PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Chiefs camp buzz: Whos the No. 1 running back?

Tribal Warfare
08-11-2010, 11:45 PM
Chiefs camp buzz: Who’s the No. 1 running back?
(http://www.kansascity.com/2010/08/11/2144246/chiefs-camp-buzz-whos-the-no-1.html)
Thomas Jones vs. Jamaal Charles

When they issued their depth chart early in the week, the Chiefs listed Thomas Jones as the starting running back ahead of Jamaal Charles. That’s consistent with the way they’ve lined up during training-camp practices. Jones unfailingly is sent out with the first team before Charles.

Coach Todd Haley said that situation would probably continue for the foreseeable future. But he also added, “I wouldn’t hold me to anything on the depth chart right now.”

Haley has indicated there will be enough work to keep both players happy.

“They both want to be the starter,” he said. “There’s no doubt about that. Somebody’s got to start. That’s just the way it is. We’ll do our due diligence. We’ll play the guy that gives us the best chance to win on that particular day, that particular series, that particular half, whatever it is. I will not be shy in making sure the guy that I think is running the best at a particular time is in there.”

Indoor practice

The Chiefs switched Wednesday afternoon’s practice to the indoor facility at Missouri Western State University, allowing them to accomplish a couple of goals.

“We can get out of the heat a little bit but really the number one reason is that (Friday night) we’re playing inside in a dome and on turf so it’s another great thing about being here,” Haley said of the preseason opener against the Falcons. “Facility-wise, we’ve got an opportunity to practice in the atmosphere we’re going to see (in Atlanta).”

The Chiefs even took a break of about seven minutes during the middle of practice to simulate halftime of a game. The idea was suggested to Haley by running backs coach Maurice Carthon.

“We’ll send them inside (the locker room), let them sit in there for a little bit and come out and simulate that aspect of a game, an area where we really struggled last year,” Haley said. “You don’t always know exactly why, but we need to be better.

“The more I thought about it, the more I thought, ‘That’s a pretty good idea.’ ”

Pioli happy with camp

There’s been nothing major during training camp to disrupt the Chiefs from their goal of preparing for the Sept. 13 season opener against the Chargers at Arrowhead Stadium. No major injuries, no contract hassles. It’s all just football. That makes it a good camp from the perspective of general manager Scott Pioli.

“It has been encouraging. It has been productive,” Pioli said. “We had such a good offseason and a productive offseason in a lot of ways that it has just kind of continued. The players have practiced hard and worked hard and gotten good work in. There are a lot of things you’re trying to get accomplished and you have a list of things you want to get accomplished, a lot of things you want to improve on. I’ve seen a lot of good work here.”

What you need to know about…

The offense
Brian Waters received some snaps at center, raising the possibility the Chiefs would use him as the primary backup to starter Rudy Niswanger. … Thomas Jones made the play of the day in a goal-line drill. He took the direct snap out of the wildcat formation, faked a handoff to Jerheme Urban and threw a touchdown pass to Dwayne Bowe. … It was a tough day for reserve tight end Jake O’Connell. He dropped a pass during the morning practice and finished the afternoon workout riding a stationary bike along with the other injured players.

The defense
Both starting safeties, Jon McGraw and Eric Berry, were on the first-team kickoff coverage unit. The rest of the unit was populated with reserves. … Backup cornerback Mike Richardson had a big day. He broke up a Matt Cassel pass intended for Quinten Lawrence and later intercepted Tyler Palko’s pass for Lawrence. Lawrence could have made the catch but Richardson made a stronger effort to get the ball.

Injury report
Tight end Tony Moeaki and guard Darryl Harris did not practice. O’Connell left the afternoon practice early. Safety Reshard Langford was absent from practice. Safety Jarrad Page has yet to sign his contract and is not in camp.

Daily battle
The wide-receiving spots appear to be solidifying. Bowe and Chris Chambers are the starters. Dexter McCluster and Urban will play when they Chiefs go to extra receivers. Terrance Copper seems likely to make the roster because of his special-teams ability.

Today’s schedule
The Chiefs have a walkthrough practice closed to the public and then fly to Atlanta for Friday night’s preseason opener against the Falcons.

KCrockaholic
08-11-2010, 11:47 PM
Jamaal Charles will be the man. End of story. Even Haley knows his head would be chopped off by the fans if TJ gets the majority of the snaps.

RustShack
08-11-2010, 11:49 PM
WATERS PLAYED SOME CENTER!!! Now Move Lilja to LG and start Asomoah at RG!!!

KCrockaholic
08-11-2010, 11:51 PM
:eek: Brian Waters played some Center today? I like this. Maybe Asamoah at LG is something we could see this year. But in that case, why don't Asamoah and Lilja just switch spots?

KCrockaholic
WATERS PLAYED SOME CENTER!!! Now Move Lilja to LG and start Asomoah at RG!!!

Beat me to it. A-hole :)

CoMoChief
We're screwed.

mcaj22
08-11-2010, 11:54 PM
I'd laugh if both Rudy and Casey got cut lol

notorious
08-12-2010, 12:29 AM
Brian Waters received some snaps at center,

So is this the QB controversy we have been hearing about? Even Waters would look decent competing against Cassel..........

wasi
08-12-2010, 01:14 AM
Chiefs camp buzz: Who’s the No. 1 running back?
(http://www.kansascity.com/2010/08/11/2144246/chiefs-camp-buzz-whos-the-no-1.html)

Pioli happy with camp

No major injuries, no contract hassles.

Not true, what about this.

The Chiefs waived rookie free agent RB Tervaris Johnson before Saturday’s scrimmage, replacing him on the 80-man roster with OL Dan Santucci. Johnson was working at fullback for the Chiefs through Wednesday night’s practice under the lights of Spratt. He left the field that night with an apparent injury and had not practiced since.

And

The Page situation is a contract dispute. Who edits this stuff?

Pioli Zombie
08-12-2010, 05:39 AM
Jamaal Charles will be the man. End of story. Even Haley knows his head would be chopped off by the fans if TJ gets the majority of the snaps.
Oh fuck the fans. You do what's right for the team. Maybe they have figured out Charles isn't built to not die if runs the ball 30 times a game. Jones pounded the ball for 1,400 yards last year. Letting him be the workhorse while Charles gets 20 touches, including 7 or 8 pass receptions, sounds pretty awesome.

-King-
08-12-2010, 06:32 AM
Oh fuck the fans. You do what's right for the team. Maybe they have figured out Charles isn't built to not die if runs the ball 30 times a game. Jones pounded the ball for 1,400 yards last year. Letting him be the workhorse while Charles gets 20 touches, including 7 or 8 pass receptions, sounds pretty awesome.

Why the fuck should jones get more carries than JC?
Posted via Mobile Device

RedThat
08-12-2010, 06:50 AM
If this team starts Jones ahead of Charles, that would make them the dumbest mother****ers off the face of this earth.

notorious
08-12-2010, 06:53 AM
If this team starts Jones ahead of Charles, that would make them the dumbest mother****ers off the face of this earth.

Ever since they signed Jones, I have thought that he would get 250-300 carries and Charles would get 150-200 carries.

It's not how I want it, but that's probably how it will end up.

Tuckdaddy
08-12-2010, 07:23 AM

He better be the starter. I like TJ, he'll be great for mopp up duty and to get some tough yards but you don't take a home run threat off the field. JC is a bad ass in the CJ mold.

Haley should be canned if JC doesn't start.

Tuckdaddy
08-12-2010, 07:24 AM

I second that. It would be absolutely stupid. JC on the bench for anything more that a breather is crazy.

Hydrae
08-12-2010, 07:36 AM
I have said all along that I would have no problem with TJ starting. Let him pound on the defense for a while and then let those defenders tired legs try to catch up to a fresh JC.

Nzoner
08-12-2010, 07:58 AM
Ever since they signed Jones, I have thought that he would get 250-300 carries and Charles would get 150-200 carries.

It's not how I want it, but that's probably how it will end up.

The ONLY way that happens is *gulp* an injury to JC

suds79
08-12-2010, 08:17 AM
I'm convinced that they're doing this to try to push Jamaal. So he doesn't get some sense of entitlement. It wouldn't be the first time they've done this with a player.

Everybody knows that Jamaal is right now about the only guy on offense who could be regarded a superstar by the end of this year.

Rushed for 1,000+ in a 1/2 season and lead the league in yards per carry (even over Chris Johnson).

To say he can't take the beating is simply foolish. No RB can take a 25 carries per game forever. RB is by nature a position that has a short lifespan. TJ is the exception. Not the rule. Typically you only have about 3-4 good years with a RB before they're too busted up.

So lets use the crap out of the guy and enjoy the next few years as he establishes himself as a top 5 back.

Carles is this team's future. Not TJ.

I'd like to see in a given game...

Jamaal: 15 carries with a few catches (screens)
TJ: 10 carries (and used heavily for short yardage and goalline)
McCluster: anything else left over as for touches at the RB spot.

SenselessChiefsFan
08-12-2010, 08:29 AM

Yeah, starting a guy who is built better to carry the load, and using Charles more as a situational back and receiver out of the backfield because he is an explosive player and probably more effective that way.... is totally moronic.

'Hamas' Jenkins
08-12-2010, 08:46 AM
"It was a tough day for reserve tight end Jake O’Connell. He dropped a pass during the morning practice and finished the afternoon workout riding a stationary bike along with the other injured players."

God, I fucking hate this guy.

Consistent1
08-12-2010, 08:47 AM
I just want the team to stay healthy and win some games. I know Charles is a player with fascinating potential. That last Denver game was fun, but you can't go crazy on it alone. Denver shut his ass down hard the first game. He had other nice games, and some not so great. Jones has been through ups and downs as a RB1. I have no problem with either getting more of the carries if it works. Some guys on here act like Charles is their new girlfriend. The thing we should be happy about is that the running game is a strength if the line plays decent.

MOhillbilly
08-12-2010, 08:47 AM
Give the ball to the more durable back. Fuck us if waters slowmotion ass starts at center anyway.

'Hamas' Jenkins
08-12-2010, 08:48 AM
FWIW, Charles isn't built to take a full pounding, IMO.

I think that limiting him to about 18 touches a game over the course of an entire season is the best way to ensure his durability for several years.

18 touches a game would work out to about 288 over the course of a year.

If he got 225 carries and about 60 catches, I think we'd all be plenty happy with that, no?

RustShack
08-12-2010, 08:51 AM
The ONLY way that happens is *gulp* an injury to JC

And that injury is going to happen if Charles is on the field as much as people in this thread want him to be. Personally I would rather him make some big plays in every game rather than just a few games until he gets hurt and/or only have him be a big time threat for another year or two because we pounded him to the ground.

MOhillbilly
08-12-2010, 08:52 AM
225 carries and about 60 catches = backflips.

RustShack
08-12-2010, 08:52 AM
I'm convinced that they're doing this to try to push Jamaal. So he doesn't get some sense of entitlement. It wouldn't be the first time they've done this with a player.

Everybody knows that Jamaal is right now about the only guy on offense who could be regarded a superstar by the end of this year.

Rushed for 1,000+ in a 1/2 season and lead the league in yards per carry (even over Chris Johnson).

To say he can't take the beating is simply foolish. No RB can take a 25 carries per game forever. RB is by nature a position that has a short lifespan. TJ is the exception. Not the rule. Typically you only have about 3-4 good years with a RB before they're too busted up.

So lets use the crap out of the guy and enjoy the next few years as he establishes himself as a top 5 back.

Carles is this team's future. Not TJ.

I'd like to see in a given game...

Jamaal: 15 carries with a few catches (screens)
TJ: 10 carries (and used heavily for short yardage and goalline)
McCluster: anything else left over as for touches at the RB spot.

So if Charles is only going to have a few years of being great, shouldn't we at least save him up for the future instead of wasting his talent now when we suck?

RustShack
08-12-2010, 08:54 AM
And besides Haley has already stated we will ride the "hot hand" SO if thats Charles(which everyone knows it will be) we will be running him most of the time.

RippedmyFlesh
08-12-2010, 08:57 AM

I think that limiting him to about 18 touches a game over the course of an entire season is the best way to ensure his durability for several years.

If he got 225 carries and about 60 catches, I think we'd all be plenty happy with that, no?
And if that were the case have a LT type career instead of lj/jamal anderson burn out in a couple of years scenario.

Nzoner
08-12-2010, 08:59 AM
And that injury is going to happen if Charles is on the field as much as people in this thread want him to be. Personally I would rather him make some big plays in every game rather than just a few games until he gets hurt and/or only have him be a big time threat for another year or two because we pounded him to the ground.

I'm not an advocate for JC getting the full load,I'm on the pound TJ bring in JC's fresh legs,use McCluster then finish off with pounding TJ if the game permits.My post was simply stating that I don't see TJ having that many more carries than JC by seasons end unless it's due to an injury.

suds79
08-12-2010, 09:03 AM
So if Charles is only going to have a few years of being great, shouldn't we at least save him up for the future instead of wasting his talent now when we suck?

No because I simply don't think Jamaal will be as explosive when he's hovering around 30 as compared to right now. Regardless of # of carries. RB is a young man's position.

I should clarify on that point above: (IMO his great years will be now 23-29. Time is a wastin. You either use him or you don't)

Besides. This is the Chiefs time to start making moves.

This year - be competitive (8-8 or somewhere)
Next year - Playoffs
Year after - Better go deep in playoffs.

The only way that plan above happens is if we have some guys turn into superstars and Jamaal has that kind of ability.

I'm not saying feed him 25 times a game. Nobody can take that over the long haul. That's why there is RBBC now a days. That's why we have TJ.

I'm talking about the starter. You'd be foolish to not get your best talent or best playmaker get the most touches.

The guy has averaged 5.7 YPG for his career. What more does he have to prove?

jbwm89
08-12-2010, 09:04 AM
Yeah, starting a guy who is built better to carry the load, and using Charles more as a situational back and receiver out of the backfield because he is an explosive player and probably more effective that way.... is totally moronic.

Exactly

Another way to look at it, why use Charles up this year so we can win 4-6 games when you can conserve him and in 1-2 years when we are ready to make a run we can still have a fresh JC.

Consistent1
08-12-2010, 09:13 AM
Exactly

Another way to look at it, why use Charles up this year so we can win 4-6 games when you can conserve him and in 1-2 years when we are ready to make a run we can still have a fresh JC.

Hell, I have gotten bashed for saying stuff like this in other threads. Like I said, no reason to see if we can get him 1600 yards on a 6-10 team. There are some here that I believe just want to grab him in fantasy drafts. Ha. He is still young and will get solid experience also. We are in good shape with this situation.

penchief
08-12-2010, 09:13 AM
Why the **** should jones get more carries than JC?
Posted via Mobile Device

The big picture is what counts. How they use Charles will be more important. That will determine how effective he'll be. It seems like people are always looking for a reason to be pissed off when there really isn't one. Chill bro. It's all good. Charles will get his carries and have his chance to shine. And he'll be able to do it without the entire defense keying on his every move. Developing a sound gameplan is more important than who gets the most carries. Finding the best way to win is all that matters.

suds79
08-12-2010, 09:14 AM
I guess in closing I just don't get the concept of trying to limit a guy to "save him" for years down the road when he has the potential to be a superstar now.

You can't take that chance. If someone can be great now, you use him. If you don't, not only do you waste some of their years of greatness, but the team's improvement is slower thus setting everything back.

Plus regardless of carries, a fluke injury can happen at any time. Would be a shame to "save him" only to have that possibly happen down the road and never experience what he could have done.

15-18 carries per game would be good.

penchief
08-12-2010, 09:15 AM

Some of you put way too much emphasis on the wrong things, IMO. Who is in the game when the first whistle blows is far less important than the way in which both backs are utilized within an effective gameplan.

penchief
08-12-2010, 09:16 AM
Haley should be canned if JC doesn't start.

Blah, blah, blah.

MOhillbilly
08-12-2010, 09:17 AM
lets just line up in a wing-T. problem solved.

gblowfish
08-12-2010, 09:23 AM
Play all the fringe guys. Don't want to see anybody get hurt on Friday the 13th.

Sully
08-12-2010, 09:24 AM
Probably wouldn't be an issue if Charles' left shoulder wasn't about as solid as a Lego set.

Martin Riggs had a tougher time trying to dislocate a shoulder.

KCtotheSB
08-12-2010, 09:28 AM
Does it ultimately matter?

The days of having "one workhorse back" are gone. For the most part in the NFL, you won't have a true #1 running back moreso than running backs 1A and 1B. Charles is more of a speedy, shifty type of back while I equate Jones to a bruising back that will get you those tough yards. Either back is going to be more beneficial in certain situations (4th and 1 = Jones up the gut, 3rd and 14 = Charles on a screen or draw) and both are exceptional at what they do.

buddha
08-12-2010, 09:40 AM
Jones is a work horse back, whereas nobody knows how much beating Charles can take. Who gives a rip about who starts...how pee wee football of those of you who do! Who cares? It's about playing time and getting the job done. Would it make you mental midgets happy if Charles started, but TJ ended up getting more snaps? Who freaking cares?

Let's move the ball, score touchdowns and win games. I couldn't care less who is doing it.

-King-
08-12-2010, 09:41 AM

This is the type of workload i was thinking.
Posted via Mobile Device

-King-
08-12-2010, 09:43 AM
Exactly

Yes, lets also sit Flowers, Albert, Dorsey, Bowe and McCluster so that we can conserve them till we can make a run.
Posted via Mobile Device

notorious
08-12-2010, 10:20 AM
Play all the fringe guys. Don't want to see anybody get hurt on Friday the 13th.

Moeaki better lock himself in a padded room this Friday.

BossChief
08-12-2010, 10:23 AM

If he got 225 carries and about 60 catches, I think we'd all be plenty happy with that, no?this has been pretty much my take since the day we discussed signing Jones.

I want to see JC be a factor in the coming few years when we might have a shot. This year isnt gonna lead to the playoffs, so why raise the risk level of serious injury of one of our only star players?

Id be perfectly fine if by the end of the year they both have equal touches.

notorious
08-12-2010, 10:26 AM
This is going to piss a lot of people off.........

Charles = Kevin Faulk

Jones = Corey Dillon

This is probably how the chips are going to fall IMO.

noa
08-12-2010, 11:03 AM
I think it matters less and less who the starting RB is on a team now that carries are split so much.

'Hamas' Jenkins
08-12-2010, 11:08 AM

Charles = Kevin Faulk

Jones = Corey Dillon

Faulk can't hold Charles' jock. That would be a gross misallocation of his talent.

MOhillbilly
08-12-2010, 11:11 AM

Charles = Kevin Faulk

Jones = Corey Dillon

lol. man i love FB on CP.

Mr. Laz
08-12-2010, 11:47 AM
I have said all along that I would have no problem with TJ starting. Let him pound on the defense for a while and then let those defenders tired legs try to catch up to a fresh JC.
yep, Thomas Jones gets more carries in the 1st half and Charles gets more in the 2nd half.

notorious
08-12-2010, 11:48 AM
Faulk can't hold Charles' jock. That would be a gross misallocation of his talent.

My thoughts exactly.

When was the last time this team did anything that made sense?

notorious
08-12-2010, 11:49 AM
lol. man i love FB on CP.

Trust me MO, I don't like it either, but we better brace ourselves for a lot of "WTF?" moves.

boogblaster
08-12-2010, 12:04 PM
im ashamed .. again .......

suds79
08-12-2010, 12:31 PM
yep, Thomas Jones gets more carries in the 1st half and Charles gets more in the 2nd half.

I've heard this theory but I think it's a safe assumption that we'll be behind in a lot of 2nd halves and needing to pass to catch up.

Would be nice to get that lead first. So get it in the hands of the guy who can score a boatload of TDs early and often.

Okay I'm done. I could go back and forth on this all day. They'll both get plenty of touches. We all want that.

I just hope by season's end our best player, Jamaal Charles, will have received the majority of them.

Mr. Laz
08-12-2010, 12:45 PM
im ashamed .. again .......
aren't you the one that said i was an idiot for speculating that Haley would give Thomas Jones every chance to be the starter?

:hmmm:

notorious
08-12-2010, 12:47 PM
aren't you the one that said i was an idiot for speculating that Haley would give Thomas Jones every chance to be the starter?

:hmmm:

With this staff, I wouldn't consider that speculation.

thurman merman
08-12-2010, 12:50 PM

Well, besides anyone associated with the Cowboys, Broncos, or Raiders organizations, I agree with that.

OnTheWarpath58
08-12-2010, 01:22 PM

I'd prefer closer to 250, personally, plus his 60 catches. That just under 20 touches a game. 15 carries and 5 receptions.

We ran the ball 438 times later year.

250 carries would be roughly a 60-40 split.

JMO.

thurman merman
08-12-2010, 01:45 PM
I can't believe there is even a debate about this. Charles should get at least 80% of the carries. He is clearly a much more explosive player than Jones.

OnTheWarpath58
08-12-2010, 01:46 PM
I can't believe there is even a debate about this. Charles should get at least 80% of the carries. He is clearly a much more explosive player than Jones.

I'd agree, until you break it down.

80% of the carries is around 350. And that's not counting his receiving touches.

No way in hell he can handle 350 carries.

ChiTown
08-12-2010, 01:51 PM

80% of the carries is around 350. And that's not counting his receiving touches.

Agreed. He's a tough kid, but he ain't gonna last touching the ball 300+ times in the season. I'm guessing he'll average about 14 carries per game , and TJ will probably avg close to the same. It'll be nice to have some options in the backfield for a change.

rambleonthruthefog
08-12-2010, 01:57 PM
OTW is pretty much right on the money with this one. 300+ carries plus rec. is too much. nothing wrong with TJ buston the D's chops 30-40% of the carries. a good one-two punch is a great weapon to have. keep em both fresh and hungry.

JASONSAUTO
08-12-2010, 02:03 PM

agree here.

60 40 sounds good and they should be mostly second half touches.

let charles wear em down

RedThat
08-12-2010, 04:42 PM

If Jones was 24 or 25, I would agree with you. However, he is 32 years old.

Don't get me wrong, I mean Jones may be built, and all. Which is great and that may help him. Lots of RB's are built like brickhouses. But lets not forget, football is about handling physicality and when you get older, it is a lot harder to do that. Your body doesn't recover as well. I wouldn't emphasize so much on physique structure, what matters more is the age difference. RB is a position that seems to have an expectancy. Most of the time it usually tells us that once guys hit their 30's they're usually either done or at the downside of their careers. That gives us indication to believe it's a young mans position.

Jones is 32, Charles is 24. Big difference. Who's body will recover better after taking poundages game in and game out? Thats what you got to look at.

I know TJ had a good season last year probably the best he's ever had, but he is at that age where a slip in play could easily happen. You just simply don't start a veteran RB who may be on the downside of his career over a young, up and coming RB. It's not smart at all.

RustShack
08-12-2010, 04:56 PM
Maybe they want Jones working with the first team because hes a veteran, works harder than anyone on our team, and is the type of guy you want your talented guys to feed off of and hope they can take after him on what he does. It could also have something to do with the fact that Charles was playing hurt last year and they want him completely healed up for the season. Could be that they are taking this as a measure to keep his small weak body strong for the season. Could be because they don't want him to think he can put it on cruise control and not have to work for a starting job anymore.

I don't see why anyone is looking into this at all. Hes going to get the ball more than Jones regardless of who gets it first. Also as I've already said, Haley said the hottest back will get the ball. If Charles is making plays he will get the ball. If Jones is making plays he will get the ball.

RedThat
08-12-2010, 05:06 PM
Some of you put way too much emphasis on the wrong things, IMO. Who is in the game when the first whistle blows is far less important than the way in which both backs are utilized within an effective gameplan.

True.

But I would have a problem if this team decided that Jones would get a majority of the carries. It is about who makes your team better though. Thats what I would like to see. The guy who deserves more playing time is the guy who makes your team better. To me, that is JC.

It just wouldn't make sense to me to limit your best player in JC who undoubtedly proved last year he was the teams best player. Your best player should be on the field as much as possible especially when you know he can take it to the house everytime.

And not only that, but also having JC taking a majority of the snaps would allow defenses to focus in on him more and that would be great because it allows the offense to open up. Having Charles on the field creates more worry, havoc to opposing defenses since he is more of a threat. That allows your team to be more creative, and gives you far more options as what your team could do when it comes to both run and pass offense. I just simply believe he makes other guys around him better.

RustShack
08-12-2010, 05:25 PM
Really thought it is a none issue. Thomas Jones is the guy we want Charles learning from. He needs to sit down and take notes on how he does things. Jones needs to take him under his wing in nearly every aspect of life to help preserve his body and career. Charles is good and has the talent to be great. Jones could be the difference between Charles being as good as he is now to becoming one of the greats.

As for the Dillion and Faulk comparison... Johnson and Holmes might be a little better talent wise. The other one makes sense though.. but I think "Faulk" will get used more here. It will be interesting to see how Charles handles a full year, probably a lot better now that we have someone as good as Jones to help preserve him... but Keyston Moore will likely be our third RB so we still have the "Faulk" if Charles were to get hurt.

RustShack
08-12-2010, 06:16 PM
Thomas Jones vs. Jamaal Charles

When they issued their depth chart early in the week, the Chiefs listed Thomas Jones as the starting running back ahead of Jamaal Charles. That’s consistent with the way they’ve lined up during training camp practices. Jones unfailing is sent out with the first team before Charles.

Coach Todd Haley said that situation would probably continue for the foreseeable future. But he also added, ''I wouldn’t hold me to anything on the depth chart right now.''

Haley has indicated there will be enough work to keep both players happy.

''They both want to be the starter,'' he said. ''There’s no doubt about that. Somebody’s got to start. That’s just the way it is. We’ll do our due diligence. We’ll play the guy that gives us the best chance to win on that particular day, that particular series, that particular half, whatever it is. I will not be shy in making sure the guy that I think is running the best at a particular time is in there.''