PDA

View Full Version : Food and Drink Spinoff: Mi Ranchito - Love it or Hate it

Silock
08-12-2010, 02:07 AM
I love it.

Are there better places? Sure. But I love it. It's a helluva lot closer than Ponax.

DaneMcCloud
08-12-2010, 02:32 AM
It's pure Tex-Mex.

Chimichanga's, Fajita's and so on.

I've never eaten there so it may be high quality, but from looking at the menu, it's about as Mexican as a hotdog.

bevischief
08-12-2010, 07:27 AM
Good stuff.

jiveturkey
08-12-2010, 08:08 AM
F'in hate it.

I'll add that 90% of the Mexican food in this town sucks. It's gone the way of Chinese.

mikeyis4dcats.
08-12-2010, 08:34 AM
It's pure Tex-Mex.

I've never eaten there so it may be high quality, but from looking at the menu, it's about as Mexican as a hotdog.

who said it was supposed to be authentic mexican?

sedated
08-12-2010, 08:41 AM
It's pure Tex-Mex.

no shit, sherlock.

but thanks for your dose of superiority

bevischief
08-12-2010, 09:11 AM
They are always Mexicans in there eating all the time.

jiveturkey
08-12-2010, 09:23 AM
They are always Mexicans in there eating all the time.
And Chinese people eat at shitty Chinese buffets.

Dartgod
08-12-2010, 09:31 AM
Guadalajara Grill FTW!

MOhillbilly
08-12-2010, 09:37 AM
nomenclatures dudes

Stewie
08-12-2010, 11:23 AM
Mi Ranchito has really good food. I've probably eaten there 20 times, mostly for lunch. I don't understand the hate. It's Tex-Mex food, but they do it very well.

DaneMcCloud
08-12-2010, 11:34 AM
no shit, sherlock.

but thanks for your dose of superiority

I'm sorry that my thoughts about Mexican food has wounded your tender labia.

I'll try to be more gentle in the future.

phoenix
12-01-2011, 02:22 PM
It's pure Tex-Mex.

They have carne asada platillo, puerco verde and several other authentic dishes listed on their menu as well as standard offerings.
Their version of standard Mexican fare is just better than any other I've ever had.
The Pollo del Mar is FANTASTIC, and since discovering it, I can't seem to order anything else.

memyselfI
12-01-2011, 02:26 PM
Love it. So do many other Mexicans I know. I also know some who hate it. My Mother is the best Mexican cook I've ever known and she really likes it.

ChiefFripp
12-01-2011, 02:29 PM
Prefer Don Chilitos but I still like Mi Ranchito. I don't care if something is authentic as long as I like the taste.

L.A. Chieffan
12-01-2011, 02:29 PM
Come back dane

sedated
12-01-2011, 02:30 PM
I'm sorry that my thoughts about Mexican food has wounded your tender labia.

IT'S TEX-MEX, IT'S NOT MEXICAN!!!!!

sedated
12-01-2011, 02:31 PM
I loved Mi Ranchito for a year or so, but now I think the margaritas are way too heavy and tart. My new favorite on OP is Chapala near I-35 and Sante Fe. But my favorite in overall is Taqueria Mexico on SW Blvd and Rainbow.

ReynardMuldrake
12-01-2011, 02:31 PM
Terrible, one of the worst. Bland food. Their salsa tastes like ketchup. I can think of a dozen Mexican restaurants I would rather go to first.

eazyb81
12-01-2011, 02:32 PM
They have carne asada platillo, puerco verde and several other authentic dishes listed on their menu as well as standard offerings.
Their version of standard Mexican fare is just better than any other I've ever had.
The Pollo del Mar is FANTASTIC, and since discovering it, I can't seem to order anything else.

Thanks for stopping by Mr. Mi Ranchito.

burt
12-01-2011, 02:38 PM
I loved Mi Ranchito for a year or so, but now I think the margaritas are way too heavy and tart. My new favorite on OP is Chapala near I-35 and Sante Fe. But my favorite in overall is Taqueria Mexico on SW Blvd and Rainbow.

Really? Their Margarita's used to rock, each one being hand made! The food became meh. Chapala has awesome Carnitas. Or at least they did.

memyselfI
12-01-2011, 02:41 PM
Really? Their Margarita's used to rock, each one being hand made! The food became meh. Chapala has awesome Carnitas. Or at least they did.

Taqueria Mexico used to be our absolute favorite till we moved close to MR. We tried it about a month ago. Didn't even finish our meal. It was sooooo bad. And it's so loud and obnoxious in there that you can't even hear the other person with you talk. Never again.

memyselfI
12-01-2011, 02:41 PM

The House margaritas suck. The large specialty margaritas are amazing. Plus, they qualify as healthy because of the fruit they put in to garnish. :D

ChiefFripp
12-01-2011, 02:42 PM
On a related topic, if you like Chipotle, try Moe's Southwestern grill. It's way better and their choice of salsa is killer. They were all over the place in Orlando but in the KC area I think there is one on 66th street and Monticello in Shawnee.

memyselfI
12-01-2011, 02:42 PM
IT'S TEX-MEX, IT'S NOT MEXICAN!!!!!

Much of it is. But they have a number of authentic dishes on their menu for the 'real' Mexican diners.

burt
12-01-2011, 02:45 PM
The House margaritas suck. The large specialty margaritas are amazing. Plus, they qualify as healthy because of the fruit they put in to garnish. :D

If I get down around "the boulevard", I have to go to "El Taquito La Fonda".

I have been going there since about 1980. It was a tad bit better then but it is still good. Interesting "Sopas" as well.

burt
12-01-2011, 02:46 PM
On a related topic, if you like Chipotle, try Moe's Southwestern grill. It's way better and their choice of salsa is killer. They were all over the place in Orlando but in the KC area I think there is one on 66th street and Monticello in Shawnee.

Moes sucks in comparison.

memyselfI
12-01-2011, 02:48 PM
If I get down around "the boulevard", I have to go to "El Taquito La Fonda".

I have been going there since about 1980. It was a tad bit better then but it is still good. Interesting "Sopas" as well.

Great food...for years! :thumb:

burt
12-01-2011, 02:50 PM
Great food...for years! :thumb:

Did you ever try it, back in the day, when it was way up the hill on Summit?

memyselfI
12-01-2011, 02:52 PM
Did you ever try it, back in the day, when it was way up the hill on Summit?

Yes, damn those were good eatin days. My car as actually parked in front of their newer location when it got hit and run. That was a freakin expensive dinner. :banghead:LMAO

vailpass
12-01-2011, 02:59 PM
Thanks for stopping by Mr. Mi Ranchito.

LMAO yep

BigRichard
12-01-2011, 03:00 PM
Who are the trolls bumpin this old shit? I thought for a second that Dane was back.

sedated
12-01-2011, 03:05 PM
Taqueria Mexico used to be our absolute favorite till we moved close to MR. We tried it about a month ago. Didn't even finish our meal. It was sooooo bad. And it's so loud and obnoxious in there that you can't even hear the other person with you talk. Never again.

Not my experience at all. Iíve only been during the week after work, and the place hasnít been busy then. Food and service are always great, and they have a specialty dip of the day that they give you with the pre-meal chips and salsa. I will be returning soon.

SLAG
12-01-2011, 03:12 PM
Prefer Don Chilitos but I still like Mi Ranchito. I don't care if something is authentic as long as I like the taste.

I am NOT a Don Chilitios Fan -They Microwave everything in front of you

Mi Ranchito is okay - last time i was there they left the wrapper on the cheese that went on my burrito so I bit into a nice chunk of plastic... got a good discount on the bill though.

use to love chapalas - but last time I was there service had turned not the same waiters and they were rude

burt
12-01-2011, 03:17 PM

That is true, but I have enjoyed many microwaved dishes there.

burt
12-01-2011, 03:17 PM
Who are the trolls bumpin this old shit? I thought for a second that Dane was back.

Who you callin' a troll, n00b?

AZORChiefFan
12-01-2011, 03:38 PM
Real Jalisco in Blue Springs is all kinds of good. Worth the drive.

memyselfI
12-01-2011, 03:55 PM

Mi Ranchito is okay - last time i was there they left the wrapper on the cheese that went on my burrito so I bit into a nice chunk of plastic... got a good discount on the bill though.

use to love chapalas - but last time I was there service had turned not the same waiters and they were rude

The sopapilla bar there is pretty fine...minus the cockroaches. Everything else, yuck.

KCrockaholic
12-01-2011, 04:00 PM
I like Mi Ranchito.

gblowfish
12-01-2011, 04:01 PM
It's OK, when they don't put pesticide in the salsa...

Micjones
12-01-2011, 04:01 PM
Love that place. The food is really good.

journeyscarab
12-01-2011, 04:14 PM
Their salsa rocks. The food is great. Love the Del Norte Burrito!

Demonpenz
12-01-2011, 04:49 PM
I like it, I didn't think it was going to get a bunch of love on here, but everything is good. I guess the only time I notice restaurants is when they are really shitty.

ReynardMuldrake
12-01-2011, 04:57 PM

News flash: Pretty much EVERY mexican restaurant microwaves your food before they give it to you. Don Chilitos just does it in plain view.

bevischief
12-01-2011, 06:39 PM
Better than anything up here in Fargo.

CHENZ A!
12-01-2011, 06:46 PM
Don't love it, don't hate it. You can get a pretty decent meal there. I probably go there several times a year.

Munson
12-01-2011, 06:47 PM
Never had Mi Ranchito. But Chapala's is my favorite. The worst I've had is from a place called Manny's out in KC. I think its somewhere off Southwest Blvd. Their food tastes like cardboard.

Dayze
12-02-2011, 11:59 AM
Never had Mi Ranchito. But Chapala's is my favorite. The worst I've had is from a place called Manny's out in KC. I think its somewhere off Southwest Blvd. Their food tastes like cardboard.

I used to LOVE Manny's. But, I haven't been there in probably 5 years. So, no idea how it is now. I do know that the last time I went there, I noticed their prices had increased considerably, which was disappointing.

journeyscarab
12-02-2011, 12:08 PM

Manny's is horrid. No flavor. Bland, bland, bland.

gblowfish
12-02-2011, 12:20 PM
You guys must have caught Manny's on a bad night. They have many spicy dishes, and yes, they did raise their prices a few months back. But they're still a good value. The enchiladas and fajitas are both very good, and their guacamole is good too. I go to Manny's and Ponak's both, and like them both.

Pants
12-02-2011, 12:29 PM
I used to love La Mesa and was pretty much the only Mexican place I'd go to. They were always busy but then inexplicably they decided to close. :(

Stewie
12-02-2011, 12:39 PM
I like this guy's blog about local food. He finds some of the out of the way places that you'd never find otherwise. Here are a few of his Mexican restaurant reviews.

http://www.kclunchspots.com/category/mexican/

sedated
12-02-2011, 12:45 PM
The worst I've had is from a place called Manny's out in KC. I think its somewhere off Southwest Blvd. Their food tastes like cardboard.

Iíve never understood the Mannyís love, but Iíve only been there twice. And any place that charges for extra chips and salsa is already starting out badly.

I'm a fan of a place pretty close to that - Los Tule's on Broadway, right near the I-35 bridge (about a block away from the Denny's)

burt
12-02-2011, 12:53 PM
I had often wondered about Rico's Tacos.........but it is so close to "El Taquito La Fonda" that I can't resist my old favorite. I will probably never experience Rico's.