PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Mellinger:Chiefs safety Eric Berry returns home for first pro game

Tribal Warfare
08-13-2010, 12:17 AM
Chiefs safety Eric Berry returns home for first pro game (http://www.kansascity.com/2010/08/12/2146723/chiefs-safety-eric-berry-returns.html)
SAM MELLINGER COMMENTARY

ATLANTA | Eric Berry wants to show you his arms. This is important to him so, by definition, it is important to the Chiefs. He brings his family wherever he goes now, even here, where he grew up, where they’re already waiting.

He points to his arms. Look here.

“My brothers are tattooed on my biceps,” he says, “because they’re my strength.”

Next to his brothers’ names is “BERRY” on his right arm and “PRIDE” on his left. His mother is tattooed over his heart. His aunt on the other side of his chest. All around Chiefs camp and all around Atlanta people fall over themselves to say nice things about Berry.

His high school coach calls him the best human being he ever coached. The stories run together by now, about how he put off his commitment to Tennessee for more than a year so his teammates could be seen by more colleges, or how he helped his grandma cook Thanksgiving dinner between two practices a few days before the biggest high school game of his life, or how he was so modest his Spanish teacher didn’t even know he played football until seeing the all-state team in the newspaper.

The Chiefs are betting their future on young players with solid backgrounds, and nobody symbolizes that better than Berry. People ask him why he’s this way. They’d do better to ask his mother.

“He’d get a scholarship offer,” Barbara Berry says, “and we’d say, ‘That’s great, now do your chores.’ ”

•••

Eric Berry has never been much of a secret here, not in Atlanta, where he grew into a high school All-America football player. Back at Creekside, he was the top cornerback recruit in the country and a triple-option quarterback who went for more than 2,500 total yards and 31 touchdowns as a senior.

Berry became an All-America at Tennessee, too. Everyone’s highlight may be the hit against Georgia, the one that left Knowshon Moreno doubted over on the sideline, gasping for air.

Berry is skipping his senior season and has more than half his $60 million contract guaranteed, which is attracting all sorts of opportunistic phone calls from folks who are learning how Berry got to this point. Maybe they missed the National Honor Society line on his resume.

KCrockaholic
08-13-2010, 12:21 AM
I think we need to draft his brothers too when they turn pro. Just have a whole Berry and Flowers picking team.

Tribal Warfare
08-13-2010, 12:23 AM
I think we need to draft his brothers too when they turn pro. Just have a whole Berry and Flowers picking team.

Do they play NT?

DA_T_84
08-13-2010, 12:32 AM
he put off his commitment to Tennessee for more than a year so his teammates could be seen by more colleges

Awesome.