PDA

View Full Version : Economics NYC disability pays $42,000 a year

The Mad Crapper
08-13-2010, 07:29 PM
Wow, that's damn good, all you have to do is pretend to be crazy and get a doctor to rubber stamp it, you get $42,000 a year!

Signs of a crackdown

City officials may be starting to feel taxpayers' pain, rather than the supposed pain of public-sector pension scammers. Sure is about time.

As The Post's Philip Messing reported Sunday, the NYPD has now suspended or revoked more than two dozen pistol permits held by retired cops who filed Social Security claims for mental disability.

Ex-cops who want to keep their guns must swear that they aren't on medication for mental illness. But probers found that some of the cops, who already were getting fat tax-free disability pensions, put in Social Security mental-illness claims that could net them up to $42,000 a year in extra benefits.

They used a small network of psychiatrists, who wrote prescriptions for drugs to treat various mental illnesses.

Talk about insane greed!

This comes on the heels of word that Fire Commissioner Sal Cassano has ordered an FDNY board to review the growing number of disability pensions given to perfectly healthy ex-firefighters.

In recent weeks, The Post has called attention to numerous dubious-pension stories -- such as retired FDNY Lt. John "Johnny Lungs" McLaughlin, who collects $86,000 in disability payments while competing in triathlons.

Meanwhile, the total pension price tag is mushrooming: This year alone, the city will shell out $7.6 billion in FDNY tax-free disability pensions.

That's partly because legal pensions are so generous, thanks to powerful public-sector unions.

But that's all the more reason to crack down on the scams.

Officials may now see that. At last.

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/news/opinion/editorials/signs_of_crackdown_ylp42Qw2FhrjwwErZaPotK#ixzz0wXGxeM3H

Rain Man
08-13-2010, 07:36 PM
I've said it before and I'll say it again. Public pensions are completely out of touch with reality and are greatly damaging this country.

When I was in Alaska, I overheard some retired teachers talking about their retirements. One of them said that he was making $65,000 a year, and he retired at 55 with a $45,000 per year pension. So that means he likely worked for 33 years, and if he lives to 88 (a fair bet), he'll get 33 years of pension. So if you ignore inflation and cost of living adjustments and stuff, he was making $110,000 working nine months a year as a teacher. I don't begrudge a person making good money, but it makes me sick when I hear people complain that teachers don't make enough money and then I hear these stories. The pensions nowadays are completely insane, particularly with regards to the age of eligibility.

(No offense, teachers. I'm not picking on you in particular. It's all public pensions.)

The Mad Crapper
08-13-2010, 07:42 PM
I've said it before and I'll say it again. Public pensions are completely out of touch with reality and are greatly damaging this country.

When I was in Alaska, I overheard some retired teachers talking about their retirements. One of them said that he was making $65,000 a year, and he retired at 55 with a $45,000 per year pension. So that means he likely worked for 33 years, and if he lives to 88 (a fair bet), he'll get 33 years of pension. So if you ignore inflation and cost of living adjustments and stuff, he was making $110,000 working nine months a year as a teacher. I don't begrudge a person making good money, but it makes me sick when I hear people complain that teachers don't make enough money and then I hear these stories. The pensions nowadays are completely insane, particularly with regards to the age of eligibility.

(No offense, teachers. I'm not picking on you in particular. It's all public pensions.)

I think I'm gonna get in on this action. No offense.

I mean, what do I have to do? Walk into city hall naked? Piss on the floor? I can do that. $42 grand a year to do nothing. That is awesome. Even better if I move to Dodge City. I'd be living large!