PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Why is Thomas Jones starting?

Chiefs Pantalones
08-13-2010, 10:06 PM
Charles is the better back for this offensive line. His athletic ability makes them look better than they are. With a back like Jones who doesn't possess those skills the line is not going to look that good (see last year with LJ).

Is Haley trying to play mind games by starting Jones? If so, it's not going to work. This a new age of players in today's NFL. That may have worked back then, but it's not now. Heck, look at players like Haynesworth. Does anyone think he learned anything from his "embarrassing" experience recently? Highly unlikely. Players don't give a shit.

Count Zarth
08-13-2010, 10:09 PM
If TJ starts the regular season, Haley will officially not have a clue.

LaChapelle
08-13-2010, 10:10 PM
The theory some radio head trotter out
was so Charles could play second string in the preseason
and win a game or two

DeezNutz
08-13-2010, 10:13 PM
To protect Charles. Because it would be impossible to monitor his workload if he were starting.

Chiefs Pantalones
08-13-2010, 10:13 PM
I'm not saying Jones is a bad back or won't make any plays, the line just doesn't mesh well with his skills. This isn't the 2002-2005 offensive line that could play any style of running game.

Chiefs Pantalones
08-13-2010, 10:14 PM
To protect Charles. Because it would be impossible to monitor his workload if he were starting.

So then we would start slow pretty much every game. It's not rocket science. I'm sure they can manage his workload with him starting.

GoHuge
08-13-2010, 10:27 PM
It's not going to matter who "starts." Jones was only in for one series. Jones will be in the rotation with Charles. Haley said just the other day that if one of these guys was tearing it up on a certain day he would be getting the majority of the snaps. Even if Jones starts Charles will still probably get more touches. Charles isn't going to be able to handle 325 snaps. Gonna need some help. This talk over who is "starting" is lame.

BossChief
08-13-2010, 10:32 PM
preseason.

To be honest, this team is built to play with a lead, if anything, at this point. We need to be firing all the cannons out the gates to have a chance at winning games. Having Charles in there to start games should be a no brainer once the real bullets start flying. Bowe, Charles, DMC and Chambers should keep defenses busy...if my boy (Moeaki) can stay healthy he can be a difference maker with the rest of those guys out there...of course a lot depends on if Cassel gets that light to turn on at one point and he starts to make plays. We need to score a lot of points in the first quarters of games.

If we get some early leads, our secondary may be opportunistic enough to take the ball away frequently and to help us hold the lead...if teams get up on us and are able to call the majority of the game with running plays, shits gonna hit the fan. If that happens early in the year, teams will have plenty on film to know just where to hit us for the rest of the year and it may be another long year.

Lets hope these coaches show the ability to properly utilize the talent we have and to continue to develop these young kids.

Chiefs Pantalones
08-13-2010, 10:34 PM
It's not going to matter who "starts." Jones was only in for one series. Jones will be in the rotation with Charles. Haley said just the other day that if one of these guys was tearing it up on a certain day he would be getting the majority of the snaps. Even if Jones starts Charles will still probably get more touches. Charles isn't going to be able to handle 325 snaps. Gonna need some help. This talk over who is "starting" is lame.

What's lame is not starting a player that's gonna get more touches than the starter. If they don't start Charles they will start off slow. Charles keeps the defense honest. I'd rather have Jones playing the first series or more if I'm a defense. I'm not scared of that or on my heels.

Count Zarth
08-13-2010, 10:37 PM
preseason.

And the true fan emerges.

Von Dumbass
08-13-2010, 10:41 PM
Jamal Charles is only good on runs to the outside. The Chiefs need a RB who can run between the tackles.

Chiefs Pantalones
08-13-2010, 10:42 PM
Seriously this would be like Jeff Fisher not starting Chris Johnson because he wants to "manage his workload." If you have a nice car, you drive it all the time.

DeezNutz
08-13-2010, 10:43 PM
Seriously this would be like Jeff Fisher not starting Chris Johnson because he wants to "manage his workload." If you have a nice car, you drive it all the time.

Only if you're ready "to compete" in that nice car. We're still in the "evaluation" period.

5-11 will be progress.

Chiefs Pantalones
08-13-2010, 10:43 PM
Jamal Charles is only good on runs to the outside. The Chiefs need a RB who can run between the tackles.

Then Denver needs to get quicker on the edges then. 259 yards? Damn.

Count Zarth
08-13-2010, 10:44 PM
Jamal Charles is only good on runs to the outside.

Your brain is only good on thoughts toward suicide.

<object height="385" width="640">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/BHxtxzxXAn0?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" height="385" width="640"></object>

Chiefs Pantalones
08-13-2010, 10:45 PM
Only if you're ready "to compete" in that nice car. We're still in the "evaluation" period.

5-11 will be progress.

By getting better you play your best players. You don't wait to get better in other areas. You don't save your players. That hurts the rest of the team, the progress and retards the growth.

Von Dumbass
08-13-2010, 10:45 PM
That was a gimmick play that caught a bad team off-guard.

BossChief
08-13-2010, 10:46 PM
And the true fan emerges.

Far from it...I have been critical of every player I think is deserving of such and have been pretty objective regarding the players I have hope for.

Fact is that Charles missed a lot of time this offseason due to surgery and it doesn't bother me one iota that Jones took snaps on the first drive of the first preseason game.

Did you read the rest of that post?

tk13
08-13-2010, 10:47 PM
Screw that.... I've seen enough from Charles already. Dude is ready to go. If we didn't give him another snap until the regular season I'd be fine with that.

Chiefs Pantalones
08-13-2010, 10:48 PM

Are you really this retarded?

Thig Lyfe
08-14-2010, 12:18 AM

Inside draws are gimmick plays now?

Just Passin' By
08-14-2010, 12:26 AM
Who's starting, especially for game one of the exhibition season, is all but meaningless.

Mojo Jojo
08-14-2010, 01:18 AM
Too much is being made of this...being labeled a "starter" in the NFL doesn't mean sh*t. This isn't soccer or baseball and you fill out a lineup and if a change is made the original player can't return (except for the 3rd QB rule that seems to change every year). It is about the quality of plays you make...
Barry Word set a Chiefs single game rushing record as a "non-starter"
Stephone Paige set a NFL single game receiving record as a "non-starter"
Tim Grunhard played his first season as the "back-up" to Mike Webster, but guess who got more snaps.
This isn't high school...these guys are paid (very well) to do a job...
"Starting RB" vs. "Backup RB" means nothing when the game is done...just do your job.

Bambi
08-14-2010, 01:22 AM
We are really weak at RB...

Sorry to break it to ya'll.

The Jets knew what they were doing when they let TJ go

Priest31kc
08-14-2010, 01:26 AM

Umm, I cant tell if your being serious or not...

And if you are, LMAO

Your already calling Jones done after 2 fucking carries in a preseason game? And even if he was done, Jamaal Charles alone makes the RB position a strength.

Bambi
08-14-2010, 01:29 AM
Umm, I cant tell if your being serious or not...

And if you are, LMAO

Your already calling Jones done after 2 ****ing carries in a preseason game? And even if he was done, Jamaal Charles alone makes the RB position a strength.

I hope you're right. I really do... But running backs drop off the face of the earth really quick. And TJ is at that point.

JC can be a 8-10 carry type back a game but not the #1 guy.

This is a real problem.

Jamal Charles is not a #1 RB. He's too small.

Red Beans
08-14-2010, 01:32 AM
I hope you're right. I really do... But running backs drop off the face of the earth really quick. And TJ is at that point.

This is a real problem.

:shake: I'm not even going to qualify this with any kind of rational comment.

Bambi
08-14-2010, 01:41 AM
:shake: I'm not even going to qualify this with any kind of rational comment.

Jamaal Charles has had 25 attempts rushing exactly 2 times in his career.

That's not by accident.

milkman
08-14-2010, 03:17 AM

That's not by accident.

Charles is 6'1" and 200 lbs.
Chris Johnson is 5'11" and 195.

I suppose you're going to tell me CJ is too small, right?

And to the claim that the Jets know what they are doing.

They let Jones go, but replace him with a LaDainian Tomlinson, who's already declined to the point of suckage.

Yeah, they know what they're doing.

KC Tattoo
08-14-2010, 03:27 AM

That's not by accident.

Did you watch Jamaal Charles at all last year dude? The kid gets better as the game goes. He would have had just as good of a season as Chris Johnson or eve Adrian Peterson, he didn't start till after LJ got released. And now we have Dexter to go with the flow so we won't miss a beat. Jones will play some but he won't get the yards or touches as JC does and Dexter is going to be all over the place. Our running game is going to be sound for sure. The problem is the O-line and QB Cassel getting the ball to the weapons we have.

LaChapelle
08-14-2010, 03:48 AM
When is enough, enough..

I have had my fair share of threaten bannings with people on this site (you know who you are). Most times it's just good fun and I have no problem returning childish taunts when someone disagrees me.

Yesterday however, one donk hole (KnowMo) went too far when he chided Gochiefs into a wished suicide upon his assness! This Knowless is going WAY over the top and should be a lap bandable offense. If any moderators read this, I would hope that you would lap ban this jerk's gut for life!

There is no burning AIDS tree hot enough. He is eating up the good sense and common decency that is left at this mecca of class

Pasta Giant Meatball
08-14-2010, 05:23 AM
Why does it matter who "starts" as long as Jamaal gets his touches? Get a grip people, the league is full of 2 back tandems and Charles having someone to help share the load is a good thing.

-King-
08-14-2010, 06:41 AM

This is a real problem.

LMAO @ 8-10 carry type of back. So what were you doing last year when he was the #1 rusher the last half of the season?

Fuckin idiot. Just go over to the Jets board and enjoy being a front runner.

'Hamas' Jenkins
08-14-2010, 08:05 AM
Charles is the better back for this offensive line. His athletic ability makes them look better than they are. With a back like Jones who doesn't possess those skills the line is not going to look that good (see last year with LJ).

Is Haley trying to play mind games by starting Jones? If so, it's not going to work. This a new age of players in today's NFL. That may have worked back then, but it's not now. Heck, look at players like Haynesworth. Does anyone think he learned anything from his "embarrassing" experience recently? Highly unlikely. Players don't give a shit.

It's a little presumptuous to base your evaluation on two carries in the first preseason game, BUT...

TJ was running behind the best OL in the league last year, he is on the wrong side of 30, and we do know that this regime isn't exactly averse to starting over the hill players who are nowhere near as good as their backups (Goff, Johnson, Vrabel, etc.)

'Hamas' Jenkins
08-14-2010, 08:07 AM
Charles is 6'1" and 200 lbs.
Chris Johnson is 5'11" and 195.

I suppose you're going to tell me CJ is too small, right?

And to the claim that the Jets know what they are doing.

They let Jones go, but replace him with a LaDainian Tomlinson, who's already declined to the point of suckage.

Yeah, they know what they're doing.

I don't expect Johnson to last much longer than another two years...and he's only had one year of being the guy.

DBOSHO
08-14-2010, 08:13 AM

This is a real problem.

chris johnson has the exact same body type as jamaal and noone is saying hes small.

ive seen jamaal at camp. hes not small.

MadMax
08-14-2010, 08:15 AM
Did you watch Jamaal Charles at all last year dude? The kid gets better as the game goes. He would have had just as good of a season as Chris Johnson or eve Adrian Peterson, he didn't start till after LJ got released. And now we have Dexter to go with the flow so we won't miss a beat. Jones will play some but he won't get the yards or touches as JC does and Dexter is going to be all over the place. Our running game is going to be sound for sure. The problem is the O-line and QB Cassel getting the ball to the weapons we have.

YEP!!

Rausch
08-14-2010, 08:18 AM
Yesterday however, one donk hole (KnowMo) went too far when he chided Gochiefs into a wished suicide upon his assness!

Wait, what?...

TheGuardian
08-14-2010, 08:31 AM

Charles actually runs between the tackles hard and does a great job at it. You're stupid. But we already knew that.

MadMax
08-14-2010, 08:36 AM
Charles actually runs between the tackles hard and does a great job at it. You're stupid. But we already knew that.

WOW! I actually agree with you :)

Rausch
08-14-2010, 08:43 AM

"Did you ****ing read this before you submitted it?..."

http://www.accesshollywood.com/content/images/98/400x400bd/98411_jeremy-piven-as-ari-gold-on-hbos-entourage.jpg

I'm sure they did.

They let the league's 3rd best rusher go to a team who drafted in the top 10 and didn't think twice.

AND HE'S OUR BACKUP.

What a $#itty stable of horses...