PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Teicher: Chiefs’ starters struggle on offense in 20-10 loss to Falcons

Tribal Warfare
08-13-2010, 10:55 PM
Chiefs’ starters struggle on offense in 20-10 loss to Falcons (http://www.kansascity.com/2010/08/13/2149091/chiefs-starters-struggle-on-offense.html)
By ADAM TEICHER
The Kansas City Star

ATLANTA | That fresh start the Chiefs wanted will have to wait until next week or perhaps another time during their exhibition schedule.

But it may not come at all, judging by the work of their starters in Friday night’s 20-10 loss in the preseason opener against the Atlanta Falcons at the Georgia Dome. The Chiefs trailed 3-0 by the time their starters departed in the second quarter.

“We clearly have a bunch to work on in a lot of different areas,” Chiefs coach Todd Haley said.

Playing their reserves, the Chiefs came back and tied the game 3-3 at halftime.

The Falcons took control early in the second half. Backup quarterback Brodie Croyle was intercepted by Shann Schillinger on the first possession of the third quarter.

Schillinger’s 29-yard return put the Falcons at the Kansas City 14. Five plays later Dimitri Nance scored on a 2-yard run and put the Falcons ahead for good.

Nance also scored on a 1-yard run early in the fourth quarter, giving Atlanta a 17-3 lead.

For much of the first half, the Chiefs looked suspiciously the way they did in last year’s forgettable 4-12 season. The run defense was easy for the Falcons to solve on the game’s opening possession.

Atlanta rushed for 44 yards in driving for Matt Bryant’s 30-yard field goal and a 3-0 lead. Linebacker Mike Vrabel ended the drive by tackling running back Jason Snelling for no gain on a third-down play.

The starting defense tightened from there, allowing no more points on two additional Atlanta possessions. But the starting offense generated little in four possessions.

The Chiefs ran three plays and punted the first time they had the ball and turned the ball over on the next possession when quarterback Matt Cassel was sacked and fumbled.

Jamaal Charles and Dexter McCluster then provided a spark, combining for 62 rushing yards as the Chiefs twice worked their way into field-goal range.

But each time, Ryan Succop missed a 53-yard field-goal attempt. The first, coming after Cassel was sacked on third down, hit the left upright, and the second try went wide to the right.

“This time of year, it’s always a work in progress,” Cassel said. “In the first preseason game, you’re trying a lot of new stuff and seeing personnel changes. Obviously, you don’t want to start the game with a three-and-out, but we got into a no-huddle situation, and that was definitely a positive for us.”

The Chiefs also lost a touchdown in the fourth quarter when Javier Arenas’ 99-yard kickoff return was wiped out by a holding penalty on Justin Cole.

“We can’t take a sack on the fringe that then puts the field goal into an area that’s not a high percentage kicking spot for anybody,” Haley said. “We can’t have a penalty on a kickoff return of whatever it was, wherever he caught that ball.

“There were a bunch of things that we could control to be better that would have helped us. A couple of those early runs, it didn’t look like we were blocking anybody. Then it looked like we came back and blocked some people.

“I do think there were some positives. The offense put the defense in some real tight spots. I thought the defense showed some good signs that you see out of a group that’s trying to become a better defense.”

Atlanta also missed two field-goal tries of 50 yards or more in the first half.

The Chiefs managed their only points of the first half on Succop’s 20-yard field goal on the final play. On backup quarterback Croyle’s first possession, the Chiefs drove 78 yards in fewer than 4 minutes on a series of short gains.

The longest play of the drive came on Croyle’s 19-yard pass to Kestahn Moore to the Atlanta 2. At that point, the Chiefs had time only for the final goal.

After Croyle was replaced by Tyler Palko in the fourth quarter, things disintegrated even further for the Chiefs. Palko had a pass intercepted by Chevis Jackson.

Jackson’s return to the Kansas City 9 set up Steve Hauschka’s 37-yard field goal for a 20-3 Atlanta lead.

The Chiefs scored their only touchdown with 18 seconds left on Palko’s 1-yard run.

Chiefs Pantalones
08-13-2010, 11:06 PM
How is this guy employed seriously?

Extra Point
08-14-2010, 07:30 AM
How is a 53 yard field goal in "range?"

Rausch
08-14-2010, 07:39 AM
I'm curious what happened on the Croyle interception. It looked nowhere near the WR.

Did the WR run the wrong route? Did Croyle get the play fucked up and thought the WR would be somewhere else?

Croyle was laser accurate and then all of a sudden *BAM* Neil O'donnell time...

bobbything
08-14-2010, 07:44 AM
I hate articles that do nothing but recap the scoring drives. What a waste of fucking time that was. Teicher is awful. Has been for some time. Even in his interviews on the radio, he's so f*cking arrogant and know-it-all that I want to punch my radio dial.

CoMoChief
08-14-2010, 08:51 AM
I'm curious what happened on the Croyle interception. It looked nowhere near the WR.

Did the WR run the wrong route? Did Croyle get the play ****ed up and thought the WR would be somewhere else?

Croyle was laser accurate and then all of a sudden *BAM* Neil O'donnell time...

I shit myself laughing when I read this part. ROFL