PDA

View Full Version : Life Your Facebook posts, and your boss.

Direckshun
08-14-2010, 09:22 PM
I just got off the phone with a coworker who was told earlier today that she was about this close to getting fired for trash talking on her employer -- not her boss, but the company -- on Facebook.

Some of the things she said were generally critical, revealed nothing that was private (she was bitching about public information about the financial mess of the company she works at).

She was harrassed about it by her boss at work the next week after the postings (she had posted about the issues several times), and was told today in a frank conversation that they considered firing her over it, but chose not to.

She asked me if she'd have a legal case to sue her employer after being fired for antagonistic, but not privacy-violating, Facebook posting about her job. I'm not a lawyer, I have no idea.

Thoughts?

BillSelfsTrophycase
08-14-2010, 09:23 PM
Facebook + careers = a clusterfuck waiting to happen

BIG_DADDY
08-14-2010, 09:25 PM
No, but it's about time to go find another job. Hopefully your friend doesn't pull another brilliant move and look it on the company computer.

chasedude
08-14-2010, 09:25 PM
Nothing is private anymore:cuss:

irishjayhawk
08-14-2010, 09:27 PM
Facebook + careers = a cluster**** waiting to happen

I'm wondering if that's going to change here on out.

Imagine in 30 years when politicians will be vetted for something posted to their fb status years previously.

luv
08-14-2010, 09:27 PM
What you say on Facebook can legally be used against you. However, if she violated any company policy is a different story. If she hasn't said anything that isn't public knowledge, then, IMO she should be fine. If she signed any privacy statements preventing her from saying anything, public knowledge or not, she could be in the wrong.

The_Doctor10
08-14-2010, 09:28 PM
Keep Facebook and business separate. If you must rant about your job on the internet, start an anonymous blog that 10 people read. Otherwise, shut up. If you walked in and vocally declared how much your company is fucking shit up, they'd fire you. Facebook isn't much different; you're putting your name to it.

BIG_DADDY
08-14-2010, 09:29 PM

Facebook is a great place to share pictures and the special moments in your life. If people are smart they will keep it that way and not turn it into a political place or a place to talk about their relationships whether that be with their significant other or their employer. It should be common sense but some people are just all about the drama and can't help themself.

Miles
08-14-2010, 09:31 PM
Publicly talking about your employer in a negative light, particularly on something like facebook, is extremely unprofessional. Even if it is just public information they are commenting on.

Douche Baggins
08-14-2010, 09:34 PM
If you access Facebook at work and post shit about people at work, you're a moron.

If you post shit about people at work and your profile is not private, you're a moron.

I don't even bother checking my email or any site for recreational purposes on work computers. I send stuff for work to my email and download it at work (RTF files), but that's it. Even then I'm horrified someone watching the network will see the titles of other emails in my inbox and I'll get in trouble.

However, laptops with personal aircards are another matter altogether. Just gotta make sure you hear the footsteps coming. :evil:

Bane
08-14-2010, 09:34 PM
Keep Facebook and business separate. If you must rant about your job on the internet, start an anonymous blog that 10 people read. Otherwise, shut up. If you walked in and vocally declared how much your company is ****ing shit up, they'd fire you. Facebook isn't much different; you're putting your name to it.

:clap:

Miles
08-14-2010, 09:35 PM
What you say on Facebook can legally be used against you. However, if she violated any company policy is a different story. If she hasn't said anything that isn't public knowledge, then, IMO she should be fine. If she signed any privacy statements preventing her from saying anything, public knowledge or not, she could be in the wrong.

Employment is basically at-will in almost all circumstances in the US unless you have an employment contract.

morphius
08-14-2010, 09:36 PM
there are lots of stories of people being fired for things they have said online, it's wise to not be friends with co-workers online.

BWillie
08-14-2010, 10:02 PM
Yeah, I try to not post anything at all about my job on facebook. I could say alot about the stupid people I encounter every day, and then some people that run my company. But I'll keep that too myself because whatever I post on there can be used against me. Hell, I don't think anybody on chiefsplanet really knows who I am in real life, but somehow some member on her at one time used something against me I posted on here. Still to this day don't know who that was.

Dallas Chief
08-14-2010, 10:10 PM
This is why in my life, personal or professional, there is no Facebook. Facebook is the debil! Do not want. Do not need.

BWillie
08-14-2010, 10:18 PM
This is why in my life, personal or professional, there is no Facebook. Facebook is the debil! Do not want. Do not need.

You are most certainly over 40

alanm
08-14-2010, 10:31 PM
You are most certainly over 40And certainly smart enough not to post shit about work on facebook.

BWillie
08-14-2010, 10:32 PM
And certainly smart enough not to post shit about work on facebook.

I was referring to that poster not having facebook period. Alot of people that have facebook are smart enough not to post about their job on it, or at least in a negative manner

Bugeater
08-14-2010, 10:37 PM
If you access Facebook at work and post shit about people at work, you're a moron.

If you post shit about people at work and your profile is not private, you're a moron.
This is really all there is to it. Or even more simply put, if you lose your job over something you posted on facebook, you're a moron.

Buehler445
08-14-2010, 10:43 PM
She's fucked. She's probably a moron, but she's fucked.

Mr. Kotter
08-14-2010, 10:43 PM
I just got off the phone with a coworker who was told earlier today that she was about this close to getting fired for trash talking on her employer -- not her boss, but the company -- on Facebook.

Some of the things she said were generally critical, revealed nothing that was private (she was bitching about public information about the financial mess of the company she works at).

She was harrassed about it by her boss at work the next week after the postings (she had posted about the issues several times), and was told today in a frank conversation that they considered firing her over it, but chose not to.

She asked me if she'd have a legal case to sue her employer after being fired for antagonistic, but not privacy-violating, Facebook posting about her job. I'm not a lawyer, I have no idea.

Thoughts?

:spock:

I suspect it's been said before, because I chose not to read the garbage....

But, holy Mother of Jesus....are you really serious? Someone bad-mouths their employer, like that (anywhere), in any specific terms, you SHOULD be fired (in the real, "free" and "capitalistic" world.)

Talk about, idiot? Please, MFer....get over yourself already. Holy crap, you (and she) are not too bright--to say the least.

LMAO

Phobia
08-14-2010, 10:44 PM

I know hundreds of people over 40 on facebook. You must be naive.

teedubya
08-14-2010, 10:47 PM
She'd better get some good kneepads, because if she wants to keep her job... the employers are gonna need convincing.

DaneMcCloud
08-14-2010, 10:53 PM
Facebook is awesome, for a variety of reasons.

This woman on the other hand, doesn't sound awesome.

Demonpenz
08-14-2010, 10:59 PM
you should embed the song "take this job and shove it" that will help the situation

luv
08-14-2010, 11:01 PM
This is really all there is to it. Or even more simply put, if you lose your job over something you posted on facebook, you're a moron.

Did you know that it's illegal to log into our spouse's Facebook and read information?

T-post Tom
08-14-2010, 11:01 PM
I think I know Direckshun's coworker:

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ypy8h95ntOo?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ypy8h95ntOo?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

luv
08-14-2010, 11:07 PM

I know several people in their twenties and thirties who refuse to get on Facebook.

Bugeater
08-14-2010, 11:09 PM
Did you know that it's illegal to log into our spouse's Facebook and read information?
Oh great, I suppose that means it's illegal to log in and change her profile picture as well.

T-post Tom
08-14-2010, 11:11 PM
I know several people in their twenties and thirties who refuse to get on Facebook.

Elitists! You're a nice girl: so hang out with better people. (Insert CP joke here.)

DaneMcCloud
08-14-2010, 11:16 PM

I'm not surprised.

People are scared of a lot of things in Missouri.

:D

luv
08-14-2010, 11:16 PM
Elitists! You're a nice girl: so hang out with better people. (Insert CP joke here.)

Well, some of them are on here, so would that mean I need to stop coming here?

BIG_DADDY
08-14-2010, 11:20 PM
Facebook is awesome, for a variety of reasons.

This woman on the other hand, doesn't sound awesome.

Her facebook page should come with a warning

DaneMcCloud
08-14-2010, 11:21 PM
Her facebook page should come with a warning

GREAT pic of the boy!

T-post Tom
08-14-2010, 11:22 PM
Well, some of them are on here, so would that mean I need to stop coming here?

No way. Anyway posting here is a fine, upstanding citizen. If anyone here refuses to post on Facebook, it's probably because they're too busy doing charitable work or contributing to society in some other productive way. All CP posters are saintly, beyond reproach and humans of the highest order.

BIG_DADDY
08-14-2010, 11:22 PM

Well you gotta have a computer first.

BIG_DADDY
08-14-2010, 11:23 PM
GREAT pic of the boy!

He sure loves his fishing.

luv
08-14-2010, 11:25 PM
No way. Anyway posting here is a fine, upstanding citizen. If anyone here refuses to post on Facebook, it's probably because they're too busy doing charitable work or contributing to society in some other productive way. All CP posters are saintly, beyond reproach and humans of the highest order.

Well, then I need to stop posting here anyway. I'm only ruining everyone's reputation.

T-post Tom
08-15-2010, 12:16 AM
Well, then I need to stop posting here anyway. I'm only ruining everyone's reputation.

R U kidding me? C'mon, you are the jam in the CP jellyroll. Top-drawer, top-notch, top flight, the cat's meow, the bee's knees, blue ribbon, best-in-class, world class, unparalleled, peerless, superlative and a really swell dame. Let me give you a musical cue from four little mopheads you may have heard of...THE BEATLES!

(This time with Spanish subtitles for our south of the border posters.)
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/h8f3tZPR3KE?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/h8f3tZPR3KE?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

GoHuge
08-15-2010, 12:38 AM
No way. Anyway posting here is a fine, upstanding citizen. If anyone here refuses to post on Facebook, it's probably because they're too busy doing charitable work or contributing to society in some other productive way. All CP posters are saintly, beyond reproach and humans of the highest order.Yeah Valiant threatened to call up "my job" and let everyone there know all the dumb stuff I say on here, and then let all my clients know about it as well!! If he can swing that off of an anonymous message board I need to be extra careful about what I put on Facebook!! :rolleyes:

That's the beauty of being self employed. No co-workers, boss, or any other office drama bullshit. Don't have any clients as friends on Facebook and my FB is private. I don't know why some people don't understand the whole "don't bite the hand that feeds you" concept. Especially in this job market. If I didn't own my own company I think it would be best to STFU sometimes, do my work, and be glad you have a job. Most of these people that constantly bitch about how bad everything is in their life and put it on everyone else should step back and realize they seem to be the only common denominator.

Sure-Oz
08-15-2010, 06:53 AM
My work blocks facebook, myspace and twitter, its better that way.

kstater
08-15-2010, 07:02 AM
You should ask your friend if, hypothetically, she was standing on a street corner yelling derogatory comments about her place of employment and her boss happened to hear her, should she be reprimanded.

Oucho Cinco
08-15-2010, 07:11 AM
Facebook is a great place to share pictures and the special moments in your life. If people are smart they will keep it that way and not turn it into a political place or a place to talk about their relationships whether that be with their significant other or their employer. It should be common sense but some people are just all about the drama and can't help themself.

Apparently she doesn't use the privacy settings on facebook. I'm relatively sure you can set it up so only your friends can see what you post. If your friends are rats then you might be screwed.

Oucho Cinco
08-15-2010, 07:17 AM

I don't even bother checking my email or any site for recreational purposes on work computers. I send stuff for work to my email and download it at work (RTF files), but that's it. Even then I'm horrified someone watching the network will see the titles of other emails in my inbox and I'll get in trouble.

However, laptops with personal aircards are another matter altogether. Just gotta make sure you hear the footsteps coming. :evil:

Try sending your emails you don't want filtered with subject titles like:
Training Plans
Procurement Specifications
Project Planning Guide
Re: September Work Schedule

I get some pretty weird emails at work from people with titles such as those. All you have to do is hope that nothing in the text of your email hits the filters of your company. The bigger the company the more they spend on internet access data and emails. Our company says they do not want any personal emails sent. They do allow us to access the non-volatile, as they call them, email accounts. Gmail is the one I use from the office for forwarding the junk I get.

Dallas Chief
08-15-2010, 11:44 PM

Yeah I am under 40... but barely.:cuss: But anyway I've been there and done the facebook/myspace thing- starting way back in 2005. It really didn't do anything for me-except give me headaches. "Who is this person?" "How do you know her?" "How drunk were you when that picture was taken?" I don't need to be reminded nor do I need revel in the folly of my youth. Forward. Always looking forward...

Aries Walker
08-15-2010, 11:56 PM
Well, happy advance 40th birthday, Dallas Chief. It sounds like it's a-comin' soon.

I have Facebook, and a job, and never the twain shall meet. I leave my settings on Friends Only, and there is no chance that I am friending my boss or any of the local snitches, or anyone who is close to the local snitches, or basically anyone.

Plus, if I want to bad-mouth (err, criticize) my company, I certainly won't do it in print. Even if it's not illegal, any company will use that get rid of you for 'breaking company policy' if they just don't like you, and after hearing what I'd have to say, they wouldn't like me any more.

Thirdly, the administrators have morale just as low as mine, so in my case it won't matter. Speaking in generalities, though, you've got to be mindful of the potential pitfalls from Facebook and make sure they don't give your career the smackdown.

I'm on Ambien right now. Can you tell?

SLAG
08-16-2010, 01:10 AM
Well, happy advance 40th birthday, Dallas Chief. It sounds like it's a-comin' soon.

I have Facebook, and a job, and never the twain shall meet. I leave my settings on Friends Only, and there is no chance that I am friending my boss or any of the local snitches, or anyone who is close to the local snitches, or basically anyone.

Plus, if I want to bad-mouth (err, criticize) my company, I certainly won't do it in print. Even if it's not illegal, any company will use that get rid of you for 'breaking company policy' if they just don't like you, and after hearing what I'd have to say, they wouldn't like me any more.

Thirdly, the administrators have morale just as low as mine, so in my case it won't matter. Speaking in generalities, though, you've got to be mindful of the potential pitfalls from Facebook and make sure they don't give your career the smackdown.

no but i'm a little stoned and your post made sense

Omaha
08-16-2010, 07:29 AM

Nah. I think a certain degree of stupidity is required to reach that sum.

Omaha
08-16-2010, 07:32 AM
Keep Facebook and business separate. If you must rant about your job on the internet, start an anonymous blog that 10 people read. Otherwise, shut up. If you walked in and vocally declared how much your company is ****ing shit up, they'd fire you. Facebook isn't much different; you're putting your name to it.

This. If you want to "friend" people at your work, use the security features to control what they can/can't see. It's pretty simple.

Iowanian
08-16-2010, 07:35 AM
People are fired every day for stupid things, including things they publicly say about co-workers, their boss, or their employer.

They could have fired her and there isn't shit she could do about it as it should be.

I was the bad guy earlier this year, because I intervened and told a couple of young elementary school teachers it was stupid of them to have photos of themselves at a Dildo sales party on Fb....potential employers and parents see that shit....a friend ofa friend and a couple of clicks is all it takes to ruin their day. I assume they'll understand someday.

loochy
08-16-2010, 08:01 AM
Keep Facebook and business separate. If you must rant about your job on the internet, start an anonymous blog that 10 people read. Otherwise, shut up. If you walked in and vocally declared how much your company is fucking shit up, they'd fire you. Facebook isn't much different; you're putting your name to it.

That's kind of part of my job...
...we find out what is wrong, we try to find people to help fix the problem, then we formulate a plan.

PhillyChiefFan
08-16-2010, 08:28 AM
Keep Facebook and business separate.

:clap:

Exactly

ChiTown
08-16-2010, 08:34 AM
What's Facebook?

loochy
08-16-2010, 08:36 AM
What's Facebook?

It's this thing for self important people to post updates about their daily routines.

For example, a Facebook user might post this on their status:

"I just got off my super long 4 hour shift slinging tacos at On The Border. I'm off to the pool for some drinks, then some Jersey Shore. We'll be at (insert trashy bar name here) tonight, so if you want to go, give me a call!"

Also, Facebook is a tool used by females and effeminate males to stalk exes and create drama.

Originally Facebook was for college students only, but after a few years anyone with an email address was allowed. Facebook officially jumped the shark when old people discovered Facebook and started posting endless pictures and comments of their grandchildren.

KCUnited
08-16-2010, 08:46 AM
It's this thing for self important people to post updates about their daily routines.

For example, a Facebook user might post this on their status:

"I just got off my super long 4 hour shift slinging tacos at On The Border. I'm off to the pool for some drinks, then some Jersey Shore. We'll be at (insert trashy bar name here) tonight, so if you want to go, give me a call!"

Also, Facebook is a tool used by females and effeminate males to stalk exes and create drama.

Originally Facebook was for college students only, but after a few years anyone with an email address was allowed. Facebook officially jumped the shark when old people discovered Facebook and started posting endless pictures and comments of their grandchildren.
Don't forget the assembly line of motivational quotes followed by a slew of "You go girl" responses, supplemented with the "God wouldn't give me more than I can handle, would He?" threads.

Dallas Chief
08-16-2010, 09:09 AM

Well best of luck to you then! I just made the conscious choice last year to limit the extent of my social networking to text messages and/or emails., Oh and CP! LMAO And if you are someone that I am really close to, you might even get a phone call every now and then. At this point in my life, knowing what some dude I went to grade school with had for lunch is not on my list of priorities. To each their own I guess...

Omaha
08-16-2010, 09:22 AM
Ha! You guys will love this. A couple months ago the president of our company walked into my office & told me to friend him on fb so he could send me some stuff. He had everyone become a fan of our company's fb page and pimp it out to all of our friends. He told me I could "unfriend" him if I wanted, but that seemed like a pretty dickhead thing to do. The security settings allow me to easily control what work people are able to see on there. Just be smart about what you're doing. No problems at all....

loochy
08-16-2010, 09:24 AM
Ha! You guys will love this. A couple months ago the president of our company walked into my office & told me to friend him on fb so he could send me some stuff. He had everyone become a fan of our company's fb page and pimp it out to all of our friends. He told me I could "unfriend" him if I wanted, but that seemed like a pretty dickhead thing to do. The security settings allow me to easily control what work people are able to see on there. Just be smart about what you're doing. No problems at all....

Well this is not a problem for folks such as you and myself, but younger females, such as the one in the original post, have major issues with this.

MOhillbilly
08-16-2010, 09:25 AM
Along time ago a wise old gangster explained to me that "friends is friends & business is business". Told me this right after he canned me.

One of the best lessons i ever learned.

DaneMcCloud
08-16-2010, 10:20 AM
I was the bad guy earlier this year, because I intervened and told a couple of young elementary school teachers it was stupid of them to have photos of themselves at a Dildo sales party on Fb....

Pics or it didn't happen

Hoover
08-16-2010, 10:25 AM
I'm all over my employee's FB pages.

I love it when people call in sick on Mondays, I then email their FB status and pictures from the weekend if available.

Look, if you want to fu@k off and party that's cool, but be ready to go to work. I also would not put up with people slaming my company if they are employed by me, if you don't like the job I provide, fine, I'll give it to someone else.

Param
08-16-2010, 11:09 AM
I just always say I don't use facebook. And if I access twitter/fb at work, I just use my phone. Set my profile to private and there's no problems. You can't see my friends list, updates, etc. Stalk all you want.

Iowanian
08-16-2010, 12:04 PM
Pics or it didn't happen

It did. They did remove the pics after a short drama session, but one of them barely speaks to me now because "She already has an F N DAD!"

I wasn't trying to invade space, but thought she'd regret pics of her with a rubber club big enough to churn butter might be seen as negative to parents of her pre-school students.....but I'm an old fun hater who doesn't know about things like that.

Hoover
08-16-2010, 12:07 PM
Just wait until pictures posted to Facebook now start showing up years later. Its not just adults that need to be warned but kids too.

MOhillbilly
08-16-2010, 12:15 PM
Just wait until pictures posted to Facebook now start showing up years later. Its not just adults that need to be warned but kids too.

society will be so fractured noone will give a shit.

Iowanian
08-16-2010, 12:40 PM

No kidding. Exactly what I was talking about above.

It's been amazing to me the pictures that pop up from so far away in paperback....from 20 years ago. Hell, once in a while, some dumbass scans a hardcopy photo that should never see the light of day and puts THAT up.

It's one thing when they do themselves, but when they purposely ding others.....

It's only a matter of time before kids start finding Grandma's college trip to Apple River pics online.