PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Babb: Succop’s long-range misses in exhibition not a concern for Chiefs

Tribal Warfare
08-15-2010, 12:33 AM
Succop’s long-range misses in exhibition not a concern for Chiefs (http://www.kansascity.com/2010/08/14/2150452/succops-long-range-misses-in-exhibition.html)
By KENT BABB
The Kansas City Star

Todd Haley said he wasn’t worried. Ryan Succop’s two misses Friday were each from 53 yards, and it would be unreasonable, the Chiefs coach said, to expect his young kicker to be reliable from that distance.

Still, Haley wanted to see if Succop could do it.

Succop was one for three on field-goal attempts in Friday’s 20-10 loss in the preseason opener at Atlanta.

That’s the kind of performance that might attract some anxiety in different seasons, especially considering where the Chiefs have been while they searched for a consistent kicker. If nothing else, the fact that the two misses were disappointing shows how far the team’s kicking situation has come since it selected Succop with the last overall pick in the 2009 NFL draft.

“When you get into that position,” Haley said, “it’s just not going to be a high-percentage kick. The first one looked real good to me. The second one, it didn’t look like he hit it quite the same way, by any means. Those are tough positions to put your kicker in.”

Succop said early in training camp that he trusts his leg from distances that might give other kickers the shakes. He said he made one from 65 yards during offseason workouts and said he’ll try any kick if his coaches send him out for a try.

So it was disappointing Friday when Succop hit the left upright the first time and later hit a wobbly line drive that missed badly. Succop made a 53-yarder last year, his longest in a rookie season that gave the Chiefs more confidence in a kicker than they’d had in years.

The team seemed doomed to erratic kickers, whether they were drafted (Justin Medlock), veterans (John Carney and Lawrence Tynes) or rookie free agents (Connor Barth). Then the Chiefs grabbed Succop with the pick known as “Mr. Irrelevant,” but those inside the organization knew that a dependable kicker was as relevant to anything to the team’s improvement.

Succop made 25 of his 29 attempts last year, the best rookie season by a Chiefs kicker since Hall of Famer Jan Stenerud in 1967.

Haley said he wasn’t so much let down in Succop as he was the Chiefs offense for putting him in that position. On the play before Succop’s first miss Friday, quarterback Matt Cassel was sacked for a 6-yard loss, making a difficult kick even tougher. Running back Jackie Battle was stopped for a 4-yard loss on third-and-2 on the Chiefs’ next possession.

“I’m more disappointed that we put him in those (situations),” Haley said of Succop.

Succop had departed the locker room Friday by the time reporters entered and was unavailable for comment.

Haley has said that he admires Succop’s attitude perhaps as much as his strong right leg. Haley said Succop doesn’t get rattled, regardless of the situation — whether it’s a 20-yard chip shot like the one he made Friday at the end of the second quarter, or the 22-yarder in overtime he made at Arrowhead Stadium in last year’s win against Pittsburgh. So Haley said he didn’t expect that Succop would be bothered by missing those two long-range kicks against the Falcons.

And, Haley said, the Chiefs wouldn’t be bothered, either. Not unless it becomes a trend, anyway. That’s something Haley said he wouldn’t expect, based on what he saw Friday night.

“That guy’s working hard to do a good job,” Haley said. “When you get out in that range, if you expect those all the time, you’re going to be disappointed.”

L.A. Chieffan
08-15-2010, 12:39 AM
I knew we shouldve drafted a kicker around the 3rd or 4th.

KCrockaholic
08-15-2010, 12:50 AM
It's not an issue, and should have never even been a freakin article.

Succop barely missed 2 FGs from over 50 yards. He shouldn't have been put in that position to begin with.

milkman
08-15-2010, 12:53 AM
It's not an issue, and should have never even been a freakin article.

Succop barely missed 2 FGs from over 50 yards. He shouldn't have been put in that position to begin with.

I'm not sure what you mean by "shouldn't have been put in that position to begin with".

If that's in reference to an inept offensive performance, then I agree.

If you mean he shouldn't have been sent out there by Haley to begin with, then I disagree.

KCrockaholic
08-15-2010, 12:58 AM
I'm not sure what you mean by "shouldn't have been put in that position to begin with".

If that's in reference to an inept offensive performance, then I agree.

If you mean he shouldn't have been sent out there by Haley to begin with, then I disagree.

I think it's obvious that I'm talking about our inept offense.

milkman
08-15-2010, 01:01 AM

I think it wasn't obvious, otherwise I wouldn't have asked.

mcaj22
08-15-2010, 01:04 AM
I think it's obvious, oh hey great we have a kicker with a leg so let's just stop here and hope he nails it, no need to go any farther with our dink and dunk 4 yard passes.

KCrockaholic
08-15-2010, 01:06 AM
I think it wasn't obvious, otherwise I wouldn't have asked.

Why would anyone think Haley shouldn't have sent Succop out to kick for points on 4th and long?

milkman
08-15-2010, 01:09 AM
Why would anyone think Haley shouldn't have sent Succop out to kick for points on 4th and long?

For the same reason that everyone posts something stupid around here.

Stupid bias.

I don't know where you stand as it relates to Haley, but if you already have a bias against him, you, like everyone else with a stupid bias, could be looking for things to critsize him for.

For all I knew, you thought he should have sent Colquitt out to punt rather than attempt the long FGs.

KCrockaholic
08-15-2010, 01:14 AM
For the same reason that everyone posts something stupid around here.

Stupid bias.

I don't know where you stand as it relates to Haley, but if you already have a bias against him, you, like everyone else with a stupid bias, could be looking for things to critsize him for.

For all I knew, you thought he should have sent Colquitt out to punt rather than attempt the long FGs.

Oh, gotcha. Nope, it was a fine call by Haley. Offense just should have never put Succop in that situation.

Psyko Tek
08-15-2010, 05:36 AM

And, Haley said, the Chiefs wouldn’t be bothered, either. Not unless it becomes a trend, anyway.

sparkky
08-15-2010, 08:14 AM
I agree it's a non-issue on the long range misses.
I consider us lucky to finally have a kicker that has a decent chance to make kicks like that, seems like it's been awhile.

Mr. Laz
08-15-2010, 10:31 AM
while i'm not mad that succop missed the fields goals, i do expect him to start working on longer range fields goals so that he can do better in the regular season.

unfair or not ....

petegz28
08-15-2010, 11:41 AM
53 yards is a long way to kick. And lets face it, it isn't like a kicker is pumped for a pre-season game like he would be for a regular game. It's just human nature there. The entire mindset for a kicker I am sure is much different in a regular game. Still, the kid had plenty of leg on both kicks. And his kickoffs were good as well. He is the least of our worries.

LaChapelle
08-15-2010, 11:59 AM
Cut some useless scrub and bring in a kicker
it's the way of training camp

Mosbonian
08-15-2010, 12:04 PM
How many kickers we have on the board here....anyone explain just how difficult it is to kick any field goal much less one from 50 yards out.

This is a non-issue.

mmaddog

'Hamas' Jenkins
08-15-2010, 12:06 PM
53 yards in a dome is not necessarily unreasonable.

It was a bad performance, but it's not damning. That said, I think many people have seriously overrated Succop's ability.

alnorth
08-15-2010, 12:32 PM
That said, I think many people have seriously overrated Succop's ability.

Perhaps. Having one crap kicker after another for a long time can get you excited when you finally have someone who might be a little above average. We should give it another year or two before crowning him as a really, really good kicker.