PDA

View Full Version : Football Who is your Favorite Head Coach??

HotRoute
08-14-2010, 11:33 PM
I was just curious as to what Chiefs fans admire in a head coach. I was thinking about this the other day and wanted to make a thread about it to see what the devoted fans on this site had to say about this.

whoever you like just say who and why.

AFC
patriots: bill belichick
jets: rex ryan
bills: chan gailey
dolphins: tony sparano

steelers: mike tomlin
browns: eric mangini
bengals: marvin lewis
ravens: john harbaugh

colts: jim caldwell
texans: gary kubiak
jaguars: jack del rio
titans - jeff fisher

chiefs: todd haley
raiders: tom cable
chargers: norv turner
broncos: josh mcdaniels

NFC
giants: tom coughlin
eagles: andy reid
cowboys: wade phillips
redskins: mike shannahan

bears: lovie smith
lions: jim schwartz
packers: mike mccarthy
vikings: brad childress

falcons: mike smith
panthers: john fox
saints: sean payton
buccaneers: raheem morris

cardinals: ken wisenhunt
rams: steve spagnuolo
49ers: mike singeltary
seahawks: pete carrol

Mr. Arrowhead
08-14-2010, 11:37 PM
Shannahan, the deal is done, o wait nevermind

Reaper16
08-14-2010, 11:39 PM
Mike Tomlin, because I love his work on Fox's House. He works so well with Hugh Laurie.

HotRoute
08-14-2010, 11:40 PM
I just want to add that this isnt a thread about firing our coach or who ppl think we shouldve or couldve hired its mainly about who ppl admire as a head coach and what qualities they appriciate in a head coach. that is all

Chocolate Hog
08-14-2010, 11:44 PM
Bo Pelini

milkman
08-14-2010, 11:45 PM
I'm torn between John Harbaugh and Mike McCarthy.

Harbaugh just keeps that team focussed and on track even as that team transitions from a defensive powerhouse to more of an offensive team.

McCarthy has handled the controversy that the Favre situation brought and and helped to ease into the transition into the Aaron Rogers era.

Both have somehow managed to do a great job through some difficult transitions.

KCrockaholic
08-14-2010, 11:45 PM
I love Bill Belichick.

TEX
08-14-2010, 11:49 PM
1. jeff fisher
2. sean peyton
3. john harbaugh

HotRoute
08-14-2010, 11:50 PM
for some reason ive always been a jeff fisher fan, he knows how to treat his players with respect as well as get the most out of them.

next on my list would have to be rex ryan, man if you watch hard knocks thats one SOB that would be one of the guys as well as motivate the shit out of players

last but not least i sure like sean payton, and the way he has a way to gameplan for any team and find different ways to win every week.

SNR
08-14-2010, 11:52 PM
If you don't say Josh McDaniels, the mighty Tebow will come to your house and smite you!

milkman
08-14-2010, 11:55 PM
If you don't say Josh McDaniels, the mighty Tebow will come to your house and smite you!

What do you mean come to (my) house and smite me?

He can smite us from anywhere.

HotRoute
08-14-2010, 11:56 PM
and tebow highjacks another thread, lol

SNR
08-15-2010, 12:05 AM
and tebow highjacks another thread, lolThe Chiefs suck, so I'm going to make fun of the douchebag QB for the Broncos. It's my coping mechanism.

Sorry, I should have asked your permission before I posted my joke.

CaliforniaChief
08-15-2010, 12:07 AM
Tomlin.

The way he stepped in and established his credibility with an organization with as much tradition as the Steelers impressed me.

That and winning a championship doesn't hurt, either.

I like his energy and passion for the game, but he doesn't strike me as a guy who is unhealthy in his pursuit for football success. Just level-headed. I like that about Caldwell, too.

HotRoute
08-15-2010, 12:11 AM
The Chiefs suck, so I'm going to make fun of the douchebag QB for the Broncos. It's my coping mechanism.

Sorry, I should have asked your permission before I posted my joke.

either way . . . . who would you say is your favorite HC? i have a feeling its not mcdaniels

royr17
08-15-2010, 12:13 AM
Todd "Fuggin" Haley. YEA BOY !!!!!!

Phobia
08-15-2010, 12:17 AM
Al Davis is mine.

Slainte
08-15-2010, 12:20 AM
Jack Del Rio, despite the lack of post-season success...

HotRoute
08-15-2010, 12:23 AM
Al Davis is mine.

you mean tom cable . . . . oh wait i see what you did there, lol

T-post Tom
08-15-2010, 12:25 AM
Write-in nominee:

http://www.aquariumdrunkard.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/03/the-white-shadow.jpg

KC Tattoo
08-15-2010, 12:32 AM
Tomlin.

The way he stepped in and established his credibility with an organization with as much tradition as the Steelers impressed me.

That and winning a championship doesn't hurt, either.

I like his energy and passion for the game, but he doesn't strike me as a guy who is unhealthy in his pursuit for football success. Just level-headed. I like that about Caldwell, too.

I like Tomlin for same reasons. My vote however is Tom Coughlin. He had a distraction from a top tier RB and moved on with out him. They had all odds against them to beat the Patriots in one of the biggest SB ever. His QB has been critisized more than most QBs and being the younger brother of Peyton FN Manning had more to prove. His team won with all the pressure of New York media and critisism of the league. He has been mocked and joked against but yet he shut them up when they won a SB. Now he is reliving all the same pressure and see how it works out for him.

Sean Peyton is another HC i really like.

mcaj22
08-15-2010, 12:40 AM
Andy Reid, his kids were in and out of jail, smuggling drugs in the cracks of their ass, and trying to commit suicide and he still found time to concentrate on Eagles football and take them to the playoffs all those years.

His family is a mess.

KC Tattoo
08-15-2010, 12:42 AM
Andy Reid, his kids were in and out of jail, smuggling drugs in the cracks of their ass, and trying to commit suicide and he still found time to concentrate on Eagles football and take them to the playoffs all those years.

His family is a mess.

He won't win any Father of the Year awards, but he is a good coach.

GoHuge
08-15-2010, 01:00 AM
He won't win any Father of the Year awards, but he is a good coach.Agreed, but dude maybe needs to find some middle-ground.

My vote is for Todd Haley. Level headed and never seems to over-react to things on game day. Calm and collected at all times on the sidelines. His players respect him and never has any personality conflicts with them in any way shape or form. :D

Haley in 20 years.........this guy.
http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k124/gohuge39/any-given-sunday.jpg

Slainte
08-15-2010, 01:18 AM
In the fictional sense, this guy gets my vote:

http://content6.flixster.com/photo/11/95/47/11954720_gal.jpg

ChiefsCountry
08-15-2010, 01:25 AM
I'm a big Jim Schwartz fan. The Lions made a hell of a hire, I wish the Chiefs would have gotten him instead of 3 Day Bender.

Dylan
08-15-2010, 01:56 AM
I like Tomlin for same reasons. My vote however is Tom Coughlin. He had a distraction from a top tier RB and moved on with out him. They had all odds against them to beat the Patriots in one of the biggest SB ever. His QB has been critisized more than most QBs and being the younger brother of Peyton FN Manning had more to prove. His team won with all the pressure of New York media and critisism of the league. He has been mocked and joked against but yet he shut them up when they won a SB. Now he is reliving all the same pressure and see how it works out for him.

Sean Peyton is another HC i really like.

Tom Coffin may be available at the end of the season.

KC Tattoo
08-15-2010, 02:17 AM

I'm not going to go out on a limb and say that's who we need to get. I like Tom Coughlin but think he would be like a Dick Vermiel hire. I'm holding out reserve for likeing Haley, I don't like or dislike him, just want to see major improvement this year, then judge later. So far, Haley doesn't have that big of an ego where he wouldn't hire an assistant HC that on resime could replace him in a heart beat.

Dylan
08-15-2010, 02:26 AM
I read an article by Mike Garafolo in the Star Ledger -- However, it is what follows the article that caught my eye.

Here is what a Giants fan had to say:

Our O line is old slow and damaged. We don't even have a backup Center.

Our best WR is hurt.

Our TE is hurt and we don't have a quality backup.

Our O Coordinator is confused and disoriented.

Our D line has one end who gets winded walking up a flight of stairs. The other end can only rush the QB, not stop a running back. The middle of our D line has 3 guys coming off injuries and a promising rookie. Oh yea, the great acrobat JPP [AKA= Junior College All Star]

Linebackers? What Linebackers?

CBs are hurting and limping. Kind of hard to keep up with speedy receivers when you can't run.

One Safety and he's a new guy.

A new and inconsistent Punter.

No return guy.

Tynes? Get ready to close your eyes and pray before every field goal attempt.

Our division has the Cowboys and the Eagles. Both teams filled with beasts who absolutley love beating us.

Washington has a ton of talent and one of the best HCs in the game.

It's going to be a very short season.

http://gbxforums.gearboxsoftware.com/images/smilies/crazy.gif

LMAO

KC Tattoo
08-15-2010, 02:36 AM

They have been on a down ward spiral sense there SB. Doesn't look good for as you call Tom Coffin. He may be in a no win situation. He is a coach that should have retired the year after his SB win, lol. I just like how they won that season, not that he is the greatest or any thing. Far from that but still like him as a coach. Doesn't mean I would want him for our coach eather.

I like Jack Del Rio think he is a good coach doesn't mean I want him for our coach. Jeff Fisher, I would like him to be our HC one day.

CoMoChief
08-15-2010, 03:32 AM
1. Mike Singletary
2. Sean Payton
3. Mike Tomlin
4. Andy Reid
5. Jeff Fisher

Alltime
1. Vince Lombardi
2. Bill Walsh
3. Buddy Ryan
4. Bill Parcells
5. Dick Vermeil

RedThat
08-15-2010, 03:45 AM
Belichick.

I still think he is one of the best at making adjustments as the game goes on.

Gravedigger
08-15-2010, 04:14 AM
I give Tomlin props, but you have to admit he had a bit of an amazing team when he took over and led them to a terribly boring super bowl win over a Seahawks team that forgot to compete. Pittsburgh has had the same DC for a long time and I believe their defense has been their staple because of his play calling more so than Tomlin's ability to take a team over from a guy like Cowher. Since that year they've tried to go to a pass first team which I don't agree with at all and by forcing the issue, like so many teams are doing, the better running teams will pass them by.

Other than that my vote goes to Rex Ryan. I think he's one of those rare instances where a coordinator is going to succeed. The Jets defense was terrible the year before he got there, and Vernon Gholston didn't help at all, and Rex brought in his guys, his system, his charisma, and made a pretty damn good team. Other than that, I think Bellichick is past his prime, as are the Patriots, and it shows with the few gifted players they have left trying to carry the rest of the team.

LaChapelle
08-15-2010, 04:26 AM
Mike Shanahan. When I masturbate while thinking of Josh McDaniels the cum comes out so hot I get third degree burns/KnowMo

KC Tattoo
08-15-2010, 07:56 AM
I'm a big Jim Schwartz fan. The Lions made a hell of a hire, I wish the Chiefs would have gotten him instead of 3 Day Bender.

May the Schwartz be with you !

ILChief
08-15-2010, 08:06 AM

Yeah, Schwartz is awesome. His first move was to hire Gunther Cunningham as defensive coordinator.

OnTheWarpath58
08-15-2010, 08:13 AM
No particular order:

Rex Ryan, Harbaugh, McCarthy, Payton, Tomlin.

Oucho Cinco
08-15-2010, 08:17 AM
One dimensional choices:

1. Hank Stram - Best at what he did for his day.
2. DV - Gave us the offense wet dreams are made of, but also gave us a defense nightmares are made of.

milkman
08-15-2010, 08:22 AM
I give Tomlin props, but you have to admit he had a bit of an amazing team when he took over and led them to a terribly boring super bowl win over a Seahawks team that forgot to compete. Pittsburgh has had the same DC for a long time and I believe their defense has been their staple because of his play calling more so than Tomlin's ability to take a team over from a guy like Cowher. Since that year they've tried to go to a pass first team which I don't agree with at all and by forcing the issue, like so many teams are doing, the better running teams will pass them by.

Other than that my vote goes to Rex Ryan. I think he's one of those rare instances where a coordinator is going to succeed. The Jets defense was terrible the year before he got there, and Vernon Gholston didn't help at all, and Rex brought in his guys, his system, his charisma, and made a pretty damn good team. Other than that, I think Bellichick is past his prime, as are the Patriots, and it shows with the few gifted players they have left trying to carry the rest of the team.

I believe Tomlinson made the transition to more of a passing team out of necessity rather than by choice because of the injuries to RBs.

He started to return more to a running team with Mendenhall last year.

But the fact is, this is now a passer's league.

Teams that can run the ball, but who can't pass the ball are never going to win in this league anymore.

On to other things, if Andy Reid isn't the most overrated coach in the NFL, then Jeff Fisher is.

Al Bundy
08-15-2010, 08:22 AM
Raheem Morris and Mike Tomlin.

milkman
08-15-2010, 08:23 AM
One dimensional choices:

1. Hank Stram - Best at what he did for his day.
2. DV - Gave us the offense wet dreams are made of, but also gave us a defense nightmares are made of.

Why is Stram a "one dimensional choice"?

JD10367
08-15-2010, 08:31 AM
I DID A DOODY IN MY PANTS!!!11!11!

http://thesportshernia.typepad.com/blog/images/herm_edwards.jpg

Bacon Cheeseburger
08-15-2010, 08:40 AM
Bo Pelini
This is the correct answer.

LaChapelle
08-15-2010, 09:22 AM
Don't watch enough other teams to know
but Wisenhunt could of had the Steelers HC job for life
but took the cheap ass lowly Cardinals to a super bowl

GoHuge
08-15-2010, 10:01 AM
I believe Tomlinson made the transition to more of a passing team out of necessity rather than by choice because of the injuries to RBs.

He started to return more to a running team with Mendenhall last year.

But the fact is, this is now a passer's league.

Teams that can run the ball, but who can't pass the ball are never going to win in this league anymore.

On to other things, if Andy Reid isn't the most overrated coach in the NFL, then Jeff Fisher is.Damn I knew LT was talented, but playing RB for the Chargers while coaching the Steelers is damn impressive!! Sorry I know what you meant, but had to do it! :)

milkman
08-15-2010, 10:30 AM
Damn I knew LT was talented, but playing RB for the Chargers while coaching the Steelers is damn impressive!! Sorry I know what you meant, but had to do it! :)

nlm

:doh!:

gblowfish
08-15-2010, 10:48 AM
Todd "Fuggin" Haley. YEA BOY !!!!!!
He's number one!

HotRoute
08-15-2010, 11:00 AM
He's number one!

That's freakin classic

chiefforlife
08-15-2010, 11:11 AM
Id say Sean Payton. He is creative and confident to the point of being cocky. He backs up his smack talk. And he pretty much spit on Jerry Jones and got away with it.

vailpass
08-15-2010, 11:47 AM
After watching Hard Knocks I am a fan of Rex Ryan. A football guy through and through.
Plus he doesn't feel like he has to cuss a lot to make a point.

Pawnmower
08-15-2010, 11:51 AM
I haven't seen anyone say it (in this thread - maybe i missed it though) but in the NFC I really, REALLY like Pete Carrol. I think that the Seahawks in a couple seasons will be a powerhouse, and I love what he is doing up there. I'm REALLY glad theyre not in our division any more because I think think theyre gonna be strong for years with him.

Plus I love their draft this year...I think their first couple of picks will be solid starters for years.

chiefforlife
08-15-2010, 11:52 AM
After watching Hard Knocks I am a fan of Rex Ryan. A football guy through and through.
Plus he doesn't feel like he has to cuss a lot to make a point.

Didnt he just get in trouble for dropping 100 F-bombs in 60 seconds, or something like that. He apologized for it anyway.

Yeah, I am liking him also. He is great to watch and gets results.

BigChiefFan
08-15-2010, 12:02 PM
Bill Walsh and Hank Stram are the best head coaches of all time, IMO.

vailpass
08-15-2010, 12:06 PM
Didnt he just get in trouble for dropping 100 F-bombs in 60 seconds, or something like that. He apologized for it anyway.

Yeah, I am liking him also. He is great to watch and gets results.

:D The sentence about him not cussing was not meant to be taken seriously.
The rest of the post was though. I like how he runs his show old school; how he is the guy his player would want at his back in a dark alley.

Guy leads with his balls and his coaching staff picks up on that. He sets the tone for that organization.

chiefforlife
08-15-2010, 12:14 PM
:D The sentence about him not cussing was not meant to be taken seriously.
The rest of the post was though. I like how he runs his show old school; how he is the guy his player would want at his back in a dark alley.

Guy leads with his balls and his coaching staff picks up on that. He sets the tone for that organization.

Heh, I guess I should have caught that. lol.

DJ's left nut
08-15-2010, 12:18 PM
In Order:

John Harbaugh
Ken Wisenhunt
Jeff Fisher
John Fox
Mike Tomlin
Mike Smith
Mike McCarthy
Jim Schwartz
Steve Spaniolo
Sean Peyton
Gary Kubiak

I'm sure there are any number of inconsistencies in this list, but I don't really care. If I could go after any coach in the NFL, these would be my choices.