PDA

View Full Version : Home and Auto Anybody own one of these?

gblowfish
08-15-2010, 07:47 PM
Wifey is looking at getting a new car.
We have it narrowed down to:

Ford Taurus
Dodge Charger
Buick Lucerne

Any of you good CPers own any of these fine autos, either 2010 or 2011 model? If so, anything you like or dislike. We're just starting our search.

Bane
08-15-2010, 08:12 PM
no
no
no,but good luck.

Deberg_1990
08-15-2010, 08:17 PM
No luv for Honda Accord or Toyota Camry?

mikeyis4dcats.
08-15-2010, 08:21 PM
Look at the Mercury Milan/Ford Fusion

luv
08-15-2010, 08:26 PM
If you're considering a Ford, I'd take a closer look at the Fusion. Seems she like a larger car, though? Out of those three, I'd go with the Buick.

Baconeater
You've been here long enough to know that anything American sucks.

ChiefsCountry
I got three Ford dealers as clients - so I guess go with the Ford Taurus
:)

gblowfish
08-15-2010, 08:46 PM
You've been here long enough to know that anything American sucks.

I don't know what is built where now for sure. I'm pretty sure all three of these are built in the USA, as is the Toyota and Honda. Wifey just wants a bigger car than a Fusion.

I kind of like the Taurus the best of the three. I think the new Fords are actually very well built.

Mr. Laz
08-15-2010, 09:00 PM
Ford Taurus is pretty decent, no frills type car ... good gas mileage.

KC-TBB
08-15-2010, 09:04 PM
I travel a lot and have driven all three as rentals (for about a week at a time)...Taurus: nice car, no obvious negatives...Charger: noisy at highway speeds and bad re-sell value..Lucerne: nice looker, rides nice but couldnt get used to the a pillars for the windows...blocked your vision, even backing up was a problem...have her test drive one and try to back up, she'll see what I mean.

googlegoogle
08-15-2010, 09:56 PM
http://www.ccjpinternational.info/usercars/32-dodge-charger.jpg

POND_OF_RED
08-15-2010, 10:31 PM
I used to drive a Taurus. They're nice cars but they definitely make it harder to buy drugs from strangers.

jjjayb
08-16-2010, 06:01 AM
Ford Taurus is pretty decent, no frills type car ... good gas mileage.

Have you seen the new Ford Taurus? It's anything but no frills. I say get the Taurus, but I'm biased. I sell Fords.

RedDread
08-16-2010, 06:23 AM
After getting back from my last tour I purchased an '06 Charger R/T. I sold it about 8 months later. There were some things I liked and disliked with it. I liked the exterior design, but it created some places were the viewing angles were cut down when you were looking around. If a stop light was too high up I would have to crane my neck down to see when it turned green. The view out the side windows was less than any other car I had driven before. My version was also rear drive (although they do offer AWD versions now) and it was absolutely a nightmare in the snow. I've had RWD cars since I started driving and this was the worst handling, by far. It would slip with almost any precip on the roadway. However, the major thing that made me want to trade it in was the body roll. Taking turns would make the whole car tilt to a high degree. It wasn't a safety issue but it was unnerving when making what I would consider turns at standard speeds.

I traded it for an '09 Pontiac G8 GT. Both had about the same amount of interior space but the handling on the G8 is light-years better.

stevieray
08-16-2010, 06:33 AM
buy the buick

Count Zarth
08-16-2010, 07:18 AM
The new Ford Taurus is amazing.

The cooled seats rock. If you can afford it, get the SHO. Such an awesome car, really comfortable, has the only engine of it's kind on the market. Fuel economy of a V6 with the performance of a V8.

loochy
08-16-2010, 08:09 AM
The new Ford Taurus is amazing.

The cooled seats rock. If you can afford it, get the SHO. Such an awesome car, really comfortable, has the only engine of it's kind on the market. Fuel economy of a V6 with the performance of a V8.

Yeah, the SHO is pretty badass dude...it's not the Taurus of yesteryear. The twin turbocharged V6 version has 365 HP with 350 lb ft of torque...

http://www.tuneyfish.com/blog/2010-Ford_Taurus_SHO.jpg

loochy
08-16-2010, 08:12 AM
I traded it for an '09 Pontiac G8 GT. Both had about the same amount of interior space but the handling on the G8 is light-years better.

So you like your G8? I'm pretty disappointed that GM stopped the Pontiac line since they finally made a car I really liked. I probably would have bought one in a year or two....

gblowfish
08-16-2010, 09:15 AM
Yeah, the SHO is pretty badass dude...it's not the Taurus of yesteryear. The twin turbocharged V6 version has 365 HP with 350 lb ft of torque...

http://www.tuneyfish.com/blog/2010-Ford_Taurus_SHO.jpg

THE SHO is very nice, but it's also really expensive, around $44,000. Might as well buy a Mercedes or a BMW for that. Also the turbocharged engine needs 91 octane gas, can't burn just regular unleaded.

I think maybe the Taurus Limited package is what we're looking at.

I've heard enough about the Charger to maybe step back from that. Rear wheel drive in the snow has been a major concern. All the Chargers I saw for sale in KC (Gladstone, Landmark, Bob Hoss Dodge) were all RWD only, no All Wheel Drive models available.

I like the Buicks too, but I don't think my wife will drive a GM car. She had a Pontiac drop its transmission in the street back in the 1980's and has driven Mercury and Ford ever since.

Brock
08-16-2010, 09:20 AM
thetruthaboutcars.com

best car review site on the web.

dilligaf
08-16-2010, 09:25 AM
Out of those three, I would definately go with the Taurus. However...Toyota Avalon maybe?

El Jefe
08-16-2010, 09:25 AM
Wifey is looking at getting a new car.
We have it narrowed down to:

Ford Taurus
Dodge Charger
Buick Lucerne

Any of you good CPers own any of these fine autos, either 2010 or 2011 model? If so, anything you like or dislike. We're just starting our search.

I know anything you could want to know about the Lucerne and the Charger, PM me what you want to know.

'Hamas' Jenkins
08-16-2010, 09:29 AM
Why anyone would buy a Dodge or a Buick is totally beyond me.

HemiEd
08-16-2010, 09:49 AM
Those are all three great cars.

I have a friend with a new Lucerne, and it is very, very nice. I drove it some, and it was light years of improvement over his previous 2 year old Buick. It was night and day.

The LX platform, Charger/300C was only slightly changed (shorter) for the LY platform Challenger. So essentially they are pretty much the same car. They are made on the same line.
I have 22,000 miles on my Challenger now, and wouldn't trade it, no regrets, even though it is the most I ever paid for a car. 28.6 mpg on the Highway, 13.67 in the 1/4, and rides and drives great.

But in the interest of full disclosure, the transmission is about the only major component made domestically, and it is a Mercedes trans. The plant is in Brampton, Ontario, and the engine is assembled in Mexico.

The new Taurus no longer has the looks of a rental car cheapy, they really look nice and their quality record is stellar.