PDA

View Full Version : U.S. Issues The Cure for Section 8 Housing?

healthpellets
08-16-2010, 08:07 AM
Neal Boortz (http://boortz.com/) has come up with a seemingly solid proposal to solve the problem of Section 8 housing. In case you're not familiar with Section 8 housing (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Section_8_(housing)), there tends to be a concentration of crime (http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2008/07/american-murder-mystery/6872/) in these areas.

Anyway, here's his proposal.

http://boortz.com/nealz_nuze/2010/08/more-on-the-section-8-moochers.html

Well first you need to read my column from this past Saturday's Atlanta Journal-Constitution. Here's your link (http://www.ajc.com/opinion/neal-boortz-gotta-say-591792.html). The editors pretty much left my insensitive thoughts unchanged ... though they did urge me not to talk about wading in the urine of the babies belonging to the wonderful Section 8 applicants years ago down the hall from my law office. They were right .. nobody needed that visual Saturday morning.

These Section 8 moochers are a problem. In most cases they bring crime, drugs and gangs to the neighborhoods when Section 8 housing exists to any degree. But now that you've read the column, you know that I have a alternative suggestion I would like to make. Surely we can find a way to keep these people from polluting otherwise desirable neighborhoods with their culture of entitlement and all that goes with it.

OK ... here you go. My idea is to establish economic refugee centers where people who (usually with nobody to blame but themselves) can't cope are able to go to get the assistance they need.

The concept is really very simple. This country is littered with abandoned military bases and with quite a few more that aren't needed any more and need to be closed. These bases will be the locations for the economic refugee centers. The first thing you do is remove the gates. You never want to leave the impression that those seeking help are somehow being restrained against their will. You keep the fences to ward off those would prey on the folks seeking help.

Now since these centers are located in abandoned military bases you have all of the facilities you need to take care of large numbers of people. There are sleeping, dining and medical facilities as well as training facilities. The idea here is very simple. Anyone who finds themselves unable to cope - they might be homeless, hungry, in need of medical care ... all they have to do is present themselves at one of these centers. They will be given a place to sleep - for them and their children if necessary. They will be fed three meals a day. They will be provided with clothing and basic personal items. Their medical needs will be addressed.

While in the camp the residents will be provided with drug and alcohol rehabilitation and job training and they will be expected to work where able to maintain and operate the facility. The goal will be to get these people off drugs and booze and to prepare them to make some kind of a living when they leave. Breaches of the peace and the use of drugs or alcohol will be punished harshly - and that includes tobacco. When a resident believes that he or she is ready to survive on the "outside" they will be free to leave. Their choice. Job placement services will be available. If they chose to leave, however, all freebies stop. Arrangements might be made for temporary housing ... but there will be a definite time limit. None of the generational welfare housing inhabitants we enjoy today.

Sound insensitive? Well break my heart. These people are using the government as an instrument of plunder. They are using the police power of government to do something for them that if they were to do it for themselves would be a crime. They can't back you into a dark alley and grab money out of your wallet, no matter how desperate their situation may be. Why, then, is it perfectly OK for them to ask the government to do that for them? Does theft suddenly become OK if an elected official does it for you?

OH ... forgot one thing about these economic refugee centers. Perhaps we might want to address that fact that these moochers see absolutely nothing in the world wrong with downloading babies they have no way to support or raise. Eliminate their parental rights and put them up for adoption perhaps?

Garcia Bronco
08-16-2010, 08:51 AM
Section 8 housing is proof we need labor camps that pay a wage. And the rent shouldn't exceed the wage. In fact it should be somewhere around 10 percent of the wage so it's truly a leg up.

Fat Elvis
08-16-2010, 10:33 AM
Quit being a pussy and just go full soilent green on the poor.

patteeu
08-16-2010, 02:50 PM
I've liked this idea since I had it a decade or two ago.

Off topic: what ever happened to protecting CP from the copyright police?

healthpellets
08-16-2010, 02:52 PM
Off topic: what ever happened to protecting CP from the copyright police?

if boortz is gonna come after CP, so be it. but he at least seems like a guy that would send a takedown notice first.

patteeu
08-16-2010, 02:58 PM
if boortz is gonna come after CP, so be it. but he at least seems like a guy that would send a takedown notice first.

OK. I must have misunderstood the directive.

First, never ever post anything from the LVRJ unless it is only a link to a story on their site. Those a$$holes at RightHaven will find it.

Second, don't post the full text of any story on CP. Ever. I'm as guilty as anyone and will be going through my threads and removing the story only leaving the link. I suggest you do the same.

Third, the "fair use" argument is pretty worthless. And surely doesn't encompass the posting of entire articles. Or probably even entire paragraphs.

This doesn't just apply to DC, but all of CP. Be careful.

:Poke:

It's OK, I didn't take it seriously in the first place.

healthpellets
08-16-2010, 03:07 PM
OK. I must have misunderstood the directive.

:Poke:

It's OK, I didn't take it seriously in the first place.

i know. i suck.

patteeu
08-16-2010, 03:10 PM
:LOL:

So back to the topic...

Quit being a pussy and just go full soilent green on the poor.

I take it you don't like this idea Fat Elvis. What part don't you like and why?

Bowser
08-16-2010, 03:34 PM
I was talking with a St. Louis resident last week about how they are tearing down the Section 8 housing around the TWA Dome, or the Edward Jones Dome, or whatever it is now, and the owners are making it parking for the place, and making good money doing it.

2bikemike
08-16-2010, 08:46 PM
You know I like Boort's Idea. I would take it a step further and treat it just like the military does. Make those living there getting the 3 meals work the galleys and food service. They can work the laundry's and keep the place clean. Pull your weight or get the :cuss: out.

healthpellets
08-17-2010, 08:16 AM
You know I like Boort's Idea. I would take it a step further and treat it just like the military does. Make those living there getting the 3 meals work the galleys and food service. They can work the laundry's and keep the place clean. Pull your weight or get the :cuss: out.

:thumb:

KC native
08-17-2010, 02:56 PM
Nonsense.

However, the trend has been moving away from Section 8 complexes. Everything that I've read about it over the last few years has said they are moving to models where the integrate the section 8 housing amongst regular housing instead of creating giant projects which just breed crime.

healthpellets
08-17-2010, 03:02 PM
Nonsense.

However, the trend has been moving away from Section 8 complexes. Everything that I've read about it over the last few years has said they are moving to models where the integrate the section 8 housing amongst regular housing instead of creating giant projects which just breed crime.

do they have to notify the original residents? like when sex offender moves to town?

KC native
08-17-2010, 03:05 PM
do they have to notify the original residents? like when sex offender moves to town?

Not sure. It usually isn't a secret though. There are some nice apartment complexes in Fort Worth that accept Section 8 residents and have normal residents and they're just fine. There was a big fight over it initially. Now, no one cares.

healthpellets
08-17-2010, 03:05 PM
Not sure. It usually isn't a secret though. There are some nice apartment complexes in Fort Worth that accept Section 8 residents and have normal residents and they're just fine. There was a big fight over it initially. Now, no one cares.

hopefully it becomes a successful trend...if it works.

Baby Lee
08-17-2010, 03:23 PM

Friend's mom had Section 8 move in down the block from her. She lived in an upper middle class [250-350K 3BR 3 bath] subdivision. Three months later house was on the market at 140K, . . . without bathtubs, brass piping, any appliances or electrical wiring. Wish I had the jack at the time to take advantage.

healthpellets
08-17-2010, 03:53 PM
Friend's mom had Section 8 move in down the block from her. She lived in an upper middle class [250-350K 3BR 3 bath] subdivision. Three months later house was on the market at 140K, . . . without bathtubs, brass piping, any appliances or electrical wiring. Wish I had the jack at the time to take advantage.

whoa. wtf? how was anyone section 8 for that neighborhood?

KC native
08-17-2010, 07:58 PM

Um, let me guess. Your friend's mom probably bought during the bubble and then after housing collapsed she had the house stripped and tried to get what she could. Amirite?

patteeu
08-17-2010, 11:08 PM
Um, let me guess. Your friend's mom probably bought during the bubble and then after housing collapsed she had the house stripped and tried to get what she could. Amirite?

It wasn't his friend's mom's house that was stripped, so no.

KC native
08-17-2010, 11:13 PM
It wasn't his friend's mom's house that was stripped, so no.

Ah misread. Probably a foreclosure then.