PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Speculation from Detroit about Derrick Johnson

Stinger
08-16-2010, 09:50 AM
Chris McCosky says the Lions had internal discussions about Chiefs ILB Derrick Johnson earlier in the summer and could revisit that idea now that Jordon Dizon (knee) is down.

McCosky is just speculating here, but Johnson has been in coach Todd Haley's doghouse for some time now. Perhaps a fresh start in a new scheme would spark Johnson. With Dizon out for the year and DeAndre Levy struggling with a back injury, the Lions badly need help in the middle.

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.aspx?sport=NFL&id=3172

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lions LB Jordon Dizon likely out for the season
Chris McCosky / The Detroit News

Allen Park -- Now what?

What was an already thin position -- and serious concern -- got worse Saturday when middle linebacker Jordon Dizon went down with what appears to be a season-ending knee injury.

Dizon, who was scheduled for tests Sunday afternoon, was starting in place of DeAndre Levy who has missed just about all of training camp with a lingering back issue.

"We need to get DeAndre back pretty soon," coach Jim Schwartz said after the Lions lost the exhibition opener at Pittsburgh 23-7. "He's pretty close, so that would really help. But if Dizon's injury is what we think it is, we'll probably be making a move there, too."

More than likely the Lions will wait on Levy's status before making any short-term moves.

Veteran special teams expert Vinny Ciurciu replaced Dizon on Saturday and contributed a team-best five solo tackles. Isaiah Ekejiuba saw extended time there Saturday, as well.

For practice purposes, the Lions could use outside linebackers Caleb Campbell and Ashlee Palmer to fill in, as well.

If the Lions decided to bring in another linebacker as a practice replacement, they might look to Ryan Stamper, an undrafted rookie out of Florida whom they looked at over the summer but never signed because of a lingering back issue.

But if Dizon, as the Lions fear, is lost for the season, general manager Martin Mayhew is going to have to find a veteran middle linebacker to backup Levy.

One candidate could be Kansas City's Derrick Johnson. The Lions had some internal conversations about him earlier in the summer, but the Chiefs still haven't parted with him. He's been on a downward spiral in Kansas City, making just 37 tackles last season after averaging 90 his first four seasons.

He's been playing with the third team early in training camp, but he's still just 27 years old and could perhaps benefit from moving to a 4-3 defensive system.

Another candidate that has been mentioned is former Patriot Adalius Thomas. Thomas, though, still unsigned, is an outside linebacker much better suited to a 3-4 system.

Most likely, the Lions will wait for the first round of cuts to occur around the league before making their move on a long-term replacement for Dizon.

From The Detroit News: http://detnews.com/article/20100816/SPORTS0101/8160358/1126/sports0101/Lions-LB-Jordon-Dizon-likely-out-for-the-season#ixzz0wmRWrIOW

loochy
08-16-2010, 09:53 AM
We aren't exactly deep at linebacker either...do we really want to get rid of him?

Sofa King
08-16-2010, 09:54 AM
We aren't exactly deep at linebacker either...do we really want to get rid of him?

Depends what they are willing to give.

But probably not...

DMAC
08-16-2010, 09:59 AM
Not ready to give up on him yet...though I dont know why.

loochy
08-16-2010, 10:02 AM

But probably not...

Yeah, I was wondering that too. The article mentions nothing.

the Talking Can
08-16-2010, 10:04 AM
well, they obviously think he sucks shit....might a well trade him if they have no intention of playing him....

not like our front 7 can really be any worse

Sofa King
08-16-2010, 10:11 AM
Yeah, I was wondering that too. The article mentions nothing.

well i'm definantly against giving him away for free.... :harumph:

talastan
08-16-2010, 10:13 AM

But probably not...

Well they weren't ready to give up what we tendered him for...a first IIRC?

I wouldn't do the deal with them for anything less than a third and some later round pick IMO.

Pioli Zombie
08-16-2010, 10:14 AM
Gee I don't know, maybe because he ran back 2 interceptions for TDs in the final game of the year?

ChiTown
08-16-2010, 10:15 AM
Matthew Stafford for Derrick Johnson straight up.

Make it Happen, Pioli!!!!!!!!!!!1111111111111111111!!!!!!!!!!!!!UNO1111111111111

The Poz
08-16-2010, 10:16 AM
Package DJ and Page. Gunther would take two of his former kids and the Lions are weak at both positions.

DaKCMan AP
Perhaps a fresh start in a new scheme would spark Johnson.

Fresh start in a new scheme? Isn't Gun the Lions DC?

Stanley Nickels
Dorsey, DJ and page for a first, a third and a fifth.
I know I'm verging on baseball-like trade here, but whatever.

'Hamas' Jenkins
08-16-2010, 10:19 AM
Package DJ and Page. Gunther would take two of his former kids and the Lions are weak at both positions.

They are anything but weak at FS. Delmas is a very good player, and substantially better than Page.

loochy
08-16-2010, 10:21 AM
They are anything but weak at FS. Delmas is a very good player, and substantially better than Page.

That's not saying much.

gblowfish
I'd package DJ and Page to Detroit for a 2 and a 4 pick next year.

DaKCMan AP

They're probably happy at DT with Ndamukong Suh, Sammie Hill, and Corey Williams.

At safety they already have Louis Delmas and KO Simpson.

dilligaf
Matthew Stafford for Derrick Johnson straight up.

Make it Happen, Pioli!!!!!!!!!!!1111111111111111111!!!!!!!!!!!!!UNO1111111111111

I was thinking more like Calvin Johnson...:thumb:

'Hamas' Jenkins

They already have Suh, Corey Williams, and Sammie Lee Hill to play DT.

Delmas is a much better FS than Page will ever be.

DJ is the only player they even have a need for.

'Hamas' Jenkins
That's not saying much.

Hence the first part of that sentence.

The Poz
08-16-2010, 10:25 AM

Yes but there is concern over his groin injury with no depth behind him.

From rotoworld:
"Rookie FS Randy Phillips, signed just two days ago, is already taking reps with the Lions' No. 1 defense.
He quickly passed Marvin White on the depth chart behind injured starting FS Louis Delmas. Phillips went undrafted out of Miami, mostly because of a torn right labrum that sabotaged his 2009 season. His quick rise is an indictment of the Lions' secondary, which is the dregs of the NFL."

'Hamas' Jenkins
08-16-2010, 10:27 AM
The Lions aren't going to trade anything for Page when they could get a guy with comparable talent off the street.

Aside from taking Pettigrew over Oher in 2009, they have made very intelligent personnel decisions. This isn't Gun asking for and getting Junior Siavii.

KCtotheSB
08-16-2010, 10:29 AM
I'm still confused on what Haley's beef with DJ is.....

loochy
08-16-2010, 10:32 AM

I think it has to do with DJ not being as good as he can be and Haley just gets frustrated with that.

DaneMcCloud
08-16-2010, 11:01 AM

Seriously?

LMAO

The guy makes ONE good play, then disappears for games at a time. He's terribly inconsistent and doesn't make the "easy" plays on defense.

If the Chiefs can get a 5th rounder for him, get it. That player will be more valuable than DJ next year.

Micjones
08-16-2010, 11:08 AM
We're already thin at LB.
Unless they're offering a King's Ransom for him he should stay here and start.

FAX
08-16-2010, 11:10 AM
I'm not ready to give up on DJ. I don't think Haley is, either.

If Detroit wants him, they would have to pony up some serious consideration.

FAX

FAX
08-16-2010, 11:11 AM
Seriously?

LMAO

The guy makes ONE good play, then disappears for games at a time. He's terribly inconsistent and doesn't make the "easy" plays on defense.

If the Chiefs can get a 5th rounder for him, get it. That player will be more valuable than DJ next year.

I think DJ has had some serious mental/psychological issues that have affected his concentration and motivation.

I don't think we give up on him just yet.

FAX

Spicy McHaggis
08-16-2010, 11:14 AM
They already have Suh, Corey Williams, and Sammie Lee Hill to play DT.

Delmas is a much better FS than Page will ever be.

DJ is the only player they even have a need for.

I thought Delmas was dragging a leg still. Probably doesn't change anything, but it would lend more credence to the idea of a trade.

bobbything
08-16-2010, 11:14 AM
well, they obviously think he sucks shit
I'm not completely convinced this staff knows how to evaluate talent. Not saying that DJ is an incredible linebacker, but this staff looks to me like they're either:

(a) Sketchy in their ability to evaluate talent, or
(b) So stubborn that they'll cut off their nose to spite their face when it comes to the best players on this team

I tend to lean towards option B, but either way, I think it's a problem.

DaneMcCloud
08-16-2010, 11:16 AM
I think DJ has had some serious mental/psychological issues that have affected his concentration and motivation.

FAX

Dude, he's in his sixth season. If he hasn't gotten yet, he's never going to get it.

I'm sorry but I believe the latter. And if Detroit is willing to part with draft picks, the Chiefs should jump on it.

Fish
08-16-2010, 11:16 AM
Dammit Gunther! Get off that fucking table!!!

ChiTown
08-16-2010, 11:17 AM
Dude, he's in his sixth season. If he hasn't gotten yet, he's never going to get it.

I'm sorry but I believe the latter. And if Detroit is willing to part with draft picks, the Chiefs should jump on it.

Hells yeah.

FAX
08-16-2010, 11:21 AM

I agree to disagree with you.

Nevertheless, if they decide to deal him, Detroit needs to pony up. DJ has high potential. I've seen it and so have you.

FAX

Brainiac
08-16-2010, 11:23 AM
Seriously?

LMAO

Not only that, but he likes to run where ever he thinks the ball is instead of staying home. That leads to blown assignments and big plays for the other team.

Flachief58
08-16-2010, 11:27 AM
Bright spots are great but the reallity is, you must perform on EVERY down or else it don't count. There are alot of missed tackles and out of position plays to offset the good plays. He has been around long enough to prove he is the star he was drafted to be. Maybe it's the system, maybe it's the player, but how long are we willing to hold on to a guy with "potential" who is under performing. 3 years seems to be the benchmark, and he missed the deadline.

Gee I don't know, maybe because he ran back 2 interceptions for TDs in the final game of the year?

Bane
08-16-2010, 11:28 AM

Just one more wasted 1st rounder on the pile IMO.

Mr. Laz
08-16-2010, 11:32 AM
considering how little we did to improve the LB corp ... i doubt we trade DJ now.

he's cheap and a quality nickle linebacker

Hog Farmer
08-16-2010, 12:23 PM
If they'll give us a 2nd I'd say do it. If we could put together enough ammo we could move up next year to get us a QB. Chances are we won't need to move far.

PhillyChiefFan
08-16-2010, 12:44 PM
With a Crennel as DC I'm willing to give him another year to live up to his potential.

After this year, if he isn't playing even close to it...deal him to the highest bidder.

Harsh, but he has had the time to develop and hasn't come close to his draft stock.

MOhillbilly
08-16-2010, 12:47 PM
DJ would be an allstar @ wiffle ball.

Demonpenz
08-16-2010, 01:24 PM
well, they obviously think he sucks shit....might a well trade him if they have no intention of playing him....

not like our front 7 can really be any worse

sucks bannanas

Dicky McElephant
08-16-2010, 07:14 PM
I'll take Sammie Lee Hill please.

the Talking Can
08-16-2010, 07:15 PM
If they'll give us a 2nd I'd say do it. If we could put together enough ammo we could move up next year to get us a QB. Chances are we won't need to move far.

why on earth would anyone give a 2nd for DJ?

BryanBusby
08-16-2010, 07:15 PM
Every time a player on the Lions roster has gone down with an injury, the Lions beat writers throw out a possible trade for one of Guns players on the D as possible. None of them has actually happened.

Hog Farmer
08-16-2010, 08:05 PM
why on earth would anyone give a 2nd for DJ?

Why on Earth would anybody trade two 1st's for Roy Williams ??????????

the Talking Can
08-16-2010, 08:07 PM
Why on Earth would anybody trade two 1st's for Roy Williams ??????????

yeah.....sorry i asked

BigRedChief
08-16-2010, 08:19 PM
I think DJ has had some serious mental/psychological issues that have affected his concentration and motivation.THIS!

And I call BS on anyone who thinks Haley hates DJ. DJ's getting the tough love treatment to help him not just as a LB but as a person.

Blick
08-16-2010, 08:23 PM
I hope Haley is done with the "tough love" bullshit. DJ needs to be starting and resting with the other 1's in the pre-season before he gets Barry Richardson'd in the 4th quarter and we have to go with Williams and Mays for a full season of pure garbage again.

DTLB58
08-16-2010, 08:24 PM
Do they have a RT to trade for him?

boogblaster
08-16-2010, 08:32 PM
detroit doesnt have anything worth trading for

chop
08-16-2010, 08:44 PM
Do they have a RT to trade for him?

Not really. They are hurting there also. They are planning on playing Gosder Cherilus there but he has already been called out by the coaches.

TEX
08-16-2010, 08:45 PM

Because he shows you thathe can play just enough to keep the faith. Hopefully Crennel can get the best out of DJ.

Marcellus
08-16-2010, 09:06 PM
KC doesn't want to trade DJ or he would already be gone.

BigRedChief
08-16-2010, 09:28 PM
KC doesn't want to trade DJ or he would already be gone.And the fact he's still here proves that Haley hasn't given up on DJ.

DeezNutz
08-16-2010, 09:37 PM

FAX

I think it's called stupidity.

notorious
08-16-2010, 09:40 PM

LOL

KC Tattoo
08-16-2010, 09:46 PM
DJ can still be a play maker, especially when you least expect him to be. Problem is we expect a hell of a lot more consistantly. I don't want us to give up on him, yet. He has more potential than the rest of our linebackers we have. That's sad we don't have much to go with. It would be nice if he was consistant, we need to find a solution to this. Just play him on passing downs and give him opportunities that way to make plays. He can blitz, and very good in coverage.

Chazno
08-16-2010, 10:21 PM
I missed the game, but according to Nick Wright, DJ, Waters and Succop were the captains. He also said that DJ was to start this saturday.

DaneMcCloud
08-16-2010, 11:20 PM
detroit doesnt have anything worth trading for

Uh, draft choices.

Regardless of BRC's inside scoops, I think the Chiefs would be very remiss in not dumping DJ.

He's a 6th round linebacker that went #15 overall. His play has been extremely inconsistent over the past 5 seasons and regardless of Haley's "affection" for him, business is business.

Dump his sorry ass for whatever someone will pay.

bigbucks24
08-17-2010, 12:42 AM
With a Crennel as DC I'm willing to give him another year to live up to his potential.

After this year, if he isn't playing even close to it...deal him to the highest bidder.

Harsh, but he has had the time to develop and hasn't come close to his draft stock.

How high does the bidding go for a 6th year linebacker that has never lived up to his potential and can't even make it on the KC Chiefs roster?

Wallcrawler
08-17-2010, 12:49 AM
KC is probably the WORST place that a rookie LB could have come when DJ got drafted.

Vermiel's Chiefs had the defense that a pop warner league could drop 50 points on.

Herman Edwards? Effin CLUELESS.

Now Haley comes in, never head coached before, and DJ has had the legendary coaches of Gunther Cunningham and Clancy effin Pendergast to try to coach him up.

New Coaches, and constantly new schemes since the rookie season couldnt have helped DJ. Im thinking had he gone somewhere else, he would be the beast we all thought he was going to be.

First off, freelancing in the NFL at LB is a cardinal sin. I think LT is the only guy to do it successfully and its a much different game than when he was playing. That crap shouldve been stopped immediately.

Now, maybe Crennel knows his shit, or maybe Crennel was just like Gunther and the players he had on his championship caliber defenses made him look much better than he really is, I dont know but hes now the third coordinator to come in and change things up in the 5 years DJ has been here.

I wouldnt expect a miracle, but a consistent defensive scheme and a consistent coaching presence could probably go a long way toward getting Johnson's play elevated.

Its not like any of the other Chiefs defenders are turning any heads either during this timeframe.

T-post Tom
08-17-2010, 01:23 AM
Quite a fall from grace for Adalius Thomas. Haven't heard his name in awhile. I guess getting blackballed by Belichick is the career equivilent of getting a kiss from Michael Corleone.

kysirsoze
08-17-2010, 01:49 AM
but he's still just 27 years old and could perhaps benefit from moving to a 4-3 defensive system.

moving to a 4-3? You mean like what he played in almost his entire career? Yeah, that's probably gonna do it.

michaelj_58
08-17-2010, 04:16 AM
do the lions have any decent offensive lineman?

Von Dumbass
08-17-2010, 04:25 AM
I'd package DJ and Page to Detroit for a 2 and a 4 pick next year.

I don't think a team would give the Chiefs a fourth round pick for either of those players let alone a second.

I mean Santonio Holmes and Anquan Boldin only got their original teams a 3rd and a 5th round pick.

Saccopoo
08-17-2010, 04:50 AM
First rounder...don't give him away!...picks, picks, picks...

The fucking guy sucks. Two interceptions against a team who was throwing them up for grabs. Just like our offensive line suddenly got better, remarkably so, just that very game, which led every stupid fuck to believe that they were, to a man, suddenly okay. Just like DJ.

So, for those dumb fuckers who think that the offensive line should get another year (because Herm and Carl drafted them and they are the end all, be all of talent evaluators), then DJ needs yet another year to prove that he was so worth that first round draft pick. I only hope that Branden Albert and Glenn Dorsey get so much time and consideration as Derrick Johnson so they can also pan out so we don't have to spend another high round draft pick on those positions and we can continue to concentrate on more valuable positions such as safety, nickle back, slot receiver, guard and tight end.

Saccopoo
08-17-2010, 04:51 AM
do the lions have any decent offensive lineman?

To a man, probably better than what the Chiefs have.

notorious
08-17-2010, 08:27 AM
I think DJ is often so out of position that it puts him in position to make plays.

FAX
08-17-2010, 09:22 AM

ROFL

That's the word I was looking for.

FAX

MOhillbilly
08-17-2010, 09:28 AM
you play out of position at LB you look like shit.

end of story.