PDA

View Full Version : Other Sports Whitlock leaving The Star official...

Pages : [1] 2

warpaint*
08-16-2010, 10:39 PM
http://www.kansascity.com/2010/08/16/2154473/jason-whitlock-is-leaving-the.html

teedubya
08-16-2010, 10:43 PM
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_PmxExJ1vXtg/TBBDGvmcxkI/AAAAAAAAAJI/dFkN1txzSmw/s400/wellbye.jpg

pr_capone
08-16-2010, 10:49 PM
http://img199.imageshack.us/img199/7233/theresthedoornowgetthef.jpg

big nasty kcnut
08-16-2010, 10:51 PM
Bye fat ass

MoreLemonPledge
08-16-2010, 10:52 PM
http://monica.invisionzone.com/style_emoticons/default/ari31hi4.gif

DeezNutz
He was a very good columnist, and The Star's sports section is now officially irrelevant.

"Now that's a column I agree with!"/CP, after every fucking JWhit column

T-post Tom
Carl was his mojo. He hasn't been the same since Carl left. ;)

doomy3
08-16-2010, 10:53 PM
That's too bad. He brought some national exposure to The Star and to Kansas City in general.

Chocolate Hog
08-16-2010, 10:53 PM
See ya fag

DeezNutz
08-16-2010, 10:55 PM
I hate you because you're successful and have better control of the English language than I do.

Chocolate Hog
08-16-2010, 10:56 PM
I hate you because you're successful and have better control of the English language than I do.

We're being invaded by Mexicans anyway.

pr_capone
08-16-2010, 10:59 PM
We're being invaded by Mexicans anyway.

I speak Spanish!

big nasty kcnut
08-16-2010, 11:02 PM
So do i a little i'm half Mexican.

Phobia
08-16-2010, 11:07 PM
Pffft - who cares? I haven't missed him whatsoever.

Phobia
08-16-2010, 11:08 PM
So do i a little i'm half Mexican.

Bradio Essay

munkey
08-16-2010, 11:09 PM
Pffft - who cares? I haven't missed him whatsoever.

I agree...COMPLETELY...

POND_OF_RED
08-16-2010, 11:21 PM
Damn that sucks. This will surely be the beginning of the end for buffets in Kansas City.

DaneMcCloud
08-16-2010, 11:29 PM
I'm sure the butthurt will be strong in this thread.

Meanwhile, the Kansas City sports scene will become even more irrelevant without Jason's national presence.

WV
08-16-2010, 11:36 PM
Can we still use Fatlock??

BIG_DADDY
08-17-2010, 12:02 AM
Did they pull his food privledges?

Bowser
08-17-2010, 12:06 AM
Newspapers are dying a slow death, anyway. He'll be a columnist somewhere, if not just live off a blog or three.

I don't understand all the hate for him, really. Not all of his columns were can't miss reads, but the guy knew how to write.

DaneMcCloud
08-17-2010, 12:09 AM
Newspapers are dying a slow death, anyway. He'll be a columnist somewhere, if not just live off a blog or three.

I don't understand all the hate for him, really. Not all of his columns were can't miss reads, but the guy knew how to write.

He told the truth, he was controversial and he didn't pull punches.

KC fans don't like to hear two of things in one sitting, let alone all three.

KcMizzou
08-17-2010, 12:20 AM
Meh, the Star is like the Royals, I guess. You had to know Poz and Whitlock would eventually move on to bigger and better things.

ChiefsCountry
08-17-2010, 12:26 AM
That sucks he was the last good writer the Star had.

ChiefsCountry
08-17-2010, 12:27 AM
Newspapers are dying a slow death, anyway.

Not really. The company I work for our newspapers are experiencing growth in subscriptions. Our online stuff is off the wall and print verisons are doing very well.

Short Leash Hootie
08-17-2010, 12:28 AM
we'll miss you jwhit...at least I will...I grew up as a kid reading every column...one of my favorite writers

KcMizzou
08-17-2010, 12:29 AM
That sucks he was the last good writer the Star had.Babb and Mellinger have seemed to be gearing up to take that place for a while now. Writing opinion pieces, anyway.

COchief
08-17-2010, 12:34 AM
Not really. The company I work for our newspapers are experiencing growth in subscriptions. Our online stuff is off the wall and print verisons are doing very well.

Yeah sure buddy... keep drinking that koolaid.

patteeu
08-17-2010, 12:35 AM

I agree. I found him entertaining.

ChiefsCountry
08-17-2010, 12:37 AM
Yeah sure buddy... keep drinking that koolaid.

Considering the company just paid back profits..I'll keep laughing to the bank.

Slainte
08-17-2010, 12:44 AM
That's too bad. He brought some national exposure to The Star and to Kansas City in general.

And that's the double truth, Ruth...

BossChief
08-17-2010, 12:49 AM
So the info I got months ago was right after all...

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=222479&highlight=jwhit

CoMoChief
08-17-2010, 01:01 AM

Seriously who gives a shit about this?

Reality is that no ones reads the damn paper anymore with internet/blogs etc. I mean unless you're over the age of 40 maybe.

Same reason why the postal service is going bankrupt. People don't write letters anymore, most people send email and pay bills online, or have them auto-withdraw from their bank acct.

We've been turning into a more "non-paper" culture for the past decade or so.

Reaper16
08-17-2010, 01:07 AM
The Star's sports section used to be the best in the country. Now that Poz and Whitlock are gone, it isn't even close. You still have some excellent beat reporting, and I like Sam Mellinger, but the section doesn't have the talent it once did. That golden era around 2003-2004 when Ivan Carter was covering the Chiefs and Jeff Passan was covering the Royals and Wright Thompson was on staff and Whitlock and Posnanski were doing columns... that was an unbeatable sports section.

T-post Tom
08-17-2010, 01:13 AM
The Star's sports section used to be the best in the country. Now that Poz and Whitlock are gone, it isn't even close. You still have some excellent beat reporting, and I like Sam Mellinger, but the section doesn't have the talent it once did. That golden era around 2003-2004 when Ivan Carter was covering the Chiefs and Jeff Passan was covering the Royals and Wright Thompson was on staff and Whitlock and Posnanski were doing columns... that was an unbeatable sports section.

Did Hemingway ever do any work in the Star Sports section? Now that fella knew a few things about an apt turn of phrase.

Count Zarth
08-17-2010, 01:15 AM
So do I submit a resume now or what?

DaneMcCloud
08-17-2010, 01:17 AM

Go for it

'Hamas' Jenkins
08-17-2010, 01:28 AM
He was a very underrated columnist, it's just that most didn't see him for the persona he played. He was the heel to JoPo's face.

This is the death knell for Star sports, and regardless of what many may think, his Monday morning columns about the Chiefs were always good for discussion.

Count Zarth
08-17-2010, 01:29 AM
This is the death knell for Star sports, and regardless of what many may think, his Monday morning columns about the Chiefs were always good for discussion.

Whitlock saw the Pioli FAIL coming before anyone.

He saved the best for last.

DaneMcCloud
08-17-2010, 01:31 AM

Anyone?

Anyone that wrote for The Star?

:rolleyes:

DaneMcCloud
08-17-2010, 01:32 AM
Did Hemingway ever do any work in the Star Sports section? Now that fella knew a few things about an apt turn of phrase.

That "fella" would have tea-bagged you, just for sport.

'Hamas' Jenkins
08-17-2010, 01:35 AM

He saved the best for last.

There were plenty who saw the writing on the wall on 2/28/2009.

Silock
08-17-2010, 02:11 AM
I'll miss the exposure, but I won't miss the man. For every article that was good, there were 4 that were not. Plus, he liked to inject race into everything, whether there was good cause or not.

So, oh well.

2bikemike
08-17-2010, 03:38 AM
AMF, no more talk of Whitlocks man crush on Jeff George.

Baby Lee
08-17-2010, 04:18 AM
Gay?

Dinny Blues
08-17-2010, 04:37 AM

Absolutely.

And send one to KCChiefs.com, Bob Gretz, Phobia and that ChiefsCountry guy.

And by all means, post one here so folks can forward it to places they can find for you.

Mike Ditka once said "If you think you can't, you're right. If you think you can, you might."

Break a leg.

Dinny

siberian khatru
08-17-2010, 05:57 AM
That sucks.

Although I think Jason's columns had become a little too lazy and schticky, he still was good at stirring things up. KC needs someone like that.

I remember the days of boring-ass Gib Twyman and Jon Rand. Then Whitlock came in, and it was like, Wow, real big-city sports column writing! He took shots at the people who needed shots taken at them.

I like Mellinger OK, but I hope they get another shit-stirrer.

chiefsnorth
08-17-2010, 06:03 AM
Losing Posnanski was ten times the loss that this is. Whitlock is a good writer, bit the pot-stirrer act is not hard to replace in large part.

I think newspapers are just dying and can't afford these big salaried columnists, now that no one subscribes to them anymore.

Marcellus
08-17-2010, 06:08 AM
Losing Posnanski was ten times the loss that this is. Whitlock is a good writer, bit the pot-stirrer act is not hard to replace in large part.

I think newspapers are just dying and can't afford these big salaried columnists, now that no one subscribes to them anymore.

x a million.

Whitlock had an occasion good article but typically you could guess the column before it came out. The Jeff George shtick got old, the racism card being thrown into everything got old, the whining got old.

If anything Pioli helped run Twhitlock out of town when he quite giving him access and Jason couldn't come up with a legitimate way to write a column.

And by the way Go Chiefs, Whitlock praised the Pioli hiring, go back and look it up.

LOCOChief
08-17-2010, 06:13 AM

What a crock of shit, but you somehow rose above it all righjt?

Whitlock was the Jerry Springer of sports columnists with a big fat race card that he played one too many times and not to mention that huge chip on his shoulders.

Good riddins you know nothing prick.

ChiTown
08-17-2010, 06:29 AM
That sucks.

Although I think Jason's columns had become a little too lazy and schticky, he still was good at stirring things up. KC needs someone like that.

I remember the days of boring-ass Gib Twyman and Jon Rand. Then Whitlock came in, and it was like, Wow, real big-city sports column writing! He took shots at the people who needed shots taken at them.

I like Mellinger OK, but I hope they get another shit-stirrer.

Agreed. If I want to read what a cheerleader thinks, I'll ask a cheerleader. Whitlock kept it interesting. I didn't always agree with his take, but I certainly enjoyed the action. KC is such a "smallish" town at times. Ugh.

penchief
08-17-2010, 06:37 AM

He was a shit-stirrer and didn't care if what he wrote was fair, or even true. He turned into a one-trick pony. A cartoon character. He allowed himself to be consumed by his own pettiness. He may have been a competent "columnist" at one time but his obsessive pursuit of his own agenda left him behaving unprofessionally and rendered him irrelevant.

the Talking Can
08-17-2010, 06:55 AM
Kansas City has an NFL franchise, and the only coverage now comes from Kent Babb and Adam Teicher?

jesus that is sad...might as well not even cover them....

Count Zarth
08-17-2010, 06:59 AM
Don't forget about Nick Athan!

ChiTown
08-17-2010, 06:59 AM
Kansas City has an NFL franchise, and the only coverage now comes from Kent Babb and Adam Teicher?

jesus that is sad...might as well not even cover them....

To be honest, I'd rather read what GoatBoy has to write about the Chiefs vs that crap from Babb and AT:banghead:

dirk digler
08-17-2010, 07:04 AM
When Whitlock first started he wrote good columns, had good information, and was a great pot stirrer which is what KC needed especially with King Carl in town.

But the last few years his columns have become boring, tired, lazy, with stupid nicknames and mostly about race.

If anyone followed or listened to Whitlock's on the radio you saw this coming it just took a little longer to flame out.

siberian khatru
08-17-2010, 07:06 AM
Why is Mellinger not at camp? Is he incapable of writing about pro football?

For the Star to have no opinion coverage of Chiefs preseason is just ... :shake:

They're really up shit creek here. The Whitlock saga dragged on so long, they haven't been able (willing?) to hire his replacement in time to get up to speed on the Chiefs. So by the time the new guy comes in -- even if it's next week -- he's way behind. He can't really speak with authority about any position battles or Haley and all that.

This is a gaping hole in the Star's coverage, and it just invites even more readers to head to the Internet in search of Chiefs news and opinion -- many of whom will never return.

Oucho Cinco
08-17-2010, 07:09 AM
Whitlock wrote few really good articles, one that he wrote that was really good was regarding the mess that Don Imus caused. That day I read his work and thought he could really do all things better.

He didn't have to be a cheerleader for the local sports team, but he could have done more to support a once proud team. His writing did more to disallusion the fans than anything. The only thing he did in that regard was to bring the fans together in a hate fest for himself.

notorious
08-17-2010, 07:09 AM

This.

We need guys that will be very hard on the Chiefs. Pressure helps push a team to be successful.

Oucho Cinco
08-17-2010, 07:12 AM

The national attention was not the type that was wanted or needed. I, for one, am glad to see him take his act somewhere else. Let the next city grade him after he's been there a while and see how it compares with Kansas City.

ChiTown
08-17-2010, 07:16 AM
The national attention was not the type that was wanted or needed.

:rolleyes:

tooge
08-17-2010, 07:18 AM
i hadn't really noticed that he hasn't written a column for the star in 2 months until I read about it here a few weeks ago. The guy writes a good column about 2 times a year when some sort of controversial topic arises. Other wise, his takes are pretty lame. Bye.

Brainiac
08-17-2010, 07:39 AM
Whitlock's leaving the Star came about 16 years too late. He has always been an immature jerk. The sad thing is that he DOES have a talent for writing. Every now and then he would write a GREAT column, and you'd think "All right, he has finally grown up".

Then he'd start his same tired old bullshit all over again. He was so butt-hurt that the new Chiefs regime refused to give him unlimited access that he decided to start his own personal vendetta against Pioli and Haley. He engaged in childish name-calling every time he wrote an article about the Chiefs, and the way he manufactured the Brian Waters "controversy" last year was just plain embarrassing.

Fatlock tried far too often to make himself the story. You knew whenever a column contained phrases like "ruggedly handsome sportswriter", "the psychologist B.A Homer", "Jeff George", "Scott Egoli", or "Ball State" that it was going to be a waste of time to read. His shtick got old 16 years ago. He was an embarrassment to the Star, and I have no doubt that the decision to leave was made FOR HIM, not BY HIM.

He had the greatest gig in the world when he was doing the Sports Reporters show on ESPN on Sundays, and he managed to get himself fired from it. That is a pretty good indicator of his immaturity and stupidity.

He is a wasted talent. Goodbye Fatlock. Don't let the door hit your fat ass on the way out.

The only thing I'll miss is the smiley. The Fatlock smiley and the Al Davis smiley are pure genius.

KCUnited
08-17-2010, 07:42 AM
I'm crushed like a mixed plate.

Otter
08-17-2010, 07:48 AM

Meanwhile, the Kansas City sports scene will become even more irrelevant without Jason's national presence.

The only thing that determines a city's relevance in its perspective sport is what's in the W-L column and post-season performance. Once those two fall into place columnists will be falling all over themselves to write about the Chiefs, Browns, Bengals or whoever is winning and the current media sweetheart.

Good luck JWhit.

Deberg_1990
08-17-2010, 07:53 AM
Well this sucks......Good luck JWhit, ill continue to read on Foxsports.

FAX
08-17-2010, 08:10 AM

He told the truth ... as he saw it, Mr. DaneMcCloud.

My only beef with Big Beefy was that he turned so many nondescript stories into "racial" issues ... and often stretched like hell to get there, too. Oh, there is that one other beef, too ... the one about how he simply made stuff up ... I can acquire citations should you require them.

Nevertheless, he was the best KC had. You're right about that.

FAX

Bacon Cheeseburger
08-17-2010, 08:19 AM
Eh, I didn't always like or agree with what he said but his columns usually made for some interesting discussions around here.

CaliforniaChief
08-17-2010, 08:29 AM
C'mon JWhit, make an appearance in this thread. We need another HOC thread.

Chiefs4TheWin
08-17-2010, 08:31 AM
To be honest guys, untill I started lurking this place. I've never heard of him. Trust me he doesn't bring national exposure to the Chiefs, Their play on the field does.

B_Ambuehl
08-17-2010, 08:47 AM
He was my favorite writer mainly because he called bullshit when he saw it and usually called it in advance of it becoming common knowledge. I've noticed chiefs fans know they suck but don't like to be told the various facts of such. Whitlock told the raw unadulterated truth about Peeholi, Haley, Herm, and every other suckface usually well in advance of it becoming common knowledge.

I was watching the preseason game saturday night and couldn't ****ing wait to see what Whitlock had to say about the totally unimproved onfield suckage product of the Peeholi's regime.

boogblaster
08-17-2010, 08:54 AM
he will be missed ... bye bye .......

BigChiefFan
08-17-2010, 09:43 AM
It's probably a good thing. His latest offerings, weren't very good, IMO. Too much drama, not enough substance.

Lzen
08-17-2010, 09:48 AM
This thread is a perfect example of the way people viewed him. You either loved him or hated him. There wasn't much in the middle. If anything can be said, its that he usually managed to promote discussion on a topic. Personally, I sometimes agreed with his columns but more often disagreed. But I always respected the fact that he could generate lots of discussion.

gblowfish
08-17-2010, 09:49 AM
I've read every Star Sports columnist since Joe McGuff. I threw the Star from a paper truck all during junior high and high school, and have subscribed since 1975, even when I was in college at Mizzou I got the Star daily. I love the newspaper, and I love journalism.

Fatlock was an enigma. He did write some excellent columns and certainly was true to his own opinions. But he also had a disturbing tendency to make himself the story, or to poke the bear with a stick just because he could.

He had the opportunity to grow professionally. He flamed out in radio. Flamed out in TV. I think for awhile he was trying to do too much all at once. Then after that, he seemed to get lazy and coast. He wouldn't show up at practice, wouldn't attend the games, he'd just mail it in.

I think he sees himself as too big for this town any more. It may have been a money issue with the Star. He was probably their highest paid employee, and just like the Royals, the Star is slashing payroll because of market conditions.

Fatlock might end up back in Indianapolis, or maybe with a big city paper like the Chicago Sun Times or the Washington Post. But I don't think his self promoting will go over too well in a big time market. His kind of self-promotion has a slight stench to it, almost like he's a WWF Wrestler.

I agree with a lot of what was said here previously. I still think Joe Poz is by far the better of the two writers, although Joe Poz and Whitlock offered a good contrast and balance for a long time.

When Fatlock started writing Op-Ed pieces about race and such, you could tell he was bored with just being a sports columnist. Seems like he's never satisfied with his core talent, but doesn't have the chops to do much else.

It'll be interesting to see where he winds up. I don't think he'll ever capture another city's attention like he did here. I think he's had his 15 minutes, and it's a long slide into irrelevance from here.

notorious
08-17-2010, 09:54 AM
In Whitlocks defense, it would be difficult to write articles about a horrific team.

penchief
08-17-2010, 09:55 AM
This thread is a perfect example of the way people viewed him. You either loved him or hated him. There wasn't much in the middle. If anything can be said, its that he usually managed to promote discussion on a topic. Personally, I sometimes agreed with his columns but more often disagreed. But I always respected the fact that he could generate lots of discussion.

Anyone can start controversy. There's no special talent required to stir shit. The fact that shit-stirring became his calling card only exposed him for the petty hack he was. He wasn't nearly as talented as some of you claim. If he were, he would have consistently written good articles without resorting to the juvenile tactics that compelled many of us to comment on his unprofessionalism. He become a one-trick pony which is hardly the sign of someone who is uber-talented.

'Hamas' Jenkins
08-17-2010, 10:02 AM
He was my favorite writer mainly because he called bullshit when he saw it and usually called it in advance of it becoming common knowledge. I've noticed chiefs fans know they suck but don't like to be told the various facts of such. Whitlock told the raw unadulterated truth about Peeholi, Haley, Herm, and every other suckface usually well in advance of it becoming common knowledge.

I was watching the preseason game saturday night and couldn't ****ing wait to see what Whitlock had to say about the totally unimproved onfield suckage product of the Peeholi's regime.

This.

He was the anti-homer and he swung a big axe. Now, we have nothing but ball-washers and hacks who cover this team

CaliforniaChief
08-17-2010, 10:04 AM
He definitely had his positives, as has been mentioned. Like all of us, he had his weaknesses as well. And I think his own ego and desire to be part of the story became a stumbling block for him. That and his incessant need to invent names for people.

I do wish him well, though.

notorious
08-17-2010, 10:08 AM
Whitlock wrote a lot of articles that offended the TrueFan.

Truefans will now get their doses of Chiefs' fluff without interuption.

It is the sports media's job to hammer on a team if they don't get the job done. Whitlock was one of the few that did his job (even if it was between racial articles).

dirk digler
08-17-2010, 10:14 AM
I've read every Star Sports columnist since Joe McGuff. I threw the Star from a paper truck all during junior high and high school, and have subscribed since 1975, even when I was in college at Mizzou I got the Star daily. I love the newspaper, and I love journalism.

Fatlock was an enigma. He did write some excellent columns and certainly was true to his own opinions. But he also had a disturbing tendency to make himself the story, or to poke the bear with a stick just because he could.

He had the opportunity to grow professionally. He flamed out in radio. Flamed out in TV. I think for awhile he was trying to do too much all at once. Then after that, he seemed to get lazy and coast. He wouldn't show up at practice, wouldn't attend the games, he'd just mail it in.

I think he sees himself as too big for this town any more. It may have been a money issue with the Star. He was probably their highest paid employee, and just like the Royals, the Star is slashing payroll because of market conditions.

Fatlock might end up back in Indianapolis, or maybe with a big city paper like the Chicago Sun Times or the Washington Post. But I don't think his self promoting will go over too well in a big time market. His kind of self-promotion has a slight stench to it, almost like he's a WWF Wrestler.

I agree with a lot of what was said here previously. I still think Joe Poz is by far the better of the two writers, although Joe Poz and Whitlock offered a good contrast and balance for a long time.

When Fatlock started writing Op-Ed pieces about race and such, you could tell he was bored with just being a sports columnist. Seems like he's never satisfied with his core talent, but doesn't have the chops to do much else.

It'll be interesting to see where he winds up. I don't think he'll ever capture another city's attention like he did here. I think he's had his 15 minutes, and it's a long slide into irrelevance from here.

Spot on george. And from what little information is out there it was all about money.

Insiders say Whitlock and the Star are at a contract impasse.
That he took a paycheck hit sometime in the past two years of financial Armageddon at the newspaper, from around $150,000 to $160,000 a year down to $125,000.

Deberg_1990
08-17-2010, 10:20 AM
I respect the fact that he never seemed to care about making friends and wrote it like he saw it.

He didnt care who he pissed off, Carl Peterson, ESPN, Mike Lupica, Al and Jessie, Oprah, the local neighbor boy.......if they needed to be called out, he called them out.

Coach
08-17-2010, 10:23 AM

Have they been ever revelent?

dtebbe
08-17-2010, 10:25 AM
LOL he looks stoned...

http://media.kansascity.com/smedia/2010/08/16/21/Jason_Whitlock_081710.embedded.prod_affiliate.81.jpg

keg in kc
08-17-2010, 10:47 AM
I don't think I would have even noticed he was gone if somebody hadn't mentioned it to me.

Guy clearly had some talent, but I always thought his ego and his tendency towards unprofessional behavior would get in the way of his newspaper future (if such a thing exists in this day) the way it seemed to with both of his radio gigs. Beyond that, with him, unfortunately, I've always seen something that I believe has become rampant throughout sports journalism today. Radio personalities, print personalities, TV personalities, whatever the case may be, there seems to be a growing belief that they're all somehow bigger than the events and people they cover.

Pants
08-17-2010, 10:53 AM
I'll miss the exposure, but I won't miss the man. For every article that was good, there were 4 that were not. Plus, he liked to inject race into everything, whether there was good cause or not.

So, oh well.

Yeap. Pretty much.

notorious
08-17-2010, 10:56 AM
One of his biggest knocks was that he chose to slum it with us on Chiefsplanet from time to time.

That alone should destroy any crediblitiy that he has, and it shows a glaring lack in judgement.

:)

the Talking Can
08-17-2010, 11:05 AM
has he ever had a job that he didn't leave on bad terms?

radio?
espn?
star?

Bearcat
08-17-2010, 11:13 AM

Not sure about the truth part, and he was mostly controversial just to be controversial... it wasn't the type of controversy that left me thinking, "damn, that is a big issue."

Yeah, he sold papers and got people talking, and that's good for the KC Star in the same way TMZ is relevant, and for the same reason ESPN will cover the same stories about Vick and Favre and locker room drama 24/7 and run them into the ground... the masses can't turn away.

For the rest of us who actually don't care enough to turn on ESPN anymore for those stories or read Whitlock so we can trip over our first born getting to the internet to complain.... meh.

Brainiac
08-17-2010, 11:29 AM
I've read every Star Sports columnist since Joe McGuff.
So did I. It's kind of sad that McGuff is gone and the best the Star has had to offer is Whitlock, isn't it?

gblowfish
08-17-2010, 11:45 AM
So did I. It's kind of sad that McGuff is gone and the best the Star has had to offer is Whitlock, isn't it?

Below is the Wiki info on Joe McGuff. The guy is in the sportswriter's wing of the basehall HOF. He was also the editor of the entire KC Star newspaper at the end of his KC Star career. Great man, and certainly JWhit couldn't carry his typewriter:

Joseph T. McGuff (August 15, 1926 – February 4, 2006) was an American journalist, author, and newspaper editor.

Born in Tulsa, Oklahoma, he attended Marquette University and served briefly in the United States Army before being discharged due to asthma. After first working for the Tulsa World, he joined the staff of The Kansas City Star in 1948. He became sports editor in 1966 and was named editor of the Star in 1986.

After the Kansas City Athletics departed for Oakland, California at the close of the 1967 season, McGuff played a major role in ensuring that Kansas City would gain a new franchise – the Kansas City Royals – in the 1969 expansion. He was named to the writers' wing of the Baseball Hall of Fame in 1985, receiving the J. G. Taylor Spink Award. He served as president of the Associated Press Sports Editors and also the Baseball Writers Association of America.

Named as Missouri's outstanding sportswriter five times by the National Association of Sportscasters and Sportswriters, he was chosen to throw out the first ball for the seventh game of the 1985 World Series between the Kansas City Royals and the St. Louis Cardinals. He was also the author of Why Me? Why Not Joe McGuff?.

A longtime civic leader, McGuff was among the lay Catholics who served on an independent review board in the 1990s to investigate allegations of sexual abuse in the Diocese of Kansas City-St. Joseph, with McGuff acting as board chairman. He also was a voter for the Baseball Hall of Fame

McGuff was diagnosed with amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (Lou Gehrig's disease) in 1999. A resident of Prairie Village, Kansas, he died there at age 79, survived by his wife Kay and six children. There is a legend that on his last days he dictated his Hall of Fame vote to his wife.[citation needed]

In 2006, McGuff was honored by the Associated Press Sports Editors, who awarded him the Red Smith Award, which is America’s most prestigious sports writing honor.

Simply Red
08-17-2010, 11:46 AM
bring him in for a look, Scott.

Just Passin' By
08-17-2010, 11:55 AM
Signing to play NT for the Chiefs?

notorious
08-17-2010, 12:14 PM
Signing to play NT for the Chiefs?

And there we have it.

Coach
08-17-2010, 12:18 PM
Or at least a guard.
Posted via Mobile Device

penchief
08-17-2010, 01:30 PM
This.

He was the anti-homer and he swung a big axe. Now, we have nothing but ball-washers and hacks who cover this team

You can be an anti-homer without being vindictive, petty, and childish. His columns were increasingly unprofessional.

WilliamTheIrish
08-17-2010, 04:07 PM
For all you folks that pine for the man, remember this: He was a quitter. For several years in private he whined that KK had the PM drive time on 810 and he was relegated to an AM time slot.

He walked away from 810 with Maas and Grunhard into the drive time slot on 610. He was promptly killed in the ratings and then, on air no less, walked out.

He's a quitter. Nothing more. And a new start for him is probably long overdue. I wish him well. But I think he'll flounder for a few more years until he realizes his time as relevant writer is finite and then maybe he'll put more effort into his career.

Adieu JW.

WilliamTheIrish
08-17-2010, 04:19 PM

George, we are cut from the same cloth. I threw the paper in Topeka, when they The Kansas City Star was the afternoon paper. (Or was the KC Times the PM edition) for 6 years. 1971-76.

Joe McGuff was the best writer in the history of that sports department. By a wide margin. I also enjoyed Tracey Ringolsby when he covered the early 80's Royals beat.

siberian khatru
08-17-2010, 04:30 PM
George, we are cut from the same cloth. I threw the paper in Topeka, when they The Kansas City Star was the afternoon paper. (Or was the KC Times the PM edition) for 6 years. 1971-76.

Joe McGuff was the best writer in the history of that sports department. By a wide margin. I also enjoyed Tracey Ringolsby when he covered the early 80's Royals beat.

The Times was the morning paper. RIP. Always liked it better than the Star.

I loved Ringolsby too. I moved back to MO my senior year of high school in July 83. Ringolsby came to KC that August and covered the Royals for three years, so I was fortunate to read him regularly in those pre-Internet days.

I liked Gosselin when he covered the Chiefs, too.

Deberg_1990
08-17-2010, 04:37 PM
Its funny to think back now on the pre-internet/pre sports talk radio era. Before every news item became "instant"

Valiant
08-17-2010, 04:38 PM
He was a very good columnist, and The Star's sports section is now officially irrelevant.

"Now that's a column I agree with!"/CP, after every ****ing JWhit column

Well it is irrelevant because KC sports team suck right now..

Whitless had about a 1/75 quality article ratio.. Maybe a little higher if you consider his racebaiting articles..

siberian khatru
08-17-2010, 04:40 PM
Its funny to think back now on the pre-internet/pre sports talk radio era. Before every news item became "instant"

I remember when ESPN was a must-watch and wasn't full of douchebags.

Valiant
08-17-2010, 04:42 PM
LOL he looks stoned...

http://media.kansascity.com/smedia/2010/08/16/21/Jason_Whitlock_081710.embedded.prod_affiliate.81.jpg

Lol, I cant believe I forgot this.. He was eating at Hooters in OP couple months back.. Came in all big and bad, chest puffed out.. None of the ladies knew who he was and after he told them they still did not care.. It was priceless..

Deberg_1990
08-17-2010, 04:47 PM
I remember when ESPN was a must-watch and wasn't full of douchebags.

heh, yea same.....ESPN is more Entertainment Tonight than actual legit sports programming these days.

teedubya
08-17-2010, 04:50 PM
150k a year? Good luck replacing that income, Jason. In this newspaper economy... lol.

Brainiac
08-17-2010, 05:08 PM
Lol, I cant believe I forgot this.. He was eating at Hooters in OP couple months back.. Came in all big and bad, chest puffed out.. None of the ladies knew who he was and after he told them they still did not care.. It was priceless..
That's hilarious! It's too bad nobody captured that and put it on YouTube.

patteeu
08-17-2010, 06:10 PM
For all you folks that pine for the man, remember this: He was a quitter. For several years in private he whined that KK had the PM drive time on 810 and he was relegated to an AM time slot.

He walked away from 810 with Maas and Grunhard into the drive time slot on 610. He was promptly killed in the ratings and then, on air no less, walked out.

He's a quitter. Nothing more. And a new start for him is probably long overdue. I wish him well. But I think he'll flounder for a few more years until he realizes his time as relevant writer is finite and then maybe he'll put more effort into his career.

Adieu JW.

Maybe so, but he was the best sports talk personality this city has ever had. He wasn't a solo artist though. He needed to be paired with the right straight man.

Reerun_KC
08-17-2010, 06:15 PM
ROFL

How funny!

KCDC
08-17-2010, 06:37 PM
JWhit had his faults. He was lazy at times, and unfair at others. Yet, he was entertaining and was the proverbial pebble in the shoe of the Chiefs front office. We needed that.

I share concerns that Teicher and Babb are just not worth reading. I see better analysis and reporting here and on Arrowhead Pride.

Someone needs to talk to Adam and Kent and teach them a few things about reporting. Here's my short list:

1) Any article entitled "[insert player name] is Hoping for a Big Year," "Haley Expects [insert player name] to Step Up this Season," "Pioli is Patient." or anything like it is a complete waste of time and eyeballs.

2) When you are at a press conference, ask a probing question for a change -- something that gives insight into a coach's game plan.

3) If the blogs are scooping you, you aren't earning your salary.

4) Two sentence descriptions of incoming or outgoing players is not useful. Get off your butts and report what their strengths and weaknesses in college were (or on another team), find out what didn't work out for them, and speculate on future moves as a result (informed by someone in the know hopefully).

5) Get off your butts and interview Page and his brother and find out the real story. Don't stop there, talk to the Lions, other agents, other GMs, and such to learn what is happening and what is likely to happen. Interviewing two GMs who are quoted as saying "they'd be lucky to get a 5th rounder for him" is even something interesting to readers that others haven't reported.

6) The successful reporters develop sources outside the team (agents, other teams, NFL officials, union folks, etc) that actually provide nuggets every once in a while. Bloggers have a hard time making these contacts, but a sports reporter from a reputable newspaper can do these things. Go do it.

In the meantime, hire Go Chiefs as a reporter and if they (the Star) want a bomb-thrower, hire Hamas to be your guest columist. I'm sure he'll tone down his swearing to be published in a family newspaper like the Star, maybe just once. ;)

KCBOSS1
08-17-2010, 07:16 PM
I liked some of his articles....hated some of them. I thought he seemed arrogant and all-knowing a lot, chiming into junk he had no business talking about. I disagreed with him about a lot of sports stuff, but when he would start his political expertise BS, I just wanted to tell him, "Jason, dude, stay with sports". I wrote him about it, but I guess he just didn't realize how valuable my opinion is.

gblowfish
08-17-2010, 07:50 PM
People who will miss Fatlock the most:

Diamond Joe's
Gates & Sons BBQ
Hooters
Bazooka's Showgirls
Jack Stack
Krispy Kreme
Pure Lounge
Stroud's
Johnson County Asian Massage
Merry Maids
Jeff George Fan Club

His next gig?
Taking over for that fat bastard on "Man Vs. Food".

googlegoogle
08-17-2010, 07:58 PM
does whitlock go to diamond joes a lot?

wazu
08-17-2010, 09:24 PM
The final nail in KC Star's coffin. Very disappointing. Whitlock was awesome. A fearless and thought-provoking writer who rarely disappointed. And although there is a surprising number of haters, the truth is that 90% of the people who follow the Chiefs in this town go right to his columns the day after a game. He made people think. Now he'll make people in some other town with more senior citizens (a.k.a. newspaper subscribers) think.

Count Zarth
08-17-2010, 09:30 PM
I am just reflecting on this and I'm realizing I'm really going to miss that fatass. I always woke up Monday morning and couldn't wait to read what he had written, win or loss (particularly after a loss). He was really very special to me. I often took something he had written and penned indirect rebuttals, which was always entertaining when someone here or at WPI realized what was going on.

Whitlock is one of my idols. This is kinda sad. A light has gone out.

Sure-Oz
08-17-2010, 09:31 PM
Whitlock onto another gig again

Brainiac
08-17-2010, 09:36 PM
Maybe so, but he was the best sports talk personality this city has ever had. He wasn't a solo artist though. He needed to be paired with the right straight man.
He was decent as a personality when he first went on the air. Towards the end, most of his calls went like this:

Whitlock: "OK, next caller. Be quick but don't hurry."

Caller: "Blah blah blah blah blah."

Whitlock (sounding extremely bored): "Fabulous call. OK, next caller. Be quick but don't hurry."

Boon
08-17-2010, 09:50 PM
Good ribbance Fatlock.

notorious
08-17-2010, 09:52 PM
He was decent as a personality when he first went on the air. Towards the end, most of his calls went like this:

Whitlock: "OK, next caller. Be quick but don't hurry."

Caller: "Blah blah blah blah blah."

Whitlock (sounding extremely bored): "Fabulous call. OK, next caller. Be quick but don't hurry."

All that I remember from his show is,"Get it done with the Run!"

2004 LMAO

DeezNutz
08-17-2010, 10:03 PM
All that I remember from his show is,"Get it done with the Run!"

2004 LMAO

In the '03 playoff game his motto was inspired by an old NWA hit, "Smack Yo Colts Up."

Said we were going to do it with our big Willies.

As a columnist, I'll never forget his piece after the Colts loss in '96. Dude offered to buy one-way tickets out of town for Bono and Elliott. Honest, funny, and irreverent.

Count Zarth
08-17-2010, 10:05 PM
Whitlock should publish another book. Just collect his best, most significant Chiefs columns. I'd buy the shit out of it. Hardback.

notorious
08-17-2010, 10:07 PM
Whitlock should publish another book. Just collect his best, most significant Chiefs columns. I'd buy the shit out of it. Hardback.

Be sure to laminate the pages before you do your thing.

Deberg_1990
08-17-2010, 10:17 PM
As a columnist, I'll never forget his piece after the Colts loss in '96. Dude offered to buy one-way tickets out of town for Bono and Elliott. Honest, funny, and irreverent.

yea, thats when i first started to read him or remember him start to rip Carl and Marty. Of course je also coined the Paul "cant" Hackett phrase as well.

dirk digler
08-17-2010, 10:19 PM
Good stuff

http://www.kcconfidential.com/?p=18972#more-18972

So what do I think of Fallen Star Jason Whitlock’s nasty spate of anti-Hearne twittering?

Predictable.

Anybody who knows Whitlock – even a little – knows that for all of his bluff and braggadocio he comes fully equipped with paper thin skin. Newspaper thin.

And he’s got at least 16 years of public meltdowns to show for it. His infamous on-air screaming matches with former 980 KMBZ sports talk host Don Fortune. The antics that got him suspended by the Star at the New England Patriots football game oh so many years ago. His high profile debacles and firings at Entercom and ESPN. Added to however many of his caustic/defensive columns in the Kansas City Star. Even his dramatic falling out with his one-time best buddy, sports muse and occasional ghost writer Greg Hall.

Now Whitlock’s down to lowly me. Read on.

Twitter Numero Uno:
“HChristopher must get paid per fabrication. If this is an indication of what ran in The Star for 16 years, Star owes a lot of apologies.about 2 hours ago (http://twitter.com/WhitlockJason/status/21418661582) via web”

Twitter Numero Dos:
“KC Tweeps only: Hearne Christopher is the dumbest motherphucka on the planet. It’s embarrassing a newspaper employed him. Embarrassing.about 2 hours ago (http://twitter.com/WhitlockJason/status/21418495458) via web”

So how do I feel? Flattered, of course.

In the absence of any straight shooting whatsoever by either Whitlock or the Star, KC Confidential stitched together a quilt of facts, news tips, behind-the-scenes knowledge of the workings of the Star and theories as to what’s been going on these past 12 weeks. That’s what happens in what passes for sports journalism when high profile players silently drop out of sight for extended periods of time during critical time frames.

Did we know for sure or report that Whitlock was making $160,000 and got bumped down to $125,000? Nope. We reported that sources who claimed and appeared to be somewhat close to Whitlock said that.
What’s more, we did a little behind-the-scenes checking with folks no longer at the newspaper who were familiar with W’s salary and they said that figure appeared to be in the ballpark.

Did Star editor Mike Fannin – while still sports editor a few years ago prior to the newspaper’s two-year tailspin – look me in the eye and tell me Whitlock had gone as far as he was going to go salary wise? Allow me to look you in the eye and tell you, yes. That’s exactly what Fannin told me.
Was it widely suspected, and much talked about at the newspaper, that Fannin was engaged in a romance with his second in command in the sports department – the sports editor who is now leaving? Yes. Let’s have a trial over that if somebody cares to and allow me call certain witnesses to address that topic. Fact? No. Widely-believed rumor, definitely. That the office talk now is that the romance is no more and the likely one who ended it is Fannin provides a far more logical explanation of the editor’s departing the paper than fussing over the Whitlock situation.

In the end, my theory is Whitlock turned down what he felt to be a lowball offer from the newspaper, tried to dicker to no or little avail, and after 12 weeks the Star set a take-it-or-leave-it deadline. And he left it.
So how’s the mood at 18th and Grand now that this three-month sports media soap opera has concluded?

“On the bright side, it saves about three positions that can be devoted to actual news gathering,” says one Star staffer. “Four, if you count his expense tab.”

Back to you, Tweety…

Reaper16
08-17-2010, 10:50 PM
Hearne Christopher's "reporting" on this matter is probably 90% bullshit.

'Hamas' Jenkins
08-17-2010, 10:58 PM

Change "probably" to "definitely" and add 10%.

dirk digler
08-17-2010, 11:08 PM

I don't know about most of it but I actually agree with Hearne that it is most likely all about money.

keg in kc
08-18-2010, 02:39 AM
Maybe so, but he was the best sports talk personality this city has ever had. He wasn't a solo artist though. He needed to be paired with the right straight man.That must've been before I moved to town in '99. He was brutal whenever I listened.

penchief
08-18-2010, 05:21 AM
The final nail in KC Star's coffin. Very disappointing. Whitlock was awesome. A fearless and thought-provoking writer who rarely disappointed. And although there is a surprising number of haters, the truth is that 90% of the people who follow the Chiefs in this town go right to his columns the day after a game. He made people think. Now he'll make people in some other town with more senior citizens (a.k.a. newspaper subscribers) think.

I don't think any of us hated the man. I found his schtick very distasteful. He was much more shit-stirrer than he was thought-provoker. Often times there was little or no truth to the shit he was stirring. Instead of thought-provoking columns he pursued personal agendas that deteriorated into pettiness and vindictiveness. I found his behavior to be somewhat dishonest and very unprofessional.

MahiMike
08-18-2010, 08:25 AM
Years ago he was timely. The perfect devil's advocate to the koolAid writing of all the other Star writers (Posnaski included). After Carl left, he didn't know how to change his act. There wasn't much to complain about yet he was still picking fights. That and the silly race card he played too much.

KCrockaholic
08-18-2010, 11:01 AM
So Whitlock is trying to get on with 610 or 810?

810 did everything, said I needed to go 7-10. Bryan Truta is trying to get it done on FM. But I'm comfortable with 610/Nick Wright

patteeu
08-18-2010, 11:10 AM
Translation, please?

dirk digler
08-18-2010, 11:15 AM
“Looks like Explanation will air on 610 from 3 to 6… 810 unwilling to make 8 am to 11 am available. Nick Wright finally gets his interview.”
Jason Whitlock, Twitter

kc rush
08-18-2010, 11:29 AM
“Looks like Explanation will air on 610 from 3 to 6… 810 unwilling to make 8 am to 11 am available. Nick Wright finally gets his interview.”
Jason Whitlock, Twitter

I wonder if they paid for it.

“Jason at some point will tell his story. Perhaps he’ll tell it at Sports Radio 810 but I can’t speak to that.”
Kevin Kietzman, 810 AM

GH: If your head snapped back when you read that comment from KK, I’ll give you time to reset your eyeballs. Whitlock held a summit meeting Tuesday afternoon at a local Gates BBQ and laid out his LeBron-like plan for what he is calling “The Explanation.” He has made a list of demands to those media outlets who want to purchase the sole rights to his explanation for how he became the latest unemployed KC Star writer. I love this move by the big fella. This is the Jason Whitlock I knew – the one who could milk a good story and make a buck off of it.

LINK (http://www.kcconfidential.com/?p=18975#more-18975)

kc rush
08-18-2010, 11:31 AM

I think the term uberdouche was coined for Hearne.

WilliamTheIrish
08-18-2010, 03:38 PM

I thought he was pretty pedestrian. And that's being generous.

WilliamTheIrish
08-18-2010, 03:41 PM
And Hearne Christopher gets under his skin. That's hilarious.

Stewie
08-18-2010, 04:47 PM
JWhit on Nick Wright's show Friday from 3-6pm. I guess 610 got the best BBQ catering deal.

Deberg_1990
08-18-2010, 04:48 PM
JWhit "The Explanation" This Thursday on ESPN5 at 2am Central!

WilliamTheIrish
08-18-2010, 04:50 PM
Whitlock to tell all and "Shake the very foundation" of ..... whatever. LMAO
Whatta fuggin loser

siberian khatru
08-18-2010, 06:19 PM
JWhit "The Explanation" This Thursday on ESPN5 at 2am Central!

Jim Gray: "Jason, burnt ends: Gates or Bryant's?"

Sure-Oz
08-18-2010, 06:23 PM
SSJ had a facebook post saying that they werent going to interview jwhit cause of 'too many demands'

FAX
08-18-2010, 06:30 PM
What is the big, newsworthy deal about Whitlock losing his job? Is this really an Oprah moment?

What could possibly be in the "Explanation" that matters to anyone at this point?

You have no job anymore. It's over. Goodbye and good luck.

FAX

patteeu
08-18-2010, 07:19 PM
I thought he was pretty pedestrian. And that's being generous.

To each their own. Who would you call the best KC radio personality of the last decade or two?

Sully
08-18-2010, 07:54 PM
To each their own. Who would you call the best KC radio personality of the last decade or two?

Petro

Actually, Petro and Enich, together is a great show. It was the first sports radio I ever listened to, and I pine for those days.

edit:

And the old Thursday Night grunhard show. When he didn't have to do a daily show, and just did an hour a week with buddies BSing, it was can't-miss radio, IMO.

Bowser
08-18-2010, 07:57 PM
Jim Gray: "Jason, burnt ends: Gates or Bryant's?"Gray will then launch into how Whitlock is a failure to humanity by giving the wrong restaurant.

Boon
08-18-2010, 09:42 PM

Lenny "The Cool" Dawson!!!!

FTW!

KC Tattoo
08-19-2010, 01:19 AM
Lenny "The Cool" Dawson!!!!

FTW!

With Mitch ! I listen to them while I watch the game.

patteeu
08-19-2010, 01:48 AM
Petro

Actually, Petro and Enich, together is a great show. It was the first sports radio I ever listened to, and I pine for those days.

Yeah, I like Petro too. I agree that his old show with Pete Enich was good, although I'm not sure if it was as good as I remember or if it was just good because it was one of the first decent sports talk shows in the city. Just before they had a show together, there was a show in the mornings (maybe on that same station) called something like "Sunrise sports show"(?) where 2 or 3 guys would read articles from the KC Star sports section and then talk about them. Chad Boeger (co-owner of 810) might have been one of the guys, but I don't really remember.

Nzoner
08-19-2010, 09:11 AM
Jason Whitlock, Twitter

I had drinks with Nick last night and apparently Whitlock gets the first hour all to himself,the 2nd hour is Whitlock and the callers and hour 3 is Nick,Jason and the callers.

WilliamTheIrish
08-19-2010, 12:15 PM

When Kietzman was on 1510 with that entire gang they were outstanding. The move to 810 was a huge score. They have suffered in the last 4 or 5 years or so because they continue to run KK out there. He'd be much better as just KSU/Big 12 segment guy. (That's when I went to Sirius radio.)

It's the same with Jason. He's not really a writer. He had a "bit". It was great in the beginning. But all bits run there course. In the end you have to have some real skill to remain at the top.

Jason (imo of course) just doesn't have that skill.

Dayze
08-19-2010, 02:00 PM
what was that part about JW walking on on 610 while on-air?

Mojo Jojo
08-19-2010, 02:56 PM
When Kietzman was on 1510 with that entire gang they were outstanding. The move to 810 was a huge score. They have suffered in the last 4 or 5 years or so because they continue to run KK out there. He'd be much better as just KSU/Big 12 segment guy. (That's when I went to Sirius radio.)

It's the same with Jason. He's not really a writer. He had a "bit". It was great in the beginning. But all bits run there course. In the end you have to have some real skill to remain at the top.

Jason (imo of course) just doesn't have that skill.

Let's face the facts....
1. KK is an owner from day one....he runs himself out there, and there nothing anyone can do.

2. JW is a good writer..will find a job in a bigger market.

WilliamTheIrish
08-19-2010, 05:00 PM
Let's face the facts....
1. KK is an owner from day one....he runs himself out there, and there nothing anyone can do.

2. JW is a good writer..will find a job in a bigger market.

1)Yea, he's an owner of 810. Big deal. After 15 years he's still crushing the competition. Entercom has tried everything to unseat the guy, including hiring a quitter like Jason Whitlock.

2) He'll probably land on his feet. My guess is he'll be hired in Nick Wright's spot at 610 for one more go at radio. 610 was dumb enough to give him 3 hours of radio to give "The Explanation". Although I'm pretty certain "The Explanation" will be nothing more than excuses as to why the guy is a such quitter. The Star has a legal team also. I'm going to bet they have a non-disclosure agreement in place and Jason won't be giving any real details about anything.

DeezNutz
08-19-2010, 05:05 PM
My guess is he'll be hired in Nick Wright's spot at 610 for one more go at radio.

This is a pretty good guess, IMO. I can't imagine that Wright is too excited about hosting someone who could potentially cost him his job.

teedubya
08-19-2010, 07:03 PM
This is a pretty good guess, IMO. I can't imagine that Wright is too excited about hosting someone who could potentially cost him his job.

Wright would just go to another time slot. People in KC seem to like him well enough.

patteeu
08-19-2010, 07:28 PM
Wright would just go to another time slot. People in KC seem to like him well enough.

I don't think Whitlock will be hired by 610, but if he was, why not a Whitlock/Wright combo? I think Whitlock needs a partner. I'm not sure if their egos are compatible, but I think it's possible they could work together. They have compatible cultural and political tastes, but not so compatible that they wouldn't find room to disagree from time to time when those issues intersect with the sporting world.

dirk digler
08-19-2010, 07:34 PM
I don't think Whitlock will be hired by 610, but if he was, why not a Whitlock/Wright combo? I think Whitlock needs a partner. I'm not sure if their egos are compatible, but I think it's possible they could work together. They have compatible cultural and political tastes, but not so compatible that they wouldn't find room to disagree from time to time when those issues intersect with the sporting world.

Someone would have to really compromise for it to work:

“Jason Whitlock never liked me. Professionally, I respect him. I think the Kansas City Star will be less without him. … I don’t know if there was a more vocal critic of Jason Whitlock in the sports media than me. But there wasn’t another writer at The Star – until Sam Mellinger got his own column – that I read every word he wrote.”
Nick Wright, 610 AM

Count Zarth
08-19-2010, 07:42 PM
Mellinger is terrible.

dirk digler
08-19-2010, 07:51 PM
Mellinger is terrible.

I honestly haven't paid attention to him at all. I never read the paper or read it online.

Reaper16
08-19-2010, 08:13 PM
Mellinger is terrible.
I don't understand why you think so.

Count Zarth
08-19-2010, 08:17 PM
I don't understand why you think so.

He's boring as shit.

Nothing he writes is remotely entertaining. It's cookie cutter shit.

Reaper16
08-19-2010, 08:35 PM
He's boring as shit.

Nothing he writes is remotely entertaining. It's cookie cutter shit.
He doesn't have as distinct a voice as Posnanski or Whitlock, but then Joe and Jason are two of the most distinctive voices in all of sportswriting. But he's never bored me. I enjoy his perspective on things (probably because it is an even-handed version of the smart sports message board guy). Cookie-cutter? I can see that on occasion when he'll do a column about Bowe's drops, say. But I disagree with that charge on the whole.

I don't see how someone who produced a column like the one Sam wrote on Manute Bol before Bol died could be considered terrible:
Manute Bol deserves more recognition for his work in Sudan
(http://www.kansascity.com/2010/05/29/1980177/manute-bol-deserves-more-recognition.html)
By SAM MELLINGER
The Kansas City Star
Related:

The hero is 7 feet 7 inches when he’s standing but for now lies on his back, crammed into a standard hospital bed in Virginia. His name is Manute Bol. You might remember him as the tallest player in NBA history during his 10 seasons.

The story of why he is hooked to tubes in Virginia instead of relaxing at his home in Olathe is inspiring and embarrassing and humbling and depressing, all at the same time.

He knows this story is running today, and wanted to talk, to spread his message. But the pain is too much. Maybe later.

So for now, he lays in that bed and takes more tests and grinds through more pain and wonders when he can get back to doing more good. This is the inspiring and humbling part of his story.

“He’s making progress,” says a friend, Tom Prichard, standing outside Bol’s room. “But he’s got a long way to go.”

Bol is fighting acute kidney failure and a potentially fatal skin disease contracted while trying to help his native Sudan. The skin disease is so bad he couldn’t eat for 11 days. The man who risks his life for others takes on this fight mostly on his own. One of the teams he played for is sending flowers. The NBA playoffs march on.

Bol spent his entire basketball fortune and survived attacks on his life to save and improve lives in and around Sudan. He lost hundreds of family members in an ongoing war but saved or educated at least that many with peacemaking efforts that one author compared to Muhammad Ali.

Ali is a legend, of course, while Bol is at best a cult hero and at worse a freak show. Maybe if Bol was a better player we’d pay more attention. Maybe if he was doing his good deeds closer to our home, instead of his, we’d help him more.

Instead, Bol symbolizes an unfortunate side of our sports obsession and how we measure the worth of those who play. The best athletes get the love, most times regardless of what they do away from sport.

Bol, doing the work of a saint, is largely ignored.

And that is the embarrassing and depressing part of his story.

•••

From the very beginning, Bol’s career had a freak-show quality to it. How could it not? The Guinness Book of World Records recognized him as one of the tallest people in human history.

He could easily touch the rim without jumping, and his inseam measures I-5. To give you an idea, an average American man is roughly eye level with Bol’s bellybutton.

This was always the thing with him. He remains the only player in NBA history to average more blocks than points. In Seattle, room 2064 at the Holiday Inn kept an 8-foot bed for when he played the Sonics. Woody Allen joked that Bol was so skinny his teams saved money on travel by just faxing him from city to city.

Bol had precious little experience playing organized ball, but taught himself a three-pointer to keep opponents honest. There is a bit of Bol’s personality in his preference to stay outside. He’s always been gentle and kind, sometimes to his own detriment. It’s been like that off the court, too.

When the NBA no longer wanted him, he rode coach and stayed in Travelodges for a season in the CBA. Saying the travel “is killing me,” he quit basketball and allowed himself to be a bit of a circus show. Anything to generate money and attention for the tragedies in Sudan.

He made appearances as the world’s tallest jockey (even though he’d never ridden a horse) and hockey player (even though he couldn’t skate). He even boxed Refrigerator Perry on TV, all of it to help his people back home.

“There’s no way I can put the money in my pocket while my people are getting beat up,” he once said. “Whatever I can do to help my people I will do. I feel whatever I make here I make for my people.”

•••

The Heat once fined Bol $25,000. He missed two exhibition games, so the fine wasn’t out of line, except this: he was in Washington D.C. for Congress-sponsored peace talks between rebel leaders from Sudan.

The team donated the money to Bol’s charity, but he was still annoyed, hinting out loud that trying to bring peace to a war-torn country might be a decent excuse for missing a couple preseason games.

You could do worse than that for an anecdote of Bol’s place in this world. According to reports, he made nearly $6 million in his career, and, aside from a few American comforts, spent it all trying to save lives and educate children back home. He has given so much and received little in comparison.

He was once lured back to his home country with the promise of a cabinet post, only to find out he would be required to convert to Islam. When he refused, he was stranded for nearly five years. His trust and good intentions have been abused so many times.

Even while playing, he went into war zones to help the Lost Boys and other refugees. Sometimes, those visits were interrupted by bombings from warlords who viewed Bol as a threat.

His family was wiped out by Darfurians, but when that country became victims, Bol was one of the first Sudanese to speak out in support. A Christian, he told his people that extremists were the enemy, not Muslims.

•••

Bol lives a modest lifestyle now, his expenses paid either with speaking fees or money left over from a few fundraisers put on by former teammates, including Chris Mullin.

He needed every penny of it six years ago, when he nearly died from a car accident. He needs it now, too, to fight diseases contracted while trying to help others. He was in Sudan to help build a school, and extended his stay after the government asked him to make appearances to fight election corruption.

It’s one more time he risked his life to help his people. This one almost killed him. If he comes out of this healthy, a mountain of medical expenses await along with an $18,000 bill to finish three classrooms for 150 children in Sudan.

There are any number of theories why he hasn’t been able to finish those classrooms with the equivalent of NBA tip money. Some say the league’s “NBA Cares” program is hesitant to do much in such a dangerous part of the world. Maybe not enough people know about Bol’s efforts. Maybe Bol just doesn’t have the right connections.

“There’s guys who give away turkeys in the ‘hood and get more props than this guy building schools in the Sudan,” says Steve Perry, author of “Man Up!” and an expert on social issues. “I’ve had more shine on TV than he has, and what this guy is doing is way more important.”

•••

The uncomfortable part of this is that we’ll appreciate Bol, 47, more when he’s gone, whenever that comes. He is expected to come out of the hospital in Virginia fine enough, but it’s hard not to notice that he’s already lived longer than most of the others on Guinness’ list of the world’s tallest people.

This is how it often goes, of course. A man’s life is only fully inventoried after it’s over. Nobody gets a eulogy until their funeral. This is the concern of Perry and other friends.

Bol can’t save his country on his own, certainly not without the greater stature or fortune that would’ve come with a more successful basketball career. He needs help, lots of it, and the irony is that it may take his death to get that help.

Maybe then, old friends with more resources and fame will continue a cause more important than anything they did on the basketball court.

Al Bundy
08-19-2010, 08:46 PM
He doesn't have as distinct a voice as Posnanski or Whitlock, but then Joe and Jason are two of the most distinctive voices in all of sportswriting. But he's never bored me. I enjoy his perspective on things (probably because it is an even-handed version of the smart sports message board guy). Cookie-cutter? I can see that on occasion when he'll do a column about Bowe's drops, say. But I disagree with that charge on the whole.

I don't see how someone who produced a column like the one Sam wrote on Manute Bol before Bol died could be considered terrible:

Because it's GoChiefs and he is one step above a Bronco's fan in assclownism.

Count Zarth
08-19-2010, 09:01 PM
I don't really give a shit what Sam Mellinger has to say about Manute Bol.

If he can't provide interesting Chiefs commentary he's about as useful as tits on a boar.

Reaper16
08-19-2010, 09:09 PM
I don't really give a shit what Sam Mellinger has to say about Manute Bol.

If he can't provide interesting Chiefs commentary he's about as useful as tits on a boar.
Given the Star's audience and Teicher & Babb's reporting, how is the following quote not interesting commentary?
The Chiefs aren’t short on story lines, even in the preseason. Is Matt Cassel worth $63 million? Can Dwayne Bowe act like a grownup? Can Jamaal Charles do it again? Just how bad is the front seven?

Berry may be as important as any of them, and not just so Pioli doesn’t miss on another high first-round pick. For all the talk about Cassel not having much to work with, the Chiefs gave up at least 24 points in all but five games last season. Three opponents scored more than 40, and three others scored at least 34.

The returning defensive backs were nearly unplayable, and the defense lacked much leadership other than the aging Mike Vrabel. Berry changes all of it, enough that smart and experienced football people don’t limit his potential impact in the same ways they do other safeties.

Dexter McCluster is emerging as a fan favorite. Crowds at training camp buzz whenever he touches the ball. But nobody generates as much optimism as Berry. That’s a different thing, and where the Chiefs have been, a much more important thing.

He's clearly comfortable with bringing up problematic questions. He's not a sugar-coater. He's also not a dire pessimist. His tempered realism is interesting. To me anyway.

Dylan
08-19-2010, 10:21 PM
KCSP in Kansas City from 3 to 6 p.m. CST. He had a few demands, of course. In an email, Wright tells us:

He wanted 1 hour for himself to explain why he left The Star and whatever else is on his mind. Then I will interview him for an hour, then we will take phone calls for an hour. He also wanted the whole thing broadcast on TV (we secured a local sports station, Metro Sports for this), and then the best part....

We have to cater it with Gates Barbecue, his favorite Kansas City spot.

http://deadspin.com/5617071/jason-whitlock-will-discuss-his-kc-star-departure-in-a-catered-three+hour-multiplatform-extravaganza

Count Zarth
08-19-2010, 10:27 PM
Given the Star's audience and Teicher & Babb's reporting, how is the following quote not interesting commentary?

That quote was boring as hell. I can find similar tripe on a dozen blogs.

Reaper16
08-19-2010, 10:46 PM
That quote was boring as hell. I can find similar tripe on a dozen blogs.
Ignoring the [boring] notion that there is something wrong with tripe, you do have a point re: Mellinger's style being fairly close to a blogger's style. Your post then is derisive of blogs, but that's another matter.

You've already said that you don't care about Manute Bol. You probably don't care that Sam has done nice work with Royals columns either. If your suspect criteria for a columnist's worth is limited to Chiefs coverage then you should probably wait until Sam's had a chance to write columns during a Chiefs regular season before making a firm judgment on him.

Count Zarth
08-19-2010, 10:47 PM
I read his crap after the preseason game the other night. It was a big yawner. So many angles he could have taken and he just laid a big pile of generic shit at our feet.

Nobody will ever replace Whitlock.

If anything, Babb should be moving into his spot. He's written some interesting op-eds on the KC Star blog.

If your suspect criteria for a columnist's worth is limited to Chiefs coverage

It's not "suspect." That's all I fucking care about. I didn't give a crap when JoPo or Whitlock wrote about baseball, either.

Reaper16
08-19-2010, 10:57 PM
I read his crap after the preseason game the other night. It was a big yawner. So many angles he could have taken and he just laid a big pile of generic shit at our feet.

Nobody will ever replace Whitlock.

If anything, Babb should be moving into his spot. He's written some interesting op-eds on the KC Star blog.

It's not "suspect." That's all I fucking care about. I didn't give a crap when JoPo or Whitlock wrote about baseball, either.
Mellinger is more of a Posnanski replacement anyway. But that preseason game column seemed good to me. It is no Whitlock column, but that doesn't need to be the standard. I guess I'm just excited when someone gets sentences like "Cassel is still a relatively inexperienced quarterback working toward 'adequate'" into print. Mellinger says a lot while retaining an even temper. He's less audacious that Whitlock but also less of a homer than Posnanski.

buddha
08-20-2010, 12:29 AM
Whitlock was at his best when he didn't have to rely on pesky facts to support his columns. He was at his worst when he didn't bother to pick up the phone and rip players for being overrated when they happened to be playing with fairly significant injuries (he referred to Corby Jones in that manner when Jones was playing on one leg toward the end of his career at Missouri). What should have been called heroic, was dubbed, "overrated."

Whitlock had an unnatural love affair with Jeff George that transcended all eras. I know the connection there, but it still was far too sloppy to be a straight relationship.

Good luck wherever he lands, but was he really that talented? Perhaps he seemed talented because the Star is so lacking in good writers, especially on the Sports side.

nicelife2010
08-20-2010, 01:29 AM
u might be right

Mr. Laz
08-20-2010, 11:22 AM
Jason Whitlock Gets Big Contract At FOX (http://www.arrowheadpride.com/2010/8/20/1633459/jason-whitlock-gets-big-contract)

http://cdn0.sbnation.com/profile_images/240996/headshot_tiny.jpg by Joel Thorman (http://www.sbnation.com/users/Joel%20Thorman) on Aug 20, 2010 9:17 AM PDT (http://www.arrowheadpride.com/2010/8/20/1633459/jason-whitlock-gets-big-contract) http://cdn1.sbnation.com/images/icons/comment.v8c9bafb.png 47 comments
I started this blogging thing a couple years ago with very little money for a long time. After hearing what Jason Whitlock is getting paid at FOX, I think I'll continue in the world of sports writing.
I've learned that Whitlock's deal with FOX will pay him $2.1 million over three years.
That $700,000 per year average is a big jump from his rumored salary of $150,000-$200,000 at the Kansas City Star.
In the world of sports writers, Whitlock is a big free agent signing and FOX was smart to lock him up. Other media outlets inquired about his availability this week but his deal with FOX already far along.
Whitlock will be filing columns for FOXSports.com more often and will likely expand, in some fashion, to FOX's focus on online video content. There's also a possibility for radio.
Whitlock is rumored to have already picked out a place to live in Los Angeles though it's unclear if that move will be permanent.
Kansas City, for better or worse, won't be the same without Whitlock.
What's next for Whitlock? For starters, 'The Explanation (http://kansascity.sbnation.com/2010/8/19/1631438/jason-whitlock-leaves-kansas-city-star-radio-show)' at 3:00 p.m. this afternoon on 610 Sports.

|Zach|
08-20-2010, 11:24 AM
Jason Whitlock Gets Big Contract At FOX (http://www.arrowheadpride.com/2010/8/20/1633459/jason-whitlock-gets-big-contract)

http://cdn0.sbnation.com/profile_images/240996/headshot_tiny.jpg by Joel Thorman (http://www.sbnation.com/users/Joel%20Thorman) on Aug 20, 2010 9:17 AM PDT (http://www.arrowheadpride.com/2010/8/20/1633459/jason-whitlock-gets-big-contract) http://cdn1.sbnation.com/images/icons/comment.v8c9bafb.png 47 comments
I started this blogging thing a couple years ago with very little money for a long time. After hearing what Jason Whitlock is getting paid at FOX, I think I'll continue in the world of sports writing.
I've learned that Whitlock's deal with FOX will pay him $2.1 million over three years.
That $700,000 per year average is a big jump from his rumored salary of $150,000-$200,000 at the Kansas City Star.
In the world of sports writers, Whitlock is a big free agent signing and FOX was smart to lock him up. Other media outlets inquired about his availability this week but his deal with FOX already far along.
Whitlock will be filing columns for FOXSports.com more often and will likely expand, in some fashion, to FOX's focus on online video content. There's also a possibility for radio.
Whitlock is rumored to have already picked out a place to live in Los Angeles though it's unclear if that move will be permanent.
What's next for Whitlock? For starters, 'The Explanation (http://kansascity.sbnation.com/2010/8/19/1631438/jason-whitlock-leaves-kansas-city-star-radio-show)' at 3:00 p.m. this afternoon on 610 Sports.

Good for Jason....deserved.

bobbything
08-20-2010, 11:52 AM
What is the big, newsworthy deal about Whitlock losing his job? Is this really an Oprah moment?

What could possibly be in the "Explanation" that matters to anyone at this point?

You have no job anymore. It's over. Goodbye and good luck.

FAX
My thoughts exactly. However, Whitlock thinks quite highly of himself, and that he can fart and everyone will fight to catch the first whiff. The reality is that the only people that really care about all this are people in the industry. It's one big pissing contest to stroke the egos of the people who think they're more important than they really are.

Edit: Petro said it best the other day...(paraphrasing) "When every single job you've had you've left under duress, or simply bad terms, don't you have to stop and look in the mirror?" He also said something to the effect of, not everyone you work for has time to get it out for you.

His departure from 810, 610, and ESPN were all on bad terms. While the problems with each employer may be different from place to place, one thing I guarantee is constant with him...he's a gigantic douche.

dirk digler
08-20-2010, 02:03 PM
Jason is on now

Farzin
08-20-2010, 02:07 PM
Is he about to cry?

dirk digler
08-20-2010, 02:08 PM
Wow. Next to serving in the military being a journalist is the second best way to serve the country. What a dumbass.

dirk digler
08-20-2010, 02:08 PM
He is crying what a baby

Farzin
08-20-2010, 02:09 PM
Wow. Next to serving in the military being a journalist is the second best way to serve the country. What a dumbass.

ROFL I thought the same thing.

the Talking Can
08-20-2010, 02:10 PM
jesus, he really thinks he's important

"i love democracy"

something about the military, something about the kkk

people get fired every damn day....he's a legend in his own mind

DeezNutz
08-20-2010, 02:11 PM

I don't think that's particularly dumb. Not at all, actually.

A free press is pivotal for a democracy to function.

|Zach|
08-20-2010, 02:11 PM

Yes.

sedated
08-20-2010, 02:12 PM

that is somewhat correct, when you consider the essence of journalism and its purpose in democracy (just take a look at North Korea for an illustration of what society can be without freedom of the press).

But I’m not sure sports columnists fall into the “hero” category.

KCUnited
08-20-2010, 02:13 PM
sssssssshhhhhhhiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiitttttttttttttt

the Talking Can
08-20-2010, 02:14 PM

journalists, sure

columnists....naw.....

is there some reporting he's ever done to uncover a story important to the community he lives in?

Brainiac
08-20-2010, 02:14 PM
Jason is on now
I'm listening here at work, but I don't know if I can get through an hour-long monologue by Whitlock.

dirk digler
08-20-2010, 02:15 PM

Being a sports columnist is key to our democracy LMAO

I think I have heard it all now.

Brock
I kind of doubt Jason has the audience to justify that salary.

DeezNutz
journalists, sure

columnists....naw.....

is there some reporting he's ever done to uncover a story important to the community he lives in?

I think opinionated journalism has a critical role, too. Of course, I understand that many don't put Whitlock in the "journalism" category. I disagree with this stance, but that's ok.

Brainiac

$2.1 Million over 3 years????

I don't get it. I'll admit that I'm jealous as hell, but that's not why I don't get it.

DeezNutz
08-20-2010, 02:16 PM
Being a sports columnist is key to our democracy LMAO

I think I have heard it all now.

A free press. And all that this entails.

No one said what you did in your first sentence. That's much too reductive.

CaliforniaChief
08-20-2010, 02:17 PM
$2.1 Million over 3 years????

I don't get it. I'll admit that I'm jealous as hell, but that's not why I don't get it.

Hey, think what we might...that's the beauty of free market economics. If someone will pay him that, then God bless 'em.

the Talking Can
08-20-2010, 02:20 PM
I think opinionated journalism has a critical role, too. Of course, I understand that many don't put Whitlock in the "journalism" category. I disagree with this stance, but that's ok.

he's a shitty writer with interesting opinions...

he's not a journalist crusading for freedom....

he has a quite limited range of interests and opinions....

he's not even a Hitchens, in terms of intellect or writing ability...i honestly have no idea why people think so much a witty gossip columnist

Brainiac
08-20-2010, 02:20 PM
Hey, think what we might...that's the beauty of free market economics. If someone will pay him that, then God bless 'em.
Agreed. More power to him.

dirk digler
08-20-2010, 02:21 PM
Whitlock talking about the problems he has with his editors. Everybody has problems with their boss who gives a shit?

Short Leash Hootie
08-20-2010, 02:21 PM
you know what cracks me up?

Whitlock was making $150K with the Star...uber famous, long tenured, etc. etc. etc.

yet Dane has stated that Rich Gannon makes $2+M per season being on a B squad analyst team on CBS every Sunday...

I would like to see where Dane pulled those numbers...

DeezNutz
08-20-2010, 02:22 PM
he's not a journalist crusading for freedom....

he has a quite limited range of interests and opinions....

True, but this is accurate for sports more generally.

Farzin
08-20-2010, 02:22 PM
Carl Peterson had the police take out Whitlock once. LOL

the Talking Can
08-20-2010, 02:23 PM
what a cry baby....good lord

he's going to whine for 3 hours

no wonder he's been fired from every job he's ever had

|Zach|
08-20-2010, 02:23 PM
Whitlock talking about the problems he has with his editors. Everybody has problems with their boss who gives a shit?

Probably the people following every word and posting "who gives a shit" over and over. ROFL

Just a guess though...

the Talking Can
08-20-2010, 02:24 PM
love the 8th time he compares himself to Royko...that's rich

dirk digler
08-20-2010, 02:26 PM
Probably the people following every word and posting "who gives a shit" over and over. ROFL

Just a guess though...

Be quiet Zach :harumph:

I was just expecting something better than my boss's are mean. That is like saying water is wet.

DeezNutz
08-20-2010, 02:28 PM
Damnit, Carl!!!

Reaper16
http://paladinillumination.files.wordpress.com/2010/07/haters_gonna_hate.gif

|Zach|
http://paladinillumination.files.wordpress.com/2010/07/haters_gonna_hate.gif

Seriously.

Farzin
Why is there an on-going clicking sound?

dirk digler
08-20-2010, 02:32 PM
He is making it sound like he didn't want to take KK's job which is BS. That is why he moved to 610 to go up against him.

gblowfish
Does he really need an hour to explain all this? All these people here in town that are out of work, and he's bitching about being not being paid enough. Yikes.

Farzin
Is anyone listening from the radio? Usually, radio stations have one or two commercials by now. Is this going three hours non-stop?

the Talking Can
08-20-2010, 02:34 PM
man, he's such a martyr...

amazing that he's not responsible for a single thing that has happened in his life

he's already thrown 1,256 people under the bus and we're only 30 minutes in

gblowfish
If he's a "radio professional" he should quit tapping that pen against the counter. Either that, or he's swizzling the stick in his drink. Not sure which, but it's annoying.

Mr. Arrowhead
my god his ego is as big as Lebrons

Reaper16
08-20-2010, 02:35 PM
If he's a "radio professional" he should quit tapping that pen against the counter. Either that, or he's swizzling the stick in his drink. Not sure which, but it's annoying.
Rib bones dropping to the floor.

DeezNutz
08-20-2010, 02:36 PM
Rib bones dropping to the floor.

LMAO

CaliforniaChief
08-20-2010, 02:36 PM
Is this his Steven Slater impersonation? I can't believe I'm listening to this shit. Yet I can't look away. The genius of Whitlock, I guess.

the Talking Can
08-20-2010, 02:37 PM
you can't have a democracy without Whitlock writing quasi-grammatical articles about the Chiefs.....apparently

Farzin
This is like a WWE promo. He should have guest hosted WWE's Monday night show...

dirk digler
man, he's such a martyr...

amazing that he's not responsible for a single thing that has happened in his life

he's already thrown 1,256 people under the bus and we're only 30 minutes in

No shit. He has gotten fired or quit all his jobs and left under bad terms. At some point you would think he would wake up

KCUnited
08-20-2010, 02:38 PM
Wire reference, take a drink.

Reaper16
08-20-2010, 02:38 PM
YES! Season 5 of The Wire being referenced.

Reaper16
08-20-2010, 02:39 PM
The Dickensian Aspect

dirk digler
08-20-2010, 02:39 PM
my god his ego is as big as Lebrons

I think it is bigger. Lebron didn't go on for 3 hours about how bad Cleveland was

gblowfish
08-20-2010, 02:40 PM
Let me give you the Cliff Notes on the last 40 minutes:

SHOW ME DA MONEY!!!!

Mr. Arrowhead
08-20-2010, 02:42 PM
I think it is bigger. Lebron didn't go on for 3 hours about how bad Cleveland was

And to think he tries to call Pioli, "Egoli"

DeezNutz
08-20-2010, 02:42 PM
Bomb. Dynamite.

the Talking Can
08-20-2010, 02:43 PM
whitlock is a 3 year old

this is kind of amazing, he's attacking every person he's ever met in his life

tomahawk kid
WOW - talking about the inner "bumpings" at the Star.

Someone's getting sued......

KCUnited
Bitter, party of 1.5.

dirk digler
08-20-2010, 02:44 PM
Bomb. Dynamite.

Damn missed it. what did he say?

gblowfish
08-20-2010, 02:46 PM
"Holly slept her way to being editor of the KC Star Sport Page."
Calling Peterson and Associates.....Calling Brown and Croupen!!!

dirk digler
08-20-2010, 02:47 PM
"Holly slept her way to being editor of the KC Star Sport Page."
Calling Peterson and Associates.....Calling Brown and Croupen!!!

So I guess Hearne wasn't FOS after all.

the Talking Can
08-20-2010, 02:48 PM
i love how he keeps conflating "watch dog of democracy" and the sports page....

KCUnited
08-20-2010, 02:50 PM
This segment brought to you by KU Athletics.

gblowfish
08-20-2010, 02:50 PM
I guess Holly wouldn't give him a lap dance, so....

dirk digler
08-20-2010, 02:55 PM
This segment brought to you by KU Athletics.

LMAO

the Talking Can
08-20-2010, 02:56 PM
he is slaying the star editor....LMAO

jesus she must have laughed at his penis

Los Pollos Hermanos
08-20-2010, 02:58 PM
In a nutshell, Fox gave him F-U money so he told the Star F-U.

PunkinDrublic
08-20-2010, 02:58 PM
Whitlock seems to have deep insecurity issues just like almost every fat overweight guy I've ever known during my lifetime.

'Hamas' Jenkins
08-20-2010, 03:09 PM
Does KCSP have an online stream?

'Hamas' Jenkins
08-20-2010, 03:10 PM
Nevermind, I just tuned in during 300 minutes of retarded commercials.

|Zach|
08-20-2010, 03:11 PM

Upper right hand corner.

http://www.610sports.com/

Reaper16
http://player.streamtheworld.com/_players/entercom/player/?id=KCSP

Silock

Sports journalism . . . not so much.

Brock
08-20-2010, 03:12 PM
This guy is embarrassing himself.

'Hamas' Jenkins
08-20-2010, 03:14 PM
I've gotten high with Mike Fannin...

ROFL

DeezNutz
Job safety: get drunk or high with the editor.

Brock
Well, that was abrupt.

'Hamas' Jenkins
08-20-2010, 03:15 PM
Did they just cut him off?

dirk digler
08-20-2010, 03:15 PM
WTF happened? I just lost the stream and now there is a commerical