PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Haley happy with progress of rookie class

Marcellus
08-17-2010, 09:07 PM
http://espn.go.com/blog/afcwest/post/_/id/15810/haley-happy-with-progress-of-rookie-class

ST. JOSEPH, Mo. -- In June, Kansas City Chiefs coach Todd Haley said he didn’t think the game was too big for his rookie class.

Still, Haley was reserving judgment until training camp started. Now, three weeks into camp and after one preseason game, Haley is even more impressed with his rookies.

“They’ve really been impressive,” Haley said Tuesday. “So far, the game is still not too big for them. ... Across the board, I really think this class can make a contribution as long as they continue to stay on track.”

The rookie class was one of the bright spots of the Chiefs’ preseason opener at Atlanta. Safeties Eric Berry and Kendrick Lewis, cornerback Javier Arenas and running back/returner Dexter McCluster all played well in the game. Tight end Tony Moeaki starred early in camp before missing a week with an ankle injury. He is getting his health back.

The Chiefs are a young team and there plenty of opportunities for this rookie class. Haley is not only happy about the ability of his rookies, but he also likes how the players handle themselves.

“A big part of being a good player is if he has the makeup,” Haley said. “These guys have it as well as talent. I like their demeanor, the way they handle themselves on the sidelines.”

Haley hopes it continues in the regular season.

“What I’m working with them now is,” Haley said, “is making them realize that they have a long, long way to go. It’s a long season. They have no idea how this thing works yet. But so far they’ve handled everything very well.”