PDA

View Full Version : Life do/did you make you kids do chores?

MOhillbilly
08-18-2010, 11:58 AM
I make my kids do chores and of course they drag ass, then bitch n moan about it.
it always amazes me the amount of kids they claim to go to school with who dont do shit.

If you make em do chores do they have a set routine and/or allowance?

If they dont do chores do they still get an allowance?

Discuss.

booyaf2
08-18-2010, 12:25 PM
My kids do chores every morning. pick up laundry, carry to laundry room, make beds, etc. They're only 5 but i'm getting them straightened out early so it becomes second nature. No allowance, but they don't live without much.

tooge
08-18-2010, 12:25 PM
no allowence unless they do chores, but the chores are pretty easy like picking up the dogs crap, picking up their rooms, sweeping out the garage, etc.

Lzen
08-18-2010, 12:31 PM
no allowence unless they do chores, but the chores are pretty easy like picking up the dogs crap, picking up their rooms, sweeping out the garage, etc.

This. My kids do stuff like picking up dog crap, feeding pets, doing dishes, etc.

Pants
08-18-2010, 12:31 PM
The whole "So and So's parents don't make them do chores" is the oldest excuse in the book for any kid. Get the whip out and don't feel too bad, MO.

wutamess
08-18-2010, 12:32 PM
Kids have everything they need. No set chores but when told to cleanup they do it without allowance. Some of my kiddos are at the age where it's coo.l to be the vacuumer or the mopper, etc.

luv
08-18-2010, 12:35 PM
Why would you pay someone to do nothing?

I don't have kids, but my nieces and nephew have to do chores in order to earn Wii time, internet time, or money. I'm not sure if certain chores get them certain things, or if they get to choose what they get after doing the chores. That system seems to work, though.

LiL stumppy
08-18-2010, 12:40 PM
Did many chores when I was younger, mowed our huge lot, picked up sticks and rocks when we got in trouble. Cleaned house, anytime we would have a party my brother and I would be out all day picking up sticks and rocks with my dad so it looked nice... Don't miss those days..

And when kids say other kids at school dont have to do much, is honestly true... Very rarley did my friends have to do anything, maybe take out the trash every now and then.. The days where kids got up and milked cows at 5 am before school are long gone, kids are too spoiled these days.

CaliforniaChief
08-18-2010, 12:41 PM
Mine all have chores. We throw in a few bucks when they go above and beyond the call of duty. Their allowance is the roof over their heads, the 3 square meals, the snacks, free tutoring, valet service, wardrobe, religious upbringing, a comfortable bed, more technology than 95% of the world, and unconditional love.

Groves
08-18-2010, 12:47 PM
Mine are boys 9 and 8, girl 5

It's pretty clear to me that chores are very helpful in developing their view of work, their ability to listen/understand/do, their knowledge of teamwork, and ability to see how things get done.

Shielding them from the work that comes with life is like making them wear blindfolds. I would also be robbing them from the joy of work completed and done well, along with creativity and the consequences of working hard...or slacking.

Thats too many words to say that I think it's grand.

Having said that, though, not all chores or choregiving is equal.

I'm sure we'll get to allowance type stuff later, but I'd rather not make it about money at this point. They get plenty of "how to use/spend/save" money in other areas, but I like not combining it with the "everyone works at what the family needs done" that they need to learn.

The problem is that we've mechanized so much of life that you gots to get inventive just to find something that's not simply busywork.

I'm sure my list is about like everyone else's.

gather trash
gather laundry
fold laundry
shuck corn (all summa long)
take brush to the pile
pull weeds
clear fenceline
water garden
put up veggies
gather sap (spring)
set table
clean rooms
dusting
make biscuits
make gravy
fry bacon
cut carrots/beans
gather a family taco bell order, heh.

As the boys are older, they get longer and more involved assignments and get to use sharper tools.

make tomato trellis
make square foot garden
roll logs for axe target
feed spider in web near door
take water to the blackberries

When it's hot, course nobody is eager to toil, but I think they've got a pretty normal expectation that life=work and then sometimes life=play. They really love and appreciate their play time. It's a great contrast.

Now if I can only convince the relatives to stand down on the bazillion gifts all the time, they may have space in their room to actually live.

DaFace
08-18-2010, 12:47 PM
Isn't that what kids are for?

rambleonthruthefog
08-18-2010, 01:36 PM
i make her keep her room and bathroom clean. if its not clean i will tell her to clean it and she usually does without a word. there is no allowance. she has everything she needs.

Sofa King
08-18-2010, 01:43 PM
kids will do what they are told or...

http://cdn.momversation.com/images/blog/spank.jpg

p.s.... if you're having a bad day, google "spank"

Bane
08-18-2010, 01:45 PM
My boys are 10-11 and they both have set chores to do.They help me cut the grass,take out the trash,help with dishes,and laundry and all.Yes they get an allowance when they help out.

Guru
08-18-2010, 02:04 PM
Wow. Nobody has posted about how bad it is to make your kids do work yet?

talastan
08-18-2010, 02:08 PM
Mine work for their money. They are 7 and 9 right now so I make them clean their rooms, help with laundry, take care of pets, etc. And they get paid for each chore they do. No kid should get Money for Nothing...........................(Dire Straits pun intended) :D

Bowser
08-18-2010, 02:09 PM
Mine knows what she is supposed to do every week, but we don't "make" her do anything. No chores = no allowance, which also = us not getting her what she wants when she asks for it (no thanks to two grandmas). She gets the message most of the time.

Hog Farmer
08-18-2010, 02:11 PM
I cought my kid jacking off the dog last week. I gave her 5 bucks.

Cave Johnson
08-18-2010, 02:12 PM
Locking the doors from the outside tends to keep kids on task, in my experience.

Bane
08-18-2010, 02:13 PM
Wow. Nobody has posted about how bad it is to make your kids do work yet? I's sure they're coming soon enough.

I cought my kid jacking off the dog last week. I gave her 5 bucks.:spock:ROFLROFLROFL:shake::spock:ROFLROFLROFLROFLROFL

Bwana
08-18-2010, 02:16 PM
Wow. Nobody has posted about how bad it is to make your kids do work yet?

No commies have seen the thread yet.

As for my kids, damn right they do chores. I do have one that seems to be going through a phase of not being able to figure out how to turn off a light switch though. It's time for a come to Jesus chat about that tonight. Perhaps she has some stock in the local energy company? :shrug:

seclark
08-18-2010, 02:19 PM
yes...girl cleaned house, dishes, laundry, etc
sons did yard work, painted, fed dog, horse(f@ckin nag), chickens, rabbits.

they got a small allowance, but when they turned 16, we made the down payments for their cars.

man, those boys tore up a bunch of shit though...probably would have been better off paying them to sleep all day.
sec

Mr. Flopnuts
08-18-2010, 02:19 PM
I cought my kid jacking off the dog last week. I gave her 5 bucks.

LMAO RED ROCKET!!!!

rambleonthruthefog
08-18-2010, 02:29 PM
i'll add that my daughters help with my toddler twins cannot be overstated. she simply makes my life easier. thats why she got a pair of $40 converse this afternoon.

Nzoner
08-18-2010, 02:40 PM
I never had kids but I had chores growing up and knew if I wanted allowance and the like they damn well better get done and in a timely manner.I also got my ass beat when needed and deservedly so and I think I turned out okay for it.

kc rush
08-18-2010, 02:44 PM
My 8 year old has to put his clothes in the laundry basket every night, make sure his books are on the shelf, toys are in the toybox and video games are put away. He also needs to check to make sure the dog has food and water every day, and he lets her out in the mornings on the weekend.

He has a chart that he gets to check off (when we say it is ok) for each day he does these things. He also gets bonus check marks if he helps us out with extra things. When his chart is full, he gets $20.

My 4 year old doesn't have a chart or real chores yet, but we encourage him to pick up clothes, books and toys. We'll start the chart when he is 5 his brother graduates to larger chores.

ChiefsOne
08-18-2010, 02:47 PM
My son mows and weedeats the yard, vacuum the house, plus a few other odds and ends.

I make him mow the yard at my work (which he gets paid) and uses that money for his personal training. He doesn't get an allowance, but has asked for one a few times, I tell him I will be happy to give him an allowance, but that is all he gets. He figured out it would be better just to do the work and let us give him what he needs. He doesn't cost too much except for food, which is a ton of $$$ and his costs associated with sports and working out.

I get the same response, most of his friends don't have to do chores.

ChiefsOne
08-18-2010, 02:50 PM
Mine also has to take care of the dogs.

Lzen
08-18-2010, 02:50 PM
.....I turned out okay for it.

Define okay?

:D
:p

Guru
08-18-2010, 02:57 PM
We have specific chores for each child. Some do well with it while others do not. Our oldest whines about every chore he has. What really pisses me off is that we always have to remind him what to do even though it is the same thing every time. He has lost allowance when he does that.

Pestilence
08-18-2010, 03:02 PM
My kids are a little to young to be doing chores....but they will be doing them when they're older.

Hydrae
08-18-2010, 03:21 PM
I haven't mowed in several years. My youngest is almost 16 though, I may have to hire a neighbor kid to do it pretty soon.

Set nights for dishes (I have nights too) and then basic, vaccuum and clean the bathroom whenever Mom says which is probably every other day or so.

No allowance.

Bane
08-18-2010, 03:27 PM
I haven't mowed in several years. My youngest is almost 16 though, I may have to hire a neighbor kid to do it pretty soon.

Set nights for dishes (I have nights too) and then basic, vaccuum and clean the bathroom whenever Mom says which is probably every other day or so.

No allowance.

They both can handle the rider and the push mower,but all bullshitting aside,I actually don't mind cutting the grass.I did hate it as a kid but that's because I had to do it.Now days though I throw a cold one in the cup holder,stick my ear phones in and take off.Hell I'm done before I know it.That's actually one of the chores I will probably never turn over completely to them.

Sweet Daddy Hate
08-18-2010, 03:27 PM
Chores everyday except Sat and Sun when I was growing up.

Nzoner
08-18-2010, 03:42 PM
Define okay?

:D
:p

mrs Nzoner????

Marcellus
08-18-2010, 03:58 PM
Mine are boys 9 and 8, girl 5

It's pretty clear to me that chores are very helpful in developing their view of work, their ability to listen/understand/do, their knowledge of teamwork, and ability to see how things get done.

Shielding them from the work that comes with life is like making them wear blindfolds. I would also be robbing them from the joy of work completed and done well, along with creativity and the consequences of working hard...or slacking.

Thats too many words to say that I think it's grand.

Having said that, though, not all chores or choregiving is equal.

I'm sure we'll get to allowance type stuff later, but I'd rather not make it about money at this point. They get plenty of "how to use/spend/save" money in other areas, but I like not combining it with the "everyone works at what the family needs done" that they need to learn.

The problem is that we've mechanized so much of life that you gots to get inventive just to find something that's not simply busywork.

I'm sure my list is about like everyone else's.

gather trash
gather laundry
fold laundry
shuck corn (all summa long)
take brush to the pile
pull weeds
clear fenceline
water garden
put up veggies
gather sap (spring)
set table
clean rooms
dusting
make biscuits
make gravy
fry bacon
cut carrots/beans
gather a family taco bell order, heh.

As the boys are older, they get longer and more involved assignments and get to use sharper tools.

make tomato trellis
make square foot garden
roll logs for axe target
feed spider in web near door
take water to the blackberries

When it's hot, course nobody is eager to toil, but I think they've got a pretty normal expectation that life=work and then sometimes life=play. They really love and appreciate their play time. It's a great contrast.

Now if I can only convince the relatives to stand down on the bazillion gifts all the time, they may have space in their room to actually live.

Interesting read but I have to ask, gather sap? What are you doing with said sap?

Also could you have one of your kids teach my GF how to make gravy?:)

Bugeater
08-18-2010, 04:01 PM
My son has a couple specific chores, but it's still like pulling teeth to get him to do them or anything else, and then when he does do them he totally half-asses it. I tell him that shit will never fly in real life but he doesn't fucking listen.

Bugeater
08-18-2010, 04:03 PM
My kids are a little to young to be doing chores....but they will be doing them when they're older.
I highly recommend that you don't wait until they're teenagers to start, that was my undoing. You need to get them dusting and vacuuming as soon as they can walk.

stevieray
08-18-2010, 04:20 PM
absolutely..you wanna play...you gotta pay.

bobbymitch
08-18-2010, 04:23 PM
Besides the usual room cleaning, etc., when the youngest hit 9, him and his sister were shown how to do their own laundry. No clean clothes, not our problem.

During the week, they would alternate between cooking dinner and cleaning the dishes.

MichaelH
08-18-2010, 04:55 PM
I have two boys ages 6 & 12.

6 year old
makes bed daily
empties trash cans
vacuums living room rug
clears the table after dinner
All for about $1-$2 a week. He does a great job

12 year old
makes bed daily
helps with laundry
loads and empties dishwasher
sets the table before dinner
push mows approx. 1/2 acre once a week
anything we need that's not on the list
All for $5 a week. he does a great job. when he bitched, I took the money away but still made him do his jobs.

Groves
08-18-2010, 05:04 PM
Interesting read but I have to ask, gather sap? What are you doing with said sap?

Also could you have one of your kids teach my GF how to make gravy?:)

We live in the city, so it's as close as I have to approximating farm chores. Every day they must gather the maple sap in buckets. It looks and tastes like water.

After a week, they get to play with fire.

http://homepage.mac.com/mcgroves/.Pictures/batch12.jpg

to boil the sap

http://homepage.mac.com/mcgroves/.Pictures/batch11.jpg

to make the gold

http://homepage.mac.com/mcgroves/.Pictures/batch1.jpg

That pic is batch #1 of 2010, and now in some twist of galactic fate, we're now connected to the waffles thread.

Now gravy, you gotta man up, learn how to make it, then you can teach the GF. I think the only substitute skill on the man-test is conquering a nation.

PunkinDrublic
08-18-2010, 06:03 PM
No kids. I employ sweatshop labor. Either have my laundry done on time or it's back to the shipping container you came in on.

Mile High Mania
08-18-2010, 06:20 PM
I always had chores - nothing too terrible, but I think it's good for all kids to have chores in order to get their allowance. My kids have chores... pick up rooms, clothes, make the bed, dishes in the sink, pick up the dog poop... and at times we find random things for them to do when we're cleaning up around the house, etc.