PDA

View Full Version : U.S. Issues Love it, NOW they need Bush to help. Hope he tells em all to go to hell

HonestChieffan
08-18-2010, 12:47 PM
Mosque supporters beg George W. Bush to come to Obama's rescue
By: Byron York
Chief Political Correspondent
08/18/10 10:02 AM EDT

(File photo) Former President George W. Bush
There's a new argument emerging among supporters of the Ground Zero mosque. Distressed by President Obama's waffling on the issue, they're calling on former President George W. Bush to announce his support for the project, because in this case Bush understands better than Obama the connection between the war on terror and the larger question of America's relationship with Islam. It's an extraordinary change of position for commentators who long argued that Bush had done grievous harm to America's image in the Muslim world and that Obama represented a fresh start for the United States. Nevertheless, they are now seeing a different side of the former president.
"It's time for W. to weigh in," writes the New York Times' Maureen Dowd. Bush, Dowd explains, understands that "you can't have an effective war against the terrorists if it is a war on Islam." Dowd finds it "odd" that Obama seems less sure on that matter. But to set things back on the right course, she says, "W. needs to get his bullhorn back out" -- a reference to Bush's famous "the people who knocked these buildings down will hear all of us soon!" speech at Ground Zero on September 14, 2001.
Washington Post columnist Eugene Robinson is also looking for an assist from Bush. "I…would love to hear from former President Bush on this issue," Robinson wrote Tuesday in a Post chat session. "He held Ramadan iftar dinners in the White House as part of a much broader effort to show that our fight against the al-Qaeda murderers who attacked us on 9/11 was not a crusade against Islam. He was absolutely right on this point, and it would be helpful to hear his views."
And Peter Beinart, a former editor of the New Republic, is also feeling some nostalgia for the former president. "Words I never thought I'd write: I pine for George W. Bush," Beinart wrote Tuesday in The Daily Beast. "Whatever his flaws, the man respected religion, all religion." Beinart longs for the days when Bush "used to say that the 'war on terror' was a struggle on behalf of Muslims, decent folks who wanted nothing more than to live free like you and me…"
For the moment, with Obama failing to live up to expectations, Bush-bashing is over. It's all a little amusing -- and perhaps a little maddening -- for some members of the Bush circle. When I asked Karl Rove to comment, he responded that it means "redemption is always available for liberals and time causes even the most stubborn of ideologues to revisit mistaken judgments." But won't these Bush critics shortly return to criticizing Bush? "This Bush swoon by selected members of the left commentariat is temporary," Rove answered. "Their swamp fevers will return momentarily."
Bush himself has declined to comment on the mosque affair.

Read more at the Washington Examiner: http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/opinion/blogs/beltway-confidential/Mosque-supporters-beg-George-W-Bush-to-come-to-Obamas-rescue-100977179.html#ixzz0wz7MEgz5

Garcia Bronco
08-18-2010, 01:49 PM
GW got a great deal of hate thrown his way as President and I think History will shut those hater up in the years to come. He won't be a Washington, Monroe, or Jackson, but for Pete's sake he wasn't US Grant, Madison, or Carter.

Swanman
08-18-2010, 02:21 PM
GW got a great deal of hate thrown his way as President and I think History will shut those hater up in the years to come. He won't be a Washington, Monrow, or Jackson, but for Pete's sake he wasn't US Grant, Madison, or Carter.

I think history will soften on him through time, but he will never be considered a "good" or even "mediocre" president. Things like the war in Iraq and the federal govt's failure in Hurricane Katrina will weigh his historical image down. He will get credit for walking into a tough situation (9/11 followed by an economy in decline), however.

I will give GW credit for one thing, he could be a funny bastard at times and he was adept and being witty on his feet.

Bwana
08-18-2010, 02:27 PM
Bush himself has declined to comment on the mosque affair.

Good, let douche bag Barry take the hit, **** him.

http://thomasbingaman.files.wordpress.com/2009/10/miss-me-yet-1.jpg

HonestChieffan
08-18-2010, 02:44 PM
GW got a great deal of hate thrown his way as President and I think History will shut those hater up in the years to come. He won't be a Washington, Monrow, or Jackson, but for Pete's sake he wasn't US Grant, Madison, or Carter.

OR Obama

Garcia Bronco
08-18-2010, 03:41 PM
I think history will soften on him through time, but he will never be considered a "good" or even "mediocre" president. Things like the war in Iraq and the federal govt's failure in Hurricane Katrina will weigh his historical image down. He will get credit for walking into a tough situation (9/11 followed by an economy in decline), however.

I will give GW credit for one thing, he could be a funny bastard at times and he was adept and being witty on his feet.

Katrina was neither his responsibility nor was the response the Federal Governments fault or bad or however you want to describe it. Props to him for taking the blame, but the reality is that the state of LA and the city of NO are at fault for their situation. Mobile, Ala didn't have the problems LA did. Why? I can remember watching helicopters trying to land supplies in NO and all the people there trying to take the helicopter down. No supplies were left. I can remember the reports about locals shooting at the rescue helicopters so much that the military had to come in a confiscate weapons. Lastly and people forget...FEMA successfully responded to over 6 major hurricanes that year with 4 of them before Katrina. There is more than what I listed here.

LOCOChief
08-18-2010, 03:50 PM
Katrina was neither his responsibility nor was the response the Federal Governments fault or bad or however you want to describe it. Props to him for taking the blame, but the reality is that the state of LA and the city of NO are at fault for their situation. Mobile, Ala didn't have the problems LA did. Why? I can remember watching helicopters trying to land supplies in NO and all the people there trying to take the helicopter down. No supplies were left. I can remember the reports about locals shooting at the rescue helicopters so much that the military had to come in a confiscate weapons. Lastly and people forget...FEMA successfully responded to over 6 major hurricanes that year with 4 of them before Katrina. There is more than what I listed here.

How about residents of NO in many many cases not helping with the clean up of their own homes? More often than not they just sat back and watched the volunteers clean up their shit because they of course are "entitled"

BigChiefFan
08-18-2010, 03:59 PM
Obama is doing a horrific job, but that doesn't excuse Bush of his crappy presidency, either. The Patriot Act and bail-outs are a big fuck you to the honest, tax payers of this country. He opened the door, for Obama to CONTINUE many of his policies. Two wrongs, don't make a right.

Bwana
08-18-2010, 04:03 PM

Heh, I got this in an email a few days ago and it goes well with your post.

" Even after the recent Super Bowl victory of the New Orleans Saints , I have noticed a large number of people implying with bad jokes that Cajuns aren't smart. I would like to state for the record that I disagree with that assessment. Anybody that would build a city 5 feet below sea level in a hurricane zone and fill it with Democrats is a damn genius" .

http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:rYATT1WZOU3TGM:http://http://www.hollyworth.com/http://hollyworth.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/larry-the-cable-guy-net-worth.jpg&t=1

BigChiefFan
08-18-2010, 04:05 PM
Heh, I got this in an email a few days ago and it goes well with your post.

" Even after the recent Super Bowl victory of the New Orleans Saints , I have noticed a large number of people implying with bad jokes that Cajuns aren't smart. I would like to state for the record that I disagree with that assessment. Anybody that would build a city 5 feet below sea level in a hurricane zone and fill it with Democrats is a damn genius" .

http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:rYATT1WZOU3TGM:http://http://www.hollyworth.com/http://hollyworth.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/larry-the-cable-guy-net-worth.jpg&t=1

That was fucking funny.

Radar Chief
08-18-2010, 04:26 PM
That was ****ing funny.

I don't care who you are. /Cable Guy

RaiderH8r
08-19-2010, 10:14 AM
BarryO's gotta bring Bush in on this so that he can blame it on him later.

JohnnyV13
08-20-2010, 09:22 PM
GW got a great deal of hate thrown his way as President and I think History will shut those hater up in the years to come. He won't be a Washington, Monroe, or Jackson, but for Pete's sake he wasn't US Grant, Madison, or Carter.

You think Andrew Jackson was a good president????

Oh lord. Andrew Jackson was one of the worst.

SNR
08-20-2010, 09:25 PM
GW got a great deal of hate thrown his way as President and I think History will shut those hater up in the years to come. He won't be a Washington, Monroe, or Jackson, but for Pete's sake he wasn't US Grant, Madison, or Carter.Monroe and Jackson can go to hell.

Madison wasn't that bad.

Mr. Kotter
08-20-2010, 10:34 PM
Purely, and simply....Bush should say, "No, thanks."

In an ideal world, he'd tell them to "Go fugg yourselves. Seriously."

JMHO :shrug:

greg63
08-20-2010, 11:32 PM
Heh!

MadMax
08-21-2010, 04:46 PM
Purely, and simply....Bush should say, "No, thanks."

In an ideal world, he'd tell them to "Go fugg yourselves. Seriously."

JMHO :shrug:

I always wished he would stand up to them and show some balls, but him and his whole administration just ignored them and now we get THIS!!! Obama will go down in history as the worst president EVER! He is like a Harvard student running the greatest country on the planet. He is running it into the ground.

healthpellets
08-21-2010, 05:47 PM
Good, let douche bag Barry take the hit, **** him.

http://thomasbingaman.files.wordpress.com/2009/10/miss-me-yet-1.jpg

no, not really. he did more to destroy civil rights and privacy than anyone else i can recall.

Hog Farmer
08-21-2010, 06:04 PM
That was ****ing funny.

And right on !

Mr. Kotter
08-21-2010, 09:27 PM
no, not really. he did more to destroy civil rights and privacy than anyone else i can recall.

Real civil rights and privacy are among the most treasured and important of our natural rights.

"Civil rights" as a facade for political-correctness, and "privacy" as a ruse for 'do-whatever-the-hell-I-want' at the expense of general welfare and common good....are among the biggest absolute and utter jokes that liberals have EVER tried to foist upon the sheeples of this fine country.

Eat it, bitch. Just sayin'.... :)

healthpellets
08-21-2010, 09:47 PM
Real civil rights and privacy are among the most treasured and important of our natural rights.

"Civil rights" as a facade for political-correctness, and "privacy" as a ruse for 'do-whatever-the-hell-I-want' at the expense of general welfare and common good....are among the biggest absolute and utter jokes that liberals have EVER tried to foist upon the sheeples of this fine country.

Eat it, bitch. Just sayin'.... :)

maybe you're right and i just misinterpreted the PATRIOT ACT. i'll just forget those 300 pages of constitution destroying material ever existed and not worry about the FBI dropping by to do a sneak and peak while i'm at work.

"but why do you care if you have nothing to hide?" :banghead:

Velvet_Jones
08-21-2010, 09:54 PM
Former Presidents not say anything about policy. That includes Carter and Clinton. Wait a minute. Neither Bush has said anything about policy and have actually gone out of their way to not weigh in on policy.

So basically, Carter and Clinton should STFU.

bango
08-21-2010, 09:54 PM
You think Andrew Jackson was a good president????

Oh lord. Andrew Jackson was one of the worst.

Yes, Thank You. Jackson was a very bad President.

bango
08-21-2010, 09:57 PM
Monroe and Jackson can go to hell.

Madison wasn't that bad.

Monroe was no good?

Aries Walker
08-21-2010, 10:24 PM
Monroe was pretty good. The worst were Franklin Pierce (drunk), Andrew Johnson (illiterate), Warren G. Harding (corrupt), and William Henry Harrison (dead).

Mr. Kotter
08-21-2010, 10:31 PM

"but why do you care if you have nothing to hide?"

Exactly, dumbass. Next question? :shrug:

healthpellets
08-21-2010, 10:38 PM
Exactly, dumbass. Next question? :shrug:

does it really not bother you that the 4th amendment protections have all but disappeared?

either way, i'll leave you with this...

"THEY CAME FIRST for the Communists,
and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a Communist.

THEN THEY CAME for the trade unionists,
and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a trade unionist.

THEN THEY CAME for the Jews,
and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a Jew.

THEN THEY CAME for me
and by that time no one was left to speak up."

Mr. Kotter
08-21-2010, 10:41 PM
does it really not bother you that the 4th amendment protections have all but disappeared?

either way, i'll leave you with this...

"THEY CAME FIRST for the Communists,
and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a Communist.

THEN THEY CAME for the trade unionists,
and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a trade unionist.

THEN THEY CAME for the Jews,
and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a Jew.

THEN THEY CAME for me
and by that time no one was left to speak up."

FWIW, the "caps" and "all" red....mean jack-shit, to anyone with half of a brain. Just sayin', heh.

Just because...you have some lame-assed understanding of "probable cause," "reasonable suspicion," and mitigating circumstances....I'm supposed to pretend to be as stupid as you are? Seriously?

No thanks. :rolleyes:

Heh. LMAO

Stupid bi-atch. ROFL

irishjayhawk
08-21-2010, 10:48 PM
Kotter is either drunk or has, quite literally, gone insane.

healthpellets
08-21-2010, 10:53 PM
Kotter is either drunk or has, quite literally, gone insane.

i'd like to use my double dip, Regis.

Oucho Cinco
08-22-2010, 07:16 AM
GW Bush is no longer the President. He has no responsibility to help the opposing party fix their f*ckups.

Bush left office and has not attacked all of the policies of the current administration, why would he support something that is obviously not what the U.S. population majority wants?

petegz28
08-22-2010, 08:25 AM
I hope Bush tells them to go have an anti-freeze cocktail. After the way these people have used Bush as the excuse for everything wrong with man, they really have some fucking nerve.

Baby Lee
08-22-2010, 08:41 AM
maybe you're right and i just misinterpreted the PATRIOT ACT. i'll just forget those 300 pages of constitution destroying material ever existed and not worry about the FBI dropping by to do a sneak and peak while i'm at work.

"but why do you care if you have nothing to hide?" :banghead:

Know what I LOVE? When someone comes on AFTER an issue has been argued ad infinitum and asserts a bold take that ignores precedent analysis and nuance.

Let's run with it.

There's absolutely no argument against gay marriage!!

Here's the answer to the abortion issue, don't want one, don't have one!!

Those who oppose illegal immigration are just masking their racism!!!

Go!!!

RaiderH8r
08-22-2010, 08:42 AM
FWIW, the "caps" and "all" red....mean jack-shit, to anyone with half of a brain. Just sayin', heh.

Just because...you have some lame-assed understanding of "probable cause," "reasonable suspicion," and mitigating circumstances....I'm supposed to pretend to be as stupid as you are? Seriously?

No thanks. :rolleyes:

Heh. LMAO

Stupid bi-atch. ROFL

I've met and talked with the guy that advised on the constitutional aspects of the PATRIOT Act and that guy has forgotten more law, precident and statute than most could ever hope to learn. What I find curious is that for all its egregious infringements, all of its rights destroying policies and measures that it hasn't been taken to court and overturned in part or in whole nor has it been repealed in part or in whole by the leftist darlings in Congress and the Administration. Methinks that the leftist darlings in Congress and the Administration recognize the Act is a fairly sound document based on established legal principles.

Agree or disagree with the Act but if folks are going to bitch about it they should be bitching to their leftist darlings that are running the show...for now.

healthpellets
08-22-2010, 08:52 AM
Know what I LOVE? When someone comes on AFTER an issue has been argued ad infinitum and asserts a bold take that ignores precedent analysis and nuance.

say what? there's nothing bold about anything i wrote. what "precedent analysis" or "nuance" have i ignored?

you people amuse me. it really doesn't bother you until it hits home. you really don't care if the NSA turns on the mic on your neighbor's cell phone without a warrant to spy on him, because obviously he's doing something illegal.

you don't care that ANY american citizen can be detained and labeled an "enemy combatant" and held FOREVER without charge or trial.

you don't care that the FBI can get your financial records, your library records, your internet surfing records, and your grocery store purchases...all without you having any idea they're even investigating you.

you don't care that the FBI can send National Security Letters, which are self-signed search warrants, requesting information from your neighbors, your employer, your banker, or your ISP, and the recipient of the NSL is PROHIBITED BY LAW FOREVER from disclosing his receipt of that letter to ANYONE.

you support these things done in your name by your government. i hope that you never need the protection of your bygone civil liberties. because if you should, there will be no one there to protect you.

the benjiman franklin quote of "They that can give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." well known and played out. but it still rings true. when your government is committing the crimes, who is going to protect you then?

Let's run with it.

There's absolutely no argument against gay marriage!!

Here's the answer to the abortion issue, don't want one, don't have one!!

Those who oppose illegal immigration are just masking their racism!!!

Go!!!

i don't even know what the hell these little things are in reference to.

i don't know if there is a logical argument against gay marriage that doesn't involve religion. but if you have one, feel free to make it.

abortion should be a state issue. if the people of your state wish not to allow abortions, then be it so.

we who oppose illegal immigration aren't racists, we simply support the desire of our country to enforce the current law and request that those who wish to enter the country do so through legal means.

healthpellets
08-22-2010, 11:30 AM

how did wilson get left off your horribles list?