PDA

View Full Version : Life Just got my U-Verse installed

petegz28
08-18-2010, 06:25 PM
Everything is pretty slick. Can't complain about anything. Just had to set the big tv to a brigher picture setting. Internet is fast. Phone...who gives a ****. Picture is just as good as I had if not better than with Comcast. And I have about 200+ more channels than I did with Comcast for a cheaper price. Every Fox Sports Channel, ever ESPN.....

Life is good.

Pants
08-18-2010, 06:27 PM
Picture is just as good as I had if not better than with Comcast.

Now that's a crock of shit, lol. Enjoy that UI though, that thing is slick.

I also hope ATT starts doing a much better job with their OnDemand content. It was severely lacking to Comcast when I switched a month and a half ago.

BWillie
08-18-2010, 06:28 PM
Picture is just as good as I had if not better than with Comcast.

:hmmm: Maybe I'll think about the switch. Did they upgrade their HD? That is the only gripe I've heard from people about the quality of service.

Pants
08-18-2010, 06:31 PM
:hmmm: Maybe I'll think about the switch. Did they upgrade their HD? That is the only gripe I've heard from people about the quality of service.

They have more HD content than pretty much anybody else, but it's lower quality HD.

petegz28
08-18-2010, 06:31 PM
Now that's a crock of shit, lol. Enjoy that UI though, that thing is slick.

I also hope ATT starts doing a much better job with their OnDemand content. It was severely lacking to Comcast when I switched a month and a half ago.

You can say it is a crock of shit but I am here to tell you that it is every bit as good if not better than Comcast. I had Comcast until 4 hours ago. I speak this from experience.

the Talking Can
08-18-2010, 06:42 PM
it's available in my town, but not my neighborhood

would switch in a heartbeat from nazi ass charter.....

Blindside58
08-18-2010, 06:43 PM
Wait until your watching March Madness and see the pixelization of the moving objects in HD...That is what was my last straw.

Pants
08-18-2010, 06:45 PM
You can say it is a crock of shit but I am here to tell you that it is every bit as good if not better than Comcast. I had Comcast until 4 hours ago. I speak this from experience.

As do I, dude. The moment the ATT tech turned my TV on after he did his thing, I saw a huge difference in HD quality. The difference is most visible during sporting events. After 3 months of ATT, I went back to Comcast and what do you know, the HD was better again. I'm being objective here, ATT does some things better than Comcast, HD quality is not one of them, though. Maybe your TV isn't as good as mine, maybe you just don't notice the difference, but it's there for people who care a lot about the picture quality.

petegz28
Wait until your watching March Madness and see the pixelization of the moving objects in HD...That is what was my last straw.

I've been trying to watch sports on HD to see if I get pixels and so far none.

Pants

Exactly.

QuikSsurfer
08-18-2010, 07:21 PM
The HD quality totally depends on your setup and wiring....

But I've read good and bad things about u-verse.. just sayin

bevischief
08-18-2010, 07:23 PM
If anything happens be sure to ask to talk to a American... They will get mad but you will get satisfaction.

Sure-Oz
08-18-2010, 07:29 PM
When i go to my uncles his HD quality looks significantly lower than our dish network, and his setup is premium but hes got alot of channels and is happy with it

petegz28
08-18-2010, 08:12 PM
When i go to my uncles his HD quality looks significantly lower than our dish network, and his setup is premium but hes got alot of channels and is happy with it

I have been watching baseball and football all night and I really can't see a problem. Everything looks just as good. I won't say better cause I don't have them side-side but at this point I can't complain.

Although I expect to see a little difference since u-verse is IP TV and cable is not. But so far, so good.

petegz28
08-18-2010, 08:16 PM
I have to say though, when we first got our first and only LCD TV I did notice during some shows a split-second freeze with Comcast. It wasn't enough to bitch but it was noticeable. I will be looking for the same with u-verse

Tribesman
08-18-2010, 08:51 PM
Not to hijack this thread but can anyone provide input on Direct TV's HD quality? Thinking bout switching to them and getting the Sunday Ticket too.

Blindside58
08-18-2010, 08:59 PM
Not to hijack this thread but can anyone provide input on Direct TV's HD quality? Thinking bout switching to them and getting the Sunday Ticket too.

Quite Simply...The Best!

Tribesman
08-18-2010, 09:07 PM
Quite Simply...The Best!

Coo, thanks! :thumb:

I currently pay $150/mo for the ph-'net-cable bundle and am gonna drop the landline. The only hitch I see w/ DTV though is that they kinda gotcha w/ their monthly svc fees once the introductory rate expires, which is only after 5 months. Then it's 19 months at full price. And yet that still seems to beat Cox Communications. Plus, AT&T is doing a special for DSL (3mb down) for the 1st yr @ $15/mo. Not bad.

Sure-Oz
08-18-2010, 09:19 PM
I have to say though, when we first got our first and only LCD TV I did notice during some shows a split-second freeze with Comcast. It wasn't enough to bitch but it was noticeable. I will be looking for the same with u-verse
I'd say if it doesnt bother you then it doesnt matter what i think...i probably wouldnt complain but ive always had dish or time warner and they work. no exp. with comcast

petegz28
08-18-2010, 10:33 PM
I'd say if it doesnt bother you then it doesnt matter what i think...i probably wouldnt complain but ive always had dish or time warner and they work. no exp. with comcast

Well, after watching and looking for any and everything I can see some issues. So I won't say it is AS good as Comcast when it comes to HD. But really, it wasn't much of anything to bitch about. None of the players pixel but sometimes on my big screen (projection) the shadows of the players would seem a little pixeled and on occasion the outline of a person might seem it a little. That was on the Dallas\Raiders Game. The Royals game looked great except for the camera that showed LH batters up close. Then the people in the crowd behind the player looked a little pixeled but every other camera angle, including close ups of RH batters was just fine. Hockey looked great as I watched some of the replay of Detroit vs. Pitt.

All in all I am not complaining as of yet, especially when it comes to how much cheaper it is. The only thing I am pissy about is I seem to have a flakey box in the bedroom. After it is off for 15 min or so I have to reboot it. But the other 3 boxes seem just fine. Internet is smoking too and the voice seems to be good as well.

petegz28
08-18-2010, 10:35 PM
Coo, thanks! :thumb:

I currently pay $150/mo for the ph-'net-cable bundle and am gonna drop the landline. The only hitch I see w/ DTV though is that they kinda gotcha w/ their monthly svc fees once the introductory rate expires, which is only after 5 months. Then it's 19 months at full price. And yet that still seems to beat Cox Communications. Plus, AT&T is doing a special for DSL (3mb down) for the 1st yr @ $15/mo. Not bad.

I am paying $150 (normally $170) for 450 channels, 4 boxes, DVR, 12m down internet and phone with u-verse. I think after a year it goes up to around $210 or so. Either way that is much better than what I had with Comcast.

Tribesman
08-18-2010, 10:53 PM
I am paying $150 (normally $170) for 450 channels, 4 boxes, DVR, 12m down internet and phone with u-verse. I think after a year it goes up to around $210 or so. Either way that is much better than what I had with Comcast.

Damn, that is a good intro rate. $210 still ain't too bad though, considering your 'net speed, phone and the 4 boxes that's included.

baitism
08-19-2010, 03:21 AM
Ok. Here is the story with ATT U-Verse. If you live close to a remote terminal (which is fiber up to there) get it. My dad lives 500 ft from one and his picture, even HD, is incredible. If you live far away, do not get it. You can look for them. They are big green substructures.

Spott
08-19-2010, 05:23 AM
Ok. Here is the story with ATT U-Verse. If you live close to a remote terminal (which is fiber up to there) get it. My dad lives 500 ft from one and his picture, even HD, is incredible. If you live far away, do not get it. You can look for them. They are big green substructures.

The green structures are actually cross boxes which are just for copper. The VRAD is where the fiber feeds into and it is a tan box. You have to live within 3000 feet of the VRAD for AT&T to provide Uverse.

petegz28
08-19-2010, 07:34 AM
Well, after watching a movie last night I can say the picutre is less than Cocmast. Not to the point that it bothers me but I was slightly disappointed with the pixeling. Then again maybe it was the channel? I was watching Angels and Demons and that's when I saw pixeling I never say during sports. Again though it isn't enough to bother me for the money I am saving.

Pants
08-19-2010, 09:59 AM
Well, after watching a movie last night I can say the picutre is less than Cocmast. Not to the point that it bothers me but I was slightly disappointed with the pixeling. Then again maybe it was the channel? I was watching Angels and Demons and that's when I saw pixeling I never say during sports. Again though it isn't enough to bother me for the money I am saving.

Yeah, it's not really a big deal if you don't really care. The good thing is that you get a shit ton of HD channels and that UVerse UI is just a thing of ****ing beauty.

Go to speedtest and see what your bandwidth and pings are.

P.S. Did you get the $300 Visa Card?

petegz28
08-19-2010, 12:02 PM
Yeah, it's not really a big deal if you don't really care. The good thing is that you get a shit ton of HD channels and that UVerse UI is just a thing of ****ing beauty.

Go to speedtest and see what your bandwidth and pings are.

P.S. Did you get the $300 Visa Card?

Haven't received the cards yet. I guess that all happens via the mail. My speed is between 10-11 down and 1.5 up. I am pretty impressed with the internet.

Sure-Oz
08-19-2010, 12:46 PM
If you're all about budget its a good deal i assume...

im spoiled with dish though and havent looked back or needed to go with anther provider

petegz28
08-19-2010, 08:27 PM
Well, as luck would have it I spoke too soon. I am very not happy with U-verse at the moment. The pixeling is worse today and when I called AT&T about a flakey box the phone was acting funny, like I could hear myself talking through the earpice into a piece of broken plastic. They cannot explain to me why when I hook up my LCD TV with component cables that the HD light goes out. But when I use HDMI it comes on. That would be fine to use HDMI but when I shut off the TV after about 10 minutes the box won't come back on and I have to re-boot it. I am having a 2 Tier technician come out Saturday morning. I told them to yank it but they begged me to let them try once more. I really want this service but FUCK ME! I was hoping they had worked through all of their bugs. At this point the only thing worth a shit is the internet.

WilliamTheIrish
08-19-2010, 08:32 PM
Sounds like U-Verse is little like an umpire for Pete.

dirk digler
08-19-2010, 08:41 PM

Damn that is quite a bit once the discount rate expires.

Did you ever consider going to DTV and just getting an Internet connection on its own?

petegz28
08-19-2010, 08:48 PM
Damn that is quite a bit once the discount rate expires.

Did you ever consider going to DTV and just getting an Internet connection on its own?

I am considering that. Dropping the landline, getting DTV and internet. Problem is 1, DTV seems to go out everytime there is a storm from what I hear. And 2, I think anywhere they want to put it I have trees in the way.

WilliamTheIrish
08-19-2010, 08:51 PM
I am considering that. Dropping the landline, getting DTV and internet. Problem is 1, DTV seems to go out everytime there is a storm from what I hear. And 2, I think anywhere they want to put it I have trees in the way.

Pete, I've had DTV since 1998 and while my personal situation may be unique, the threat of lost signal has been way overblown. I have my dish under and eave and it keeps the elements at bay somewhat. But it has taken seriously hard rain for my signal to be lost.

YMMV, of course.

Blindside58
08-19-2010, 08:56 PM
Pete, I've had DTV since 1998 and while my personal situation may be unique, the threat of lost signal has been way overblown. I have my dish under and eave and it keeps the elements at bay somewhat. But it has taken seriously hard rain for my signal to be lost.

YMMV, of course.

Agreed, I usually tell people that my DTV only goes out right when those dark clouds that turn day into night roll in. then it comes back before they are gone. Most regular rainstorms do not affect my signal.

dirk digler
08-19-2010, 09:07 PM

It will go out. Mine does but the storm\rain has to be pretty strong.

From your house it has to point due south (towards Texas)

BigMeatballDave
08-19-2010, 09:09 PM
I got U-verse a couple weeks ago. Love it.

WilliamTheIrish
08-19-2010, 09:26 PM
Archiving Pete as he goes through the Stages Of TV Grief:

Just got my U-Verse installed
Everything is pretty slick. Can't complain about anything. Just had to set the big tv to a brigher picture setting. Internet is fast. Phone...who gives a ****. Picture is just as good as I had if not better than with Comcast

Well, after watching and looking for any and everything I can see some issues. All in all I am not complaining as of yet,.....

BUT:

The only thing I am pissy about is I seem to have a flakey box in the bedroom.

Pete's flaky bedroom box. What's her real name? (I'm kidding)

Pete looks for the silver lining:

Internet is smoking too and the voice seems to be good as well.

Well, after watching a movie last night I can say the picutre is less than Cocmast. Not to the point that it bothers me

Well, as luck would have it I spoke too soon. I am very not happy with U-verse at the moment. The pixeling is worse today

And the voice that was so good yesterday?

the phone was acting funny, like I could hear myself talking through the earpice into a piece of broken plastic.

I told them to yank it but they begged me to let them try once more. I really want this service but **** ME! I was hoping they had worked through all of their bugs. At this point the only thing worth a shit is the internet.

LMAO

Pete you are a jewel.

BigMeatballDave
08-19-2010, 09:48 PM
Archiving Pete as he goes through the Stages Of TV Grief:

BUT:

Pete's flaky bedroom box. What's her real name? (I'm kidding)

Pete looks for the silver lining:

And the voice that was so good yesterday?

LMAO

Pete you are a jewel.LMAO Pete would bitch if he was hung with a new rope.

petegz28
08-19-2010, 09:53 PM
I got U-verse a couple weeks ago. Love it.

Do you not get any pixeling at all? How far away from the VRAD are you, do you know? Are the sports good? It seems the pixeling is better tonight than it was earlier this evening. How is your phone? I have had some minor static since it was hooked up but it seems to go away and not effect a conversation. The problem I had earlier though was driving me crazy.

BigMeatballDave
08-19-2010, 09:59 PM
Do you not get any pixeling at all? How far away from the VRAD are you, do you know? Are the sports good? It seems the pixeling is better tonight than it was earlier this evening. How is your phone? I have had some minor static since it was hooked up but it seems to go away and not effect a conversation. The problem I had earlier though was driving me crazy.I was looking for the VRAD, but I dont see it anywhere. I havent been wandering thru neighbors yards tho either. Service has been great the past 2 weeks. Some pixeling, but nothing nearly as bad as Time Warner. U-verse's equipment seems to be of much higher quality, too.

mikeyis4dcats.
08-20-2010, 10:24 AM
My wife's aunt had it for 2 days before she got rid of it.

My brother had it for a week before he got rid of it.

Good luck!

WilliamTheIrish
08-20-2010, 07:45 PM
How goes ATT UpixelVerse tonight Pete? Any better?

petegz28
08-21-2010, 07:37 AM
How goes ATT UpixelVerse tonight Pete? Any better?

Actually it was worse last night. Picture was stuttering and freezing. I have a Tier 2 technician that is supposed to be here today between 8-12 to try and "fix" things. I am going to tell him straight out I want it out of my house. Although I might keep the internet. The only think I will accept is if he wants to run a fiber line straight to the house which I doubt he will do, if he can even do it.

petegz28
08-21-2010, 07:46 AM
Oh yeah, I should add that when I turned on the football game last night I had to crank the volume to really high levels just to hear it.

Al Bundy
08-21-2010, 08:37 AM
Oh yeah, I should add that when I turned on the football game last night I had to crank the volume to really high levels just to hear it.

That is my only complaint with it. The only show I have any pixeling issue with is WWE Monday night raw when they come out and all of the flashing bulbs behind them. But the NFL, college basketball and baseball have been great. Not as good as Directv but good nonetheless.

petegz28
08-21-2010, 08:44 AM
That is my only complaint with it. The only show I have any pixeling issue with is WWE Monday night raw when they come out and all of the flashing bulbs behind them. But the NFL, college basketball and baseball have been great. Not as good as Directv but good nonetheless.

I get pixeling on just about everything it seems. The more I watch the more I notice. Basically it comes down to, imo, the fact that I have copper running to the house even though it is fiber to node. The last leg is copper. When the salesman came around last year he said they would run a fiber cable to my house, or at least that is what I thought he said. But that didn't happen. That is the only way they will be able to keep me as a customer is if they do that and it gets better. Other than that there is really nothing I can see that they are going to be able to do to make the picture any better.

And to top it off, here it is 8:30 and I have yet to hear from the technician that is supposed to be here between 8-12. It isn't like he had a prior appointment or anything. Yes, I am being a touch impatient.

Blindside58
08-21-2010, 09:12 AM
The U-verse HD signal was bad, but that paled in comparison to the year of HELL afterward convincing ATT that I had canceled and reverted back to regular DSL and Phone line (Which, by the way, ATT gives a discount for DTV users if you ask for it). My phone # was assigned to the Uverse side, so every time I called for tech support I was automatically directed to their tech support. They are totally separate entities and could not forward me to the ATT techs. I must have talked to 30 Indian support techs wanting to make my call an enjoyable experience - Fuck Them! My DSL was disconnected 3 times, and every time I called they swore I still had U-verse, they released my e-mail address and locked my out of my account after 1 year, which I had for over 7 years for not paying my Uverse bill which was disconnected 7 months earlier. I don't know if anyone else has had this issue, but it sucked. Just making you aware.

petegz28
08-21-2010, 10:17 AM
Well, the tech has been and gone and boy am I pissed. I have to call Comcast and pay Comcast to come out and undo what AT&T did. They will not undo their crap.

BigMeatballDave
08-21-2010, 10:28 AM
Wow. Pete must be in a bad area. Just over 2 weeks now and Zero issues. I'm very happy.

the Talking Can
08-21-2010, 10:44 AM
jesus.....other cable companies should pay you to tell your story

cabletech94
08-21-2010, 11:08 AM
hey pete, do you know how much a fiber to your house will cost?

start with giving your right arm.

petegz28
08-21-2010, 11:10 AM
hey pete, do you know how much a fiber to your house will cost?

start with giving your right arm.

Oh, I know. I didn't know how far they ran the fiber. I guess it is just to the VRAD. So there was no shot at getting fiber to the house.

petegz28
08-21-2010, 11:13 AM
So the end result is I have to basically re-purchase Comcast. They are going to charge me $70 to undo the wiring crap AT&T did. Then I chose a new plan. All in all, same amount of money for the most part, less channels, no DVR....but better picutre quality.

Pants
08-21-2010, 11:30 AM
So the end result is I have to basically re-purchase Comcast. They are going to charge me $70 to undo the wiring crap AT&T did. Then I chose a new plan. All in all, same amount of money for the most part, less channels, no DVR....but better picutre quality.

Dude, Comcast gives out free DVRs, just ask them for it. I have cable + internet + DVR for $70/mo. Be thankful that you're not a gamer because then you would also notice the difference in the internet speeds. If you live right next to the VRAD, then Uverse might be worth it. It might be worth it if you don't notice or care about picture quality, otherwise, I would stay the fuck away from it.

I told you about the HD quality. /sigh

Look at the bright side, at least you'll get your Visas. Or you should at least.

petegz28
08-21-2010, 11:37 AM
Dude, Comcast gives out free DVRs, just ask them for it. I have cable + internet + DVR for $70/mo. Be thankful that you're not a gamer because then you would also notice the difference in the internet speeds. If you live right next to the VRAD, then Uverse might be worth it. It might be worth it if you don't notice or care about picture quality, otherwise, I would stay the **** away from it.

Look at the bright side, at least you'll get your Visas. Or you should at least.

How the hell do you get it for $70? It is going to cost me $150 + tax for Digital Preferred, 12m internet and phone with no DVR.

Deberg_1990
08-21-2010, 11:41 AM
Actually it was worse last night. Picture was stuttering and freezing. I have a Tier 2 technician that is supposed to be here today between 8-12 to try and "fix" things. I am going to tell him straight out I want it out of my house. Although I might keep the internet. The only think I will accept is if he wants to run a fiber line straight to the house which I doubt he will do, if he can even do it.

Is your cabling coax? Ive heard its more reliable with Twisted pair/RG45 cabling.

Ive had UVerse for nearly 3 years. Yes, the quality isnt as good as TW or Direct TV, but its also cheaper, so its all in what you want. For me, i can live with a little pixelation for a lower price.

BigMeatballDave
08-21-2010, 11:44 AM
Dude, Comcast gives out free DVRs, just ask them for it. I have cable + internet + DVR for $70/mo. Be thankful that you're not a gamer because then you would also notice the difference in the internet speeds. If you live right next to the VRAD, then Uverse might be worth it. It might be worth it if you don't notice or care about picture quality, otherwise, I would stay the fuck away from it.

Look at the bright side, at least you'll get your Visas. Or you should at least.My HD quality is better than cable. Not quite as good as DTV. I must be close to a VRAD.

Pants
08-21-2010, 11:46 AM
How the hell do you get it for $70? It is going to cost me $150 + tax for Digital Preferred, 12m internet and phone with no DVR.

If you're off Comcast for 2 months, you can get the introductory rates (pretty much half-price for the services). It's basic cable (no movie channels) and regular internet (just did a speedtest and it's at 13mbs @ 37ms latency). So I decided to go with UVerse, toughed out the 2 months with shit picture and internet, got my Visas and my intro rates with Comcast back (they're good for 6 months). $350 in Visas paid for the $300 or so I had spent on ATT and left me with extra money.

BigMeatballDave
08-21-2010, 11:49 AM
So the end result is I have to basically re-purchase Comcast. They are going to charge me $70 to undo the wiring crap AT&T did. Then I chose a new plan. All in all, same amount of money for the most part, less channels, no DVR....but better picutre quality.Undo what? From what I can see, all they do is run coaxial from the telephone interface into the home.

petegz28
08-21-2010, 12:01 PM
Undo what? From what I can see, all they do is run coaxial from the telephone interface into the home.

They used my existing coax. The took the coax coming out of the comcast box on the side of my house, ran it to the phone box, then out to their u-verse box.

WilliamTheIrish
08-21-2010, 03:25 PM
Pete U-Verse treated you like you treat umpires.

BigMeatballDave
08-21-2010, 03:42 PM
They used my existing coax. The took the coax coming out of the comcast box on the side of my house, ran it to the phone box, then out to their u-verse box.I dont think that matters. AT&T used most of the existing Time Warner coax that was here, also. When I switched to Directv from Time Warner some years ago, the DTV installer used some of the existing TW coax. Seems to me it depends on the installer. Isn't coax, coax?

petegz28
08-21-2010, 03:55 PM
I dont think that matters. AT&T used most of the existing Time Warner coax that was here, also. When I switched to Directv from Time Warner some years ago, the DTV installer used some of the existing TW coax. Seems to me it depends on the installer. Isn't coax, coax?

Well, it does. What they did and what Comcast has to undo is outside the house. They have to undo the coax going from the now AT&T box and reconnect everything up to the Comcast box. I went out there to look at it and it won't be hard for them who have the tools, but it still has to be done.

petegz28
08-21-2010, 03:56 PM
Pete U-Verse treated you like you treat umpires.

Pretty mcuh.

BigMeatballDave
08-21-2010, 04:16 PM
Well, it does. What they did and what Comcast has to undo is outside the house. They have to undo the coax going from the now AT&T box and reconnect everything up to the Comcast box. I went out there to look at it and it won't be hard for them who have the tools, but it still has to be done.Eh, doesnt matter. If you were to switch from Dish/DTV, Comcast would still have to run new coax into your home. When you switched from Comcast to U-verse, did Comcast come out and accommodate AT&T?