PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Chiefs center Wiegmann: “Coming back here felt like home”

Tribal Warfare
08-18-2010, 10:53 PM
Chiefs center Wiegmann: “Coming back here felt like home” (http://www.kansascity.com/2010/08/18/2160025/chiefs-center-wiegmann-coming.html)
By RANDY COVITZ
The Kansas City Star

ST. JOSEPH | A line of autograph seekers ringed the sideline of the Chiefs practice field on a steamy Wednesday morning. Center Casey Wiegmann made sure no one walked away disappointed.

Wiegmann, the last remaining Chiefs player, stayed until the very last fan received an autograph.

That’s how happy Wiegmann is to be back with the Chiefs after a two-year hiatus with Denver.

“I missed Kansas City,” said Wiegmann, a 15-year veteran who spent 2001-07 with the Chiefs as part of one of the most productive lines in NFL history. “The fans care about football. That’s what it’s about. That’s why I play. If the fans care about it, I’ve got to love that.”

Wiegmann, 37, has shown up for his team and the fans every week for the last nine years. Since missing the 2001 season opener with the Chiefs following an appendectomy, Wiegmann has made 143 consecutive starts and taken 9,078 consecutive snaps at center, the longest active streak by any NFL offensive lineman.

His goal is reach 10,000 consecutive snaps, which would come in week 14 or 15 of the season, assuming he wins the starting center job. It was one of the reasons Wiegmann decided not to retire after the 2007 season.

“I don’t know how my body does it. You just keep going. I think about it all the time. I’ve been blessed. I was brought up by a good high school coach, who taught me the value of hard work and work ethic,” he said of the late Ed Thomas of Parkersburg, Iowa, who developed three other NFL players from a town of 1,804.

“I take great pride in being out on the field and helping my teammates. I know I’m in a position battle with Rudy (Niswanger), and it’s just part of the job.”

Niswanger, 6-5, 301, became the Chiefs starter in 2008 after the Chiefs decided to go with a younger and bigger center than Wiegmann, who is 6-2, 285. Wiegmann signed with Denver and went to his first Pro Bowl in 2008. But after last season, the Broncos also decided to go younger and bigger at the position, so Wiegmann returned to the Chiefs, who were looking for veteran leadership.

Niswanger began camp as the starter and started the preseason opener at Atlanta, but this week Wiegmann is filling that spot and likely will start Saturday night’s exhibition game at Tampa Bay.

“I’m here for a reason,” said Wiegmann. “They brought me in, they think I can still play. I’m trying to prove it on the field. I’ve played in the offense, I played in this offense last year; it’s the same deal but different terminology. It’s getting comfortable with the guys you’re playing around, and that’s part of training camp.”

Chiefs coach Todd Haley, who grew up on the practice fields of Pittsburgh’s Super Bowl teams when his father was the club’s scouting director, likens Wiegmann to a throwback in the mold of Steelers linemen that included Hall of Famer Mike Webster, Ray Mansfield and Gerry Mullins.

“He is a football-playing dude,” Haley said of Wiegmann. “He is the epitome … all the great linemen I’ve ever been around, even going back to the Pittsburgh days and paying attention and just watching and been up close and personal with, they all are the same … in the brain. They are offensive linemen.

“They are, ‘I’m playing, no matter what. It would have to be broke in half and dangling to not be in there. This is what I do.’ Offensive linemen want to be in the trenches. That’s the way they’re made or developed. Casey Wiegmann, if you looked up offensive lineman in the dictionary, there would probably be a picture of him.

“Ask him, ‘Why are you still doing it?’ It’s what he does. It’s what he knows, it’s what he loves.”

And where he loves playing. During Wiegmann’s two trips to Kansas City with the Broncos, he would linger in the area between the two locker rooms as if he didn’t want to return to Denver.

“It was hard,” Wiegmann said. “You know all the grounds crew guys, you know all the equipment staff, you know all the trainers. You know players. Coming back here felt like home, and you felt like you didn’t want to leave.”

So now Wiegmann is back. Signing autographs and snapping footballs as if he’s never left.

Bane
08-18-2010, 10:57 PM
I never wanted him to leave in the first place.

Douche Baggins
08-18-2010, 11:10 PM
Herm did Casey wrong.

BossChief
08-18-2010, 11:10 PM
Foolish that we let him walk because we wanted a bigger center for the power running game...that we scrapped in place of the spread offense a few games later...a scheme Weigman is perfect for.

Way to go Carl and Herm

Chocolate Hog
08-18-2010, 11:26 PM
He sucks.

KC Tattoo
08-18-2010, 11:34 PM
Out with the old, in with the ... old? It's nice to rebuild a team with a 37 year old center, one that we had just a few years ago. Part of a line that *failed*cough* helped us in the playoffs, when Herm was in his first season with the Chiefs. Oh It's good to have Casey Weigmann back.

The Bad Guy
08-19-2010, 01:16 AM
Herm did Casey wrong.

Herm did a lot of people wrong. You can throw T-Rich on that list.

FAX
08-19-2010, 06:16 AM
Herm did a lot of people wrong. You can throw T-Rich on that list.

I don't think that was Herm. I think that was Carl. He wanted to save 500k and let T-Rich walk over that money. Sad. Sad and stupid.

FAX

suds79
08-19-2010, 07:22 AM
Out with the old, in with the ... old? It's nice to rebuild a team with a 37 year old center, one that we had just a few years ago. Part of a line that *failed*cough* helped us in the playoffs, when Herm was in his first season with the Chiefs. Oh It's good to have Casey Weigmann back.

While I'm not jumping for joy Casey's back because I always remember him as a Center who can't handle stronger DTs, part of that is just so off base.

"Part of a line that *failed*cough* helped us in the playoffs"

Oh you mean those offensive linemen that couldn't get Peyton Manning off the field to force a punt? That offensive line that failed us?

Seriously?

bishop_74
08-19-2010, 09:39 AM
While I'm not jumping for joy Casey's back because I always remember him as a Center who can't handle stronger DTs, part of that is just so off base.

"Part of a line that *failed*cough* helped us in the playoffs"

Oh you mean those offensive linemen that couldn't get Peyton Manning off the field to force a punt? That offensive line that failed us?

Seriously?

How was our offensive line part of the problem in the 2003 playoffs? Didn't we score on every single possession?

Dick Bull
08-19-2010, 09:54 AM
How was our offensive line part of the problem in the 2003 playoffs? Didn't we score on every single possession?

I think your sarcasm meter's batteries are running low.

HemiEd
08-19-2010, 09:54 AM
Herm did KC wrong.

fixed it.

listopencil
08-19-2010, 10:14 AM
Wieg was decent with us, I thought he did a pretty good job for the most part. Seems like a good guy that I had no trouble rooting for. He did start getting pushed around by the bigger DT's, though. When our RT went down it brought down our whole line. He wasn't the strong point for our line by any means.

Rain Man
08-19-2010, 10:16 AM
Coming home? Well, maybe like a German soldier coming home to Dresden in 1945.

Just Passin' By
08-19-2010, 10:27 AM
Coming home? Well, maybe like a German soldier coming home to Dresden in 1945.

K.C. was a 4-12 team his final year, so coming back to a 4-12 team should allow for familiarity.

DRU
08-19-2010, 11:44 AM

No, we didn't. In fact, as much as I love him and as much as that defense sucked, I still say Priest's fumble in that game is the reason we lost. We were trading scores back and forth all day long until that fumble and we gave them an extra possession. We lost by 1 TD.

None of that matters, though. Especially since the comment about Wiegmann hurting us in the playoffs was talking about Herm's first year, not 2003.

boogblaster
08-19-2010, 12:02 PM
Think he's better than wagonwheel .. but that ain't sayin much .....

ChiefaRoo
08-19-2010, 12:12 PM
No, we didn't. In fact, as much as I love him and as much as that defense sucked, I still say Priest's fumble in that game is the reason we lost. We were trading scores back and forth all day long until that fumble and we gave them an extra possession. We lost by 1 TD.

None of that matters, though. Especially since the comment about Wiegmann hurting us in the playoffs was talking about Herm's first year, not 2003.

KC was not in Indy's class that year and the Chiefs were lucky to have been within one score. The game wasn't as close it seemed. You can't win anything in the NFL without getting D stops. KC's O was awesome (especially the O line and Priest) but the D was just pathetic.

Marcellus
08-19-2010, 12:29 PM

You are way off base. Everybody knows it was Tony Gonzalez and Trent Green's fault we didn't win a playoff game.

Dick Bull
08-19-2010, 12:39 PM
I've always liked Casey. No whining, no bitching, all work.

Undersized, he's what scrappy doo aspired to become.

Garcia Bronco
08-19-2010, 03:15 PM
He was great the first year in Denver and got blown up the second year. Part of that was the LG position being weak.

BossChief
08-19-2010, 03:45 PM

it broke my heart when he fumbled on that run. That feeling was felt throughout the whole section I was in. We knew the only chance we had was if we scored on every possession.

Thanks for bringing up a very bad and obscure moment for me, dick. JKOC

philfree
08-19-2010, 07:10 PM

And before that we had the Offensive PI call on Gonzo and then Anderson missed the FG. Going by our profile we didn't lose that game with our D it was a key penalty (phantom call) and a fumble that was the difference as compared to the games we won that year. We should ahve put at least 1o points on the board in that part of the game. We got none. Normally we'd have put up 14 but......alas...

PhilFree:arrow: