PDA

View Full Version : Legal Awesome: Saudi Judge Consider Paralysis as Punishment

healthpellets
08-19-2010, 08:12 PM
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/n/a/2010/08/19/international/i072853D67.DTL&type=printable

A Saudi judge has asked several hospitals in the country whether they could damage a man's spinal cord as punishment after he was convicted of attacking another man with a cleaver and paralyzing him, the brother of the victim said Thursday.

Abdul-Aziz al-Mutairi, 22, was left paralyzed and subsequently lost a foot after a fight more than two years ago. He asked a judge in northwestern Tabuk province to impose an equivalent punishment on his attacker under Islamic law, his brother Khaled al-Mutairi told The Associated Press by telephone from there.

Islamic law applied in Saudi Arabia allows defendants to ask for a similar punishment for harms inflicted on them. Cutting off the hands of thieves, for example, is common.

Under the law, the victim can receive a blood money to settle the case.

Khaled al-Mutairi said his family is not interested in blood money, and would be ready to send the attacker abroad to perform the operation if it were not possible in the kingdom.

This is the justice system they want us to recognize in our country? No thanks.

Hog Farmer
08-19-2010, 09:37 PM
Sharia law is awesome ! Eat pork!

Rain Man
08-19-2010, 09:41 PM
So let me understand shariah law. If I grope a supermodel, then my punishment is to have a supermodel grope me?

Taco John
08-19-2010, 09:42 PM
So let me understand shariah law. If I grope a supermodel, then my punishment is to have a supermodel grope me?

Yes. Except that it will be a dude supermodel.

Lurk
08-19-2010, 09:45 PM
Yes. Except that it will be a dude supermodel.

And then they stone you.

Saul Good
08-19-2010, 09:47 PM
And then they stone you.

Then they stone her.

healthpellets
08-19-2010, 09:50 PM
if everyone would just get stoned, we wouldn't have this problem.

Brainiac
08-19-2010, 10:34 PM
I think they'd just cut off your hands. Then you couldn't even, well, you know.

healthpellets
08-19-2010, 10:36 PM
I think they'd just cut off your hands. Then you couldn't even, well, you know.

i suppose you could have a couple ribs removed...

MadMax
08-19-2010, 10:46 PM
if everyone would just get stoned, we wouldn't have this problem.

I've been stoned many times and I have to say it's not bad... :)

go bowe
08-20-2010, 01:18 PM
if everyone would just get stoned, we wouldn't have this problem.far out, dude...

far ****ing out... :Peace::Peace::Peace:

alnorth
08-20-2010, 01:29 PM
this isn't really a good example to hold up to say "sharia law is bad!"

It is certainly a crazy-ass system of religiously-influenced law, but every once in a while you get these rare cases where deep down you smile and think "yeah, I like it, that sounds like a good outcome to me!" This could be one of those cases.

A better example is that one college girl (in Iran I think?) who was stalked by a romantically-obsessed crazy guy, she kept refusing him, then one day he snaps and throws acid on her face, horribly burning her and blinding her in both eyes. The government offered her a lot of money to settle the case and go away, but she refused. She wanted his eyes, and eventually I believe the guy was blinded by acid as his punishment.

healthpellets
08-20-2010, 01:32 PM

It is certainly a crazy-ass system of religiously-influenced law, but every once in a while you get these rare cases where deep down you smile and think "yeah, I like it, that sounds like a good outcome to me!" This could be one of those cases.

A better example is that one college girl (in Iran I think?) who was stalked by a romantically-obsessed crazy guy, she kept refusing him, then one day he snaps and throws acid on her face, horribly burning her and blinding her in both eyes. The government offered her a lot of money to settle the case and go away, but she refused. She wanted his eyes, and eventually I believe the guy was blinded by acid as his punishment.

um, ya. they are both horrible examples of the batshit craziness that passes for a justice system.

Hydrae
08-20-2010, 02:58 PM

Eye for an eye is so Old Testament.

Hog Farmer
08-20-2010, 09:02 PM
Eye for an eye is so Old Testament.

Soooo, I wonder what would happen if I was caught..... well..... you know.

Psyko Tek
08-20-2010, 09:19 PM

why didn't they just remove his eyes and transplant them to her
don't know if it's possible
but it would be justice