PDA

View Full Version : Misc In deference to my friends who live in Chicago...

Mosbonian
08-20-2010, 05:32 PM
It's a great place to visit, but I would never want to live there.

mmaddog

Reaper16
08-20-2010, 05:36 PM
Hater.

NIUhuskies
08-20-2010, 05:40 PM
Wow, I'd never live anywhere else. Chicago is a world class city. Work has offered to promote me sooner if I leave, but I can't do it. Love it here too much!

Guru
08-20-2010, 05:41 PM
I could live there as long as it is in the burbs. I wouldn't want to live in the city at all.

Bacon Cheeseburger
08-20-2010, 05:46 PM
I say that about nearly every city I visit.

DaKCMan AP
08-20-2010, 05:54 PM
I could live there for a year or two. My answer might change after living through a real winter, though.

Bearcat
08-20-2010, 05:58 PM
I could live there as long as it is in the burbs. I wouldn't want to live in the city at all.

I'm the other way, unless I also worked in the suburbs.... granted, at least with a long train ride, you could catch up on news or whatever, that's still probably 2 hours each day. If I could afford to live downtown, I'd live there.

Frazod
08-20-2010, 06:35 PM
I lived there for 10 years, in the parts they don't talk about in the tourism brochures. Chicago sucks. Living in the suburbs is infinitely better.

OnTheWarpath58
08-20-2010, 07:07 PM
Just got back from there. Really the only issue I have with the place is traffic - made worse this week by Paramount Studios, who's filming Transformers 3 at the moment.

OnTheWarpath58
08-20-2010, 07:08 PM
I'm the other way, unless I also worked in the suburbs.... granted, at least with a long train ride, you could catch up on news or whatever, that's still probably 2 hours each day. If I could afford to live downtown, I'd live there.

The wife and I found a condo in a high rise building we really liked...

Until we saw the yearly parking charge.

GRAND.

Frazod
08-20-2010, 07:22 PM
The wife and I found a condo in a high rise building we really liked...

Until we saw the yearly parking charge.

GRAND.

If you're filthy fucking rich, I assume Chicago is great.

OnTheWarpath58
08-20-2010, 07:25 PM
If you're filthy fucking rich, I assume Chicago is great.

Yeah, we were there for 24 hours and spent a fucking fortune.

Fun place to visit, but not interested in living there.

Reaper16
08-20-2010, 07:28 PM
I'd love to be able to afford to live in Chicago. I suppose I could live there now, but I don't have a family and am unafraid to live in "seedy" neighborhoods.

Spicy McHaggis
08-20-2010, 07:37 PM
I've enjoyed living Chicago. It is ridiculously pricey at times but it seems like a pretty sweet place to be in your 20's. (And the Wisconsin winters prepared me for the Lake Michigan cold)

kcfanXIII
08-20-2010, 07:46 PM
I don't care much for any city with a hand gun ban.

Hog Farmer
08-20-2010, 07:58 PM
I think Chicago would be a great place to live.

If you want to belong to a gang or the mofia and kill people.

Hog Farmer
08-20-2010, 07:59 PM
I wonder if there's a market for boar goo there ????

Mosbonian
08-20-2010, 09:16 PM
Wow, I'd never live anywhere else. Chicago is a world class city. Work has offered to promote me sooner if I leave, but I can't do it. Love it here too much!

I am happy you like it there...but it would never work for me.

mmaddog

Mosbonian
08-20-2010, 09:18 PM
I lived there for 10 years, in the parts they don't talk about in the tourism brochures. Chicago sucks. Living in the suburbs is infinitely better.

Do you drive in from the suburbs? I am afraid I might be tempted to kill somebody if I was in the traffic I saw.

mmaddog

Mosbonian
08-20-2010, 09:23 PM
Just got back from there. Really the only issue I have with the place is traffic - made worse this week by Paramount Studios, who's filming Transformers 3 at the moment.

Were you there this week? I was in town for a convention from Sunday to Wednesday and then spent a day in one of our Market Centers off Halsted Street.

I will admit there were some great places to eat....ate at Ditka's Steakhouse on Tuesday evening. And when my boss and I were walking upstairs to eat in one of the private rooms with one of our Vendors, we got to the top of stairs and ran in Ditka himself....

Ate at a nice little restaurant downtown called Volare's....great Italian food. Went down to the Navy Pier on Wednesday to watch the fireworks.

mmaddog

Frazod
08-20-2010, 09:37 PM
Do you drive in from the suburbs? I am afraid I might be tempted to kill somebody if I was in the traffic I saw.

mmaddog
Oh God no. I take the train. From where I live it would take at least an hour. On a GOOD DAY. Fuck that.

Garcia Bronco
08-20-2010, 10:24 PM
Chicago was settled by people from New York who said. "I like the crime and poverty, but it just isn't cold enough."

OnTheWarpath58
08-21-2010, 03:51 PM
Were you there this week? I was in town for a convention from Sunday to Wednesday and then spent a day in one of our Market Centers off Halsted Street.

I will admit there were some great places to eat....ate at Ditka's Steakhouse on Tuesday evening. And when my boss and I were walking upstairs to eat in one of the private rooms with one of our Vendors, we got to the top of stairs and ran in Ditka himself....

Ate at a nice little restaurant downtown called Volare's....great Italian food. Went down to the Navy Pier on Wednesday to watch the fireworks.

mmaddog

I was there Thursday and Friday.

We ate at Benny's Chop House on Thursday, which is owned by the same guy that owns Volare. Easily one of the best meals I've ever had.

Had breakfast at Yolk on Friday, and that was easily the BEST breakfast I've ever had.

We stayed mostly in the River North area, and hit the shops along Michigan. Did manage to head to Navy Pier on Thursday afternoon and had a couple of 312's at Harry Caray's.

Quick couple of days, but it was worth it.

Sweet Daddy Hate
08-22-2010, 03:38 AM
Google walk lakeshore drive sometime, it's pretty cool.

HemiEd
08-22-2010, 05:28 AM

Yeah, out here 30 miles west of the city, it is fine, but I don't even like to make that 30 mile trip more than once a year. Last time was when Nzoner was in town.

DTLB58
08-22-2010, 10:05 AM
I HATE driving in that F*ing city. People there are just idiots when it comes to driving.

I will never drive to or through there again!

Red Brooklyn
08-22-2010, 10:34 AM
Not sure I could live in Chicago after having lived in NYC... but I have a lot of friends who love it there.

ChiTown
08-22-2010, 10:36 AM
It's a great place to visit, but I would never want to live there.

mmaddog

Meh

I'd move back in a NY minute. I loved living there, and really, everything about it.