PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs ATHAN - Chiefs camp: That's a wrap

Count Zarth
08-20-2010, 09:17 PM
With Whitlock gone, Nicholas Athan is the most controversial Chiefs columnist out there.

http://www.foxsportskansascity.com/08/19/10/Chiefs-camp-Thats-a-wrap/landing.html?blockID=294084&feedID=5070
Chiefs camp: That's a wrap

By NICK ATHAN
WarpaintIllustrated.com / FOXSportsKansasCity.com

ST. JOSEPH, MO - On Thursday afternoon the Kansas City Chiefs ended their three week tropical vacation in balmy St. Joe. With temperatures approaching triple digits, head coach Todd Haley lightened up on the players by working in shells and generally doing a basic walk-through practice in preparation for Saturday nightís second preseason game at Tampa Bay.

For most of the last three weeks, the practices were intense. It was very vocal and far more physical than any training camp Iíve attended with the Chiefs. A lot of that had to do with the addition of new coordinators Charlie Weis and Romeo Crennel. But this camp also saw a new and more polished head coach.

Sure, Haley was loud and in the playersí faces on Wednesdayís last two-a-day session. But on Thursday, he seemed to enjoy busting on Weis. The two bantered back and forth like a couple of kids. Of course, it was ĎRí rated, but nonetheless the comedy act seemed to be a hit with the 1,000 fans that attended the final practice in St. Joe.

Thatís a far cry from the Haley most of the media saw a year ago. The head coach even spent time signing autographs for a group of young football players.

For all his detractors, Haley has really grown this year. Regardless of whether it was his idea to bring in Weis and Crennel Ė some think it wasnít -- it was still a solid move that generally head coaches wonít do. They want to be in control and in charge of every aspect of football.

But Haley knew his coaching staff needed an upgrade and he had to recognize his micromanaging shortcomings. Thatís not a knock on him. First year head coaches, as Haley was in 2009, donít know any other way to do things.

A few years back I had a conversation on that very topic with former Chiefs coach Gunther Cunningham. During his two-year tenure as head coach, he told me his biggest regret was that he worried about things that had nothing to do with getting his players ready for battle on Sundays.

Iím not sure it was that bad with Haley, but it takes a very confident and humble man to bring in Super Bowl winning coaches with their own egos and style.

It appears that Haley has adjusted to it quite nicely. Though heíll still add his input, particularly on offense, heís let these two men run their respective units.

Heís also been far more realistic about how to deal with his players. Last year it was a brazen style that rubbed some the wrong way. This year, even though he has told the media that running back Jamaal Charles might not make the team, weíve seen far more of his personality.

A cynic would suggest that because heís in front of thousands of fans each practice, maybe heís just playing to the crowd. I donít believe that for a minute. Even off the record, the players say that Haley is different.

Thatís a good thing. But donít be mistaken -- the players donít have to like the head coach. They must respect him, though, or they wonít play hard for him.

In training camp, thatís something that was evident. The players were in great shape, the heat was demanding, and the coaches were throwing things at each of them during every drill. But you could see some camaraderie building.

Still, the proof of the work gained in St. Joe will be judged based on wins and losses. With three preseason games left, the Chiefs have precious little time to get this team ready for their Monday night opening contest against the San Diego Chargers on September 13th.

On Monday the players return to practice at their Arrowhead facility, and things will probably be different. The fans will be gone, the coaches will be more intense, as will the players, and the first set of roster cuts are looming.

Not many can dispute that St. Joe was a success for the Chiefs. This football team leaves its summer home a more unified team than the one that convened on July 29th.

Now weíre going to find out if they can apply that new unity and start winning games. And thatís how Haley is ultimately going to be judged.

Get more in depth coverage of the Chiefs from Nick Athan at WarpaintIllustrated.com.

Phobia
08-20-2010, 09:18 PM
ST. JOSEPH, MO - On Thursday afternoon the Kansas City Chiefs ended their three week tropical vacation in balmy St. Joe. Got this far before dozing off.

Marcellus
08-20-2010, 09:20 PM
Still, the proof of the work gained in St. Joe will be judged based on wins and losses. With three preseason games left, the Chiefs have precious little time to get this team ready for their Monday night opening contest against the San Diego Chargers on September 13th.

Great article but this sums it up. There needs to be improvement on the field.

Hog Farmer
08-20-2010, 09:24 PM
Haley has told the media that Charles may not make the team ???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????? ???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????? ????????????????????????????????????????????????

Nick athan is brilliant !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

COchief
08-20-2010, 09:27 PM
This year, even though he has told the media that running back Jamaal Charles might not make the team, weíve seen far more of his personality.

I don't care if Haley actually said this or not, it was retarded to include in the article as it is ridiculous and JC is one of the top 2-3 players on our team and busts his ass from all reports. Any "reporter" who would take this as anything more than something said in jest is a moron.

big nasty kcnut
08-20-2010, 09:34 PM
Nicholas Athan suck cock he don't know talents and he fucked with people who could make his piece of shit site better.

DaFace
08-20-2010, 09:38 PM
Got this far before dozing off.

I made it as far as "ATHAN".

mcaj22
08-20-2010, 09:38 PM
can't believe this idiot included that Charles might not make the team shit.

What a horrid writer/reporter/whatever the fuck-er he is suppose to be making a living doing.

RustShack
08-20-2010, 09:40 PM
On Monday the players return to practice at their Arrowhead facility, and things will probably be different. The fans will be gone, the coaches will be more intense, as will the players, and the first set of roster cuts are looming.

Maybe they should have more closed practices at camp then so they can be more intense.

Stinger
08-20-2010, 09:43 PM
can't believe this idiot included that Charles might not make the team shit.

THE DEAL IS DONE!!!!!!!!!!!

KCtotheSB
08-20-2010, 09:44 PM

Great article but this sums it up. There needs to be improvement on the field.

*bangs sarcasm detector against desk*

This thing working....?

Ugly Duck
08-20-2010, 10:28 PM
Great news! If Haley cuts Charles... be sure to let Cable know. He might be able to catch on over here in Oaktown.

big nasty kcnut
08-20-2010, 10:33 PM
Yeah i am mean to nick the assclown i don't give a fuck he is a shitbag flunky. Thank god i have this site this site is awesome and the people in here are awesome but nick assclown sucks ass and i hope he'll learn how to not have a dick in his mouth when writing. Then his stuff might be readable but i doubt it.

boogblaster
08-20-2010, 11:00 PM
Charles will not be cut .. JFC .....

Hog Farmer
08-20-2010, 11:33 PM
Yeah i am mean to nick the assclown i don't give a **** he is a shitbag flunky. Thank god i have this site this site is awesome and the people in here are awesome but nick assclown sucks ass and i hope he'll learn how to not have a dick in his mouth when writing. Then his stuff might be readable but i doubt it.

Fuck yeah ! :drool:ROFL

Consistent1
08-20-2010, 11:39 PM
I don't care if Haley actually said this or not, it was retarded to include in the article as it is ridiculous and JC is one of the top 2-3 players on our team and busts his ass from all reports. Any "reporter" who would take this as anything more than something said in jest is a moron.

Charles will not be cut .. JFC .....

Even Athan isn't saying that. The point was is that Haley is still evasive and very sarcastic with the media at times, he has made progress from last year. Charles is a great player, but the overly defensive nature of this board toward him gets insane.

DaneMcCloud
08-20-2010, 11:51 PM
The Chiefs will be judged by their wins and losses?

Really?

Count Zarth
08-21-2010, 12:02 AM
Damn, Athan really knows how to work you guys up.

booger
08-21-2010, 12:17 AM
Damn, Athan really knows how to get into my pants.

:shake:

thats just ghey clay

booger
08-21-2010, 12:23 AM
Gochiefs expose Athan for the creep he is and go on nick wrights show and tell him about the time Athan got drunk and kissed your neck in boomer grigsby's basement.

Sweet Daddy Hate
08-21-2010, 02:31 AM
I made it as far as "ATHAN".

This.

(and it kind'a hurt even doing that)

Sweet Daddy Hate
08-21-2010, 02:32 AM
Anyone hear JWhit spilling beans today?

milkman
08-21-2010, 02:52 AM
Atahn is an idiot, but this article was pretty good for him.

Sweet Daddy Hate
08-21-2010, 03:08 AM
We WILL beat the Chargers.

milkman
08-21-2010, 03:10 AM
We WILL beat the Chargers.

How?

I'm not seeing it.

Sweet Daddy Hate
08-21-2010, 03:11 AM
How?

I'm not seeing it.

Jesus loves us? Mojo?

milkman
08-21-2010, 03:18 AM
Jesus loves us? Mojo?

Why would a Donkey love us?

Sweet Daddy Hate
08-21-2010, 03:23 AM
Why would a Donkey love us?

Burrosis can sometimes favor the needy.

Bwana
08-21-2010, 06:55 AM
Wow, this guy is a complete hack.

Baby Lee
08-21-2010, 06:56 AM
With Huard gone, Cassel is the best Chiefs QB. ;)

TEX
08-21-2010, 10:07 AM
This year was the first in about 20 years that I didn't follow the Chiefs from day 1 of camp. I didn't know when it bagan, I honestly didn't realize it was over. Didn't miss it either. Don't really care anymore. Indifference has officially set in...

keg in kc
08-21-2010, 10:20 AM
Jesus.

Sweet Daddy Hate
08-21-2010, 02:51 PM
Jesus.

http://image.examiner.com/images/blog/wysiwyg/image/tim_tebow_%282%29.jpg

You rang?

Hog Farmer
08-22-2010, 12:32 PM
How?

I'm not seeing it.

Th only way we can beat the Chargers is if we score more points than them. It's really simple!

Mr. Laz
08-22-2010, 01:20 PM
did he just call Athan a columnist?

ROFL

Sweet Daddy Hate
08-22-2010, 01:30 PM

ROFL

LMAO

Just Passin' By
08-22-2010, 01:35 PM

ROFL

Maybe he meant communist and got confused...

milkman
08-22-2010, 03:04 PM
Th only way we can beat the Chargers is if we score more points than them. It's really simple!

Now that's the kind of insight that you can't get anywhere else.

Sweet Daddy Hate
08-22-2010, 03:24 PM
Now that's the kind of insight that you can't get anywhere else.

LMAO