PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Babb: Chiefs want to start with authority tonight at Tampa Bay

Tribal Warfare
08-21-2010, 01:35 AM
Chiefs want to start with authority tonight at Tampa Bay (http://www.kansascity.com/2010/08/20/2164173/the-chiefs-want-to-start-with.html)
By KENT BABB
The Kansas City Star

TAMPA, Fla. | For all the talk about how the Chiefs will finish games, coach Todd Haley is, at least for now, concerned with how his team starts.

The Chiefs’ opening half in last week’s preseason loss at Atlanta began poorly, to say the least. The defense had trouble stopping the Falcons’ rush offense, and the Chiefs’ offense failed to get a first down in its first two possessions — three-and-out on its opening possession and a Matt Cassel fumble on the next.

That’s not the way Haley saw things coming together, and he said this week that he hopes tonight’s preseason game at Tampa Bay will be different.

“The guys just need to be ready for the start of the game,” he said. “Tempo was a big issue. It wasn’t about being ready; they were prepared. I think everybody was ready to go for the game, but I think the initial, ‘Here we go, this is the first real game’ — and I just think the tempo caught some guys off guard.”

That came despite Haley’s attempt to manipulate things to energize — or at least test — the defense. The Chiefs won the opening coin toss, and Haley elected to defer possession to begin the second half. He said later that the idea was to give the defense a chance to establish itself early and try to take control of the momentum.

That idea backfired. Falcons running back Michael Turner had no trouble with the Chiefs’ front seven, and neither did fullback Jason Snelling. Even when Chiefs defenders got past Atlanta’s offensive line, the Falcons kept moving; Snelling gained five yards on a play in the first after he was initially surrounded in the backfield.

It was that kind of evening for the Chiefs in the Georgia Dome, and it was reminiscent of so many contests in last year’s 4-12 season — and that’s something they would just as soon forget.

“That’s why I think next week you’ll see an adjustment,” Haley said. “Everybody will have a little better idea of what to expect. I think that occurred, once they got their feet under them. I saw some good things from a lot of defensive players that makes me feel like we’re making progress.”

Haley indicated that he’d like to see more comfort from Cassel, too. The coach chided his quarterback this week for two sacks and a fumble that, Haley said, was avoidable. The plays pushed the offense back, and kicker Ryan Succop missed his two field-goal attempts, both at 53 yards.

The Chiefs have worked during the offseason and training camp to prepare Cassel for his second season in Kansas City — and to remove as many obstacles as possible. Haley hired coordinator Charlie Weis to work with Cassel, and the team also improved its offensive line, re-signed receiver Chris Chambers and drafted versatile playmaker Dexter McCluster.

Cassel is, of course, one of this season’s most significant barometers for success. If he’s good, then the Chiefs could be, too. If he’s not, the team could again be in trouble. The Chiefs would likely feel better about their outlook if Cassel appears more comfortable tonight at Raymond James Stadium, where he — and the rest of the starters — are expected to play more than their brief appearances last week.

“It’s a work in progress,” said Cassel, who completed six of eight passes last week, but none for more than six yards. “We’re continuing to work hard each and every day; we’re still grinding.

“The offensive unit, we’re just going to keep working and trying to get better and better each week.”

Haley said early last week that the coaching staff would spend much of the Chiefs’ final week of training camp emphasizing the need to start well against the Buccaneers. Haley has said he understands that the time to prepare is running out; he has jokingly said that he would take more than four preseason games to get his young team ready for the regular season.

Now, the Chiefs get another chance to begin with authority. Haley said he hopes it goes better than it did at the Georgia Dome, when the Chiefs didn’t score a touchdown until late in the fourth quarter.

“That was a test,” Haley said of the Atlanta game. “We just have to be ready for that tempo and physicality of the game right out of the gate as opposed to waiting five, six, seven, eight plays.”

FIVE THINGS TO WATCH TONIGHT

1. | The emphasis put on Jamaal Charles and Dexter McCluster.

2. | Dwayne Bowe’s attitude and performance.

3. | The defense’s reaction to last week’s struggles.

4. | The secondary’s continued growth.

5. | Ryan Succop’s reaction to last week’s misses.

milkman
08-21-2010, 02:50 AM
The coach chided his quarterback this week for two sacks and a fumble that, Haley said, was avoidable.

I don't know that the sack was avoidable, but the strip certainly was, and Haley should have kicked his ass into next week for that.

Chided?

JFC.

Guru
08-21-2010, 04:51 AM
Chiefs? Authority?

ROFL ROFL ROFL

SenselessChiefsFan
08-21-2010, 05:58 AM
And, I want to win the lottery tonight.... I may have a better chance.

michaelj_58
08-21-2010, 06:11 AM
well at least haley is trying to get them fired up,thats what this team needs besides talent.he needs to kick them in the butt after last week.that was terrible.

TEX
08-21-2010, 09:45 AM
Honestly, I don't think the Chiefs have a clue on how to start with authority...:shake:

milkman
08-21-2010, 09:47 AM
Honestly, I don't think the Chiefs have a clue on how to start with authority...:shake:

You are probably right, since the first thing you need to start with authority is talent.

SenselessChiefsFan
08-21-2010, 09:48 AM
And, I want to win the lottery tonight.... I may have a better chance.

An update, I bought five scratch off tickets and I have not won anything. So, things don't look good for the Chiefs.

boogblaster
08-21-2010, 10:38 AM
GO CHIEFS .. we'b gona start wift authorty ....

Mr. Laz
08-21-2010, 10:51 AM
and i want a fucking playoff win

we don't always get what we want

Mr. Arrowhead
08-21-2010, 01:12 PM
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/v_odEOrTrHs?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/v_odEOrTrHs?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

crazycoffey
08-21-2010, 01:58 PM
Typical Chief's beat reporting followed quickly by typical Chief's Planet negativity...
Does anyone here even want to see the chiefs succeed, knowing in advance most of the changes to date and into the future will probably never be what they want?

I sure wish Clark would hurry up and get the planet more involved in the front office so we fans can finally see a good product.

Brock
08-21-2010, 02:05 PM
Yes, people, stop complaining. It's only been 5 years since this team was marginally competitive, what do you want?

Mr. Laz
08-21-2010, 02:14 PM
Typical Chief's beat reporting followed quickly by typical Chief's Planet negativity...
Does anyone here even want to see the chiefs succeed, knowing in advance most of the changes to date and into the future will probably never be what they want?

I sure wish Clark would hurry up and get the planet more involved in the front office so we fans can finally see a good product.
while i understand your point we have sucked for so long ... what do you expect.

Just wait, a good game or two and people will be drowning in chiefs kool-aid.

we just have seen much "good" to get excited about :sulk:

crazycoffey
08-21-2010, 02:29 PM
while i understand your point we have sucked for so long ... what do you expect.

Just wait, a good game or two and people will be drowning in chiefs kool-aid.

we just have seen much "good" to get excited about :sulk:

You know, I'm 38 right now, and I've lived my life my way. When I look back I see good and bad memories, but I don't want those past memories to rule what I am and do today. Good or bad, for that matter. Today is a new day and it'll be good or bad depending on what I do. Now I have no idea what my life is going to be like in five years, or even how it will look when it's over, but I don't want to make my decisions about today based on what I think my future will be or should be.

I know I'm not vocalizing the majority opinion of this board, but why does it HAVE to be

1) everything's Okaaayyyyy, drink the kool-aide, smile at everything.

or

2) Nothing is ok, we've always sucked, we'll always suck, it's been X number of years since I've seen Z results.

Why can't it just be;

3) It's a new year, new group of men competing and working together. I just want to see how it all unfolds. I enjoy the journey.

SenselessChiefsFan
08-21-2010, 02:35 PM
and i want a ****ing playoff win

we don't always get what we want

I guarantee that this year, you will NOT experience a Chiefs' playoff loss.

Sweet Daddy Hate
08-21-2010, 02:42 PM
“It’s a work in progress,” said Cassel, who completed six of eight passes last week, but none for more than six yards. “We’re continuing to work hard each and every day; we’re still grinding.

Um, work generally requires tools, Shat; you have none. So why not pull the ripcord on that golden parachute after this season?

Thx/Bye!

Baconeater
08-21-2010, 02:44 PM
Well they can want in one hand and shit in the other....

Sweet Daddy Hate
08-21-2010, 02:48 PM
Well they can want in one hand and shit in the other....

:LOL:

Mizzou_8541
08-21-2010, 02:58 PM
I apologize if this has been asked in a different thread, but is there a live stream of the game tonight?

Pawnmower
08-21-2010, 03:30 PM
I apologize if this has been asked in a different thread, but is there a live stream of the game tonight?

I'm sure there will be, if you don't find one or get an answer check in the game thread...I will try and help in this area if at all possible. I'm not going to be at home, so I can't post very often...But if I find a solid one I will post it.

Marcellus
08-21-2010, 03:34 PM
I'm sure there will be, if you don't find one or get an answer check in the game thread...I will try and help in this area if at all possible. I'm not going to be at home, so I can't post very often...But if I find a solid one I will post it.

You can see them all live for $30 on NFL.com. What a bunch of crap. Charging for preseason games.

Pawnmower
08-21-2010, 03:38 PM
You can see them all live for $30 on NFL.com. What a bunch of crap. Charging for preseason games.

Yah thats why if you can live with a lower quality I would recommend NOT paying for it and finding a public stream.

notorious
08-21-2010, 03:49 PM
Why can't it just be;

3) It's a new year, new group of men competing and working together. I just want to see how it all unfolds. I enjoy the journey.

I appreciate your positive look on things, Mr. CrazyCoffey, but that just isn't very darn interesting.

Interesting sales tickets, or in this case brings all of us losers together to rip on each other ala Chiefsplanet.

Sweet Daddy Hate
08-21-2010, 03:50 PM
I appreciate your positive look on things, Mr. CrazyCoffey, but that just isn't very darn interesting.

Interesting sales tickets, or in this case brings all of us losers together to rip on each other ala Chiefsplanet.

Yep.

Pasta Giant Meatball
08-21-2010, 03:51 PM

It's complete BS that they aren't available on Direct TV to Sunday Ticket subscribers either. I know it's SUNDAY ticket, but still. The Chiefs regular season game against Miami a couple of years ago that was moved up to a Friday wasn't available on Sunday Ticket either and that sucked ass.

Saulbadguy
08-21-2010, 03:55 PM
It will be embarrassing if we can't compete with Tampa Bay. They are a terrible, terrible football team.

notorious
08-21-2010, 03:56 PM
It will be embarrassing if we can't compete with Tampa Bay. They are a terrible, terrible football team.

We are used to it.

go bowe
08-21-2010, 04:00 PM
You know, I'm 38 right now, and I've lived my life my way. When I look back I see good and bad memories, but I don't want those past memories to rule what I am and do today. Good or bad, for that matter. Today is a new day and it'll be good or bad depending on what I do. Now I have no idea what my life is going to be like in five years, or even how it will look when it's over, but I don't want to make my decisions about today based on what I think my future will be or should be.

I know I'm not vocalizing the majority opinion of this board, but why does it HAVE to be

1) everything's Okaaayyyyy, drink the kool-aide, smile at everything.

or

2) Nothing is ok, we've always sucked, we'll always suck, it's been X number of years since I've seen Z results.

Why can't it just be;

3) It's a new year, new group of men competing and working together. I just want to see how it all unfolds. I enjoy the journey.well said...

Pawnmower
08-21-2010, 04:01 PM

http://vipstand.net/sports/american-football.html

Try this one at game time..Remember there is a couple minute delay so it will probably start 2-3 minutes after kick off.

Have fun.

FAX
08-21-2010, 04:05 PM
Uh ... what time exactly are we starting with authority?

FAX

rambleonthruthefog
08-21-2010, 04:08 PM
Yes, people, stop complaining. It's only been 5 years since this team was marginally competitive, what do you want?

patience with the new brass who have been in charge for all of 18 mnths.
patience with a head coach who hasn't even coached his first game of his 2nd season.

Mizzou_8541
08-21-2010, 04:14 PM
http://vipstand.net/sports/american-football.html

Try this one at game time..Remember there is a couple minute delay so it will probably start 2-3 minutes after kick off.

Have fun.

Cool man, thanks!

rambleonthruthefog
08-21-2010, 04:16 PM
and for godsake, could we please get something to be excited about tonight! anything! a cassell completion of more than 25 yds, a sack, or perhaps defeated double team from tjax, a haley rant, anything. a shitty win against a shitty team will do for the time being. just give us something to cheer about for fuksake! i really do get the negativity, its just not my nature to spread it to terribly much.

notorious
08-21-2010, 04:25 PM
a cassell completion of more than 25 yds,.

ROFL ROFL ROFL

milkman
08-21-2010, 04:51 PM
Uh ... what time exactly are we starting with authority?

FAX

7:30 pm central, September 21, 2014.

rambleonthruthefog
08-21-2010, 04:55 PM
6:30 pm central, September 21, 2014.

fixed

Brock
08-21-2010, 06:12 PM
patience with the new brass who have been in charge for all of 18 mnths.
patience with a head coach who hasn't even coached his first game of his 2nd season.

I'm fresh out of patience, sorry.

Misplaced_Chiefs_Fan
08-21-2010, 06:20 PM
I would say the first quarter started out very well (outside of Jones's fumble).

rambleonthruthefog
08-21-2010, 07:05 PM
I'm fresh out of patience, sorry.

what the F do i care? i doubt you had any patience to begin with. as frustrating as it is being a chiefs fan, new leadership gets a full two seasons, maybe three, just like a lot of players before i'm throwing in the towel. no matter how long its been since we won a playoff game.