PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Babb:Offense shows promise, defense frustrates as Chiefs lose 20-15

Tribal Warfare
08-22-2010, 01:30 AM
Offense shows promise, defense frustrates as Chiefs lose 20-15 (http://www.kansascity.com/2010/08/21/2165422/chiefs-buccaneers-tied-at-10-at.html)
By KENT BABB
The Kansas City Star

TAMPA, Fla. | It could be this kind of year. The Chiefs’ offense will give them a chance, and the defense will give the other team a chance.

Saturday night at Raymond James Stadium might have been the first look at how the 2010 season could be defined for the Chiefs: promising offense and frustrating defense. The Chiefs gave the longest look yet to their starters, keeping the first-team units in throughout the first half of their 20-15 preseason loss to Tampa Bay.

When the Chiefs had possession, anything seemed possible. Wide receiver Jeremy Horne could become that surprise playmaker that every other team seems to find, but never the Chiefs. Dwayne Bowe could emerge as the No. 1 receiver that the Chiefs have been waiting years to mature. And Matt Cassel could become the reliable quarterback the front office envisioned when it acquired him last year and signed him to a long-term contract.

Those possibilities looked something like reality Saturday night, especially on a touchdown drive in the first quarter. The Chiefs stole momentum with Javier Arenas’ 54-yard kickoff return, and seven plays later, Cassel found Horne in the end zone.

Then the Chiefs had to play defense, and the optimism started evaporating. The defensive front was porous for a second consecutive week, and the pass rush failed to sack an opposing quarterback.

The old steadies even struggled, cornerbacks Brandon Flowers and Brandon Carr making mistakes this team simply cannot afford. Flowers whiffed on an open-field tackle attempt, and Buccaneers wide receiver Michael Spurlock didn’t stop running until he reached the end zone on a 53-yard touchdown. And credit Carr with the dubious distinction of being flagged for illegal contact in the first half but without preventing a catch.

Yes, it was that kind of night for the Chiefs, and this is what the team’s fans might be watching all season. Chiefs coach Todd Haley said this past week that he was disappointed in how the first-team defense began last week’s preseason loss at Atlanta. Defenders looked uninterested and lethargic, and while they cleared the cobwebs, Falcons rushers Michael Turner and Jason Snelling gave the Chiefs a kind of wake-up call they preferred to avoid.

Something similar happened Saturday, when Carnell Williams and former Kansas State quarterback Josh Freeman had few problems as they moved the Bucs into field-goal range.

The Chiefs’ defense wasn’t supposed to be an intimidating force, but reality isn’t easy to digest. The Chiefs’ draft class was, again, made with an emphasis on defense; taking defenders with two of its top three picks.

The Chiefs’ top two picks last year were ends Tyson Jackson and Alex Magee — neither of whom causes sleepless nights for opposing quarterbacks — and the year before that, lineman Glenn Dorsey was the team’s top selection.

Add that Haley hired coordinator Romeo Crennel, and really, the Chiefs should have a formidable unit that at least appears to be improving. But the inside linebackers are continually in flux, the line rarely overachieves, and that leaves a young and talented secondary that doesn’t have much support when it has a long night.

And Saturday was a long night. It got worse after defensive back Maurice Leggett suffered a neck injury and was carted from the field late in the third quarter. Leggett was hurt while trying to tackle Bucs running back Kareem Huggins, and trainers tended to Leggett, a third-year defender, for about 10 minutes before placing him on a backboard and lifting him onto the cart. Players from both teams gathered on the field as Leggett was being looked at, and the Chiefs formed a semicircle and appeared to pray.

The team didn’t divulge specifics of Leggett’s injury, saying only that he had hurt his neck and that he wouldn’t return.

The Chiefs looked deflated after the injury, allowing Tampa Bay to score 10 points in less than nine minutes. The Chiefs still have time to make adjustments, but after two games, it appears that their biggest hope this season might be one that was a concern all along: that the offense scores plenty of points — and that the defense isn’t often called upon to save the day.

OnTheWarpath58
08-22-2010, 01:39 AM
The Chiefs still have time to make adjustments, but after two games, it appears that their biggest hope this season might be one that was a concern all along: that the offense scores plenty of points — and that the defense isn’t often called upon to save the day.

What fucking planet does Babb live on where 10 points in 4 quarters of work from the 1's this PS is "plenty of points?"

milkman
08-22-2010, 08:23 AM
What ****ing planet does Babb live on where 10 points in 4 quarters of work from the 1's this PS is "plenty of points?"

The Herman fucking Edwards universe where 20 points is Arena football.

The reality is, if you can hold your opponent to 20 points in today's NFL, then you should have a fair chance of coming away with a win.

Deberg_1990
08-22-2010, 08:26 AM
Will Horne make the team? Or Practice Squad?

petegz28
08-22-2010, 08:27 AM
Something similar happened Saturday, when Carnell Williams and former Kansas State quarterback Josh Freeman had few problems as they moved the Bucs into field-goal range.

Babb is a ****ing idiot! We fumbled the ball to the Bucs in our own territory. They didn't have very far to go to get into FG range.

JFC!

petegz28
08-22-2010, 08:27 AM
The Herman ****ing Edwards universe where 20 points is Arena football.

The reality is, if you can hold your opponent to 20 points in today's NFL, then you should have a fair chance of coming away with a win.

I believe Marty said the goal was for the defense to hold a team to 17 points a game.

milkman
08-22-2010, 08:37 AM
I believe Marty said the goal was for the defense to hold a team to 17 points a game.

And how many rules changes have been made since the time Marty was the Chiefs HC that favor the offense?

Ideally, I'd like to hold teams to 17 points (or less), but realistically, 20 points in today's NFL isn't bad.

Baby Lee
08-22-2010, 08:37 AM
What fucking planet does Babb live on where 10 points in 4 quarters of work from the 1's this PS is "plenty of points?"

Where do you get that that is what he's saying? It seems pretty clear that he's saying our HOPE is that the O scores a lot, and the D isn't called on to stand strong. And that it's been a CONCERN all along because the O probably won't score a lot.

petegz28
08-22-2010, 08:38 AM
And how many rules changes have been made since the time Marty was the Chiefs HC that favor the offense?

Ideally, I'd like to hold teams to 17 points (or less), but realistically, 20 points in today's NFL isn't bad.

I was actually agreeing with you.

petegz28
08-22-2010, 08:44 AM
Where do you get that that is what he's saying? It seems pretty clear that he's saying our HOPE is that the O scores a lot, and the D isn't called on to stand strong. And that it's been a CONCERN all along because the O probably won't score a lot.

Our defensive starters have held the other teams' starters to 10 points in each of the games.

milkman
08-22-2010, 08:46 AM
I was actually agreeing with you.

Well, okay.

Fuck you then.

:D

threebag02
08-22-2010, 08:48 AM
When we go to an eighteen game season. We will never even sniff the playoffs let alone .500.

CaliforniaChief
08-22-2010, 08:49 AM
What did you guys expect to read this morning?

"The team looked to deliver the kiss of death but ended up planting a wet juicy kiss on a man's neck."

Mr. Arrowhead
08-22-2010, 08:53 AM
im waiting to read whitlock article, is it out yet?

petegz28
08-22-2010, 08:57 AM
My God, this is just insane. I just looked it up...

Jones fumbled on the KC 36. TB kicked a 31 yard FG. So that means they only moved the ball about 20 yards before they were forced to kick the FG.

But that doesn't stop Babb from saying something stupid like...."Something similar happened Saturday, when Carnell Williams and former Kansas State quarterback Josh Freeman had few problems as they moved the Bucs into field-goal range. "

They were damn near given the ball in FG range. They didn't have to go very far to get into FG range. It's ****ing amazing how people come up with stupid comments likle this.

Red Brooklyn
08-22-2010, 10:21 AM

I'll go ahead and say "team." Call it my first prediction of the season. :D

InChiefsHell
08-22-2010, 10:42 AM
This article is the height of stupidity. The defense did a pretty good job. TB was able to complete some long passes though, and it sucked that they got the TD off of Flowers missing the tackle when there was no safety support...but it's pre-season. No sacks, but plenty of pressure on the QB. It's a work in progress...Babb is an idiot...

Pushead2
08-22-2010, 10:48 AM
What did you guys expect to read this morning?

"The team looked to deliver the kiss of death but ended up planting a wet juicy kiss on a man's neck."

ROFL

Bwana
08-22-2010, 10:49 AM
If I read much more of this jackhole, it's going to make me pine away for Whitlock. :shake: What a clown.

http://www.funwarehouse.co.uk/acatalog/clown_shoes_s25519.jpg

Sweet Daddy Hate
08-22-2010, 10:49 AM
This Babb fellow is teh awesome!

:facepalm:

milkman
08-22-2010, 10:51 AM
What's he Babbling about this time?

CaliforniaChief
08-22-2010, 11:01 AM
I hate to say it but I was almost glad to see T. Jones fumble on his first carry. I want it to be so blatantly obvious that Charles needs to be the main RB in our offense that even Kent Babb would know it.

There's simply no deep threat...no middle of the field threat over 15 yards, and as a result, decreased opportunities to make plays for the burners on the short plays. The dink and dunk stuff is devastatingly effective...and exponentially more in our offense...IF we had a deep threat.

One option is to run more double moves...like we did against Pittsburgh. Defenses are so conditioned to us going quick and short that it works wonders.

IF Cassel can accurately deliver the ball.

I am still hoping...but concerned.

boogblaster
08-22-2010, 11:11 AM
I really don't think Jones will be the starter come season start .. as far as the D looking bad other than Flowers missing that tackle it looked ok .. we got pressure most of the time ... no sacks but some pressure ....

Sweet Daddy Hate
08-22-2010, 11:17 AM
I really don't think Jones will be the starter come season start .. as far as the D looking bad other than Flowers missing that tackle it looked ok .. we got pressure most of the time ... no sacks but some pressure ....

It'll get better, but we need one true stud MLB.

Saccopoo
08-22-2010, 11:51 AM
It'll get better, but we need one true stud MLB.

http://spartyon.fantake.com/files/2010/07/Greg-Jones-MSU.jpg

KCChiefsFan88
08-22-2010, 11:54 AM
Blabb is getting a little carried away with his praise of the offense.

Yes they looked better than they did in the Atlanta game... that is relative considering they looked like absolute shit in that game. And yes they played better than the defense (which again is relative considering how poorly the defense looked).

But the reality is this offense still lacks big play capabilities in the passing game and has a QB who is looking more and more like Steve Bono 2.0.

Valiant
08-22-2010, 01:05 PM

Well hopefully they do not try and practice squad him, just for him to be picked up by someone else.. He actually looks like a NFL WR out there compared to what we have had in the past..

Warrior5
08-22-2010, 02:49 PM

I know, but it's still damned disheartening. The Chiefs entered the '09 season with a porous run D, weak QB pressure, and a crappy right-side O-line.

I know it's pre-season. And I know that Atlanta has the potential to contend this year. But for the second week in a row, and against Tampa ****ing Bay of all teams, the Chiefs are exhibiting the same flaws they had a year ago.:banghead:

Maybe that's Haley's plan... lull the AFC West into complacency with continued shitty play, then WHAM! The Chargers get blind-sided on MNF!

Yeah, that's the ticket...:hmmm:

Sweet Daddy Hate
08-22-2010, 02:51 PM
I know, but it's still damned disheartening. The Chiefs entered the '09 season with a porous run D, weak QB pressure, and a crappy right-side O-line.

I know it's pre-season. And I know that Atlanta has the potential to contend this year. But for the second week in a row, and against Tampa ****ing Bay of all teams, the Chiefs are exhibiting the same flaws they had a year ago.:banghead:

Maybe that's Haley's plan... lull the AFC West into complacency with continued shitty play, then WHAM! The Chargers get blind-sided on MNF!

Yeah, that's the ticket...:hmmm:

That'll work.