PDA

View Full Version : U.S. Issues LGBT protest at target

healthpellets
08-23-2010, 01:31 PM
have you seen this?

seems that target donated some cash to a politician that doesn't support gay marriage. and in retaliation, some LGBT supporters set up shop inside a Target store.

poor Target...you don't get to exercise your free speech rights without being shouted down.

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/v1inmoke76E?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/v1inmoke76E?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

InChiefsHell
08-23-2010, 01:41 PM
Makes me want to shop at Target...talk about people who need to get a life. I thought the manager handled it pretty well. I would think they could have been arrested for trespassing, especially since they commandeered the PA system microphone.

Bwana
08-23-2010, 01:58 PM
Wow, what a bunch of freaks.

blaise
08-23-2010, 02:07 PM
Makes me want to shop at Target...talk about people who need to get a life. I thought the manager handled it pretty well. I would think they could have been arrested for trespassing, especially since they commandeered the PA system microphone.

Yeah, I really don't know what people like that think they're accomplishing. So, you want to influence people to come to your side of thinking by going into a store and acting like an annoying, juvenile jackass. I would wager any one of the customers who watched their act is more likely to think more favorably toward Target than they would toward these people. And why are you giving a hard time to the Target employees? They're there working, probably making not much money, and you need to go in and accost the lady? Why, because you can't figure out a way to better articulate your position is a respectful, intelligent manner? They just looked like a group of douchebags.

irishjayhawk
08-23-2010, 03:05 PM
poor Target...you don't get to exercise your free speech rights without being shouted down.

That's just fucking stupid.

1) Even though it's legal, I disagree with the courts that corporations have the same rights as people.

2) It's no different than when the President weighs in on something and people shout him down. I don't see too many people going around saying "poor President, you don't get to exercise your free speech rights without being shouted down." Instead, you get bullshit about how unprofessional or out of place the comments are. Those comments saying he doesn't understand public relations. You know these types of comments.

3) Relatedly, Target should have seen this coming. It's a huge PR gaffe.

healthpellets
08-23-2010, 03:25 PM
That's just ****ing stupid.

1) Even though it's legal, I disagree with the courts that corporations have the same rights as people.

2) It's no different than when the President weighs in on something and people shout him down. I don't see too many people going around saying "poor President, you don't get to exercise your free speech rights without being shouted down." Instead, you get bullshit about how unprofessional or out of place the comments are. Those comments saying he doesn't understand public relations. You know these types of comments.

In response to point 3, bullshit. So corporations can only donate to those supporting gay marriage? So only democrats? Or risk having their properties invaded by assholes? What a great way to chill political speech.

blaise
08-23-2010, 03:27 PM

People were saying 'poor politicians' when people in crowds at town hall rallies were shouting stuff about health care. In fact, they were being labelled nazis by people like Nancy Pelosi, and we were being told it was a grave danger to civil discussion. And people did say 'poor Obama' when that guy yelled, "you're a liar' at him".

And I don't think it's that huge a PR gaffe for Target. I would label it mild. I doubt it will have much, if any effect, on sales.

And what do you mean that the corporation doesn't have the same rights? They can't donate money to political causes? What do you mean by that?

stevieray
08-23-2010, 03:50 PM

know how everyone knows you're gay?

King_Chief_Fan
08-23-2010, 03:57 PM
Yeah, I really don't know what people like that think they're accomplishing. So, you want to influence people to come to your side of thinking by going into a store and acting like an annoying, juvenile jackass. I would wager any one of the customers who watched their act is more likely to think more favorably toward Target than they would toward these people. And why are you giving a hard time to the Target employees? They're there working, probably making not much money, and you need to go in and accost the lady? Why, because you can't figure out a way to better articulate your position is a respectful, intelligent manner? They just looked like a group of douchebags.

think I will go buy some target stock

Carlota69
08-23-2010, 04:01 PM

This x10! What the hell did the target employee do to anyone??? Thats bad ju-ju right there..

However, this is a huge PR gaffe for Target. Its bad business to turn off any percentage of your customer base--especially one with disposable income.

I am an on-air personality, and I NEVER state my political opinions about anything on air because I may turn off a percentage of my audience. I learned that right away, within the first year of my career.

Although Target has a right to donate whatever they want to whomever they want, its bad biz. Just like it would be if they donated to Planned Parenthood, or Pro-life groups or Black Panthers, or Godhatesfags.com or candidates who believe in white power. Its not smart to put your political views/dollars out there when you are in the business of attracting customers--has many as you can. Bad biz. but the gay groups pulling this shit arent doing anyone favors. Thats for sure.

chiefsnorth
08-23-2010, 04:03 PM
Target is a business, as such they exist to make money. Of course they are casting their lot with Republicans right now. The DFL is only promising even more onerous taxation.

I personally am giving them grocery biz that I was not previously because of this. I doubt their insignificant boycott will even make a dent - especially not when you consider what they have to lose if the DFL candidates follow through on promises to eviscerate everyone who has any money left.

Frazod
08-23-2010, 04:15 PM

Gotta love these groups that think they can make a difference by annoying or disrupting the lives of people who have ABSOLUTELY NO POWER OVER ANYTHING. Yeah, fucking with the $10 per hour Target guy is really going to make a difference. Idiots.

A few years ago a group of pissed off wheelchair douchebags took over the State of Illinois Building across the street from my office, completely blocking off the food court in the basement. I didn't know anything about it until I headed over to get lunch. Of course the cops wouldn't do anything to them, so the entire food court was shut down. I guess the employees of those restaurants were shit out of luck for a paycheck that day, but hey, a bunch of surly crippled pricks protesting in an ADA COMPLIANT BUILDING meant more than a couple of hundred low wage employees trying to make ends meet. And who did they think they were disrupting? I don't recall seeing many high ranking government officials or corporate CEOs standing in line at Burger King or Taco Bell, so chances are all they did was offend a bunch of regular people like me.

But I'll remember that the next time I'm voting and there's some sort of handicapped issue on the ballot.

HonestChieffan
08-23-2010, 04:28 PM
Lefties loved Target when they wouldn't let the Salvation Army collect donations for their Christian cause. Now Lefties have their panties in a wad cause Target makes a decision thats not a wackjob leftie favorite.

Im all for Target. I plan to go buy something there even if I don't need it.

Garcia Bronco
08-23-2010, 04:32 PM
No one gives a shit about gays.
No one gives a shit about Target and a contribution

All they did is waste their time. They aren't putting dent in Targets bottom line even if every gay out there stopped shopping at target.

headsnap
08-23-2010, 04:34 PM
was Gay Marriage the reason Target donated the money?

:shrug:

Oucho Cinco
08-23-2010, 04:35 PM
I'm going to Target tonight so if they are there I can take their little handout and tear it up and make confetti out of it.

The lady(it) in the video probably drove the short bus over to Target.

Saul Good
08-23-2010, 05:02 PM
Yet another in a long list of reasons why say that I support equal rights for gays in spite of the people on my side of the issue rather than because of it.

I sure as hell am not going to sign any petitions or donate any money to the cause because of things precisely like this. I feel the same way about smoking bans. I don't smoke, but I think laws against smoking in private businesses are ridiculous. That said, I find many smokers to be rude and inconsiderate, so I'm not going to lose any sleep over them getting screwed.

fan4ever
08-23-2010, 05:31 PM
I don't even think those people were gay; not to be too stereotypical, but most gays I've met have a hell of a lot more intelligence than those idiots. Probably just losers looking for a cause...while unitentionally moving it backwards.

Saul Good
08-23-2010, 05:34 PM
Probably just a fga hag.

vailpass
08-23-2010, 05:49 PM

LMAO

Reaper16
08-23-2010, 06:54 PM
That was pretty cool. Dissent is fun.

Saul Good
08-23-2010, 08:12 PM
That was pretty cool. Dissent is fun.

Rage against the $8.00 per hour employee machine.

Reaper16
08-23-2010, 08:32 PM
Rage against the $8.00 per hour employee machine.
They made it with the intent to have it go viral. They made it for internet discussion. The protest wasn't against that particular Target or its employees.

vailpass
08-23-2010, 08:32 PM
Thank God there are still places where you can jackstomp the living shit out of nutbags like this that invade your place of business.

Saul Good
08-23-2010, 08:36 PM
They made it with the intent to have it go viral. They made it for internet discussion. The protest wasn't against that particular Target or its employees.

I would submit that it's doing much more harm than good. Nobody sitting on the fence is going to think to themselves, "that's a well-reasoned argument. I really want to identify myself with people like that."

I am as conservative a person as you will ever find supporting gay marriage, and this kind of thing makes me want to say "f*** 'em".

blaise
08-23-2010, 09:09 PM

Most of the discussion seems to be about them being a-holes, though.

Mr. Kotter
08-23-2010, 09:23 PM
:spock:

R U really this fuggin' stupid? Seriously....

I mean....

"Time, manner, and place" restrictions...

PRIVATE property, PRIVATE business in a capitalist/free market world...

Free speech protections are targeted, targeted primarily at politically motivated speech...not profane whining/tirades and irrational and inappropriate "ranting."

But, hey....facts don't really matter to dunderheaded moonbats OR teabaggers...

:rolleyes:

Mr. Kotter
08-23-2010, 09:26 PM
Most of the discussion seems to be about them being a-holes, though.

Yep. Profane, inappropriate assholes--like the gay rights parade crowd. The "in-your-face!" crowd.

Pioli Zombie
08-23-2010, 10:17 PM
I would have liked to grab all the Bette Midler CDs I could find and burn the fuck out of them in front of those cupcakes.

Pioli Zombie
08-23-2010, 10:19 PM
Yep. Profane, inappropriate assholes--like the gay rights parade crowd. The "in-your-face!" crowd.
In your face. It always cracked me up when people use the term "shoving their lifestyle down my throat" when discussing Gay issues.

Dallas Chief
08-23-2010, 10:36 PM
Really. Homeless queer youth? I had no idea there was a movement against them.

Mr. Kotter
08-23-2010, 10:41 PM
In your face. It always cracked me up when people use the term "shoving their lifestyle down my throat" when discussing Gay issues.

And, rightfully so, 'cause it is funny.

Heh. LMAO

Reaper16
08-23-2010, 10:43 PM
I would submit that it's doing much more harm than good. Nobody sitting on the fence is going to think to themselves, "that's a well-reasoned argument. I really want to identify myself with people like that."

I am as conservative a person as you will ever find supporting gay marriage, and this kind of thing makes me want to say "f*** 'em".
As to your first paragraph: It isn't doing any harm. No good either; its too immature. But no harm. Anyone who would think about changing their minds based on getting ticked off at some kids is a fucking fool.

As to your second paragraph: you might be a fucking fool.

Mr. Kotter
08-23-2010, 10:48 PM
As to your first paragraph: It isn't doing any harm. No good either; its too immature. But no harm. Anyone who would think about changing their minds based on getting ticked off at some kids is a ****ing fool.

As to your second paragraph: you might be a ****ing fool.

How fuggin' out-of-touch are you, G-D precious....the hilarity is mind-boggling--unless you're queer.... LMAO

NTTAWWT, of course. :rolleyes:

Reaper16
08-23-2010, 10:50 PM
How fuggin' out-of-touch are you, G-D precious....the hilarity is mind-boggling--unless you're queer.... LMAO
I don't think I'm out of touch with anything. I simply think that someone whose mind isn't already made up is not going to be swayed by this stunt/prank.

Mr. Kotter
08-23-2010, 10:51 PM
I don't think I'm out of touch with anything. I simply think that someone whose mind isn't already made up is not going to be swayed by this stunt/prank.

Uh-huh.... ROFL LMAO

Duck Dog
08-23-2010, 11:00 PM
A couple of musings.

1. Is that the best material they could come up with? She never really told the shoppers what their beef was about. It sounded more of like an anti-corporate America stunt. Weak.

2. Lesbians are horrible dressers.

3. The young manager handled it perfectly and her bodyguard looked ready to whip some ass.

Reaper16
08-24-2010, 12:48 AM
Uh-huh.... ROFL LMAO
I can't read this reaction. I am definitely out of touch with whatever it is that you are.

patteeu
08-24-2010, 02:13 AM

When was the last time you heard a President shouted down? :spock:

Chocolate Hog
08-24-2010, 02:27 AM

Liberals did it a few years ago to George Bush at KU.

These people are morons though.

DenverChief
08-24-2010, 05:25 AM
I would think they could have been arrested for trespassing, especially since they commandeered the PA system microphone.

You have to be warned first before being arrested, once told they had to leave they did leave--they could only have been arrested if they refused--and they brought their own PA they didn't commandeer anything--

irishjayhawk
08-24-2010, 05:37 AM

Daily, but his political enemies (and sometimes allies).

DenverChief
08-24-2010, 05:40 AM

generalizations about a group of people whereby we attribute a defined set of characteristics to this group.

irrational fear of, aversion to, or discrimination against homosexuality or homosexuals

a person who is utterly intolerant of any differing creed, belief, or opinion.

If you can figure out the definitions of those three I'm impressed, but congratulations on pigeon holing yourself

And before you point the finger back at me, I have nothing against Christians or Christianity, I don't discriminate against them (other than to ask to not have their religious beliefs forced on me by MY Government) and I'm not advocating for any law that will force the above mentioned group to recognize my marriage only my government, which contrary to popular belief is not a Christian government, it is a government of the people and by the people be they Gay, Straight, Black, White, Hispanic, Muslim, Jewish, Hindu, Immigrant, or Natural Born Citizen.

Al of these people are entitled to equal treatment by their government, not special treatment because their religion opposes so aspect of one person or another. If you want to gather in your church and rail on about whatever minority group then go ahead just don't expect MY Government to participate in your hate.

InChiefsHell
08-24-2010, 06:24 AM
was Gay Marriage the reason Target donated the money?

:shrug:

DINGDINGDING!

This is so friggin' stupid...

InChiefsHell
08-24-2010, 06:24 AM
You have to be warned first before being arrested, once told they had to leave they did leave--they could only have been arrested if they refused--and they brought their own PA they didn't commandeer anything--

Oh, from the video it sounded like they actually were on the Store PA.

InChiefsHell
08-24-2010, 06:26 AM

That was going to be my question...when oh when did Obama, or any President, get "shouted down"? That's one of the dumbest things IJH has ever posted..and he's a pretty smart guy...usually.

Saul Good
08-24-2010, 06:55 AM

That's because you live in your own, detached from reality world. I am telling you that I support the cause but don't donate or campaign for the issue because of shit like this.

patteeu
08-24-2010, 02:12 PM
Daily, but his political enemies (and sometimes allies).

Do you expect anyone to take you seriously with boneheaded statements like this?

irishjayhawk
08-24-2010, 03:42 PM
Do you expect anyone to take you seriously with boneheaded statements like this?

"shouted down" was his wording, not mine. I chose an interpretation that meant Target was taking vocal flak for their actions. Presidents do, likewise.

So, my statement makes perfect sense.

Saul Good
08-24-2010, 03:46 PM
"shouted down" was his wording, not mine. I chose an interpretation that meant Target was taking vocal flak for their actions. Presidents do, likewise.

Target literally had losers shouting obscenities in their stores.

InChiefsHell
08-24-2010, 03:50 PM

The President does not get shouted down. Ever.

LOCOChief
08-24-2010, 03:54 PM

ROFL

irishjayhawk
08-24-2010, 04:04 PM
Target literally had losers shouting obscenities in their stores.

And Presidents have had people yell at him at events.

And Target is hardly getting "shouted down" from their views or right to free speech, which was the part of his post I took issue with. I specifically quoted it.