PDA

View Full Version : Legal Judge refuses to stop missouri's new anti strip club law

healthpellets
08-27-2010, 03:46 PM
http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5jO5MkPoWFOWDrCFzn3pwwCWYfjrwD9HS0JNG0

so in the current economic climate, the state of missouri has decided that reducing tax revenues and increasing unemployment is a good path to travel.

i hope that every single legislator that supported this bill, along with Nixon who signed it, lose their seat this year and following years.

the a$$hole who has sponsored this POS legislation every year he's been in the legislature, Matt "I'm scared of naked ladies" Bartle is out of the senate anyway. and i truly hope he enters a subsequent profession that is legislated out of existence by the legislature. it would serve him right.

it's a really simple proposition. if you don't like strip clubs, don't go there. if you don't like adult bookstores, don't go there.

thank you for imposing your morality on the entire state, you pieces of $hit.

The nudity must stop at Missouri strip clubs. So must the lap dances and booze. And all sexually oriented businesses must abide by a midnight closing time.

Missouri's wide-ranging limitations on sexual businesses will take effect Saturday after a state judge on Friday denied a request from a coalition of sexual store owners and erotic dancers to temporarily block the new law.

Cole County Circuit Judge Jon Beetem said the coalition had failed to show their lawsuit is likely to ultimately succeed or that they will suffer irreparable harm by allowing the law to take effect.

"The law will undoubtedly change the business practices" of strip clubs, adult video and book stores and other businesses of a sexual nature, Beetem wrote in his ruling, "and they will likely suffer some economic loss.
"But economic loss alone does not alter the analysis of the legal issues," Beetem said.

Jenson71
08-27-2010, 03:58 PM
Do you think the judge should have stopped it?

healthpellets
08-27-2010, 04:12 PM
Do you think the judge should have stopped it?

yes, on 1st amendment grounds.

Jenson71
08-27-2010, 04:21 PM
yes, on 1st amendment grounds.

Strip clubs are constitutionally protected speech?

Baby Lee
08-27-2010, 04:27 PM
Strip clubs are constitutionally protected speech?

They're not?

Jenson71
08-27-2010, 04:28 PM
They're not?

Why would they be?

Baby Lee
08-27-2010, 04:34 PM
Why would they be?

I'd appreciate your making a case for your side, as I endeavor to foment an argument.

Which is, what differentiates strip club activity from the rest of what is considered speech, at its base the exchange of visual and/or aural information.

How's it different from a play, or a demonstration, or a protest, or burning a flag?

If touching is involved, that certainly adds an additional sensory dimension of information exchange, but I'm not sure that's all that qualitatively different.

healthpellets
08-27-2010, 04:37 PM
Why would they be?

i thought the majority of america understood this.

http://www.law.cornell.edu/supct/html/historics/USSC_CR_0452_0061_ZS.html

An entertainment program may not be prohibited solely because it displays a nude human figure, and nude dancing is not without its First Amendment protection from official regulation.

Dave Lane
08-27-2010, 04:38 PM
I've always been a big fan of legislated morality.

healthpellets
08-27-2010, 04:42 PM
I've always been a big fan of legislated morality.

seriously. like there aren't bigger issues than whether a strip club can stay open after midnight.

DaneMcCloud
08-27-2010, 04:43 PM
Talk about a Fascist state.

Baby Lee
08-27-2010, 04:53 PM
i thought the majority of america understood this.

http://www.law.cornell.edu/supct/html/historics/USSC_CR_0452_0061_ZS.html

Or that a majority of Missourians had passing knowledge that this same law was struck down in 2005 on 1st Amendment Grounds.

http://www.firstamendmentcenter.org/news.aspx?id=15718

"The state may not limit persons of majority age from engaging in lawful expressive conduct protected by the First Amendment of the United States Constitution without a substantial and direct connection to adverse secondary effects, a showing that has not been made,"

|Zach|
08-27-2010, 05:10 PM
Bad for the city. It will hurt convention business.

orange
08-27-2010, 05:30 PM
Bad for the city. It will hurt convention business.

This is why you need women to sit on Boards of Directors. When considering where to hold a convention, a few women at the table will prevent the strip club merits of different cities from being brought up.

healthpellets
08-27-2010, 05:55 PM
This is why you need women to sit on Boards of Directors. When considering where to hold a convention, a few women at the table will prevent the strip club merits of different cities from being brought up.

not exactly a convincing argument for diversity.