PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs My Thoughts on the First Half

'Hamas' Jenkins
08-27-2010, 08:14 PM
My thoughts:

1<sup>st</sup> Series

That fumble is all on Charles, and is one of his only weaknesses.

The front seven got absolutely annihilated at the POA on the McCoy run, and McGraw took himself out of the play. He just cannot start for this team, he does nothing well.

2<sup>nd</sup> Series
Cassel has to hold on to the ball in situations where he is going to get hit.

Moeaki has to know that you can’t run a 5 yard in on a 3<sup>rd</sup> and 7.

HOLY SHIT, A SACK!!

Arenas has the ability to get small in tight spaces, which is a great attribute for a KR. It’s also why Charles can gain so much yardage with subpar blocking.
<o></o>
3<sup>rd</sup> Series

Cassel seems to be completely unwilling to stay in the pocket for the extra second. I don’t know why he wouldn’t at least look for a check down if all the downfield options are covered. That 3<sup>rd</sup> down pick was on Cassel, although it will probably be called a “drop” because Brokaki got his hands on it, despite the fact that he had to reach completely across his body. Bad decision, bad play call. Too many guys were near that pass, so some of it could be put on Brokaki.

I don’t know why you wouldn’t middle blitz with Vick in the shotgun on 3<sup>rd</sup> and short.

Great play on the ball by Eric Berry.

Tyson Jackson is getting manhandled by the RT, and Edwards got his taint handed to him on 4<sup>th</sup> and inches.

Corey Mays sucks, but he can hit like a Mack truck. Jesus.

How did we not sack or touch Kolb on 3<sup>rd</sup> and 7 I have no fucking idea. Our NT has to get more push than that.

Vrabel doesn’t have much left physically, but he has helped keep a lot of medium gains from being big ones just because he’s in the right spots.

Before the false start, Magee lined up at NT. Might be a development to watch over time.

4<sup>th</sup> Series

Really good blocking by the STers, and McCluster used it very well, which was wasted by the dumb fuck penalty. That should cost Herron his job.

Charles is like a 5* back on a 2* team in NCAA. He is the definition of burst. Thomas Jones really shouldn’t be much other than a closer for us.

That 3<sup>rd</sup> and 2 play is what is going to happen all year if we don’t make a commitment to go down the field. We’ll get blitzed a lot and they’ll drop their other defenders into short zones. That was almost a sack and a pick.

Maclin had Carr beat and just dropped it. He closed on it somewhat, but that still should have been caught.

Arenas is like mercury.

5<sup>th</sup> Series

Good pick from Bowe, and Cassel put it in a spot where only his guy could get it. The line has to do a better job on 3<sup>rd</sup> and inches than that.

Kolb has been really inaccurate tonight. Good pursuit and motor by Studebaker, even if it was a coverage sack. None of our other OLBs aside from Hali can beat a tackle around the edge like that.

6<sup>th</sup> Series

Jones made a great cut on the swing pass. Bowe is flashing signs of his 2008 form. It’s so difficult for corners to tackle him 1 on 1. McCluster still looks pretty limited inside the tackles. In some ways, Battle almost seems like a better compliment to Charles than Jones.

B-Rich has done very well tonight. He should be the RT.

Jesus fuck, the “Ass Whippee of the week” should be renamed the “Dexter McCluster Award”.

Cassel is displaying solid accuracy on the short routes, but had he led Bowe properly on 3<sup>rd</sup> and 6, he would have scored.

Our offense will struggle in the G2G if we have to use the flats for our passing game.

Should have been PI on 2<sup>nd</sup> and goal, but it was a poor decision.

Great pass to Bowe. He needs to trust his arm more often. That was a tight spot and he fit it in there.

I wish we would have picked up AQ Shipley when he was available for free last year. *sigh*

Good play by Studebaker, but horrible assignment blocking by the Eagles.

Jason Peters is one of the most overrated players in the NFL. DJ just KTFO’d Mike Bell.

7<sup>th</sup> series

Findthedr just shot his wad…Trevor Laws sighting. Charles continues to impress and amaze with his explosive ability.

Looking at our problems in the 2 minute drill, I think that it’s indicative of how our intermediate to deep passing game will struggle. Charles is

80% of our offense, Bowe is 15%, and everyone else makes up the 5%

Bowe saved us a pick six. Cassel showed good elusiveness on the negated play to McCluster, but that holding call was a bit sketchy.
<o>

</o> Overall, it wasn’t a great performance, but it was acceptable. I’d say it was probably a C+ performance by the O and D, with the KR units getting an A-. Kick coverage was a C-.

B-Rich, Studebaker, DJ, Belcher, and Charles should start.
<o>
</o>

Saul Good
08-27-2010, 08:27 PM
Bowe might have scored if Cassel had led him more, but it was the right throw for the situation. If it was first or second down, you lead him. On third down, you put it on his body.

Analysis was pretty much spot on. The defense played really well considering the fact that we turned it over a couple of times.

dirk digler
08-27-2010, 08:29 PM
Bowe might have scored if Cassel had led him more, but it was the right throw for the situation. If it was first or second down, you lead him. On third down, you put it on his body.

Analysis was pretty much spot on. The defense played really well considering the fact that we turned it over a couple of times.

It was a shitty ass throw he had to turn all the way around to catch it.

the Talking Can
08-27-2010, 08:31 PM
Berry was flashing all over....he's an inch away from several great plays

Cassel was lucky as hell that lb dropped an easy int at the goal line...he threw it right to him...but nice play following it...prior to that drive he was pretty much ass

the D really picked up some swagger after the first 2 series...credit our safeties and studebaker, it was contagious...Crennel called a great game, he pwned Kolb

Other than the perfect pass it looked like Maclin dropped, and the one sack evasion, Kolb did not impress me...

running game is defintly our strength

albert..man...struggling

-King-
08-27-2010, 08:34 PM

Cassel was lucky as hell that lb dropped an easy int at the goal line...he threw it right to him...but nice play following it...prior to that drive he was pretty much ass

the D really picked up some swagger after the first 2 series...credit our safeties and studebaker, it was contagious...Crennel called a great game, he pwned Kolb

Other than the perfect pass it looked like Maclin dropped, and the one sack evasion, Kolb did not impress me...

albert..man...struggling
I'm pretty sure they didn't show this on the eagles feed, but on the Chiefs feed, they showed Carr stripping the ball away.

Other than that, you're right on.

keg in kc
08-27-2010, 08:35 PM
It was like two different teams before and after that silly penalty Philly got on the punt. No idea why, but they destroyed us early and we've destroyed them since. So I feel better now than I did about 90 minutes ago, which is one of the reasons I don't hop on the net and start bitching during game threads. Although they've moved the ball, the play calling tells me they're still terrified by the o-line's "pass protection". And it looks like that's for a good reason.

Hate seeing Sheffield go down. That really puts a cloud over the second half.

the Talking Can
08-27-2010, 08:37 PM
I'm pretty sure they didn't show this on the eagles feed, but on the Chiefs feed, they showed Carr stripping the ball away.

Other than that, you're right on.

lol...they didn't show it..went on about how maclin dropped it

-King-
08-27-2010, 08:37 PM
lol...they didn't show it..went on about how maclin dropped it

Haha thought so.

dirk digler
08-27-2010, 08:39 PM
It was like two different teams before and after that silly penalty Philly got on the punt. No idea why, but they destroyed us early and we've destroyed them since. So I feel better now than I did about 90 minutes ago, which is one of the reasons I don't hop on the net and start bitching during game threads. Although they've moved the ball, the play calling tells me they're still terrified by the o-line's "pass protection". And it looks like that's for a good reason.

Hate seeing Sheffield go down. That really puts a cloud over the second half.

I agree but I still feel shitty about our QB play. I know it is beating a dead horse but he really hampers this offense.

'Hamas' Jenkins
08-27-2010, 08:39 PM
One of the things that you can tell is how much G-Rob Pendergast had in him.

I'm not super impressed with Weis to this point, but Crennel has called a good game.

Pasta Little Brioni
08-27-2010, 08:45 PM
Nice takes.

keg in kc
08-27-2010, 08:50 PM
I agree but I still feel shitty about our QB play. I know it is beating a dead horse but he really hampers this offense.Could be. For me, it's hard to tell one way or the other when he's under constant pressure (usually coming right up the gut). When he has a pocket and can get into a rhythm he seems to be fine (last week, parts of the 2nd/3rd quarter this week). I'd like to see them go downfield more than they have, but it looks to me like they can't, because there isn't time.

I also think some of the problems could be playcall related. I'm not sure how much Weis is actually trying to do right now, schematically. It still seems to be very, very conservative, with a lot of first down runs, a lot of 2nd and long passing, and very little in the way of aggressive playcalling on 3rd and short. Not a whole lot of personnel and formation shifting. I'm hoping that's not what we're going to see in September.

We'll see what happens when the games count.

Sweet Daddy Hate
08-27-2010, 09:33 PM
Could be. For me, it's hard to tell one way or the other when he's under constant pressure (usually coming right up the gut). When he has a pocket and can get into a rhythm he seems to be fine (last week, parts of the 2nd/3rd quarter this week). I'd like to see them go downfield more than they have, but it looks to me like they can't, because there isn't time.

I also think some of the problems could be playcall related. I'm not sure how much Weis is actually trying to do right now, schematically. It still seems to be very, very conservative, with a lot of first down runs, a lot of 2nd and long passing, and very little in the way of aggressive playcalling on 3rd and short. Not a whole lot of personnel and formation shifting. I'm hoping that's not what we're going to see in September.

Yep. I'm holding back before I let fly this year on the super-slim off-chance that the offensive playcalling right now isn't being geared towards a win.

boogblaster
08-27-2010, 09:36 PM
pretty much right on everything ..

dirk digler
08-27-2010, 09:41 PM
Could be. For me, it's hard to tell one way or the other when he's under constant pressure (usually coming right up the gut). When he has a pocket and can get into a rhythm he seems to be fine (last week, parts of the 2nd/3rd quarter this week). I'd like to see them go downfield more than they have, but it looks to me like they can't, because there isn't time.

He maybe facing some pressure but there was several instances where he had plenty of time and crapped his pants.

I agree with you about the play calling and we won't know until Monday night.

-King-
08-27-2010, 09:42 PM
What did you mean about Arenas being like Mercury.

Priest31kc
08-27-2010, 09:43 PM
I too think the playcalling isn't what its going to be in the regular season. Weis knows theres no way in hell we can just throw to the flats and 8 yard passes all year long. And we haven't really gotten McCluster involved in the passing game, maybe thats by design to hide it from SD, IDK.

Sweet Daddy Hate
08-27-2010, 09:45 PM
What did you mean about Arenas being like Mercury.

Prolly the little guy with wings on his shoes.

the Talking Can
08-27-2010, 09:52 PM
I too think the playcalling isn't what its going to be in the regular season. Weis knows theres no way in hell we can just throw to the flats and 8 yard passes all year long. And we haven't really gotten McCluster involved in the passing game, maybe thats by design to hide it from SD, IDK.

really?

we're hiding the 'down field pass'?

FloridaMan88
08-27-2010, 09:59 PM
Cassel looks like absolute shit... I don't see how anyone can see anything other than a pending disaster this season.

Spott
08-27-2010, 09:59 PM
Watched the 1st quarter and a half so far on NFL network. San Diego is going to kill us on national tv in a couple of weeks. Maybe they can move that game until a 2:00am kickoff so noone will see it.

FloridaMan88
08-27-2010, 10:04 PM
Watched the 1st quarter and a half so far on NFL network. San Diego is going to kill us on national tv in a couple of weeks. Maybe they can move that game until a 2:00am kickoff so noone will see it.

Clark is apparently more excited about all the fireworks/pregame festivities taking place for the game.

Pretty pathetic that the Chiefs have to become as gimmicky as the Royals to get asses in the seats of Arrowhead Stadium.

Perhaps Clark and his cronies should look at what filled Arrowhead Stadium back in the '90s... something called winning.

aturnis
08-27-2010, 10:15 PM

albert..man...struggling

First Hamas now you. You really need to give BCarr some credit, he made a great play. Maclin DID NOT drop the ball, Brandon got his hand in the bread basket and poked that fucker free.

SAUTO
08-27-2010, 10:20 PM
carr made a really good play.

and good takes hamas.
Posted via Mobile Device

ChiefaRoo
08-27-2010, 10:23 PM
Carr is not KC's problem. Might as well leave him alone. Cassel is not a threat throwing deep at all.

Enjoyed DJ's hit on that screen.

The Chiefs are gettting better but it's going to take more players and more player development. They'll be fun to watch this year but it'll be next year before they start making real noise.

wazu
08-27-2010, 10:24 PM
really?

we're hiding the 'down field pass'?

No, not hiding. They just know that they have already mastered that aspect of the game, so why even work on it?

aturnis
08-27-2010, 10:25 PM

That would be Hermes.

I think he's saying that he can squeeze into tight ass spot and come out whole on the other side, like Mercury.

OnTheWarpath15
08-27-2010, 10:30 PM
I think Carr got his hand in on that throw to Maclin.

Otherwise, I think you're spot on.

Dave Lane
08-27-2010, 11:05 PM
Cassel looks like absolute shit... I don't see how anyone can see anything other than a pending disaster this season.

Cassel looked average but acceptable. I'd love to see him with 5-7 seconds to throw the ball. It was embarrassing how many times he was almost beat to the backfield by Philly players.

tk13
08-27-2010, 11:23 PM
I still have concerns about Cassel. We'll see. I've said too many times that I think we're going to keep things fairly short in the passing game. But, I do think we'll see some more shifting and so forth come the regular season. Although it was effective at times, Cassel had some ugly moments tonight.

There are some great positives though. The biggest, for as much crap as he's taken... I definitely feel better about Pioli's ability to evaluate talent this preseason compared to last preseason. Even if he didn't take some of the guys we wanted... he definitely drafted some guys who appear to have serious playmaking ability. That can steal you games. Obviously there's more work to do... but this team was devoid of talent and especially guys who are explosive.

Crennel did a great job tonight. But I think our coordinators know what they are doing. That's just one of those things... I'm sure they'll make mistakes but even if Haley and Pioli turn out to be complete idiots, you'd have a hard time convincing me Weis and Crennel don't know what they're doing.

Servicemaster Catastrophe. Enough said.

Sure-Oz
08-27-2010, 11:28 PM
Weis probably looks bad cause his QB is a dumbass

Coach
08-28-2010, 12:43 AM
I think Carr got his hand in on that throw to Maclin.

Otherwise, I think you're spot on.

He did. He timed that perfectly, IMHO.

BossChief
08-28-2010, 12:43 AM
Good takes man.

The only thing I disagree with is Barry Richardson, I thought he was a swinging gate for a lot of the game. Better than total crap like Ocal though. At least the guy can run block. Hopefully someone becomes available during the final cuts that can take that spot cause we literally have nobody IMO that can effectively play the spot.

Sounds like you are starting to buy into Studebaker as a guy that can be a difference maker in this defense...someone has been saying that all along...hmmmm

'Hamas' Jenkins
08-28-2010, 01:01 AM
I have hope for Studebaker, but I don't really buy into him. He wasn't covered at all on one sack (clean run at the QB and a blown assignment by the RT), and the other was a coverage sack, but he didn't give up on the play.

I think that he can be a serviceable rotation player, but I'm not counting on him to be difference maker whatsoever.

FWIW, Richardson struggled mightily after the half. He was good in the first half, and he played poorly in the second. He made a few mental errors, but those are fixable. Feet like O'Callaghan's aren't.

Coach
08-28-2010, 01:07 AM
I have hope for Studebaker, but I don't really buy into him. He wasn't covered at all on one sack (clean run at the QB and a blown assignment by the RT), and the other was a coverage sack, but he didn't give up on the play.

I think that he can be a serviceable rotation player, but I'm not counting on him to be difference maker whatsoever.

FWIW, Richardson struggled mightily after the half. He was good in the first half, and he played poorly in the second. He made a few mental errors, but those are fixable. Feet like O'Callaghan's aren't.

Studebaker still should be getting the majority of the playing time over Vrabel, anyway you'd want to slice it.

BossChief
08-28-2010, 01:25 AM

Barrys hands and reaction in pass protection are as slow as Ocals feet.

Studebaker will be a reason this defense turns things around. He will help Halis production because of quarterbacks not being able to slide to Andys side to avoid Hali. Now, if Shaun Smith can lock down that nose spot and play well...we might have a decent defense in the making.

CaliforniaChief
08-28-2010, 01:59 AM
Instead of starting my own thread, I'll just post here with a few of my thoughts.

1. We'd better find a dependable backup QB. I'm not talking about competition, but someone who can provide competent backup for Cassel. Tyler Palko is a disaster. Bill Stull...has he even played? We don't even know what's wrong with Brokie.

2. I hate prevent defenses. All night long we owned Philadelphia's offense. We did it with good timing and pressure. The secondary held their own. And then, albeit in a preseason game, we called off the dogs and let them nickel and dime us down the field. Props to Kafka for his leadership on that drive, but that never should have happened. Along those lines, on that final drive, a bootleg scramble or some sort of play action scramble might have iced the game.

3. Obviously it was a terrible start. Even Mellinger knows that. But wow, there was no rhythm, no confidence, no fight, nothing. A marginal team like the Chiefs have NO room for error or pitiful starts.

4. On the flip side, that we were able to stop the bleeding and basically beat their starters 14-10 through 3 quarters was impressive. They took advantage of a break (the delay of game call) and took advantage of a turnover (created by pressure). The defense did a very good job.

5. I think Jackie Battle and Jeremy Horne have played their way onto the roster. Horne was great on special teams this game and seems to find a way to get it done. But can we change his number? Every time I see him, I think it's Reggie Roby (yeah I know he wasn't 9) but let's get him a roster spot and a real number for his position.

6. Other than the Kolb houdini scramble, we gang tackled and finished pretty well.

7. Was it just me or did the NFL Network skip a Chiefs possession? (I'm sure I'm not the first to post this.)

8.. Cassel is infinitely better out of the gun, no-huddle. It was night and day.

9. I'm a Hawkeye homer, but Moeaki will develop. I'm confident. :D

10. Thoughts and prayers for Cameron Sheffield. I hate to see that.

Titty Meat
08-28-2010, 02:07 AM
Good takes Hamas a C+ is pretty fair. Cassel played like shit I would be intrested to see if he gets more than 3 seconds throwing downfield if they ever try it.

I think Crennel has done a good job with what he has. The OLB look improved and the team seems to get pressure without all out blitzing like last years team.

FAX
08-28-2010, 03:21 AM
10. Thoughts and prayers for Cameron Sheffield. I hate to see that.

From Arrowhead Pride ...

"(Demorrio) Williams did say that they were told Sheffield is moving."

FAX

The Bad Guy
08-28-2010, 03:49 AM
The list of positions needed after cutdown day:

QB, RT, NT (not in any order).

Simply Red
08-28-2010, 04:19 AM
"got his taint handed to him"

ROFL

the Talking Can
08-28-2010, 04:47 AM
First Hamas now you. You really need to give BCarr some credit, he made a great play. Maclin DID NOT drop the ball, Brandon got his hand in the bread basket and poked that ****er free.

you should probably read the thread before responding to it, this was addressed

Jerm
08-28-2010, 04:48 AM
McCluster is awesome...every time he touches the ball it honestly seems like he could take it to the house. I liked having him take KOs and Punts as well, the more times he can touch it the better.

I'm still LOL'ing at Cassel opting for a checkdown on a Flea Flicker and then having it knocked down at the line...hilarious. It brought back memories of the "Hail Mary" against the Browns last year. Matt's good for one of those about once a game now it seems.

BryanBusby
08-28-2010, 05:32 AM

Huh? I can at least think of the play where he decided to put a chip on the NT Lilja was working against and let Trent Cole streamroll the **** out of Cassel on 3rd down. That's piss poor awareness there. Yeah, it was in the first half too.

Simply Red
08-28-2010, 08:23 AM
I fairly certain Studebaker is 'knee-deep' in pussy. His family is LLLLLLLLLoooooooaaded and he's a good looking young fella. It's tough guys, when you're knee deep in da' pussy. trust me.

Baby Lee
08-28-2010, 08:49 AM
Not a big fan of Dorsey standing straight up playing patty cake with a lineman in the backfield as the RB runs right across him so close the guy could've patted him on the butt as he passed by.

Baby Lee
08-28-2010, 08:52 AM

Or slippery and fluid.

Baby Lee
08-28-2010, 08:56 AM
Oh, and how the FUCK do you end up with a flea flicker where the QB wanders back up to the pocket, throws to an underneath route, and gets it knocked down by a lineman.

The sine qua non of the flea flicker is getting the QB deep in the back field to throw a deep arcing pass on a secondary reacting to the handoff.

C A S S E L, that's how you spell that shame pile in a failure bowl.

ChiefsCountry
08-28-2010, 08:57 AM
I fairly certain Studebaker is 'knee-deep' in pussy. His family is LLLLLLLLLoooooooaaded and he's a good looking young fella. It's tough guys, when you're knee deep in da' pussy. trust me.

He is married.

Cosmos
08-28-2010, 09:06 AM
Nobody mentioned the play where BRich pinched down the line to double team the DT and gave Marshall a free path to Cassell , who he absolutely blew up.

Cassell looke up and over at BRich, BRich looked over and down at Cassell, and just walked away.

I think Cassell knows this line is subpar, and I think the line feels Cassel plays scared.... Bad mix.

Fish
08-28-2010, 10:12 AM
He is married.

Don't let this deter you SR... you'll find the right guy one of these days..

-King-
08-28-2010, 10:27 AM
When are you going to do your 2nd half thoughts?

'Hamas' Jenkins
08-28-2010, 10:56 AM
When are you going to do your 2nd half thoughts?

I probably won't. I was watching a time-shifted version, and I didn't know if the starters would play the third quarter or not.

I'll tell you from memory that Richardson struggled mightily in the second half, but many of those are mental errors, which can be fixed with reps.

Lewis made a good play on the pick.

Morgan made a nice play on ST, and he had a couple of good tackles in run support. It would have been nice if he would have gotten to the WR 1/10 of a second sooner in the 2 minute drill, but he annihilated him and he held on to the ball, so you can't blame him too much.

I think that Jackie Battle is probably the second best RB on this team. He runs like Shonn Greene. He's probably not the receiver or pass blocker that Jones is, but at this point, he runs with much more authority.

Asamoah showed potential on some plays. He has a nasty demeanor. But he got his ass whipped on a couple others.

I don't know if we really have a third receiver. I know McCluster will be used out of the slot, but he's really a gadget player. I also don't think he should be used on kick and punt returns b/c he's going to take a shitload of punishment. Arenas can take those reps.

I would set the depth chart as follows:

QB: Cassel
RB: Charles
X: Chambers
Z: Bowe
Y: McCluster
TE: Brokaki, although what has he shown?
LT: Albert
LG: Waters
C: Wiegmann
RG: Lilja (he's been our best OL this PS)
RT: Richardson (his upside is much higher than O'Failaghan's)

DE: Gilberry
NT: Smith
DE: Dorsey

LOLB: Studebaker
Mike: DJ
Ted: Belcher
ROLB: Hali

RCB: Flowers
LCB: Carr
SS: Berry
FS: Lewis

KR/PR: Arenas

CoMoChief
08-28-2010, 11:22 AM
Cassel needs to be replaced. He was terrible last night.

You wanna know what a poster child looks like for poor pocket presence.

He's it.

Oline was great last night for the most part. Cassel blew Goats last night. I could care less about the TD pass, he was lucky he got it off, he was locked on to Bowe from the get go, IMO that was just a bad play on Eagles defense, not a good throw from Cassel.

Titty Meat
08-28-2010, 11:22 AM
I probably won't. I was watching a time-shifted version, and I didn't know if the starters would play the third quarter or not.

I'll tell you from memory that Richardson struggled mightily in the second half, but many of those are mental errors, which can be fixed with reps.

Lewis made a good play on the pick.

Morgan made a nice play on ST, and he had a couple of good tackles in run support. It would have been nice if he would have gotten to the WR 1/10 of a second sooner in the 2 minute drill, but he annihilated him and he held on to the ball, so you can't blame him too much.

I think that Jackie Battle is probably the second best RB on this team. He runs like Shonn Greene. He's probably not the receiver or pass blocker that Jones is, but at this point, he runs with much more authority.

Asamoah showed potential on some plays. He has a nasty demeanor. But he got his ass whipped on a couple others.

I don't know if we really have a third receiver. I know McCluster will be used out of the slot, but he's really a gadget player. I also don't think he should be used on kick and punt returns b/c he's going to take a shitload of punishment. Arenas can take those reps.

I would set the depth chart as follows:

I think Morgans ass will be cut.

xztop12
08-28-2010, 11:41 AM
Brandon Albert looked both slow and weak from what im seeing re-watching the game

'Hamas' Jenkins
08-28-2010, 11:55 AM
I think Morgans ass will be cut.

I don't doubt that he probably will be, but he still has more potential than any other 2 or 3 in the defensive backfield.

I'd much rather keep Morgan than McGraw, Langford, Daniels, or Bates.

xztop12
08-28-2010, 12:12 PM
on our drive at the end of 2nd the eagles were playing a really lazy zone D

-King-
08-28-2010, 12:16 PM
Eating a little crow on the Lilja thing Hamas? :D j/k

But that's what I think the depth chart will look like except I think Williams will start. Except for his 1 hit yesterday, DJ has been invisible. Williams atleast does some things and he made 2 sacks. I don't think DJ's once a game flash is worth him shitting the bed for the rest of the game. Atleast Williams is consistently average.

Micjones
08-28-2010, 12:23 PM

That's pretty much the best Chiefs team they can field.
Though I think I'd platoon the slot. And start Pope over Moeaki.

notorious
08-28-2010, 12:24 PM

Since Cassel finally has a pocket present, we have learned that he has no pocket presence.

Rausch
08-28-2010, 12:26 PM
Nobody mentioned the play where BRich pinched down the line to double team the DT and gave Marshall a free path to Cassell , who he absolutely blew up.

Who?

Rausch
08-28-2010, 12:27 PM
Since Cassel finally has a pocket present, we have learned that he has no pocket presence.

This...

xztop12
08-28-2010, 12:45 PM
No way I'd start Pope over Tony M. Pope hasnt looked good at all imo, even blocking and is too slow

xztop12
08-28-2010, 12:49 PM
why does albert keep diving at Cole's knee? its like they're teaching him to

the Talking Can
08-28-2010, 12:52 PM
ROFL

i just reread this and noticed the trevor laws mention...

Chiefshrink
08-28-2010, 01:28 PM
Our first teams on both sides as some of you said sucked early on but what gave me alot of encouragement was seeing a great deal of "mental toughness" and literally dominating on the D side of the ball especially after the first 2 series. After 3qtrs of first team play from both sides of the ball we beat them. Kolb definitely didn't beat us because we beat ourselves 'early on' but we hung tough mentally and came back. Good sign of things to come.

Chiefshrink
08-28-2010, 01:34 PM

Cassell looke up and over at BRich, BRich looked over and down at Cassell, and just walked away.

I think Cassell knows this line is subpar, and I think the line feels Cassel plays scared.... Bad mix.

I hope you are wrong but my gut say's you are right. B-rich definitely read the wrong blocking assignment assuming an RB would pick up Marshall I'm guessing. Sh** has got to improve and the tough part will be if each segment will trust each other even if the play does improve.

chiefzilla1501
08-28-2010, 01:57 PM
Don't feel like running through the thread, so don't know if this was mentioned.

But watching the Cassel INT, while it's not an advisable throw, I don't think it was a misplaced ball. If he leads Moeaki, that ball is picked off. Moeaki needed to read the ball better and stop his progress. Brees makes those kinds of throws all the time, but his receivers have the presence to stop, turn their body, and adjust to the throw.

Also, other thing missing, is again Cassel's tendency still is to either throw the ball immediately, hold the ball too long, or to run forward. I'm afraid pocket presence is his achilles heel and I don't think it's something that's that fixable. Unfortunately.

King_Chief_Fan
08-28-2010, 02:01 PM
That's pretty much the best Chiefs team they can field.
Though I think I'd platoon the slot. And start Pope over Moeaki.

finding a QB to replace Cassel would pay dividends.

Chiefshrink
08-28-2010, 02:05 PM
Don't feel like running through the thread, so don't know if this was mentioned.

But watching the Cassel INT, while it's not an advisable throw, I don't think it was a misplaced ball. If he leads Moeaki, that ball is picked off. Moeaki needed to read the ball better and stop his progress. Brees makes those kinds of throws all the time, but his receivers have the presence to stop, turn their body, and adjust to the throw.

Also, other thing missing, is again Cassel's tendency still is to either throw the ball immediately, hold the ball too long, or to run forward. I'm afraid pocket presence is his achilles heel and I don't think it's something that's that fixable. Unfortunately.

I agree on your first part of analysis. But he did have pocket presence in NE. I think it's more of "my O-line is going to get killed" than anything.

Brock
08-28-2010, 02:06 PM
I agree on your first part of analysis. But he did have pocket presence in NE. I think it's more of "my O-line is going to get killed" than anything.

He was sacked like 50 times the year he started in NE.

Sweet Daddy Hate
08-28-2010, 02:06 PM
finding a QB to replace Cassel would pay dividends.

Finding a fucking tree-stump with a juggs machine attached to it would pay dividends.

chiefzilla1501
08-28-2010, 02:16 PM

I don't think that's accurate. He just happened to have a lot of dangerous checkdown weapons there.

Watch Brees or Brady in the pocket. They don't run in the pocket. They slide. They find open spots in the pocket and they slip in there. I have seen only a handful of cases where Cassel ever does that. It's either throw the ball, bootleg out, or sprint forward. This is a very big problem. Even something as simple as moving up in the pocket when the outside is closing in on him, he doesn't do it as much as he should.

notorious
08-28-2010, 02:20 PM

He got sacked 3 times more then Brady on the same team......

chiefzilla1501
08-28-2010, 02:24 PM
Hamas, a few thoughts on your observations, having now finally watched the first half of the game.

-I don't agree on Tyson Jackson. He didn't play great, but he didn't play badly either. He'll never be Richard Seymour, a guy who has the pass rush moves to get to the QB. So when I saw Jackson rush after the QB one-on-one with the RT, he gets dominated. To his credit, though, he's doing a good job of holding up to the blocks and he's finally starting to drive his blockers. On a lot of the sacks, you'll see that Jackson was successful in driving the blockers away, leaving a huge lane for the LBs to go through. And I think when you look at a lot of the running plays, he does do a mostly decent job of clogging lanes. I think he's getting a lot more shit than he deserves.
-Wallace Gilberry, on the other hand, looked like shit when he was in on running plays. There is no way this guy should be starting. I really like him, though, in nickel situations and I still to this day wonder why they're not trying him out at OLB. I think he's got a nice little burst in him.
-Mays is complete garbage. McGraw is a huge liability. I am really, really, really hoping Romeo doesn't intend to start either of these guys
-I think we're going to be in for some nice surprises in offensive playcalling. I think Weis showed a little bit of his hand last night without showing too much of it. I saw several plays with Charles/McCluster in the backfield. Lots of plays with McCluster motioning on the end-around. In most of those plays, the Chiefs did some interesting things with the formation, but ran a vanilla play. I have a feeling Weis is going to have some interesting wrinkles when the season starts.
-Moeaki has a really long way to go, in my opinion.

'Hamas' Jenkins
08-28-2010, 02:42 PM
Jackson isn't driving his blocker (singular) nearly as much as he should, and far too often he can be neutralized by a single tackle or guard. He's also not terribly adept at scraping down the line.

Gilberry is not very good vs. the run, and perhaps he is just a situational nickel end, but all our ends look far worse against the run because we have no NT.

Ultimately, Jackson holding ground against a blocker isn't good enough. If you ask any OC if they'd be happy with their tackle not moving nor being moved by a 3-4 end, they would universally take it. He's not strong at the POA, and with his arm length, he should do a much better job at disengaging blockers than he does.

Tyson Jackson is what he's always been--a tape measure warrior. He doesn't even have the workouts, he just has the "Planet Theory".

Titty Meat
08-28-2010, 02:59 PM
Jackson isn't driving his blocker (singular) nearly as much as he should, and far too often he can be neutralized by a single tackle or guard. He's also not terribly adept at scraping down the line.

Gilberry is not very good vs. the run, and perhaps he is just a situational nickel end, but all our ends look far worse against the run because we have no NT.

Ultimately, Jackson holding ground against a blocker isn't good enough. If you ask any OC if they'd be happy with their tackle not moving nor being moved by a 3-4 end, they would universally take it. He's not strong at the POA, and with his arm length, he should do a much better job at disengaging blockers than he does.

Tyson Jackson is what he's always been--a tape measure warrior. He doesn't even have the workouts, he just has the "Planet Theory".

They all seem to play better when they move that 4-3 nickel look. What a coincidence.

notorious
08-28-2010, 03:07 PM
They all seem to play better when they move that 4-3 nickel look. What a coincidence.

Get outta here! Who would have thought........

chiefzilla1501
08-28-2010, 03:07 PM

I don't think that's too far off. I just didn't agree with the point that he was getting manhandled. As a 3-4 DE, I think one of the top qualities to have is the understanding of knowing your gaps and I think he's improved exponentially in that regard. I think he's hitting the right gaps and that's a big reason why there haven't been a whole ton of running lanes. Yesterday's game, I thought, was one of the best I've seen him play. I'm starting to see him move his blocker (inconsistently) and I'm seeing move faster and more aggressively when the play moves away from him. While he doesn't block and shed as much as you'd like, he's doing it a little more regularly and I like that he seems to always be near the play.

Those are the positives. But you're right, his upside is limited. He doesn't have speed and so even when he sniffs out a play, he seems to be a few steps too far from making a play. He's close to useless on the outside rush. And while I think he has good leverage against blocks, he doesn't seem to have the upper body strength to consistently disengage.

Like I've said before, I still think there's hope that he can be fine as a starter and I think there's a good chance he'll improve. I think he gets a lot less credit than he deserves because people don't understand the position. But your points are spot on as to why he'll never live up to the pick and "good not great starter" is probably the absolute highest upside he has.

Pasta Little Brioni
08-28-2010, 03:52 PM
Cassel needs to be replaced. He was terrible last night.

He's it.

Oline was great last night for the most part. Cassel blew Goats last night. I could care less about the TD pass, he was lucky he got it off, he was locked on to Bowe from the get go, IMO that was just a bad play on Eagles defense, not a good throw from Cassel.

Great ROFL Oh, but you are right about Cassel's play.

the Talking Can
08-28-2010, 05:45 PM
I don't think that's too far off. I just didn't agree with the point that he was getting manhandled. As a 3-4 DE, I think one of the top qualities to have is the understanding of knowing your gaps and I think he's improved exponentially in that regard. I think he's hitting the right gaps and that's a big reason why there haven't been a whole ton of running lanes. Yesterday's game, I thought, was one of the best I've seen him play. I'm starting to see him move his blocker (inconsistently) and I'm seeing move faster and more aggressively when the play moves away from him. While he doesn't block and shed as much as you'd like, he's doing it a little more regularly and I like that he seems to always be near the play.

Those are the positives. But you're right, his upside is limited. He doesn't have speed and so even when he sniffs out a play, he seems to be a few steps too far from making a play. He's close to useless on the outside rush. And while I think he has good leverage against blocks, he doesn't seem to have the upper body strength to consistently disengage.

Like I've said before, I still think there's hope that he can be fine as a starter and I think there's a good chance he'll improve. I think he gets a lot less credit than he deserves because people don't understand the position. But your points are spot on as to why he'll never live up to the pick and "good not great starter" is probably the absolute highest upside he has.

there's nothing he can do to justify the pick, it's not even worth discussing (and i tried to rationalize the pick at the time...)

at this point, i only care about him becoming a decent starter...good enough that we don't have to burn another pick replacing him

i pretty much agree with your description of his play...my hope is that somehow he becomes consistently average...consistent being the key word...

we just can't have him getting blown off the ball or redirected with ease every 3rd or 4th play

chiefzilla1501
08-28-2010, 06:38 PM
there's nothing he can do to justify the pick, it's not even worth discussing (and i tried to rationalize the pick at the time...)

at this point, i only care about him becoming a decent starter...good enough that we don't have to burn another pick replacing him

i pretty much agree with your description of his play...my hope is that somehow he becomes consistently average...consistent being the key word...

we just can't have him getting blown off the ball or redirected with ease every 3rd or 4th play

Yup. There are ways he can justify the pick--that would mean he has to become Richard Seymour, and he's not going to come close to that. If he continues to improve as he has, I think he might justify a high second rounder, maybe even a low first rounder. So at the very best, it looks like they reached by about a round. It is what it is.

milkman
08-28-2010, 07:16 PM
Cassel looked average but acceptable. I'd love to see him with 5-7 seconds to throw the ball. It was embarrassing how many times he was almost beat to the backfield by Philly players.

Yep, the excuses just keep on coming.

The Energizer Excuses.

milkman
08-28-2010, 07:27 PM

He had a pocket presence in New England?

They changed the base offense because he had no pocket presence.

MadMax
08-28-2010, 07:41 PM
Yep, the excuses just keep on coming.

The Energizer Excuses.

Hell you could give him 5 minutes int he pocket and he'd **** that up too. Gonna be a full season of 3-5 yard passes all day long. Sad thing is we have absolutely no one else to turn to.

Deberg_1990
08-28-2010, 07:54 PM
I dont like Croyle much at all......but i honestly think if he could stay healthy for more than 1 quarter, there wouldnt be much of a dropoff between him and Cassel. Neither one is the answer.

Sully
08-28-2010, 07:59 PM
why does albert keep diving at Cole's knee? its like they're teaching him to

On the quick throws to the WR the OT is cutting to try and keep the DE's hands down.

Coach
08-28-2010, 08:27 PM
I may have missed it somewhere, but would someone please tell me when is the first round of cuts?
Posted via Mobile Device

-King-
08-28-2010, 09:14 PM
The 31st is the first round of cuts.
http://www.nfl.com/more/nflcalendar

And timeout...someone actually wants Matt Cassel to get 5-7 seconds behind the line? WTF? Do they realize that 5-7 seconds is the entire length of the average play? The whole play. If any qb needs 5-7 seconds behind the line in order to succeed, then they're not good at all.

ModSocks
08-30-2010, 10:09 AM
After sifting through 4 pages of whiny garbage and watching so many posters show off their inability to analyze a game, this thread was very refreshing. Great, and IMO, mainly accurate post Hamas. Very nice thread.

Sky falling much CP? Damn. The "oh my god we're doomed" posts weren't even this bad last week, when we looked worse and played a shittier team. Not sure who started the "we're doomed" bandwagon but it it didn't take much time for everyone to jump on.

Here is what I thought I saw

I saw:

1. Richardson should be RT. Richardson was MUCH better at RT than at LT, but he still isn't the answer either. We need a new RT next season.

2. Albert was not that bad. Get over it. Cassel had protection. He got the job done for most of the night and he will continue to improve. Stop jumping off a cliff, people.

3. McCluster is quicker than fast. He isn't by any means slow, but I don't think he has the same kind of 2nd gear that Charles has. He gets up to top speed real quick, and stays there.

4. That Cassel INT was a poor decision, but damn, the TE shoulda caught that ball. It wasn't that far behind him and it hit him in the damn hands. If it were Bowe dropping the ball we would have more chicken littles flipping out over Bowe. But since it wasn't Bowe, the Chicken littles are jumping Cassels nuts. Poor Decision? Yeah. should it have been caught? **** yeah. The truth is, QB's all over the NFL make that throw. Sometimes you have fit a ball in a tight space. Stop freaking out just because it was Cassel. IF it had been completed everyone would be yapping about how it was a great catch by Moeaki and how Cassel did a great job threading the needle.

5. I saw Fire, passion and intensity from the players. And I watched the home team crowd come to life and get excited.

6. Half time adjustments. Holy ****. Haven't seen that in years.

7. I thought I saw a great game by D. Williams. Oh, wait....wast it a great game, or were the Eagles linemen missing assignments all night?

8. Same goes for studebaker. The Eagles O-line looked lost. Hell, the Chiefs O-linemen were probably laughing at them.

9. That deep pass to Maclin.....yeah, Maclin dropped it. BUT, it looked like he wouldn't have caught it had he gauged the pass right anyway. Carr had is arm in there had Maclin adjusted to the ball correctly. Moot.

10. Damn, Flowers has some burst. So does Berry. They are going to be an exciting duo to watch.

11. Battle needs to be our short yardage back, not Jones. And Jones has no business trying to turn the corner on a 3rd and 3 when you have two guys who specialize in out running DE's to the corner. Charles makes that play and we continue our drive.

12. This team is far and away better than last years. We will win 6-8 games this year. No doubt. If you can't see the improvement from this year to last then that's a YOU problem.

-King-
08-30-2010, 10:15 AM
After sifting through 4 pages of whiny garbage and watching so many posters show off their inability to analyze a game, this thread was very refreshing. Great, and IMO, mainly accurate post Hamas. Very nice thread.

Sky falling much CP? Damn. The "oh my god we're doomed" posts weren't even this bad last week, when we looked worse and played a shittier team. Not sure who started the "we're doomed" bandwagon but it it didn't take much time for everyone to jump on.

I saw:

1. Richardson should be RT. Richardson was MUCH better at RT than at LT, but he still isn't the answer either. We need a new RT next season.

2. Albert was not that bad. Get over it. Cassel had protection. He got the job done for most of the night and he will continue to improve. Stop jumping off a cliff, people.

3. McCluster is quicker than fast. He isn't by any means slow, but I don't think he has the same kind of 2nd gear that Charles has. He gets up to top speed real quick, and stays there.

4. That Cassel INT was a poor decision, but damn, the TE shoulda caught that ball. It wasn't that far behind him and it hit him in the damn hands. If it were Bowe dropping the ball we would have more chicken littles flipping out over Bowe. But since it wasn't Bowe, the Chicken littles are jumping Cassels nuts. Poor Decision? Yeah. should it have been caught? **** yeah. The truth is, QB's all over the NFL make that throw. Sometimes you have fit a ball in a tight space. Stop freaking out just because it was Cassel. IF it had been completed everyone would be yapping about how it was a great catch by Moeaki and how Cassel did a great job threading the needle.

5. I saw Fire, passion and intensity from the players. And I watched the home team crowd come to life and get excited.

7. I thought I saw a great game by D. Williams. Oh, wait....wast it a great game, or were the Eagles linemen missing assignments all night?

8. Same goes for studebaker. The Eagles O-line looked lost. Hell, the Chiefs O-linemen were probably laughing at them.

9. That deep pass to Maclin.....yeah, Maclin dropped it. BUT, it looked like he wouldn't have caught it had he gauged the pass right anyway. Carr had is arm in there had Maclin adjusted to the ball correctly. Moot.

10. Damn, Flowers has some burst. So does Berry. They are going to be an exciting duo to watch.

11. Battle needs to be our short yardage back, not Jones. And Jones has no business trying to turn the corner on a 3rd and 3 when you have two guys who specialize in out running DE's to the corner. Charles makes that play and we continue our drive.

12. This team is far and away better than last years. We will win 6-8 games this year. No doubt. If you can't see the improvement from this year to last then that's a YOU problem.

Nope, according to Dane we'll be lucky to start 1-7.

Also, am I the only one who thinks Williams should start over DJ? I'd take consistently average over a guy who shits the bed for 99 out of 100 plays.

OnTheWarpath15
08-30-2010, 10:24 AM

I saw:

I agree for the most part.

We're in complete disagreement on #4. Methinks you've been spoiled by a decade+ of TG making that catch. Moekai did a great job, IMO, of even getting his hands on the ball. Would have been a circus catch, similar to those "body going one way, lay out to get the ball behind you" catches we've occasionally seen form Bowe where he's laid out parallel to the turf to make a grab on a ball way behind him.

I'm with you on #7 and 8. Kolb and the OL looked completely out of sorts regarding protection pickups. Hard to give Stude and Williams a ton of credit when they weren't touched on two of their sacks. Can't help but think that come the regular season, teams aren't going to just let us walk in untouched. And Kolb was pulling a "Cassel" a lot that night, holding on to the ball WAY to long. A solid QB is going to get rid of the ball on those "coverage sack" plays.

Serious question regarding #12:

Is 6 wins really going to be considered "improvement", especially considering the schedule?

If so, the standard are REALLY being lowered around here.

8 is the standard, IMO. I've said since the day Pioli was hired that the expectation should be:

2009: 4-12 with noticeable improvement.

2010: 8-8 with across the board improvement

2011: Playoffs, and potentially a win.

2012: Competing for a conference championship/Super Bowl

Reerun_KC
08-30-2010, 10:26 AM

I saw:

Very nice and pretty unbiased... Thanks!

ModSocks
08-30-2010, 10:33 AM

We're in complete disagreement on #4. Methinks you've been spoiled by a decade+ of TG making that catch. Moekai did a great job, IMO, of even getting his hands on the ball. Would have been a circus catch, similar to those "body going one way, lay out to get the ball behind you" catches we've occasionally seen form Bowe where he's laid out parallel to the turf to make a grab on a ball way behind him.

I'm with you on #7 and 8. Kolb and the OL looked completely out of sorts regarding protection pickups. Hard to give Stude and Williams a ton of credit when they weren't touched on two of their sacks. Can't help but think that come the regular season, teams aren't going to just let us walk in untouched. And Kolb was pulling a "Cassel" a lot that night, holding on to the ball WAY to long. A solid QB is going to get rid of the ball on those "coverage sack" plays.

Is 6 wins really going to be considered "improvement", especially considering the schedule?

8 is the standard, IMO. I've said since the day Pioli was hired that the expectation should be:

You may be right about the TG reference. During that play, I imagined TG making that catch. But Gates, Finley, Davis, Clark etc also make that catch. I don't think it's unrealistic to expect Moeaki to make that catch.

And yeah, I think 6 wins MINIMUM can be seen as an improvment. I believe that if we win only 6 games, it's because of Cassel, not the rest of the team. Time will tell i guess.

Sweet Daddy Hate
08-30-2010, 10:54 AM

Quality work, Sir.:thumb:

CoMoChief
08-30-2010, 11:49 AM
One of the things that you can tell is how much G-Rob Pendergast had in him.

I'm not super impressed with Weis to this point, but Crennel has called a good game.

Ill wait til the reg season starts. The Chiefs don't really game plan for these games. These are just glorified practice reps.

But I hope to god these 10 yd curl routes are just a practice/timing thing, if that's all we're gonna see because Cassel can't throw anything past 20 yds, then Pioli's really fucking this team w/ his boy in there under center.

We'd have better luck w/ Croyle until he gets knocked out.

ModSocks
08-30-2010, 11:56 AM
Ill wait til the reg season starts. The Chiefs don't really game plan for these games. These are just glorified practice reps.

But I hope to god these 10 yd curl routes are just a practice/timing thing, if that's all we're gonna see because Cassel can't throw anything past 20 yds, then Pioli's really ****ing this team w/ his boy in there under center.

We'd have better luck w/ Croyle until he gets knocked out.

IT is what it is. If you think we're playing a short passing game offense all preseason and then we're going to fling it down field in wk 1 then you're only kidding yourself. Charlie has said repeatedly that he's going to play to his QB's strength and not ask him to do things he cant do.

And we all know what he can't do.......

This is our offense. We're going to run the ball and throw short-intermediate routes and hope our receivers make some YAC.

It is what it is. Lets hope they can excel at it.

DaneMcCloud
08-30-2010, 12:01 PM
You may be right about the TG reference. During that play, I imagined TG making that catch. But Gates, Finley, Davis, Clark etc also make that catch. I don't think it's unrealistic to expect Moeaki to make that catch.

It is COMPLETELY unrealistic.

You're comparing Pro Bowl players to a guy that couldn't stay healthy in college?

Come on.

DaneMcCloud
08-30-2010, 12:06 PM
Nope, according to Dane we'll be lucky to start 1-7.

Yep, that's right.

I love it how the majority of the people here think that because the Chiefs didn't get destroyed by a team like the Eagles, they're now over the hump.

:facepalm:

The Chiefs will compete and win a few games against teams without a strong running game (like the Eagles, who prefer 70-30 passing ratio). But against teams with a strong run game, they'll lose.

Every team the Chiefs face outside of the Colts in their first eight games has a strong running game. The Colts have Manning and a slew of great receivers and the Chiefs don't have the offensive firepower necessary to win that game (same with Houston).

I think that WAY too many people are overestimating the talent on Chiefs roster and overestimating the value of the coaching staff additions, which aren't going to make a huge difference this year. Maybe next year, when more talent is added to the roster but not this year.

SAUTO
08-30-2010, 12:08 PM
Yep, that's right.

I love it how the majority of the people here think that because the Chiefs didn't get destroyed by a team like the Eagles, they're now over the hump.

The Chiefs will compete and win a few games against teams without a strong running game (like the Eagles, who prefer 70-30 passing ratio). But against teams with a strong run game, they'll lose.

Every team the Chiefs face outside of the Colts in their first eight games has a strong running game. The Colts have Manning and a slew of great receivers and the Chiefs don't have the offensive firepower necessary to win that game (same with Houston).

I think that WAY too many people are overestimating the talent on Chiefs roster and overestimating the value of the coaching staff additions, which aren't going to make a huge difference this year. Maybe next year, when more talent is added to the roster but not this year.

the eagles had led the nfl in rushing this preseason. about 190 ypg

Sweet Daddy Hate
08-30-2010, 12:09 PM
Yep, that's right.

Why do you hate the Chiefs, Dane? :evil:

DaneMcCloud
08-30-2010, 12:11 PM
the eagles had led the nfl in rushing this preseason. about 190 ypg

But they didn't try to run much against the Chiefs and when they did, they were successful.

LeSean McCoy was 5 for 28 yards. That's nearly 6 yards a carry, which won't it in the regular season.

CoMoChief
08-30-2010, 12:12 PM
IT is what it is. If you think we're playing a short passing game offense all preseason and then we're going to fling it down field in wk 1 then you're only kidding yourself. Charlie has said repeatedly that he's going to play to his QB's strength and not ask him to do things he cant do.

And we all know what he can't do.......

This is our offense. We're going to run the ball and throw short-intermediate routes and hope our receivers make some YAC.

It is what it is. Lets hope they can excel at it.

Well then we need to take a QB in next year's draft. If you can't throw it and stretch the field in today's game defenses are gonna cheat and play up on you. I don't even think our 3-headed monster (Charles/Jones/DMC) can carry this team to 8 wins if we're gonna run run, then Captain Checkdown all season long.

Sweet Daddy Hate
08-30-2010, 12:13 PM
Well then we need to take a QB in next year's draft. If you can't throw it and stretch the field in today's game defenses are gonna cheat and play up on you. I don't even think our 3-headed monster (Charles/Jones/DMC) can carry this team to 8 wins if we're gonna run run, then Captain Checkdown all season long.

This.

keg in kc
08-30-2010, 12:18 PM
The Chiefs will compete and win a few games against teams without a strong running game (like the Eagles, who prefer 70-30 passing ratio). But against teams with a strong run game, they'll lose.My prediction is just about the polar opposite of that. I think their run defense is still (more) their strength than their passing defense. I think they'll be competitive in games with run-oriented teams, and completely obliterated by teams with strong passing games. 5 sacks on Friday notwithstanding, I don't think this is a defense that can consistently pressure the quarterback, so I think they'll continue to get picked apart because of that, and I don't expect an offense that will score enough to keep up in a shoot-out. While, on the other hand, I think the conservative nature of the opponent will help keep them in the game against running teams.

SAUTO
08-30-2010, 12:36 PM
But they didn't try to run much against the Chiefs and when they did, they were successful.

LeSean McCoy was 5 for 28 yards. That's nearly 6 yards a carry, which won't it in the regular season.

eh 26 - 106 4 ypc meh

ModSocks
08-30-2010, 12:44 PM

Not arguing about that. But this is what we have and this what we will see the rest of the season.

Hopefully we draft a Qb that can throw the ball downfield. Until then, this is our O.

milkman
08-30-2010, 07:23 PM

Personally, I think everyone here has this unrealistic nostalgic remembrance of Tony G.

He had sure hands and he made some great catches, but he rarely ever had to try to completely stop his momentum moving forward and turn his body completely around to make the kind of catch that some people want to say that Moeaki should have made.

That is absolutely ridiculous.

O.city
08-30-2010, 07:31 PM
That throw was actually the only place it could have been placed but prolly should not have been thrown

Hootie
08-30-2010, 08:35 PM

we certainly watched different games ROFL

McCoy had one great TD run...

and Mike Vick had a few decent runs...

and other than that, we were terrific against the run...Vrabel made several quality plays to prevent guys from getting bigger gains on the ground...

Our defense played outstanding...even if it was performance...

and I fully expect our run defense to be at least average to above average.

Our offense will hold us back more than our defense...if Cassel can throw the ball downfield and Charles gets more touches than Jones we might even be ok...

I could see 8-8...I could see 4-12...

I'll just have to see Monday, September 13th to see what our offense is going to do...

DaneMcCloud
08-30-2010, 08:38 PM
and I fully expect our run defense to be at least average to above average.

You think that the Chiefs run defense will jump at least 16 spots?

LMAO

Put down the crack pipe.

Hootie
08-30-2010, 08:43 PM
You think that the Chiefs run defense will jump at least 16 spots?

LMAO

Put down the crack pipe.

Yep, I do...and here's why:

We weren't as bad against the run as the stats indicate last year...

We had a few terrible games...but other than that...our offense was atrocious...couldn't stay on the field...couldn't sustain drives...too much pressure on the defense...

and then when teams would get up on us (and they truly did beat us with the pass early in the games more than the run)...then they'd pound it down our throats...

I posted the stats of good QB's against us last year...it was ridiculous. Teams TORE us apart via the air...which led to them tearing us apart on the ground in the 2nd half.

Our team was bad last year...we were adjusting...we had to deal with Scary Larry sucking for half the season...our coaching staff was a mess and the players were probably more than a tad disinterested with all of the losing...

2010:

Fresh start...better coaching...better talent...another year of progression for the young guys. We'll see DJ/Studebaker/Belcher/Berry etc.. more this season...Dorsey/Jackson have another year under their belt...we have Crennel calling the defense...

AND

we have playmakers on offense now...JamChar will keep the drives going...Thomas Jones/McCluster...full year of Bowe and Chambers...

Our offense HAS to be better...by default...which means our team will be better...and our defense will improve.

It just will...

NOT TO MENTION

we have SUCH an easy schedule...

DaneMcCloud
08-30-2010, 08:47 PM
Yep, I do...and here's why:

We weren't as bad against the run as the stats indicate last year...

We had a few terrible games...but other than that...our offense was atrocious...couldn't stay on the field...couldn't sustain drives...too much pressure on the defense...

and then when teams would get up on us (and they truly did beat us with the pass early in the games more than the run)...then they'd pound it down our throats...

I posted the stats of good QB's against us last year...it was ridiculous. Teams TORE us apart via the air...which led to them tearing us apart on the ground in the 2nd half.

Our team was bad last year...we were adjusting...we had to deal with Scary Larry sucking for half the season...our coaching staff was a mess and the players were probably more than a tad disinterested with all of the losing...

2010:

Fresh start...better coaching...better talent...another year of progression for the young guys. We'll see DJ/Studebaker/Belcher/Berry etc.. more this season...Dorsey/Jackson have another year under their belt...we have Crennel calling the defense...

AND

we have playmakers on offense now...JamChar will keep the drives going...Thomas Jones/McCluster...full year of Bowe and Chambers...

Our offense HAS to be better...by default...which means our team will be better...and our defense will improve.

It just will...

NOT TO MENTION

we have SUCH an easy schedule...

I fully disagree with your take and especially the "ease of schedule".

The Chiefs will be lucky to NOT be 1-7 after the first 8 games.

LUCKY.

Hootie
08-30-2010, 08:55 PM
I disagree...

I see two unwinnable games on the entire schedule (@INDY, @SAN DIEGO)...

I see tough games (San Diego/Houston/San Fran/Tennessee)...

and then I see a ton of winnable games...

TON

I could see us winning anywhere between 4 and 8 games...and if we get some bounces for once and win some of the tough games 9 or 10...

all depending on Matt Cassel and whether or not he can stretch the field...every once in a while...

but if JamChar and Dex are a couple of Chris Johnson clones (and I'm sorry, watching McCluster Friday showed how rare his talent is)...

and we totally utilize them and get them touches...

I see no reason why EVEN MATT CASSEL can't successfully execute a play-action gameplan...at least somewhat.

But who knows...I think our success hinges on Matt Cassel and Jamaal Charles...not our defense...I think for once our defense will be fine...not great...not bad...just fine.

Yeah...

I think Manning and Rivers will TEAR us apart via the passing game...same with Schaub...

but other than that?

Nah. Not scared.

We are JUST AS GOOD as every team on our schedule other than the Colts, the Chargers, the Titans and the Texans.

Every single team.

Simply Red
08-30-2010, 09:08 PM
I disagree...

I see two unwinnable games on the entire schedule (@INDY, @SAN DIEGO)...

I see tough games (San Diego/Houston/San Fran/Tennessee)...

and then I see a ton of winnable games...

TON

I could see us winning anywhere between 4 and 8 games...and if we get some bounces for once and win some of the tough games 9 or 10...

all depending on Matt Cassel and whether or not he can stretch the field...every once in a while...

but if JamChar and Dex are a couple of Chris Johnson clones (and I'm sorry, watching McCluster Friday showed how rare his talent is)...

and we totally utilize them and get them touches...

I see no reason why EVEN MATT CASSEL can't successfully execute a play-action gameplan...at least somewhat.

But who knows...I think our success hinges on Matt Cassel and Jamaal Charles...not our defense...I think for once our defense will be fine...not great...not bad...just fine.

Yeah...

I think Manning and Rivers will TEAR us apart via the passing game...same with Schaub...

but other than that?

Nah. Not scared.

We are JUST AS GOOD as every team on our schedule other than the Colts, the Chargers, the Titans and the Texans.

Every single team.

You're getting this talking out of your asshole thing down pat, Hootie.

Hootie
08-30-2010, 09:10 PM
well since I'm putting every other worthless member on this board on ignore when it comes to chiefs football...I guess I'll just go ahead and add you as well.

Peace out creep.

DaneMcCloud
08-30-2010, 09:15 PM
I disagree...

Every single team.

No. Not even close.

Sweet Daddy Hate
08-30-2010, 09:18 PM

ROFL

The Bad Guy
08-30-2010, 09:20 PM
I fully disagree with your take and especially the "ease of schedule".

The Chiefs will be lucky to NOT be 1-7 after the first 8 games.

LUCKY.

So they will be lucky to be 2-6?

The Bad Guy
08-30-2010, 09:21 PM
No. Not even close.

The Chiefs are just as good if not better then the Bills, Broncos, Raiders, Browns, Seahawks, Rams. I'm likely forgetting a few.

milkman
08-30-2010, 09:25 PM
The Chiefs are just as good if not better then the Bills, Broncos, Raiders, Browns, Seahawks, Rams. I'm likely forgetting a few.

Doesn't matter who the Chiefs play, their QB is better, and we still have no run defense.

CJ Spiller, Michael Bush, Steven Jackson.

BryanBusby
08-30-2010, 09:26 PM

Yeah, they will be lucky to be 2-6.

They haven't beat San Diego since 2007, they couldn't clinch a win against the Browns even though they were trying to give it to the Chiefs....AGAIN, San Francisco is going to be fucking tough, we're the Colts bitch, Jacksonvilles too, oh and Buffalo.

The only game I see that looks good for a victory is @ Oakland, because the Raiders seem to dislike winning at home for whatever reason.

OnTheWarpath15
08-30-2010, 09:29 PM

1129 rushing yards allowed in 6 games against the bolded teams last year says otherwise.

DaneMcCloud
08-30-2010, 09:31 PM

Pretty much

DaneMcCloud
08-30-2010, 09:36 PM

They're not even close to the Broncos in terms of talent. Coaching may be another thing (I'm no fan of Wink) but they've looked far better against MUCH better teams this preseason than the Chiefs. They started 6-2 last season, then fell apart. A competent coaching staff will fix that.

If the Raiders had started Gradkowski last year, they would have easily won 8 games, if not 10 games. Campbell is a serious upgrade and a healthy Chaz Schilens, along with 2nd year Louis Murphy, Kamerion Wimbley on defense, among others. This team will fight for a 10 win season.

The Browns hired Holmgren, brought in Seneca Wallace and Delhomme, added talent in the draft and solidified their organization. They beat the Chiefs soundly on the ground in Week 16 and this time, we're at their house. Muhammed Massaqoi looks to have a breakout season.

Seattle is GREATLY improved with Pete Carroll, Alex Gibbs, a healthy Hasselbeck, Leon Washington and their draft.

FUCK! I wish we had Charlie Whitehurst on our roster instead of Matt Casshole.

chiefzilla1501
08-30-2010, 09:36 PM
Doesn't matter who the Chiefs play, their QB is better, and we still have no run defense.

CJ Spiller, Michael Bush, Steven Jackson.

I don't think it's nearly the liability that some here say it is. But it is our achilles heel.

Where we've improved from last year is that so far, I've seen a LOT less blown assignments and much better discipline in the back 7 to make tackles at the second level to prevent the big play. We'll still get nickel and dimed and give up a big chunk of yards, but I think our defense will do enough in quite a few games to put our offense in a position to win games. Our offense's ability to deliver? Well, we'll see about that. I think our offense is going to be more proficient but will be kicking a lot of field goals.

DaneMcCloud
08-30-2010, 09:42 PM
I don't think it's nearly the liability that some here say it is. But it is our achilles heel.

Where we've improved from last year is that so far, I've seen a LOT less blown assignments and much better discipline in the back 7 to make tackles at the second level to prevent the big play. We'll still get nickel and dimed and give up a big chunk of yards, but I think our defense will do enough in quite a few games to put our offense in a position to win games. Our offense's ability to deliver? Well, we'll see about that. I think our offense is going to be more proficient but will be kicking a lot of field goals.

This is fucking laughable.

Either you haven't seen shit or you don't know what you're watching.

Michael Turner fucking GASHED the Chiefs for 44 yards on 6 carries before retiring for the night. The fucking Tampa Bay Bucs drove at WILL against the Chiefs, both in the air and on the ground during the first half, with a second string, 5th round, second year QB.

The Eagles fucking killed the Chiefs in the air and on the ground for the better part of the first two quarters.

I don't know what the FUCK you're seeing but by the fourth quarter, the Chiefs would have been annihilated in each of these games. I'm talking the 44-13 and 44-14 bashings they took late last seasons.

Wake the FUCK up, people. This team is NOT improved.

chiefzilla1501
08-30-2010, 09:43 PM
They're not even close to the Broncos in terms of talent. Coaching may be another thing (I'm no fan of Wink) but they've looked far better against MUCH better teams this preseason than the Chiefs. They started 6-2 last season, then fell apart. A competent coaching staff will fix that.

If the Raiders had started Gradkowski last year, they would have easily won 8 games, if not 10 games. Campbell is a serious upgrade and a healthy Chaz Schilens, along with 2nd year Louis Murphy, Kamerion Wimbley on defense, among others. This team will fight for a 10 win season.

The Browns hired Holmgren, brought in Seneca Wallace and Delhomme, added talent in the draft and solidified their organization. They beat the Chiefs soundly on the ground in Week 16 and this time, we're at their house. Muhammed Massaqoi looks to have a breakout season.

Seattle is GREATLY improved with Pete Carroll and their draft.

****! I wish we had Charlie Whitehurst on our roster instead of Matt Casshole.

Disagree on Denver. I think they're a poorly coached team and that McDaniels' act will wear very thin. They don't have their top two RBs, their star receiver from last year, Elvis Dumervil, Ryan Clady (at 100%). They fired a terrific defensive coordinator in Mike Nolan. Their playmaker on defense, Brian Dawkins, is about 1,000 years old. I don't think DJ Williams is 100%. this team is going to struggle a lot. A lot of that is due to bad luck.

And Seattle "greatly" improved? Their offense is so-so. Good not elite running game, and decent receivers who will be thrown to by shaky QB talent behind an average offensive line. On defense, that squad is going to be really, really, really shitty. Their defensive line has to be one of the worst in the NFL. Offenses will have about a million years to throw the ball on them.

-King-
08-30-2010, 09:48 PM
They're not even close to the Broncos in terms of talent. Coaching may be another thing (I'm no fan of Wink) but they've looked far better against MUCH better teams this preseason than the Chiefs. They started 6-2 last season, then fell apart. A competent coaching staff will fix that. What talent do the Broncos have? Kyle Orton? Moreno? Jabar Gaffney? 40 yr old Champ and Dawkins? Only person they have is Clady.

If the Raiders had started Gradkowski last year, they would have easily won 8 games, if not 10 games. Campbell is a serious upgrade and a healthy Chaz Schilens, along with 2nd year Louis Murphy, Kamerion Wimbley on defense, among others. This team will fight for a 10 win season. Chaz isn't healthy.

The Browns hired Holmgren, brought in Seneca Wallace and Delhomme, added talent in the draft and solidified their organization. They beat the Chiefs soundly on the ground in Week 16 and this time, we're at their house. Muhammed Massaqoi looks to have a breakout season. So they added a guy who's had the most picks the last 2 years and a career backup? HOLY FUCKING SHIT! SUPERBOWL!!

Delhomme is worse than Cassel at this point and Jarome Harrison is NOT going to rush for 300 yards this game. And they won't get 2 TD returns from Josh Cribbs.

Seattle is GREATLY improved with Pete Carroll, Alex Gibbs, a healthy Hasselbeck, Leon Washington and their draft.

FUCK! I wish we had Charlie Whitehurst on our roster instead of Matt Casshole.

Whitehurst isn't doing so hot lately. And I think our roster is better than Seattles.

DaneMcCloud
08-30-2010, 09:49 PM
What talent do the Broncos have? Kyle "Pro Bowl" Orton? Moreno? Jabar Gaffney? 40 yr old Champ and Dawkins? Only person they have is Clady.

Chaz isn't healthy.

So they added a guy who's had the most picks the last 2 years and a career backup? HOLY FUCKING SHIT! SUPERBOWL!!

Delhomme is worse than Cassel at this point and Jarome Harrison is NOT going to rush for 300 yards this game. And they won't get 2 TD returns from Josh Cribbs.

Whitehurst isn't doing so hot lately. And I think our roster is better than Seattles.

Disagree with everything you've posted

Sweet Daddy Hate
08-30-2010, 09:50 PM

Michael Turner fucking GASHED the Chiefs for 44 yards on 6 carries before retiring for the night. The fucking Tampa Bay Bucs drove at WILL against the Chiefs, both in the air and on the ground during the first half, with a second string, 5th round, second year QB.

The Eagles fucking killed the Chiefs in the air and on the ground for the better part of the first two quarters.

I don't know what the FUCK you're seeing but by the fourth quarter, the Chiefs would have been annihilated in each of these games. I'm talking the 44-13 and 44-14 bashings they took late last seasons.

TEH HARSHER OF TEH MELLOW HAS SPOKEN, BITCHES~! LMAO

doomy3
08-30-2010, 09:51 PM

Well, Chaz isn't healthy. That is the only fact in either of your posts. The rest are opinions, but Chaz isn't healthy, so you should at least agree with that.

-King-
08-30-2010, 09:52 PM

What positions of the Broncos and Seattle are more talented than us? And hasn't Delhomme been a INT machine lately?

DaneMcCloud
08-30-2010, 09:54 PM
Well, Chaz isn't healthy. That is the only fact in either of your posts. The rest are opinions, but Chaz isn't healthy, so you should at least agree with that.

I was making it easy on myself. I'm kinda tired of the point-by-point responses.

DaneMcCloud
08-30-2010, 09:54 PM
What positions of the Broncos and Seattle are more talented than us? And hasn't Delhomme been a INT machine lately?

QB
WR
O-Line
D-line
Linebackers

chiefzilla1501
08-30-2010, 09:55 PM
This is ****ing laughable.

Michael Turner ****ing GASHED the Chiefs for 44 yards on 6 carries before retiring for the night. The ****ing Tampa Bay Bucs drove at WILL against the Chiefs, both in the air and on the ground during the first half, with a second string, 5th round, second year QB.
The Atlanta game, they didn't look so hot. They looked sloppy as you would expect in the preseason.

Tampa drove at will? They scored one field goal because Thomas Jones coughed the ball in KC territory and they gave up one TD drive in the first half. Other than that, they forced punts and allowed close to nothing on the ground. The Chiefs played against a shitty QB, but giving up 10 points (3 of which were due to an offensive turnover) is not exactly a bad defensive performance.

The Eagles ****ing killed the Chiefs in the air and on the ground for the better part of the first two quarters.
They did? The Chiefs fumbled the ball in the Eagles' red zone, leading to a 1-play TD. After that, the Eagles had one long drive that led to a field goal and three 3-and-outs. 10 points to a very good offensive team (7 of which caused by a stupid turnover) isn't even CLOSE to getting killed.

I don't know what the **** you're seeing but by the fourth quarter, the Chiefs would have been annihilated in each of these games. I'm talking the 44-13 and 44-14 bashings they took late last seasons.

Wake the **** up, people. This team is NOT improved.
The score of the Eagles game was 10-7 at halftime.

And this is all just based on score. I think you're exaggerating a bit. I'm not saying we should do cartwheels. But to say this defense is getting killed is completely off-base. They're keeping the team in games despite some horrible offensive turnovers.

Brock
08-30-2010, 09:56 PM
You didn't really list using Leon Washington as a starting RB as a strength?

chiefzilla1501
08-30-2010, 09:56 PM

Delhomme, as I expected, is doing very well for the Browns' system and I think will continue to do so. He wasn't built for the shit Carolina started to do. The Browns' system is his wheelhouse. I think the Browns will be a pretty tough team.

-King-
08-30-2010, 10:01 PM

LMFAO Eagles killed the Chiefs in the air the first 2 quarters? Kolb had 29 yards passing the first half. He got the rest after the Chiefs put in their backups in the 3rd qtr.

luv
I think we're putting too much emphasis on preseason here. I agree that the offense will improve. However, "improving" leaves a lot of ground to be covered compared to the last few years. While I'm not half as football savvy as the rest of you, but I don't see where we've made our run D any better. Tell me if I'm wrong in my opinion and how, though.

DaneMcCloud
The Atlanta game, they didn't look so hot. They looked sloppy as you would expect in the preseason.

Tampa drove at will? They scored one field goal because Thomas Jones coughed the ball in KC territory and they gave up one TD drive in the first half. Other than that, they forced punts and allowed close to nothing on the ground. The Chiefs played against a shitty QB, but giving up 10 points (3 of which were due to an offensive turnover) is not exactly a bad defensive performance.

They did? The Chiefs fumbled the ball in the Eagles' red zone, leading to a 1-play TD. After that, the Eagles had one long drive that led to a field goal and three 3-and-outs. 10 points to a very good offensive team (7 of which caused by a stupid turnover) isn't even CLOSE to getting killed.

The score of the Eagles game was 10-7 at halftime.

And this is all just based on score. I think you're exaggerating a bit. I'm not saying we should do cartwheels. But to say this defense is getting killed is completely off-base. They're keeping the team in games despite some horrible offensive turnovers.

You are, without a doubt, the most annoying fucking person to post in this forum.

Every fucking thing you post has to be disputed, line by line, and quite frankly, I'm sick of it.

If you think the Chiefs have looked like a eight win team this year, that's on YOU, not on me.

They look like a six win team with a lot of help (injuries to other teams, ball bouncing their way in several games, etc.). They look like a four win team.

Poor QB play, poor offensive line play, poor defensive line play and poor linebacking play. No legitimate, every down pass rushing threat, no one to game plan for on defense, nothing.

You can chose to see otherwise. I don't fucking see it, at all.

chiefzilla1501
QB
WR
O-Line
D-line
Linebackers

Seattle's D-line is complete shit. Maybe one of the worst in the league. Their D-line players combined for 4.5 sacks in 2009. Who could possibly scare anyone on that line?

And the Dumervil-less Broncos don't have anybody who can get to the QB.

Regardless of your opinion on Hali, he's a shitload more dangerous a pass rusher than any defender on either of those two rosters.

DaneMcCloud
08-30-2010, 10:02 PM
LMFAO Eagles killed the Chiefs in the air the first 2 quarters? Kolb had 29 yards passing the first half. He got the rest after the Chiefs put in their backups in the 3rd qtr.

And that's what makes it even worse. Kevin Kolb, a QB that is not ready to start for NFL football team moved his team down the field with relative ease. He stumbled later but that's also because they lost a starting WR and pulled McCoy (who had only five rushes).

Open your eyes.

DaneMcCloud
08-30-2010, 10:03 PM
Seattle's D-line is complete shit. Maybe one of the worst in the league. Their D-line players combined for 4.5 sacks in 2009. Who could possibly scare anyone on that line?

And the Dumervil-less Broncos don't have anybody who can get to the QB.

Regardless of your opinion on Hali, he's a shitload more dangerous a pass rusher than any defender on either of those two rosters.

It's better than zero, isn't it? And their linebackers are FAR more talented. Earl Thomas isn't going to suck, either.

Have you WATCHED the Broncos this preseason? If so, you'd have seen them looking pretty goddamn good on both sides of the ball, something the Chiefs have sorely lacked.

-King-
08-30-2010, 10:06 PM
And that's what makes it even worse. Kevin Kolb, a QB that is not ready to start for NFL football team moved his team down the field with relative ease. He stumbled later but that's also because they lost a starting WR and pulled McCoy (who had only five rushes).

Open your eyes.

Moved his team with ease? What? He had 29 yards passing in the first half. How is that moving his team? They had the ball for more than 2 minutes ONCE in the whole 1st half. How is that moving his team?

-King-
08-30-2010, 10:07 PM
It's better than zero, isn't it? And their linebackers are FAR more talented. Earl Thomas isn't going to suck, either.

Have you WATCHED the Broncos this preseason? If so, you'd have seen them looking pretty goddamn good on both sides of the ball, something the Chiefs have sorely lacked.

WTF? Have YOU watched the Broncos? Their defense is pathetic. Their front 7 may be worse than ours. Steelers were getting through the middle of their line with ease. They're worst in the league in defense.

DaneMcCloud
08-30-2010, 10:08 PM
Moved his team with ease? What? He had 29 yards passing in the first half. How is that moving his team? They had the ball for more than 2 minutes ONCE in the whole 1st half. How is that moving his team?

So, the Chiefs first team defense didn't line up against the Eagles in the third quarter? There were no starters on the field when Kafka played?

Additionally, you missed the fact that Jackson wasn't on the field and McCoy only had five touches?

JFC, you people get worked up about the Chiefs first team defense against fucking scrubs.

The Eagles QB's combined for more than 200 yards in the air, without the services of their best players.

The Chiefs had barely 120 yards in the air.

DaneMcCloud
08-30-2010, 10:10 PM
WTF? Have YOU watched the Broncos? Their defense is pathetic. Their front 7 may be worse than ours. Steelers were getting through the middle of their line with ease. They're worst in the league in defense.

Yeah, you're wrong.

chiefzilla1501
08-30-2010, 10:12 PM
4 players. 4.5 sacks. Average 1 sack per player. Are you really, seriously going to tell me that Chris Clemons, Brandon Mebane, Colin Cole, and Red Bryant are going to scare anybody? It's arguably the worst D-line in the NFL.

Truthfully, not that much. We'll see.

MadMax
08-30-2010, 10:12 PM
You are, without a doubt, the most annoying ****ing person to post in this forum.

Every ****ing thing you post has to be disputed, line by line, and quite frankly, I'm sick of it.

If you think the Chiefs have looked like a eight win team this year, that's on YOU, not on me.

They look like a six win team with a lot of help (injuries to other teams, ball bouncing their way in several games, etc.). They look like a four win team.

Poor QB play, poor offensive line play, poor defensive line play and poor linebacking play. No legitimate, every down pass rushing threat, no one to game plan for on defense, nothing.

You can chose to see otherwise. I don't ****ing see it, at all.

4-5 win team at best and FUCK all you optimistic POS peeps that are clearly delusional. I LOVE the Chiefs but come on have some perspective..:shake:

-King-
08-30-2010, 10:13 PM
So, the Chiefs first team defense didn't line up against the Eagles in the third quarter? There were no starters on the field when Kafka played?

Additionally, you missed the fact that Jackson wasn't on the field and McCoy only had five touches?

JFC, you people get worked up about the Chiefs first team defense against fucking scrubs.

Most of his completions in the 3rd quarter came against Travis Daniels. I remember people in the gamethread talking about how he was only completing passes because he was playing against our backups.

But any whoo, you're right, this time hasn't improved at all. They'll be lucky to go 1-15.

DaneMcCloud
08-30-2010, 10:14 PM
Most of his completions in the 3rd quarter came against Travis Daniels. I remember people in the gamethread talking about how he was only completing passes because he was playing against our backups.

But any whoo, you're right, this time hasn't improved at all. They'll be lucky to go 1-15.

Is that what I said, True Fan?

Get a grip.

-King-
08-30-2010, 10:16 PM
Yeah, you're wrong.
They've allowed 500+ rushing in 3 preseason games. C'mon now.

-King-
08-30-2010, 10:18 PM
Is that what I said, True Fan?

Get a grip.

True fan? How? Because I think we're better than Seattle and Denver?

Seriously?

BossChief
08-30-2010, 10:23 PM

Dane, you are wrong.

Michael Turner didnt even have 6 carries in that game (our fist preseason game) he only had 4. He gained 29 yards. 1 reception for 6 yards. Not usre where you are pulling those numbers from... http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2010081353/2010/PRE1/chiefs@falcons

Apart from that, Im not sure how I feel about Hootie agreeing with my take damn near word for word, but it is what it is...we are right and in this instance.

I think the way this team has been ran over the last couple years has jaded your objectivity in a way.

The Eagles in no way shape or form "killed us in the air and the ground" not sure what game you were watching and what mentality you went into the game with, but it surely jaded your experience.

chiefzilla1501
08-30-2010, 10:23 PM
You are, without a doubt, the most annoying ****ing person to post in this forum.

Every ****ing thing you post has to be disputed, line by line, and quite frankly, I'm sick of it.

You can chose to see otherwise. I don't ****ing see it, at all.

I've said consistently, this team is a 6-8 team win with 6 being most realistic. I even called OTW out for suggesting that this team was even close to an 8-win team.

And sorry, Dane, but when you make a strong claim, you better be ready to back it up. And saying that the Chiefs got killed against Philly and Tampa on defense and that they would give up 40 points.... I have to call you out on that. Against Philly, they gave up 10 points in three quarters. They had one really long drive that led to a field goal. They had one TD on a 22-yard drive that resulted from a Charles fumble. You don't have to call that a great defensive performance, but it is far, far, far away from getting "killed." And c'mon, using Kafka in this argument because he thrashed our backup defense? That's foul play.

Against Tampa, the Bucs engineered one really solid drive against the Chiefs. And yes, with a backup QB. But apart from that, they gave up one Field Goal because of a Thomas JOnes fumble at midfield.

Sorry, I respect you and I'm sorry that you take our debate as annoying, but when I hear extreme opinions, I gotta call that out.

-King-
08-30-2010, 10:25 PM
And not to mention that only SF has a really good rush defense...Jamaal Charles will be running loose this year.

DaneMcCloud
08-30-2010, 10:47 PM
The Eagles in no way shape or form "killed us in the air and the ground" not sure what game you were watching and what mentality you went into the game with, but it surely jaded your experience.

Yeah, you're probably right.

When I see the same old thing, year after year, week after week, it all tends to run together.

Once these teams figure out almost immediately that they can score on their first possessions against the Chiefs with ease, they begin to make substitutions and pull starters.

The thing to keep in mind with these games is that while everyone here uses the "We're not gameplanning" excuse, the same can be said for each opponent.

Once they realize that the Chiefs can't stop them, they begin bringing in other players.

If ANY of these games had gone a full four quarters, the end result wouldn't have changed, but the point differential wouldn't have stayed the same, either.

BossChief
08-31-2010, 12:27 AM
Yeah, you're probably right.

When I see the same old thing, year after year, week after week, it all tends to run together.

Once these teams figure out almost immediately that they can score on their first possessions against the Chiefs with ease, they begin to make substitutions and pull starters.

The thing to keep in mind with these games is that while everyone here uses the "We're not gameplanning" excuse, the same can be said for each opponent.

Once they realize that the Chiefs can't stop them, they begin bringing in other players.

If ANY of these games had gone a full four quarters, the end result wouldn't have changed, but the point differential wouldn't have stayed the same, either.

The Eagles starters didnt do much against our starters. We played very well against them.

McCoy got ONE GOOD RUN and that's it. 5 carries for 28 yards and his touchdown run was 18 of those yards. That leaves 4 runs for 10 yards for the rest of his action...pretty good showing by our defense with one screw up against a team with a good OL.

Kolb 11-23 103 yards 0 tds 1int sacked 5 times and had a passer rating of 39 through three quarters iirc.

Not bad against a team that raped us at the beginning of the year last year.

IMO if we don't have two fluke, non forced, turnovers, we beat the Eagles in that game. Charles fumbling the handoff (to start the game) and them getting a gimme int off a poorly thrown ball that comes off the hands of the tight end that made a extremely good effort to get his hands on it are the only reason they had the opportunities to score that they did. It wasn't because they earned it.

They didn't pull starters, either. If they did, I missed it. I am in northern Cali watching games on my computer, so maybe I missed the substitutions but I dont think so.

Now, with all that said....I dont count that game for much. Its preseason. Same goes for if we won by 30 points. We wont know what kind of team we have until after 4 or 5 real games are played to see how we compete against superior, inferior and equal teams (talent wise) in REAL GAMES.

You know what Id like to see?

Cassel open up the MNF game with a 50 yard bomb to anyone to open up the game. Even if it falls incomplete, it would be nice to keep those safeties deep and not as close to the line as they often were for Philly.

A man can dream, right.

DaneMcCloud
08-31-2010, 12:30 AM
A man can dream, right.

Dream away, Brother

Hootie
08-31-2010, 12:31 AM
lmao dane...

yeah...

McCoy broke off one long TD run and then they pulled their starters because they decided they could score at will against us!

you're a real piece of work, my man...

and I have my doubts that you even WATCHED the game...because clearly you're just talking out of your ass...

outside of ONE possession...the Eagles didn't do SHIT against our defensive starters...and the one possession they did...they got the ball deep in our territory because of a Charles fumble.

Hootie
08-31-2010, 12:32 AM
if ANYTHING at all...

Kolb looked just as poor as Cassel which tells me it's going to be an "UH OH!" year for the Eagles...

the Cowboys, Giants and even the Redskins are going to make it a long, long year for the Eagles if Kolb plays like that again.

Mecca
08-31-2010, 12:33 AM
Basically what has been learned is this, if teams want to run the ball against this team they will.

Philly is not a running team at all yet if they fed McCoy he'd have had big stats. This team will once again rank in the bottom 5 in rush defense and wonder why it sits below 500.

DaneMcCloud
08-31-2010, 12:35 AM
if ANYTHING at all...

Kolb looked just as poor as Cassel which tells me it's going to be an "UH OH!" year for the Eagles...

the Cowboys, Giants and even the Redskins are going to make it a long, long year for the Eagles if Kolb plays like that again.

THIS I agree with.

Andy Reid really put his sack on the line. Kolb doesn't look ready, at ALL.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Kafka out there by mid-season.

BossChief
08-31-2010, 12:37 AM
the meat dragon must have put me on ignore.

I think its funny cause he called me worthless or something (coming from certain members, that is a compliment) and since putting me in ignore he posts the same takes I do, after I do, in the same threads.

Seems we must both be worthless in his opinion.

Mecca
08-31-2010, 12:39 AM
Kolb will be fine if they understand they do have to support him with a running game and can't ask him to throw it 45 times a game.

Andy Reid was once an offensive line coach yet he hates running the ball and is obsessed with passing, it's very weird.

Hootie
Basically what has been learned is this, if teams want to run the ball against this team they will.

Philly is not a running team at all yet if they fed McCoy he'd have had big stats. This team will once again rank in the bottom 5 in rush defense and wonder why it sits below 500.

learned from what? ROFL

One 18 yard run??

Haha...

If I've learned anything this preseason it's that our defense is going to be VASTLY improved and probably our best defense in 10 freaking years (which isn't really saying a whole lot)...

BossChief
Philly is not a running team at all yet if they fed McCoy he'd have had big stats.

:shake:

Hootie
08-31-2010, 12:43 AM
Kolb will be fine if they understand they do have to support him with a running game and can't ask him to throw it 45 times a game.

Andy Reid was once an offensive line coach yet he hates running the ball and is obsessed with passing, it's very weird.

Meh.

Our offense will be fine if we get Charles and McCluster a SHIT TON of touches (and I'm talking about carries for McCluster as well) and keep Matt throwing high percentage passes and trying to utilize the play-action game...

He sucks but New England proved they could cover up his inadequacies...why can't we?

The ceiling might not be very high but he's proven he can win in the NFL if surrounded with talent so thank god Pioli is trying to do just that.

Mecca
08-31-2010, 12:45 AM
Yea hey the fact that Atlanta ran all over them and that Tampa pretty easily moved the ball with their 2nd string QB playing most of the first half while being one of the 3 worst teams in the league is simply 1, 18 yard run.

Personally I thought they looked better against Tampa as a whole as they should of since Tampa is brutal.

The best way for the Chiefs to win games this year is to play teams that don't like to run the ball, teams that are committed to pounding it will gash the D.

DaneMcCloud
08-31-2010, 12:45 AM
the meat dragon must have put me on ignore.

I think its funny cause he called me worthless or something (coming from certain members, that is a compliment) and since putting me in ignore he posts the same takes I do, after I do, in the same threads.

Seems we must both be worthless in his opinion.

Who cares?

Hootie performs his same old 10-6 schtick every year. He insults everyone with an opinion and tells them they're wrong.

At the end of the year when he's proven wrong, he then further insults those that proved him wrong by telling them they spend way too much time in this forum and that ANYONE could have seen it coming (except of course, himself).

It's an endless Hootie circle jerk.

Mecca
08-31-2010, 12:47 AM
Hootie who told everyone they were an idiot if they didn't like the Tyson Jackson pick, I see that worked out for him.

Hootie
08-31-2010, 12:48 AM
Hootie who told everyone they were an idiot if they didn't like the Tyson Jackson pick, I see that worked out for him.

don't remember saying that

DaneMcCloud
08-31-2010, 12:48 AM
don't remember saying that

Like clockwork

BossChief
08-31-2010, 12:50 AM
Who cares?

Hootie performs his same old 10-6 schtick every year. He insults everyone with an opinion and tells them they're wrong.

At the end of the year when he's proven wrong, he then further insults those that proved him wrong by telling them they spend way too much time in this forum and that ANYONE could have seen it coming (except of course, himself).

It's an endless Hootie circle jerk.like I said, coming from certain members its a compliment.

Hootie
08-31-2010, 12:52 AM
I watched the entire Chiefs/Eagles game...

Our first team defense played exceptionally well...

Matt Cassel cracks me up...dude looks timid in the pocket...knows where he's throwing the ball before he even takes the snap 90% of the time...and their gameplan was to try to hide how terrible he was...

so yeah...

this could be one of those years where we'll think back and say...

"if only we had a QB!"

but I can't be too mad...Sanchez is bound to be a bust...so that's a wash for Jackson anyways...

The fact of the matter is...we have yet to pass on a franchise QB the past three years (Ryan went #3, Sanchez blows, Bradford went #1)...so yeah we may have wasted picks on Dorsey and Jackson but it's not like we could have gotten a franchise QB out of it so at least we won't have to watch Peyton Manning #2 lead his team to 8 straight 12 win seasons while we watch Tyson Jackson collecting welfare in 2015...at least we can just laugh about how can't miss Dorsey and dumbass Jackson were two of the worst picks ever made...right up there with Ryan Sims

Hootie
08-31-2010, 12:54 AM
Like clockwork

fine...

link me to the post where I said that

I remember being frustrated by the pick but I didn't strike out Pioli in his first 10 days on the job like some of you morons...

and if anything...

he's really showing he knows a thing or two about talent...

if Cassel TRULY sucks this year...there is NO PART of me that believes Pioli has too much of an ego to stick with the guy just because he made a mistake...

clearly Clausen wasn't all that...and clearly they didn't like Sanchez...

so they might all end up sucking

who gives a shit?

Pioli should get 5 years before Clark re-evaluates anything...

and the lack of patience by you idiots is embarassing

BossChief
08-31-2010, 12:58 AM
the lack of intelligence in hooties last two posts is astounding.

DaneMcCloud
08-31-2010, 01:15 AM
the lack of intelligence in hooties last two posts is astounding.

It's just par for the course.

Titty Meat
08-31-2010, 02:08 AM
Hootie is the biggest dipshit on here.

Sweet Daddy Hate
08-31-2010, 11:47 AM
Hootie is the biggest dipshit on here.

/thread.