PDA

View Full Version : Computers Excel geniuses

RockChalk
08-31-2010, 01:03 PM
Kind of a strange question, but if anyone can provide assistance I would sure appreciate it.

I do the "scorekeeping" for a charity event and have always used excel. What I want to know is if there is a possibility to assign point values for certain scores. I know this is vague, so I will use an example below.

Ex. - say one of the charity events is 9 holes of golf. Is there a formula/function I can use that says whoever shoots a 33, they are assigned a point value of 1? Whoever shoots 34 is assigned a point value of 2. 35 = 3, etc, etc.

I've always just kept track of this by hand, but thought it might be easier to do with functions.

Stewie
08-31-2010, 01:13 PM
Yes. Use an IF statement.

An example.

Put the score of 33 in cell A1. In cell B1 put the statement:

=IF(A1=33, 1, IF(A1=34, 2, "You lose"))

The second IF statement is like an ELSE statement. In the example if the score was 33 it would put 1 in cell B1, if 34 was the score it would put 2 in the cell, but if you enter 37 or some unassigend number You Lose would show up in the cell.

You can keep nesting IF statements. So, if you want to keep going instead of "You Lose" you would put another statement after the comma. IF(A1 = 35, 3, "You Lose")

Dayze
08-31-2010, 01:22 PM
Kind of a strange question, but if anyone can provide assistance I would sure appreciate it.

I do the "scorekeeping" for a charity event and have always used excel. What I want to know is if there is a possibility to assign point values for certain scores. I know this is vague, so I will use an example below.

Ex. - say one of the charity events is 9 holes of golf. Is there a formula/function I can use that says whoever shoots a 33, they are assigned a point value of 1? Whoever shoots 34 is assigned a point value of 2. 35 = 3, etc, etc.

I've always just kept track of this by hand, but thought it might be easier to do with functions.

or you could have a spread sheet , say with Name, Score, and Win etc as columns.
Open a second sheet in the work book, in A1 start out with "33" and B1 "1";
subsequent row A2 make "=A1+1" and drag down as many rows as you need. do the same formula in B2 "=B1+1"; drag down as many rows as you want.

go back to first worksheet.
in the 'Win' column enter formula =VLOOKUP(B3,Sheet2!A:B,2); this will pull the 'point' you've assigned to the score in the other worksheet and dump it in the first based on the score.

First sheet could look something like (very generic)
Score Win
Jone Doe 33 1
Jane Doe 35 3
Carl Peterson 36 4
Herm Edwards 33 1

you could then do an 'if' statement (if you wanted) or conditional formatting in column c to quickly identify winners etc.
oh, and you spelled genius wrong; everyone knows its' "Genious" :)

DaFace
08-31-2010, 01:25 PM
Both good suggestions, so I don't really have much to add. Basically, if you've got only a handful of scores to hand out, an IF statement will be easier. If you've got a ton of different ones, a lookup will save you a lot of trouble.

Dayze
08-31-2010, 01:26 PM
my edit didn"t take>

your first sheet could be very basic:
Column A: Name
Column B: Score
Column C: Point/Win, etc whatever.

RockChalk
08-31-2010, 02:58 PM
Thanks for the advice guys. After reading your posts about "IF" functions, it all came back to me. It's been 10 years since I did this stuff at KU.

It's simple enough for me to use the IF statements (thank god). I do remember the lookup functions and if this charity event grows, I may have to go that route.

Thanks again for your help!!