PDA

View Full Version : Weather The most terrifying day of my life

Sully
09-08-2010, 09:10 PM
Let me start by saying I've been pretty lucky. Never been in a war. Never really had to fear crime getting to my family in a violent way. Been pretty lucky.
Let me also say that when it comes to flying, I am a complete puss. The flying doesn't bother me. But the takeoffs and landings nearly bring me to tears.

Today, there was no nearly. I was a mess.

My (nearly) 2-yo's first plane ride. Just her and daddy. Flying from Austin to KC, through Dallas.
45 mins from Austin to Dallas. Left at 8:45. Finally landed in Dallas at 1pm.
Two aborted landings, including one where the plane ended up sideways and tipped on approach.

... I may never fly again!

siberian khatru
09-08-2010, 09:12 PM
YouTube video or GTFO.

Hog Farmer
09-08-2010, 09:14 PM
Next time don't tell the pilot you're a scaredy cat and he won't fuck with you like that.

BigMeatballDave
09-08-2010, 09:16 PM
Sorry to hear that. I hope your daughter wasnt too tramatized. I rarely fly, but when I do I find it exciting. Especially take off.

Lonewolf Ed
09-08-2010, 09:18 PM
All kidding aside, that is really a rarity and not the norm. I've been on many flights and the worst I had was flying into Cancun back in 1985. Landing in Chicago at O'Hare is almost always bumpy, so it helps when you expect it. I've also had landings so soft and easy, I never even felt a bump.

petegz28
09-08-2010, 09:18 PM
Was this in a puddle-jumper?

Deberg_1990
09-08-2010, 09:19 PM
wow.....glad to hear you are ok. I really hate flying....and i take 4 or 5 trips per year. I will never get used to it.

petegz28
09-08-2010, 09:20 PM
All kidding aside, that is really a rarity and not the norm. I've been on many flights and the worst I had was flying into Cancun back in 1985. Landing in Chicago at O'Hare is almost always bumpy, so it helps when you expect it. I've also had landings so soft and easy, I never even felt a bump.

I agree. I have never had a smooth flight into Chicago. And I hate landing in KC because since it is so flat they take their time on descent as opposed to Phoenix where they just pretty much go down fast because of the mountains and such.

Smoothest flight I have ever had was from KC to SF and back. Midwest express. Not a bump, it was great.

Had a rough flight coming back from Boston once flying into 110 knot headwinds. That was scary.

petegz28
09-08-2010, 09:22 PM
wow.....glad to hear you are ok. I really hate flying....and i take 4 or 5 trips per year. I will never get used to it.

I don't mind flying. In fact I love it. It's the crashing part that freaks me out. I saw a thing on Mythbusters where they were talking about plane crashes. They said something like 80% of the time people survive the crash but die from smoke inhalation because their legs are broke and they can't get out. Pretty fucked up way to go.

keg in kc
09-08-2010, 09:25 PM
The local airport (http://www.flybluefield.com/) when I was a kid was literally cut out of the top of a mountain.

Now that was a fun place for take-offs and landings.

Sully
09-08-2010, 09:34 PM
Was this in a puddle-jumper?

A Super 8.
American Airlines.
After the two aborted landings we diverted to Tulsa for a few hours, before they made most of us go back to Dallas, where the weather was still shitty (and where there were tornadoes just after we finally left for KC).

Good thing was the baby girl slept through all the bad stuff. And she never sleeps in odd places, so it was weird.

Mr. Flopnuts
09-08-2010, 09:35 PM
:( Damn. I'm glad you're okay man. You going to Arrowhead on Monday night?

KCUnited
09-08-2010, 09:39 PM
Statistically you're golden now.

'Hamas' Jenkins
Once you get where you're going, take off your shoes and your socks and walk around barefoot on the rug and make fists with your toes.

Sully
:( Damn. I'm glad you're okay man. You going to Arrowhead on Monday night?

That's why I made the trip.

TrebMaxx
09-08-2010, 09:40 PM
There have been a few times when I was very happy to be walking "out" of the terminal. Glad you eventually landed safely and walked out of the terminal too.

petegz28
09-08-2010, 09:41 PM
That's why I made the trip.

Made the trip? Did you move? Are you a Texan now????

Deberg_1990
A Super 8.
American Airlines.
After the two aborted landings we diverted to Tulsa for a few hours, before they made most of us go back to Dallas, where the weather was still shitty (and where there were tornadoes just after we finally left for KC).

Good thing was the baby girl slept through all the bad stuff. And she never sleeps in odd places, so it was weird.

So whats the whole story? Why couldnt the plane land?? Did the airline apologize??

Sully
Once you get where you're going, take off your shoes and your socks and walk around barefoot on the rug and make fists with your toes.

Fists witch yuh toes...
Fists witch yuh toes...

Sully
09-08-2010, 09:43 PM
Made the trip? Did you move? Are you a Texan now????

Yeah.
We moved there about 6 weeks ago.

petegz28
09-08-2010, 09:43 PM
FTR, Sully, not that I am an avid traveler, but I have never had a smooth flight on American or Delta for that matter. I don't know why? I do know that DFW is a bitch of an airport and I cringe whenever I have to fly to or through there. I was on a flight where we kept starting to land then the pilot would pull off because they runway clouded over and we couldn't land. Talk about air sick.

Buck
09-08-2010, 09:44 PM
Glad you're okay man.

-King-
09-08-2010, 09:45 PM
Riding on a plane >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Road trip.

Fruit Ninja
i hear you, fuck flying, i hate the take offs. I wont do it, my new rule is if i cant drive there, i shouldnt be there.

Sully
So whats the whole story? Why couldnt the plane land?? Did the airline apologize??

Heavy rain and windshear.
They apologized, but were complete dicks otherwise.

siberian khatru
09-08-2010, 09:46 PM
Riding on a plane >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Cassel.

FYP

Hog Farmer
09-08-2010, 09:46 PM
I don't mind flying. In fact I love it. It's the crashing part that freaks me out. I saw a thing on Mythbusters where they were talking about plane crashes. They said something like 80% of the time people survive the crash but die from smoke inhalation because their legs are broke and they can't get out. Pretty ****ed up way to go.

That makes me feel better. I've always been scared of dying instantly ! If this is the case I've still got opportunity to feel up the hot chick sitting next to me.

Buck
09-08-2010, 09:48 PM
i hear you, fuck flying, i hate the take offs. I wont do it, my new rule is if i cant drive there, i shouldnt be there.

Yep, taking off sucks. I feel sick everytime it happens. And no matter where I want to fly, I can only seem to get trips where I have to fly twice to get there. That sucks.

As much as I'm looking forward to going to KC, I'm not looking forward to the 4 flights I have coming up.

tonyetony
09-08-2010, 09:48 PM
I used to be a white knuckle flyer a long time ago but now I feel like I'm sitting in a bus......funny thing is that riding in a bus is probably more dangerous statistically.

Jerm
09-08-2010, 09:49 PM
I flew in and out of the airport where United 93 departed from a month before 9/11...ever since that happened, I've been scared shitless to fly.

Driving doesn't bother me either, sometimes it's enjoyable.

Sully
09-08-2010, 09:50 PM
FTR, Sully, not that I am an avid traveler, but I have never had a smooth flight on American or Delta for that matter. I don't know why? I do know that DFW is a bitch of an airport and I cringe whenever I have to fly to or through there. I was on a flight where we kept starting to land then the pilot would pull off because they runway clouded over and we couldn't land. Talk about air sick.

Beginning in November, Southwest (which I really don't like) will have flights direct from Austin to KC, so I doubt I'll use American any longer.

Hog Farmer
You should try flying into Afghanistan on a hot chopper.

siberian khatru
I'm weird. I love airplanes and flying, but I'm terrified of crashing. Everytime I board a plane, I think I'm going to die. But I love takeoffs, landings, cruising at altitude ...

Does that make any sense?

petegz28
09-08-2010, 09:51 PM
[/B]

That makes me feel better. I've always been scared of dying instantly ! If this is the case I've still got opportunity to feel up the hot chick sitting next to me.

LMAO!!!!

They said if you are in a crash position with your arms on the seat on front of you and your head resting on your arms there is little chance you will sustain enough g-forces to snap your neck. However the seats crumbling around your legs are sure to break your legs thus leaving you to die with lungs full of smoke. I imagine a lot of people are dead before they hit the ground from shock alone.

tonyetony
09-08-2010, 09:53 PM
LMAO!!!!

They said if you are in a crash position with your arms on the seat on front of you and your head resting on your arms there is little chance you will sustain enough g-forces to snap your neck. However the seats crumbling around your legs are sure to break your legs thus leaving you to die with lungs full of smoke. I imagine a lot of people are dead before they hit the ground from shock alone.

How fucking comforting.

petegz28
09-08-2010, 09:53 PM
Beginning in November, Southwest (which I really don't like) will have flights direct from Austin to KC, so I doubt I'll use American any longer.

Southwest isn't much better. I fly them to Phoenix. Some flights are better than others. After my trip to SF on Midwest I have to wonder if some of the more terrible flights are from the pilot being more worried about getting there as opposed to making sure it is a comfortable flight?

petegz28
09-08-2010, 09:55 PM
I'm weird. I love airplanes and flying, but I'm terrified of crashing. Everytime I board a plane, I think I'm going to die. But I love takeoffs, landings, cruising at altitude ...

Yes, that is exactly how I am. I have had anxiety attacks before getting on a plane. They say it is safter than traveling by car but I have to think that there is a good chance I am walking away or at lest coming out alive of most car accidents. Falling 30,000 feet doesn't seem like something you are going to come out of alive.

Hog Farmer
09-08-2010, 09:56 PM
Pilots get nervous flying into Phoenix. They are worried the police are going to ask them for their birth certificate.

FAX
09-08-2010, 09:56 PM
A Super 8.
American Airlines.

Wow. That is unusual, Mr. Sully. I'll bet Peyton Manning was the pilot.

Glad you're okay, though ... and your girl, of course.

My worst flying experience was a 10- or 12-seat prop plane from Denver to Cody Wyoming in the Wintertime. I knew for sure that I was going to die in the mountains when the plane started going sideways through a pass. The landing was a semi-controlled crash. Just thinking about it makes me break out in a cold sweat.

FAX

Gonzo
09-08-2010, 09:59 PM
Dude, that's some scary shit. Glad you and the little one are ok.
Posted via Mobile Device

DeezNutz
09-08-2010, 10:01 PM

My worst flying experience was a 10- or 12-seat prop plane from Denver to Cody Wyoming in the Wintertime. I knew for sure that I was going to die in the mountains when the plane started going sideways through a pass. The landing was a semi-controlled crash. Just thinking about it makes me break out in a cold sweat.

FAX

Buddy Holly posts here? That's pretty cool.

siberian khatru
09-08-2010, 10:02 PM
Buddy Holly posts here? That's pretty cool.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/KlSefQglcQI?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/KlSefQglcQI?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Deberg_1990
09-08-2010, 10:02 PM

There is no such thing as a good airline. They all suck equally.

Airports, and flying have really become a drag to be honest. Id say anything under a 6 hour drive is worth more to me to drive.

notorious
09-08-2010, 10:03 PM
Flying is funny.

I have around 5000 hours flying to all corners of the US, along with Canada and Mexico. I have had two engine failures (one at night in a single), but I have only been near to fear at one time in my life.

Leaving Vegas after our honeymoon I thought about what would happened if a bomb went off. Maybe it was the gallons of liquor consumed during the trip and that I wasn't at the controls, but once that thought entered my mind, I couldn't get it out until we were leveled off.

Weird stuff.

petegz28
09-08-2010, 10:03 PM
Was this the kind of plane that it was?

http://www.teraphic.co.uk/fs/images/downloads/s80classic/twaaa_large.png

petegz28
09-08-2010, 10:04 PM
Flying is funny.

I have around 5000 hours flying to all corners of the US, along with Canada and Mexico. I have had two engine failures (one at night in a single), but I have only been near to fear at one time in my life.

Leaving Vegas after our honeymoon I thought about what would happened if a bomb went off. Maybe it was the gallons of liquor consumed during the trip and that I wasn't in control, but once that thought entered my mind, I couldn't get it out until we were leveled off.

Weird stuff.

You had an engine failure in a single-engine plane?

Mosbonian
09-08-2010, 10:05 PM
Sully:

I am glad to hear that you and your 2 y/o are OK. And sorry you had to have such a scary flight.

I've flown hundreds of flights over my many years in business, and I've been lucky in not having many scary ones. But there are 3 flights I will never forget, one had benefits and the other 2 almost made me have to change undies.

1) 1978- Taking only my 3 rd plane flight ever on an old Piedmont Airlines jet from Charlotte to Memphis. Any of you who have ever flown into Memphis know what I am talking about. As you descend there is a small period that you feel like you are on a washboard if you are on a regional jet. Well that particular night i was sitting next to a young Hispanic lady with LONG fingernails while we were trying to descend during a pretty rugged storm. We hit the "washboard" and also caught a big gust of downward force giving the appearance that we were in a small dive. She was so scared (I admit I was also) that she reached for my hand and dug her fingernails in deep enough it required a tetanus shot and stitches to close. She was so embarassed that she accompanied me to the Infirmary in the Airport and stayed with me while i waited for medical treatment. We both missed our flight and needed to get a hotel room. The airline paid for mine, so we shared a room.

2) 1992- I was living in KC at the time and was flying Southwest from KC to San Antonio for an Industry Group meeting. We left at 3:30 pm with a quick stop in OKC and then on to San Antonio.We landed in OKC without and issue, but after refueling and taking off, I felt like I was on the flight from the Twilight Zone (monkeys on the wing!). We pitched back and forth and hit weather so bad they made us land in Dallas till the line of storms blew over. We sat there for 2 hours.

We left Dallas for SA only to encounter another batch of storms pounding San Antonio and causing us to circle while the storm pattern worked it's way thru. We circled so long that that Pilot finally came on and said: "Ladies and Gentleman, we are going to detour to Houston to refuel the plane because as long a wait as we are expected to have circling and waiting for clearance to land, we would probably run out of fuel" Imagine the panice of people not knowing it takes more fuel to circle than it does to fly straight. I finally made it to my hotel room in San Antonio at 3 AM for a meeting that started at 8 AM.

3) June of this year I've been to Vegas many, many times and have slept thru most every flight. NOT THIS ONE. The flight from Lexington to Dallas was a yawner....but once we left Dallas, we were on a wooden roller coaster ride all 2 1/2 hours there. The Pilot never turned off the fasten seat belt sign, the Flight Attendants had to brace themselves and hurriedly handed out drinks and snacks and rarely passed thru the cabin. 2 or 3 times I was sure they were going to divert us because of turbulence. I was never so happy to finally land.

And Sully...if you really want to test your tolerance for flight, take the puddle-jumper from Columbia MO to STL, MO. Talk about an adventure on a windy day!

mmaddog

siberian khatru
09-08-2010, 10:06 PM
There is no such thing as a good airline. They all suck equally.

Airports, and flying have really become a drag to be honest. Id say anything under a 6 hour drive is worth more to me to drive.

This is true. I flew a lot as a kid in the 70s, and it was fun.

Nowadays it's like riding the bus. All the stewardesses (er, sorry, flight attendants) are over 40, they're surly, the planes are crowded, the seats are smaller, service is minimal, there's more delays (or at least there seems to be), people are ruder, they wear their fucking pajamas on the planes ... ugh.

But I do love airplanes and flying. I just don't like airlines and people. And crashing.

FAX
09-08-2010, 10:08 PM
I used to fly constantly ... I've been everywhere, I think. Used to hate turbulence ... just hated it ... scared the crap out of me.

Then, one time I was coming back to Nashville from Denver and I happened to sit next to a chick who was a flight trainer ... I guess with Northwest maybe ... or maybe it was American ... whatever ... she certified pilots on jumbo jets ...

Anyhow, we ran into some bad ass turbulence along the way and I couldn't help but notice that she couldn't care less about it. When I inquired about her attitude, she said, "What you're feeling is the plane doing what it's supposed to do. It's flying." Since that day, it never bothered me again. All I do is remember that face ... and the perfect legs ... and the long, blond hair ... and those smokey, sky-blue eyes ... and I know deep down inside that, if I die in a fiery crash from smoke inhalation, she'll be waiting for me as I walk into the light.

FAX

Sully
So, on the first approach, the pilot told us we were going to be in a holding pattern for a while till the weather cleared. Almost immediately, he comes back on and says, "They say we've got a little window, so we are gonna try and make it.
We are coming down like normal. You can tell he's fighting the wind... But nothing out of the ordinary. We come in, and are no more than 20 feet above the runway, when suddenly the pilot punches the gas, raises the gear, and starts climbing. That's pretty disconcerting, but the fact that I kept feeling no gravity during the climb, which led me to believe we were in free fall for many seconds at a time, is what really fucked me up.

KcMizzou
This is true. I flew a lot as a kid in the 70s, and it was fun.

Nowadays it's like riding the bus. All the stewardesses (er, sorry, flight attendants) are over 40, they're surly, the planes are crowded, the seats are smaller, service is minimal, there's more delays (or at least there seems to be), people are ruder, they wear their fucking pajamas on the planes ... ugh.

But I do love airplanes and flying. I just don't like airlines and people. And crashing.This post brought to you by Don Draper.

(not that I disagree)

notorious
09-08-2010, 10:12 PM
You had an engine failure in a single-engine plane?

About 7 miles north of Clarendon, Tx. I had taken a cattle inspector out to Florida and Georgia in a Piper Lance (6 seater single, 300hp), just dropped him off around 11pm and was heading back to Dodge when I noticed the oil pressure dropping. A strange pinging noise started getting louder so I immediately turned back. I dropped the throttle and slowly glided the plane back to the runway (engine was idle but banging away).

Just as a dropped the landing gear BOOM!!!! The airplane started shaking badly and I thought the engine was going to come out of the cowling. I managed to touch down just at the end of the runway and taxi in.

The next day we opened the cowl and found a 2 inch hole blown out of the top of the block. All of the engine oil was present, if it would have lost oil the engine would have completely seized in flight and I would probably be taking a dirt nap right now.

This all happened about 1500 hours ago. Seems like yesterday.

siberian khatru
Sully:

I am glad to hear that you and your 2 y/o are OK. And sorry you had to have such a scary flight.

I've flown hundreds of flights over my many years in business, and I've been lucky in not having many scary ones. But there are 3 flights I will never forget, one had benefits and the other 2 almost made me have to change undies.

1) 1978- Taking only my 3 rd plane flight ever on an old Piedmont Airlines jet from Charlotte to Memphis. Any of you who have ever flown into Memphis know what I am talking about. As you descend there is a small period that you feel like you are on a washboard if you are on a regional jet. Well that particular night i was sitting next to a young Hispanic lady with LONG fingernails while we were trying to descend during a pretty rugged storm. We hit the "washboard" and also caught a big gust of downward force giving the appearance that we were in a small dive. She was so scared (I admit I was also) that she reached for my hand and dug her fingernails in deep enough it required a tetanus shot and stitches to close. She was so embarassed that she accompanied me to the Infirmary in the Airport and stayed with me while i waited for medical treatment. We both missed our flight and needed to get a hotel room. The airline paid for mine, so we shared a room.

2) 1992- I was living in KC at the time and was flying Southwest from KC to San Antonio for an Industry Group meeting. We left at 3:30 pm with a quick stop in OKC and then on to San Antonio.We landed in OKC without and issue, but after refueling and taking off, I felt like I was on the flight from the Twilight Zone (monkeys on the wing!). We pitched back and forth and hit weather so bad they made us land in Dallas till the line of storms blew over. We sat there for 2 hours.

We left Dallas for SA only to encounter another batch of storms pounding San Antonio and causing us to circle while the storm pattern worked it's way thru. We circled so long that that Pilot finally came on and said: "Ladies and Gentleman, we are going to detour to Houston to refuel the plane because as long a wait as we are expected to have circling and waiting for clearance to land, we would probably run out of fuel" Imagine the panice of people not knowing it takes more fuel to circle than it does to fly straight. I finally made it to my hotel room in San Antonio at 3 AM for a meeting that started at 8 AM.

3) June of this year I've been to Vegas many, many times and have slept thru most every flight. NOT THIS ONE. The flight from Lexington to Dallas was a yawner....but once we left Dallas, we were on a wooden roller coaster ride all 2 1/2 hours there. The Pilot never turned off the fasten seat belt sign, the Flight Attendants had to brace themselves and hurriedly handed out drinks and snacks and rarely passed thru the cabin. 2 or 3 times I was sure they were going to divert us because of turbulence. I was never so happy to finally land.

And Sully...if you really want to test your tolerance for flight, take the puddle-jumper from Columbia MO to STL, MO. Talk about an adventure on a windy day!

mmaddog

My dad flew a TON when I was a kid, but he said he had only one moment when he thought he'd bought it -- plane got hit by lightning during a storm and took a steep dive. He said he immediately thought of his family and thought, "Well, this is it."

But he had a co-worker who survived TWO plane crashes, at least one of which had fatalities. Yet, he kept flying for business reasons. Dad said the guy had to get heavily self-medicated before boarding.

siberian khatru
This post brought to you by Don Draper.

ROFL

petegz28
09-08-2010, 10:16 PM
About 7 miles north of Clarendon, Tx. I had taken a cattle inspector out to Florida and Georgia in a Piper Lance (6 seater single, 300hp), just dropped him off around 11pm and was heading back to Dodge when I noticed the oil pressure dropping. A strange pinging noise started getting louder so I immediately turned back. I dropped the throttle and slowly glided the plane back to the runway (engine was idle but banging away).

Just as a dropped the landing gear BOOM!!!! The airplane started shaking badly and I thought the engine was going to come out of the cowling. I managed to touch down just at the end of the runway and taxi in.

The next day we opened the cowl and found a 2 inch hole blown out of the top of the block. All of the engine oil was present, if it would have lost oil the engine would have completely seized in flight and I would probably be taking a dirt nap right now.

This all happened about 1500 hours ago. Seems like yesterday.

Dude that is some scary poo there.

Sully
09-08-2010, 10:18 PM
We circle around for attempt number two.
Coming down through the clouds, same as the first approach, but a little higher, suddenly the plane is sideways, and the left wing dips way down. Power up, nose up, people (me) yelling, and general panic.
The stewardess had to come on and tell us all to calm down. I keep looking at my daughter and thinking, "not her," and had tears streaming down my face.

notorious
09-08-2010, 10:22 PM
Dude that is some scary poo there.

I was wired to the max during the approach but I slept like a baby that night.

Second failure wasn't as intense. I was coming back from OJC (Johnson County) and had issues just south of Lyons. Babied the plane to the runway and found out the next day that the crankshaft had nearly broken in half.

The bad part was that the warranty on the engine expired 25 hours before. That sucked.

Mosbonian
09-08-2010, 10:23 PM
My dad flew a TON when I was a kid, but he said he had only one moment when he thought he'd bought it -- plane got hit by lightning during a storm and took a steep dive. He said he immediately thought of his family and thought, "Well, this is it."

But he had a co-worker who survived TWO plane crashes, at least one of which had fatalities. Yet, he kept flying for business reasons. Dad said the guy had to get heavily self-medicated before boarding.

I know this sounds really weird, but I started this several years ago when I was doing a lot of traveling. ( I was a Platinum Flyer on 2 airlines)

Now, the night before I leave I write my wife and children each a little note. I seal each one in a separate envelope and label them. I then put them in a spot that my wife and I have agreed upon. If something should ever happen she will open hers and give the kids theirs.

Morbid I know....but it makes me feel better.

mmaddog

petegz28
09-08-2010, 10:23 PM
Coming down through the clouds, same as the first approach, but a little higher, suddenly the plane is sideways, and the left wing dips way down. Power up, nose up, people (me) yelling, and general panic.
The stewardess had to come on and tell us all to calm down. I keep looking at my daughter and thinking, "not her," and had tears streaming down my face.

Again this makes me wonder what the priorities of the airlines are at times? They know the weather conditions. In fact DFW was the scene of a crash of a plane during landing from a micro-burst. They have since equiped planes to detect such, don't worry. But when a pilot is trying to land a plane full of passengers with a "small window" of acceptable weather in otherwise unacceptable weather you wonder if it would just be safer to divert in the first place instead of taking your chances with a 30 second window or such?

Buck
09-08-2010, 10:24 PM

About 3 weeks ago I was flying from Milwaukee to San Diego and I was listening to the Padres game on XM Radio (or Sirius not sure) on the plane. The Padres hit back to back homers to tie it in the 9th and I yelled quite loudly when they hit the 2nd one. It was dark in the plane, but I'm sure they knew it was me.

petegz28
09-08-2010, 10:25 PM
I was wired to the max during the approach but I slept like a baby that night.

Second failure wasn't as intense. I was coming back from OJC (Johnson County) and had issues just south of Lyons. Babied the plane to the runway and found out the next day that the crankshaft had nearly broken in half.

The bad part was that the warranty on the engine expired 25 hours before. That sucked.

My Uncle is a mechanic for American. The most comforting things he told me about flying were this...

1. The pilot doesn't want to die
2. One engine can fly those big planes enough to make a safe landing if other engines go out.

That has since eased my worry. I only worry about pilot error now.

notorious
09-08-2010, 10:26 PM
My Uncle is a mechanic for American. The most comforting things he told me about flying were this...

2. One engine can fly those big planes enough to make a safe landing if other engines go out.

He is right. Pilots are the weak link in the equation.

petegz28
09-08-2010, 10:29 PM
He is right. Pilots are the weak link in the equation.

I just know whever I take off in bad, particularly icy weather I get flashbacks of the plane that crashed over the Potomac river because the pilot was a moron. Or maybe I am uninformed of what caused the crash besides ice on the wings.

Buck
09-08-2010, 10:31 PM
I just know whever I take off in bad, particularly icy weather I get flashbacks of the plane that crashed over the Potomac river because the pilot was a moron. Or maybe I am uninformed of what caused the crash besides ice on the wings.

The debate is weather he said "on" or "off" during the routine checks before the flight when asked about the wing de-icers or something like that.

notorious
09-08-2010, 10:54 PM
I like ice in my drinks instead of on my wings.

Pablo
09-08-2010, 10:56 PM
When I worked for FedEx at KCI; the last thing you wanted to see come out was the de-icing rig. You knew it was gonna be a long fucking night if you were on the fueling crew.

Buehler445
09-08-2010, 11:03 PM
Jesus dude. Glad you're OK.

If you're legitimately scared of flying, you should pay an instructor to fly you around in something slow and easy like a cessna 172 or something. That way you can watch how easy the thing works. If you understand what is going on, it won't be nearly as scary.
Posted via Mobile Device

DaneMcCloud
09-08-2010, 11:04 PM
:deevee:

notorious
09-08-2010, 11:04 PM

LMAO

Sully
09-08-2010, 11:07 PM

I know.

BIG_DADDY
09-08-2010, 11:08 PM
God is trying to tell you something.

notorious
09-08-2010, 11:10 PM
I know.

Don't feel bad, when I had my moment my daughter was priority number 1.

I can't imagine having her sit next to me and not be in control in that situation.

Sully
09-08-2010, 11:12 PM
Jesus dude. Glad you're OK.

If you're legitimately scared of flying, you should pay an instructor to fly you around in something slow and easy like a cessna 172 or something. That way you can watch how easy the thing works. If you understand what is going on, it won't be nearly as scary.
Posted via Mobile Device

I'm not scared of flying as much as I'm scared of not flying... When I'm supposed to be flying.

Thig Lyfe
09-08-2010, 11:12 PM
You'd think a guy who landed a plane in the Hudson would be used to this sort of thing.

Sully
09-08-2010, 11:14 PM

Monday Night Football Chiefs = Near Death?

DaneMcCloud
09-08-2010, 11:14 PM

Yeah, he's saying "Sully, you're a fucking PUSSY"!

ROFL

notorious
09-08-2010, 11:15 PM
You'd think a guy who landed a plane in the Hudson would be used to this sort of thing.

I found that slightly ironic, too.

Sully
09-08-2010, 11:16 PM

Ironic!

BIG_DADDY
09-08-2010, 11:23 PM
Monday Night Football Chiefs = Near Death?

Only you can answer that grasshopper. Stay on the path.

Sully
09-08-2010, 11:27 PM
Yeah, he's saying "Sully, you're a fucking PUSSY"!

ROFL

I'll own it, dude.
I feel like my daughter and I are going to crash... I am a vajeen.

DaneMcCloud
09-08-2010, 11:29 PM
I'll own it, dude.
I feel like my daughter and I are going to crash... I am a vajeen.

First off, you weren't going to crash and didn't.

Secondly, for both of you, I hope that's the WORST day either of you EVER experience.

That would be a walk in the park compared to many.

BIG_DADDY
09-08-2010, 11:30 PM
Yeah, he's saying "Sully, you're a ****ing PUSSY"!

ROFL

Oh give him a break Dane. The guy I work with is a black belt in jiu-jitsu and competes in all the major tournaments. He is fearless in fighting, motorcycles, cars and all kinds of things that would scare the shit out of most people. He is terrified of flying though, it cracks me up. He is on a short flight from SFO to San Diego Friday and is already scared. When you have no fear of flight it is hard to understand.

I love flying and would look forward to it if I was in first class all the time. The only thing I hate is being stuck in those tiny seats with zero leg room. That and for some reason I have had the biggest losers next to me on the last few flights. The last one's sat right behind me with their very sick infant hacking all over me the entire flight. Their last serious discussion was on whether they should dress him as a boy or a girl tomorrow. They were obviously on Obamas 99 week program.

DaneMcCloud
09-08-2010, 11:39 PM
Oh give him a break Dane. The guy I work with is a black belt in jiu-jitsu and competes in all the major tournaments. He is fearless in fighting, motorcycles, cars and all kinds of things that would scare the shit out of most people. He is terrified of flying though, it cracks me up. He is on a short flight from SFO to San Diego Friday and is already scared. When you have no fear of flight it is hard to understand.

There are hundreds of scenarios that I could describe that are FAR worse than what he experienced today.

Let's just be happy that those didn't occur.

Sully
09-08-2010, 11:42 PM
First off, you weren't going to crash and didn't.

Secondly, for both of you, I hope that's the WORST day either of you EVER experience.

That would be a walk in the park compared to many.

That's true. I went into it paranoid to begin with, and what happened fed into that. You aren't breaking any new ground by calling me a pussy for it, considering I copped to that in the OP.

As far as others having it worse, I completely agree. Just reading noswad's thread alone puts the "most terrifying day of my life" in stark contrast.

Dallas Chief
09-09-2010, 01:47 AM
A Super 8.
American Airlines.

Holy Crap! I was at DFW today when all that went down. My co-worker's wife is a flight attendant for AA and she called him about 15 minutes after that happened. Needless to say I was freaked out getting on my MD-80 headed for San Diego. Glad you and your family are safe...

yhf
09-09-2010, 01:57 AM
The weather in Dallas was flat fucked yesterday. Can't imagine how tense you were on the flight. Glad to hear you and your little one made it through alright.

Hog Farmer
09-09-2010, 07:10 AM

Did he also tell you that if one wing breaks off that the plane can't fly with just the other wing and it won't matter that the pilot doesn't want to die.

Baby Lee
09-09-2010, 07:46 AM

I love takeoffs. Of course I'm an acceleration junkie.

Bwana
09-09-2010, 07:59 AM
I had an "interesting landing" in Salt Lake last year. The captain did the old side to side, lets try it 3 times technique. On the 3rd try, we landed, kind of. It went Whap, bounce, bounce, skid. A few of the overhead bins flew open and crap feel out from the jolts. Some folks were shaken up and a few were screaming in fear. When I got off the jet, I stopped at the front of the jet and the pilot had a look like "oh crap" on his face. I looked at him and said, "was that a landing, or were we shot down?" He didn't say a word.

ChiTown
09-09-2010, 08:06 AM
I've been in an emergency landing before flying into Charleston, WV on a single engine plane back in the early 90's. We hit hard and skidded off the run way. Not fun.

The worst was one of my trips flying from San Fran to Beijing. We hit some massive Pacific storms en-route, burned a bunch of fuel with head winds and trying to avoid the storm, and had to bail short of our destination in Tokyo. That one had me praying.

Baconeater
09-09-2010, 08:06 AM
I love takeoffs. Of course I'm an acceleration junkie.
Same here, it's the only part of flying I like.

Bwana
09-09-2010, 08:15 AM
Same here, it's the only part of flying I like.

I have no fear at all when it comes to flying, other than not making connections, cancelations, delays, the pain in the ass of going through the TSA and getting hung out to dry at airports because of those things.

Flying has changed a lot over the last 20 years and has mutated into nothing more than a Grayhound bus with wings. Because of that, I really hate to fly and will drive, if my target destination is within a reasonable distance.

bevischief
09-09-2010, 08:18 AM
I had an "interesting landing" in Salt Lake last year. The captain did the old side to side, lets try it 3 times technique. On the 3rd try, we landed, kind of. It went Whap, bounce, bounce, skid. A few of the overhead bins flew open and crap feel out from the jolts. Some folks were shaken up and a few were screaming in fear. When I got off the jet, I stopped at the front of the jet and the pilot had a look like "oh crap" on his face. I looked at him and said, "was that a landing, or were we shot down?" He didn't say a word.

ROFL

bevischief
09-09-2010, 08:18 AM
Glad to hear you are ok.

ChiTown
09-09-2010, 08:20 AM
I have no fear at all when it comes to flying, other than not making connections, cancelations, delays, the pain in the ass of going through the TSA and getting hung out to dry at airports because of those things.

Flying has changed a lot over the last 20 years and has mutated into nothing more than a Grayhound bus with wings. Because of that, I really hate to fly and will drive, if my target destination is within a reasonable distance.

Brother, you and I are completely on the same page
:clap:

bevischief
09-09-2010, 08:20 AM
After all those training videos in the Air Force, and flying on Air Force planes I will not fly sober.

tooge
09-09-2010, 08:25 AM
I hate flying. I usually need to get somewhat drunk to get on a plane, and then I'm always getting up to pee. I'm partly claustrophobic, partly afraid of heights, and a complete control freak. Put those together, and being at 35,000 feet crammed into a metal tube with a bunch of limpdicks, and its bad for me. If the trip is less than 10 hours I'm drivin. I didn't mind flying as a kid and young adult, but as the seats got smaller and the "cattle drive" got worse, I began to loathe it.

Baconeater
09-09-2010, 08:33 AM

I don't fear it all that much. I hate it for pretty much all the reasons you listed, but my absolute pet peeve is having to wait for all the the idiots who won't check luggage and drag all their shit on board to round it up before I can get the hell off of the damn thing. Luckily I rarely have to deal with it.

MOhillbilly
09-09-2010, 08:34 AM
Scrared screaming is the best part. Always good for a giggle.

BIG_DADDY
09-09-2010, 10:34 AM

Awesome!!! I gotta remember that.

MOhillbilly
09-09-2010, 10:42 AM
i heart the nervous flyer who freaks out on approach. The landing gear goin down is always good for a sit up straight and look around to see if anyone else is freaked out.

Demonpenz
09-09-2010, 10:48 AM
I always wear a turban and yell LA LALALALALALLALALALA when we take off.

Chief Henry
09-09-2010, 10:53 AM
That landing sucked, but you were able to walk away with your daughter. I hope she didn't get scarred for life now of planes. I've flown about 30 times in my life and nothing
like that has ever happened to me. I hope it never happens either.

ChiTown
09-09-2010, 10:58 AM
That landing sucked, but you were able to walk away with your daughter. I hope she didn't get scarred for life now of planes. I've flown about 30 times in my life and nothing
like that has ever happened to me. I hope it never happens either.

I used to be on a plane every week. That sort of shit happened several times a year. I just got used to it, and realized (hoped) they had it under control.

Jilly
09-09-2010, 11:00 AM
I would think her not breathing the first nine min of her life would be the Most terrifying and this would be second terrifying and marrying me would be third most terrifying..... unless that's like the whole grape, cherry, strawberry argument.

And albeit you were a mess, you still managed to get to KC with you and my daughter in one piece and that's all I care about. But the next time I have a horrible gut feeling when I wake up in the morning about you flying, I'm not letting you go!

Otter
09-09-2010, 11:01 AM

So if I'm ever boarding a plane and the pilot is standing there mumbling things under his breath like "we'll see how those bastards at the IRS like fire!" I should probably catch the next run?

:D

My scariest landing was coming into Chicago Airport on a windy as hell day in the middle of winter. The guy next to me looked like he was trying to pass a watermelon and a lady behind me was praying and letting out small screams along with most rest of the plane. I remember at one point looking out the window and was looking almost straight down at the ground where the plane was close enough to read the letters on the side of trucks.

I closed my eyes and tried to back to sleep. Not a whole lot else I could do except give myself a couple gray hairs.

RockChalk
09-09-2010, 11:20 AM

I'm assuming the young hispanic lass made up for her injuring you.

There has to be more to the story than this....

DJ's left nut
09-09-2010, 11:37 AM

FAX

You'll see guys do the 'sideways' thing fairly often in small planes.

It's called a 'slip' maneuver and it's done to bleed off altitude quickly without losing your orientation. You essentially stomp on the rudder to yaw the front end in one direction while leaning on the flaps in the other direction to keep it moving straight. I've never done one, but I've had instructors do it with me in the plane.

It is not a comfortable feeling, that's for damn sure. Fishtailing a plane just does not seem right.

I'll say this - the physics are what they are. Planes want to fly. The air goes faster along the top of the wings even when it's bumpy and you'll keep your loft. If the wings stay on, the odds of you staying in the air are very very good.

DJ's left nut
09-09-2010, 11:41 AM

For the record - I don't believe you.

That's an antecdote that's been posted in every FBO I've ever stepped into, only it's usually an old lady saying it.

Demonpenz
09-09-2010, 11:47 AM

That's an antecdote that's been posted in every FBO I've ever stepped into, only it's usually an old lady saying it.

Jesus was carrying you when there was only one footprint

notorious
09-09-2010, 11:48 AM
It's called a 'slip' maneuver and it's done to bleed off altitude quickly without losing your orientation. You essentially stomp on the rudder to yaw the front end in one direction while leaning on the flaps in the other direction to keep it moving straight. I've never done one, but I've had instructors do it with me in the plane.

Ask your instructor to do that during a power-on stall. LMAO

You are right, slips are used more than passengers know. If the pilot finds himself too high, whether it is from his shitty flying or center not clearing him for lower soon enough, he/she will put the airplane in a very inefficient position by inducing a slip. It allows the pilot to decend quickly without picking up airspeed.

No big deal, but it is weird to fall sideways.

stevieray
09-09-2010, 12:24 PM
Jesus was carrying you when there was only one footprint

hop hop hop hop

Stewie
09-09-2010, 12:32 PM
This is what you get when the flying public bitches and moans about delays (and on-time data is published for all to see). While it's a pain when delays are not weather related, there needs to be some common sense about when to wait at the gate until the weather clears... especially a short flight like Austin to Dallas.

DJ's left nut
09-09-2010, 12:37 PM
Ask your instructor to do that during a power-on stall. LMAO

You are right, slips are used more than passengers know. If the pilot finds himself too high, whether it is from his shitty flying or center not clearing him for lower soon enough, he/she will put the airplane in a very inefficient position by inducing a slip. It allows the pilot to decend quickly without picking up airspeed.

No big deal, but it is weird to fall sideways.

VFO, you don't even need to worry about getting clearance from center unless you're in class B airspace (and I try to avoid that whenever possible, I don't need to be run over by a 737).

Mostly I've seen it done when you're trying to land into a headwind. You can nearly shut the engines off and if you need to turn into your approach, the plane still doesn't want to come down. In a light Cessna, the things just hang in the air unless you actively try to knock them down. Great flight characteristics.

I'll be a lot less skiddish when I suck less. As it is, I still can't get the flare figured out (I pretty much fly down the runway about 3 feet off the ground looking like a doofus because I'm a pussy and can't bring myself to yank back on the yoke to force the stall).

Pants
09-09-2010, 12:46 PM

YES! I am the exact same way man. Take off is by far the best part for me, it's just so freaking awesome feeling the acceleration and then all of a sudden complete smoothness. Seeing the ground turn sideways almost gives me a little bit of a high. Weirdly enough, the relief I get once the plane is slowing down after the landing feels amazing as well. All in all, I have a love-hate relationship with flying.

grandllama
09-09-2010, 12:56 PM
YES! I am the exact same way man. Take off is by far the best part for me, it's just so freaking awesome feeling the acceleration and then all of a sudden complete smoothness. Seeing the ground turn sideways almost gives me a little bit of a high. Weirdly enough, the relief I get once the plane is slowing down after the landing feels amazing as well. All in all, I have a love-hate relationship with flying.

Exactly the same here... Even after three years of back and forth to France every six weeks, I'm scared to death of something I love...

... and will be doing again this weekend.... If you would have told me 9 years ago that I would voluntarily fly on Sept. 11 I would have told you to pass it to the left...

Demonpenz
09-09-2010, 01:00 PM
hop hop hop hop

lmao good catch.

notorious
09-09-2010, 01:22 PM
I'll be a lot less skiddish when I suck less. As it is, I still can't get the flare figured out (I pretty much fly down the runway about 3 feet off the ground looking like a doofus because I'm a pussy and can't bring myself to yank back on the yoke to force the stall).

Don't worry, it takes time to figure out how to recognize when the airplane is just about to drop and how much force it takes to hold the airplane off right as it is touching down. After a bunch of reps, your muscle memory will build to the point where you know how much pressure it takes to hold back on the controls until the airplane touches down.

I used to tell my students,"It's a battle between you and the airplane. With power out, it wants to go down, but it is your job to keep it off the ground as long as possible and as close to the runway as possible until the plane finally wins."

I am sure your instructor has checked this, but viewpoint out the window is paramount for judging distance off the ground and if the plane needs more noseup to counteract the decent right before touchdown. Someimes a pillow is needed to lift a student up high enough to see out the front properly. It also helps to focus somewhere at the end of the runway, it will show the climb/decent trend of the airplane and help you from over-correcting. If you look directly in front, more then likely you will be up and down and your landings will be very inconsistant.

Stewie
09-09-2010, 01:34 PM
I've worked in aerospace for about 20 years. A friend at Boeing who is now a Boeing Fellow (I think that means you fly 1000s of miles per year and never see your family so you can do Boeing stuff) was involved in certifying the 777. He said when they went on a systems test flight it was the first time he ever threw up while on a plane. They purposely cause failures to see how the plane's systems react. This includes cabin decompressions, purposely flying into T-storms, diving the aircraft and all sorts of crazy stuff. He said it was the most intense thing he'd ever been through. He was amazed at how the aircraft still functioned with parts of its brains short-circuited. Of course, the pilots on these flights are the best of the best. Your pilot may not be as good.

Deberg_1990
09-09-2010, 01:39 PM
This is what you get when the flying public bitches and moans about delays (and on-time data is published for all to see). While it's a pain when delays are not weather related, there needs to be some common sense about when to wait at the gate until the weather clears... especially a short flight like Austin to Dallas.

Yea, im shocked they didnt delay the flight if the weather was that bad??

Pants
09-09-2010, 02:09 PM
I've worked in aerospace for about 20 years. A friend at Boeing who is now a Boeing Fellow (I think that means you fly 1000s of miles per year and never see your family so you can do Boeing stuff) was involved in certifying the 777. He said when they went on a systems test flight it was the first time he ever threw up while on a plane. They purposely cause failures to see how the plane's systems react. This includes cabin decompressions, purposely flying into T-storms, diving the aircraft and all sorts of crazy stuff. He said it was the most intense thing he'd ever been through. He was amazed at how the aircraft still functioned with parts of its brains short-circuited. Of course, the pilots on these flights are the best of the best. Your pilot may not be as good.

Jesus titty. That takes balls of steel. I can only imagine the pilots going "Alright fellas, here we go..." and flipping that switch.

Bwana
09-09-2010, 04:44 PM

ROFL

Dude, Mr. left nut, if you will? I had read it someplace myself years before and didn't claim to have "coined the slogan" as a Bwana original. I think Dave Berry came up with it years ago? It was the perfect time to let it fly and it did while exiting what was left of the wounded bird.

Sully
09-09-2010, 05:21 PM

Never.
No fucking way.

Ever.

Of course...I would also never ride the roller coaster at the top of the Stratosphere...so there's that.

Mosbonian
09-09-2010, 06:13 PM
I'm assuming the young hispanic lass made up for her injuring you.

There has to be more to the story than this....

You know....a hundred posts between your and mine and you are the first to pick up on that. I guess everyone missed the part where I said it had benefits.

mmaddog

BIG_DADDY
09-09-2010, 06:28 PM
Never.
No ****ing way.

Ever.

Of course...I would also never ride the roller coaster at the top of the Stratosphere...so there's that.

I think we found a new job for you Sully. Go in the back while we decompress the chamber and make sure the oxygen is still flowing now that we messed with the system. Be quick about it too because we are about to fly into that hurricane over there. No whining either you fucking pussy.