PDA

View Full Version : Movies and TV Interesting "black out" Policy................

cardken
09-08-2010, 09:33 PM
Was listening to John McLochlan an NFL writer and insider on the radio. He was talking about how owners always say, when they can't sellout a game that "the mean ol' NFL has their rules and we have to be blacked out, no way around it?" When in fact the owners can buy the remaining tickets to avoid "blackouts", to the tune of .33 cents on the dollar of the face value. But they won't tell you that. So consider if a team had to buy 6000 tickets at $80 a ticket @ .33cents per dollars per ticket=$158,400 to avoid blackout. When they have been acting as if they had to buy them at face value, little price to play to keep your loyal fan base. Maybe you knew, little do, the hosts of the show didn't.

keg in kc
09-08-2010, 09:36 PM
The TV stations in KC (primarily channel 5) have prevented blackouts for years by buying thousands of tickets at a fraction of face value.

Mr. Flopnuts
09-08-2010, 09:36 PM
News to me. Color me not surprised. Business is business, and if this goes mainstream enough either the rule will change, or you'll see fewer blackouts. You heard it here first.

Buck
09-08-2010, 09:38 PM
Was listening to John McLochlan an NFL writer and insider on the radio. He was talking about how owners always say, when they can't sellout a game that "the mean ol' NFL has their rules and we have to be blacked out, no way around it?" When in fact the owners can buy the remaining tickets to avoid "blackouts", to the tune of .33 cents on the dollar of the face value. But they won't tell you that. So consider if a team had to buy 6000 tickets at $80 a ticket @ .33cents per dollars per ticket=$158,400 to avoid blackout. When they have been acting as if they had to buy them at face value, little price to play to keep your loyal fan base. Maybe you knew, little do, the hosts of the show didn't.

They have never been acting like they had to pay the full price.

Stinger
09-08-2010, 09:39 PM
News to me. Color me not surprised. Business is business, and if this goes mainstream enough either the rule will change, or you'll see fewer blackouts. You heard it here first.

Actually I have heard that there will be more blackouts this year due the CBA that is up for renewal next year. That way the owners when they open their books can show more of a loss and try to get more concessions in the CBA.

Buck
09-08-2010, 09:39 PM
This is more known in SD and Oakland I guess...

But don't act like $150,000 isn't a lot.

JD10367
09-08-2010, 09:42 PM
Some have argued that blackouts do more harm than good nowadays, because the TV money is so ridiculous that it doesn't really matter if a team sells out. (Hell, the TV money is so ridiculous that the owners don't care if there's a work stoppage. Did you know that the TV money is guaranteed for next year, even if the games aren't played? Meaning, the owners will all get their money? Meaning, the owners might actually make MORE profit in a lockout year? Sure, they'll lose the gate, but they also won't be paying any players.)

And it kind of makes sense. I mean, there are pretty much two types of teams: 1) the good teams, who sell out anyway, and 2) the not-so-good teams, who don't sell out, and certainly don't get closer to selling out simply because the local fans want to get the game aired. If you're talking a Detroit, or Cleveland, or some other city where the team sucks balls, it's not like fans are gonna say, "Come on, everyone! We have to buy expensive tickets and go to the game to watch this team suck live; otherwise, all of the other fans in our city won't be able to watch this team suck on TV!" And you're more likely to build a fan base if everyone in your area can actually watch the team.

Shaid
09-08-2010, 09:48 PM
Some have argued that blackouts do more harm than good nowadays, because the TV money is so ridiculous that it doesn't really matter if a team sells out. (Hell, the TV money is so ridiculous that the owners don't care if there's a work stoppage. Did you know that the TV money is guaranteed for next year, even if the games aren't played? Meaning, the owners will all get their money? Meaning, the owners might actually make MORE profit in a lockout year?

I heard another quote from Goodell that said that wasn't true. Too lazy to go find it but basically he said that the networks aren't going to pay for games they can't air. Might just be him positioning himself though.

Mr. Flopnuts
09-08-2010, 09:56 PM
This is more known in SD and Oakland I guess...

But don't act like $150,000 isn't a lot.

Over an entire season of home games I'd say it's less than 1 average NFL salary. Peanuts to these fuckers.

Buck
09-08-2010, 10:33 PM
Over an entire season of home games I'd say it's less than 1 average NFL salary. Peanuts to these fuckers.

They don't get rich by spending $150,000 they won't get back.

DaFace
09-08-2010, 10:34 PM
Well, yeah. The rule is meant to protect the owners - not the TV networks. Why would they want to break the rule meant to protect themselves?

Mojo Jojo
09-09-2010, 03:11 AM

You don't have the full story of the business. Buying the tickets must be approved by the NFL, NFLPA and the visiting team. Ticket revenue is part of the CBA for cap issues.
It's not just an owner/sponsor or TV station paying $158,400...it's the lost revenue. Using your 6000 ticket number:
4 people per car @ $20 per car parking = 1500 cars and $30,000 lost
most NFL teams average $60 per person in food, drinks, souveniers etc.
$60 x 6000 people = $360,000 per game money lost.
Add your $158,400 to my numbers and you are looking at $548,000 lost per game.
Finally, if you are a loyal fan and tickets are available...buy a ticket. The NFL isn't going to just give away the product. It's like if you don't vote don't complain about who is elected...if the game is blacked out and you didn't buy a ticket don't complain.

phisherman
09-09-2010, 05:22 AM
jackson county gave the chiefs 250 million for their stadium, the least they could do is show jackson county residents the f**king home games.

unlurking
09-09-2010, 05:38 AM
I thought I remember hearing that there was a limit on the number of tickets a team was allowed to purchase. I think it was around 10%, so if you have 10,000 unsold seats you're getting blacked out regardless of the owner's intentions. Anyone confirm / deny?

SenselessChiefsFan
09-09-2010, 05:55 AM
Some have argued that blackouts do more harm than good nowadays, because the TV money is so ridiculous that it doesn't really matter if a team sells out. (Hell, the TV money is so ridiculous that the owners don't care if there's a work stoppage. Did you know that the TV money is guaranteed for next year, even if the games aren't played? Meaning, the owners will all get their money? Meaning, the owners might actually make MORE profit in a lockout year? Sure, they'll lose the gate, but they also won't be paying any players.)

And it kind of makes sense. I mean, there are pretty much two types of teams: 1) the good teams, who sell out anyway, and 2) the not-so-good teams, who don't sell out, and certainly don't get closer to selling out simply because the local fans want to get the game aired. If you're talking a Detroit, or Cleveland, or some other city where the team sucks balls, it's not like fans are gonna say, "Come on, everyone! We have to buy expensive tickets and go to the game to watch this team suck live; otherwise, all of the other fans in our city won't be able to watch this team suck on TV!" And you're more likely to build a fan base if everyone in your area can actually watch the team.

It isn't about people thinking that they want to buy tickets to get it on TV. It is about people knowing that they can't see the game unless they buy tickets.

And, yes, the TV money is much more than the money generated by ticket sales. However, do you think that the football players will play with the same intensity in an empty stadium? Do you think that the broadcast would be as entertaining?

The reality is that the fans at the game play a part in the production. And, the ticket sales help offset stadium costs. Otherwise, why not build a field with no stands and just surround it with cameras?

Mojo Jojo
09-09-2010, 06:07 AM
jackson county gave the chiefs 250 million for their stadium, the least they could do is show jackson county residents the f**king home games.

So, should Jackson County buy those tickets because you won't? Welcome to the world of pro sports and big business. Jackson County voters voted for the money...maybe the elected Jackson County board should be held accountable for the lease?

Deberg_1990
09-09-2010, 06:25 AM

Yea, i created a thread and posted some stories last week about this.

Eventually, the NFL might have to do away with the blackout rule. Basically the NFL has created a Conundrum where its more enticing to stay home and watch a game on your 50" HDTV than it is to spend hundreds and watch a game live in the stadium.

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=232794

Mojo Jojo
09-09-2010, 07:05 AM
Yea, i created a thread and posted some stories last week about this.

Eventually, the NFL might have to do away with the blackout rule. Basically the NFL has created a Conundrum where its more enticing to stay home and watch a game on your 50" HDTV than it is to spend hundreds and watch a game live in the stadium.

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=232794

I would disagree. The more fans want to stay at home...less money for the owners...less money for the players. At that point games and broadcasts become less entertaining if the stadium is half full...no new TV money. The new CBA will have a lot to do with ticket sells and broadcast money, and neither side wants those dollers to drop.

mikeyis4dcats.
09-09-2010, 07:08 AM
Also, a game doesn't have to be 100% sold out to avoid blackout.

Hays
09-09-2010, 08:18 AM
Why don't they say ok we have 6000 tickets

We are doing a half off per ticket.

That is more than the .33 cent per dollar they would be getting and they would sell those tickets I am sure.

Offer a free Hot Dog with it or something

There are ways around it so that you do sell tickets. I just don't think it matters to them.

phisherman
09-09-2010, 08:35 AM
So, should Jackson County buy those tickets because you won't? Welcome to the world of pro sports and big business. Jackson County voters voted for the money...maybe the elected Jackson County board should be held accountable for the lease?

you cut jackson county residents some last minute ticket deals for $.33 on the dollar and maybe more of us would go.

don't unleash your BS on me. i've been to plenty of games in the last few years when we've been terrible and paid full price.

gblowfish
09-09-2010, 08:35 AM
It's a very tangled problem.

Several years ago, the Chiefs ran promotions for December games, basically pricing tickets at 50% off, plus giving people who bought those tickets little gifties as an incentive.

Not many people took advanatage of the offer, because the team just flat out sucked. Paying $15 to watch them suck vs. paying $30 to watch them suck, not much incentive either way.

Plus, the season ticket holders got pissed off, because they paid full boat, IN ADVANCE, and didn't get any gifties.

So you basically spit in the face of your most loyal customers.

It's a lose lose situation, that usually is caused by lots of losing.

Did I lose you there?

Dayze
09-09-2010, 08:36 AM

I just read an interesting article this morning about the possible lockout.
on the subject of owners being guarnateed revenue from the TV contracts, the owners would basicall give it back to the networks in the form of credits in future years once play resumes.

edit/..I found it
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ms-laborquestions090810

this is a big stink with the NFLPA because the oweners have basically negotiated a deal with networks that allows them to maintain cashflow from TV dollars while the work stoppage is going on (assuming it happens).
This is one reason the owners are trying to play hardball because they know they'll be able to sustain their business.

Deberg_1990
09-09-2010, 08:56 AM
It's a very tangled problem.

Several years ago, the Chiefs ran promotions for December games, basically pricing tickets at 50% off, plus giving people who bought those tickets little gifties as an incentive.

Not many people took advanatage of the offer, because the team just flat out sucked. Paying $15 to watch them suck vs. paying $30 to watch them suck, not much incentive either way.

Plus, the season ticket holders got pissed off, because they paid full boat, IN ADVANCE, and didn't get any gifties.

So you basically spit in the face of your most loyal customers.

It's a lose lose situation, that usually is caused by lots of losing.

Did I lose you there?

Good points.....but even good teams are having problems drawing in this economy.

Why pay $400 for a family of 4, fight weather, crowds, traffic, etc......when i can stay home with a front row seat on my 50" HDTV and internet with constant fantasy updates??

Otter
09-09-2010, 09:35 AM
Good points.....but even good teams are having problems drawing in this economy.

Why pay $400 for a family of 4, fight weather, crowds, traffic, etc......when i can stay home with a front row seat on my 50" HDTV and internet with constant fantasy updates??

That imo are two of the hugest factors. For the price of one ticket I can get a 1/4 keg of my favorite micro brew, a couple lobster tails, king crab legs, a bushel of clams, a couple steaks and other random eats as opposed to having to drive 1.5 hours to the stadium, pay $9 for a 16oz cup of Budweiser, miss 20 minutes of the game every time I have to take a leak and then fight traffic and have to worry about how much I drink.

I'm still waiting for an NFL strike much like what happened in the NHL to get player salary's down to a normal price because this economy isn't going anywhere soon and the fans can't/won't sustain the costs anymore.

It wouldn't bother me too much to go a couple seasons w/o the NFL. It certainly would save me the pain in the ass of being commissioner of a fantasy football league.

More fly fishing for me.

Dayze
09-09-2010, 10:14 AM
I watched more NCAA football last year than I ever have.....even without blackouts.
If blackouts start happening, I suspect I'll just move on until they're lifted.
Aside from the Chifes, the NFL has grown very stale with me. I know it's a fact of life, but I get sick of seeing the same teams on national TV / late games.

If I've done my counts correctly, these are the number of times we'll see these teams on a national level; MNF/SNF/Flex/Other. (there are six teams with 3 appearances, and five with 2; but i thought the "4" minimum to illustrate where I'm coming from)

Green Bay 4
Minnesota 4
New York Giants 4
San Francisco 4
Indianapolis 5
New England 5
New Orleans 5
New York Jets 5
Philadelphia 5
Pittsburgh 5
San Diego 6

Stewie
09-09-2010, 10:50 AM
Doesn't the home team have to guarantee the visiting team's portion of the gate? If the game isn't sold out and tickets are "bought" to lift the blackout the visiting team gets paid their full portion of the gate as if it's sold out.

cardken
09-09-2010, 11:25 AM
They don't get rich by spending $150,000 they won't get back.

"GREED IS GOOD"

JD10367
09-09-2010, 11:27 AM
"GREED IS GOOD"

And, according to the trailers for the sequel, apparently now it's legal.

ChiefsCountry
09-09-2010, 01:11 PM
Doesn't the home team have to guarantee the visiting team's portion of the gate? If the game isn't sold out and tickets are "bought" to lift the blackout the visiting team gets paid their full portion of the gate as if it's sold out.

Its split 60/40.
Posted via Mobile Device

Ugly Duck
09-09-2010, 03:28 PM
The TV stations in KC (primarily channel 5) have prevented blackouts for years by buying thousands of tickets at a fraction of face value.

Hey wait a minute... You folks are always saying RaiferFanz suck.... because Oakland TV stations don't buy out remaining tickets? We have no control over that. Oakland often sells out - just not before the deadline. Maybe you guyz suck as much as we do, but have TV stations that want to fork out the dough....