PDA

View Full Version : General Politics Now what will Michael Moore do?

Mojo Jojo
09-09-2010, 05:54 AM
Given his love for the way Cuba does/did things this goes against his last movie.
http://www.miamiherald.com/2010/09/08/1815032/castro-economic-model-is-broken.html

blaise
09-09-2010, 06:08 AM
Probably hit a buffet and act like an asshole.
Same as usual.

Jenson71
09-09-2010, 08:04 AM
Who cares what Michael Moore does? Why make that your thread headline? What matters is Castro's very important statement. Not what Michael Moore will do now because of the statement.

I think most of the Michael Moore hatred is largely based on his being obese. He's an easy target.

Bwana
09-09-2010, 08:11 AM
I think most of the Michael Moore hatred is largely based on his being obese. He's an easy target.

Jenson, I think it has more to do with the fact that the guy is a complete douche bag. :shrug: As far as being an "easy target," I'm with you there. :D

http://naproom.mu.nu/pics/FATASS-TARGET.jpg

blaise
09-09-2010, 08:12 AM
Who cares what Michael Moore does? Why make that your thread headline? What matters is Castro's very important statement. Not what Michael Moore will do now because of the statement.

I'm going to assume your last two sentences were meant as a joke.

Baby Lee
09-09-2010, 08:13 AM

Yes, because I also seeth with rage when I see Artie Lange, Kevin James, and Paul Prudhomme. ;)

The anger at Michael is largely founded in his sarcastic 'ain't I a stinker' persona, and the way he makes his 'case' by glossing over the shortcomings of alternatives to American life, while stressing outlier shortcomings of America. ie, here's a bucolic picture of a small Norwegian town, and HERE'S SOME GUY WHO LOST A FINGER IN A FACTORY!!!!! ergo we should do everything Norway does and stop doing everything we do!!!!

blaise
09-09-2010, 08:15 AM
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/R4fQNZmefM4?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/R4fQNZmefM4?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

ClevelandBronco
09-09-2010, 08:20 AM

Very largely.

That's the (unexpectedly) dumbest thing I've ever seen under your name.

boogblaster
09-09-2010, 08:21 AM
he at least opens closed minds to their raping by big gov

Radar Chief
09-09-2010, 08:25 AM
Who cares what Michael Moore does?

Obviously enough people to keep him employed making propaganda pieces.

HonestChieffan
09-09-2010, 08:25 AM
Jenson, I think it has more to do with the fact that the guy is a complete douche bag. :shrug: As far as being an "easy target," I'm with you there. :D

Im thinking I gotta have me some of that.....make a great range game...controlled fire at 15 yards and 25. followed by timed rapid fire at 15. Call it Tap the Fat Man

blaise
09-09-2010, 08:26 AM
he at least opens closed minds to their raping by big gov

Sounds like what Glen Beck fans say.

HonestChieffan
09-09-2010, 08:28 AM
rapin is all the rage

blaise
09-09-2010, 08:30 AM
rapin is all the rage

Michael Moore raped a bucket of chicken.

ROYC75
09-09-2010, 08:53 AM
MM is like any other Hollywood Liberal nut, he's nutty in every sense.

fan4ever
09-09-2010, 09:02 AM

Yeah, that's why we conservatives would hate to see Chris Christie on the ballot in 2012...stupid fatty. :rolleyes:

HonestChieffan
09-09-2010, 09:04 AM
Lord Jenson. Are you taking stupid pills?

Brock
09-09-2010, 09:04 AM
Who?

fan4ever
09-09-2010, 09:13 AM
Who?

Newly elected governor of New Jersey. He's a no bullcrap kind of guy and gaining a lot of momentum.

bevischief
09-09-2010, 09:34 AM

:)

Jenson71
09-09-2010, 10:16 AM
It's not that people who hate Michael Moore hate all obese people. It's that what separates Michael Moore from other outspoken liberals is that he weighs over 300lbs, and that's something that's easy to make fun of and downgrade someone by.

blaise
09-09-2010, 10:19 AM
It's not that people who hate Michael Moore hate all obese people. It's that what separates Michael Moore from other outspoken liberals is that he weighs over 300lbs, and that's something that's easy to make fun of and downgrade someone by.

And he's smug and smarmy and a jerk.

ClevelandBronco
09-09-2010, 10:19 AM

It doesn't sound any less stupid this time around.

HonestChieffan
09-09-2010, 10:36 AM
Never end a sentence with "by", please.

I just hate that.

Baby Lee
09-09-2010, 10:52 AM

You are either way less intelligent than given credit, or quite stubborn.

Your first statement cites obesity as a BASIS for hatred. This intones that obesity is a valid and exercised basis for hatred for a set of people. It further intones that obesity as a basis for hatred would not be limited to a single person. Perhaps not every obese person, but presumably any and/or all those for whom their obesity gives rise to feelings of hatred similar to those extended to MM.

Again, I can't tell whether you are trying to stubbornly backtrack, or simply don't know the meaning of words or sentence structure, but your second sentence is in no manner a reasonable interpretation of your first.

Your first statement suggests an irrational basis for hatred, your second tries and fails to twist the first into a much more rational, and less inflammatory, suggestion that, while the hatred might be rational, their means of demeaning him is lazy and obvious.

PS - all references to 'hatred' is intended to denote all modes of detracting from Moore's manifesto, be they savage or benign.

Jenson71
09-09-2010, 11:12 AM
Most of the Michael Moore hatred is largely (though not entirely) based on his being obese. There are some Michael Moore haters who base their hatred on other things. So, it's not that all people who hate Michael Moore hate all obese people. And even those who largely hate Michael Moore for being obese can inconsistently put aside their hatred for other obese people because of some other overriding agenda. It would be irrational, right?

Jenson71
09-09-2010, 11:13 AM
Never end a sentence with "by", please.

I just hate that.

Do you feel that way towards all prepositions or just towards by?

Brock
09-09-2010, 11:14 AM
Sure. It has nothing to do with his personality.

HonestChieffan
09-09-2010, 11:16 AM
Mostly "by" bothers me. But I tolerate starting a sentence with "but" even though it violates some rules. That shows I can be tolerant of some language abuse.

Ending a sentence in "by" is just indicative of a lack of attention to detail and not really thinking through the point one is making.

Jenson71
09-09-2010, 11:20 AM
Sure. It has nothing to do with his personality.

Not "nothing," just, his personality, which seems much less pretentious than for example, Sean Penn's, is not as big a factor as his weight. I strongly feel that if he were a "normal sized" person, Michael Moore would not get nearly the amount of hatred thrown his way.

ClevelandBronco
09-09-2010, 11:21 AM
Most of the Michael Moore hatred is largely (though not entirely) based on his being obese. There are some Michael Moore haters who base their hatred on other things. So, it's not that all people who hate Michael Moore hate all obese people. And even those who largely hate Michael Moore for being obese can inconsistently put aside their hatred for other obese people because of some other overriding agenda. It would be irrational, right?

What's up with this? Were you an ostracized fat kid or something?

blaise
09-09-2010, 11:22 AM
Not "nothing," just, his personality, which seems much less pretentious than for example, Sean Penn's, is not as big a factor as his weight. I strongly feel that if he were a "normal sized" person, Michael Moore would not get nearly the amount of hatred thrown his way.

I think it's his voice inflection more than his weight. It's very whiny, high pitched, and annoying.

ClevelandBronco
09-09-2010, 11:24 AM
Ostracized. Ostrich-sized.

I need to find out what an ostrich weighs.

Jenson71
09-09-2010, 11:26 AM
Mostly "by" bothers me. But I tolerate starting a sentence with "but" even though it violates some rules. That shows I can be tolerant of some language abuse.

Ending a sentence in "by" is just indicative of a lack of attention to detail and not really thinking through the point one is making.

Ending a sentence in "by" or other prepositions do not necessarily indicate a lack of attention to detail or not thinking through. Also, which rules are violated by starting a sentence with but?

ClevelandBronco
09-09-2010, 11:26 AM
140–290 lb.

Looks like Mr. Moore is a couple of picnic baskets north of ostrich-sized.

Jenson71
09-09-2010, 11:27 AM
What's up with this? Were you an ostracized fat kid or something?

Just an ordinary viewer.

blaise
09-09-2010, 11:28 AM
Just an ordinary viewer.

Most ordinary viewers in America are fat.

Brock
09-09-2010, 11:29 AM

Sean Penn draws way more hate than Moore does.

fan4ever
09-09-2010, 11:35 AM
Jenson, try this: "Yeah, I kind of shot from the hip there; my bad".

You'll be considered better for it. But it seems you're dug in...

ClevelandBronco
09-09-2010, 11:35 AM
Back on topic: Castro has had a tendency to be only slightly overweight for much of his adult life.

That was the original topic, right?

ClevelandBronco
09-09-2010, 11:40 AM
I looked up Michael Moore and found out that he's made a few films.

Who knew? I thought he was just fat.

blaise
09-09-2010, 11:41 AM

Who knew? I thought he was just fat.

Come on dude. That's not true. He's not just fat, he's obese.

HonestChieffan
09-09-2010, 11:43 AM
Ending a sentence in "by" or other prepositions do not necessarily indicate a lack of attention to detail or not thinking through. Also, which rules are violated by starting a sentence with but?

I cannot believe a literary light such as yourself would even ask that. Mrs. Humphries would tug your ear for that. Schools today don't have such wonderful teachers.

stevieray
09-09-2010, 11:50 AM

Gone with the Fat
Citizen Fat
Fat Story (love means never having to say I'm obese)

T-post Tom
09-09-2010, 12:29 PM
There are many studies substantiating a widespread bias against overweight people in Western cultures. (Google is your friend.) And I don't dismiss this as some arcane theory contrived in the ivory towers of academia. I see it all the time in real life. And I don't doubt that Mr. Moore bears the brunt of that bias at times.

HOWEVER, Moore brings a lot of the negative attention on himself. (Rush Limbaugh has slimmed down, but he and Moore probably share some common ground on this issue.) As others have stated or implied, Mr. Moore's delivery is generally sarcastic and confrontational; bombastic at times. Combine that with the large stage he plays on and you have a recipe for controversy. Then again, civility doesn't seem to play much of a role in today's political discourse anywhere other than CP :p .

~Disclaimer: I am WAY less intelligent than given credit AND quite stubborn. But I am smart enough to know that I'll never win a debate against Baby Lee.

Baby Lee
09-09-2010, 12:50 PM

And that, my friends, is how a kernal of thought becomes a Gordian's Knot.

T-post Tom
09-09-2010, 12:57 PM
And that, my friends, is how a kernal of thought becomes a Gordian's Knot.

No worries:

http://www.tax-freedom.com/GordianKnot_files/image001.jpg

Dallas Chief
09-09-2010, 01:16 PM

Seriously Jenson. Just admit that it was a dubious conclusion for you to make and move on. You would be more respected for it than trying to justify it. Maybe you feel that way yourself and if so, you hould really look into getting some therapy for your "fatophobia."

BIG_DADDY
09-09-2010, 01:22 PM
Hopefully choke on a ham samich and die. I'll bet they find 50 pounds of shit in his pants if it happens.

Jenson71
09-09-2010, 01:32 PM

Seriously Jenson. Just admit that it was a dubious conclusion for you to make and move on. You would be more respected for it than trying to justify it. Maybe you feel that way yourself and if so, you hould really look into getting some therapy for your "fatophobia."

If I have made inaccurate statements, or if, as Baby Lee attempts to demonstrate, my statements have some sort of logical flaws, I will attempt to correct them. It's entirely possible.

But I began that sentence with the sometimes useless, sometimes spineless "I think . . ." It's my own non-scientific, non-developed observation based on primarily this internet forum and a handful of conversations with peers.

I don't think I have anything to apologize for or back down from. By the way, anyone need a shirt? https://members.premiereinteractive.com/ows-img/glennbeck/pages/28585/41410_2484.htm

blaise
09-09-2010, 01:46 PM
If I have made inaccurate statements, or if, as Baby Lee attempts to demonstrate, my statements have some sort of logical flaws, I will attempt to correct them. It's entirely possible.

But I began that sentence with the sometimes useless, sometimes spineless "I think . . ." It's my own non-scientific, non-developed observation based on primarily this internet forum and a handful of conversations with peers.

I don't think I have anything to apologize for or back down from. By the way, anyone need a shirt? https://members.premiereinteractive.com/ows-img/glennbeck/pages/28585/41410_2484.htm

Kind of funny that a shirt saying someone is fat is available in XXL

ClevelandBronco
09-09-2010, 02:27 PM
But I began that sentence with the sometimes useless, sometimes spineless "I think . . ."

That you merely claimed to have thought doesn't make it so.

ClevelandBronco
09-09-2010, 02:29 PM
"No diet will remove all the fat from your body because the brain is entirely fat. Without a brain, you might look good, but all you could do is run for public office."
— George Bernard Shaw

Jenson71
09-09-2010, 03:04 PM
I cannot believe a literary light such as yourself would even ask that. Mrs. Humphries would tug your ear for that. Schools today don't have such wonderful teachers.

But language has evolved. And so, as reflection, has the teaching of it.

ClevelandBronco
09-09-2010, 03:08 PM
When the people who become teachers are too stupid to understand the rules, the rules are declared to be irrelevant.

Jenson71
09-09-2010, 03:15 PM
When the people who become teachers are too stupid to understand the rules, the rules are declared to be irrelevant.

And I can agree with this. But we might disagree as to when that line is actually crossed. For I believe that the rules that are no longer in existence are more irrelevant than those that are. And doesn't that just make more sense?

HonestChieffan
09-09-2010, 07:47 PM
The use of "And" in your sentences is unnecessary. Writing is a skill. Try to be more clear and not use unnecessary words. Using But to begin a sentence improper as are other conjunctions.

Proper English is different from common speech or familiar use of language. Proper English remains proper. In a manner of speaking people "dumb down" as a way to avoid being correct or mastering the rule. Ones beliefs are nothing more than a way to say one would choose to dumb down rather than be correct.

Jenson71
09-09-2010, 08:22 PM
The use of "And" in your sentences is unnecessary. Writing is a skill. Try to be more clear and not use unnecessary words.

You mean like . . . clearer?

HonestChieffan
09-09-2010, 08:25 PM
No. More clear. A window can be clearer. Language is more clear.

Jenson71
09-09-2010, 08:26 PM
Using But to begin a sentence improper as are other conjunctions.

I would appreciate you including the present tense form of be (is) in your post to make your sentence grammatically correct.

Jenson71
09-09-2010, 08:29 PM
No. More clear. A window can be clearer. Language is more clear.

"My post was clearer than yours" is grammatically incorrect?

HonestChieffan
09-09-2010, 08:30 PM
good catch typo boy

Jenson71
09-09-2010, 08:32 PM
Ones beliefs are nothing more than a way to say one would choose to dumb down rather than be correct.

Last point: do these beliefs belong to the person, or is the person plural here?

morphius
09-09-2010, 08:36 PM

So, of course the reason most liberals hate Rush Limbaugh is because he is/was fat? But the same republicans that liked Limbaugh when he was fat, hate Moore because he is fat?

Jenson71
09-09-2010, 08:37 PM
good catch typo boy

Does proper English no longer require capitalization and punctuation?

Jenson71
09-09-2010, 08:45 PM
good catch typo boy

Were you avoiding being correct or avoiding mastering the rule with this dumb-downed post?

fan4ever
09-09-2010, 10:40 PM

You are a stubborn mutha...reminds me of a patteau rant a few months ago. ;)