PDA

View Full Version : Int'l Issues Afghans protest Quran burning plan, torch US flag

petegz28
09-09-2010, 10:22 AM
KABUL, Afghanistan Hundreds of angry Afghans burned a U.S. flag and chanted "Death to the Christians" on Thursday to protest plans by a small American church to torch copies of the Muslim holy book on the anniversary of the Sept. 11 terror attacks.

Religious and political leaders across the Muslim world, as well as several U.S. officials, have asked the church to call off the plan, warning it would lead to violence against Americans. Iraq, worried that it will unleash a backlash against all Christians, has beefed up security near churches.

The Rev. Terry Jones, of the Dove Outreach Center in Gainesville, Florida, has vowed to go ahead with the bonfire on Saturday, even though he has been denied the required permit.

Local officials in Mahmud Raqi, the capital of Afghanistan's Kapisa province, estimated that up to 4,000 people took part in Thursday's demonstration. But NATO spokesman James Judge said the protesters numbered between 500 to 700.

"The Afghan national police prevented the protest from overwhelming an Afghan military outpost," and dispersed the demonstration, he told The Associated Press.

A cleric in Afghanistan's largely peaceful Balkh province also warned Thursday that, if the burning goes ahead, a protest will be held in the provincial capital Mazar-i-Sharif next Monday. Protesters could hurl stones at NATO-led troops stationed in the city one of the country's main centers of the Islamic teaching.

In the central Pakistani city of Multan, about 200 people marched and burned a U.S. flag.

"If Quran is burned it would be beginning of destruction of America," read one English-language banner held up by the protesters, who chanted "Down with America!"

Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton has denounced the planned burning and Gen. David Petraeus, the top U.S. and NATO commander in Afghanistan, has said it could lead to attacks on international troops.

Iran's Foreign Minister Manouchehr Mottaki also warned of repercussions, saying the burning would "face reactions by the world's Muslims as well as followers of other religions," according to the official IRNA news agency.

In central Baghdad, security was increased around the Church of the Virgin Mary, with military vehicles blocking the entrance to the church and Iraqi soldiers standing guard. At two other churches in the capital, police cars were parked outside and armed officers were deployed.

Canon Andrew White, the chaplain of an Anglican church in Baghdad, said the Iraqi military had warned him that his church had been threatened.

___

Associated Press writers around the world contributed to this report.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100909/ap_on_re_as/quran_burning_reaction

HonestChieffan
09-09-2010, 10:25 AM
This would be like a different symbolism than when they have burned it before or when they burned bibles or when they burned effigies right? This whole symbolism thing is hard to keep up with.

Its like college lit...."What did the author mean when he refereed to the rivers downward path?"

Iowanian
09-09-2010, 10:25 AM
"Hundreds of angry Afghans burned a U.S. flag and chanted "Death to the Christians"

30 dumbass Americans talk about doing something, and a thousand people who wipe their ass with their hands do this....

Don't burn our book....so we're going to burn your flag(again) and threaten Christians(again).

F them all. Carpet bomb one of those protests.

petegz28
09-09-2010, 10:27 AM
See, this is the problem. A group of 30 dolts are going to do something that is well within their Rights albeit stupid. And here is the "religion of peace" on display. Already burning flags yet 1 Quran has yet to be burned. they are already out in force with their protests and cries of "death to christians". This is the way they react to any and every little thing towards their "religion of peace".

If it isn't someone burning the Quran then it's someone making a joke. These people are anything but peaceful. They thrive on violence and will not tolerate any offense, no matter how small, of their religion. Yes, this is the religion of peace.

See, we are supposed to pretend the terrorists do not represent all muslims and such. But on the other hand 30 morons somehow are attributed to America as a whole. See how that works?

Iowanian
09-09-2010, 10:29 AM
If it weren't for the dumbass media giving this dumbass fringe "reverend" too much press...this wouldn't be an issue.

The biggest problem would be the smell of burned mallows as he and his 15 cousin-members made smores on the koran fire.

Chief Henry
09-09-2010, 10:30 AM
How many USA flags are burned on a daily basis by religion peace ? Should we be offended when they burn our bibles and our flag ?

HonestChieffan
09-09-2010, 10:31 AM
You are just intolerant Pete. A war crazed intolerant hater. Its in your eyes man. I swear you need to seek redemption. Throw off the shackles of hate and intolerance and walk in the light of good and grace.

Don't be intolerant because they are. Through your actions we can lead all to a peaceful coexistence where the world is one. Unicorns and flowers for all.

Iowanian
09-09-2010, 10:32 AM
If Afghans put the effort into fixing their country and working as they do being "enraged" by some insignificant asshole in Florida, maybe the wouldn't be stuck in the 13th century in their 3rd world shithole of a country.

Since they burned the flag, I'm going to ship a crate of pork rinds and bacon bits to deployed troops to feed to Muslims mooching snacks.

HonestChieffan
09-09-2010, 10:35 AM
If Afghans put the effort into fixing their country and working as they do being "enraged" by some insignificant asshole in Florida, maybe the wouldn't be stuck in the 13th century in their 3rd world shithole of a country.

I feel like your pent up rage is driving you to the bounds of sanity. Throw off the dark and accept all as your brother.

Jerm
09-09-2010, 10:36 AM
Wow a U.S. flag was torched in a Middle Eastern city in "protest" of something????

I'm shocked....SHOCKED I tell ya.

HonestChieffan
09-09-2010, 10:38 AM
Oh screw it. I say we smoke a brisket and a couple pork shoulders over a nice bed of Korans and get a keg. We can get Pete's Rub.

Chief Faithful
09-09-2010, 10:41 AM
Oh screw it. I say we smoke a brisket and a couple pork shoulders over a nice bed of Korans and get a keg. We can get Pete's Rub.

Make it a whole pig.

Chief Henry
09-09-2010, 10:47 AM
Make it a whole pig.

mmmmmmmm RIBS :homer:

HonestChieffan
09-09-2010, 10:50 AM
Boulevard Wheat. I can get a good price on a keg

petegz28
09-09-2010, 10:51 AM

ROFL

:thumb:

InChiefsHell
09-09-2010, 10:52 AM
They burned and American flag?!?!??!! I'm shocked, SHOCKED I tell you!!!

**Edit**Shit, Jerm beat me to it...

ROYC75
09-09-2010, 10:53 AM
The islams chop heads but we shouldn't protest because we might make them mad.

The islams fly planes into our buildings but we better not protest because we might make them mad(der).

The islams blow up our ships nad barracks but we shouldn't protest because it might make them mad.

While I don't condone burning their book, I also have no problem letting this guy do it under his 1st amendment right to do it. We can burn US flags, put the cross in a jar of urine and call it art, why not burn their koran too? It's all "free speech", right?

HonestChieffan
09-09-2010, 10:53 AM
see how good food and fellowship calms the savage in people. Ill bring a boom box and my Tom T Hall CDs.

pr_capone
09-09-2010, 10:57 AM
This whole war is being fought incorrectly. These extremists don't care about their lives, they are more worried about their immortal souls.

Instead of dropping bombs and firing machine guns, they need to air drop a pig blood based solution over a single city therefore condemning all those people to their version of hell. Let them know that we will continue doing this city by city until they cut that shit out.

War is won without any more lives lost. Souls perhaps... but no lives.

BucEyedPea
09-09-2010, 11:02 AM
Blame it on the media that is a handmaiden of the statists....who want to incite the people into war. It's working and the sheeple respond as predicted.
I refuse to allow the Establishment play me.

HonestChieffan
09-09-2010, 11:08 AM
Good God, we are planning a BBQ and you want to discus statists. Tom T Hall Music, Beer and whole hog Que is no place for that sort of thing. Its disruptive and ruins the ambiance of the day.

Only people who can relax can come. You and your statists and neo whatevers can all go somewhere and have yogurt and tofu.

We aint havin Tofu.

BucEyedPea
09-09-2010, 11:11 AM
Good God, we are planning a BBQ and you want to discus statists.
Why not, they are the crux of the matter using the media to stir up both sides into a foaming at the mouth frenzy in order to lead us into more war. This pastor is their "useful idiot."

Tom T Hall Music, Beer and whole hog Que is no place for that sort of thing. Its disruptive and ruins the ambiance of the day.

Only people who can relax can come. You and your statists and neo whatevers can all go somewhere and have yogurt and tofu.

We aint havin Tofu.
I hate tofu. I'm a meat eater. I am not a peacenik nor a warmonger....the two extreme ends. I simply reject over emotional knee jerk reactions as irrational and insane. People are going f'n nuts today. This is the same pattern before we invaded Iraq. You're being played and it's working.

Did you know who was found to be behind the Mohammed cartoons years ago? Yeah, same group. I don't care what you want to call them but I call it as I see it. That was all linked to the guys who planted sympathetic moutpieces into the NY Times like Judith Miller to create war fever.

HonestChieffan
09-09-2010, 11:13 AM
Beer and Que is not being "played".

BucEyedPea
09-09-2010, 11:15 AM
Beer and Que is not being "played".

YOU and your likes are being played. This is nothing but statist media manipulation.

ClevelandBronco
09-09-2010, 11:16 AM
I wouldn't mind all the flag burning if we were actually producing the flags. In fact, I'd do what I could to encourage the activity if it would create more jobs and higher profits here.

vailpass
09-09-2010, 11:17 AM
Bring this war to a head, let the radical islamists step out and fight. Like that would ever happen. Cowardly savages, hiding behind children and churches smiffing each other's left hand.

BucEyedPea
09-09-2010, 11:18 AM
What do these Afghans have to even fight with? Nothing really. They can't harm us militarily.

HonestChieffan
09-09-2010, 11:18 AM
Well to hell with the BBQ. Piss on the fire and call in the dogs.

BucEyedPea
09-09-2010, 11:20 AM
Well to hell with the BBQ. Piss on the fire and call in the dogs.

hmmmm.....

Hog Farmer
09-09-2010, 01:34 PM
I'm liking the direction this thread has taken.

FishingRod
09-09-2010, 01:35 PM
afgans

HonestChieffan
09-09-2010, 05:10 PM
What do these Afghans have to even fight with? Nothing really. They can't harm us militarily.

Its still summer. No need for an afghan till its colder. Quilts are a lot better anyway.

InChiefsHell
09-09-2010, 05:46 PM
Personally, I think they are the ugliest dogs ever...

BigMeatballDave
09-09-2010, 05:52 PM
Other countries burning our flag doesnt bother me. People in America burning an American flag does. Look at the mess one attention whore caused. I blame the media more than anything.

Earthling
09-09-2010, 05:56 PM
Well, if they are going to have it I wish they would do it in my field. Save me from having to burn it.

Pitt Gorilla
09-09-2010, 06:07 PM
See, we are supposed to pretend the terrorists do not represent all muslims and such. But on the other hand 30 morons somehow are attributed to America as a whole. See how that works?Do terrorists represent all Muslims?