PDA

View Full Version : Obama Obama Appoints Carp Czar

HonestChieffan
09-10-2010, 05:50 AM
Obama Appoints Carp Czar
By John Bry, NewsRadio WOOD-1300 News Team
Thursday, September 9, 2010
President Obama names an environmental activist as the point-man in the fight against the invading Asian Carp. John Goss will oversee the federal government's $78-million plan to stop the Asian Carp from getting into the Great Lakes.

Goss also must try to smooth out the squabbling among the states in this region who are demanding that Illinois close off the Chicago River from Lake Michigan. Our state's Attorney General, Mike Cox reacts: "We hope he shows independence from what is essentially a Chicago-based White House, one which protects Illinois' interests over those of the Great Lakes. Will he even be allowed to advocate for closure of the locks? Time will tell, but the experts say we don't have much time left."

Otter
09-10-2010, 08:26 AM
This is actually a pretty serious problem that you would never notice unless you fish the great lakes. I'm a steelhead fisherman in Lake Erie.

Can't wait to see their solution. I'm sure it will be expensive, stupid and ineffective however.

It's nice having absolutely no faith in government because they failed so many times. Bunch of dirtbags.

HonestChieffan
09-10-2010, 08:28 AM
I agree its an issue. But best managed by the states like all other conservation issues and invasive specie efforts. Telling the fish to not move from the white house wont work well.

Jenson71
09-10-2010, 08:36 AM
I agree its an issue. But best managed by the states like all other conservation issues and invasive specie efforts. Telling the fish to not move from the white house wont work well.

Why would this Great Lakes problem best be managed by the states, who appear to be at odds with each other, and the federal government, over solutions?

Otter
09-10-2010, 08:38 AM
Why would this Great Lakes problem best be managed by the states, who appear to be at odds with each other, and the federal government, over solutions?

Maybe we could load the asian carp in cannons and fire them at illegal immigrants.

But who will be our cannon czar?

HonestChieffan
09-10-2010, 10:06 AM

Maybe cause the states share management in defined specific areas of the great lakes and have managed it well for years. In any case the management and solutions to this will be addressed and implemented at the state level. Always have. Always will.

orange
09-10-2010, 10:15 AM
Maybe cause the states share management in defined specific areas of the great lakes and have managed it well for years. In any case the management and solutions to this will be addressed and implemented at the state level. Always have. Always will.

Talking out of your ass as usual.

In December, six Great Lakes states, led by Michigan, sued Illinois to force the closure of two Chicago-area navigational locks to prevent access of the fish into Lake Michigan. State leaders and environmentalists are concerned that if the fish make their way into Lake Michigan, they will destroy the ecosystem there and, eventually, ruin the $7 billion-a-year recreational fishing and tourism industries.

Michigan Attorney General Mike Cox said the discovery this week confirmed “our worst fears.” Previously, Asian carp DNA had been found in the vicinity of Lake Michigan, but this is the first live fish to be found in such close proximity.

“Responsibility for this potential economic and ecological disaster rests solely with President Obama. He must take action immediately by ordering the locks closed and producing an emergency plan to stop Asian carp from entering Lake Michigan,” Mr. Cox said in a statement. He announced that his office is working on another legal action to try to close the locks.

http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/2010/0624/Asian-carp-caught-near-Lake-Michigan-Carp-wars-just-got-hotter

You just posted something you knew nothing at all about - as usual - because it gave you the chance to say "czar." And now - having been called out by conservative Otter - you're covering up for your ignorance by falling back on the old standby, "get the FEDS out of State business."

HonestChieffan
09-10-2010, 10:25 AM

In December, six Great Lakes states, led by Michigan, sued Illinois to force the closure of two Chicago-area navigational locks to prevent access of the fish into Lake Michigan. State leaders and environmentalists are concerned that if the fish make their way into Lake Michigan, they will destroy the ecosystem there and, eventually, ruin the $7 billion-a-year recreational fishing and tourism industries.

Michigan Attorney General Mike Cox said the discovery this week confirmed “our worst fears.” Previously, Asian carp DNA had been found in the vicinity of Lake Michigan, but this is the first live fish to be found in such close proximity.

“Responsibility for this potential economic and ecological disaster rests solely with President Obama. He must take action immediately by ordering the locks closed and producing an emergency plan to stop Asian carp from entering Lake Michigan,” Mr. Cox said in a statement. He announced that his office is working on another legal action to try to close the locks.

http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/2010/0624/Asian-carp-caught-near-Lake-Michigan-Carp-wars-just-got-hotter

You just posted something you knew nothing at all about - as usual - because it gave you the chance to say "czar." And now - having been called out by conservative Otter - you're covering up for your ignorance by falling back on the old standby, "get the FEDS out of State business."

Great lakes environmental alliances have been active and successful for years you moron.
Blow it out your ass.

Do one of your google searches on Great Lake s and atrazine as just one example, then look into lampreys, steelhead, coho, and almost anything else related to fisheries and water quality in the great lakes. Try siltation, water quality as well. Damn you are so poorly informed on such major issues. Go look for another US Soldiers are garbage story. Thats more your style.

Then go pound sand up your ass.

orange
09-10-2010, 10:39 AM
Great lakes environmental alliances have been active and successful for years you moron.

You mean like THIS ONE:

This paucity of control options has been a strong force motivating prevention. The Great Lakes Fishery Commission has been a partner with other primary agencies to seek preventative measures for Asian carp for more than a decade. These measures were discussed in greater detail by other panelists during today’s hearing. The commission has joined its partners over the years in pressing for construction of an electrical dispersal barrier, stopping trade of live Asian carp, and supporting other steps taken by management agencies in the Chicago region. The commission strongly supports current efforts to complete the electrical barrier, to build a structure of some kind to prevent species transfer between rivers that parallel the Chicago Sanitary and Ship Canal, and to plug other holes (such as culverts and pipes) that might allow species migration. The commission is heartened by the strong interest that Cameron Davis, the Senior Advisor to the EPA Administrator, has taken in this issue, because the administration’s interest in coordinating a multi-agency response is badly needed.

In short, sea lampreys changed the human way of life in the Great Lakes basin. The problem was so great that the governments of Canada and the United States were largely motivated by the sea lamprey’s devastation when they agreed to the Convention on Great Lakes Fisheries, and included sea lamprey control commitments in the treaty.

Since 1955 when the commission was formed, the commission has delivered a sea lamprey control program, in cooperation with the Department of Fisheries and Oceans Canada, the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, the U.S. Geological Survey, and the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers. The commission’s control program successfully reduced sea lamprey populations by 90% in most areas of the Great Lakes. Nevertheless, eradication is impossible and the ongoing program is expensive.

The Great Lakes Fishery Commission
Established By Convention Between Canada And The United States To Improve And Perpetuate Fishery Resources.

A FEDERAL AGENCY.

http://www.glfc.org/fishmgmt/Hansen_testimony_aisancarp.pdf

Here, if you're going to dig yourself any deeper you'll need this:

http://www.healthandsafetysupplies.co.uk/acatalog/272421.gif

dirk digler
09-10-2010, 10:42 AM
Blow it out your ass.

Do one of your google searches on Great Lake s and atrazine as just one example, then look into lampreys, steelhead, coho, and almost anything else related to fisheries and water quality in the great lakes. Try siltation, water quality as well. Damn you are so poorly informed on such major issues. Go look for another US Soldiers are garbage story. Thats more your style.

Then go pound sand up your ass.

You are getting grouchy in your old age

HonestChieffan
09-10-2010, 10:44 AM
You are getting grouchy in your old age

I know. Where you been. Watch weather tonight sounds like ugly coming.

dirk digler
09-10-2010, 10:46 AM
I know. Where you been. Watch weather tonight sounds like ugly coming.

This may sound shocking but I have been working my ass off and have had very little time for CP. Plus Obama is tanking and I am hiding :)

HonestChieffan
09-10-2010, 10:46 AM
You mean like THIS ONE:

This paucity of control options has been a strong force motivating prevention. The Great Lakes Fishery Commission has been a partner with other primary agencies to seek preventative measures for Asian carp for more than a decade. These measures were discussed in greater detail by other panelists during today’s hearing. The commission has joined its partners over the years in pressing for construction of an electrical dispersal barrier, stopping trade of live Asian carp, and supporting other steps taken by management agencies in the Chicago region. The commission strongly supports current efforts to complete the electrical barrier, to build a structure of some kind to prevent species transfer between rivers that parallel the Chicago Sanitary and Ship Canal, and to plug other holes (such as culverts and pipes) that might allow species migration. The commission is heartened by the strong interest that Cameron Davis, the Senior Advisor to the EPA Administrator, has taken in this issue, because the administration’s interest in coordinating a multi-agency response is badly needed.

In short, sea lampreys changed the human way of life in the Great Lakes basin. The problem was so great that the governments of Canada and the United States were largely motivated by the sea lamprey’s devastation when they agreed to the Convention on Great Lakes Fisheries, and included sea lamprey control commitments in the treaty.

Since 1955 when the commission was formed, the commission has delivered a sea lamprey control program, in cooperation with the Department of Fisheries and Oceans Canada, the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, the U.S. Geological Survey, and the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers. The commission’s control program successfully reduced sea lamprey populations by 90% in most areas of the Great Lakes. Nevertheless, eradication is impossible and the ongoing program is expensive.

The Great Lakes Fishery Commission
Established By Convention Between Canada And The United States To Improve And Perpetuate Fishery Resources.

A FEDERAL AGENCY.

http://www.glfc.org/fishmgmt/Hansen_testimony_aisancarp.pdf

Here, if you're going to dig yourself any deeper you'll need this:

http://www.healthandsafetysupplies.co.uk/acatalog/272421.gif

Hello stoopid. States dont enter into treaties. THAT is a federal role. But ....anyway.

HonestChieffan
09-10-2010, 10:47 AM
This may sound shocking but I have been working my ass off and have had very little time for CP. Plus Obama is tanking and I am hiding :)

Good. Work is good.

Im going to Europe so I wont pay any attention to this crap for two weeks.

BucEyedPea
09-10-2010, 11:59 AM
This is actually a pretty serious problem that you would never notice unless you fish the great lakes. I'm a steelhead fisherman in Lake Erie.

Can't wait to see their solution. I'm sure it will be expensive, stupid and ineffective however.

It's nice having absolutely no faith in government because they failed so many times. Bunch of dirtbags.

:thumb:

HonestChieffan
09-10-2010, 12:06 PM
underwater "Do Not Enter" signs in fish language? With a footnote the sign was provided as part of the Stimulus, BO President.

alpha_omega
09-10-2010, 12:24 PM
They aren't really calling him a "carp czar" are they?

HonestChieffan
09-10-2010, 12:37 PM
They cannot call him an Asian Czar.

orange
09-10-2010, 12:38 PM
They aren't really calling him a "carp czar" are they?

They don't actually call anybody "czar." That's a media invention.

Otter
09-10-2010, 01:07 PM

http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/2010/0624/Asian-carp-caught-near-Lake-Michigan-Carp-wars-just-got-hotterYou just posted something you knew nothing at all about - as usual - because it gave you the chance to say "czar." And now - having been called out by conservative Otter - you're covering up for your ignorance by falling back on the old standby, "get the FEDS out of State business."

I wasn't calling anyone out. Just laughing at the whole hypocrisy of what our government has become.

Also, I'm not sure what you're basing my being "conservative" on besides my stance on illegal immigration. I think every adult man and woman should be able to do whatever the hell they want as long as it's not hurting someone else.

Want to smoke pot? Get a prostitute? Shoot heroin? Ok - by my, just don't put anyone else in danger because of it.

Our government should be there to protect IT'S CITIZENS and not every one but while not impede or become the Jabba The Hut, overstepping it's boundaries, atrocity it's developed into because of both parties ill-conceived policies.

I'm a libertarian. And illegal immigrants should be shot as spies.

HonestChieffan
09-10-2010, 01:13 PM
I wasn't calling anyone out. Just laughing at the whole hypocrisy of what our government has become.

Also, I'm not sure what you're basing my being "conservative" on besides my stance on illegal immigration. I think every adult man and woman should be able to do whatever the hell they want as long as it's not hurting someone else.

Want to smoke pot? Get a prostitute? Shoot heroin? Ok - by my, just don't put anyone else in danger because of it.

Our government should be there to protect IT'S CITIZENS and not every one but while not impede or become the Jabba The Hut, overstepping it's boundaries, atrocity it's developed into because of both parties ill-conceived policies.

I'm a libertarian. And illegal immigrants should be shot as spies.

He needs no basis. He is Orange the Mad.

Iowanian
09-10-2010, 01:16 PM
He should have appointed Bill Dance...

fan4ever
09-10-2010, 01:28 PM
Don't you know the answer?

It's obvious and goes right in hand with this administration.

Green boats. All electric with modified propellers that don't scare the fishies.

There. Just saved a lot of money, hurt and frustration.

I'm Fan4Ever and I approved this message.

DJ's left nut
09-10-2010, 01:32 PM
The Federal government is pretty much worthless.

However, this is exactly what we have it around for. We have inter-state conflict and a matter that will absolutely harm national interests. DC stayed out of the way for awhile and nothing got done, so now they'll step in.

Washington oversteps its bounds 95% of the time it acts - this is not one of those times.

They'll still fuck it up (afterall, it's still the Obama administration), but at least they have the legal authority to do so.

alnorth
09-10-2010, 03:34 PM
Yeah, a knee-jerk response mocking Obama because the story sounds silly (Obama cares about carp! Ell oh ell!) misses the mark here. This is one of the few situations where we really have to have the federal government step in.

This stupid fish has the potential to cause incredible ecological damage to the great lakes. Once it enters the great lakes, there's little that can be done, it can not be permitted to get past Chicago, period.

The problem is that the state which can do something about it (Illinois) would be harmed by the solution. They are fine with throwing up a half-ass effort to keep the fish away rather than closing the locks, and if they screw it up, oh well darn, sorry guys. It isn't Illinois that is significantly harmed, it is the other Great Lakes states.

vailpass
09-10-2010, 03:49 PM
Yeah, a knee-jerk response mocking Obama because the story sounds silly (Obama cares about carp! Ell oh ell!) misses the mark here. This is one of the few situations where we really have to have the federal government step in.

This stupid fish has the potential to cause incredible ecological damage to the great lakes. Once it enters the great lakes, there's little that can be done, it can not be permitted to get past Chicago, period.

The problem is that the state which can do something about it (Illinois) would be harmed by the solution. They are fine with throwing up a half-ass effort to keep the fish away rather than closing the locks, and if they screw it up, oh well darn, sorry guys. It isn't Illinois that is significantly harmed, it is the other Great Lakes states.

HonestChieffan
09-10-2010, 04:53 PM
Once they find out they are going one one one with Obama I predict they will surrender and we will export them back to China.

Ebolapox
09-10-2010, 04:55 PM

yeah: I'm a huge fan of less government. but this is one of those situations that is ideally handled by the feds.

alnorth
09-10-2010, 05:02 PM

:spock:

Is this "attach a random picture that has nothing to do with the topic" day? OK fine, looks like fun. I'll play.

dirk digler
09-10-2010, 07:51 PM
Good. Work is good.

Im going to Europe so I wont pay any attention to this crap for two weeks.

Lucky you. What countries are you going to?

Silock
09-10-2010, 08:03 PM
I'm actually okay with this. It's a big problem in the entire US river system. And it's not like this guy is going to wield supreme power or anything.

HonestChieffan
09-10-2010, 09:43 PM
Lucky you. What countries are you going to?

France, Germany, Luxembourg, Belgium and Austria. WW2 History study tour. Should be good. And no Asian Carp to fear for two weeks. And Beer. Or Bier.

Dylan
09-10-2010, 10:31 PM
Obama Appoints Carp Czar
By John Bry, NewsRadio WOOD-1300 News Team
Thursday, September 9, 2010
President Obama names an environmental activist as the point-man in the fight against the invading Asian Carp. John Goss will oversee the federal government's $78-million plan to stop the Asian Carp from getting into the Great Lakes.

Goss also must try to smooth out the squabbling among the states in this region who are demanding that Illinois close off the Chicago River from Lake Michigan. Our state's Attorney General, Mike Cox reacts: "We hope he shows independence from what is essentially a Chicago-based White House, one which protects Illinois' interests over those of the Great Lakes. Will he even be allowed to advocate for closure of the locks? Time will tell, but the experts say we don't have much time left."

Capone followed by Nitti, followed by Ricca, followed by Accardo, followed by Daley. Different name, same game. http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/images/smilies/winker.gif