PDA

View Full Version : Nat'l Security Oooh-rah!

orange
09-10-2010, 10:30 AM
U.S. Marines Take Ship From Somali Pirates (PHOTOS)
First Posted: 09-10-10 09:06 AM | Updated: 09-10-10 10:58 AM

(AP) DUBAI, United Arab Emirates — U.S. Marine commandos stormed a pirate-held cargo ship off the Somalia coast Thursday, reclaiming control and taking nine prisoners without firing a shot in the first such boarding raid by the international anti-piracy flotilla, U.S. Navy officials said.

The mission - using small craft to reach the deck of German-owned vessel as the crew huddled in a safe room below - ranks among the most dramatic high seas confrontations with pirates by the task force created to protect shipping lanes off lawless Somalia.

The crew managed to kill the engines before taking refuge in an panic room-style chamber, leaving the ship adrift and the pirates so frustrated they started damaging equipment after hijacking the vessel Wednesday, Navy officials and the ship's operator say.

Lt. John pillowbitere, a spokesman at the U.S. Fifth Fleet headquarters in Bahrain, described the pre-dawn raid as an "air and sea" assault that included Cobra attack helicopters for surveillance and coordination.

Marine Corps officers involved in the raid told reporters in a conference call that the attack involved "overwhelming force" and the element of surprise. Marines were able to separate the pirates and confront them singly or in small groups, while helicopters bore down.

The armed pirates gave up quickly when faced with large numbers of Marines carrying heavier weaponry.

Getting to the crew barricaded behind three walls in a safe room proved to be a quite a challenge, however, and the Marines had to drill through steel walls to reach the suspicious sailors.

Capt. Alexander Martin said the crew was finally persuaded that they were being rescued when a Marine ripped the American flag patch from his uniform and stuffed it through a hole the rescuers had bored in the final steel door.

Martin added that he also spoke to the ship's captain in Russian.

It was the first boarding raid since the multinational task force was formed in January 2009 to patrol off the Horn of Africa, said U.S. Navy Cmdr. Amy Derrick-Frost in Bahrain.

Fage said there were no injuries reported among the Marines or 11-member crew of the Magellan Star. The pirates were armed with AK-47 assault rifles, but "there were no shots fired" on either side, Fage said.

A Turkish frigate on anti-piracy patrols, TCG Gokceada, first responded to a distress call from the ship, which flies the flag of Antigua and Barbuda. Fage said the crew - which include Polish, Russian, Ukrainian and Filipino seamen - was able to maintain contact with maritime officials from their safe room using a satellite phone.

The crew also shut down the engines as the pirates approached, leaving the ship to drift at sea, said Juergen Salamon, the ship's operator based in Dortmund, Germany.

"The pirates had entered a ship that they couldn't steer and there was no crew," he said.

The pirates then hit an emergency button that connected them directly with the ship operators in Germany.

"They asked us where the crew is," he chuckled. "We told them, 'They're on leave.'"

There was no demands for ransom, he said.

The ship was traveling from Bilbao, Spain, to Singapore with a cargo of anchor chains, Salamon said. It is now en route to Dubai for repairs.

"The pirates were angry and vandalized the ship badly," he said.

Salamon said the ship operators were not in direct contact with the U.S. Navy, but were communicating with other maritime security watchdogs in the Horn of Africa.

Then just before dawn Thursday, the U.S. team from the 15th Marine Expeditionary Unit's Maritime Raid Force launched the assault from aboard the USS Dubuque, an amphibious transport ship.

The Dubuque was in the area en route to a joint training exercise with Jordan and received orders from the White House to assist the anti-piracy task force, Brig. Gen. David Berger, the head of Marine Corps operations at the Pentagon.

"It's a great thing that everything ended without any bloodshed," Salamon said.

In a separate case, Bulgarian Prime Minister Boiko Borisov said a cargo ship held for four months by Somali pirates has been freed. He did not say whether ransom was paid for the release of the Bulgarian-flagged chemical tanker Panega, which was hijacked off the Yemeni port of Aden.

Borisov said the 15 Bulgarian crew members were safe.

U.S. warships are part of a 25-nation mission protecting merchant vessels from pirate attacks off the coast of Somalia and into the Gulf of Aden. The task force often opens fire on suspected pirates, but had not previously launched a boarding raid.

In April 2009, a team of Navy Seal sharpshooters positioned on the fantail of a U.S. warship killed a trio of Somali pirates to free an American sea captain who had been taken hostage and was being held at gunpoint onboard a lifeboat.

Last month, Denmark said a helicopter from one of its warships fired warning shots and foiled a pirate attack off Somalia.

At the United Nations, Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon said last month options under consideration to prosecute suspected pirates include creating a special international court.

More than 140 piracy-related incidents have been reported off Somalia's coast since January and more than 30 ships have been hijacked, according to U.N. and anti-piracy task force reports.

http://i.huffpost.com/gadgets/slideshows/10438/slide_10438_137563_large.jpg

orange
09-10-2010, 10:31 AM
http://i.huffpost.com/gadgets/slideshows/10438/slide_10438_137569_large.jpg?1284132669075
http://i.huffpost.com/gadgets/slideshows/10438/slide_10438_137565_large.jpg?1284132698791
http://i.huffpost.com/gadgets/slideshows/10438/slide_10438_137567_large.jpg?1284132742800

orange
09-10-2010, 10:33 AM
http://i.huffpost.com/gadgets/slideshows/10438/slide_10438_137572_large.jpg?1284132776518

Joe Seahawk
09-10-2010, 05:29 PM
LT John Pillowbitere? :) I wonder if that's really his name..

Keep ip the good !work men.. OOH - RAH

ClevelandBronco
09-10-2010, 05:32 PM
Sorry, orange. It looks like no one is willing to give you credit for posting a positive item about the U.S. military.

Chief Henry
09-10-2010, 05:42 PM
Sorry, orange. It looks like no one is willing to give you credit for posting a positive item about the U.S. military.

Sarcasm is dripping from your post. We allknow his M-O by now that he doesn't mean squat with this thread, after all he picks a story about
us capturing a tug boat. But we all know thats what Orange thinks our military is good for, capturing tug boats !!! He's the one that posted it.

SNR
09-10-2010, 05:44 PM
Sarcasm is dripping from your post. We allknow his M-O by now that he doesn't mean squat with this thread, after all he picks a story about
us capturing a tug boat. But we all know thats what Orange thinks our military is good for, capturing tug boats !!! He's the one that posted it.You ask him to post a positive thread about the military.

He does so.

You say, "Yeah, but you don't MEEEEEEAAAAN it"

orange
09-10-2010, 06:50 PM

Give them time. They're trying to figure out a way to turn this into an anti-Obama thread, like they did the Medal Of Honor post.

Bwana-be should be here any minute with his locker stall picture of Obama on the bike.

Otter
09-10-2010, 06:58 PM
Give them time. They're trying to figure out a way to turn this into an anti-Obama thread, like they did the Medal Of Honor post.

Bwana-be should be here any minute with his locker stall picture of Obama on the bike.

I got ya Bwana:

http://www.streetsblog.org/wp-content/uploads/2008/06_16/obama_bike.jpg

vailpass
09-10-2010, 07:01 PM
1. It's "oorah" (kill them all)
2. You shouldn't be using it

orange
09-10-2010, 07:17 PM
1. It's "oorah" (kill them all)
2. You shouldn't be using it

Tell Clovis.

http://www.allmilitary.com/board/viewtopic.php?id=2252&p=2

mikey23545
09-10-2010, 07:27 PM
You ask him to post a positive thread about the military.

He does so.

You say, "Yeah, but you don't MEEEEEEAAAAN it"

It's so unfair...Right after he posts an article that savages the military and obviously revels in it, someone says he would never post something complimentary about the military. The very next day he then posts an article about the military that is complimentary.

That reeks of sincerity.

BTW, how can you type with Obama's balls on your chin and Orange's taint rubbing on your crotch?

Radar Chief
09-10-2010, 07:33 PM
Tell Clovis.

http://www.allmilitary.com/board/viewtopic.php?id=2252&p=2

Crawfish has it right.

Army: Hoo-ah
Marines: Ooo-rah
Navy: Hoo-yah
Air Force: You guys are too motivated

orange
09-10-2010, 07:48 PM
The very next day he then posts an article about the military that is complimentary.

It really was special for the 25 nation anti-piracy flotilla to stage this raid now just for my benefit. I'll have to remember them with a Christmas card.

p.s. That other article DID NOT "savage the military." It reported about a handful of criminals who disgraced the uniforms they were wearing.

I guess you really ARE INCAPABLE of separating individuals from groups. This explains your islamophobia.

SNR
09-10-2010, 08:01 PM
It's so unfair...Right after he posts an article that savages the military and obviously revels in it, someone says he would never post something complimentary about the military. The very next day he then posts an article about the military that is complimentary.

That reeks of sincerity.

BTW, how can you type with Obama's balls on your chin and Orange's taint rubbing on your crotch?You know, it's funny. In that other thread you got mistaken for a religious conservative and obviously took it as an insult, since you're an atheist.

One would think that after being the victim of someone else's intellectual laziness, you would take notice and refuse to make the same mistake.

But then again, you're a piece of shit.

Bottom line: I didn't vote for Obama. I don't like him at all. I won't vote for him next election, either. I'm backing orange because it's retarded to call him anti-American for posting a goddamn article. You're just too stupid to realize that there's a difference between agreeing with a liberal and liking Obama.

Radar Chief
09-10-2010, 08:08 PM
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/dJu3MswUqSc?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/dJu3MswUqSc?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

I didn't even know Gunny Ermey was in Apocalypse Now.
Without Googling it can anyone name the part he played?

Bwana
09-10-2010, 08:10 PM
I got ya Bwana:

http://www.streetsblog.org/wp-content/uploads/2008/06_16/obama_bike.jpg

LMAO

Bwana
09-10-2010, 08:13 PM

It looks like someone had my back, dickweed. Nice counter post to the shit you threw out here yesterday, douche.

ClevelandBronco
09-11-2010, 11:27 AM
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/dJu3MswUqSc?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/dJu3MswUqSc?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

I didn't even know Gunny Ermey was in Apocalypse Now.
Without Googling it can anyone name the part he played?

If I recall correctly he took part in the helicopter attack against the village. Was he the pilot that issues the mayday?

Radar Chief
09-11-2010, 12:24 PM
If I recall correctly he took part in the helicopter attack against the village. Was he the pilot that issues the mayday?

It's been too long since I've seen it but according to IMDB your right on with the hellicopter pilot.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0078788/fullcredits#cast

Rain Man
09-11-2010, 12:38 PM
Hopefully they released the pirates immediately, but confiscated their boat.

And by 'immediately', I mean, of course, immediately.

Mizzou_8541
09-11-2010, 02:49 PM
Regardless of the motive to post this article, it takes unbelievable skill (and balls) to conduct a VBSS mission. Those Marines had probably 110 lbs of kit and weapons, had to navigate the open water in a rigid hulled inflatable boat, hook up to the side of the ship, scale a rope ladder approximately 15 feet onto the ship, then clear it methodically. All of this under combat conditions. Hats off to these Marines! Semper!

BucEyedPea
09-11-2010, 03:03 PM
Well, we all know our Marine commandos can do this kind of thing. I am proud of what they did. I am glad the crew was saved.

But why are we saving a German cargo ship? Can't Germany take care of their own? We have to do that too?

I say arm these cargo ships so less of this happens instead of using expensive military operations. I don't like this idea of an "international" anything whether a piracy flotilla, bank, trade institutions. What next a global military?

The Mad Crapper
09-11-2010, 07:42 PM

Orange is an unrepentant scumbag.

Hog Farmer
09-11-2010, 07:55 PM
Well, we all know our Marine commandos can do this kind of thing. I am proud of what they did. I am glad the crew was saved.

But why are we saving a German cargo ship? Can't Germany take care of their own? We have to do that too? I say arm these cargo ships so less of this happens instead of using expensive military operations. I don't like this idea of an "international" anything whether a piracy flotilla, bank, trade institutions. What next a global military?

We have to make sure the World continues to Understand that we are the best and everyone else is the rest.

WoodDraw
09-11-2010, 08:15 PM

But why are we saving a German cargo ship? Can't Germany take care of their own? We have to do that too?

I say arm these cargo ships so less of this happens instead of using expensive military operations. I don't like this idea of an "international" anything whether a piracy flotilla, bank, trade institutions. What next a global military?

Because Germany has no control over the ship - it's under a flag of convenience, which you no doubt support.

WoodDraw
09-11-2010, 08:18 PM
Also, there are the unwritten laws of the sea where if a ship is in trouble, you support them if able regardless of cost or ownership. That goes back ages and ages.

BucEyedPea
09-12-2010, 07:48 PM
Also, there are the unwritten laws of the sea where if a ship is in trouble, you support them if able regardless of cost or ownership. That goes back ages and ages.

Link?

I still say arm them instead so these are less likely to occur. Then call in the military.

Flags of convenience are the result of frustrations from increased regulations and rising labor costs. That's easy to fix. But you wouldn't support that.
I'm surprised Germany is a more ideal country to register in than the US.

Norman Einstein
09-13-2010, 03:01 PM
They should have just shot them all and saved the time and money between the time of their pardon by Obama.

|Zach|
09-13-2010, 05:24 PM
You know, it's funny. In that other thread you got mistaken for a religious conservative and obviously took it as an insult, since you're an atheist.

One would think that after being the victim of someone else's intellectual laziness, you would take notice and refuse to make the same mistake.

But then again, you're a piece of shit.

Bottom line: I didn't vote for Obama. I don't like him at all. I won't vote for him next election, either. I'm backing orange because it's retarded to call him anti-American for posting a goddamn article. You're just too stupid to realize that there's a difference between agreeing with a liberal and liking Obama.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_r5smDLKc8XA/SubtrSSrP6I/AAAAAAAABro/yto0r7qCsyg/s320/nailed+it.bmp

WoodDraw
09-13-2010, 08:07 PM
Link?

I still say arm them instead so these are less likely to occur. Then call in the military.

Flags of convenience are the result of frustrations from increased regulations and rising labor costs. That's easy to fix. But you wouldn't support that.
I'm surprised Germany is a more ideal country to register in than the US.

They weren't flying under a German flag; they were registered in Antigua Barbuda. And I'm not sure the solution is to lower the rest of the worlds safety and registration standards to those of Antigua Barbuda.

As for a link,

http://www.uscg.mil/international/affairs/Publications/MMSCode/english/Chap9.htm

All ship and aircraft commanders have an obligation to assist those in danger of being lost at sea. This long recognized duty of mariners permits assistance entry into the territorial sea by vessels, and, under certain circumstances, aircraft, without permission of the coastal state to engage in bona fide efforts to render emergency assistance to those in danger or distress at sea. This right is independent of the right of innocent passage, transit passage, and archipelagic sea lanes passage and is recognized in Article 18.2 of the 1982 U.N. Convention on the Law of the Sea. These efforts to render assistance must be undertaken in good faith and not as a subterfuge. This right applies only when the danger or distress is reasonably well known. It does not extend to entering the territorial sea to conduct a search.

BucEyedPea
09-13-2010, 09:39 PM
They weren't flying under a German flag; they were registered in Antigua Barbuda. And I'm not sure the solution is to lower the rest of the worlds safety and registration standards to those of Antigua Barbuda.
No but if Germany's were lower I'd have no problem matching that.

WoodDraw
09-16-2010, 12:16 AM
No but if Germany's were lower I'd have no problem matching that.

Who's talking about Germany?

BucEyedPea
09-16-2010, 01:37 PM
Who's talking about Germany?

The original post and I due to it being in the OP. You commented on my post about why are we saving a German vessel. Remember?

Then later you said they really weren't but were just registered elsewhere.

WoodDraw
09-16-2010, 11:34 PM
The original post and I due to it being in the OP. You commented on my post about why are we saving a German vessel. Remember?

Then later you said they really weren't but were just registered elsewhere.

You said why are we saving a German ship and I said:

"Because Germany has no control over the ship - it's under a flag of convenience, which you no doubt support."

It's not flying under a German flag, just like most of our ships owned by American companies fly under flags from small caribbean countries. You somehow took that as for me comparing out licensing regulations to Germany's.