PDA

View Full Version : Life Wolfman Jack

Gracie Dean
09-11-2010, 09:38 PM
so, the other day we had a few minutes left of class and my kids and I started talking about music and the changes through the years.

They had NO idea who Wolfman Jack was

made me feel old but also sad that these kids missed out on some awesome sounds

gblowfish
09-11-2010, 09:44 PM
Look me in the eyes, baby.
Now you cut that jive
You know the Wolfman
Is the Number One Cat Alive
You got my great big eyes
Spinnin' round in my head,
How can you love another man instead?

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/6GzZpl9F5ho?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/6GzZpl9F5ho?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

CosmicPal
09-11-2010, 09:53 PM
Your kids also have no idea how cool it was to walk into a record store and flip through albums while looking for that next great album wrapped neatly in cellophane to take home and slap down on your record player. The sound of that needle hitting the album was priceless.

T-post Tom
09-11-2010, 09:53 PM
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/AXTENLjqEVg?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/AXTENLjqEVg?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

DaneMcCloud
09-11-2010, 09:56 PM
Wow, that's sad.

I feel sorry for people that aren't familiar with the true "Roots" and beginning of rock and roll, and those that moved it forward.

Go rent (or Netflix) "American Graffiti" and "Cadillac Records" for starters.

Gracie Dean
09-11-2010, 09:59 PM
Wow, that's sad.

I feel sorry for people that aren't familiar with the true "Roots" and beginning of rock and roll, and those that moved it forward.

Go rent (or Netflix) "American Graffiti" and "Cadillac Records" for starters.

I own American Graffiti

I am thinking about starting a "film club" showing things like AG and other things like that becasue we do not have time in our curriculum or pacing guide to do things like this.

In Arkansas I had 4 days when the huge Benton County fair when on that most of the kids were doing Ag type shows. I had only a handful of students so I did a history of music type of thing. It was awesome

Gracie Dean
09-11-2010, 10:00 PM
Your kids also have no idea how cool it was to walk into a record store and flip through albums while looking for that next great album wrapped neatly in cellophane to take home and slap down on your record player. The sound of that needle hitting the album was priceless.

most of them don't even know what a cassette tape is and 8-track...forget it

Just Passin' By
09-11-2010, 10:02 PM
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/u12xbLeMY6A?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/u12xbLeMY6A?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Gonzo
09-11-2010, 10:03 PM
IIRC, wasn't American Graffiti filmed in Modesto?
Posted via Mobile Device

DaneMcCloud
09-11-2010, 10:03 PM
I own American Graffiti

Well, re-watch it. Wolfman Jack has an integral role in the film. It was filmed more than 10 years after his initial impact on American Culture but those who were around in those days LOVED him and never forgot him.

And rent "Cadillac Records". It's not for children (because of the language) but it's an awesome film about one of THE most influential record companies of ALL-TIME.

pr_capone
09-11-2010, 10:04 PM
Why feel sorry for them?

I'll tell you... there is very little music from 67 - 78 that I care for and don't much care to delve in deeper. Now, take it a bit further back when rockabilly was getting its start and you have my full attention. Take it back even further and give me some Cab, Ella, Etta, the Louis (Armstrong, Jordan, and Prima), Benny and Glen, Bix, Lionel, and the Duke... I'm in heaven.

Most people don't know that music either but I don't feel sorry for people not knowing or enjoying it... just not their preferred flavor of music.

DaneMcCloud
09-11-2010, 10:05 PM
IIRC, wasn't American Graffiti filmed in Modesto?
Posted via Mobile Device

Modesto, Lodi and Stockton.

Lucas was from Modesto.

T-post Tom
09-11-2010, 10:16 PM
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/u12xbLeMY6A?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/u12xbLeMY6A?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

That's great. Haven't heard that song in years. :D

DaneMcCloud
09-11-2010, 10:17 PM
Why feel sorry for them?

I'll tell you... there is very little music from 67 - 78 that I care for and don't much care to delve in deeper.

Whoa.

Cream? Hendrix? The Beatles? The Who? Zeppelin? The Eagles? Frampton? Aerosmith? Floyd? ZZ Top? Derek and the Dominoes? Allmans? Boston? None of the above?

WTF?

What do you listen to? Euro Dance Tracks?

Gonzo
09-11-2010, 10:21 PM
Whoa.

Cream? Hendrix? The Beatles? The Who? Zeppelin? The Eagles? Frampton? Aerosmith? Floyd? ZZ Top? Derek and the Dominoes? Allmans? Boston? None of the above?

WTF?

Which one of these do not belong?

ZZ Top was what we were looking for.
Posted via Mobile Device

CosmicPal
09-11-2010, 10:23 PM
Whoa.

WTF?

Well, I like his tastes in jazz, but I couldn't agree with you more: some of the best music came from that period. Don't forget The Velvet Underground, The Doors, Pink Floyd, Can, Miles Davis, Bob Dylan, Bruce Springsteen, Bob Marley, and so much more...

alanm
09-11-2010, 10:26 PM

Posted via Mobile DeviceWhy do you say that? Billy, Dusty and Frank started out in 1969. If you're saying they shouldn't be mentioned with the other artists I think you're wrong. In fact their still going strong.

CosmicPal
09-11-2010, 10:27 PM

Posted via Mobile Device

Ohhhhhhhhh, I know someone who might neg rep you for that. :D

DaneMcCloud
09-11-2010, 10:27 PM
Why feel sorry for them?

Most people don't know that music either but I don't feel sorry for people not knowing or enjoying it... just not their preferred flavor of music.Choice is one thing.

Not being exposed is quite another.

Gonzo
09-11-2010, 10:45 PM
Ohhhhhhhhh, I know someone who might neg rep you for that. :D

JMO. I really dislike ZZ top. Maybe it's because they're overplayed on every fricken classic rock station, (alng with ACDC and KISS). Personally I think all of the other musicians mentioned in Dane's post were/are superior. To each his own though.
Posted via Mobile Device

Fat Elvis
09-11-2010, 10:53 PM
JMO. I really dislike ZZ top. Maybe it's because they're overplayed on every fricken classic rock station, (alng with ACDC and KISS). Personally I think all of the other musicians mentioned in Dane's post were/are superior. To each his own though.
Posted via Mobile Device

Eh, I hate Led Zeppelin.

boogblaster
09-11-2010, 10:54 PM
Wolfman had a weekly radio-show when I was a teenager .. kool gruff-voiced dude ....

pr_capone
09-11-2010, 10:59 PM
Whoa.

WTF?

I like Clapton/Cream/Derek, don't care much for Hendrix or The Beatles though I think that the Beatles... specifically Lennon & McCartney were incredible writers and Ringo's acting skills were top notch in Caveman. The Who, Zeppelin, Boston and the Eagles are meh to me though I own the Eagles Greatest Hits album. Floyd is alright and I have no love for the Allmans.

As to whom I listen to.

I like a lot of old jazz. Ella Gitzgerald's voice was amazing... her duets with Armstrong are incredible pieces of music. For big band type stuff I love Cab Calloway most of all. Miller has a few albums out that is all about his days in the Army Air Force band that I love listening to. If I'm in the mood for piano I usually reach for Duke Ellington, horns I go with Fletcher Henderson or Sidney Bechet.

I really enjoy jump blues and that eventual leads into rockabilly / rock. There you have guys like Louis Jordan, Big Joe Turner, Chuck Berry, and of course Ray Charles. It all points the same way... I just prefer it a little older than you do.

More modern then... Weezer, anything related to Setzer, Squirrel Nut Zippers, Dave Stephens, Paul Galaxy, Matisyahu, Offspring, and early Dave Matthews. Tastes very from there as well but that would probably be my main choices.

teedubya
09-11-2010, 11:06 PM
Whoa.

WTF?

No shit.

I have said that in my personal opinion... the best decade of music from 1965-1974.

Once the Beatles started getting high... and wrote Rubber Soul... along with the Stones starting to write new stuff... the Yardbirds... Bob Dylan... Hendrix...

amazing tunes. I would have loved to hot tub time machine back to 1969.

Chiefs Pantalones
09-11-2010, 11:08 PM
Wolfman Jack? The only Jack I know of is this one...

http://www.patriciaebauer.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/07/20080731_simple-jack.jpg

nstygma
09-11-2010, 11:19 PM
I recently read Eric Clapton's autobiography. Very good reading

DaneMcCloud
09-11-2010, 11:21 PM
I just prefer it a little older than you do.

You are mistaken, my friend.

I have a GREAT appreciation for the music of the 30's, 40's and 50's. As a matter of fact, at our wedding reception in 2001, I only allowed Frank, Dean, Sammy, Ella, Etta. Louie and Bobby Darin to sing at our wedding reception.

:D

It's just that I have a much broader appreciation of music than you do.

That's not an indictment of your personal tastes, it's just that I love just about every form of music that's well done up until around 1990. As much as I respect the Rap community and its innovators, it doesn't speak to me, much like Dave Matthews and Phish and a number of East Coast groups don't speak to me.

But the Standards? Hellz yeah!

"Bob" Dobbs
09-11-2010, 11:22 PM
Wolfman Jack is and always has been one of my heroes. RIP, Bob Smith.

DaneMcCloud
09-11-2010, 11:23 PM
I recently read Eric Clapton's autobiography. Very good reading

Did he go into detail about his love for George Harrison's wife (his "alleged" best friend?). Did he talk about his heroin addiction that lasted throughout the 70's because of that "love"?

Did he talk about his "revival", which was brought about from Duck Dunn (Booker T and the MG's) and Phil Collins?

Did he describe banging Sheryl Crow?

DaneMcCloud
09-11-2010, 11:24 PM
Wolfman Jack is and always has been one of my heroes. RIP, Bob Smith.

Well, that's only because you work in radio

:p

"Bob" Dobbs
09-11-2010, 11:27 PM
LOL. He was why I got into radio in the first place.

pr_capone
09-11-2010, 11:33 PM
You are mistaken, my friend.

I have a GREAT appreciation for the music of the 30's, 40's and 50's. As a matter of fact, at our wedding reception in 2001, I only allowed Frank, Dean, Sammy, Ella, Etta. Louie and Bobby Darin to sing at our wedding reception.

It's just that I have a much broader appreciation of music than you do.

That's not an indictment of your personal tastes, it's just that I love just about every form of music that's well done up until around 1990. As much as I respect the Rap community and its innovators, it doesn't speak to me, much like Dave Matthews and Phish and a number of East Coast groups don't speak to me.

But the Standards? Hellz yeah!

The 90's were huge for me... but that is when I was a teenager most impressionable to popular music. In the 90's you have No Doubt, Beck, Nirvana, Alice, Pearl Jam (though not among my favorite), Offspring, Greenday, & Weezer among a ton other. Aside from Rock/Metal/Grunge, you had groups Run DMC, NWA, Dre, Snoop, BIG, Tupac, & Bone.

I don't knot that your tastes are broader. Much like you can respect the rap community and other innovators of the 90's, I feel the same way towards everyone in the bands that you listed off. They are all talented musicians and I can see their appeal to people.

It just seems like our paths only cross from the 30s to the 50s. You dig the 60s & 70s and I prefer the 90s.

DaneMcCloud
09-11-2010, 11:36 PM
It just seems like our paths only cross from the 30s to the 50s. You dig the 60s & 70s and I prefer the 90s.

For the most part, the 90's were regurgitated 70's music.

From the Black Crowes (Faces, Stones, Rod Stewart, Allmans) to AIC (Black Sabbath) to Pearl Jam (70's AOR) to Nirvana (Cheap Trick) to No Doubt (Blondie) and on an on and on.

Go back to the source.

pr_capone
09-11-2010, 11:37 PM
That said.. glad to know someone else who appreciates the old stuff. Most people my age and even a few decades older have no clue who Bix Beiderbecke is. :D

DaneMcCloud
09-11-2010, 11:39 PM
That said.. glad to know someone else who appreciates the old stuff. Most people my age and even a few decades older have no clue who Bix Beiderbecke is. :D

Yeah but no offense, what you're saying about the 90's is ludicrous.

It's like saying "Yeah Man, I LOVE Cherry Poppin' Daddies and Big Bad Voodoo Daddies, but I HATE Glen Miller and Louie Prima".

It makes no sense.

Go back to the 70's, Dude.

You won't be disappointed.

pr_capone
09-12-2010, 12:12 AM
Yeah but no offense, what you're saying about the 90's is ludicrous.

It's like saying "Yeah Man, I LOVE Cherry Poppin' Daddies and Big Bad Voodoo Daddies, but I HATE Glen Miller and Louie Prima".

It makes no sense.

Go back to the 70's, Dude.

You won't be disappointed.

Erm... no. I don't like either band. If that is all the more in modern swing that you have been exposed to then you are sorely missing out.

It's like saying... I LOVE the Stray Cats and Paul Galaxy and I don't much care for the Everly Brothers. I LOVE Tom Petty and I could do without Bob Dylan. I never said I hate. When did I ever say hate?

How can I not be in the slightest bit offended? lol You have summarily dismissed an entire generation of music offhand. You may dislike Rap music but it had a huge influence on an entire generation of music and continues to do so now. The rap music in the 90s was the best there ever was.

By the way, to say that Gwen Stefani/No Doubt is ANYTHING like Blondie is borderline merh. No offence. ;)

JoeyChuckles
09-12-2010, 12:41 AM
I'm 28 and have no idea who Wolfman Jack is.

DaneMcCloud
09-12-2010, 01:02 AM
You have summarily dismissed an entire generation of music offhand.

Uh, no, that was you

"Bob" Dobbs
09-12-2010, 01:08 AM
I'm 28 and have no idea who Wolfman Jack is.That's too bad. Possibly the greatest DJ ever at a time when that meant something.
Posted via Mobile Device

pr_capone
09-12-2010, 01:24 AM
Uh, no, that was you

I don't want to do this with you Dane. You have put words in my mouth twice now and I'm not particularly fond of that.

If you can show me where I have said that I hate the music from that era I will apologize profusely and listen to the full led zeppelin catalog in one sitting. I recognize the talent of those musicians and even enjoy a selection of songs and bands of that era. It's just not my cup of tea. That is far from a dismissal of an era of music.

How is what you said here about the music from the 90s any different than what I'm saying about the late 60s through 70's?

As much as I respect the Rap community and its innovators, it doesn't speak to me, much like Dave Matthews and Phish and a number of East Coast groups don't speak to me.

But then to dismiss the rock of the 90s as a mere regurgitation of the 70's is a stretch. You know that Blondie damn well does not compare to No Doubt in any other way than there is a chick fronting the band. RHCP, REM, Beck, Radiohead, Smashing Pumpkins, Cranberries, NIN, STP, Weezer, Offspring...

It really is ok though. The world is not going to stop spinning because you and I disagree on music. :D

milkman
09-12-2010, 05:29 AM
I'm probably a minority of one, but I thought Wolfman Jack was just an irritating loudmouth, and made American Graffitti nearly unwatchable for me.

Any time I heard his voice on the radio when I was a kid, I wanted to stick a fork in his larnyx.

Pestilence
09-12-2010, 06:41 AM
Give it time. I didn't get into the older stuff until I was out of high school.

crossbow
09-12-2010, 06:59 AM
67 - 78 was clearly a golden age of modern music that will not occur again for a long time. My kids listen to that those people even today.

Over-Head
09-12-2010, 07:15 AM
Eh, I hate Led Zeppelin. you aint the only one, a few songs I like, same as Floyd.
Guess I just dont smoke enough weed,,,,,If thats possible? :p

Baby Lee
09-12-2010, 07:27 AM
Tell them it's Ferrell on ludes.

Dave Lane
09-12-2010, 09:09 AM
Should I clap for the Wolfman?

Dave Lane
09-12-2010, 09:11 AM
I'm probably a minority of one, but I thought Wolfman Jack was just an irritating loudmouth, and made American Graffitti nearly unwatchable for me.

Any time I heard his voice on the radio when I was a kid, I wanted to stick a fork in his larnyx.

So you had the red ass even as a child. Wow not that surprising I suppose but the red ass is strong in this one. :)

Demonpenz
09-12-2010, 11:56 AM
29 don't care about the wolfpack or any of that nwo shit

BigRedChief
09-12-2010, 03:41 PM
Got to spend the day with Wolfman Jack back in 1982 or so. I was promoting concerts and he was the host for a concert. The dude could barely walk because of a knee issue. Seemed like a cool guy.

Gracie Dean
09-12-2010, 05:20 PM
That's great. Haven't heard that song in years. :D

We saw them in 2000 for free in Sprindale Arkansas. They were pretty awesome.

Clap for the Wolfman
These Eyes
American Woman
No sugar tonight
Share the land