PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Chiefs-Chargers to battle for 1st place in AFC West...

petegz28
09-12-2010, 06:04 PM
Doesn't that sound fucking awesome????

Too bad it's only week 1. :banghead:

milkman
09-12-2010, 06:06 PM
Uh.....yeah.

I'm.....excited.

Can ya tell?

LaChapelle
09-12-2010, 06:06 PM
So the worse KC can be is #2

boogblaster
09-12-2010, 06:08 PM
we'b first come tuesday morning

Bowser
09-12-2010, 06:08 PM
I see what you did there

58-4ever
09-12-2010, 06:10 PM
It would be nice to be the only team that wins week 1. The donks and faiders looked like shit today.

petegz28
09-12-2010, 06:11 PM
On paper I think we have a good chance of winning at home. SD is not the same team they have been over the last few years. Their #1 WR is out. Roidman is probably out. LT is gone. That all "sounds" nice.

If SD can stop our running game we are fucked. Conversely we have to shut down AG and I hope to see some good play from Berry in that area. However if SD cannot get a handle on Charles I think we can run right over them.

Also we need Arenas to carry over from the pre-season and give us some good starting field pos. That is a luxury we rarely had last year.

petegz28
09-12-2010, 06:12 PM
It would be nice to be the only team that wins week 1. The donks and faiders looked like shit today.

The Donks were the beneficiaries of 3 bullshit calls and 1 bullshit non-call and still couldn't win.

milkman
09-12-2010, 06:15 PM
We aren't going to shut down Ryan Matthews.

And unless we can get after Rivers, we won't shut down Antonio Gates or any of their other receivers.

Charles is going to have to have a game like he played against Denver for this team to have a chance.

tk13
09-12-2010, 06:19 PM
We'll see. My position hasn't changed since the schedule came out. Week one is always a crapshoot, we're at home, new Arrowhead. Against a Chargers team that is notoriously slow out of the gate... we'll have a shot.

petegz28
09-12-2010, 06:19 PM
We aren't going to shut down Ryan Matthews.

And unless we can get after Rivers, we won't shut down Antonio Gates or any of their other receivers.

Charles is going to have to have a game like he played against Denver for this team to have a chance.

We played pretty decent against the run in the pre-season. I am not going to say we can't shut down anyone yet on the ground. I am waiting to see if having a DC that actually knows defense is going to make a difference. All we have to go on right now is pre-season and we looked better defensively than we have in the last several years. Again though, it was pre-season.

milkman
09-12-2010, 06:27 PM
We played pretty decent against the run in the pre-season. I am not going to say we can't shut down anyone yet on the ground. I am waiting to see if having a DC that actually knows defense is going to make a difference. All we have to go on right now is pre-season and we looked better defensively than we have in the last several years. Again though, it was pre-season.

I think it's possible that the Chiefs have improved against the run due to scheme, and due to the fact that Berry's instincts and speed gives Crennel the freedom to be creative with scheme.

However, we still are weak in the middle, Berry and scheme notwithstanding.

In the end, a fast, strong RB against a weak middle will get it done.

petegz28
09-12-2010, 06:28 PM
I think it's possible that the Chiefs have improved against the run due to scheme, and due to the fact that Berry's instincts and speed gives Crennel the freedom to be creative with scheme.

Well lets hope not. If what we saw in pre-season, the bend but don't break defense, is what we get then I will not be disappointed.

Hog Farmer
09-12-2010, 07:04 PM
Arrowhead will be rockin and we'll be running it down their throats , you can bank on it. We will be in sole posession of first place for once in a long time and we deserve it.

chiefzilla1501
09-12-2010, 07:09 PM

Will be interesting to see. The LBs are playing with a hell of a lot more discipline. That was something that really stood out to me in the preseason. On a lot of run plays last year, we seemed to give up way too many big plays because we had 2 or 3 guys that were out of place. I think a lot of that might have to do with our defensive players thinking less. Pendergast was criticized for having a defense that was way too complicated and had players overthinking. Still, we're going to struggle if Edwards is continually only taking one blocker and even still doing that below average. We'll give up a lot of yards, but I could see this defense keeping San Diego to about 20 points if they're on their game.

It should be very interesting. I do think Berry is going to limit Gates. I do think our discipline in our front 7 is going to make us better at defending the run compared to last year. I don't think you need a 250 yard game from Charles to win. But I think against a team like SD, even without a few key pieces, we have to be perfect. We can't make stupid mistakes like we made both times we played SD last year.

Rain Man
09-12-2010, 07:23 PM
Wire to wire, just like Secretariat with Matt Cassel as the jockey.

jbwm89
09-12-2010, 07:33 PM
It feels like Christmas Eve. Haven't been this excited about Chiefs football in a while

Reerun_KC
09-12-2010, 07:35 PM
Uh.....yeah.

I'm.....excited.

Can ya tell?

Yep!

Me fucking too! New season, new hope...

Shit this season is going to be a blast and better than last year.

Chiefs football is back and I cant help but not be excited about it!

Ugly Duck
09-12-2010, 07:35 PM
The Donks were the beneficiaries of 3 bullshit calls and 1 bullshit non-call and still couldn't win.

Whats the story on those? Donk fans didn't see them...

The Bad Guy
09-12-2010, 07:38 PM
Funny thing is the Chargers middle is just as bad, if not worse than ours.

They don't have a NT worth a shit. Castillo is a nice player, but not a dominating presence. Their LBs are light in the ass.

The Chiefs run game can really kick the fuck out of them.

Chiefs Pantalones
09-12-2010, 07:40 PM
I'm freaking stoked. I can't wait for tomorrow night!

milkman
09-12-2010, 07:42 PM

They don't have a NT worth a shit. Castillo is a nice player, but not a dominating presence. Their LBs are light in the ass.

The Chiefs run game can really kick the **** out of them.

Absolutely.

But they hold the trump card.

They have Rivers.

We have Cassel.

We're going to a gunfight and we don't even have a popgun.

We're hoping to scare them by popping balloons.

RiversRunRed
09-12-2010, 08:19 PM
Absolutely.

But they hold the trump card.

They have Rivers.

We have Cassel.

We're going to a gunfight and we don't even have a popgun.

We're hoping to scare them by popping balloons.

While your right about Rivers being better than Cassel, I think a dominant run game can beat an elite quarterback. See Houston V Indianapolis

You could however argue that Shaub & Andre Johnson are a better combo than Cassel & Bowe and i would agree with you. However they were a non-factor in that particular game.

petegz28
09-12-2010, 08:22 PM
If we can run the ball it will open up the PA pass. And with the Weis offense of dink and dunk we should be able to win the battle for ToP. We just have to avoid giving up the big play to Gates. With Jackson out it really takes away a big threat from SD ar the WR spot.

milkman
09-12-2010, 08:24 PM
While your right about Rivers being better than Cassel, I think a dominant run game can beat an elite quarterback. See Houston V Indianapolis

You could however argue that Shaub & Andre Johnson are a better combo than Cassel & Bowe and i would agree with you. However they were a non-factor in that particular game.

I agree that a dominant run game can, and does beat an elite QB.

But can a dominant run game beat an elite QB who is also supported by a dominant run game?

I think that's what we're up against.

milkman
09-12-2010, 08:25 PM
If we can run the ball it will open up the PA pass. And with the Weis offense of dink and dunk we should be able to win the battle for ToP. We just have to avoid giving up the big play to Gates. With Jackson out it really takes away a big threat from SD ar the WR spot.

You don't use the play action to open up the dink and dunk.

Basileus777
09-12-2010, 08:25 PM
The only thing separating Dan Diego from all the other shitty/mediocre teams in the AFC West is Philip Rivers. But that's still a pretty big divide.

RiversRunRed
09-12-2010, 08:26 PM
quite possibly, but i hope Matthews has a CJ Spiller type performance:evil:

Bane
09-12-2010, 08:26 PM
Whats the story on those? Donk fans didn't see them...

ROFL

Mourning?:thumb:

Gadzooks
09-12-2010, 08:35 PM
I do think Berry is going to limit Gates

ROFL

the Talking Can
09-12-2010, 08:36 PM
based on the wierdness of this first day, it wouldn't surprise me if Cassel threw for 300 yards and 3 tds each 50+ yards

but in the real world,

it will take great schemes by our new coordinators

keg in kc
09-12-2010, 08:37 PM
based on the wierdness of this first day, it wouldn't surprise me if Cassel threw for 300 yards and 3 tds each 50+ yards

but in the real world,

it will take great schemes by our new coordinatorsThat's what they were hired for.

We're in trouble if Hali and McCluster are out, though.

Not that we're not in trouble with them.

petegz28
09-12-2010, 08:38 PM
You don't use the play action to open up the dink and dunk.

I know. I wasn't implying that.

Gadzooks
09-12-2010, 08:38 PM

The Chiefs run game can really kick the **** out of them.

The Chargers 3 NTs are worth at least a shit. They have a fine rotation on the DL. The run D was much improved in the preseason. We'll see how the combo of Charles and Thomas fairs. It may look somthing like this for them :banghead:

milkman
09-12-2010, 08:39 PM

but in the real world,

it will take great schemes by our new coordinators

Today was weird, but I'm pretty sure that no actual miracles occurred.

Ugly Duck
09-12-2010, 09:56 PM
Today was weird, but I'm pretty sure that no actual miracles occurred.

I dunno... The Colts, Cowboys, Vikings and Bengals, all teams that were media darlings in the off season and were locks for playoff spots, lost today. Bolts losing would just be following suit. Up is down, down is up - its a miracle!

milkman
09-12-2010, 09:59 PM
I dunno... The Colts, Cowboys, Vikings and Bengals, all teams that were media darlings in the off season and were locks for playoff spots, lost today. Bolts losing would just be following suit. Up is down, down is up - its a miracle!

Nothing miraculous about media types being wrong.

Being right?
Now that would be a miracle.

Frankie
09-12-2010, 10:01 PM
THE CHIEFS BETTER PRESENT A GOOD ACCOUNT OF THEMSELVES TOMORROW NIGHT. I'M DRIVING ALL THE WAY TO IOWA CITY TOMORROW AFTERNOON TO WATCH MNF WITH MY SON!!!!

AND YES I'M SHOUTING. I WANNA GET THEIR EFFING ATTENTION!!!

Rain Man
09-12-2010, 11:01 PM
It's been a long time since we've been in the race this late in the season.

CupidStunt
09-13-2010, 12:12 AM
It's been a long time since we've been in the race this late in the season.

ROFLROFLROFL

bigbucks24
09-13-2010, 12:22 AM
quite possibly, but i hope Matthews has a CJ Spiller type performance:evil:

Then you had better hope that the Chiefs D has a Dolphin D type performance.

chiefzilla1501
09-13-2010, 12:33 AM
ROFL

I didn't say he was going to shut Gates down. Just said he'd limit Gates. DJ and Berry are going to be the most important two guys when it comes to stopping him. And actually, from a coverage perspective, DJ is fine and Berry is exceptional. It's more than possible we can keep Gates below 100 yards.

BossChief
09-13-2010, 12:53 AM
DJ + Berry should limit Gates
Our corners should be able to win their individual matchups against their receivers.
We should be able to bring a lot of run blitzes and limit their running game, but give up a couple 20-30 yard runs.

If Hali/Studebaker are playing at high levels we should have a chance at taking the ball away just enough to keep the game close till the end.

If Cassel has a decent game, we can win this one.

Too bad reality will kick in.

KC Tattoo
09-13-2010, 01:07 AM
I didn't say he was going to shut Gates down. Just said he'd limit Gates. DJ and Berry are going to be the most important two guys when it comes to stopping him. And actually, from a coverage perspective, DJ is fine and Berry is exceptional. It's more than possible we can keep Gates below 100 yards.

Speaking of TEnds Toney Gozalez, cought his 1000nth reception yesterday. Sweet for him and congratulations. HOF TE keeps on padding his stats, & he is the first TE in NFL history to catch 1000. Gates is on the same path but hopefully we shut him down this game. We got to shut him down, or at least hold him to a few catches that don't break our backs.