PDA

View Full Version : Computers COMPUTER TECHIES: PLEASE HELP!

Short Leash Hootie
09-12-2010, 09:26 PM
Ok...

So I have a 42" Plasma TV...

I have a computer with a VGA input...

I want to use my plasma as my computer monitor...

so I bought a VGA:DVI converter...and then an HDMI:DVI cable...

and the RCA 3.5 mm stereo plugs...

I have everything connected...

doesn't seem to be working...

is this even possible to work anyways?

can I get a VGA computer (even with all of the DVI conversions I have done) to display on a plasma TV?

am I wasting my time?

Fritz88
09-12-2010, 09:29 PM
What OS do you have?

Go right click on you desktop then properties and play with screen settings. This is if you have windows
Posted via Mobile Device

Short Leash Hootie
09-12-2010, 09:31 PM
I'm not getting any signal...

I don't know if my cords are bad...

or if a VGA can't be converted to DVI even with a VGA to DVI converter hub...

DaFace
09-12-2010, 09:34 PM
No clue on all those conversions. I'm surprised your TV doesn't have a VGA input.

petegz28
09-12-2010, 09:40 PM
First, did you change the input on your TV to the ones you are connect to witht he computer?

Second, go into your display settings and see if another display is showing up?

Third, is this a laptop or desktop? If it is a laptop you have to hit one of the FKeys to tell it to send the signal out to a monitor.

Short Leash Hootie
09-12-2010, 09:41 PM
No clue on all those conversions. I'm surprised your TV doesn't have a VGA input.

It doesn't :(

googlegoogle
09-12-2010, 09:41 PM
http://www.howtodothings.com/electronics/a3543-how-to-use-your-tv-as-a-computer-monitor.html

googlegoogle
09-12-2010, 09:42 PM
http://www.techlore.com/article/10061/How-To-Connect-a-Computer-To-Your-TV/

petegz28
09-12-2010, 09:42 PM
It doesn't :(

How exactly are you connected to the tv from the computer? VGA out to a DVI converter?

Short Leash Hootie
09-12-2010, 09:43 PM
First, did you change the input on your TV to the ones you are connect to witht he computer?

Second, go into your display settings and see if another display is showing up?

Third, is this a laptop or desktop? If it is a laptop you have to hit one of the FKeys to tell it to send the signal out to a monitor.

yes yes and yes

desktop

I have a VGA to DVI adapter...plugged in to my VGA on my desktop...from that I have the DVI to HDMI cord from the computer to my HDMI/2 DVI port...

exactly how the manual tells me to do it...

but can I even convert VGA to DVI that way anyways?

if this doesn't work I'm just going to sell my damn computer....

DaFace
09-12-2010, 09:44 PM
http://www.howtodothings.com/electronics/a3543-how-to-use-your-tv-as-a-computer-monitor.html

http://www.techlore.com/article/10061/How-To-Connect-a-Computer-To-Your-TV/

I'll give you credit - you live up to your name. You have a knack for googling people's questions and pasting results that don't really help to answer the question.

petegz28
09-12-2010, 09:45 PM
yes yes and yes

desktop

I have a VGA to DVI adapter...plugged in to my VGA on my desktop...from that I have the DVI to HDMI cord from the computer to my HDMI/2 DVI port...

exactly how the manual tells me to do it...

but can I even convert VGA to DVI that way anyways?

if this doesn't work I'm just going to sell my damn computer....

Yes you can covert VGA to DVI. I use those adapters on one of my computers. There may be an issue however going DVI to HDMI. Do you not have a DVI input on your TV?

DaFace
09-12-2010, 09:45 PM
Sounds like you've already tried, but like others, the main suggestion I would have is screwing with your display settings. My brother's laptop won't work with his TV unless you actually turn off the laptop display and set the resolution to exactly what the TV's resolution is supposed to be. It's a little weird.

petegz28
09-12-2010, 09:46 PM
Also, what is the make and model of your TV?

Short Leash Hootie
09-12-2010, 09:47 PM
this is what I'm using:

DVI-F to VGA-M Adapter

Eforcity Black 6FT /2 Meter HDMI Male to DVI Male Cable

petegz28
09-12-2010, 09:48 PM
this is what I'm using:

DVI-F to VGA-M Adapter

Eforcity Black 6FT /2 Meter HDMI Male to DVI Male Cable

And yout TV is the only monitor connected to your computer?

Short Leash Hootie
09-12-2010, 09:49 PM
It's an Insignia 42" Plasma TV NS-P42Q-10A

I have followed the instructions in the manual...

I have the cord from my computer connected to my HDMI/DVI port on my TV...

I just can't get a signal...

and it's a desktop...so I can't exactly look at the computer because I sold my computer monitor...as I was intending on using this TV as my new monitor...right now I'm posting from my laptop...

Short Leash Hootie
09-12-2010, 09:50 PM
And yout TV is the only monitor connected to your computer?

yes I sold my 19" samsung monitor on craigslist as my new apartment I have too small of a room for a huge TV and a computer monitor

googlegoogle
09-12-2010, 09:53 PM
http://www.techlore.com/article/10061/How-To-Connect-a-Computer-To-Your-TV/?textpage=3

follow the instructions here. pretty thorough on settings. sounds fussy.,

petegz28
09-12-2010, 09:53 PM
Ok, dumb question but you have the TV on before you turn on the computer, correct?

Short Leash Hootie
09-12-2010, 09:55 PM
Ok, dumb question but you have the TV on before you turn on the computer, correct?

yeah I plugged it all in while I was watching SNF...and then I turned my computer on to check it out to see if it worked.

petegz28
09-12-2010, 09:56 PM
yeah I plugged it all in while I was watching SNF...and then I turned my computer on to check it out to see if it worked.

And you selected the HDMI/2 input from your remote control? I know I am repeating myself but just double checking

Short Leash Hootie
09-12-2010, 09:57 PM
http://www.techlore.com/article/10061/How-To-Connect-a-Computer-To-Your-TV/?textpage=3

follow the instructions here. pretty thorough on settings. sounds fussy.,

ah...

this is a good link...

so we're thinking I have to use a computer monitor to adjust the settings before I will start getting picture...

damn...

Short Leash Hootie
09-12-2010, 09:57 PM
And you selected the HDMI/2 input from your remote control? I know I am repeating myself but just double checking

yep

I bet googlegoogle is right...

I probably have to go adjust my settings using a separate computer monitor...

damnit

petegz28
09-12-2010, 09:58 PM
yep

I bet googlegoogle is right...

I probably have to go adjust my settings using a separate computer monitor...

damnit

When you select HDMI/2 does the TV show "No Signal" on the screen?

petegz28
09-12-2010, 09:59 PM
FTR, my Insignia TV has a VGA input on it. Did you just buy this TV?

RustShack
09-12-2010, 10:00 PM
I think I had to dick with my monitor settings on my laptop.. but I also use a VGA cable.

Short Leash Hootie
09-12-2010, 10:01 PM
When you select HDMI/2 does the TV show "No Signal" on the screen?

yes

Short Leash Hootie
09-12-2010, 10:01 PM
FTR, my Insignia TV has a VGA input on it. Did you just buy this TV?

no and it doesn't have VGA...I'm not that big of a retard...

I bought it a year ago at Best Buy for $530...

not the nicest TV...but it does the trick for me and has been reliable

just doesn't have all the goodies a more expensive plasma has

RustShack
09-12-2010, 10:03 PM
Buying Plasma was your first mistake.

Short Leash Hootie
09-12-2010, 10:04 PM
Buying Plasma was your first mistake.

k thanks dont care

not what i'm asking

petegz28
09-12-2010, 10:04 PM
no and it doesn't have VGA...I'm not that big of a retard...

I bought it a year ago at Best Buy for $530...

not the nicest TV...but it does the trick for me and has been reliable

just doesn't have all the goodies a more expensive plasma has

What kind of computer does it have? And I know your tv doesn't have a VGA input. I wasn't implying you overlooked it.

petegz28
09-12-2010, 10:05 PM
Also, does your laptop have a video out on it? S-video, VGA or HDMI at all?

Short Leash Hootie
09-12-2010, 10:05 PM
What kind of computer does it have? And I know your tv doesn't have a VGA input. I wasn't implying you overlooked it.

it's a dell dimension c521...

the vga to dvi hub converter thing is kind of janky...i'm almost concerned it doesn't work...

but my TV shows something IS plugged into HDMI2/DVI...it lets me switch over and when something isn't plugged it (like when my xbox is off)...it won't

Short Leash Hootie
09-12-2010, 10:06 PM
Also, does your laptop have a video out on it? S-video, VGA or HDMI at all?
my laptop has a vga plug in but I don't have a vga cord anymore lol

petegz28
09-12-2010, 10:07 PM
it's a dell dimension c521...

the vga to dvi hub converter thing is kind of janky...i'm almost concerned it doesn't work...

but my TV shows something IS plugged into HDMI2/DVI...it lets me switch over and when something isn't plugged it (like when my xbox is off)...it won't

Ok, that's a start. But does it say No Signal on the screen? I know when I had a flakey U-Verse box plugged into my HDMI I wasn't getting a picture and the screen said No Signal.

petegz28
09-12-2010, 10:08 PM
my laptop has a vga plug in but I don't have a vga cord anymore lol

Use the cords you are using for your computer. Plug the DVI-VGA adapter on it then connect to your HDMI.

Short Leash Hootie
09-12-2010, 10:08 PM
Ok, that's a start. But does it say No Signal on the screen? I know when I had a flakey U-Verse box plugged into my HDMI I wasn't getting a picture and the screen said No Signal.

yep...says no signal

Short Leash Hootie
09-12-2010, 10:09 PM
Use the cords you are using for your computer. Plug the DVI-VGA adapter on it then connect to your HDMI.

and then see if my laptop will show up on my TV, right?

petegz28
09-12-2010, 10:11 PM
and then see if my laptop will show up on my TV, right?

Exactly. Remember you more than likely have to use and FKEY to get the video to go out to the VGA output. And pay attention when you do it. My laptop has several settings, laptop AND TV, TV ONLY, etc.

petegz28
09-12-2010, 10:14 PM
I am not sure how old your computer is but the more I think about it the more I am wondering if you either have a bad adapter, unlikely or if the computer is just not detecting the display?

RustShack
09-12-2010, 10:15 PM
http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=104&cp_id=10419&cs_id=1041903&p_id=2396&seq=1&format=2

RustShack
09-12-2010, 10:17 PM
http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=104&cp_id=10419&cs_id=1041903&p_id=2396&seq=1&format=2

Nevermind this wont work.

petegz28
09-12-2010, 10:18 PM
yep...says no signal

Ok, if it says no signal then more than likely the issue is on the computer end and not the TV

RustShack
09-12-2010, 10:18 PM
This one?

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10235&cs_id=1023503&p_id=2170&seq=1&format=2

petegz28
09-12-2010, 10:22 PM
Not that this helps but Dell claims there is a DVI output on your computer. I am sure you just got one that doesn't have it.

petegz28
09-12-2010, 10:27 PM
I think I finded your issue. If you are running just a VGA-DVI adapter it isn't converting the analog VGA signal to Digital. You may need a VGA-DVI converter as opposed to an adapter.

http://www.datapro.net/products/vga-to-dvi-d-analog-digital-convertor.html

petegz28
09-12-2010, 10:30 PM
The more I read, cause I have never ran across this issue, the more I am convinced the problem is you are putting out an analog VGA signal from your PC and it is not getting converted to digital anywhere which is what HDMI is.

petegz28
09-12-2010, 10:35 PM
Of course now that I re-read your OP you said you bought a converter. Is it a VGA-DVI converter or adapter?

This would all easily be solved, more than likely if you bought a video card that has a DVI out. The problem is you need to be very careful about what you buy because your computer has a very, very weak power supply at 280W. So more than likely it would have to be an ATI card which is what Dell seems to say is optional in your computer. This will ensure you are pumping out a digital signal and you can take the converter back if that is what you have. If you did buy a converter you can always try taking it back and exchanging it for a new one to make sure that isn't the problem. Something is not converting the signal over to digital, apparently.

Short Leash Hootie
09-12-2010, 10:35 PM
The more I read, cause I have never ran across this issue, the more I am convinced the problem is you are putting out an analog VGA signal from your PC and it is not getting converted to digital anywhere which is what HDMI is.

damn that fucking sucks...

I have wasted too much freaking money on these damn cords...

Short Leash Hootie
09-12-2010, 10:39 PM
Of course now that I re-read your OP you said you bought a converter. Is it a VGA-DVI converter or adapter?

This would all easily be solved, more than likely if you bought a video card that has a DVI out. The problem is you need to be very careful about what you buy because your computer has a very, very weak power supply at 280W. So more than likely it would have to be an ATI card which is what Dell seems to say is optional in your computer. This will ensure you are pumping out a digital signal and you can take the converter back if that is what you have. If you did buy a converter you can always try taking it back and exchanging it for a new one to make sure that isn't the problem. Something is not converting the signal over to digital, apparently.

adapter

but what the fuck is the point of an adapter if it doesn't convert...

I mean really

Short Leash Hootie
09-12-2010, 10:41 PM
this is frustrating.

Short Leash Hootie
09-12-2010, 10:42 PM
here is the product description of what I bought:

Convert your PC\'s VGA output single onto a DVI enhanced LCD flat panel display today with this DVI -F to VGA -M adapter. This adapter converts VGA analog video card to a DVI receptacle. Performance-High Speed Digital Data Transmission delivers the signal faster and stronger. Thumbscrews and barrel nuts make installation a breeze. Full Undermold shield helps meet FCC requirements on EMI/RFI interference. Compare this high quality adapter with Belkin Features Compatible with all VGA video cards Connectors: 15 pin VGA connector, male DVI (Digital Visual Interface) connector, female

petegz28
09-12-2010, 10:43 PM
adapter

but what the **** is the point of an adapter if it doesn't convert...

I mean really

Ok, that is your problem, more than likely. An adapter doesn't covert, it just adapts. For instance I have to use one on a computer that has DVI out but the monitor only has VGA in. There is not signal coversion. You are putting out an analog signal from your VGA out whereas I am putting out a digital. I don't know how much the converters cost? You might be better off buying a video card but again, make sure to check the minimum power requirements. ATI cards take far less power than nVidia. In fact I don't think you can run an nVidia with anything under 400w.

petegz28
09-12-2010, 10:44 PM
here is the product description of what I bought:

Convert your PC\'s VGA output single onto a DVI enhanced LCD flat panel display today with this DVI -F to VGA -M adapter. This adapter converts VGA analog video card to a DVI receptacle. Performance-High Speed Digital Data Transmission delivers the signal faster and stronger. Thumbscrews and barrel nuts make installation a breeze. Full Undermold shield helps meet FCC requirements on EMI/RFI interference. Compare this high quality adapter with Belkin Features Compatible with all VGA video cards Connectors: 15 pin VGA connector, male DVI (Digital Visual Interface) connector, female

See, it just converts the connection, not the signal.

Short Leash Hootie
09-12-2010, 10:47 PM
damn...

glad I wasted all this freaking money on this shit...buying the wrong cords...wrong shit...

ANNOYING

I don't know how I was supposed to understand that bolded part...

to me it reads it'll convert my VGA video card (on my computer) to DVI on my TV...

seriously

I still think that's what it's supposed to do.

I don't get it.

petegz28
09-12-2010, 10:50 PM
From wha tI have seen, Meat, you are better off buying a new video card. It will be much cheaper than trying to buy a converter. Just do a little research on ATI cards and get a cheap one that can run on your power supply.

Short Leash Hootie
09-12-2010, 10:52 PM
From wha tI have seen, Meat, you are better off buying a new video card. It will be much cheaper than trying to buy a converter. Just do a little research on ATI cards and get a cheap one that can run on your power supply.

are they easy to install?

will you steer me in the right direction?

I'll look on newegg...but which one do I want? Do you have time to find me a cheap one via link?

I just don't know jack about video cards.

petegz28
09-12-2010, 10:55 PM
damn...

glad I wasted all this freaking money on this shit...buying the wrong cords...wrong shit...

ANNOYING

I don't know how I was supposed to understand that bolded part...

to me it reads it'll convert my VGA video card (on my computer) to DVI on my TV...

seriously

I still think that's what it's supposed to do.

I don't get it.

Well part of the problem is you are not running a video card, you are running on-board video which is the most basic and more than likely 100% analog. The adapter just converts the connection port, not the signal. As I said in my case one of my monitors only has a VGA input. So I had to buy an adapter to covert the connection type from DVI to VGA. The signal coming out of my computer is digital not analog. You need to have a digital source. The cheap adapters are not going to convert that signal.

You will still need the DVI to HDMI cable for your TV so that is not wasted money. I know it sucks ass to be in that situation but look at all the useless information you have learned!!! :D Take back the stuff you don't need, buy am ATI video card that will work on your computer and since you don't have a monitor, either find someone who has one or fork over the money for Geek Squad to put it in. You will be much happier with that setup anyway. And this way you will have a digital signal coming out of your computer. If it still doesn't work then you have bigger problems.

petegz28
09-12-2010, 10:57 PM
are they easy to install?

will you steer me in the right direction?

I'll look on newegg...but which one do I want? Do you have time to find me a cheap one via link?

I just don't know jack about video cards.

I tell you what, I have to get to bed but I will look for you tomorrow and see what I can find. In the meantime you can Google stuff. Just go here http://www.amd.com/us/Pages/AMDHomePage.aspx and check stuff out. Make sure you check the minimum power requirements. Video cards are easy to install just make sure you get the right one for your computer as far as the PCI format.

Short Leash Hootie
09-12-2010, 11:06 PM
I tell you what, I have to get to bed but I will look for you tomorrow and see what I can find. In the meantime you can Google stuff. Just go here http://www.amd.com/us/Pages/AMDHomePage.aspx and check stuff out. Make sure you check the minimum power requirements. Video cards are easy to install just make sure you get the right one for your computer as far as the PCI format.

thanks man

petegz28
09-12-2010, 11:15 PM
thanks man

To be honest with you, meat, I can really only find 2 cards that would work for you. One is an ATI Raedon X3100 pro and the other is an nvidia 8600 GT.

You can read here http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/249377-28-upgrade-dell-c521. I would go with the ATI just because I know they take less power. Or you can always call Dell and ask them how much the video card would be that they put in your computers and ask them what it is then see if you can find it cheaper.

Or, I know you already stated why you don't want to do this, you can always go buy a monitor.

I would actually look into either selling the computer and go buy one a little more powered and built for what you are trying to do, because what you have isn't, or see about upgrading your power supply so you can get a decent card. The problem is you have a low profile case and they are hard to upgrade when it comes to power supplies. The link I gave you mentions a power supply a person bought and worked in your case.