PDA

View Full Version : Economics $800K of stimulus goes to study African men washing their pee-pee's

mlyonsd
09-15-2010, 06:23 PM
Feds Spent $800,000 of Economic Stimulus on African Genital-Washing Program
<!-- END .article-info -->Monday, September 13, 2010
By Matt Cover (http://cnsnews.com/source/73645)

(CNSNews.com) – The National Institute of Mental Health (NIMH), a division of the National Institutes of Health (NIH), spent $823,200 of economic stimulus funds in 2009 on a study by a UCLA research team to teach uncircumcised African men how to wash their genitals after having sex.

The genitalia-washing program is part of a larger $12-million UCLA study examining how to better encourage Africans to undergo voluntary HIV testing and counseling – however, only the penis-washing study received money from the 2009 economic stimulus law. The washing portion of the study is set to end in 2011.

“NIH Announces the Availability of Recovery Act Funds for Competitive Revision Applications,” the grant abstract states. “We propose to evaluate the feasibility of a post-coital genital hygiene study among men unwilling to be circumcised in Orange Farm, South Africa.”

Because AIDS researchers have been unsuccessful in convincing most adult African men to undergo circumcision, the UCLA study proposes to determine whether researchers can develop an after-sex genitalia-washing regimen that they can then convince uncircumcised African men to follow.

“The aim of the proposed feasibility study is to evaluate the feasibility and acceptability of a post-coital male genital hygiene procedure, which participants will be asked to practice immediately post-coitus or at least 12 hours after,” reads the abstract.

Entitled “Community-Based HIV VCT: South Africa,” the name of the broader umbrella project, the program plans to test how well received the penis-washing regimen is among South African men.

If most of the men in the study wash their genitals after sex, are willing to do so after the study ends, and report that their partners accept the regimen, the researchers will develop another study to see if the “penile cleansing procedure” actually works to prevent HIV infections.

“If we find that men are able to practice consistent washing practices after sex, we will plan to test whether this might protect men from becoming HIV infected in a later study,” the grant says.

The study’s lead investigator Dr. Thomas J. Coates was the fourth highest-funded researcher in the country in 2002 and is currently conducting HIV research on three continents.

CNSNews.com asked both Coates and NIMH the following question: “The Census Bureau says the median household income in the United States is $52,000. How would you explain to the average American mom and dad -- who make $52,000 per year -- that taxing them to pay for this grant was justified?”

Coates, who was unavailable for comment, directed CNSNews.com to ask grant-related questions of his assistant, Darya Freedman, who did not respond.

The NIMH also declined to respond to CNSNews.com’s question.
http://cnsnews.com/news/article/75198

Seriously, you can't make this chit up.

ClevelandBronco
09-15-2010, 06:28 PM
How would you explain to the average American mom and dad -- who make $52,000 per year -- that taxing them to pay for this grant was justified?

Fuggedaboudit. They ain't taxing us for this one. They put it on the credit card.

Taco John
09-15-2010, 06:35 PM
Darwin takes care of this service for free.

vailpass
09-15-2010, 06:52 PM
How much cheaper would it be to build a giantic aids containment wall with them all on the inside?

Bwana
09-15-2010, 08:50 PM
Hope and change!

go bowe
09-15-2010, 08:56 PM
How much cheaper would it be to build a giantic aids containment wall with them all on the inside?that horse has already left the giantic barn...

WV
09-15-2010, 08:58 PM
Wow....just WOW.

Velvet_Jones
09-15-2010, 09:00 PM
I think if we gave a Crocodile Dundee knife to Lorena Bobbit and told her those colored boys have been mean to their wives and gave her a $2 per pee pee redemption we wouldn't need a study.

Taco John
09-15-2010, 09:14 PM
Speaking on this practically, I wonder how many jobs they created with that $800k. I mean, I can pretend to give them the benefit of a doubt here that this program will create jobs, and that's what the stimulus bill is about. I wonder how many people will be taking home paychecks thanks to this program.

Rain Man
09-15-2010, 10:13 PM
Not to deflect the discussion of public funds, but I figured most African men were circumcised. You read occasionally about their manhood rituals where they describe something that sure sounds like circumcision, but maybe that's only a small number of tribes or something.

And with that, you'll never read another post from me about African men's penises.

Bewbies
09-15-2010, 10:56 PM
I like that we think someone else doesn't know how to clean his own pecker. And like soap is a great AIDS virus killer.

fan4ever
09-15-2010, 11:25 PM
This smacks of something Michelle would like to "spear head".

googlegoogle
09-16-2010, 04:56 AM
researchers=thats how they gravy train.

Cave Johnson
09-16-2010, 11:15 AM
This smacks of something Michelle would like to "spear head".

Future historians will look to posts 1-5, 7-9 and 11-13 of this thread as emblematic of why America stopped being great. The government funds a modest basic research project (that the free market can't do) attempting to address a humanitarian issue, and the consensus view is, and I'm going to put this charitably, isolationism.

Also,

vailpass
09-16-2010, 11:21 AM
Future historians will look to posts 2-9 and 11-13 of this thread as emblematic of why America stopped being great. The government funds a modest basic research project (that the free market can't do) attempting to address a humanitarian issue, and the consensus view is, and I'm going to put this charitably, isolationism.

Also,

Yes, Americans should be happy we are spending almost a million dollars to study how some savages in another country should wash their cocks when our own citizens are losing their homes and the poverty level is at an all time high.

But by all means view this as another buzzword issue instead of seeing it as an expression of the overall frustration of the American people at the mind-boggling amount of money wasted by the govt. on stimulus programs that do not help them.

Cave Johnson
09-16-2010, 11:26 AM
Yes, Americans should be happy we are spending almost a million dollars to study how some savages in another country should wash their cocks when our own citizens are losing their homes and the poverty level is at an all time high.

But by all means view this as another buzzword issue instead of seeing it as an expression of the overall frustration of the American people at the mind-boggling amount of money wasted by the govt. on stimulus programs that do not help them.

I get it. African lives are worthless, so any funding designed to save them is a waste.

I'm not the one that made this an issue. When your side calls for dismantling the military/industrial complex, get back with me. Otherwise, this is just petty bitching.

Cave Johnson
09-16-2010, 11:30 AM
I bet CNSNews, whomever that is, thought they had a real gotcha question:

"CNSNews.com asked both Coates and NIMH the following question: “The Census Bureau says the median household income in the United States is $52,000. How would you explain to the average American mom and dad -- who make $52,000 per year -- that taxing them to pay for this grant was justified?”

chiefsnorth
09-16-2010, 11:33 AM
Why should on red cent of our tax dollars go to this even in the best economic times?

chiefsnorth
09-16-2010, 11:36 AM
Future historians will look to posts 1-5, 7-9 and 11-13 of this thread as emblematic of why America stopped being great. The government funds a modest basic research project (that the free market can't do) attempting to address a humanitarian issue, and the consensus view is, and I'm going to put this charitably, isolationism.

Also,

Did the founding fathers think we should implement an income tax to help manage public health issues among the lower class in darkest Africa? That's news to me.

Cave Johnson
09-16-2010, 11:45 AM
Why should on red cent of our tax dollars go to this even in the best economic times?

Why don't we commit infanticide on defective children?

Cave Johnson
09-16-2010, 11:50 AM
Oh, and mylon, if you use the word pee-pee instead of penis, you're probably not mature enough to be discussing this subject.

vailpass
09-16-2010, 11:59 AM
I get it. African lives are worthless, so any funding designed to save them is a waste.

I'm not the one that made this an issue. When your side calls for dismantling the military/industrial complex, get back with me. Otherwise, this is just petty bitching.

Nothing about what you just said here resembles anything close to a cogent point or rational thought. Does this post come with a decoder ring?

Mr. Kotter
09-16-2010, 12:09 PM
Nothing about what you just said here resembles anything close to a cogent point or rational thought. Does this post come with a decoder ring?

You must hate blacks!!! [/PittGorilla]

"That's racist!!!" :cuss:

Brock
09-16-2010, 12:11 PM
"skin it back"

"smile at it, it'll skin itself back"

vailpass
09-16-2010, 12:17 PM
"skin it back"

"smile at it, it'll skin itself back"

WTF does that mean??

chiefsnorth
09-16-2010, 12:21 PM
Why don't we commit infanticide on defective children?

What does that have to do with this?

Why should money be taken from our taxes by our government to manage some other country's public health education problems?

vailpass
09-16-2010, 12:25 PM

Why should money be taken from our taxes by our government to manage some other country's public health education problems?

Is that why you hate one-legged mexicans?

chiefsnorth
09-16-2010, 12:30 PM
Is that why you hate one-legged mexicans?

Maybe we should be buying all one-leggers in the world a prosthesis? Is it tantamount to killing babies if we don't?

Brock
09-16-2010, 12:33 PM
WTF does that mean??

Just padding my post count, but my father in law told me this story about when he went into basic training back in the 60s, they lined everybody up with their johnson hanging out to check for stds or whatever. My uncle was standing next to a black dude who was uncircumsized and when they got to him, they told him "skin it back". He replied "smile at it, it'll skin itself back". They beat the shit out of him.

ROYC75
09-16-2010, 12:42 PM

Also,

Let South Africa fund it's own problem.

blaise
09-16-2010, 12:43 PM
This was supposed to be the secret of NIMH.

vailpass
09-16-2010, 12:52 PM
Just padding my post count, but my father in law told me this story about when he went into basic training back in the 60s, they lined everybody up with their johnson hanging out to check for stds or whatever. My uncle was standing next to a black dude who was uncircumsized and when they got to him, they told him "skin it back". He replied "smile at it, it'll skin itself back". They beat the shit out of him.

ROFL

That is hilarious and disgusting all at the same time.

Radar Chief
09-16-2010, 01:18 PM
ROFL

That is hilarious and disgusting all at the same time.

That’s Basic Training.
Never had it happen to me but our Drill Sergeants threatened to check everyone’s butthole to make sure we were showing.
They used to call us “goat smelling privates” and I didn't really understand it until I was in AIT at the gym after class and a company of Basic privates came in smelling like a herd of goats.

vailpass
09-16-2010, 01:22 PM
That’s Basic Training.
Never had it happen to me but our Drill Sergeants threatened to check everyone’s butthole to make sure we were showing.
They used to call us “goat smelling privates” and I didn't really understand it until I was in AIT at the gym after class and a company of Basic privates came in smelling like a herd of goats.

Why did they smell like goats?

Radar Chief
09-16-2010, 01:24 PM
Why did they smell like goats?

They wake your ass up at the butt crack of dawn then spend the rest of the day trying to run it into the ground. Anyone would smell like a goat at the end of that day.

Rain Man
09-16-2010, 01:27 PM
That's a more innocent explanation than I was fearing.

And I'm still trying to figure out what you were supposed to be showing that could be resolved by an anal check. I hope there's an innocent explanation there, too.

vailpass
09-16-2010, 01:28 PM
They wake your ass up at the butt crack of dawn then spend the rest of the day trying to run it into the ground. Anyone would smell like a goat at the end of that day.

:D I was taking you literally, thought it had something to do with Men Who Stare at Goats.

Cave Johnson
09-16-2010, 01:33 PM

Try reading slower and making a couple inferences.

Radar Chief
09-16-2010, 01:37 PM
That's a more innocent explanation than I was fearing.

And I'm still trying to figure out what you were supposed to be showing that could be resolved by an anal check. I hope there's an innocent explanation there, too.

I don’t even know but the threat was enough to get a couple of non-bathing nasty asses to taking a damn shower.

Cave Johnson
09-16-2010, 01:41 PM

Are you familiar with the concept of soft power? It's why we donate resources to hurricane victims in Haiti and typhoon victims in Myanmar.

That and the whole basic human decency thing.

InChiefsHell
09-16-2010, 01:45 PM
Are you familiar with the concept of soft power? It's why we donate resources to hurricane victims in Haiti and typhoon victims in Myanmar.

That and the whole basic human decency thing.

I think the biggest bitch is that this came out of the stimulus fund. One would think we had a fund already for this kind of shit. It's another example of the government spending like a bunch of assholes and not being honest about what they are spending on and why. This is hardly stimulus to create jobs and "get America running again". Just sayin.

mlyonsd
09-16-2010, 01:51 PM
I think the biggest bitch is that this came out of the stimulus fund. One would think we had a fund already for this kind of shit. It's another example of the government spending like a bunch of assholes and not being honest about what they are spending on and why. This is hardly stimulus to create jobs and "get America running again". Just sayin.

Bingo. Somebody gets it.

Cave Johnson
09-16-2010, 01:51 PM

Didn't get that from the OP/article.

It's arguable, but I think it's safe to say he had to hire a researcher or three to conduct the study.

blaise
09-16-2010, 01:59 PM

It's arguable, but I think it's safe to say he had to hire a researcher or three to conduct the study.

Well, as long as we're putting two or three researchers to work

Chief Henry
09-16-2010, 02:09 PM

By George, I think you are on to something here with this take. But some one on here will think you are the Grand Wizzard of the Chiefs Planet KKK organization.

TrebMaxx
09-16-2010, 02:18 PM
Ah, I see, so Obama is uncircumcised!

Bewbies
09-16-2010, 02:18 PM
Quick, we have to pass this quickly so that both these guys will have clean peckers and unemployment won't go above 8.5%!!

InChiefsHell
09-16-2010, 03:16 PM
By George, I think you are on to something here with this take. But some one on here will think you are the Grand Wizzard of the Chiefs Planet KKK organization.

It's the hood isn't it? I get that all the damn time...:D

InChiefsHell
09-16-2010, 03:21 PM

Without arguing the merits of whether or not we should be spending money on this kind of thing, the grander point is that it came from the Stimulus package. If a researcher or three conducting the study costs almost a million dollars, surely you can see again why most of us rail against government spending. Because it's done stupidly for stupid things. In this case, it was not even done for the reason they said it would be...economic stimulus. Surely, any of us could think of many ways to get more bang for 800k than hiring a couple of researchers.

Cave Johnson
09-16-2010, 03:26 PM

The disingenuousness of this is off the charts. Show me one place where you've called for anti-poverty spending. I always get the Hobbesian, social darwinism vibe.

Cave Johnson
09-16-2010, 03:30 PM
Without arguing the merits of whether or not we should be spending money on this kind of thing, the grander point is that it came from the Stimulus package. If a researcher or three conducting the study costs almost a million dollars, surely you can see again why most of us rail against government spending. Because it's done stupidly for stupid things. In this case, it was not even done for the reason they said it would be...economic stimulus. Surely, any of us could think of many ways to get more bang for 800k than hiring a couple of researchers.

The merits are completely relevant. As long as it's a) a worthwhile project with some potential societal benefit and b) creates jobs, I don't see the problem with where the funding came from. The calculus on this is: jobs + chance to save thousand of African lives.

The gf just got an offer yesterday to work in an STD research grant project. These projects do create jobs.

Cave Johnson
09-16-2010, 03:34 PM

Why would anyone think a reference to spears/blacks is racist? Nothing racist about this either...

Inspector
09-16-2010, 03:46 PM
If I'm to help my neighbor repair his house, I need to ensure mine isn't falling down around me first.

Our country is in shambles. In order to serve our neighbors better, lets get ours fixed first.

Thanks to my grandparents for good old common sense.

mlyonsd
09-16-2010, 03:48 PM
The merits are completely relevant. As long as it's a) a worthwhile project with some potential societal benefit and b) creates jobs, I don't see the problem with where the funding came from. The calculus on this is: jobs + chance to save thousand of African lives.

The gf just got an offer yesterday to work in an STD research grant project. These projects do create jobs.

The calculus is: borrowed money used for ridiculous projects like this should be exposed so the rest of the public see's them for what they are.

ClevelandBronco
09-16-2010, 03:49 PM

You're right. White people are secretly worried that this won't leave enough money to study Swedish schlong hygiene. How did you figure it out?

Cave Johnson
09-16-2010, 03:50 PM
The calculus is: borrowed money used for ridiculous projects like this should be exposed so the rest of the public see's them for what they are.

This may come as a shock to you, but not all of the "rest of the public" views African lives as worthless.

ROYC75
09-16-2010, 03:50 PM
If I'm to help my neighbor repair his house, I need to ensure mine isn't falling down around me first.

Our country is in shambles. In order to serve our neighbors better, lets get ours fixed first.

Thanks to my grandparents for good old common sense.

Pittsie knows no common sense, just common cents.Other peoples common cents.

Cave Johnson
09-16-2010, 03:56 PM
Pittsie knows no common sense, just common cents.Other peoples common cents.

I'd prefer we not spend $1T/yr on defense. You'd prefer we don't invest $1M in basic health research which, by the way, conceivably could be applied to Americans.

Glass houses, buddy.

ROYC75
09-16-2010, 04:04 PM
I'd prefer we not spend $1T/yr on defense. You'd prefer we don't invest $1M in basic health research which, by the way, conceivably could be applied to Americans.

Glass houses, buddy.

I'll never complain about what we use to defend our country with. How we use it over seas,yes, I do if that is what you are getting at.

But let South Africa take care of their problem about uncircumcised men in South Africa. FTR, do we have that problem here in the USA?

Trimming the pork in DC has to stop. The days of the fat cats getting what they want are over. Crap, Americans can use that money here worth while.

vailpass
09-16-2010, 04:04 PM
Try reading slower and making a couple inferences.

Try writing in a clear, organized manner so your reader need not guess your meaning.

blaise
09-16-2010, 04:08 PM
What's interesting is the money doesn't even seem to be to see if washing genitals reduces the spread of HIV. The money looks like it's going to just see if they can get people to regularly wash their genitals after sex.

vailpass
09-16-2010, 04:08 PM
The disingenuousness of this is off the charts. Show me one place where you've called for anti-poverty spending. I always get the Hobbesian, social darwinism vibe.

Take the entire quote instead of twisting the context. What I said was Americans are pissed off to see stimulus $ spent on cleaning filthy african cocks instead of it being spent on Americans who are unemployed and losing their homes. I'll quote it for you below so you can work on your reading comprehension if you can find time away from practicing your faux outrage.

Cave Johnson
09-16-2010, 04:12 PM
What's interesting is the money doesn't even seem to be to see if washing genitals reduces the spread of HIV. The money looks like it's going to just see if they can get people to regularly wash their genitals after sex.

I'm no public health expert, but it's probably to see whether a more expensive study to that effect would be feasible.

Cave Johnson
09-16-2010, 04:14 PM
Try writing in a clear, organized manner so your reader need not guess your meaning.

So, you're posting in a political forum and have no concept of the military/industrial concept?

Gotcha. Going forward, I'll assuming you know nothing.

blaise
09-16-2010, 04:19 PM
I'm no public health expert, but it's probably to see whether a more expensive study to that effect would be feasible.

That's what it is. And I'm no expert on the cost of research, but $800,000 to see if you can convince dudes to wash their junk seems like a lot of money. Didn't we put billions of dollars into Africa during Bush's presidency toward fighting AIDS? And that's still where we are, trying to see if dudes can at least be convinced to wash up afterwards? Not wear a condom, even. Just wash up after. That's pretty disheartening.

Cave Johnson
09-16-2010, 04:27 PM
That's what it is. And I'm no expert on the cost of research, but $800,000 to see if you can convince dudes to wash their junk seems like a lot of money. Didn't we put billions of dollars into Africa during Bush's presidency toward fighting AIDS? And that's still where we are, trying to see if dudes can at least be convinced to wash up afterwards? Not wear a condom, even. Just wash up after. That's pretty disheartening.

Yep. It's one of the few things he didn't botch.

In the case of South Africa, the president has/had some pretty unscientifically-supported views on AIDS transmission. His drug policies apparently led to some 330K deaths (per study cited by Wiki). So I guess this is an attempt to dig them out of a misinformation hole.

fan4ever
09-16-2010, 05:06 PM

Also,

Wow; future historians? Really?

Not talking so much about the other posts but I thought mine was just kind of a silly little joke. I really hope people in the future, yourself included, have better things to do than disect goofy little quips like mine. But I'm glad I could help in getting you up on that soap box.

vailpass
09-16-2010, 05:13 PM
So, you're posting in a political forum and have no concept of the military/industrial concept?

Gotcha. Going forward, I'll assuming you know nothing.

1. Are you from the department of redundancy department?:D
2. I'm somewhat familiar with DOD, thank you.

Cave Johnson
09-16-2010, 07:35 PM
Wow; future historians? Really?

Not talking so much about the other posts but I thought mine was just kind of a silly little joke. I really hope people in the future, yourself included, have better things to do than disect goofy little quips like mine. But I'm glad I could help in getting you up on that soap box.

You are familiar with the concept of hyperbole, right?

fan4ever
09-16-2010, 07:54 PM
You are familiar with the concept of hyperbole, right?

Not sure sly means what you think it means. The spear chucker reference was pretty blatant.

Actually "spear head" is what I said...kind of making a sexual double entendre...y'know "head"...I thought it was obvious...and sort of funny if you're not looking to be offended.

...so I guess I'll never be able to hang at any of your PC parties. Damn.

Bwana
09-16-2010, 08:04 PM
Hey, on a side note, after reading this yesterday and knowing my tax dollars went to making sure some guys dick was clean, (dirty dick free zone) I slept easier last night. November 2nd can't come soon enough.

BucEyedPea
09-16-2010, 08:05 PM
Hey, on a side note, after reading this yesterday and knowing my tax dollars went to making sure some guys dick was clean, (dirty dick free zone) I slept easeir last night.

I imagine that would stimulate it. ROFL

fan4ever
09-16-2010, 08:12 PM
Hey, on a side note, after reading this yesterday and knowing my tax dollars went to making sure some guys dick was clean, (dirty dick free zone) I slept easier last night. November 2nd can't come soon enough.

Yeah, that should be a dick cleaning in itself.

Bwana
09-16-2010, 08:18 PM
I imagine that would stimulate it. ROFL

Hey, at least SOMETHING would get stimulated.

Hope and change at its best.

mlyonsd
09-16-2010, 08:35 PM
It is apparent from the responses in this thread the majority of our liberal friends don't want to defend this very much. I'm glad to see sanity at least for a little bit is coming back to this forum.

InChiefsHell
09-16-2010, 09:11 PM

OK. It's a matter of what a "worthwhile project" is, and whether it creates SUSTAINABLE jobs.

Agree to disagree.

Mr. Kotter
09-16-2010, 09:33 PM
Pittsie seems to have a preoccupation about black guys washing their cocks.... :hmmm:

NTTAWWT, I suppose. Just sayin'. Heh. ;)

Inspector
09-17-2010, 07:36 AM
My wife is going to request some of those research dollars after getting mine really good and clean the other day.

fan4ever
09-17-2010, 11:04 AM
My wife is going to request some of those research dollars after getting mine really good and clean the other day.

You're a sexist. (Just wanted to get on the PC bandwagon).

patteeu
09-17-2010, 11:55 AM
The result of the study: It's now racist to call someone a "dirty pecker".

vailpass
09-17-2010, 12:01 PM
Why can't they wipe it off on the curtains when they're done like everybody else?

patteeu
09-17-2010, 12:03 PM

Good grief.

Cave Johnson
09-17-2010, 12:28 PM
Good grief.

I was hungover yesterday. Sue me.

Chief Faithful
09-17-2010, 12:41 PM
Why can't they wipe it off on the curtains when they're done like everybody else?
You could save the curtains if the government can provide an African man to wash your pee-pee. That could create a lot of jobs.

vailpass
09-17-2010, 12:56 PM
You could save the curtains if the government can provide an African man to wash your pee-pee. That could create a lot of jobs.

Piss on 'em.

Rain Man
09-17-2010, 03:36 PM

Dude, that's a pickup line.

Was the offer made at the bar at Applebee's?

Cave Johnson
09-17-2010, 03:38 PM

That would be a pickup line at CrApplebee's....

vailpass
09-17-2010, 03:39 PM

:D

ClevelandBronco
09-17-2010, 04:54 PM
I've made plans to travel to East St. Louis this weekend to hand out moist towelettes and instructions to strangers.

The Mad Crapper
09-17-2010, 05:14 PM
They could have saved all that money and just asked Flunkie, Orange, Banyon, Pittsie, Reaper et al

They have had plenty of experience studying black men's penis's.