PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Chiefs Got Themselves A Defense

crossbow
09-19-2010, 02:46 PM
I realize that their first game was a mud wrestle and the Browns had some key drops that could have beaten our secondary but...

You can see the parts coming together. Players are where they should be. QB pressures actualy exist now - big improvement. The schemes and halftime adjustments are outstanding. The team is definitely faster and smarter. This defense is going to be smothering by years end.

Hopefully the offensive passing attack can improve all the way up to pathetic by years end. Casell sucks but the line has got to do much better in pass protection. If not, then he is just gonna keep looking for Moeake and get him killed.

O.city
09-19-2010, 02:47 PM
The o line played pretty well i thought today. Cassel needs to get the ball out quicker. pressure on the quarterback?

guess i missed that although there was a little i guess.

tk13
09-19-2010, 02:49 PM
We're stopping the run, which is the big thing. 3.3 ypc defensively the first two games. Our pass rush could be better, and our secondary is great but has been good for a couple bad blown coverages a game.

beach tribe
09-19-2010, 02:51 PM
I still think our pass rush is piss poor. Hali needs to stay on the left side, and our biggest need other than QB, is a ROLB/rush backer.

notorious
09-19-2010, 02:51 PM
14 ppg.

That is the only stat the matters.

Take out Berry's mistakes and this team has given up only 14 points total. That is fantastic.

Keep up the good work, defense. We are starting to believe.

ChiefsCountry
09-19-2010, 02:52 PM
We still a stud pass rusher, NT, and MLB. But the improvement is there for sure.

Valiant
09-19-2010, 02:53 PM
Still a work in process, do not put too much expectations on them..

QB pressure and sacks need to get better..
Rookie safeties are rookie safeties..
Good gutsy win against a team they should have beat..

Which is good because years past we lose that game..

Marcellus
09-19-2010, 02:58 PM
We still a stud pass rusher, NT, and MLB. But the improvement is there for sure.

Actually NT play has been good so far this year. Also Hali seems to only get about 1/3rd of the holding calls he should.

grandllama
09-19-2010, 03:00 PM
Actually NT play has been good so far this year. Also Hali seems to only get about 1/3rd of the holding calls he should.

I said it in the game thread... DT and Neil Smith always seemed to still get the job done even when they were being held to an inch of their life. Maybe Neil could come give Tamba some pointers.... (or hold a seance and allow DT's ghost to give the pointers)

Marcellus
09-19-2010, 03:02 PM
I said it in the game thread... DT and Neil Smith always seemed to still get the job done even when they were being held to an inch of their life. Maybe Neil could come give Tamba some pointers.... (or hold a seance and allow DT's ghost to give the pointers)

Good point.

RedThat
09-19-2010, 03:03 PM

Couldn't have said it better. Good job Chiefscountry

Pasta Giant Meatball
Pass rush is still lacking, but the run D looks great so far.

crossbow
Well, we did get one sack today. That is an improvement. The rebuild is coming along fine so far. Perhaps we could be legit in two years or so. Flowers is nails. Chiefs are set at that position for a long time.

DeezNutz
09-19-2010, 03:04 PM
Maybe Neil could come give Tamba some pointers.... (or hold a seance and allow DT's ghost to give the pointers)

By "pointer" do you mean "infuse Hali with more natural gifts"? He's an ok player, but he cannot be any team's primary rush LB.

Fortunately, thus far we've played the run pretty well. And Flowers is somewhat decent.

RedThat
09-19-2010, 03:05 PM
I still think our pass rush is piss poor. Hali needs to stay on the left side, and our biggest need other than QB, is a ROLB/rush backer.

I agree with this.

One thing, I want to add though, Hali did draw some holds. Which, if you're not gonna get to the QB, and if you draw holds, thats still okay at least imo. Just as good as a sack.

TrickyNicky
09-19-2010, 03:06 PM
Was Studebaker in on any D snaps? I don't recall.

CupidStunt
09-19-2010, 03:07 PM

Jury is still out on the ILBs. DJ is playing up to his talent and has been dominant in both games, and Belcher has been VERY solid in both games also. Both of them are defeating any blocks coming their way and making tackles at or near the LOS. Nothing 10+ yards down the field like the old days of Maslowski/Mays/Mitchell/Beisel.

NTs have been playing well also but that's clearly a need.

The biggest need is a pass-rusher.

Saccopoo
09-19-2010, 03:10 PM

MLB? WTF?

Johnson and Belcher have been our best players other than Flowers on that side of the ball.

DaneMcCloud
09-19-2010, 03:34 PM
There's no doubt the Chiefs are lacking a least one more serious pass rusher. They need someone that can get to the QB and sack him (unlike Hali).

Did anyone miss Tyson Jackson today?

Not a good sign for #3 overall.

Marcellus
09-19-2010, 03:38 PM
There's no doubt the Chiefs are lacking a least one more serious pass rusher. They need someone that can get to the QB and sack him (unlike Hali).

Did anyone miss Tyson Jackson today?

Not a good sign for #3 overall.

Kind of hard to say if we missed him or not considering we sucked it up the 1st half and played well the 2nd on defense.

How do you prove a negative? Would he have made an impact in the 1st half? I don;t know how you could know.

DaneMcCloud
09-19-2010, 03:42 PM
Kind of hard to say if we missed him or not considering we sucked it up the 1st half and played well the 2nd on defense.

How do you prove a negative? Would he have made an impact in the 1st half? I don;t know how you could know.

Was there a defensive dropoff from Monday night's performance?

There's your answer.

warpaint*
09-19-2010, 04:03 PM
Crennel has improved the defense by virtue of coaching alone. Clancy Pendergast is a train wreck. However we have played two teams that made a number of mistakes, one b/c of weather and hfa and the other b/c they're one of the worst teams in the league starting a terrible backup qb. I think the thing that is the most encouraging is just that the team is improved and does appear to be headed in the right direction.

Marcellus
09-19-2010, 04:05 PM
Was there a defensive dropoff from Monday night's performance?

There's your answer.

Was it pouring rain? ;)

I heard TJacks name more than I heard Smith's which is who replaced him mostly.

Gillberry did get a sack though.

DaneMcCloud
09-19-2010, 04:06 PM
We likely won't know what is going on defensively until after the Chiefs have faced both the Texans and Colts.

The 49er shouldn't present much of a challenge offensively.

DaneMcCloud
09-19-2010, 04:08 PM
Was it pouring rain? ;)

I heard TJacks name more than I heard Smith's which is who replaced him mostly.

Gillberry did get a sack though.

It was a simple statement: Tyson Jackson was not missed.

Period.

I don't know why you're even trying to dispute that fact.

phillip
09-19-2010, 04:11 PM
It was a simple statement: Tyson Jackson was not missed.

Period.

I don't know why you're even trying to dispute that fact.

Um, period?

No defensive dropoff, but we went from playing Chargers to Browns.

It's arguable at the very least, notwithstanding the weather conditions.

Basileus777
09-19-2010, 04:13 PM

3-4 MLBs aren't exceptionally valuable or difficult to find. I'm not too worried there.

Captain Obvious
09-19-2010, 04:43 PM
We likely won't know what is going on defensively until after the Chiefs have faced both the Texans and Colts.

Our achilles heel seems to be TEs. And they have a pretty decent TE.

Dave Lane
09-19-2010, 05:04 PM

Hmmm interesting. Its almost like someone said "I actually think we beat SF at home and I think there is a good shot of being 3-0 at the bye" before the season even started.

What ****ing football idiot would have made so bold a prediction before the season even started??

threebag02
09-19-2010, 05:08 PM
When the NFL goes to 18 games our defense will be ready. They are already on the field 3/4 of a game it seems. So they should be conditioned for it.

DaneMcCloud
09-19-2010, 05:13 PM
Hmmm interesting. Its almost like someone said "I actually think we beat SF at home and I think there is a good shot of being 3-0 at the bye" before the season even started.

What ****ing football idiot would have made so bold a prediction before the season even started??

It's in my sig, Dave.

I think it was a rather bold prediction and I'll give you kudos if it comes true.

Marcellus
09-19-2010, 05:47 PM
It's in my sig, Dave.

I think it was a rather bold prediction and I'll give you kudos if it comes true.

:clap: