PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Ten Things About Today's Game

gblowfish
09-19-2010, 04:08 PM
Ten Things About Today's Game

10. Yesterday I went to the KSU-ISU game at Arrowhead with Mrs. Blowfish, my sister in law and my brother in law. Mrs. Blowfish and Bro-in-Law Blowfish are both KSU alums and huge Wildcat fans. After the game we went for an early dinner in Independence, and right after our dinner, it started hailing hard. We could hear the hail coming for us as we drove down the street. Big freaking hailstones the size of golf balls. I was able to get the car under cover at a covered parking lot just in the nick of time, so I barely missed getting the Blowfish Mobile beat to death. But lots of my friends and neighbors here in Independence had a LOT of damage. My next door neighbor had the windshield shattered in her car. So today before the game I was picking up downed limbs with my neighbors and checking my roof for damage. Looks like we got off lucky here at Stately Blowfish Manor. Lots of folks in Independence got whacked hard, and probably missed today's game tending to important life matters. Today it was me, Meesh Meesh the Cat and our favorite La-Z-Boy recliner kicked back. I listened to Mitch and Lenny on the Fox Broadcast, because Don Criqui sucks the broadcasting big one. Criqui and Berlein have to be the absolute bottom barrel CBS broadcast team. But since the Chiefs have been a bottom feeder for the past couple years, we'll tend to draw lousy play by play guys. Memo to Mitch: Please quit saying "PUT THE HAMMER DOWN." We know, we know already.

9. A win is a win is a win is a win. I will never complain about a win, never ever. I am very pleased we went on the road and won. All week everyone on the CP debated this game, and the general consensus was, this game could go either way. Today that was exactly the case. We eventually won by making a first down by two inches. Every year we win one we probably shouldn't (example: Pittsburgh at home last year) and we blow one we shouldn't (example: Raiders at home last year). This one does not fit in either category. It's not a stretch that we won, wouldn't be a surprise if we lost. If my theory holds, we'll still win one nobody counts (Maybe Indy or Houston) and blow one nobody figures (maybe Buffalo or St. Louis).

8. A bit about Cassel: Lots of weeks I grouse about Cassel, and compare him to my least favorite long time Chiefs QB ever, Ms. Bill Kenney. Cassel has been vintage Kenney the last two weeks. Dink. Dunk. Dink. Dunk. Sack, Dink, Dunk. At halftime I told my wife it would not be a stretch for us to come out with Brodie starting the second half. Luckily, the coaches must have had a serious Come To Jesus meeting with Cassel at halftime. He was not great in the second half, but did play much better. His eventual line was 16 for 28, 176 yards, sacked once -which was his own fault, held the ball too long- zero TDs, two picks. QB rating was 46.1. That's pretty stinky. Wallace, who is Cleveland's second banana QB, threw for 229 yards and one TD, but had one very expensive pick six to Flowers. There was only two offensive TDs in the whole game. I think we see what Cassel is. He's a dink and dunker. He has NO accuracy over about fifteen yards. His first pick was woefully under thrown to Chambers. He had Moeacki and Bowe both open deep and missed both times. He threw short of the sticks on third down a couple two or three times. Most of our big pass plays are because of YAC. I don't think Weis has any confidence in Cassel's ability to hit the deep ball, as he averaged less than six yards per pass. Welcome to 1984 Bill Kenney.

7, Chiefs were five for fifteen on third down, which still sucks. Today our running game was not as effective, as teams are not afraid of Cassel throwing, so they're cheating up. Today we averaged 3.6 yards per carry. Jones ended up with 83 yards, and of those yards the final 12 inches gained iced the game. It seems weird, but the Chiefs actually won time of possession by almost seven minutes. A lot of that was being able to chew up the last three minutes, otherwise it seems like our defense was on the field an awfully lot. I think that's another reason Coach Haley went for it on fourth and inches to ice the game. The defense looked tired towards the end, would have been dicey to prevent a field goal at the end. Situations like today is why we got Thomas Jones, to run tough on short yardage. Today it paid off.

6. Big kudos to the defense again this week. They shut Cleveland out in the second half. Our rookie D-Backs are a mixed blessing. Berry was great in run support today, but got burned by Cribbs peeking into the backfield on a third and one. Brandon Carr had a pretty bad game today, Flowers was a difference maker. Why pick on Flowers? Why not throw at Carr? I don't get it, but I'm glad Cleveland tried that strategy. Berry and DJ tied for most tackles today with seven. DJ has played two fine games in a row now. He's playing at an All Pro level so far, hope he can maintain. Gilberry had a big sack near the end, but our pass rush has still been very shaky so far.

5. Today we won the battle of special teams, only because our kicker didn't miss, and their kicker did miss one. Succop is money, and we should start appreciating how good he has been for us. Hey, Coach Haley "iced" their veteran kicker and it actually worked! Today Arenas couldn't get free, mostly because our gunners could not block out effectively. Cleveland has good kick coverage, probably from practicing against Cribbs every day. I applaud not kicking to Cribbs. We gave them good field position all day, but no TDs on long kick returns, which killed us last year against the Browns in KC. Make Wallace beat you, not Cribbs. Excellent job keeping him bottled up.

4. The Chiefs have played pretty disciplined football. Today only four penalties for 30 yards, Browns had nine penalties for 78 yards. Richardson had another acceptable game at tackle, gave up a coverage sack and had one holding penalty, and I can live with that. Our O-Line has been much better than last year, although we need a better push on third and short. I think we're having trouble running on short yardage because teams have no fear of Cassel. We made a half a foot when we had to, and that was a gutsy call by Coach Haley.

3. To be honest, neither the Chiefs or the Browns are much good. I can see Mangini getting whacked after this year. Chiefs seem to be on the move, but will have to overcome Cassel's play if they want to stay competitive. McCluster needs to be more involved. Team speed is one of our few competitive advantages, and we have to use that more to our advantage. I could see a halfback option coming from Charles to McCluster at some point down the line.

2. Bowe made some very tough catches today, he got whacked good a couple times and bounced right back up. Moeacki looked very TG-like today. He's got good size, and made some nice catches to keep drives moving. Keep using him, he's the best alternative we have at TE this year. No major injuries today, thank goodness. We don't have a lot of depth, especially on either line. So getting through these games with no major injuries is a very big deal.

1. We're 2-0, and in first place in the AFC West. Major props to Coach Haley and the coaching staff. They have done their job. Also, since San Fran has a Monday Night game at home, next week at Arrowhead could be a trap game for them, same as this week was a potential trap game for us. For some reason, I don't have much fear of San Fran coming to Arrowhead. We'll have to watch them close on Monday night to see what they've got. For now, let's just enjoy the ride and hope for bad things to happen to the Bolts, Donks and Convicts.

the Talking Can
09-19-2010, 04:15 PM
pretty spot on

Arrowhead will be rocking again with us 2-0

we held Cleveland to 78 yards rushing...without t-jack even...

still hate that Charles only had 1 carry after 3 punts...

RedThat
09-19-2010, 04:20 PM
Chiefs are getting to many 3 & outs. Thats something they need to improve on. A lot of drives seems like the Herm days of run, run, pass, punt. I think the defense is playing well, but we are putting too much pressure on them. And if we have to keep playing like this, Im worried the defense will get tired and be worn out by seasons end. Another thing, Chiefs are setting themselves up in too many 3rd and long situations. They have to find a way to create more 2nd or 3rd and short situations. At least that will take more pressure off the QBs shoulders, and the offense can operate with more ease.

grandllama
09-19-2010, 04:21 PM
Nailed it again Blowfish. Even analysis straight through the goalposts.... much like Succop!

CupidStunt
09-19-2010, 04:23 PM
If we can stop Gore we'll rock the 9ers. Defense gets another pick-6 off Smith.

scho63
09-19-2010, 04:29 PM
I agree and would like to add that I don't understand why no wildcat attempts, no screens or swing passes to Charles or McCluster in the flat, and basically really awful play calling. Colquit is punting too much because our 3 down conversions suck.....

KC Jones
09-19-2010, 04:50 PM
So I was pretty young during the Kenney era, but I seem to remember it as him always dropping back and looking to chuck it downfield to Carlos Carson and Stephan Paige.

Deberg_1990
09-19-2010, 04:52 PM
So I was pretty young during the Kenney era, but I seem to remember it as him always dropping back and looking to chuck it downfield to Carlos Carson and Stephan Paige.

Thats what i vaguely remember as well....but i was only like 12 or 13 when he played, and didnt watch every game back in those days....

gblowfish
09-19-2010, 05:48 PM
Maybe I shouldn't be so hard on Ms. Kenney:
1984: 53.5% completion pct. Threw 15 TDs and 10 INTs, plus fumbled 8 times.
Averaged just under 14 yards per completion. Career: 34-43 as a starter.
He was kind of Cassel and Brokie rolled into one: Threw dink passes, great at garbage time stats, and was hurt a lot.

EyePod
09-19-2010, 05:51 PM
I don't understand why people are saying it was a tough decision for Haley on that 4th and 1. We have a tired defense, they have an electric return guy, and if we get it, we win. We have been giving them similar field position all game and stopped them too. They had no time outs.

Why punt? How does the risk outweigh the reward? This call was a no-brainer.

Hug it Out Dan
09-19-2010, 06:11 PM
It seems that a lot of good Charles runs are on HB delays and draw plays.

At which times you would call during passing situations. You don't hardly see TJ in the game when we need to pass.

As stupid as it may seem, I don't see the Chiefs really making any changes to the carry ratio b/w JC and TJ.

Bob Dole
09-19-2010, 06:25 PM
I don't understand why people are saying it was a tough decision for Haley on that 4th and 1. We have a tired defense, they have an electric return guy, and if we get it, we win. We have been giving them similar field position all game and stopped them too. They had no time outs.

Because we were absolute shit in short yardage situations all damned day.

farmerchief
09-19-2010, 06:29 PM
Maybe I shouldn't be so hard on Ms. Kenney:
1984: 53.5% completion pct. Threw 15 TDs and 10 INTs, plus fumbled 8 times.
Averaged just under 14 yards per completion. Career: 34-43 as a starter.
He was kind of Cassel and Brokie rolled into one: Threw dink passes, great at garbage time stats, and was hurt a lot.

I remember the years with Bill Kenny, he wasnt bad at all! Made the Pro Bowl in 1983, and the Chiefs record that year, was I believe 6-10(something like that)

lcarus
09-19-2010, 06:33 PM
I'm very satisfied with how well we've stopped the run. Our young secondary will learn to not make so many huge mistakes in pass defense eventually, and then our defense will be much better. Get this team a QB and a pass rusher and we'll be damn good.

gblowfish
09-19-2010, 06:45 PM
I remember the years with Bill Kenny, he wasnt bad at all! Made the Pro Bowl in 1983, and the Chiefs record that year, was I believe 6-10(something like that)

Trust me, Kenney was not good.
The only reason he made the Pro Bowl in 1983 was because:
A) Joe Delaney died the summer before that season, we had no ground game, and Kenney threw 40 times a game and racked up lots of passing yards, mostly in garbage time;
B) He was a third alternate. At least two other QBs begged off playing in the game that year.

If Kenney didn't suck so bad, we wouldn't have spent a draft pick on Todd Blackledge.

But that's all ancient history now.

rad
09-19-2010, 06:48 PM
There was only one offensive TD in the whole game.

There were two.

rad
09-19-2010, 06:48 PM

There were two.

DanT
09-19-2010, 06:49 PM

I don't remember Bill Kenney being a dink-and-dunker. I remember him making great passes on timing patterns. He had several touchdowns of 70+ yards in his career. He threw some of those long catches that Stephone Paige had on the day that Paige got 300+ yards receiving. Kenney's career stats are available here:

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/K/KennBi00.htm

Kenney's last year wasn't that good with us, but I thought he was very solid otherwise, from what I remember.

rad
09-19-2010, 06:51 PM

There were two, actually.

gblowfish
09-19-2010, 06:53 PM
I don't remember Bill Kenney being a dink-and-dunker. I remember him making great passes on timing patterns. He had several touchdowns of 70+ yards in his career. He threw some of those long catches that Stephone Paige had on the day that Paige got 300+ yards receiving. Kenney's career stats are available here:

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/K/KennBi00.htm

Kenney's last year wasn't that good with us, but I thought he was very solid otherwise, from what I remember.

And how many playoff games did he win?
That's what I thought...

gblowfish
09-19-2010, 06:54 PM
There were two, actually.

Yes, you're right. One long pass, one short run to cap a 98 yard drive, both by Cleveland. KC gets one defensive TD and three Succop FGs.

rad
09-19-2010, 07:00 PM
Similar Players
Glossary What does "similar" mean? CSV PRE
NumYrs Players whose career was of similar quality and shape
3 David Whitehurst, Dennis Shaw, Trent Dilfer, Scott Hunter, Jim Hart, Bart Starr*, Dan Fouts*, Lamar McHan, Eddie LeBaron, Tim Couch
4 Jake Plummer, Charley Johnson, Trent Dilfer, Terry Bradshaw*, Gus Frerotte, Tony Eason, Bob Avellini, Dan Fouts*, David Carr, Joe Kapp
5 Jim McMahon, Charley Johnson, Terry Bradshaw*, Bart Starr*, Trent Dilfer, Jim Hart, Joe Ferguson, Jon Kitna, Archie Manning, Rick Mirer
6 Jim McMahon, Charley Johnson, Trent Dilfer, David Carr, Ed Brown, Tobin Rote, Neil O'Donnell, Gus Frerotte, Steve Bartkowski, Jon Kitna
7 Jim McMahon, Ed Brown, Trent Dilfer, Charley Johnson, Rodney Peete, Dan Pastorini, Gus Frerotte, Don Meredith, Jeff George, Tony Banks
8 Jim McMahon, Ed Brown, Neil O'Donnell, Trent Dilfer, Dan Pastorini, Gus Frerotte, Rodney Peete, Jim Harbaugh, Vinny Testaverde, Jeff George
9 Jim McMahon, Charley Johnson, Ed Brown, Trent Dilfer, Chris Miller, Billy Wade, John Brodie, Eddie LeBaron, Rodney Peete, Dan Pastorini
Career Gus Frerotte, Chris Miller, Tony Banks, Trent Dilfer, Jim McMahon, Doug Williams, Lamar McHan, Gary Danielson, Elvis Grbac, Rodney Peete

HemiEd
09-19-2010, 07:07 PM
We can only hope that someday Cassel turns out to be as good as Bill Kenney.

I don't see it.

But I love the 2-0.

tmax63
09-19-2010, 07:10 PM
Even though the offense sucked they did get 3 FG's. And yardage was better than last week. Enough to overcome a couple int's and still sneak out a win. Thing that I notice so far this season is that they've gotten two games to work on things and another week of practice and they're 2-0. Last year they would of been 0-2. And I do feel IMHO that the coaches will keep working with them and eventually get them better. At least they did last year. And add 2 games of experience to the rookies and other youngsters. It's buying practice time with wins instead of losses.

penchief
09-19-2010, 07:10 PM
And how many playoff games did he win?
That's what I thought...

He wasn't anywhere near as bad as you're making him out to be. He didn't win any playoff games because the chiefs sucked ass as a team and weren't good enough to make the playoffs.

From what I remember he used throw ropes to Paige and Carson hitting them in stride most of the time. Was he a really really good quarterback? No. Was he a bad quarterback? No.

The way you are always exaggerating his badness has to make one wonder what Bill Kenney did to piss you off. There is an obvious lack of objectivity in your evaluation, IMO.

WilliamTheIrish
09-19-2010, 08:13 PM
Bill Kenney was so fantastic he was replaced by 80 year old Steve DeBerg.

Art Vader
09-19-2010, 08:28 PM
to go along with piss-poor deep ball accuracy and the pocket awareness of a deaf and blind person, Cassel also has a mangina.

gblowfish
09-19-2010, 08:57 PM
He wasn't anywhere near as bad as you're making him out to be. He didn't win any playoff games because the chiefs sucked ass as a team and weren't good enough to make the playoffs.

From what I remember he used throw ropes to Paige and Carson hitting them in stride most of the time. Was he a really really good quarterback? No. Was he a bad quarterback? No.

The way you are always exaggerating his badness has to make one wonder what Bill Kenney did to piss you off. There is an obvious lack of objectivity in your evaluation, IMO.

Bill Kenney pissed me off because he wasted my entire decade of the 1980's as a mediocre Chiefs QB. Bill Kenney pissed me off because his ineptness led to the drafting of Todd Blackledge. Bill Kenney pissed me off because he'd never start winning until the Chiefs were mathematically eliminated, then he'd play just good enough to screw up the Chiefs draft choice. How did Bill Kenney do as Chiefs QB? In a five team AFC West, here is how the Chiefs finished under his leadership as QB during those years:

1981: 3rd Place
1982: 4th Place
1983: Tied for Last Place (his alleged "Pro Bowl" season as a 3rd alternate)
1984: Fourth Place
1985: Last Place
1986: 2nd Place: Went to the playoffs vs NY Jets. Under his leadership, Chiefs lost 35-15. His stats? 8 for 16 for 97 yards an NO TDs. Very Cassel-like, dontcha think?
1987: Last Place
1988: Last Place.

Sit through eight years of that crap and tell me who's a team leader....

Hey, we won today. Happy thoughts, happy thoughts. Don't give me Bill Kenney nightmares again please. I'm just saying Cassel has a lot of the same traits.

Sweet Daddy Hate
09-19-2010, 09:02 PM
Good read, George.

Raiderhader
09-19-2010, 09:49 PM
Even though the offense sucked they did get 3 FG's. And yardage was better than last week. Enough to overcome a couple int's and still sneak out a win. Thing that I notice so far this season is that they've gotten two games to work on things and another week of practice and they're 2-0. Last year they would of been 0-2. And I do feel IMHO that the coaches will keep working with them and eventually get them better. At least they did last year. And add 2 games of experience to the rookies and other youngsters. It's buying practice time with wins instead of losses.

This is the biggest thing I am seeing; we are winning. The culture of losing is being changed. I agree, last year we would have blown these past two games because the team did not know how to finish. They expected to lose. Not any more. The team is learning how to hang tough and NOT blow it.

Yes, there is a LOT to work on still. But this development is huge IMNSHO. I see good things in the team's future.

DanT
09-19-2010, 10:09 PM
Bill Kenney was so fantastic he was replaced by 80 year old Steve DeBerg.

:)

Other than not remembering Kenney as being a dink-and-dunker, I pretty much agree with the sharp observations that gblowfish makes in his excellent thread starting post. A win is a win! Go Chiefs!

KCChiefsFan88
09-19-2010, 10:14 PM
The Chiefs will have zero downfield passing game as long as Steve Bono 2.0 is under center. 2.0's entire delivery needs a Tim Tebow-esque massive makeover. Unfortunately late September isn't the time for a major overhaul of your starting QBs passing mechanics. The Chiefs are stuck with Fat Scott's $63 million blunder the rest of this season and are going to have to work around his many shortcomings.

splatbass
09-19-2010, 10:17 PM
Bill Kenney pissed me off because he wasted my entire decade of the 1980's as a mediocre Chiefs QB. Bill Kenney pissed me off because his ineptness led to the drafting of Todd Blackledge. Bill Kenney pissed me off because he'd never start winning until the Chiefs were mathematically eliminated, then he'd play just good enough to screw up the Chiefs draft choice. How did Bill Kenney do as Chiefs QB? In a five team AFC West, here is how the Chiefs finished under his leadership as QB during those years:

1981: 3rd Place
1982: 4th Place
1983: Tied for Last Place (his alleged "Pro Bowl" season as a 3rd alternate)
1984: Fourth Place
1985: Last Place
1986: 2nd Place: Went to the playoffs vs NY Jets. Under his leadership, Chiefs lost 35-15. His stats? 8 for 16 for 97 yards an NO TDs. Very Cassel-like, dontcha think?
1987: Last Place
1988: Last Place.

Sit through eight years of that crap and tell me who's a team leader....

Hey, we won today. Happy thoughts, happy thoughts. Don't give me Bill Kenney nightmares again please. I'm just saying Cassel has a lot of the same traits.

Kenney was a decent QB on a very bad team. Not nearly as bad as you make him out to be. Hell, if you go by the teams losing record Archie Manning was a worse QB than Kenney. You can't judge a QB only on the W-L record.

I don't see how someone so spot on about today's game can be so wrong about Kenney. Selective memory maybe?

gblowfish
09-20-2010, 08:42 AM
The whole reason I brought up Kenney is I think Cassel plays a lot like him. Explain this to me: If Kenney was an "All Pro" Quarterback in 1983, why was our first draft pick Todd Blackledge in the 1983 draft? 1983 Kenney threw more than 600 passes. The reason the Chiefs had to throw so much was because Joe Delaney died that summer, and we had no ground game. He was "All Pro" and his team finished last in the division. Kenney never had a season even close to 1983 after that. More stuff to chew on: Kenney played for KC 9 years, Dawson 13 years, Green 5 years. Kenney was sacked 195 times, the most in KC history. Dawson was sacked only 90 times and played four more years than Kenney. Green had 400 more career completions in half the time Kenney played. Kenney threw five picks in one game vs San Diego in 1981, a record only bested by Blackledge with six vs. the LA Rams in 1985. Kenney only got to one playoff game, and when he did finally get his chance, he played like total crap. So don't tell me I'm being hard on Bill Kenney. I saw his whole career close up. He was injury prone, mistake prone, extremely sackable, he would never come through in the clutch, he would only start winning once the Chiefs were out of the playoff hunt, and usually played just good enough to screw up our draft position, thus perpetuating our mediocrity. I can see the same thing happening with Cassel if he doesn't step it up. I just don't think he's got the goods to bring home the bacon.

the Talking Can
09-20-2010, 08:53 AM
:)

Other than not remembering Kenney as being a dink-and-dunker, I pretty much agree with the sharp observations that gblowfish makes in his excellent thread starting post. A win is a win! Go Chiefs!

whoa....blast from the past!

gblowfish
09-20-2010, 09:01 AM
Yeah, I just needed to vent. Sometimes I get 1980s flashbacks, and it's not pretty.

Chiefnj2
09-20-2010, 09:01 AM
My random thoughts on the game:

1. I didn't like the tv angle of the game. The camera work always seemed to be far away.
2. Weis tried to get Cassel into a short passing rhythm early in the game. But, as stated, Cassel can't throw past 13 yards. Plus, McCluster was having trouble at receiver (slipped on one timing route and didn't complete his pattern on another throw).
3. Romeo deserves a huge raise. He's done an amazing job with the DL and LB's in run support.
4. Hali was getting held a lot. He drew two flags which is good, but I think his ankle is holding him back a little. He had a nice fight with the entire Cleveland bench.
5. Another OLB needs to step up and pressure the QB.
6. Two weeks in a row that Berry is the worst player on the D.
7. DJ won't get the national recognition, but he's playing lights out.
8. I thought Kendrick Lewis' hit was legal. I thought he caught him with his shoulder, not the helmet.
9. It was odd that KC came up getting the "luck"/bad calls this week. It wasn't a fumble, and it didn't look like Jones had the 1st down. Lucky.
10. Great job punting the ball this week.

Dave Lane
09-20-2010, 09:08 AM

Herm would have punted.

TheLegendaryJorts
09-20-2010, 09:26 AM
Defense has done a 180. Props to Romeo on that.

I keep reading complaints about Cassels "Dink and Dunk" approach. Cassel is a product of the same coaches from NE. Tom Brady is a dink and dunker and has only really been able to stretch the field since the aquasition of Randy Moss - possibly the best deep threat to ever play.

The NFL has changed however since the glory days of the former Pats coaches. This is a big play, passing oriented league now. KC is not set to succeed deep in the playoffs unless they can adapt to this by keeping the playmakers on the field.

GET CHARLES AND MCCLUSTER MORE INVOLVED!!! They are our homerun hitters and our jolt of excitement. I've been frustrated watching the KC offense since Vermil retired, until Jamal stepped in last year. I really hope this offense evolves a bit. It's very frustrating watching our playmakers not given the opportunity to make plays.

penchief
09-20-2010, 09:27 AM
The whole reason I brought up Kenney is I think Cassel plays a lot like him. Explain this to me: If Kenney was an "All Pro" Quarterback in 1983, why was our first draft pick Todd Blackledge in the 1983 draft? 1983 Kenney threw more than 600 passes. The reason the Chiefs had to throw so much was because Joe Delaney died that summer, and we had no ground game. He was "All Pro" and his team finished last in the division. Kenney never had a season even close to 1983 after that. More stuff to chew on: Kenney played for KC 9 years, Dawson 13 years, Green 5 years. Kenney was sacked 195 times, the most in KC history. Dawson was sacked only 90 times and played four more years than Kenney. Green had 400 more career completions in half the time Kenney played. Kenney threw five picks in one game vs San Diego in 1981, a record only bested by Blackledge with six vs. the LA Rams in 1985. Kenney only got to one playoff game, and when he did finally get his chance, he played like total crap. So don't tell me I'm being hard on Bill Kenney. I saw his whole career close up. He was injury prone, mistake prone, extremely sackable, he would never come through in the clutch, he would only start winning once the Chiefs were out of the playoff hunt, and usually played just good enough to screw up our draft position, thus perpetuating our mediocrity. I can see the same thing happening with Cassel if he doesn't step it up. I just don't think he's got the goods to bring home the bacon.

Cassel plays nothing like Kenney. Kenney threw ropes to Paige and Carson. That passing game was very well designed and much of the time Kenney was dropping back and getting rid of the ball quickly because he was hitting those guys in stride on timing routes.

BIG_DADDY
09-20-2010, 09:28 AM
The one thing I will say is our play calling is as predictable as it gets.

gblowfish
09-20-2010, 09:31 AM
If you call a six yard pass on third and ten a "rope" then, OK.
You must be a big fan of stuff like library paste, and unflavored wet oatmeal, and flat soda pop, and six and ten football teams.... y'know, milk toast, mediocre, disappointing stuff...

boogblaster
09-20-2010, 09:39 AM
well said fish .. we're 2-0 .. yesterday wasn't a pretty game but at times they looked good ...

bevischief
09-20-2010, 09:50 AM
Ten Things About Today's Game

10. Yesterday I went to the KSU-ISU game at Arrowhead with Mrs. Blowfish, my sister in law and my brother in law. Mrs. Blowfish and Bro-in-Law Blowfish are both KSU alums and huge Wildcat fans. After the game we went for an early dinner in Independence, and right after our dinner, it started hailing hard. We could hear the hail coming for us as we drove down the street. Big freaking hailstones the size of golf balls. I was able to get the car under cover at a covered parking lot just in the nick of time, so I barely missed getting the Blowfish Mobile beat to death. But lots of my friends and neighbors here in Independence had a LOT of damage. My next door neighbor had the windshield shattered in her car. So today before the game I was picking up downed limbs with my neighbors and checking my roof for damage. Looks like we got off lucky here at Stately Blowfish Manor. Lots of folks in Independence got whacked hard, and probably missed today's game tending to important life matters. Today it was me, Meesh Meesh the Cat and our favorite La-Z-Boy recliner kicked back. I listened to Mitch and Lenny on the Fox Broadcast, because Don Criqui sucks the broadcasting big one. Criqui and Berlein have to be the absolute bottom barrel CBS broadcast team. But since the Chiefs have been a bottom feeder for the past couple years, we'll tend to draw lousy play by play guys. Memo to Mitch: Please quit saying "PUT THE HAMMER DOWN." We know, we know already.

9. A win is a win is a win is a win. I will never complain about a win, never ever. I am very pleased we went on the road and won. All week everyone on the CP debated this game, and the general consensus was, this game could go either way. Today that was exactly the case. We eventually won by making a first down by two inches. Every year we win one we probably shouldn't (example: Pittsburgh at home last year) and we blow one we shouldn't (example: Raiders at home last year). This one does not fit in either category. It's not a stretch that we won, wouldn't be a surprise if we lost. If my theory holds, we'll still win one nobody counts (Maybe Indy or Houston) and blow one nobody figures (maybe Buffalo or St. Louis).

8. A bit about Cassel: Lots of weeks I grouse about Cassel, and compare him to my least favorite long time Chiefs QB ever, Ms. Bill Kenney. Cassel has been vintage Kenney the last two weeks. Dink. Dunk. Dink. Dunk. Sack, Dink, Dunk. At halftime I told my wife it would not be a stretch for us to come out with Brodie starting the second half. Luckily, the coaches must have had a serious Come To Jesus meeting with Cassel at halftime. He was not great in the second half, but did play much better. His eventual line was 16 for 28, 176 yards, sacked once -which was his own fault, held the ball too long- zero TDs, two picks. QB rating was 46.1. That's pretty stinky. Wallace, who is Cleveland's second banana QB, threw for 229 yards and one TD, but had one very expensive pick six to Flowers. There was only two offensive TDs in the whole game. I think we see what Cassel is. He's a dink and dunker. He has NO accuracy over about fifteen yards. His first pick was woefully under thrown to Chambers. He had Moeacki and Bowe both open deep and missed both times. He threw short of the sticks on third down a couple two or three times. Most of our big pass plays are because of YAC. I don't think Weis has any confidence in Cassel's ability to hit the deep ball, as he averaged less than six yards per pass. Welcome to 1984 Bill Kenney.

7, Chiefs were five for fifteen on third down, which still sucks. Today our running game was not as effective, as teams are not afraid of Cassel throwing, so they're cheating up. Today we averaged 3.6 yards per carry. Jones ended up with 83 yards, and of those yards the final 12 inches gained iced the game. It seems weird, but the Chiefs actually won time of possession by almost seven minutes. A lot of that was being able to chew up the last three minutes, otherwise it seems like our defense was on the field an awfully lot. I think that's another reason Coach Haley went for it on fourth and inches to ice the game. The defense looked tired towards the end, would have been dicey to prevent a field goal at the end. Situations like today is why we got Thomas Jones, to run tough on short yardage. Today it paid off.

6. Big kudos to the defense again this week. They shut Cleveland out in the second half. Our rookie D-Backs are a mixed blessing. Berry was great in run support today, but got burned by Cribbs peeking into the backfield on a third and one. Brandon Carr had a pretty bad game today, Flowers was a difference maker. Why pick on Flowers? Why not throw at Carr? I don't get it, but I'm glad Cleveland tried that strategy. Berry and DJ tied for most tackles today with seven. DJ has played two fine games in a row now. He's playing at an All Pro level so far, hope he can maintain. Gilberry had a big sack near the end, but our pass rush has still been very shaky so far.

5. Today we won the battle of special teams, only because our kicker didn't miss, and their kicker did miss one. Succop is money, and we should start appreciating how good he has been for us. Hey, Coach Haley "iced" their veteran kicker and it actually worked! Today Arenas couldn't get free, mostly because our gunners could not block out effectively. Cleveland has good kick coverage, probably from practicing against Cribbs every day. I applaud not kicking to Cribbs. We gave them good field position all day, but no TDs on long kick returns, which killed us last year against the Browns in KC. Make Wallace beat you, not Cribbs. Excellent job keeping him bottled up.

4. The Chiefs have played pretty disciplined football. Today only four penalties for 30 yards, Browns had nine penalties for 78 yards. Richardson had another acceptable game at tackle, gave up a coverage sack and had one holding penalty, and I can live with that. Our O-Line has been much better than last year, although we need a better push on third and short. I think we're having trouble running on short yardage because teams have no fear of Cassel. We made a half a foot when we had to, and that was a gutsy call by Coach Haley.

3. To be honest, neither the Chiefs or the Browns are much good. I can see Mangini getting whacked after this year. Chiefs seem to be on the move, but will have to overcome Cassel's play if they want to stay competitive. McCluster needs to be more involved. Team speed is one of our few competitive advantages, and we have to use that more to our advantage. I could see a halfback option coming from Charles to McCluster at some point down the line.

2. Bowe made some very tough catches today, he got whacked good a couple times and bounced right back up. Moeacki looked very TG-like today. He's got good size, and made some nice catches to keep drives moving. Keep using him, he's the best alternative we have at TE this year. No major injuries today, thank goodness. We don't have a lot of depth, especially on either line. So getting through these games with no major injuries is a very big deal.

1. We're 2-0, and in first place in the AFC West. Major props to Coach Haley and the coaching staff. They have done their job. Also, since San Fran has a Monday Night game at home, next week at Arrowhead could be a trap game for them, same as this week was a potential trap game for us. For some reason, I don't have much fear of San Fran coming to Arrowhead. We'll have to watch them close on Monday night to see what they've got. For now, let's just enjoy the ride and hope for bad things to happen to the Bolts, Donks and Convicts.

Good read.

otherstar
09-20-2010, 10:10 AM
Good read. Despite obvious shortcomings, this team is making forward progress and that is what I like. We are only 3 wins away from having a better season than last year, and I think going 8-8 is realistic for this team. I think we are just a few players short of being a serious playoff contender.

Buehler445
09-20-2010, 10:30 AM
Good read. Despite obvious shortcomings, this team is making forward progress and that is what I like. We are only 3 wins away from having a better season than last year, and I think going 8-8 is realistic for this team. I think we are just a few players short of being a serious playoff contender.

Big players like QB...

Good read George. As always, I appreciate the threads. Pretty spot on stuff IMO.

Here's my take on Cassel. He looks worse now than he did when he first got here. He looks less confident, less accurate, and less, I don't know, in control. When he got here he was fired up. He was trying to be a leader. You (at least I) don't see that stuff now. In the beginning it was an Oline problem and when he got time he'd do something and hope Wade would catch it. By midseason last season it was such a muddled shitfest that you couldn't tell anything. Now, you don't see any flashes of ability. My take is he got hit too much, lost too many games, and won't ever get his confidence back.

That's the way I see it. I guess we'll all find out eventually. I don't think he's going anywhere.
Posted via Mobile Device