View Full Version : Life I see the (O) doctor Thursday

Gracie Dean
09-19-2010, 05:23 PM
I am sure there will be pain involved

Bone Marrow tap? and possibly a spinal tap :deevee:

New bruising on the left foot the last 4 toes and almost up to mid foot

MadMax
09-19-2010, 05:32 PM
OUCH! Dear I feel your pain.. :( I pray all goes well for you.

RedNFeisty
09-19-2010, 05:33 PM
Noswad, MadMax, I wish you both well and little pain, sorry about the rough times.

Al Bundy
09-19-2010, 05:33 PM
I work with a guy who has Aplastic anemia. He has a very low platelet level. I pray you have NOTHING like that.

RJ
09-19-2010, 05:34 PM
Pam, I've had a bone marrow test and it wasn't nearly as bad as I expected it to be. The nurse said I handled the pain really well......for a man. according to her the women deal with it much better than the men. Seriously, it wasn't really that big a deal. The worry was far worse than the reality. Good luck to you.

Gracie Dean
09-19-2010, 06:17 PM
Pam, I've had a bone marrow test and it wasn't nearly as bad as I expected it to be. The nurse said I handled the pain really well......for a man. according to her the women deal with it much better than the men. Seriously, it wasn't really that big a deal. The worry was far worse than the reality. Good luck to you.

Thats comforting. Please walk me through it

Gracie Dean
09-19-2010, 06:26 PM
I haven't told my students that I am seeing an oncologist I have not told my mom either. If the diagnosis is bad, I will tell her but not until I know more facts.

RJ
09-19-2010, 07:05 PM
Thats comforting. Please walk me through it

The shots for the anesthetic hurt more than the procedure itself. After they numbed me up I lad there reading a book for maybe 15-20 minutes until it was determined I was ready. I rolled over on my side and they went to work. There were a few times I felt some pressure, one that made me cuss for a minute but nothing I couldn't deal with. IIRC, from the time I got the anesthetic until I walked out was about an hour. I was a little sore the next day but was able to go to work.

Incidentally, the test was done because of high platelet count. I thought that meant I was an overachiever but it turned out I just have something called essential thrombocytosis which might cause me some annoyance but most likely won't kill me. Like the test itself, the outcome wasn't nearly as bad as what I'd imagined.

Gracie Dean
09-19-2010, 07:45 PM
The shots for the anesthetic hurt more than the procedure itself. After they numbed me up I lad there reading a book for maybe 15-20 minutes until it was determined I was ready. I rolled over on my side and they went to work. There were a few times I felt some pressure, one that made me cuss for a minute but nothing I couldn't deal with. IIRC, from the time I got the anesthetic until I walked out was about an hour. I was a little sore the next day but was able to go to work.

Incidentally, the test was done because of high platelet count. I thought that meant I was an overachiever but it turned out I just have something called essential thrombocytosis which might cause me some annoyance but most likely won't kill me. Like the test itself, the outcome wasn't nearly as bad as what I'd imagined.

so this procedure is routine and done in the Doc office? Can I request to be put under? or at the very least give me some amnesia drugs of some kind?

RJ
09-19-2010, 07:56 PM
so this procedure is routine and done in the Doc office? Can I request to be put under? or at the very least give me some amnesia drugs of some kind?

It's not nearly that bad, though I had the same fears going in.

Are you expecting they'll do tests on Thursday?

Ebolapox
09-19-2010, 07:56 PM
I'm REALLY not trying to be insensitive: but am I the only person who thought "O-face" after reading the headline?

(oh, and positive mojo is headed your way in this and all of your tests and trials, pam)

Sweet Daddy Hate
09-19-2010, 08:11 PM
I am sure there will be pain involved

Bone Marrow tap? and possibly a spinal tap :deevee:

New bruising on the left foot the last 4 toes and almost up to mid foot

More prayers and good thoughts coming your way, Pam.

Saul Good
09-19-2010, 08:13 PM
I'm REALLY not trying to be insensitive: but am I the only person who thought "O-face" after reading the headline?

(oh, and positive mojo is headed your way in this and all of your tests and trials, pam)

Not at all. My first reaction was that she was seeing a proctologist. My reaction was going to be to tell her to show him her ( )o( ) face. Upon reading the thread, I wouldn't recommend it.

Seriously though, good luck.

Gracie Dean
09-19-2010, 08:14 PM
It's not nearly that bad, though I had the same fears going in.

Are you expecting they'll do tests on Thursday?

I think so, but this may just be a first contact

bevischief
09-19-2010, 09:36 PM
That sucks, my wife had a spinal tap a few months ago she says never again.

Gracie Dean
09-20-2010, 02:45 PM
I just hope if/when they do the tests...that something is decided and a definite course of action is taken. I hate the maybe its this, or lets try that.

They are not the ones who have to live it every day

seclark
09-20-2010, 03:38 PM
rj answered about the bone marrow test pretty well. i'll add that i took my uncle to have one done on him last spring.
outpatient...after i left him w/the dr, it took about 35 to 40 minutes before they called me back. he acted like he didn't even know it happened. he was still kinda doped up and took off in the wheelchair while i was getting his paper work taken care of. we caught up w/him and took him home. he slept the whole way(1hr) home, then just took it easy the rest of the day. might have been a little sore the next day, but it didn't keep him down. it should be a piece of cake for you.

as for the spinal tap, i had one done when i was a teen. it did hurt, but not as bad as the pain i was in before i went to the hospital. kinda weird, really. they keep you all hunched over in a fetal position while they put the needle in.

i think the "fear" is worse than the pain...you can handle it.
good luck,
sec

Gracie Dean
09-20-2010, 06:03 PM
rj answered about the bone marrow test pretty well. i'll add that i took my uncle to have one done on him last spring.
outpatient...after i left him w/the dr, it took about 35 to 40 minutes before they called me back. he acted like he didn't even know it happened. he was still kinda doped up and took off in the wheelchair while i was getting his paper work taken care of. we caught up w/him and took him home. he slept the whole way(1hr) home, then just took it easy the rest of the day. might have been a little sore the next day, but it didn't keep him down. it should be a piece of cake for you.

as for the spinal tap, i had one done when i was a teen. it did hurt, but not as bad as the pain i was in before i went to the hospital. kinda weird, really. they keep you all hunched over in a fetal position while they put the needle in.

i think the "fear" is worse than the pain...you can handle it.
good luck,
sec

Thank you all. I am feeling not so terrified

Caseykid
09-20-2010, 08:36 PM
My son Josh has ITP (low platelets from unknown causes) and had to have a spinal tap. Instead of anesthesia, Josh was given Verced, an amnesia medicine. We (my wife and I) were in the room with him and witnessed the procedure. He moaned a number of times but after it was done could not recall any pain or the experience. That might be the way the go. Probably need to discuss with your physician what would be best. Hope they are able to determine what is going on. Prayers to you and your family.

Jim