PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Teicher: Flowers powers Chiefs with interception return

Tribal Warfare
09-19-2010, 10:46 PM
Flowers powers Chiefs with interception return (http://www.kansascity.com/2010/09/19/2235325/flowers-powers-chiefs-with-interception.html)
By ADAM TEICHER
The Kansas City Star

CLEVELAND | Chiefs cornerback Brandon Flowers’ first career touchdown on an interception return came against an eventual Hall of Fame quarterback, Brett Favre.

His second touchdown came against a career reserve, Seneca Wallace.

“I’ll still take it, though,” Flowers said.

Flowers’ 33-yard interception return for a touchdown was too valuable for the Chiefs to throw back. It sparked the Chiefs to a 16-14 win over Cleveland that lifted their record to 2-0 for the first time since 2005.

It also gave the Chiefs their second touchdown of the season scored by someone other than their offense. Dexter McCluster returned a punt 94 yards for a touchdown in last week’s win over San Diego.

That’s important to help a struggling offense, which Sunday generated only three Ryan Succop field goals.

“We’re going to have to score in some unconventional ways,” Chiefs coach Todd Haley said. “The thing I’m excited about is that we do have some playmakers in some of those spots that can do that. Part of us trying to become a good team will be being opportunistic. It looks like we’ve shown more ability to do that.”

Flowers’ touchdown highlighted a big Chiefs defensive effort. The Chiefs, who allowed 286 yards to Cleveland running back Jerome Harrison in last year’s loss to the Browns, limited Cleveland to 73 rushing yards.

Cleveland’s offensive production was mainly limited to two long pass plays, one a 65-yard pass from Wallace to Joshua Cribbs when the Chiefs were fooled by Wallace’s fake handoff on third and 1.

The other was a short pass that tight end Ben Watson turned into a 44-yard gain when he ran around Chiefs safety Eric Berry after making the catch. That play set up the Browns’ other touchdown.

Otherwise, the Chiefs smothered the Browns, who played without injured starting quarterback Jake Delhomme. Chiefs defensive coordinator Romeo Crennel, fired as Cleveland head coach two years ago, received a measure of revenge.

“He’s a very humble guy,” Flowers said. “He didn’t speak on it one time. But we knew deep down he wanted to come out here and get a win.”

Berry is the only significant playing addition to what last season was a lousy defense. While he allowed the big play to Watson and was fooled on Wallace’s fake handoff, Berry was a big factor in the run defense Sunday. He twice made tackles for a loss.

Crennel appears to be making a big impact as well.

“He just has everybody on defense believing,” Flowers said. “Whatever he calls, we just go out there knowing that’s the best call for this play.”

Flowers had a big game in the season opener against the Chargers, and repeated the performance against Cleveland.

He jumped a pass intended for Chansi Stuckey in the second quarter and was never threatened on his way to the end zone.

“We did a great job, the whole secondary, making the quarterback think we were in one coverage and we moved to a different coverage,” Flowers said. “When I saw the fullback break to the flat, I knew he was going to try to make a quick read. I didn’t think twice about it.

“Everybody just has to make the play when it presents itself. Whether it’s on special teams, when our returner gets a seam, he has to take it to the house. When a (defensive back) gets his hands on the ball, he has to come down with it.”

mdchiefsfan
09-20-2010, 12:48 AM
“We’re going to have to score in some unconventional ways,” Chiefs coach Todd Haley said. “The thing I’m excited about is that we do have some playmakers in some of those spots that can do that. Part of us trying to become a good team will be being opportunistic. It looks like we’ve shown more ability to do that.”

Could this be admittance that Cassel isn't the answer? Why else would we need scoring in unconventional ways? Maybe it's him saying he should start Charles more... but that's a reach.

Sweet Daddy Hate
09-20-2010, 01:04 AM
Clone B-Flow FTW.

Many, many, many WINS.

Demonpenz
09-20-2010, 06:51 AM
mr brightside

Slainte
09-20-2010, 06:55 AM
“We’re going to have to score in some unconventional ways,” Chiefs coach Todd Haley said.

Yeah, 'convention' ain't what it used to be, I guess...

SenselessChiefsFan
09-20-2010, 07:41 AM
As much as I don't think Cassel is a 'great' QB. I think the bigger issue right now is the lack of separation by our WR's. Bowe and Chambers are great big physical guys that can go up for the ball, but they just won't break any ankles and run free very often.

I give Cassel credit for throwing the ball up to them and letting them have a chance to make a play on the ball.

The interception was on Chambers. It was one on one coverage, and he has to make a play on the ball to at least keep the cb from coming down with it.

Again, not saying Cassel is great, but also realizing that he isn't the biggest weakness on the offense.

There is a reason Moeaki is his favorite target. He is the one who is actually getting open.

jrowe
09-20-2010, 08:20 AM
As much as I don't think Cassel is a 'great' QB. I think the bigger issue right now is the lack of separation by our WR's. Bowe and Chambers are great big physical guys that can go up for the ball, but they just won't break any ankles and run free very often.

I give Cassel credit for throwing the ball up to them and letting them have a chance to make a play on the ball.

The interception was on Chambers. It was one on one coverage, and he has to make a play on the ball to at least keep the cb from coming down with it.

Again, not saying Cassel is great, but also realizing that he isn't the biggest weakness on the offense.

There is a reason Moeaki is his favorite target. He is the one who is actually getting open.

There's a difference between being "open" and "wide open." Due to the routes being run, Moeaki is often "wide open," and his routes are underneath routes - normally much easier throws than the deep routes. So, it seems, when Moeaki is thrown to, he is either wide open or it presents a much easier throw. Contrast that with Chambers and Bowe.

They have been getting open, but Cassel has been slow in his reads, and the window to throw into closes by the time he sees them. This problem stems from the same issue as holding the ball too long - decision making. Cassel is slow in his reads and decision making. Additionally, he is reluctant to make the longer, more difficult throws even with open receivers.

I think it's pretty clear that he is the biggest weakness on our offense.

munkey
09-20-2010, 08:30 AM
There's a difference between being "open" and "wide open." Due to the routes being run, Moeaki is often "wide open," and his routes are underneath routes - normally much easier throws than the deep routes. So, it seems, when Moeaki is thrown to, he is either wide open or it presents a much easier throw. Contrast that with Chambers and Bowe.

They have been getting open, but Cassel has been slow in his reads, and the window to throw into closes by the time he sees them. This problem stems from the same issue as holding the ball too long - decision making. Cassel is slow in his reads and decision making. Additionally, he is reluctant to make the longer, more difficult throws even with open receivers.

I think it's pretty clear that he is the biggest weakness on our offense.

:clap:

right on the mark...rep

Sweet Daddy Hate
09-20-2010, 08:41 AM
:clap:

right on the mark...rep

No shit. So now it's "the receivers suck"? Look at what Carl did to the psyche of some of the fans of this franchise. It's like the fucking Stepford Wives or something.

Yes....it's the......"receivers inability to separate".....yeah.....THAT'S what it is.....

:facepalm:

Buehler445
09-20-2010, 08:51 AM
Steprford wives. Heh.
Posted via Mobile Device