PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Mellinger: Chiefs can’t keep winning if Cassel plays like this

Tribal Warfare
09-19-2010, 11:31 PM
Chiefs can’t keep winning if Cassel plays like this (http://www.kansascity.com/2010/09/19/2235508/chiefs-cant-keep-winning-if-cassel.html)
SAM MELLINGER COMMENTARY

CLEVELAND | This should be a happy column. These should be optimistic thoughts about one of the NFL’s surprise teams, because that’s what happens when the local team wins on the road and stands 2-0.

There’s plenty to smile about, too — particularly a surprising defense that should keep the Chiefs in most games. Yeah. This should be a happy story.

The Chiefs are one of only eight undefeated teams, and there’s been so little to cheer about lately. How could we even dare miss an opportunity? So if that’s how you want to look at it, good for you. Don’t let these words ruin your day.

But this success is entirely unsustainable in the short or long term as long as Matt Cassel continues to play quarterback like this.

“Winning’s winning,” he says.

That’s fine for today, and nobody should ever apologize for winning in the NFL. But good teams can’t consistently overcome shoddy quarterbacking either.

The short-term joy of being 2-0 after a 16-14 win over the Browns on Sunday is clouded by the long-term reality check that all the progress being made under coach Todd Haley and general manager Scott Pioli will mean bupkis if Cassel doesn’t improve.

Two games into his second season with the Chiefs, we’re still waiting for him to be effective. He completed just 16 of 28 passes for 176 yards with two interceptions and no touchdowns. His passer rating is now 55.8. No quarterback has started at least 12 games with a passer rating that low since Browning Nagle for the Jets in 1992.

Haley wrote off Cassel’s miserable season opener by referencing brutal conditions and an ultraconservative game plan. There was none of that Sunday, and Cassel led no touchdown drives against a defense that finished 31st last year.

The Chiefs’ only touchdown came on defense, and one of their three field goals was gift-wrapped when linebacker Mike Vrabel forced a fumble and the offense took over at the Browns’ 22.

Here’s a depressing sentence: The Chiefs have scored 13 points on 20 possessions that started on their half of the field this season.

And here’s the depressing context: Today’s NFL emphasizes the quarterback more than ever before, and the Chiefs have no viable Plan B if Cassel’s production doesn’t match their hopes.

Quarterbacks have always made the most money, and huge contracts to cornerbacks Nnamdi Asomugha of the Raiders and Darrelle Revis of the Jets are nods to the NFL’s growing tilt toward the passing game.

Last year, the teams with the league’s top six passers went 72-24. Teams with the league’s top six rushers went 46-50. The references about Trent Dilfer being good enough for the Ravens in 2000 are as outdated as fears about the Y2K bug.

And if not Cassel, then who? What alternative would the Chiefs have? We’ve seen Brodie Croyle. Cassel wouldn’t bring much in a trade. He’s due a roster bonus of $7 million in March, which is before the draft or free-agency, so the options would be limited.

The Chiefs are like a lot of teams in need of a better quarterback. But with a few exceptions — most prominently the Jets — none of them is a serious Super Bowl contender.

Cassel’s teammates say nice things, of course. Thomas Jones talked about Cassel’s poise in the huddle, Chris Chambers complimented Cassel’s reads, and Haley said “I’m very proud of him.”

And it’s important to recognize that Cassel played significantly better in the second half on Sunday — eight for 12 for 116 yards. You can explain away his interceptions, too. One was deflected, and the other was a deep pass that Chambers says he should have kept away from the defensive back.

But nobody can think the Chiefs will continue to win with an offense that is essentially killing time between big plays by the defense and special teams.

Last year, Cassel’s struggles were justifiably excused by the lack of talent around him. His receivers could still do a better job than we’ve seen so far, but there are enough parts around Cassel to expect better production.

Charlie Weis says his No. 1 job is to “fix” Cassel, and however this goes, those words may define his time in Kansas City the way his “decided schematic advantage” line defined his years at Notre Dame.

The Chiefs’ first two games have given us more reasons to cheer than groan. They could be one of the league’s best rushing teams. Tony Moeaki looks like a budding star. The defense is vastly improved.

We know the Chiefs are making progress. They’re on their way to answering so many of the questions we had entering this season.

It’s just that they’re a long ways from answering the most important one.

Sure-Oz
09-19-2010, 11:37 PM
Mellinger is so damn smart

cdcox
09-19-2010, 11:39 PM
Not a bad column.

SNR
09-19-2010, 11:39 PM
Nothing we haven't talked about already, but well written. Good to see it in the KC Star, too, instead of Teicher's "Chiefs are counting on Matt Cassel as their starter at QB for 2010"

tk13
09-19-2010, 11:43 PM
I posted this in a couple other threads... of the four first place AFC teams, Houston's offense has obviously done well. The other three undefeated teams, KC, Pitt, and Miami... they've scored a combined 5 offensive touchdowns in two weeks. That's pretty amazing.

Shag
09-19-2010, 11:43 PM
Here’s a depressing sentence: The Chiefs have scored 13 points on 20 possessions that started on their half of the field this season.

:eek:

I knew it was bad, but I hadn't realized we'd started that many drives in opposing territory...

stevieray
09-20-2010, 12:17 AM
there's no guarantee he'll keep playing like this.

the upside is the team is finding ways to stay in and finish games, despite the lack of great QB play.

DaneMcCloud
09-20-2010, 12:19 AM
there's no guarantee he'll keep playing like this.

He'll get worse?

:D

tthe upside is the team is finding ways to stay in and finish games, despite the lack of great QB play.

Absolutely. This offseason has been, by far, the best since 2001.

And what makes it even better is that they've acquired young players that are making massive contributions, as opposed to players with a very limited shelf time.

Good times are ahead.

'Hamas' Jenkins
09-20-2010, 12:21 AM
Let's give him a participation ribbon along with his $60 million.

BIG_DADDY
09-20-2010, 12:25 AM
Gee, sure would have been nice if we had picked up Vick for nothing. Wait, I think I said that before.

DaneMcCloud
09-20-2010, 12:27 AM
Gee, sure would have been nice if we had picked up Vick for nothing. Wait, I think I said that before.

As much as I would have liked to have seen Vick with the Chiefs, there was never a chance it would happen.

Never, ever, ever.

BIG_DADDY
09-20-2010, 12:31 AM
As much as I would have liked to have seen Vick with the Chiefs, there was never a chance it would happen.

Never, ever, ever.

Unfortunately I agree.

BillSelfsTrophycase
09-20-2010, 12:40 AM
File this in the 'no shit sherlock' circular can

stevieray
09-20-2010, 12:44 AM
He'll get worse?

:D

no, unless he loses the team, then he's done. i think he can only go up, due to the atmosphere and identity being established...if he doesn't respond, and quickly find his way in Weis' system (3rd in two years), he's gone..this train is moving and just like Haley said, you're getting better or worse..contrary to popular belief, I just don't get the feeling they'll tolerate subpar play..they're making players ascend...on the flip side, there is no future QB on this team, which would make one believe they think it's him...still wouldn't surrpise me to watch Haley draft and start a rook QB, if Cassel crashes and burns.

that's a ton of pressure. I hope he can pull it off, 'cause it would be great story, and they would be finally developing their own QB..I just honestly don't know if it will happen.

SNR
09-20-2010, 12:47 AM
no, unless he loses the team, then he's done. i think he can only go up, due to the atmosphere and identity being established...if he doesn't respond, and quickly find his way in Weis' system (3rd in two years), he's gone..this train is moving and just like Haley said, you're getting better or worse..contrary to popular belief, I just don't get the feeling they'll tolerate subpar play..they're making players ascend...on the flip side, there is no future QB on this team, which would make one believe they think it's him...still wouldn't surrpise me to watch Haley draft and start a rook QB, if Cassel crashes and burns.

that's a ton of pressure. I hope he can pull it off, 'cause it would be great story, and they would be finally developing their own QB..I just honestly don't know if it will happen.If that counts as "developing their own QB" then the Chiefs successfully developed Elvis Grbac, too.

BossChief
09-20-2010, 12:52 AM
If we draft a qb, we should sign a vet to start for one year.

The only one I would be ok with starting early on would be Luck, but he is gonna stay through next year according to him...even if he did come out in this draft, we wouldn't be in a position to draft him unless we mortgaged our future to trade up. Which I would be ok with doing.

1st
2nd
3rd

and we get Lucky...

Sweet Daddy Hate
09-20-2010, 12:55 AM
Nothing we haven't talked about already, but well written. Good to see it in the KC Star, too, instead of Teicher's "Chiefs are counting on Matt Cassel as their starter at QB for 2010"

Spot-on, SNR. The beating of the horse has expanded well beyond teh Planet, and the cage WILL BE rattled all the way up the stairs to baldy's office as it damned well should be.

The smiles, indifference, pleasant words, and overall horseshit will not remain standing for long.

Hey Scott? Do you want to win a Championship sooner rather than later, or do you want to stroke your Egoli all the way to the curb after cleaning your desk out?

jAZ
09-20-2010, 01:03 AM
Matt Cassel had a 97.9 QB rating in the 2nd half of today's game.

chiefzilla1501
09-20-2010, 01:05 AM
If we draft a qb, we should sign a vet to start for one year.

The only one I would be ok with starting early on would be Luck, but he is gonna stay through next year according to him...even if he did come out in this draft, we wouldn't be in a position to draft him unless we mortgaged our future to trade up. Which I would be ok with doing.

1st
2nd
3rd

and we get Lucky...

Agreed. Some guys I'd look at would be Pennington, Shaun Hill, or Tarvaris Jackson. None of those guys are exciting. But if you want a 1-2 year veteran stopgap, that's the best you're going to get. I'm not a big Vick fan, but I suppose that wouldn't be bad either.

Meanwhile, you have to use your #1 pick on a QB. I'd even trade up. No excuses.

Sweet Daddy Hate
09-20-2010, 01:07 AM
Agreed. Some guys I'd look at would be Pennington, Shaun Hill, or Tarvaris Jackson. None of those guys are exciting. But if you want a 1-2 year veteran stopgap, that's the best you're going to get. I'm not a big Vick fan, but I suppose that wouldn't be bad either.

Meanwhile, you have to use your #1 pick on a QB. I'd even trade up. No excuses.

:clap:
I like where your head's at these days, 'Zilla.

Fat Elvis
09-20-2010, 01:08 AM
You know your QB sucks when one of the guys your front office brought in for leadership can only muster the compliment, "Well, he's poised in the huddle...."

Hog Farmer
09-20-2010, 01:14 AM
Croyle will be starting after our bye week.

KCrockaholic
09-20-2010, 01:15 AM

lol way to look at the glass half full.

johnny961
09-20-2010, 01:21 AM

Yeah he did look better the 2nd half. But the level of inconsistency he has shown is unacceptable. He has to be able to play like he did the 2nd half on at least a somewhat consistent basis.

lcarus
09-20-2010, 01:47 AM
Spot-on, SNR. The beating of the horse has expanded well beyond teh Planet, and the cage WILL BE rattled all the way up the stairs to baldy's office as it damned well should be.

The smiles, indifference, pleasant words, and overall horseshit will not remain standing for long.

Hey Scott? Do you want to win a Championship sooner rather than later, or do you want to stroke your Egoli all the way to the curb after cleaning your desk out?

Luckily, in the NFL, GMs can give up on a "franchise QB" real real quick. Look at JaMarcus. We just gotta hope the same is true with Pioli.

'Hamas' Jenkins
09-20-2010, 01:57 AM
Look, regardless of what you may think of Jimmy Clausen, the fact that we passed him up at #36 when he was going to get a peanuts first contract, after he received a personal endorsement from Charlie Weis, not only for us to draft him, but to multiple other teams (including the Panthers as well), should tell you all you need to know about Pioli. He has hitched his wagon completely to Matt Cassel, and barring injury, you aren't going to see a new starting QB here until 2013-2014.

Sweet Daddy Hate
09-20-2010, 02:06 AM
Look, regardless of what you may think of Jimmy Clausen, the fact that we passed him up at #36 when he was going to get a peanuts first contract, after he received a personal endorsement from Charlie Weis, not only for us to draft him, but to multiple other teams (including the Panthers as well), should tell you all you need to know about Pioli. He has hitched his wagon completely to Matt Cassel, and barring injury, you aren't going to see a new starting QB here until 2013-2014.

Did he HAVE to show support and give Cassel at least a second year to succeed or fail, and to coerce the rest of the organization to follow suit?

Yes.

Completely hitched to a fucking retard for six years when the rest of the team is growing and improving, and when Cassel could "Forest Gump" this team at truly critical juncture with a playoff victory on the line?

I don't buy it for a minute, unless Pioli is as big of a fuckstick as Carl Peterson.

'Hamas' Jenkins
09-20-2010, 02:10 AM
Cassel is going to improve just enough that he'll put up an 18-12 TD and 3000 yard type year. When that happens, he'll get his stamp of approval for the forseeable future.

He's a bad QB, but he's not as bad as he's played the last two weeks. He's just good enough to get this team into purgatory.

Sweet Daddy Hate
09-20-2010, 02:14 AM
Cassel is going to improve just enough that he'll put up an 18-12 TD and 3000 yard type year. When that happens, he'll get his stamp of approval for the forseeable future.

He's a bad QB, but he's not as bad as he's played the last two weeks. He's just good enough to get this team into purgatory.

I just can't bring myself to believe that Pioli desires "True Fan Nirvana"/"asses in the seats as the ultimate goal" for his desired end result and legacy of tenure.

But...we'll see.

SNR
09-20-2010, 02:15 AM
Look, regardless of what you may think of Jimmy Clausen, the fact that we passed him up at #36 when he was going to get a peanuts first contract, after he received a personal endorsement from Charlie Weis, not only for us to draft him, but to multiple other teams (including the Panthers as well), should tell you all you need to know about Pioli. He has hitched his wagon completely to Matt Cassel, and barring injury, you aren't going to see a new starting QB here until 2013-2014.After reading this post, I just added the 24-hour Community Suicide Prevention to my speed dial on my cell phone. Just in case.

Sweet Daddy Hate
09-20-2010, 02:16 AM
After reading this post, I just added the 24-hour Community Suicide Prevention to my speed dial on my cell phone. Just in case.

LMAO

'Hamas' Jenkins
09-20-2010, 02:19 AM
I just can't bring myself to believe that Pioli desires "True Fan Nirvana"/"asses in the seats as the ultimate goal" for his desired end result and legacy of tenure.

But...we'll see.

It's not that he desires mediocrity. I think he honestly believes that Matt Cassel can win this team a Super Bowl.

johnny961
09-20-2010, 02:26 AM

I don't see this happening. I think Pioli is 100% committed to Cassel, whether we like it or not. And, even if the switch is made at some point, I don't feel too good about Croyle, either. A couple of good hard hits and he's out for the season. Too injury prone. The QB position needs to be a high priority this offseason. Whether it actually will be or not is another story.

keg in kc
09-20-2010, 02:32 AM
Cassel is going to improve just enough that he'll put up an 18-12 TD and 3000 yard type year. When that happens, he'll get his stamp of approval for the forseeable future. To hit 3000 yards, he'd have to average, what, 200 yards a week from this point on? How likely is that? I don't know the numbers, but I'd bet he's hasn't hit 200 in half his starts in KC. That kind of production would be a pretty marked improvement.

It will work itself out. They won't keep getting return TDs, so they won't keep winning games this way. Either he picks it up and plays like an NFL QB, or this is a 6-win team, in which case we're not waiting for 2013 for his replacement.

Hug it Out Dan
09-20-2010, 03:30 AM
Its a combination of many things is to why Cassel and our passing game sucks dick.

Matt Cassel:
He had one of the NFL's best offenses in 2008 surrounding him and while he helped NE go 11-5, he was also the most sacked QB in the NFL that year. So what does that tell you? It means his pocket awareness is just awful and he holds onto the ball too long. Let's not forget he hasn't exactly had a lot of "live" in game playing experience dating all the way back to his senior year in HS. In college he sat behind Palmer and Leinart at USC, may have played some garbage time in college...BFD. Then he comes into the NFL and sits behind Tom Brady. When Pollard knocked Brady out it was Cassel's first game starting since HS. Add that to the fact that his god given abilities aren't great at all. He's terribly inaccurate. He has a weak arm, slow release, poor footwork, and just overall looks confused as hell in the pocket. Why we TRADED for this guy I don't even have a clue.

Coaching Staff:
It's only week 2, Charlie Weis was supposed to come in and "fix the QB" fix the QB really means "play to Matt's strengths which are (crickets churping). The coaches have to see this. They're not ****ing stupid, what they say to media is coach speak and I doubt any KC coach or player is going to come out and say "Well we have problems at QB". Anyways, the coaches see this so what/how does KC gameplan around that? Well, they know he can't throw deep by any considerable measure, so we're left with a run-first conservative game plan. Which I'm fine w/ running the ball, and I'm sure most people on here agree as the RB's and running game seem to be a strength on this team. But it sometimes it gets to the point where you become predictable and defenses start to cheat up and not respect a certain point of your offense. This creates problems and eventually you end up having a lot of 3 and outs. The stat where we've only scored 13 pts when starting in opponents territory 20 times is just ****in sickening. I honestly think the coaches know what they have in Cassel, and they also don't want to risk him turning the ball over. This team is not loaded by any means, we have no depth, we can't afford to get injured, nor can we afford to get behind a lot in games. We all really know who's in charge (Pioli). Sadly Cassel is his guy, and I don't forsee a QB change anytime soon (at least this season). Things are more consistant now, we have a good (SB credited) coaching staff w/ stability. It's sink or swim w/ Cassel. Trent Green was considerably better his 2nd season as a Chief after a disasterous 2001 season. To be honest I expect similar results from Cassel this season. If not we need to move on because I have a feeling this team is gelling and gelling fast, we're going to be a very good football team in a couple years, we can't have a QB, the most important position in the game, holding this team down. (Usually) teams w/ good QB's are the ones that most consistantly win in this league.

WR's:
Chiefs led the NFL last season in dropped passes. That won't be the case this season. While our WR's aren't great by any means, they're not terrible either. KC lacks a true deep threat, which I guess doesn't matter because Cassel wouldn't be able to get it to him since he sucks and has a ****in noodle arm. KC failed miserably by not offering up one of 3 of their 5th rounders to the Steelers for Santonio Holmes. Yeah so he's suspended for the first 4 games, who ****ing cares? I would say that our WR's have trouble getting open which is why Cassel holds onto the ball really long, but then you have to think about his time in NE where even then was still sacked more than anyone in the league. We added some talent and probably (I would think) will continue to add talent at that position. McCluster is a weapon, can break one to the house as we all know, but he's extremely small, only 5'7 and 180 dripping wet and he probably will only line up at WR for a handful (5-10) of snaps a game, and I hope Moeaki can stay healthy as he's a candidate for best Brodie Croyle impression. Pope is a big target but he sucks. Chambers is getting old, he's not a long term answer by any means, he will be slower than dogshit by the time his contract is up here. Bowe obviously is the best WR we have. He's probably not a true #1 nor will he ever be IMO. But with our running game and some new faces, Cassel shouldn't have any excuses for not being able to get the passing game going. He's getting all the time he needs from the Oline (surprisingly) to throw the ball downfield, and he shits the bed.

I just hope we go after a QB next season in the draft.

Messier
09-20-2010, 05:07 AM
I just think the Chiefs won't draft a QB, to start anyway, next season because by then I think they'll expect to contend, and thats hard with a rookie. If they really feel it won't happen with Matt, I think they'll trade, or go to FA for one.

Pushead2
09-20-2010, 05:27 AM
Cassel better step the fuck up....plain & simple.

SenselessChiefsFan
09-20-2010, 06:36 AM

Where did I miss Weis' personal endorsement?

suds79
09-20-2010, 06:50 AM
Cassel better step the **** up....plain & simple.

Well I'm telling you now that you can throw that plan out the window.

For him to step up indicates that he hasn't been brining his A game. I don't think that's the case. I think Matt is trying the best he can.

He's just simply not good enough. I don't think he's quick through his progressions, he holds onto the ball to long and he's not accurate. What more is there to say?

siberian khatru
09-20-2010, 06:54 AM
Gotta love some of the True Fans comments to this on the Star site.

"Be patient! Terry Bradshaw stunk his first two years, too!"

suds79
09-20-2010, 06:57 AM
Gotta love some of the True Fans comments to this on the Star site.

"Be patient! Terry Bradshaw stunk his first two years, too!"

:doh!:

Seriouisly? Wow. Some people just have blind faith as long as you're wearing Red & Gold.

Last year it was the no weapons and several "Trent Green had a bad 1st year also."

Maybe we should get ahead of this. Who's a QB to struggle for 3 years and them finally make it? I'm guessing we'll hear his name next year if Matt is still around.

Coogs
09-20-2010, 07:04 AM
This came for the other article at the Star posted here on the front page. I think it says a lot about what Haley thinks of Cassel...

Coach Todd Haley said after the Chiefs’ 16-14 victory Sunday — an unsightly, occasionally nauseating kind of thing — that this is the way his team will have to win. With defense, with special teams, and with luck. ...

Haley said he came to terms with it weeks ago, that the Chiefs aren’t likely to dominate teams and will have to be sharper than their opponents. Players are beginning to understand now. Kansas City’s offense is perhaps the weakest part of a young and improving team, and it will occasionally need help.

Ralphy Boy
09-20-2010, 07:09 AM

Certainly not a fan, but it was good to see him make some plays when he had to. As I've heard it said on here a few times "thats what the good ones do and I don't care what his stats are".

My guess as well.

Pioli Zombie
09-20-2010, 07:16 AM
This is all pretty stupid. If Cassel continues to suck he will be cut before the bonus kicks in in March. The Chiefs aren't going to win the Super Bowl this year so why not enjoy the fact that after losing 28 of 30, they have won 6 of the last 13 and their last 3 games. Their defense and running game looks really good. Things are definately moving in the right direction. I'm all for giving Croyle the keys as there are no more excuses for Cassel, but its really beating a dead horse at this point. Wailing and gnashing of teeth about 2013 and 2014 is moronic. There will be new qbs in KC next year and beyond.

Consistent1
09-20-2010, 07:24 AM
Where did I miss Weis' personal endorsement?

This is a good point. I am not sure there was a whole bunch of "can't miss" stuff coming from Weis in regard to Clausen. It may have just been ignored, but who knows for sure what went on there? At the same time, all of the first three picks we got look like they will not only stick around for awhile, but they will make some other teams take notice in various ways. The team is in decent shape being 2-0. Some disagree, but I am glad they haven't pounded Charles to get there. He should really come on at some point IMO. The D is looking good. We already got SD once, and even if Mathews is ok they still may have RB issues. Oakland doesn't look as promising as some of us thought, Denver is Denver. This isn't a bad situation, but we have to get some offense going. The chance to get in the playoffs is way more real than I would have thought even if luck has been part of the start. There isn't any reason to root against Cassel, but he sure doesn't show much. At least the rest of the team is carrying the situation enough to give Cassel a chance to make progress. That doesn't mean it will happen, but the worst we could be is 2-1 after the next game. That ain't bad.

FRCDFED
09-20-2010, 08:06 AM
Bring in Garcia and put an end to this BS. Watch the offense improve remarkably!!

This train wreck for a QB is getting old!!

notorious
09-20-2010, 08:10 AM

Noooooooooo!

We have all did more then our fair share of time in "Football Purgatory". It's time to go to Heaven.

KC Jones
09-20-2010, 08:10 AM
Jeff Garcia is 40 years old. He would be an improvement... maybe. So would a lot of guys, but on the other side of 40 football players tend to have a precipitous decline. I'd rather we had someone we might be able to count on for 4-5 years at a minimum.

FRCDFED
09-20-2010, 08:13 AM
Jeff Garcia is 40 years old. He would be an improvement... maybe. So would a lot of guys, but on the other side of 40 football players tend to have a precipitous decline. I'd rather we had someone we might be able to count on for 4-5 years at a minimum.

We don't need a stop gap if there's no-one in the pipe. If we are going to just play our best with what we have and deal with the QB position later then I would much prefer Garcia over Cassell. Plus we would get him at a fraction of the cost. Garcia is a GAMER that is vocal and will call out others around him if they don't step up. The ball is where it is supposed to be and the receivers have to make plays! I'll take Garcia at 40 any day over Cassell!

Reerun_KC
09-20-2010, 08:19 AM
Jeff Garcia?

Bawahahahahahaha.... IF he is so freaking amazing, why isnt he playing somewhere? Dude, Garcia isnt going to make this team any better... That broke dick is done. KC isnt going to go out and sign him, bench Cassel and insert him into the starters role...

FRCDFED
09-20-2010, 08:22 AM
Jeff Garcia?

Bawahahahahahaha.... IF he is so freaking amazing, why isnt he playing somewhere? Dude, Garcia isnt going to make this team any better... That broke dick is done. KC isnt going to go out and sign him, bench Cassel and insert him into the starters role...Ummmm...yeah...show me some stat line that says Garcia isn't better. Just because of his age? Please. Last I heard was that he wasn't playing because he wanted to be a starter. He has been a winner everywhere he has been! Stop drinking the water wherever you live!

FRCDFED
09-20-2010, 08:26 AM
Also...let's not turn this into a "Garcia is a god" thread. He is simply better than Cassell; will make a lot less; and is available. It is sad that he may be our best option but he is better than what we have. No way you can justify Cassells trade/contract at this point. To try would be meaningless.

Reerun_KC
09-20-2010, 08:27 AM
Ummmm...yeah...show me some stat line that says Garcia isn't better. Just because of his age? Please. Last I heard was that he wasn't playing because he wanted to be a starter. He has been a winner everywhere he has been! Stop drinking the water wherever you live!

He can want in one hand and shit in the other... I dont like Cassel just as much as the rest of us... Hell after yesterdays abortion of a game, I am starting to feel the same way about Weis and his pathetic attempt to coordinate an NFL game.

Regardless if Garcia wants to be a starter or not. Its not happening. No way will they bring in someone like Garcia, its just not reality...

Please stop wasting oxygen where your are....

Sweet Daddy Hate
09-20-2010, 08:29 AM
It's not that he desires mediocrity. I think he honestly believes that Matt Cassel can win this team a Super Bowl.

Well now you're just talking crazy, Ren.

http://media.giantbomb.com/uploads/0/5768/542398-stimpy_large.jpg

Reerun_KC
09-20-2010, 08:29 AM
Also...let's not turn this into a "Garcia is a god" thread. He is simply better than Cassell; will make a lot less; and is available. It is sad that he may be our best option but he is better than what we have. No way you can justify Cassells trade/contract at this point. To try would be meaningless.

Nobody is trying to justify anything Cassel.... Dude blows... He might be better than Cassel, but he wont be taking a snap on the field for the KC Chiefs this year.

dallaschiefsfan
09-20-2010, 09:15 AM
Technically, Mellinger is correct...we can't "keep on winning"...but even if Cassel was Joe Montana, odds are that we would not "keep on winning". But understanding the spirit of what he's writing, I must tragically and categorically disagree...

The fact is, we might not win games againts good teams (Colts, etc), we just might be good enough to find messy ways to win the AFC west and make the playoffs. But we willl get shattered in the first round because...yes...our QB will expose us.

This is the rub...progress will be declared if we win the West...but will they take the next step? I think they will. However, I see no reason why the Chiefs won't keep on winning the games that are winnable the same way they've won the first two.

Plus, weather is only going to get worse, eventually. All it takes is a great December in the West.

BigMeatballDave
09-20-2010, 10:22 AM
It's not that he desires mediocrity. I think he honestly believes that Matt Cassel can win this team a Super Bowl.I dont think he believes that at all. He saw Cassel play well 2 seasons ago and thinks he can catch lightening in a bottle. Now, if Cassel continues to play like ass, and they keep him around next season without signing viable competition, then Pioli may delusional.

DeezNutz
09-20-2010, 10:31 AM
However, I see no reason why the Chiefs won't keep on winning the games that are winnable the same way they've won the first two.

I'm not betting on defensive and ST touchdowns. We need a viable offense. To this end, Petro just said that he sees a lot of the Marty-era Chiefs in our current team (solid special teams and defense, minimal offense).

Sweet. Fire up that Q!

gblowfish
09-20-2010, 10:36 AM
DeBerg, Jaworski, Kreig, Moon, Bono, Gannon, Montana, Grbac, Green, Collins, Cassel....
Anybody see a pattern here?

dallaschiefsfan
09-20-2010, 10:40 AM
I'm not betting on defensive and ST touchdowns. We need a viable offense. To this end, Petro just said that he sees a lot of the Marty-era Chiefs in our current team (solid special teams and defense, minimal offense).

Sweet. Fire up that Q!

Sure...I have no doubt that the ST/D might fail either occassional or regularly. However, I just don't think Mellenger is correct in assuming the Chiefs can't win regular season games without Cassel getting better. Of course they can...and they just might. And hopefully any such wins won't prevent us from addressing QB next off-season.

DeezNutz
09-20-2010, 10:44 AM
Sure...I have no doubt that the ST/D might fail either occassional or regularly. However, I just don't think Mellenger is correct in assuming the Chiefs can't win regular season games without Cassel getting better. Of course they can...and they just might. And hopefully any such wins won't prevent us from addressing QB next off-season.

He's averaging, what?, a QB rating of around 55? How many games can one reasonably expect to get with that level of production at the most important position on the field?

Hey, I understand your point. But winning games with this formula is a stretch, at best.

boogblaster
09-20-2010, 10:44 AM
is he saying our quarterback sucks

Mr. Arrowhead
09-20-2010, 10:50 AM
wow way to go all adam teicher on us Mellinger

dallaschiefsfan
09-20-2010, 10:52 AM
He's averaging, what?, a QB rating of around 55? How many games can one reasonably expect to get with that level of production at the most important position on the field?

Hey, I understand your point. But winning games with this formula is a stretch, at best.

Yeah...I just think the home-run threat of some of our guys is exactly what might cover for Cassel's deficiencies. Plus a weak over-all schedule means that our weak QB might beat other teams' average QB half the time because of our playmakers.

Plus, Berry will probably figure things out about half way through the season...and that could add another playmaker to the mix (I'm talking passing game, here...he's already shown he can hit guys in the running game).

As stated before...the QB will always be exposed in the post season. Trent Dilfer was the exception...and let's be honest...he was better than Cassel and their D was MUCH better than ours.

Tuckdaddy
09-20-2010, 10:54 AM

All of you fugging high! Garcia? get the fugg outta here with that bullshit.

Tuckdaddy
09-20-2010, 10:55 AM
A game manager at best at QB and slow non threatening WR's are the reason this offense is nothing.

Sweet Daddy Hate
09-20-2010, 11:01 AM
A game manager at best at QB and slow non threatening WR's are the reason this offense is nothing.

Okay, you can STOP with the wide-outs as an excuse right this instant.

Thx!

King_Chief_Fan
09-20-2010, 11:02 AM
All of you fugging high! Garcia? get the fugg outta here with that bullshit.

I think he means Jeff George...right Whitlock? ROFL

38yrsfan
09-20-2010, 11:10 AM
What Cassel needs is a heart-to-heart chat with those Chiefs that like winning and think unkindly of poor performances.

The subjects could be suggestions on techniques for gathering personal excrement in a centralized location and more importantly to convince him to curtail his search for the source of flatulence using a spelunking methodology.

Deberg_1990
09-20-2010, 11:12 AM
I posted this in a couple other threads... of the four first place AFC teams, Houston's offense has obviously done well. The other three undefeated teams, KC, Pitt, and Miami... they've scored a combined 5 offensive touchdowns in two weeks. That's pretty amazing.

What about Tampa?

kaplin42
09-20-2010, 11:30 AM

I'm definately no Cassel fan, but what is the love affair some of you have with Croyle?

We have been down that road, several times, and it has never ended well. Croyle is not, nor has he ever been a capable QB, let alone the QB of the future.

Stop with it already.

We need a QB, I would love for us to draft one next season. A top rated QB that will give this team a chance.

Rausch
09-20-2010, 11:46 AM
I'm definately no Cassel fan, but what is the love affair some of you have with Croyle?

We have been down that road, several times, and it has never ended well. Croyle is not, nor has he ever been a capable QB, let alone the QB of the future.

Stop with it already.

We need a QB, I would love for us to draft one next season. A top rated QB that will give this team a chance.

I agree.

My only point is that if we're going to have a $3itbag at QB go with the one who's making peanuts and not the guy making top 15 QB money...

kaplin42
09-20-2010, 11:51 AM
I agree.

My only point is that if we're going to have a $3itbag at QB go with the one who's making peanuts and not the guy making top 15 QB money...

At this point, not much we can do about it for the season. But dumping his gimp ass before the roster bonus would be awesome. And hopefully, a new CBA gets worked out that has rookie salary caps. So even if we do take a high round QB, we won't have to sell anyone's first born for them.

Rausch
09-20-2010, 12:01 PM
At this point, not much we can do about it for the season. But dumping his gimp ass before the roster bonus would be awesome. And hopefully, a new CBA gets worked out that has rookie salary caps. So even if we do take a high round QB, we won't have to sell anyone's first born for them.

I hate to give the Raiturds any credit but they didn't look at it that way. They benched the guy they touted all offseason as the savior and when he didn't get it done they made a statement and benched his ass.

I'd love to see Cassel benched for a game or demoted like Bowe was...

Count Alex's Losses
09-20-2010, 12:05 PM
Mellinger finally grows some balls and he's off the mark. ROFL

Cassel made plays to win the game in the second half.

Fish
09-20-2010, 12:10 PM
I didn't think Cassel was nearly as bad this game. Several times he progressed through at least 2 receivers, and even looked past 10 yards a couple times. He made several plays that surprised me. Some decent throws on the run. He's still a long long way from serviceable though. His pocket presence frustrates the fuck out of me.

Reaper16
09-20-2010, 12:11 PM

He's not off-the-mark at all. Cassel turning in performances where he's dreadful in the first half, and competent on an average level in the second is not sustainable.

Rausch
09-20-2010, 12:12 PM
He's still a long long way from serviceable though. His pocket presence frustrates the **** out of me.

Yup.

I'm not worried about arm strength. Montana was never a cannon arm and even guys like Gannon found ways to be very productive.

But you have to be able to feel the pressure and be accurate with passes...

Rausch
09-20-2010, 12:15 PM
He's not off-the-mark at all. Cassel turning in performances where he's dreadful in the first half, and competent on an average level in the second is not sustainable.

Exactly.

If all we expected was one good half of play we could have just stuck with Thigpen and saved the money...

Fish
09-20-2010, 12:26 PM
Cassel was on 810 this morning though. And it's clear that he will never ever admit anything negative about himself. He justified his poor performance in the MNF game by saying the coaches intentionally wanted him to hold back on passing and not put up big numbers. But the way he said it and the tone of voice just made me want to stab him in the face. He was in complete denial about anything critical of his performance in either game. Almost defensive about it. He was asked about the criticism from the fans and media, and he again said he didn't listen or care.

kaplin42
09-20-2010, 12:27 PM

Ehhh, i wouldn't go that far.

He came out and actually played in the second half sure, but all in all, Cassel didn't help the Chiefs score.

But just for the sake of argument, let's say that he did come out and win it in the second half. You're saying that it's a good thing, and that it's ok if Cassel takes the first half off in every game as long as he pretends to be a QB in the second half? What about when we play a team that isn't as much of a fail as we are.

Seriously man, we beat the Browns, by 2 points. Think about that. The Browns, consistently one of the worst teams in the NFL, we couldn't score an offensive touchdown against. And you think because Cassel came out and completed a few gimp passes in the second half he won the game?

Wait till we play a team that actually has an offense. While our D is much, much better than it has been in seasons past, it is still not top 10 I don’t think. And with our offense going 3 and out every series, the D is only going to get worn out faster. Cassel needs to play from the starting whistle to the finishing whistle, or he needs to sit the fuck down.

Rausch
09-20-2010, 12:28 PM
Cassel was on 810 this morning though. And it's clear that he will never ever admit anything negative about himself. He justified his poor performance in the MNF game by saying the coaches intentionally wanted him to hold back on passing and not put up big numbers. But the way he said it and the tone of voice just made me want to stab him in the face. He was in complete denial about anything critical of his performance in either game. Almost defensive about it. He was asked about the criticism from the fans and media, and he again said he didn't listen or care.

"The fans? FUCK 'EM!

A'M CAKE'N PAHT'NA!1!"

SNR
09-20-2010, 12:56 PM
Cassel was on 810 this morning though. And it's clear that he will never ever admit anything negative about himself. He justified his poor performance in the MNF game by saying the coaches intentionally wanted him to hold back on passing and not put up big numbers. But the way he said it and the tone of voice just made me want to stab him in the face. He was in complete denial about anything critical of his performance in either game. Almost defensive about it. He was asked about the criticism from the fans and media, and he again said he didn't listen or care.He's a shitbag. There's that post-game locker room interview on kcchiefs.com. Kept saying "a win is a win" and all that. When asked about what they have to improve on to beat San Francisco next week, he said "We gotta cut down on our mistakes. We turned the ball over twice today and that's not good. We gotta work on taking care of the ball when we go up against that talented defense."

I was paraphrasing there, but I specifically remember the "we" when talking about the turnovers. Hell, the least he could've done is said "interceptions." But no.

HEY MATT. YOU THREW THOSE TWO "TURNOVERS." MAYBE YOU ARE THE ONE WHO SHOULD WORK ON TAKING CARE OF THE BALL, ASSHOLE

FAX
09-20-2010, 01:01 PM
The Cassel hate is strong in this one.

It's clear that the o-line is not providing sufficient protection giving Cassel the full 2 to 3 minutes he needs to make a throwing decision.

By the way, I guess Nicewanger has totally lost his job, huh?

FAX

DeezNutz
09-20-2010, 01:06 PM

LMAO.

Coaches intentionally did not want me throwing TD passes because we needed to get other players involved. /Cassel

Count Alex's Losses
09-20-2010, 01:09 PM
I'm willing to accept baby steps from Cassel at this point.

Just because he had a lousy first half doesn't mean he's going to come out and do that every game.

I saw progress in that second half. He made three or four really nice throws past 15 yards.

Keep it up.

DeezNutz
09-20-2010, 01:13 PM
I love Cassel. What's not to like?

He has the personality of Bono and the skill set of a Tyler Thigpen's less fortunate brother.

Count Alex's Losses
09-20-2010, 01:14 PM
2-0

suck it

DeezNutz
09-20-2010, 01:17 PM
Suck what?

Players with an average QB rating (this year) of 57.0 don't have anything to suck.

DeezNutz
Suck what?

Players with an average QB rating (this year) of 57.0 don't have anything to suck.

Marcellus

Just because he had a lousy first half doesn't mean he's going to come out and do that every game.

I saw progress in that second half. He made three or four really nice throws past 15 yards.

Keep it up.

He was his typical self. Infuriating mostly and made some nice plays at times.

Watching Cassel play QB is like masturbating with a cheese grater, slightly amusing but mostly painful.

Count Alex's Losses
09-20-2010, 01:22 PM
He was his typical self. Infuriating mostly and made some nice plays at times.

Bullcrap. He was 8-12 for 116 yards.

This preseason that would have taken 20 completions.

Messier
09-20-2010, 01:23 PM

When will Cassel admit what we all know, that he sucks! The sooner he does that, the sooner he can accept what he is and voluntarily cut himself from the team.

DeezNutz
09-20-2010, 01:24 PM
Watching Cassel play QB is like masturbating with a cheese grater, slightly amusing but mostly painful.

Draftabulator?

FAX
09-20-2010, 01:24 PM
Graturbator.

FAX

Marcellus
09-20-2010, 01:26 PM
Bullcrap. He was 8-12 for 116 yards.

This preseason that would have taken 20 completions.

I was just pointing out how maddening he can be. The way the 1st half went I was praying they bench him.

Then he comes out and plays pretty well.

Marcellus
09-20-2010, 01:27 PM
Graturbator.

FAX

LMAO

Sweet Daddy Hate
09-20-2010, 01:41 PM

http://www.sallyglass.com/images/blog/tree_fire.jpg

Your tree is waiting, Matt.

</post>
09-20-2010, 01:46 PM
Matt Cassel's Career as a Chief:

the Talking Can
09-20-2010, 01:54 PM
nothing would depress me more, if i were Cassel, then finding out gochiefs had jumped on my bandwagon...

he probably has LJ and Huard texting him right now, "damn..sorry bro, u fucked"

</post>
09-20-2010, 02:02 PM
Cassel's worst games as a Chief

Below 50

SD 10/25/09: 25.3
DEN 12/06/09: 14.6
BUF 12/13/09: 35.4
CLE 09/19/10: 46.1

Below 70

OAK 09/20/09: 66.3
OAK 11/15/09: 62.9
CIN 12/27/09: 58.4
DEN 01/03/09: 65.8
SD 09/13/10: 68

That's 9 out of the 17 games, and he seems to play his worst within the division. He's had a few good games but he's only cracked 90 5 times

kaplin42
09-20-2010, 02:02 PM

Keep it up.

If i remember correctly this was his MO all last season. He would suck donkey balls till mid 3rd quarter, and then come out and be average.

DeezNutz
09-20-2010, 02:23 PM
nothing would depress me more, if i were Cassel, then finding out gochiefs had jumped on my bandwagon...

he probably has LJ and Huard texting him right now, "damn..sorry bro, u ****ed"

LJ. LMAO. I don't know how many times I told GoChiefs what a bitch that player was/is.

And now he's toting the Cassel torch. This is more predictable than the ending to vlasasi spam, or whoever the fuck that vampire was.

Reerun_KC
09-20-2010, 02:25 PM
LJ. LMAO. I don't know how many times I told GoChiefs what a bitch that player was/is.

And now he's toting the Cassel torch. This is more predictable than the ending to vlasasi spam, or whoever the **** that vampire was.

I FFvB GoChiefs ages ago, Cant believe he is still around. But to know that he is endorsing Cassel, is a true death sentence...

I have nothing against Cassel, but if I was Matty Light, I would fly to Houston, go to GoChiefs Parents house, walk down to the basement and punch GoChiefs in the mouth for fucking up, my already limited career....

Count Alex's Losses
09-20-2010, 02:32 PM

And now he's toting the Cassel torch. This is more predictable than the ending to vlasasi spam, or whoever the fuck that vampire was.

im not "toting" anything. im simply recognizing improvement. the chiefs are two and fucking oh, and the quarterback had something to do with it. im happy. he needs to keep it up.

im not bitching while we're in first place. its stupid.

Pawnmower
09-20-2010, 02:33 PM
This is "news" ??

Was it printed before or after PARIS HILTON IS A WHORE ?

kaplin42
09-20-2010, 02:47 PM
im not "toting" anything. im simply recognizing improvement. the chiefs are two and ****ing oh, and the quarterback had something to do with it. im happy. he needs to keep it up.

Actually man, the consensus is that we are 2-0 despite Cassel.

Chiefnj2
09-20-2010, 02:48 PM
Actually man, the consensus is that we are 2-0 despite Cassel AND BERRY.

FYP.

DeezNutz
09-20-2010, 02:50 PM
im not "toting" anything. im simply recognizing improvement. the chiefs are two and ****ing oh, and the quarterback had something to do with it. im happy. he needs to keep it up.

His combined QB rating is 57.0.

Keep it up!

the Talking Can
09-20-2010, 02:54 PM

we're discussing an objective fact...Cassel sucks

every objective and subjective measurement confirms it

when Bartee sucked, we discussed it
when Hicks sucked, we discussed it
when Kendrell Bell sucked, we discussed it
etc.

don't be a pussy....and a pussy is someone who claims that discussing a player's poor performance is the same as not enjoying a win..as if we can't really hold more than 1 thought in our head at a time...but maybe working for WPI has made you that fucking stupid

Lzen
09-20-2010, 03:17 PM
Last year, Cassel’s struggles were justifiably excused by the lack of talent around him. His receivers could still do a better job than we’ve seen so far, but there are enough parts around Cassel to expect better production.

This pretty much sums it up nicely.

Lzen
09-20-2010, 03:35 PM

I'm no Cassel fan, but I don't blame him for not listening to what the fans and media say. I wouldn't want any player to listen to fans and media. I mean, have you heard some of these morons on the radio?

Lzen
09-20-2010, 03:37 PM
He's a shitbag. There's that post-game locker room interview on kcchiefs.com. Kept saying "a win is a win" and all that. When asked about what they have to improve on to beat San Francisco next week, he said "We gotta cut down on our mistakes. We turned the ball over twice today and that's not good. We gotta work on taking care of the ball when we go up against that talented defense."

I was paraphrasing there, but I specifically remember the "we" when talking about the turnovers. Hell, the least he could've done is said "interceptions." But no.

HEY MATT. YOU THREW THOSE TWO "TURNOVERS." MAYBE YOU ARE THE ONE WHO SHOULD WORK ON TAKING CARE OF THE BALL, ASSHOLE

Again, I'm no Cassel fan, but those INTs weren't just on Matt, IMO. Linemen gotta get dline hands down. And Chambers probably should have done a better job of getting that ball out.

Lzen
09-20-2010, 03:41 PM
FYP.

Berry has had some breakdowns in coverage. But make no mistake, he has made some very good plays, too. He will improve quickly.

Lzen
09-20-2010, 03:44 PM
I'm really not sure why everyone assumes Cassel will be here next year. Isn't his contract structured so that the Chiefs can move him if he doesn't perform this year? I think we see a new QB next year. That is, unless we see major improvement from MC.

Marcellus
09-20-2010, 03:47 PM
I'm really not sure why everyone assumes Cassel will be here next year. Isn't his contract structured so that the Chiefs can move him if he doesn't perform this year? I think we see a new QB next year. That is, unless we see major improvement from MC.

Some people believe Pioli's ego is so big he won't admit he was wrong on Cassel.

Weird thing is if his ego was that big I don't see how he could continue to let Cassel drag the team down and keep them from contending.

The dichotomy of Pioli.

keg in kc
09-20-2010, 03:49 PM
Some people believe Pioli's ego is so big he won't admit he was wrong on Cassel.

Weird thing is if his ego was that big I don't see how he could continue to let Cassel drag the team down and keep them from contending.

The dichotomy of Pioli.Like most polarizing topics, it's become religious in nature. There's no logic to it.

BigMeatballDave
09-20-2010, 03:49 PM
Awesome. Like we need another reason to dislike this clown. Great players are very critical of their play. They admit their mistakes.

Fuck you, Matt Cassel!

Count Alex's Losses
09-20-2010, 03:51 PM
Keep it up!

8-12, 116 yards.

http://www.heorot.dk/viking%20ship%20edda%20replica.jpg

BigMeatballDave
09-20-2010, 03:52 PM
im not "toting" anything. im simply recognizing improvement. the chiefs are two and fucking oh, and the quarterback had something to do with it. im happy. he needs to keep it up.

im not bitching while we're in first place. its stupid.What did Cassel have to do with those 2 wins?

King_Chief_Fan
09-20-2010, 03:56 PM
we're discussing an objective fact...Cassel sucks

every objective and subjective measurement confirms it

when Bartee sucked, we discussed it
when Hicks sucked, we discussed it
when Kendrell Bell sucked, we discussed it
etc.

don't be a pussy....and a pussy is someone who claims that discussing a player's poor performance is the same as not enjoying a win..as if we can't really hold more than 1 thought in our head at a time...but maybe working for WPI has made you that ****ing stupid
yet GoChiefs criticizes the contributions of others on this team.
GoChiefs is a bafoon.

Tribal Warfare
09-20-2010, 04:02 PM
yet GoChiefs criticizes the contributions of others on this team.
GoChiefs is a bafoon.

nah, he's just trying to get a rise out of everyone on the BB. He did the same thing when he was pimping Huard.

Chiefs Pantalones
09-20-2010, 05:25 PM
Did the KCStar turn into a college newspaper or something? I've only been gone for a year so things may have changed there.

BossChief
09-20-2010, 05:29 PM
Matt Cassel is the elephant in the room that nobody wants to talk about (except on CP, we love it)

You know what we should do to help Cassel?

Do exactly what Chan Gailey did with Thigpen and "red ball" when he designed about 30 or so plays to run for long stretches worth of no huddle. Every player had the list of plays on their arm and the playcall was made by number.

Cassel plays the best when we are in the no huddle and I think this could be a way of helping him "not think so much" and get back to just playing football.

We have the type of guys on offense to make it work because of their versatility. JMO

Honestly, I think it could help.

BossChief
09-20-2010, 05:31 PM

No way.

Willing to bet on it?

Chiefs Pantalones
09-20-2010, 05:36 PM
No way.

Willing to bet on it?

I agree. Pioli and Haley aren't the type to wait on any player. If Cassel continues to play like he is he'll be gone next year.

DeezNutz
09-20-2010, 05:39 PM
Matt Cassel is the elephant in the room that nobody wants to talk about (except on CP, we love it)

You know what we should do to help Cassel?

Do exactly what Chan Gailey did with Thigpen and "red ball" when he designed about 30 or so plays to run for long stretches worth of no huddle. Every player had the list of plays on their arm and the playcall was made by number.

Cassel plays the best when we are in the no huddle and I think this could be a way of helping him "not think so much" and get back to just playing football.

We have the type of guys on offense to make it work because of their versatility. JMO

Honestly, I think it could help.

Of course this would help. Not even an arguable point, IMO. This is what intelligent coaches do to compensate for players with minimal talent. Currently, Weis is doing the next best thing
by...
not...
allowing...
Cassel...
to...
participate...

Holla at Hoot when you see 'em in the street.

Direckshun
09-20-2010, 05:48 PM
I think this is all some big ruse on Chiefs fans.

Give us dreadful quarterbacking for a little while, then restore Cassel to his merely-mediocre form and we'll be thankful.

Kind of how they raised gas prices to $4.00 so we wouldn't bitch when they were $2.50.

keg in kc
09-20-2010, 06:14 PM
Cassel was on 810 this morning though. And it's clear that he will never ever admit anything negative about himself. He justified his poor performance in the MNF game by saying the coaches intentionally wanted him to hold back on passing and not put up big numbers. But the way he said it and the tone of voice just made me want to stab him in the face. He was in complete denial about anything critical of his performance in either game. Almost defensive about it. He was asked about the criticism from the fans and media, and he again said he didn't listen or care.Weird, I just listened to a blurb from that interview on Between the Lines and he said he needed to work on everything, and that quarterback is a position where you have work and improve every day.

He did say "nothing" when he was initially asked what he had to work on, but it was pretty obvious it was self-deprecating humor. I can't remember ever hearing him joke before. Maybe he's relaxing. Hopefully he can do it on the field eventually.

VAChief
09-20-2010, 06:26 PM
I love Cassel. What's not to like?

He has the personality of Bono and the skill set of a Tyler Thigpen's less fortunate brother.

ROFLROFLROFLROFLROFL

Sweet Daddy Hate
09-20-2010, 06:42 PM
Of course this would help. Not even an arguable point, IMO. This is what intelligent coaches do to compensate for players with minimal talent. Currently, Weis is doing the next best thing
by...
not...
allowing...
Cassel...
to...
participate...

Holla at Hoot when you see 'em in the street.

LMAO

johnny961
09-21-2010, 12:14 AM
Weird, I just listened to a blurb from that interview on Between the Lines and he said he needed to work on everything, and that quarterback is a position where you have work and improve every day.

He did say "nothing" when he was initially asked what he had to work on, but it was pretty obvious it was self-deprecating humor. I can't remember ever hearing him joke before. Maybe he's relaxing. Hopefully he can do it on the field eventually.

I didn't hear the interview but if this is the case it would at least show some mental toughness on his part to be able to get shelled by the fans and the media the way he has and then come out and joke about it. Toughness I was beginning to think he lacked. I hope your right and I hope he (Cassel)does improve. I'm not gonna hold my breath on it, though. Guy has shown nothing other than mediocre play at best. Hope I'm eating crow on this one but I just don't see him improving significantly.

munkey
09-21-2010, 01:04 AM
my contribution to this thread:

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Uc287hdGDQc?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Uc287hdGDQc?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Simply Red
09-21-2010, 05:50 AM
my contribution to this thread:

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Uc287hdGDQc?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Uc287hdGDQc?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

ROFL