PDA

View Full Version : Football Brandon Jacobs throws helmet into the stands in Indianapolis

DenverChief
09-20-2010, 01:36 AM
New York Giants (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/teams/nyg/) running back Brandon Jacobs (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/7286/)(notes) (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/7286/news) threw his helmet 10 rows deep (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-jacobs-helmet) into the stands at Lucas Oil Field on Sunday night during his team's blowout loss to the Indianapolis Colts (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/teams/ind/). The errant helmet didn't injure any fans, but did cause a commotion in the stands when the fans who retrieved it refused to hand it back to Colts officials.

According to NBC's Cris Collinsworth, someone associated with the Colts eventually got it back by ripping the piece of equipment out of their hands.

NBC's Andrea Kremer reported that Giants officials said Jacobs had thrown the helmet in rage after getting pulled from the game but intended to hit the bench with it. It slipped out of his hand and landed almost 10 rows up into the stands.
Yelling ensued after the throw, first by angry and frightened Colts fans toward Jacobs, then by Jacobs toward them and finally from Tom Coughlin directed toward his running back. The Giants coach loudly chastised his player on the sideline and didn't put him back in the game following the incident. Jacobs, who lost his starting job to Ahmad Bradshaw (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/8504/)(notes) (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/8504/news) this year, had four carries for nine yards in the game.

Kremer later said the NFL will investigate, but that Jacobs' actions already are considered to be an accident.
Accident or not, Jacobs put dozens of fans into harm's way by carelessly flinging his helmet and is fortunate nobody got hurt. That lucky break notwithstanding, he needs to be dealt with harshly by the league, likely in the form of a suspension. The NFL can't afford for fans paying hundreds of dollars for prime seats to feel that they're in danger. (Perhaps that's also why the league has been so quick to term this an accident. They don't need the media firestorm that surely would ensue if Jacobs did this on purpose.)

No video has surfaced yet of the throw or of the helmet being retrieved, but NBC's online Sunday Night Football Extra had a live feed of the altercation in the stands. Unfortunately, the camera panned away the instant a policeman became involved:
http://a323.yahoofs.com/ymg/ept_sports_nfl_experts__26/ept_sports_nfl_experts-659085757-1284951526.jpg?ymmHGzDDU_ibxv92
Presumably there's a video of the incident's resolution somewhere and, if it surfaces, Brandon Jacobs better pray his story proves true. If not, he might not have a helmet to throw around for a very long time My question is why can't the fan keep it?

SPchief
09-20-2010, 01:41 AM
My question is why can't the fan keep it?

Because it's not a foul ball. Hell a bat flys into the stands at a baseball game and you don't get to keep it. Are you really this dumb?

DenverChief
09-20-2010, 01:45 AM
Because it's not a foul ball. Hell a bat flys into the stands at a baseball game and you don't get to keep it. Are you really this dumb?

Oh rly? I have seen fans keep bats lots of times

Why are you being a dick?

If I took my badge and threw in into a crowd of people do I really have the right to demand it back? I discarded it--

Over-Head
09-20-2010, 02:48 AM
What is it 25K for breaking the "Alzado" rule??
(not sure if it's true but I once herd the rule for removing your helmet came from Lyle Alzado nearly beating a fan to death with his)

BryanBusby
09-20-2010, 06:11 AM

If I took my badge and threw in into a crowd of people do I really have the right to demand it back? I discarded it--

What does that example have to do with what happened? Brandon Jacobs wasn't discarding his helmet.

unlurking
09-20-2010, 06:13 AM
Considering how the fans reacted, it almost sounds like he threw it at them. If that's the case, the helmet should be theirs. If it truly was an accident based on overreaction, throw it back at him!

Hydrae
09-20-2010, 06:22 AM
As a fan I would have no problem giving the helmet back. However, I would also expect something else in return, like an autographed jersey or something.

Pioli Zombie
09-20-2010, 06:59 AM
Ok, before anyone else says it I'll say it.
Matt Cassel threw his helmet into the stands. It wobbled and fell short to the ground.

Frazod
09-20-2010, 07:06 AM
As a fan I would have no problem giving the helmet back. However, I would also expect something else in return, like an autographed jersey or something.

I doubt if even a Giants fan would want an autographed jersey from him.

Slainte
09-20-2010, 07:06 AM
Matt Cassel threw his helmet into the stands. It wobbled and fell short to the ground.

Are you kidding? It missed the ground and is currently in earth's orbit.

Slainte
09-20-2010, 07:08 AM
'Would've been some great pub for the NFL if the helmet had caromed off some fan's coconut and sent them to the emergency room. Or maybe killed them.

InChiefsHell
09-20-2010, 07:11 AM

Well, at least his arm strength is improving...:shrug:

notorious
09-20-2010, 07:23 AM
Thank God there weren't any small children there.

Helmet to the head would have been pretty bad......

Buehler445
09-20-2010, 07:45 AM
Heh. Jacobs is a douche bucket. Reason number 985522252258858 you don't pay big bruising running backs.
Posted via Mobile Device

chiefsnorth
09-20-2010, 07:59 AM
The only thing people get to keep if it flies into the seats is a baseball. Not footballs, not basketball or soccer balls.. Well, hockey pucks too, but it is not the rule. Besides it's not like the player has another helmet. In another situation where say a helmet ended up in the seats accidentally the game cold be impacted without that player being able to return to the game. They never should have expected to keep anything that landed in their seat at a football game

notorious
09-20-2010, 08:00 AM
The only thing people get to keep if it flies into the seats is a baseball. Not footballs, not basketball or soccer balls.. Well, hockey pucks too, but it is not the rule. Besides it's not like the player has another helmet. In another situation where say a helmet ended up in the seats accidentally the game cold be impacted without that player being able to return to the game. They never should have expected to keep anything that landed in their seat at a football game

I think they were pissed that Jacobs threw it up there in the first place. Holding onto the helmet for a while was their way of drawing attention.

chiefsnorth
09-20-2010, 08:02 AM
I think they were pissed that Jacobs threw it up there in the first place. Holding onto the helmet for a while was their way of drawing attention.

They probably just thought they could sell it or get money out of this somehow

notorious
09-20-2010, 08:03 AM
They probably just thought they could sell it or get money out of this somehow

Only they know the truth.

Anyone with half a brain knows they probably can't keep a helmet.

Garcia Bronco
09-20-2010, 08:04 AM
Considering how the fans reacted, it almost sounds like he threw it at them. If that's the case, the helmet should be theirs. If it truly was an accident based on overreaction, throw it back at him!

More like Jacobs should be charged with assault and the helmet taken as evidence. I would have ran it to the John and taken a piss in it if the asshole threw it at me.

notorious
09-20-2010, 08:06 AM
More like Jacobs should be charged with assault and the helmet taken as evidence.

They need to come down hard on him, even if it was an accident.

If it was on purpose, a season long suspension and punishment via the law needs to begin.

Radar Chief
09-20-2010, 08:11 AM
Helmet to the head would have been pretty bad......

That's no shit./Tait :$2500:

notorious
09-20-2010, 08:12 AM
That's no shit./Tait :$2500:

LOL

Renegade
09-20-2010, 08:34 AM

No, it hit his lineman 3 feet in front of him, then got deflected to the waiting DT to make a play on it.

Iowanian
09-20-2010, 08:43 AM
This is like Lt DumbBear leaving his soldier hat on the plains after the buffalo hunt...he can get it back, but he should have to give up something to that fan in trade.

unlurking
09-20-2010, 08:55 AM
This a recent change? Players used to throw balls into the stands, and in the 90's they implemented a rule charging the player $600 every time. Didn't stop it completely, and you still occasionally see players give the ball to people in the stands.

Now if it goes into the stands as part of the play, you are correct. If a player puts it into the stands intentionally, the fan gets to keep the ball.

jidar
09-20-2010, 09:29 AM
This a recent change? Players used to throw balls into the stands, and in the 90's they implemented a rule charging the player $600 every time. Didn't stop it completely, and you still occasionally see players give the ball to people in the stands.

Now if it goes into the stands as part of the play, you are correct. If a player puts it into the stands intentionally, the fan gets to keep the ball.

That's not true. Players try to give balls to fans, but the fan never gets to keep the ball.

Chiefnj2
09-20-2010, 09:32 AM
The fans should have played keep away with the helmet and passed it around the entire stadium. It should have been returned at the end with a nice steaming dookie in it.

BigMeatballDave
09-20-2010, 09:52 AM
:spock:Because it's not a foul ball. Hell a bat flys into the stands at a baseball game and you don't get to keep it. Are you really this dumb?Yes, a fan can keep a bat thats been thrown into the stands.

BIG_DADDY
09-20-2010, 10:02 AM
My only issue was that they took the helmut back. It wasn't like he was going to be needing it the rest of the game. That's my back FFL RB BTW.

ForeverChiefs58
09-20-2010, 10:02 AM
<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/iUseq4z9-QM?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/iUseq4z9-QM?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

chiefsnorth
09-20-2010, 10:05 AM
Baseballs and footballs belong to the league so the league decides how and when they are given away. The helmet is property of the New York Giants and was not Jacobs' to give away in the first place. Not to mention it sounds like he was throwing it at the bench and it ended up in the seats by accident. The fans have no claim to it and were being douchebags hoping to make a quick buck.

BIG_DADDY
09-20-2010, 10:11 AM
Baseballs and footballs belong to the league so the league decides how and when they are given away. The helmet is property of the New York Giants and was not Jacobs' to give away in the first place. Not to mention it sounds like he was throwing it at the bench and it ended up in the seats by accident. The fans have no claim to it and were being douchebags hoping to make a quick buck.

That's why everyone else has felt he had a claim to it too including the Chris Collingworth and Al Michaels. I guess everyone else is a douchebag except you. I am sure glad you showed up to straighten us out.

ForeverChiefs58
09-20-2010, 10:18 AM
If he missed the bench by 10 rows then he could start for an NFL team at QB. He is really missing out on the big money and should make a switch to QB. Then some dumb team will trade a high draft pick for him and throw huge $$$ his way to throw like that in games.

Brock
09-20-2010, 10:20 AM
You'd have to be pretty dumb to think they're going to let you keep a helmet.

Johnny Vegas
09-20-2010, 10:25 AM
shit isn't $5k fined to a player that throws a ball in the stands now? fans do keep those balls.

ForeverChiefs58
09-20-2010, 10:29 AM
He should have given it to a little kid immediately. I would like to see what the backlash would be of them ripping it out of a kids hands. Ha. My kid would have a Vulcan death grip on it. No way someone takes it without a fight.

Dicky McElephant
09-20-2010, 10:30 AM
Brandon Jacobs has asked the Giants for a trade.

Sofa King
09-20-2010, 10:31 AM
That bitch at the 0:29 mark made me flinch... yeesh...

ForeverChiefs58
09-20-2010, 10:34 AM
"reports say the Giants "bartered" with the fan and traded a ball for Jacobs' helmet."

link: http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_corner/post/Brandon-Jacobs-throws-helmet-into-the-stands-in-?urn=nfl-270794

BIG_DADDY
09-20-2010, 10:36 AM
"reports say the Giants "bartered" with the fan and traded a ball for Jacobs' helmet."

link: http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_corner/post/Brandon-Jacobs-throws-helmet-into-the-stands-in-?urn=nfl-270794

Well at least he got something.

Sofa King
09-20-2010, 10:37 AM

i was just going to say that in regards to the "fans get to keep baseball bats" post...

many times, the player will trade something else, a signed ball or hat, to get his bat back.

Johnny Vegas
09-20-2010, 10:41 AM
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/H8iDRL4S2-4?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/H8iDRL4S2-4?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

ForeverChiefs58
09-20-2010, 10:42 AM
He was prob about to throw it at the bench looked up 9 rows and saw carrot top's sister in the stands, scared him so bad he tried to kill it with his helmet. I completely understand, and those sitting around her should have thanked him and said next time hit her. He really wasn't far off from the target either. I change my mind and now want the chiefs to trade for him.

ForeverChiefs58
09-20-2010, 10:45 AM
he can throw farther than Cassel too. Much stronger arms, bigger biceps.

chiefsnorth
09-20-2010, 10:46 AM
That's why everyone else has felt he had a claim to it too including the Chris Collingworth and Al Michaels. I guess everyone else is a douchebag except you. I am sure glad you showed up to straighten us out.

The helmet did not belong to Jacobs so even if he did intentionally throw it, it was not his to give away. You can't give things belonging to your employer away just because you work there, and if you did the people receiving them don't have any right to keep them.

Mr. Laz
09-20-2010, 10:54 AM
he should of been able to keep the helmet

stuff goes into the stands then the fans keep it or get something equivalent in trade.

Cave Johnson
09-20-2010, 10:54 AM
Brandon Jacobs has asked the Giants for a trade.

And with that, Father Tom relegates him to special teams.

You, Brandon Jacobs, no longer have a place on Asexual Healing.

boogblaster
09-20-2010, 10:55 AM
ive seen footballs go into the bleachers and the fans had to give them bak .. i dont understand that either .......

ForeverChiefs58
09-20-2010, 10:56 AM
What about a hockey stick? Should this guy get his stick back? They should sign that girl too. Fiesty.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/v0MTa19Ie9E?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/v0MTa19Ie9E?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Cave Johnson
09-20-2010, 11:23 AM

Kill it. Kill it with fire.

Dylan
09-20-2010, 12:24 PM
According to a source, Brandon Jacobs will meet with Giants management today and ask to be traded. Might not be a bad idea for both sides.

Vinny DiTrani is a pretty good reporter -- I can only hope this is true.

However, Who is going to trade for a loud mouth, washed-up, tip-toeing, injury prone rb that makes around $4 MM a year?

Good riddance & Pulease take Coughlin with you!

http://twitter.com/sageman01

Oakland need a RB? LMAO

Brock
09-20-2010, 12:24 PM
Nobody is going to trade for Shrek.

Dylan
09-20-2010, 12:27 PM
Nobody is going to trade for Shrek.

in their right mind... ;)

Smed1065
09-20-2010, 12:28 PM
More like Jacobs should be charged with assault and the helmet taken as evidence. I would have ran it to the John and taken a piss in it if the asshole threw it at me.

ROFL

DenverChief
09-20-2010, 12:31 PM

I have seen people keep baseball bats, I'm sure there are other helmets the team has for a player, that would be insane to not have a backup or two

DenverChief
09-20-2010, 12:32 PM
What does that example have to do with what happened? Brandon Jacobs wasn't discarding his helmet.

Yes he was just letting the fan examine it :spock:

DenverChief
09-20-2010, 12:36 PM

Oh rly? I'm sure that custom fit helmet was bought by the player-they are not a 1 size fits all--

BIG_DADDY
09-20-2010, 12:48 PM
Hockey sticks are clearly the property of the team and there is no way that greedy douchebag bitch deserves a damn thing. LMAO

Brock
09-20-2010, 01:02 PM
Oh rly? I'm sure that custom fit helmet was bought by the player-they are not a 1 size fits all--

You think the player bought the helmet? I'm guessing probably not.

jAZ
09-20-2010, 01:10 PM

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_kHpAP39uhMw/S0vV3KYRQ5I/AAAAAAAABZU/PMHu5kXNVZg/s400/carrot_top_23.jpg

jAZ
09-20-2010, 01:14 PM
Just going into the stands doesn't make it the legal property of the person in the stands any more than if I drop my keys off the ledge doesn't make my keys or my car the property of the guy below.

That said, it would go a long way toward repairing the mess that BJ created by the Giants making a point of letting the guy keep the helmet.

BIG_DADDY
09-20-2010, 01:19 PM
Just going into the stands doesn't make it the legal property of the person in the stands any more than if I drop my keys off the ledge doesn't make my keys or my car the property of the guy below.

That said, it would go a long way toward repairing the mess that BJ created by the Giants making a point of letting the guy keep the helmet.

Exactly

BIG_DADDY
09-20-2010, 01:20 PM
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_kHpAP39uhMw/S0vV3KYRQ5I/AAAAAAAABZU/PMHu5kXNVZg/s400/carrot_top_23.jpg

ROFL That's friggen scary.

FAX
09-20-2010, 01:27 PM
I think it would have made a better story if Brandon Jacobs had doused himself with five gallons of gasoline and set himself on fire over there on the sidelines.

FAX

Delano
09-20-2010, 01:28 PM
Kill it. Kill it with fire.

Excellent.

Cave Johnson
09-20-2010, 01:33 PM

Here's a friend's wife (won't say which Mrs. USA contestant) with the roided one....

DenverChief
09-20-2010, 01:45 PM
You think the player bought the helmet? I'm guessing probably not.

IDK But in the era of custom fit everything why would the Giants want a helmet that only fits one players head?

DenverChief
09-20-2010, 01:46 PM

So when players toss their jersey, gloves, cleats etc into the crowd club officials should retrieve those as well?

PunkinDrublic
09-20-2010, 01:52 PM
I wish our recievers would hang on to the ball like that fan held on to that helmet.

Brock
09-20-2010, 01:52 PM
IDK But in the era of custom fit everything why would the Giants want a helmet that only fits one players head?

The shell of the helmet is not custom fit. You ever looked at a helmet?

DenverChief
09-20-2010, 01:57 PM
The shell of the helmet is not custom fit. You ever looked at a helmet?

not upclose since high school almost 20 years ago

jettio
09-20-2010, 02:04 PM
This is only barely related, but has anybody noticed how sassy the women in Kansas City bars are acting now that Larry Johnson is not around to encourage them to behave themselves.

Simply Red
09-20-2010, 02:53 PM

That was pretty rude.

The_Doctor10
09-20-2010, 03:46 PM
Well, at least his arm strength is improving...:shrug:

It may have gone high, but it still only travelled ten yards at field level.

Smed1065
09-20-2010, 03:49 PM

Because you are in the NFL?

I bet 98% ask and demand it back. In your field.

Azz.

kstater
09-20-2010, 04:22 PM
I can't believe the narrative here on CP is whether or not they should return the helmet. I figured the narrative would be whether or not he deserves a suspension.(He does, accident or not you can't throw your helmet at fans).

POND_OF_RED
09-20-2010, 04:41 PM
It would have been interesting to see the fan simply throw it back to him, only to be detained by security for throwing objects onto the field. There shouldn't be a double standard. Jacobs will have some sort of fine/suspension coming his way.

Kyle DeLexus
09-20-2010, 05:04 PM

A broken bat you do get to keep. They just take it from you at that moment and you pick it up after the game.

Unbroken bat some players have let fans keep them, but most of the time they will trade for it back.

Chiefaholic
09-20-2010, 06:39 PM
I caught football on a missed Janikowski FG a few years back and security didn't waste any time climbing into the stands to get it back. I just threw it back on the field and enjoyed the remainder of the Chief ass kicking.

Sweet Daddy Hate
09-20-2010, 06:58 PM
Ok, before anyone else says it I'll say it.
Matt Cassel threw his helmet into the stands, and it was thrown back at his insufferable ass.

Fxd/Thx/Bye!:thumb:

Coach
09-20-2010, 07:00 PM
Dumb ass requested for a trade. He sure ain't the sharpest tool in the toolbox. Hope the NFL fine the hell out of his ass.
Posted via Mobile Device