PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Chiefs Blitz | A look at the good, the bad and the ugly from Sunday's game

Tribal Warfare
09-20-2010, 01:38 AM
Chiefs Blitz | A look at the good, the bad and the ugly from Sunday's game against the Cleveland Browns (http://www.kansascity.com/2010/09/19/2235319/chiefs-blitz.html)

Do tell the truth

How good are the Chiefs?

Not bad, but not great, either. This is a 2-0 team with an inconsistent quarterback and a philosophy that it will have to find alternative ways to score. Kansas Cityís offense can only be as good as Matt Cassel allows, and he hasnít shown much improvement in his second season as the Chiefsí starter. Otherwise, the defense and special teams have looked terrific, and those are the reasons why the Chiefs are among the NFLís unbeaten teams.

Why did Jamaal Charles have only 11 carries Sunday?

Beats us. Coach Todd Haley said after the game that his staffís game plan leaned more toward Thomas Jonesí strengths. For the first time, Charles acknowledged that he is the Chiefsí backup rusher, adding that heís up for anything as long as the team is winning. Itís difficult to argue with a plan that wins, but itís even more difficult to understand why a potential rising star spends most of his time on the sideline.

Who took a step forward?

Cornerback Brandon Flowers had a terrific day, returning an interception for a touchdown, but rookie safety Eric Berry finally showed why he was the Chiefsí top draft pick. No, he didnít have an interception, but he was in the Brownsí backfield often on running plays, and he dived to break up a pass. Berry, the No. 5 overall draft pick this year, will face huge expectations, even now. Sunday was a step in the right direction.

Anyone else?

Another rookie, tight end Tony Moeaki, has emerged as one of Casselís favorite targets. He was thrown to 10 times Sunday, and he had five catches for 58 yards. Moeaki already has proved that heís the best player the Chiefs have had at his position since Tony Gonzalez was traded.

What effect did Tyson Jacksonís absence have?

Virtually none. And thatís not good for the Chiefs or last yearís No. 3 overall draft pick. Jackson sat out Sunday because of a knee injury, and a newcomer to Kansas City football would have never known that Jackson wasnít there. The Chiefs still held the Browns to 73 rushing yards, and backup end Wallace Gilberry had the teamís only sack. Jackson might never be a Pro Bowler, but the Chiefs should at least notice when heís gone.

The final word

ďI know you guys want something real nice and some big numbers, but itís not going to be pretty. Thatís about how itís going to be most of the time.Ē

| Chiefs coach Todd Haley on the teamís sloppy win

Big number

Thatís the number of kick-return yards that Josh Cribbs accumulated Sunday, after the Chiefs made an effort to keep the ball away from him. Cribbs torched the Chiefs in a loss last year for touchdowns on kickoff returns of 100 and 103 yards. Kansas City kicked off short, and Cribbs didnít field a kickoff until the fourth quarter.

KCrockaholic
09-20-2010, 01:42 AM
It's disgusting. But I'll take it as long as a "W" is beside the box score.

SPchief
09-20-2010, 01:47 AM
What effect did Tyson Jackson’s absence have?

Virtually none. And that’s not good for the Chiefs or last year’s No. 3 overall draft pick. Jackson sat out Sunday because of a knee injury, and a newcomer to Kansas City football would have never known that Jackson wasn’t there. The Chiefs still held the Browns to 73 rushing yards, and backup end Wallace Gilberry had the team’s only sack. Jackson might never be a Pro Bowler, but the Chiefs should at least notice when he’s gone.

Um, isn't that a good thing? Something called depth?

jaa1025
09-20-2010, 01:55 AM
Don't agree with the Jackson part at all either. He played phenomenal in game 1 which shocked all of us. While the defense played well in game 2, that doesn't mean anything regarding how the players graded out and their competition.

Fritz88
09-20-2010, 04:34 AM
Berry got burned in both games in several occasions
Posted via Mobile Device

ChiefGator
09-20-2010, 05:52 AM
Um, isn't that a good thing? Something called depth?

Don't agree with the Jackson part at all either. He played phenomenal in game 1 which shocked all of us. While the defense played well in game 2, that doesn't mean anything regarding how the players graded out and their competition.

Exactly. Look, the player was drafted somewhere but is now a Chief in his second year. He showed marked improvement in the first game. I'm not crying my eyes out because we had to go with our backup DE and still held a team to a very low rushing total.

That is a POSITIVE...

PhillyChiefFan
09-20-2010, 06:18 AM
Posted via Mobile Device

I saw that too, I'm just trying to remind myself that he is a rookie.

beach tribe
09-20-2010, 06:27 AM

He is. He's still adjusting to the speed of the pro game I can tell, but we haven't had a safety support the run like he has since..... Well, longer than I can remember.

SenselessChiefsFan
09-20-2010, 06:44 AM
The Browns aren't the Chargers. If the Chiefs played the Chargers again yesterday, I think we would have noticed the loss of TJ.

The Pats, for a long, long time, didn't seem to win 'pretty'. This coaching staff knows how to get it done. Chiefs aren't playoff contenders, but they are certainly on the rise and should have a decent season barring significant injuries.

InChiefsHell
09-20-2010, 06:45 AM

Exactly. I'm not worried about Berry, because even though he's been torched 2 very obvious times for TD's, he's shown up and made some very big plays, is a solid tackler, and is showing every indication that he'll be worth his draft slot for years to come.

threebag02
09-20-2010, 06:54 AM
They could dress it up by making our offensive numbers better. He'll Jamaal has the ability to make our rush numbers look like other teams pass numbers. Where's the mafia when you need 'em mark cassel needs to disappear.

Tuckdaddy
09-20-2010, 07:32 AM
We are as fake of a 2-0 team as there has ever been. Our QB and WR's stink and if your TE is your best reciever you will win nothing. No speed at the position means they don't get open worth a shit and are not capable of stretching the field. Haley and Weis are absolutely stupid for leaving JC on the bench and I hope the media dogs their ass hard for it. The only reason we have won the last two is becauee Romey knows how to call a defense and make them play hard.

bevischief
09-20-2010, 07:38 AM
Can't wait for next weeks ugly win...

KC Jones
09-20-2010, 07:44 AM
He is. He's still adjusting to the speed of the pro game I can tell, but we haven't had a safety support the run like he has since..... Well, longer than I can remember.

since Derron Cherry - but Berry will go far beyond what Cherry did.

Buehler445
09-20-2010, 07:50 AM
The Charles thing perplexes me. He should have been in there. The kid is better than Jones. No 2 ways about it. He is better.
Posted via Mobile Device

Spott
09-20-2010, 08:01 AM
The Charles thing perplexes me. He should have been in there. The kid is better than Jones. No 2 ways about it. He is better.
Posted via Mobile Device

I'm beginning to think that maybe there's a Greg Hill/Marty thing going on there because there's no logical reason that TJ should be the starter.

ChiTown
09-20-2010, 08:04 AM
If someone would have told me that Matt Cassel, after 2 games, had a 55 passer rating, with 1 TD and 2 INT's, I would have guessed 0-2. The fact that we are winning in spite of our overpaid, retard at QB is amazing to me. Kudos to the Chiefs D, ST's and Coaches.

ChiTown
09-20-2010, 08:08 AM
Posted via Mobile Device

Yep, his first two games have been far from impressive. He's looked bad on occasions and decent in others. I'm still waiting for fantastic, but as long as we are winning, the ugly looks acceptable.

tyton75
09-20-2010, 08:18 AM
all i know is that DJ had an awesome freaking day.. from the parts of the game I got to see while at work

Reerun_KC
09-20-2010, 08:21 AM
Ugly? Weis and his play calling....

Short Leash Hootie
09-20-2010, 08:23 AM
all i know is that DJ had an awesome freaking day.. from the parts of the game I got to see while at work

right now I'd say DJ and Flowers are pro bowlers...

no doubt

shit...

Flowers is playing like a DPOY candidate...I doubt he'll ever get the recognition to achieve such an award...but seriously...he is MONEY

Short Leash Hootie
09-20-2010, 08:23 AM
that INT was a thing of beauty and really...it basically won us the game

tyton75
09-20-2010, 08:27 AM
Flowers is awesome, but that INT was a gift.. it SHOULD have been picked off

Baby Lee
09-20-2010, 08:27 AM
that INT was a thing of beauty and really...it basically won us the game

The play-by-play was EPIC.

Wallace, back to pass, into the flat, . . . and . . . ummmmm. . . looks like the Chiefs . . . ummm. . . something something endzone.

Short Leash Hootie
09-20-2010, 08:35 AM
Flowers is awesome, but that INT was a gift.. it SHOULD have been picked off

It was a bad pass..

but I disagree with the SHOULD HAVE part...

man Flowers really made a great read and took that ball away and made it count...

that took a great play from a great player and that was ANOTHER huge momentum shift...

and to the Browns credit...

that 3rd and 1 playcall was a thing of beauty...

really...

it was.

Paniero
09-20-2010, 08:38 AM
If nothing else, there will always be something to criticize after a Chiefs game.

I'm glad the complaints follow a win as opposed to a loss; a win has been rare the last two years, but the complaints have not.

The Cleveland game told us where we stand, which is just above mediocre overall. The next three games will define if this season will be looked as progress.

Short Leash Hootie
09-20-2010, 08:40 AM
the Cleveland game tells me we can win close games...and that we are mentally tough...

that's a good thing for this team

chiefs1okie
09-20-2010, 11:39 AM
the Cleveland game tells me we can win close games...and that we are mentally tough...

that's a good thing for this team

AAAAnd, do we finally have a defense???

otherstar
09-20-2010, 11:49 AM

Could someone refresh my memory, but didn't Dale Carter play fairly inconsistent his first few seasons in the league and then then blossomed into a solid player (before his decline and off-the-field behavior caught up with him)? I'm more than willing to put up with rookie mistakes if the player is playing hard and making serious effort to improve (and I think Berry is doing both).

LaChapelle
09-20-2010, 11:56 AM
Coaching

Hug it Out Dan
09-20-2010, 12:15 PM
Meanwhile Bernard Pollard keeps maing plays for Houston.

It'd be nice to have Berry, Lewis, Pollard, and Page.

But oh well.

J Diddy
09-20-2010, 12:28 PM
We are as fake of a 2-0 team as there has ever been. Our QB and WR's stink and if your TE is your best reciever you will win nothing. No speed at the position means they don't get open worth a shit and are not capable of stretching the field. Haley and Weis are absolutely stupid for leaving JC on the bench and I hope the media dogs their ass hard for it. The only reason we have won the last two is becauee Romey knows how to call a defense and make them play hard.

Eat a bag of dicks.

go bowe
09-20-2010, 01:54 PM
Eat a bag of dicks.a bag?

how 'bout the whole marching band?

InChiefsHell
09-20-2010, 03:22 PM
Meanwhile Bernard Pollard keeps maing plays for Houston.

It'd be nice to have Berry, Lewis, Pollard, and Page.

But oh well.

But Pollard and Page sucked. Ask anyone...:rolleyes:

Smed1065
09-20-2010, 03:47 PM
Yeah, In enticing forum.........

Go Dan........

Why not if he has a decent DF?