PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Haley, The Halftime Hero

Claynus
09-20-2010, 12:20 PM
Haley, The Halftime Hero (http://kan.scout.com/2/1004235.html)

<table><tbody><tr><td valign="top">In my fantasy, spittle flies from Todd Haley’s mouth, rage flashes in his eyes and the walls quiver in fright along with 53 players inside Cleveland Browns Stadium.
</td></tr> <tr> <td colspan="3">
Haley’s anger lights up Kansas City’s locker room like Arrowhead on a Monday Night. Players responsible for first-half mistakes are bombarded by pure, seething fury, expletives dropping like nuclear bombs. Those who escape the blast count their blessings and avoid eye contact with their head coach.

Now deathly afraid of further embarrassing their head coach and energized by the molten hot fear of God pulsating through their veins, the Chiefs emerge from halftime with one focus – domination of the Cleveland Browns, resulting in a 2-0 record and proof they can win rain or shine, home or away. So emboldened, the Chiefs translate Haley’s vitriol into victory.

But it’s only a fantasy.

We’ll never know what happened at halftime Sunday against the Browns. Maybe all that screaming Haley has been saving up finally boiled over in the grand tradition of Bill Parcells, away from the cameras. It could have been something as simple as a nip there or a tuck here in KC’s gameplan. It’s also possible Clark Hunt phoned in Morgan Freeman, Gene Hackman, Samuel L. Jackson, Al Pacino, Billy Bob Thornton and Denzel Washington (http://kan.scout.com/a.z?s=115&p=8&c=1&nid=4816688), who combined forces for the most inspiring motivational speech ever.

Something changed. Because through 30 minutes, the Chiefs couldn’t move the ball (longest drive: 31 yards), couldn’t stop the Browns and looked terrible. They were well on their way to proving their win over San Diego was a weather-assisted fluke, and in danger of taking a giant collective step backwards – how else do you describe losses to the Cleveland Browns, at the hands of two different (but equally inept) quarterbacks, in consecutive years?

Instead, critics were silenced, fans were inspired, and we witnessed the first 2-0 Kansas City team since 2005. Sunday was KC’s first road win in September since 2007. The Chiefs have defied almost everyone’s expectations and now, it seems like almost anything is possible this year.

The credit goes entirely to Haley.

Seriously. Who made a bigger play than Haley’s halftime wizardry? Whatever transpired inside KC’s locker room between the second and third quarters, nothing else had a bigger impact on the game. The Chiefs went from duds to studs in a matter of minutes.

After 30 minutes, NFL scrap-heap reclamation project Seneca Wallace (http://kan.scout.com/a.z?s=115&p=8&c=1&nid=4853243) was humiliating the fifth-highest paid quarterback in the league. But with just a touch of Haley’s magic wand, Matt Cassel (http://kan.scout.com/a.z?s=115&p=8&c=1&nid=5024960) was transformed from an overpaid, mistake prone, inaccurate nightmare into a passer who not only protected the football but completed passes down the field, culminating in scores.

Eric Berry (http://kan.scout.com/a.z?s=115&p=8&c=1&nid=5025387), victimized horribly during a first-half, play-action touchdown bomb, turned into a one-man wrecking crew. He burrowed through a fullback and upended Jerome Harrison (http://kan.scout.com/a.z?s=115&p=8&c=1&nid=4853196) as if he was some freakish combination of John Lynch, Brian Dawkins (http://kan.scout.com/a.z?s=115&p=8&c=1&nid=4833418) and Bob Sanders (http://kan.scout.com/a.z?s=115&p=8&c=1&nid=4995712). On the first play of the second half, Berry chased Harrison out of bounds for a loss of two yards.

Kansas City’s top pick played centerfield with absolute precision and discipline, frustrating Wallace into poorly thrown prayers aimed down the sidelines. Berry almost sealed the game with an incredible diving near-interception late in the fourth quarter. The Browns punted anyway.

Romeo Crennel, who led a first-half defense that surrendered a whopping 244 yards to a collection of sad-sack Cleveland misfits, turned his unit into the 2000 Ravens. Wallace totaled only 42 second-half passing yards and the Browns, as an offense, had just 55. By the fourth quarter, Cleveland’s offensive line was holding KC’s pass rushers in a futile attempt to give their quarterback time to throw, and Crennel’s blitzes were timed perfectly. The Chiefs were teeing off on the quarterback – when was the last time that happened?

If you want to heap even more credit on Haley’s head, the decision to feed running back Thomas Jones (http://kan.scout.com/a.z?s=115&p=8&c=1&nid=4840882) 22 carries may have been a key part of KC’s win. It’s no secret that Jones isn’t as explosive or sexy a player as his backup, Jamaal Charles (http://kan.scout.com/a.z?s=115&p=8&c=1&nid=5024961). Fans and media are already incensed that Haley would deny Charles touches (only 24 in two games) and give them to Jones.

But Charles looked lost Sunday against Cleveland. He was indecisive and frustrated, at one point hanging his head after being stuffed on yet another carry. Aside from a meaningless 20-yard gallop before halftime, Charles averaged 2.9 yards per carry. Jones didn’t have a run over 11 yards, but his ability to gain consistent positive yardage kept the Chiefs in short-yardage situations on third down.

It’s easy to question the decision to bench Charles and feature Jones, but you won’t find too many Chiefs fans who will argue with 2-0.

The Chiefs are perfect today because of Haley’s halftime adjustments. Something changed in that locker room. We shouldn’t go overboard just yet, but great head coaches have the ability to do what Haley did Sunday. It doesn’t matter if it’s the regular season, playoffs or Super Bowl.

Trailing the Denver Broncos 13-0 at halftime of a key game late in 1997, Marty Schottenheimer somehow found a way to inspire the Chiefs into a 24-22 victory and the eventual AFC West Divisional Championship.

Marv Levy, losing 28-3 to the Houston Oilers at halftime during the 1992 playoffs and missing Jim Kelly (http://kan.scout.com/a.z?s=115&p=8&c=1&nid=1187163), conjured up a 41-38 win with a backup quarterback (Frank Reich).

Jimmy Johnson (http://kan.scout.com/a.z?s=115&p=8&c=1&nid=4894294), trailing the Buffalo Bills 13-6 at halftime of Super Bowl XXXVIII, produced an eventual 30-13 victory. Yes, the Cowboys were ridiculously talented. But Johnson has a Master’s in Psychology. He knew what buttons to push, and changed that game from a nail-biter to a blowout.

The Chiefs didn’t blow out the Browns, but they blew up some critics and doubters Sunday. Whatever your locker room fantasy of choice is, the reality is 2-0. Kansas City will win eight games this season if Haley continues to transform water into wine at halftime.

</td> </tr> </tbody></table> <script type="text/javascript"> $("#send-to-blogger").attr("href", "http://www.blogger.com/blog_this.pyra?t=" + escape($('#story-deck').html()) + "&u=" + escape(location.href) + "&n=" + escape($('#story-title').html())); </script> <script type="text/javascript"> var addthis_config = { services_exclude: "twitter,facebook,blogger,email,print" }; var addthis_share = { url: location.href, title: $("#story-title").html(), content: $("#story-deck").html(), templates: { twitter: "RT @ScoutChiefs {{title}} {{url}}" } }; </script> <script type="text/javascript" src="http://s7.addthis.com/js/250/addthis_widget.js?pub=scout"></script> <script type="text/javascript"> var story = {}; $(function() { var $email = $("#email-a-friend-link"); var $window = $("#email-a-friend-window"); $email.overlay(); story.$overlay = $("#overlay"); $email.click(function() { $window.html('<iframe style="width: 600px; height: 625px;" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" allowtransparency="false" leftmargin="0" topmargin="0" marginwidth="0" marginheight="0" id="email-a-friend-frame" src="/story/sendtofriend/1004235"></iframe>'); story.$iframe = $("#email-a-friend-frame"); }); }); </script> <script> var premiumFlag = 0; </script> <!--end STORY DISPLAY-->

Donger
09-20-2010, 12:24 PM
So, it's pure speculation that Haley said anything that turned the game around?

InChiefsHell
09-20-2010, 12:32 PM
So, it's pure speculation that Haley said anything that turned the game around?

It had to be. Couldn't have been the other coaches...the proven ones. Had to be Haley.:D

Smed1065
09-20-2010, 12:37 PM
Yeah, go backwards....

Recovery is admitting it.

Unless CL makes you happy............

InChiefsHell
09-20-2010, 12:43 PM
Haley: GODDAMMIT! STOP SUCKING! ALL OF YOU! HOLY CRAP!!

Chiefs: YEAH! LET'S DO IT! I'M GONNA PLAY BETTER!

...something like that, I'm guessing.

CrazyHorse
09-20-2010, 12:46 PM
Boy....you can really tell who wrote this crap.

wasi
09-20-2010, 12:57 PM
But Charles looked lost Sunday against Cleveland. He was indecisive and frustrated, at one point hanging his head after being stuffed on yet another carry.

Maybe part of Charles' looking lost, indecisive or frustrated is the fact he needs carries to get into a game.

Fish
09-20-2010, 01:01 PM
That was a letdown....

Molitoth
09-20-2010, 01:55 PM
But Charles looked lost Sunday against Cleveland. He was indecisive and frustrated, at one point hanging his head after being stuffed on yet another carry.

Every time Charles got brought into the game... the chiefs coaches, the browns defense, the people in the stadium, and the people watching via tv KNEW he was getting the ball. When something is THAT predictable, it's going to get stuffed. You don't think the Browns watched gamefilm of the Charles plays from last week?

They are not utilizing him correctly in order to get his max potential. Period.

Give him a toss to the flat. Call a playaction while he's in the backfield. Run a screen. Do a toss-sweep. Do a fleaflicker (if cassel could pass).

Do something different than expected.

DaKCMan AP
09-20-2010, 01:57 PM
Fiction.

the Talking Can
09-20-2010, 02:05 PM
and the warpaint spam is back

ClevelandBronco
09-20-2010, 02:08 PM
Instead, critics were silenced...

No, not really. We're still thinking that despite a couple of fortunate individual efforts this team hasn't yet figured out a way not to suck.

petegz28
09-20-2010, 02:10 PM
No, not really. We're still thinking that despite a couple of fortunate individual efforts this team hasn't yet figured out a way not to suck.

True. But we have figured out how not to suck on both sides of the ball at the same time.

Marcellus
09-20-2010, 02:15 PM
They beat a bad team but it was a road win after a short week. Cudos.

Now go obliterate SF.

Mr. Flopnuts
09-20-2010, 02:17 PM
All of a sudden, the idea of being 6-2 or 5-3 at the stretch isn't so far out of reach. I mean, seriously. I'm chalking up the Indy and Houston games as losses, but with this defense, we could beat San Fran, Jax, Buffalo, and Oakland. Wow. I just said that out loud............

chiefsnorth
09-20-2010, 02:27 PM
Drivel

The_Doctor10
09-20-2010, 02:38 PM
All of a sudden, the idea of being 6-2 or 5-3 at the stretch isn't so far out of reach. I mean, seriously. I'm chalking up the Indy and Houston games as losses, but with this defense, we could beat San Fran, Jax, Buffalo, and Oakland. Wow. I just said that out loud............

Cassel needs to remember how to pass before you beat SF, Oakland and Jacksonville. Buffalo though... this team could start Jackie Battle at QB and win that game... the Bills look absolutely awful. Way to draft CJ Spiller in the face of every other need on that team, and then only give him 5 touches.

Claynus
09-20-2010, 02:48 PM
and the warpaint spam is back

http://media.scout.com/media/avatars/0/9/GoChiefs81.jpg

Smed1065
09-20-2010, 02:50 PM
http://media.scout.com/media/avatars/0/9/GoChiefs81.jpg

Decent avy means......

Christofire
09-20-2010, 02:51 PM
Haley: GODDAMMIT! STOP SUCKING! ALL OF YOU! HOLY CRAP!!

Chiefs: YEAH! LET'S DO IT! I'M GONNA PLAY BETTER!

...something like that, I'm guessing.

LOL. Rep.

wutamess
09-20-2010, 02:51 PM
WOW! That was a bad read! I feel like I just read something written by Dexter or Stooey.

Smed1065
09-20-2010, 02:54 PM
Less than fat whoooooooooooooo. I am great shape and no jump on me "bitches"?

WTF

Interweb rules........

Smed1065
09-20-2010, 02:56 PM
At least we realize sucking is only bad.

Wait till my next whore post!

When I post a good reply, I will say I know all.

Hog Farmer
09-20-2010, 04:24 PM

And it really kinda sounded like you meant it.

Sweet Daddy Hate
09-20-2010, 06:08 PM
I loves me some Haley, and that's all I have to say about that.

http://gstylemag.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2008/12/forrestgump21.jpg

tmax63
09-20-2010, 06:44 PM
I know they suck but they suck to the tune of 2-0. And they are getting some game experience and additional practice time in.

Sweet Daddy Hate
09-20-2010, 06:59 PM
I know they suck but they suck to the tune of 2-0. And they are getting some game experience and additional practice time in.

I'm just glad that the players who DON'T suck are earning their wins and building confidence in themselves and each other.

cabletech94
09-20-2010, 07:13 PM
you're all sucking bananas!!! /todd haley

Mr. Flopnuts
09-20-2010, 07:53 PM
And it really kinda sounded like you meant it.

I do. It's a nice fucking change of pace! :)

Calitozoni
09-20-2010, 11:05 PM
After 30 minutes, NFL scrap-heap reclamation project was humiliating the fifth-highest paid quarterback in the league. But with just a touch of Haley’s magic wand, Matt Cassel[/URL] was transformed from an overpaid, mistake prone, inaccurate nightmare into a passer who not only protected the football but completed passes down the field, culminating in scores.

ROFL Whoopie. We put 6 points on the board. Let's exagerate this into a Hollywood movie.

If you want to heap even more credit on Haley’s head, the decision to feed running back Thomas Jones[/URL] 22 carries may have been a key part of KC’s win. It’s no secret that Jones isn’t as explosive or sexy a player as his backup, Jamaal Charles[/URL]. Fans and media are already incensed that Haley would deny Charles touches (only 24 in two games) and give them to Jones.

But Charles looked lost Sunday against Cleveland. He was indecisive and frustrated, at one point hanging his head after being stuffed on yet another carry. Aside from a meaningless 20-yard gallop before halftime, Charles averaged 2.9 yards per carry. Jones didn’t have a run over 11 yards, but his ability to gain consistent positive yardage kept the Chiefs in short-yardage situations on third down.

What a crock here. The entire NFL knows when JC is going to get the ball because of the way he's being used (or should I say not used). Yea, lets continue to keep our most explosive weapon on the bench with an occasional appearance in a predictable situation. Way to keep'em guessing.:rolleyes:

It’s easy to question the decision to bench Charles and feature Jones, but you won’t find too many Chiefs fans who will argue with 2-0.

The Chiefs are perfect today because of Haley’s halftime adjustments. Something changed in that locker room. We shouldn’t go overboard just yet, but great head coaches have the ability to do what Haley did Sunday. It doesn’t matter if it’s the regular season, playoffs or Super Bowl.

Frankie
09-21-2010, 12:30 AM
But with just a touch of Haley’s magic wand, was transformed from an overpaid, mistake prone, inaccurate nightmare into a passer who not only protected the football but completed passes down the field, culminating in scores.

:eek:

Haley whipped out his magic wand again!!!!!

Frankie
09-21-2010, 12:35 AM

After watching MNF, I'm having my doubts, dude.

InChiefsHell
09-21-2010, 05:49 AM
After watching MNF, I'm having my doubts, dude.

No shit. That defense was absolutely beastly...

Pioli Zombie
09-21-2010, 05:57 AM
Best 7th grade essay paper I've ever read.

Short Leash Hootie
09-21-2010, 06:25 AM
No shit. That defense was absolutely beastly...

if it was at San Fran, I would agree...

but road games are an entirely different beast...

Chiefs will probably be favored.

Saul Good
09-21-2010, 08:33 AM
Jamaal Charles was so lost that, in his 12 touches, he had the longest run of the game and the longest reception of the game.

If you wrote an article about McGwire breaking the home run record, you would have said that he looked lost on the 530 at bats where he didn't homer.

jAZ
09-21-2010, 08:41 AM
They beat a bad team but it was a road win after a short week. Cudos.

Now go obliterate SF.

NO couldn't "obliterate" SF. A win is a win.

boogblaster
09-21-2010, 09:37 AM
5-2 would be nice ...

Claynus
09-21-2010, 11:07 AM
Jamaal Charles was so lost that, in his 12 touches, he had the longest run of the game and the longest reception of the game.

The run was meaningless. It came against a prevent defense.

Charles isn't Adrian Peterson just yet. He had a shitty game.

Frankie
09-21-2010, 11:25 AM
if it was at San Fran, I would agree...

but road games are an entirely different beast...

Chiefs will probably be favored.

No way we will be favored on betting lines. If we win it will definitely be an upset.

Pioli Zombie
09-21-2010, 12:16 PM
GoChiefs mom should douche with this article.

B_Ambuehl
09-21-2010, 12:40 PM
Claythan,

You have to decide whether you want to be a fan or a writer. Your hate articles are much more entertaining. Whitlock never let himself get sidetracked acknowledging anything positive. You should embrace your inner hate and stick with anti-Pioli, anti chiefs articles. Everytime the chiefs do something good, think of what could/should be better.

Short Leash Hootie
09-21-2010, 12:42 PM
No way we will be favored on betting lines. If we win it will definitely be an upset.

opened at San Fran (-1) up to San Fran (-2.5) right now...

KC could go 3-3 in upset wins to start the season...

Not bad.

Claynus
09-21-2010, 12:58 PM
Claythan,

You have to decide whether you want to be a fan or a writer. Your hate articles are much more entertaining. Whitlock never let himself get sidetracked acknowledging anything positive. You should embrace your inner hate and stick with anti-Pioli, anti chiefs articles. Everytime the chiefs do something good, think of what could/should be better.

Dude, the Chiefs are undefeated and showing improvement. I'm praising them. It would be retarded and show incredible bias to continue criticizing at this juncture.

If and when they fail, they'll deserve the opposite.

And for the record, I don't "hate" anyone. I'm not "anti" Chiefs. I just want them to win. Before the last two weeks they looked like a bunch of incompetent boobs. I'm rooting for Pioli and Haley, and even Cassel, and I'm happy to see progress.

Claynus
09-21-2010, 01:01 PM
Whitlock never let himself get sidetracked acknowledging anything positive.

And for the record, this is not true. Whitlock praised Vermeil and Herm (to the point of insanity) and even Carl when they did good things.

Besides, I don't want to be a Whitlock clone just for the sake of pleasing Chiefsplanet. I'm developing my own style and I'm sticking with my own opinions. I don't like to write with prejudice or agenda. I was pissed as hell when they wouldn't give Charles the ball at the start of last week's game, but by the end it was pretty clear Haley was a lot smarter than everyone screaming at him through their television sets in the first half.

Sweet Daddy Hate
09-21-2010, 06:53 PM
And for the record, this is not true. Whitlock praised Vermeil and Herm (to the point of insanity) and even Carl when they did good things.

Besides, I don't want to be a Whitlock clone just for the sake of pleasing Chiefsplanet. I'm developing my own style and I'm sticking with my own opinions. I don't like to write with prejudice or agenda. I was pissed as hell when they wouldn't give Charles the ball at the start of last week's game, but by the end it was pretty clear Haley was a lot smarter than everyone screaming at him through their television sets in the first half.

That article was kind of ghey, but I applaud you for sticking to your guns. :clap: