PDA

View Full Version : Life -- Would you be willing to quit drinking, in order to lose weight?

Simply Red
09-21-2010, 08:31 AM
... and hold each other accountable, here? In this thread?

If you dare, e-stamp that shit and sign up.

I'll do the 'e-smokes' - since I've already beat down the drinking habit.

It's all about accountability, folks.

:)

If you're in, reply 'In.' or simply type out agreement.

seclark
09-21-2010, 08:33 AM
way f@ckin out.
sec

Simply Red
09-21-2010, 08:36 AM
DAMMIT, It's MY turn to motivate and I'm relentless!

Frazod
09-21-2010, 08:38 AM
I'm down about 40 pounds, and not drinking (much) certainly helps. I'll still have the occasional shot, or sip the occasional glass of single malt, but I haven't had a beer in months. I hate light/cheap/shitty beer, and the good beer that I do enjoy is loaded with calories.

Drinking has never been something I had a problem walking away from, even when I was a kid and drank like a fish. Not that I didn't have my destructive vices, but that really wasn't one of them.

loochy
09-21-2010, 08:40 AM

I already did (not bragging). I never had a problem with alcohol, but I quit having a beer when I go to a restaurant, etc. Also, as I've gotten older, I don't do the going out on the weekend thing anymore. When I do drink, it's usually something like straight liquor or Captain and Diet Coke or Coke Zero or something.

What really got me is that in terms of calories, drinking alcohol is almost like drinking fat. Fat has 9 calories per gram and alcohol has 7. I know when you drink you aren't drinking pure alcohol, but still that is a lot of calories for nothing. Example: 1 shot of 100 proof whiskey has about 100 calories. That's kind of a lot for a tiny little bit of drink, especially considering that every pound of fat on you is made up of 3500 calories.

Baconeater
09-21-2010, 08:41 AM
Quit? No. Although I've already massively cut down on my drinking since I went back to school. I've only drank about 6-8 beers since I got home from the Bash.

Simply Red
09-21-2010, 08:42 AM
well on my visit we had some discussions, some of you've all but asked for this, I will be a great guide. Let's do this shit! Step up!

Simply Red
09-21-2010, 08:43 AM
this is my last post for a bit, as my inbox is suddenly raining. But if I only help one person, then dammit, this will prove worthwhile. I really hope at least someone steps up.;)

InChiefsHell
09-21-2010, 08:44 AM
I enjoy me some bourbon, pretty much exclusively what I consume. I'm down 20 pounds, and that is due to diet, exercise and yeah, cutting back on the booze. But I haven't quit, and frankly never will. If you are patient and diligent about your consumption, you can still partake and lose weight...but it will go way faster if you quit drinking altogether.

Heh. To answer your original question. No. No way.

Hog Farmer
09-21-2010, 08:46 AM
I'm in !

Wait, isn't Cassel still our QB.

I'm out.

Actually , I'm only drinking during the Chiefs game and hitting weights and Treadmill everyday so I'm in kinda.

Delano
09-21-2010, 08:49 AM
Last night I replaced supper with six or seven rum and diet Cokes. I need to work on that.
Posted via Mobile Device

loochy
09-21-2010, 08:53 AM
I'm in !

Wait, isn't Cassel still our QB.

I'm out.

Actually , I'm only drinking during the Chiefs game and hitting weights and Treadmill everyday so I'm in kinda.

Speaking of....do you have a treadmill at home? My apartment has an exercise room with nice HD TV screens. If I go in there and watch a half of football I just got an hour and a half of work in without noticing since I'm so into the game. Try it.

Last year I did that for the second half of the Cowbows-Chiefs game. As you may recall, that game went into OT and I stayed on the whole time. I was an exhausted mofo when that one was done.

Fish
09-21-2010, 08:56 AM
Why would you have to quit drinking to lose weight? Just eat less and drink more.... it works for me......

loochy
09-21-2010, 08:57 AM
Why would you have to quit drinking to lose weight? Just eat less and drink more.... it works for me......

Is your name KC Fish because you drink like a fish?

Hog Farmer
09-21-2010, 09:03 AM
Speaking of....do you have a treadmill at home? My apartment has an exercise room with nice HD TV screens. If I go in there and watch a half of football I just got an hour and a half of work in without noticing since I'm so into the game. Try it.

Last year I did that for the second half of the Cowbows-Chiefs game. As you may recall, that game went into OT and I stayed on the whole time. I was an exhausted mofo when that one was done.

That is a good idea. I used to do curls while watching the Chiefs games years ago when we were good but ever since we turned suck I just started getting drunk instead. Just think how many lives Carl Peterson damaged !

loochy
09-21-2010, 09:05 AM
That is a good idea. I used to do curls while watching the Chiefs games years ago when we were good but ever since we turned suck I just started getting drunk instead. Just think how many lives Carl Peterson damaged !

It's kind of funny how if you hold on to the heart rate grips you can see your heart rate spike by 10 to 15 points during stressful moments of the game.

ChiTown
09-21-2010, 09:09 AM

:thumb:

luv
09-21-2010, 09:14 AM
Completely? I don't drink enough that it really matters. I had two beers on Sunday during the game, if that (you can ask Floppy). My weakness seems to be soda, which is weird because I gave it up a few years ago. Not sure why I started it again.

Fish
09-21-2010, 09:16 AM
Is your name KC Fish because you drink like a fish?

Surprisingly no.

Reaper16
09-21-2010, 10:13 AM
I don't need to lose any weight.

JohninGpt
09-21-2010, 10:15 AM
Last night I replaced supper with six or seven rum and diet Cokes. I need to work on that.
Posted via Mobile Device

Get a bubba keg, then you'll only need one rum and coke.

Dicky McElephant
09-21-2010, 10:36 AM
If you don't drink and you need to lose weight.....does that mean you should start drinking?

TinyEvel
09-21-2010, 11:03 AM
I gave up drinking and only lost 5 Lbs.WTF? I drank A LOT too. :hmmm:

Rain Man
09-21-2010, 11:07 AM
I gave up drinking and only lost 5 Lbs.WTF? I drank A LOT too. :hmmm:

Maybe you have a genetic oddity that allows you to drink massive amounts of alcohol without processing calories. If so, I'd keep quiet or you'll end up being held prisoner in some super-secret Molson-Coors laboratory while they do gruesome medical tests on you.

L.A. Chieffan
09-21-2010, 11:08 AM
i dont want you to get fat sr, but thats a very fine calorie-laden beverage youre not drinking

MOhillbilly
09-21-2010, 11:14 AM
Who was the RB back in the day who would do push ups and sit ups during commercials as a kid? MMA guy, was on the trump show....stoopid brain.

keg in kc
09-21-2010, 11:17 AM
I can't even get myself to stop eating, in order to lose weight.

Mr. Laz
09-21-2010, 11:45 AM
if a person cared enough about losing weight enough to quit drinking they would of already lost the weight.

FishingRod
09-21-2010, 11:54 AM
My parents did not raise a quitter!

TrickyNicky
09-21-2010, 11:57 AM
My weakness seems to be soda, which is weird because I gave it up a few years ago. Not sure why I started it again.

Same here. I just quit soda. I'm trying to drink water, but I usually don't drink it, and it just sits there and gets warm. Then I really don't want to drink it.

Detoxing
09-21-2010, 12:05 PM
Who was the RB back in the day who would do push ups and sit ups during commercials as a kid? MMA guy, was on the trump show....stoopid brain.

Herschel Walker?

Dayze
09-21-2010, 12:07 PM
i'm trying to cut back and only drink on either Saturday or Sunday football game. and limiting myself to only a 6 pack.
it was nothing for me to sip on brews all day watching football.

we'll see what effect it has on the waist line, combined with jogging 3-4 days a week. Don't drink soda; don't really eat all that 'bad'. I think my beer gut is ....well, from Beer.
lol.

Mr. Kotter
09-21-2010, 12:07 PM
Down 35 pounds since June 1. About 1-2 pounds a week. I still have 3-4 drinks, 2-3 times a week.

The key for me has been getting rid of soda, fewer carbs, and trimming serving sizes. More water and fiber, no food within 3 hours of going to bed either. Seems to work--even without exercise at this point.

I know I'll hit a plateau soon; guess I'll have to see about exercising and limiting the booze to once a week, if I want to get down to HS weight though. The real trick, of course, will be keeping it off. Wish me luck.

Dayze
09-21-2010, 12:09 PM
Down 35 pounds since June 1. About 1-2 pounds a week. I still have 3-4 drinks, 2-3 times a week.

The key for me has been getting rid of soda, fewer carbs, and trimming serving sizes. More water and fiber, no food within 3 hours of going to bed either. Seems to work--even without exercise at this point.

I know I'll hit a plateau soon; guess I'll have to see about exercising and limiting the booze to once a week, if I want to get down to HS weight though. The real trick, of course, will be keeping it off. Wish me luck.

nice job.

I'm pretty much the same as far as eating. think the booze was holding back any weight loss (DUH on my part).

Mr. Kotter
09-21-2010, 12:13 PM
nice job.

I'm pretty much the same as far as eating. think the booze was holding back any weight loss (DUH on my part).

I even give myself one day a week to eat pretty much whatever I want, within reason of course. That has suppressed feeling deprived, and cravings that sabotaged past attempts. Hell, the wife was tickled pink that I can now wear my wedding ring again, after 5 years of refusing to get it resized, (again) heh.

Mike's Lemonade Light with a shot of good vodka is a light low-cal treat, fwiw. Heh.

MOhillbilly
09-21-2010, 12:16 PM
Herschel Walker?

ding.

Dayze
09-21-2010, 12:19 PM
Mike's Lemonade Light with a shot of good vodka is a light low-cal treat, fwiw. Heh.

:hmmm:

loochy
09-21-2010, 12:19 PM
ding.

dong.

The witch is dead.

Mr. Laz
09-21-2010, 12:30 PM
until you get tipsy and start munching on Cheetos and Ho Ho's

ROFL

Baconeater
09-21-2010, 01:07 PM
Same here. I just quit soda. I'm trying to drink water, but I usually don't drink it, and it just sits there and gets warm. Then I really don't want to drink it.
I tried to drink water only during the day, but then I end up needing to piss every damn hour or so.

MOhillbilly
09-21-2010, 01:12 PM
They can have my beers when they pry em from my cold dead hands.

Mr. Kotter
09-21-2010, 01:28 PM
until you get tipsy and start munching on Cheetos and Ho Ho's

ROFL

Yep. Exactly. LMAO

Fortunately, it takes more than 2-3 drinks for me to get the munchies.

Sweet Daddy Hate
09-21-2010, 01:30 PM

Would I? Yes. Will I today? No. But soon.

Phobia
09-21-2010, 01:54 PM
I drink a finely crafted brew like I would eat an amazingly prepared steak. The drinking aspect isn't important to me like it may have once been. I just enjoy delicious things. So, no I wouldn't quit just to lose a couple of lbs but I would be willing to watch my intake just like I have food items.

Simply Red
09-21-2010, 03:28 PM
I drink a finely crafted brew like I would eat an amazingly prepared steak. The drinking aspect isn't important to me like it may have once been. I just enjoy delicious things. So, no I wouldn't quit just to lose a couple of lbs but I would be willing to watch my intake just like I have food items.

dude you look great (no homo) - but seriously, you have ALREADY dropped, right?

Silock
09-21-2010, 04:49 PM
Sure I would. Fortunately, I don't have to make that choice.

grandllama
09-21-2010, 05:41 PM
Nope. I've lost 75lbs since May without giving up drinking, why start now when I'm 25lbs from my goal? ;-)

Simply Red
09-21-2010, 05:42 PM
Nope. I've lost 75lbs since May without giving up drinking, why start now when I'm 25lbs from my goal? ;-)

keep it up. :thumb: