PDA

View Full Version : Life How many times have you accidentally dialed 911

Bob Dole
09-21-2010, 03:14 PM
Bob Dole is just curious.

We recently installed a monitoring package on our phone system that alerts security and the phone system administrator when someone dials 911. It seemed like a useful tool to have, until Bob Dole came to realize that there are apparently a lot of people out there who apparently either close their eyes when dialing, or have really fat fingers.

Poll to follow...

keg in kc
09-21-2010, 03:19 PM
How the fuck do you "accidentally" dial 911?

(Zero...)

loochy
09-21-2010, 03:20 PM
When I was a little kid I went to this Boy Scouts event at a local high school. There was a pay phone there and I was bored, so, thinking that a number wouldn't dial unless I put money in it, I dialed 911. To my surprise, 911 answered and I promptly hung up the phone. About 5 minutes later my Scout leader said this to our group:

"Wow, someone just prank called 911 from this school. How terrible. Can you believe someone would do that? That's just awful."

I shook my head in agreement.

LMAO

kstater
09-21-2010, 03:21 PM
I've done it with my cell phone at least 2 times pocket calling.

Bob Dole
09-21-2010, 03:21 PM
How the **** do you "accidentally" dial 911?

(Zero...)

Bob Dole is still waiting for a reasonable answer to that question.

One of our rocket scientists earlier today managed to pull off the feat TWICE in under 2 minutes.

WTF??

Pants
09-21-2010, 03:25 PM
When you have to dial to an outside line from a big office, you have to hit 9-1-area code, maybe some retard hit that "1" twice or something?

Hug it Out Dan
09-21-2010, 03:25 PM
-thenDid it once when I was a kid but it was on purpose, cops called back and my dad answered, My dad beat the shit out of me later, never did it again.

I don't see how one could "accidently" dial 911. Most ph#'s are 7 digits long, 10 if you count the area code if dialing long distance. Most dial pads are set up like....

1 2 3
4 5 6
7 8 9
* 0 #

So given that, how do accidently dial 911?!?!? I saw in a previous post that sometimes in an office you have to dial 9 then 1 before calling an outside line......but other than that, i dunno???

Rain Man
09-21-2010, 03:28 PM
I accidentally dialed 911 once, but it was only because it was dark inside the car trunk and my hands were tied behind me.

loochy
09-21-2010, 03:29 PM
When you have to dial to an outside line from a big office, you have to hit 9-1-area code, maybe some retard hit that "1" twice or something?

This is a good idea....in fact, at my place of work we have to do exactly that. A sticky button or something could easily result in a 911 call.

ChiTown
09-21-2010, 03:30 PM
I'll tell you how I did it.

I wanted to dial 411 for information on my cell, but instead, the dead side of my brain takes control of my fingers and dials 911. I didn't realize this until the operator says: "911, what's your emergency"............:eek: "uh, send an 'ambulamps', because I'm a dumbass."

Chief Henry
09-21-2010, 03:33 PM
I don't think i'vve ever dialed 911 by accident. I cann't spell worth a crap, buit I don't believe I've ever dialled 9111 by accident.

chiefsnorth
09-21-2010, 03:38 PM

That was my thought. But there are no area codes or local exchange codes that start with 1

Pants
09-21-2010, 03:39 PM
That was my thought. But there are no area codes or local exchange codes that start with 1

Yeap, which is why I said the person accidentally hit the "1" twice.

Mojo Jojo
09-21-2010, 03:52 PM
My former work prefix was 922. One Saturday I was checking voice mail after doing yard work. I dialed 911 by mistake and hung up. At the same time my wife is getting the kids into the mini-van to go an event. 911 sends a police car to look into a 911 hang up...my wife is trying to get the kids into the the van to get going...I'm in the shower and get out to find a cop checking out what happened. Not a good start for the day.

The Pedestrian
09-21-2010, 03:54 PM
Despite living in KCMO and having various KCK friends and acquaintances with the 913 area code, I've never accidentally dialed 911.

Pants
09-21-2010, 03:57 PM
Despite living in KCMO and having various KCK friends and acquaintances with the 913 area code, I've never accidentally dialed 911.

That's because you're an amazing individual. How's your facial hair nowadays?

keg in kc
09-21-2010, 04:18 PM
That's because you're an amazing individual. How's your facial hair nowadays?Which one? He's up to three now, although they're hard to see.

ChiefsCountry
09-21-2010, 04:30 PM
Did once at a hotel, they had a jacked up phone system - tried to make a long distance call and got 911 instead.

Los Pollos Hermanos
09-21-2010, 04:39 PM
My phone at work requires me to dial a "9" before I call out. One day, I was making a call from home and I just hit the "9" out of habit and then after hitting the "1" to make my long distance call, I realized that I had made a mistake and I hung up. Apparently, I must have hit the "1" twice because I had a cop show up at my house about 30 minutes later.

Red Brooklyn
09-21-2010, 04:41 PM

(Zero...)

Exactly.

Gonzo
09-21-2010, 04:42 PM
I work in the security dept for a company with 900 employees. Whenever someone calls 911 I get an email and a phone call. Believe it or not, we get misdials almost every day.
Posted via Mobile Device

Mr. Laz
09-21-2010, 07:15 PM

(Zero...)this

BigMeatballDave
09-21-2010, 08:15 PM
Fortunately, I've never dialed it.

BigMeatballDave
09-21-2010, 08:17 PM
There are loads of stupid fucking people out there that think you can call 911 for just misc. info.

Bob Dole
09-21-2010, 08:21 PM
This is a good idea....in fact, at my place of work we have to do exactly that. A sticky button or something could easily result in a 911 call.

The phones are less than 2 months old... If they have sticky keys, they deserve to have their phone taken way.

stevieray
09-21-2010, 08:23 PM
does this story have a happy ending?

Psyko Tek
09-21-2010, 09:08 PM
my old cell phone
was not a flip phone
even locked it would still dial 911
so I pocket dialed a few times

nothing as fun as hanging at a party with friends when your pocket says
hello, this is the police are you having any difficulties

Lumpy
09-21-2010, 09:54 PM
By accident, no, never. I do, however, sneak into this one office building every day or so and dial 911 from one of the desk phones. It's funny as hell watching the security jackass run around frantically when he receives notification via email that a 911 call was made in the building.

Bacon Cheeseburger
09-21-2010, 10:10 PM
By accident, no, never. I do, however, sneak into this one office building every day or so and dial 911 from one of the desk phones. It's funny as hell watching the security jackass run around frantically when he receives notification via email that a 911 call was made in the building.
Gonzo is going to be pissed when he finds out you're the one doing that.

Lumpy
09-21-2010, 10:14 PM
Gonzo is going to be pissed when he finds out you're the one doing that.

Meh. It keeps him busy. :D

ChiefaRoo
09-21-2010, 10:30 PM

(Zero...)

I'll tell you. I was outside the US abut 10 years ago. I was staying at a hotel in China I had to dial 9 to get an outside line then 0, and then 11 for the country code. This was all dial up computing to get my email.

Fast forward to to my home office on the Monday after I got back. I plug in my dial up modem and the computer uses the old settings and it dials 9,0,11 automatically over and over while I'm getting my morning cup of coffee.

Next thing I know I've got two cop cars outside my house with excited cops banging on my door.

It took me awhile to understand what had happened. They were cool after I showed them my computer and explained.

bevischief
09-22-2010, 09:15 AM
I work in the security dept for a company with 900 employees. Whenever someone calls 911 I get an email and a phone call. Believe it or not, we get misdials almost every day.
Posted via Mobile Device

Really? I could see it maybe if they lived in Kansas...

Gonzo
09-22-2010, 09:21 AM
A lot of companies, (mine included) have to dial 9 for an outside line. This increases the misdial probabilities.
Posted via Mobile Device

Amnorix
09-22-2010, 09:34 AM
My son (then maybe 9 months old) was playing iwth the phone. I wasn't paying much attention. The the phone rings -- "hello, this is 911 emergency, did you call?" "errr....no" (staring at my son in horror). "Well, police, fire and ambulance are en route to your location as we received a 911 call from you."

Great....

It was a warm mornign, so I wander outside to my front yard, with my son in my arms. Cop pulls up first, pretty quick after the call, sees me holding my son (and pointing at him -- under the bus the kid went!), gets out of the cruiser, shakes his head and starts chatting with me, being polite and all and also telling me not to let the boy play with the phone.

2 minutes later the fire truck comes by. Sees me standing out there talking with the cop, and slowly drives away. Then a minute later the ambulance does the same thing.

Oy.

Renegade
09-22-2010, 09:47 AM
My son (then maybe 9 months old) was playing iwth the phone. I wasn't paying much attention. The the phone rings -- "hello, this is 911 emergency, did you call?" "errr....no" (staring at my son in horror). "Well, police, fire and ambulance are en route to your location as we received a 911 call from you."

Great....

It was a warm mornign, so I wander outside to my front yard, with my son in my arms. Cop pulls up first, pretty quick after the call, sees me holding my son (and pointing at him -- under the bus the kid went!), gets out of the cruiser, shakes his head and starts chatting with me, being polite and all and also telling me not to let the boy play with the phone.

2 minutes later the fire truck comes by. Sees me standing out there talking with the cop, and slowly drives away. Then a minute later the ambulance does the same thing.

Oy.

I have always wondered, is there a charge that you must pay if all the emergency services are scrambled, and it turns out to be a false alarm?

allen_kcCard
09-22-2010, 10:03 AM
Before my son was even crawling, he pushed our phone off the nightstand and it landed upside down. It was one of those phones with the big ass number buttons and without even thinking about it I picked the phone up, sat it back on the nightstands and hung up the reciever. Within a second the phone rang, I answered it, and was suprised to find it was 911 calling me.

I explained that my infant had knocked the phone onto the floor, she sounded a little dubious but understood after I mentioned the extremely big buttons.

Tossed that faggy phone my wife had from college in the trash soon after.

BigChiefFan
09-22-2010, 10:07 AM
Having to dial the 913 area code has caused a few slip ups from time to time.

DeezNutz
09-22-2010, 11:50 AM

Yep, once. 9-1-oops, the wife lingered too long, apparently.

Mr. Officer paid us a visit, and we felt ridiculously bad for wasting his time and a potentially necessary resource for someone in need.

chasedude
09-22-2010, 12:01 PM
A lot of companies, (mine included) have to dial 9 for an outside line. This increases the misdial probabilities.
Posted via Mobile Device

This is how I've made the mistake in dialing 911. Dial 9 for outside line and like a finger stuttering, accidentally hit 1 more than once.

The logs always show who called what so I get the call back, "did you dial 911" LMAO doh!

Amnorix
09-22-2010, 12:05 PM
I have always wondered, is there a charge that you must pay if all the emergency services are scrambled, and it turns out to be a false alarm?

I doubt it, unless it's really egregious (see those idiots with the false report of their kids in a hot air balloon) or was really repetitive or something.

38yrsfan
09-22-2010, 12:10 PM
Voted 1 but not exactly true.

A couple years back we used dialup for internet access

- phone was on top of the cpu, which was on the floor - phone was accidently knocked off top of cpu by knee

- pickup phone and 911 was on the other end - hang up without saying anything, heck I didn't call them!

- they call back and I tell them what happened, accident, etc.

- 45 MINUTES LATER, a couple county boys are playing SWAT team outside my door.

- they want to see and talk to everyone in the house, do a visual, and inspect the carnage after-the-fact if there had been something going on.

They didn't have much to say when I mentioned their prompt response, though my wife did get hasseled a few weeks later for a burned out headlight while driving my rig ...

FAX
09-22-2010, 12:26 PM
Once, in search of a number for a local pizza place, I dialed "411". Next thing you know, there was a lady on the phone asking me what my emergency was. For a second there, I thought maybe she could read my mind because I was really hungry.

FAX

Rausch
09-22-2010, 12:29 PM
When "911 is a Joke" came out me and a friend called from a pay phone and hung up to see how fast their response time was.

The time and response were both poor...

Saulbadguy
09-22-2010, 12:41 PM

Yep. I've done it once but hung up before it started ringing.

The Pedestrian
09-22-2010, 01:24 PM

That's why the faster emergency service never became 912. :shake:

Pants
09-22-2010, 01:33 PM
Which one? He's up to three now, although they're hard to see.

LMAO

Huffman83
09-22-2010, 02:19 PM

(Zero...)

You have no fucking clue how careless people are.

Not a day goes by where people let their children play w/ a phone and some stupid parent says "My kid likes the noises the phone makes."

1adam1238
09-22-2010, 02:26 PM
I lived in a town that had 811 for time and temp. One night, while working a graveyard shift in a prison camp, I dialed 911 thinking I had dialed 811. When I realized what I had done, I hung up. The phone immediately rang and it was the dispatcher, they were ready to respond. That would not have been purdy if everyone would have responded to the camp.

Thig Lyfe
09-22-2010, 03:09 PM
I keep confusing 911 and 1-900-SEX-CHAT.

boogblaster
09-22-2010, 03:16 PM

The Pedestrian
09-22-2010, 03:52 PM
That's because you're an amazing individual. How's your facial hair nowadays?

:rolleyes:

Metro, I may be drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you shall still be retarded.