PDA

View Full Version : Misc Advice on getting an AR15

Frazod
09-21-2010, 11:22 PM
I've finally decided to pull the trigger, so to speak, on picking up an AR. I'm looking for something reasonably priced and reliable. I've done a good bit of looking around on line and I believe I've settled on this:

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/36_868/products_id/38639

The reviews of the Olympics Arms ARs are very positive. This model comes with the A1 sight/handle. There were a couple of other rifles in the same price range (Doublestar and DPMS Panther). The Doublestar doesn't come with sights, however, and dropping this much on a rifle I'd prefer not to have to immediately purchase sites, as I'll probably pick up a scope later. The DPMS is in the same price range:

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/36_793/products_id/61616

Anyway, if any of you own either of these, or have any useful advice, I'd appreciate it hearing it. Seems like Bud's has far and away the best online prices, but if there's anything better out there, I'd love to hear about it. Thanks.

chiefsnorth
09-21-2010, 11:38 PM
http://www.ar15.com/content/page.html?id=493

KcMizzou
09-21-2010, 11:41 PM
You must have a very threatening fridge.

(obligatory)

Buck
09-21-2010, 11:42 PM
Why the fuck would anyone need an Assault Rifle?

The only reason I see having one is if you think another country is going to invade us.

TrebMaxx
09-21-2010, 11:45 PM
I'm not a big fan of the A1 upper but if you like it, go for it, iron sights FTW! BTW - Bud's Gun Shop is a good place to buy.

'Hamas' Jenkins
09-21-2010, 11:48 PM
As far as accessories and mods go, you can't go wrong with the M203.

chiefsnorth
09-21-2010, 11:49 PM
Maybe you'd do us all more good harassing people for eating cheeseburgers and sucking down Camels. Kill a lot more people than guns. Least of all, ARs.

Back on topic, I have heard some guys who said negative about Olympic but I have only ever fired one, so I can't speak. Know a few guys who swear by Stag on value for the money.

TinyEvel
09-21-2010, 11:50 PM
If there's ever a civil war in this country, us Democrats are toast.

johnny961
09-21-2010, 11:51 PM
Go with the DPMS...Quality piece. I've owned two of em over the years one a standard A2 and the other a bull barreled varmint rifle. Both nice. Go with the A2 as opposed to the A1...adjustable sights are far better and if memory serves me correctly both are close to the same price.

chiefsnorth
09-21-2010, 11:51 PM

We might keep some of you around to collect brass for us. :D

Frazod
09-21-2010, 11:52 PM
Why the fuck would anyone need an Assault Rifle?

The only reason I see having one is if you think another country is going to invade us.

Ah, cityfolk. :D

I don't want to get all tin-foil-hatty here, however.....

What happens if the economy does collapse? Hyper inflation, food suddenly becomes prohibitively expensive, etc. Suddenly millions of urban scumbags with no survival skills other than knowing how to steal your shit will be on the move. We've all heard the scenarios, and it's not like it can't happen. And if it does, I'd rather have an AR locked and loaded than be pissed off that I didn't get one when I had the chance.

KcMizzou
09-21-2010, 11:52 PM
If there's ever a civil war in this country, us Democrats are toast.LMAO

Jewish Rabbi
09-21-2010, 11:53 PM
At last report, this was still America (or what's left of it). In America you don't need a reason to have something. Wanting one is a good enough reason. You don't have to pass papers up to your kommandant (yet) to want something that is legal.

Maybe you'd do us all more good harassing people for eating cheeseburgers and sucking down Camels. Kill a lot more people than guns. Least of all, ARs.

Back on topic, I have heard some guys who said negative about Olympic but I have only ever fired one, so I can't speak. Know a few guys who swear by Stag on value for the money.

If you're talking to Buck, I'm pretty sure it was a legitimate question.

KcMizzou
09-21-2010, 11:53 PM
Ah, cityfolk. :D

I don't want to get all tin-foil-hatty here, however.....

What happens if the economy does collapse? Hyper inflation, food suddenly becomes prohibitively expensive, etc. Suddenly millions of urban scumbags with no survival skills other than knowing how to steal your shit will be on the move. We've all heard the scenarios, and it's not like it can't happen. And if it does, I'd rather have an AR locked and loaded than be pissed off that I didn't get one when I had the chance.That, or the Zombie Apocalypse. You can never be too careful.

Frazod
09-21-2010, 11:54 PM
I'm not a big fan of the A1 upper but if you like it, go for it, iron sights FTW! BTW - Bud's Gun Shop is a good place to buy.

I plan to upgrade later - but I'd prefer to get something I can effectively aim out of the box.

I'm off to bed now - will check back in tomorrow. Thanks everybody for your comments. :thumb:

johnny961
09-21-2010, 11:54 PM
We might keep some of you around to collect brass for us. :D

LMAO

'Hamas' Jenkins
09-22-2010, 12:01 AM
I'm not necessarily opposed to the idea of gun control, but I'd also like to mount an M2 on top of my Highlander and arm it with Raufoss ammunition.

big nasty kcnut
09-22-2010, 12:30 AM
your fridge must have a hit out on you.

DenverChief
09-22-2010, 01:18 AM

Speak fer yerself--course I think the zombies will invade before anything else :D

Great purchase fraz :thumb:

Munson
09-22-2010, 01:35 AM
From everything I've heard, Olympic Arms is the last brand I'd buy. I've never handled one, but their rep is enough to keep me away.

I had a Rock River Arms AR15, but had to sell it a while ago. It was a solid rifle. Wish I still had it actually. I work with someone that has a Stag, and he seems happy with it. You should check out ar15.com and m4carbine.net . There's more info and opinions about AR's than you can possibly fathom.

Cheater5
09-22-2010, 02:49 AM
I own a Stag Arms ST-2

http://www.stagarms.com/product_info.php?cPath=13_22&products_id=207

Very happy with it; bought most of my accessories through Brownells, LaRue Tactical, and Viking Tactical (EO Tech sight, Magpul buttstock, sling...) But I guess it depends on what you want it for. I strongly suggest a modifiable upper receiver with a rail system and backup iron sights. Having the ability to add optics is a big advantage...FWIW.

its 4:30 am so if any of the above doesnt make sense- I'll clarify/correct later!

MeaTy The Pimp
09-22-2010, 04:15 AM
Out of the two rifles you have listed, I would be more inclined towards the DPMS as I know the do make a fine product. I have never owned an Olympic Arms rifle before so I cannot comment on their quality.

Having said that, I am going to have to agree with Johnny961 who suggests that you try to get it with the A2 upper instead of the A1 upper.

Hog Farmer
09-22-2010, 04:31 AM
Fraz, You should really consider getting the M4 version . Get one made by Armalite. Armalite is THE MAN in AR's. M4 is a smaller version of the Ar15 reducing your range to less than 300 yards but most fridgerators are going to be much closer anyway. I'm guessing for what you need you will like it better and it's a much more convenient weapon to carry. I own an M4, a Colt AR15 and an Armalite AR-10 in .308 Caliber. Also a nice choice is a Ruger Mini 14 . It is also 5.56 . It doesn't have the impressive appearance the AR does but will do everything the AR will. You can still get all the assessories as well as 20 /30 shot mags.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M4_carbine

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ruger_Mini-14

eazyb81
09-22-2010, 06:17 AM
Just shot one this weekend for the first time at my uncle's farm. It was amazingly awesome.

bevischief
09-22-2010, 06:41 AM
Why the **** would anyone need an Assault Rifle?

Zombies...

Bwana
09-22-2010, 06:43 AM

:spock:

Bwana
09-22-2010, 06:58 AM
On a side note Tim, you may also want to look at the AK-47 as well before you buy. A lot less issues, including jams and will stand up to dirty conditions A LOT better, IMHO.

If you want long-distance accuracy under premium conditions, get an AR.
If you want to kill someone, or multiple someones under 200 yards, go with an AK.

Shoot BigOlChiefsfan a PM on this one as well. BOCF knows his stuff all all things firearms and fine beverages like no other.

Radar Chief
09-22-2010, 07:22 AM
All I know of Olympic is from shooting a couple of friends pieces but from what I remember they were pretty solid, shot accurately, never jammed and had a decent trigger pull.

On a side note Tim, you may also want to look at the AK-47 as well before you buy. A lot less issues, including jams, IMHO.

Shoot BigOlChiefsfan a PM on this one as well. BOCF knows his stuff all all things firearms and fine beverages like no other.

The same company that makes the Kalashnikov makes one called Saiga. A buddy bought one of these last year.

http://www.raacfirearms.com/Saiga_option.htm

They're a Clinton ban beating design based on the AK47 and use the same stamped upper receiver but the trigger group is different so you can't take it full auto and there is no bayonet lug.
But yea, shoot BOCF a PM. He's very knowledgeable on all things firearms.

Nixhex
09-22-2010, 07:30 AM
Fraz, You should really consider getting the M4 version . Get one made by Armalite. Armalite is THE MAN in AR's. M4 is a smaller version of the Ar15 reducing your range to less than 300 yards but most fridgerators are going to be much closer anyway. I'm guessing for what you need you will like it better and it's a much more convenient weapon to carry. I own an M4, a Colt AR15 and an Armalite AR-10 in .308 Caliber. Also a nice choice is a Ruger Mini 14 . It is also 5.56 . It doesn't have the impressive appearance the AR does but will do everything the AR will. You can still get all the assessories as well as 20 /30 shot mags.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M4_carbine

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ruger_Mini-14

Mini 14 FTW!

I prefer the wood stock but you can get them with a collapsable folding stock and all that other jazz. The Mini 14 is more reliable than an AR in my opinion.

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/56841

Reerun_KC
09-22-2010, 07:30 AM
Your appliances giving you trouble again?

Frazod
09-22-2010, 07:33 AM
On a side note Tim, you may also want to look at the AK-47 as well before you buy. A lot less issues, including jams and will stand up to dirty conditions A LOT better, IMHO.

If you want long-distance accuracy under premium conditions, get an AR.
If you want to kill someone, or multiple someones under 200 yards, go with an AK.

I shot both the AR and the AK over the summer. I must admit that the AK was more fun to shoot, but the AR just seemed like a better weapon.

Do you have any recommendations on a manufacturer? Some of them are so cheap that the price alone sends up a warning flag.

As for the Saiga, Bud's is out of stock, but I'll check around. Buying online seems to be my best option price-wise.

Frazod
09-22-2010, 07:35 AM
Your appliances giving you trouble again?

Here's a blanket nlm for the refrigerator crowd. Bastards.

Yeah, I'm looking for something that'll put it down for good. :D

3rd&48ers
09-22-2010, 07:39 AM

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Thats Why

huffmd15
09-22-2010, 07:53 AM
From a tactical point of view... the A1 upper is going to significantly limit your capabilities to modify the weapon down the road as far as optics are concerned. I know you don't want to buy a set of flip up sights right away, but I'd spend the extra coulpe bucks now.

LaRue Tactical is a new company, but their stuff is great. Performance and price wise. A co-worker shot some of their stuff at some training last week and my agency will probably be purchasing a whole pile of rifles from them. GOOD PEOPLE to deal with too from what we've seen so far.

Frazod
09-22-2010, 08:05 AM
From a tactical point of view... the A1 upper is going to significantly limit your capabilities to modify the weapon down the road as far as optics are concerned. I know you don't want to buy a set of flip up sights right away, but I'd spend the extra coulpe bucks now.

LaRue Tactical is a new company, but their stuff is great. Performance and price wise. A co-worker shot some of their stuff at some training last week and my agency will probably be purchasing a whole pile of rifles from them. GOOD PEOPLE to deal with too from what we've seen so far.

The more I think about it, the more I agree with this sentiment about the A1 upper. I think the long range benefits of flexibility with regard to upgrades outweighs the "comes with a sight" instant gratification.

I'll check out LaRue as well. Thanks.

chiefsnorth
09-22-2010, 08:36 AM
Consider the difference in rounds and the situation you might be using it in. Some people are in a school that would say, after basic reliability is assuaged, you should choose the round and then the delivery platform

MOhillbilly
09-22-2010, 08:52 AM
Had a colt match grade HB ar-15. wasnt anything special imo. The soviet paratroop SKS i purchased later was a far superior rifle imo.

Delano
09-22-2010, 08:59 AM
That, or the Zombie Apocalypse. You can never be too careful.

The Zombie Survival Guide lists the assault rifle as one of the best firearms to deal with roamers.

kaplin42
09-22-2010, 09:01 AM
With no coffee yet, I saw your thread title as

Advice on getting an AIDS

Frazod
09-22-2010, 09:02 AM
With no coffee yet, I saw your thread title as

Advice on getting an AIDS

I understand there's a tree for that. LMAO

MOhillbilly
09-22-2010, 09:03 AM
The Zombie Survival Guide lists the assault rifle as one of the best firearms to deal with roamers.

mossberg 590 w/ tactical sling, pistol grip, heat shield and m-16 bayonet, along with two one hundred round bandoleros filled with #4 buckshot and high velocity bird shot in 2.75 & 3in.

Frazod
09-22-2010, 09:04 AM
Had a colt match grade HB ar-15. wasnt anything special imo. The soviet paratroop SKS i purchased later was a far superior rifle imo.

My best friend has an SKS, and I wasn't terribly impressed with it. Of course, he's notoriously cheap, and I assume his rifle was as well.

MOhillbilly
09-22-2010, 09:06 AM
My best friend has an SKS, and I wasn't terribly impressed with it. Of course, he's notoriously cheap, and I assume his rifle was as well.

The soviet made sks is an animal. Take it to the bank.

sparkky
09-22-2010, 09:11 AM
I would suggest to anyone shopping for an AR that has NOT been up close and personal with them make sure they are aware of what it takes to properly disassemble and maintain them. they require a fair amount of TLC compared to other military type weapons.

they are fairly light and usually are pretty accurate. some owners report they don't have good luck shooting steel cased ammo, which is cheaper, compared to brass cases. they do have a nice "feel" to them and little recoil compared to 30 caliber ammo.

the barrel rifling, or "twist", is an important consideration too. I would recommend "1 in 9" twist rate. it's kind of middle of the road. early rifling was 1 in 12 and made for 55 grain bullets. 1 in 7 is for heavier bullets like a 62 or 65 grain. and it DOES make a difference.

Delano
09-22-2010, 09:16 AM
mossberg 590 w/ tactical sling, pistol grip, heat shield and m-16 bayonet, along with two one hundred round bandoleros filled with #4 buckshot and high velocity bird shot in 2.75 & 3in.

Can that punch through a skull at a good distance? Remember, destroying a zombie's body does nothing - you must breach the head.

Frazod
09-22-2010, 09:16 AM
The soviet made sks is an animal. Take it to the bank.

His is Chinese, IIRC.

Mr. Laz
09-22-2010, 09:17 AM
Murderer

MOhillbilly
09-22-2010, 09:17 AM
Fraz, hit up roman gnome and def. BOCF.

If youre killin zombies imo i want something w/ more power than a .223.
Sure a .223 blow a sting of guts out the exit wound 3 ft long, but a .308 or 7.62 will blow a chunk of man flesh the size of a softball out of the EW.
power on the battlefield means something.

gblowfish
09-22-2010, 09:19 AM
When are you planning your attack on Lawrence?
You're probably going to need some artillery...

sparkky
09-22-2010, 09:20 AM
another consideration I forgot is what type of setting do you see yourself in when you "might" need to use it.

I personally would choose a different weapon for "urban" defense as opposed to "wide open spaces" type settings.

HC_Chief
09-22-2010, 09:20 AM
Bushmaster FTW

re: .308 or 7.62, the AR is modular. You can buy upper receivers which chamber different rounds. Going from 5.56 to 6.5 or .308 (or even 50cal) is as easy as two pin pushes and an upper receiver mount (approx 1 minute total; even less with practice) ;)

MOhillbilly
09-22-2010, 09:21 AM
His is Chinese, IIRC.

some chinese ive fired were nice, some sucked balls. Id spend the extra loot and get a soviet, JMO.

Frazod
09-22-2010, 09:23 AM
I would suggest to anyone shopping for an AR that has NOT been up close and personal with them make sure they are aware of what it takes to properly disassemble and maintain them. they require a fair amount of TLC compared to other military type weapons.

they are fairly light and usually are pretty accurate. some owners report they don't have good luck shooting steel cased ammo, which is cheaper, compared to brass cases. they do have a nice "feel" to them and little recoil compared to 30 caliber ammo.

the barrel rifling, or "twist", is an important consideration too. I would recommend "1 in 9" twist rate. it's kind of middle of the road. early rifling was 1 in 12 and made for 55 grain bullets. 1 in 7 is for heavier bullets like a 62 or 65 grain. and it DOES make a difference.

I'll definitely take the time to figure it out - I'm very anal about keeping my guns clean.

The DPMS and the Oly both have the 1 in 9 twist rate. I'll have to check the Doublestar site later (I really don't want to access too many gun sites from work - might make the IT guy nervous).

Frazod
09-22-2010, 09:24 AM
When are you planning your attack on Lawrence?
You're probably going to need some artillery...

Sure. The more the merrier! :evil:

sparkky
09-22-2010, 09:25 AM
Bushmaster FTW

re: .308 or 7.62, the AR is modular. You can buy upper receivers which chamber different rounds. Going from 5.56 to 6.5 or .308 (or even 50cal) is as easy as two pin pushes and an upper receiver mount (approx 1 minute total; even less with practice) ;)

but do the lowers interchange? what about the mag well size? :hmmm:
;)

MOhillbilly
09-22-2010, 09:29 AM
Bushmaster FTW

Give me one rifle, a beefy caliber, that can take a beating.

Reminds me of the sayin about the ol boy who has one dog.

MOhillbilly
09-22-2010, 09:30 AM
Sure. The more the merrier! :evil:

psss.. i have a canon.;)

sparkky
09-22-2010, 09:31 AM
Give me one rifle, a beefy caliber, that can take a beating.

Reminds me of the sayin about the ol boy who has one dog.

FAL or AK?

MOhillbilly
09-22-2010, 09:31 AM
raybec knows his shit aswell.

MOhillbilly
09-22-2010, 09:33 AM
FAL or AK?

AK. FAL is to front heavy.

Socom m14 if i was gonna spend some loot.

sparkky
09-22-2010, 09:34 AM
AK. FAL is to front heavy.

Socom m14 if i was gonna spend some loot.

man after my own heart!!!
but cutting a FAL barrel down to 16" or 18" and go with no bipod works for me too!! ;)

MOhillbilly
09-22-2010, 09:39 AM
man after my own heart!!!
but cutting a FAL barrel down to 16" or 18" and go with no bipod works for me too!! ;)

M1918 BAR cutdown is my dream zombie killin gun.:evil:

sparkky
09-22-2010, 09:40 AM
Mr. Browning was a very smart man!!!

it was the weapon of choice for Bonnie and Clyde as I recall.

MOhillbilly
09-22-2010, 09:43 AM

i like them old school, died in the wool, trial by fire, combat arms.

MOhillbilly
09-22-2010, 09:44 AM

it was the weapon of choice for Bonnie and Clyde as I recall.

And why the ATF has a class III tax.:harumph:

thebrad84
09-22-2010, 10:24 AM
http://www.pof-usa.com/p415/p415-14-11sx-223.htm

I'm not a huge gun buff myself, but my buddy who is much more knowledgeable on AR's has one of these and says he has never shot a smoother feeling AR. Apparently these baby's don't ever need a drop of oil in them, thus making them much, much easier to clean. My buddy says that alone is worth every penny, as apparently AR's are notorious for being a pain in the ass to maintain.

Radar Chief
09-22-2010, 10:25 AM
His is Chinese, IIRC.

Norinco. So is mine and I can shoot a very tight pattern with it.
Pre-Clinton ban when they were going for $50 bucks a piece I wish I'd have bought 5 of them.

2bikemike
09-22-2010, 11:16 AM
When I built my AR I went to AR15.com and got lots of good information.

Here is a link to an article for the ideal rifle you can learn some about the rifles and options. http://www.ar15.com/content/articles/idealRifle/

I built mine from a local manufacturer. I went in talked to their Amorer and together we sat down and he guided me through the build. I have to say its very acurate and a blast to shoot.

I chose the 5.56 which is a very available and inexpensive round. This will allow you to shoot the .223 as well. If you go the other way and chamber in
.223 you shouldn't be shooting the 5.56. The pressures are greater in the 5.56 round.

Right now I am using the BUIS to ensure I am proficient with those.(at least thats what I tell myself. Actually I just need to recover from a year of Gun Safe spending) I will eventually get some sort of optic. Right now I am leaning toward ACOG. Pricey but a very fine optic.

BigOlChiefsfan
09-22-2010, 11:21 AM
Wish I'd read all this before I send you a message. I don't shoot AR's, so I don't feel competent to give advice on brand reccos - but I do like Bud's Guns, and vouch for them.

When I have questions re: 223 for my Mini 14, I look up AR info at this forum - I pay attention to these folks, and would suggest you look for reviews and recco's there:

http://www.ar15.com/

Slight tangent, I like the SAIGA rifles (and shotguns), I'm partial to the AK platform over the AR for my own purposes, and find the SAIGA quality to be top notch (for what it is). If you decide to go that route, recommend picking up a cheap vanilla Saiga and doing your own conversion with some help from these fellows:

http://www.saiga-12.com/

Or buy a converted Saiga from Arsenal or Krebs

http://www.arsenalinc.com/products.htm
http://www.krebscustom.com/

johnny961
09-22-2010, 11:53 AM
;)

No. The magwell becomes nonfunctional when going to a round with a longer case. Yes, there are kits out there that will allow you to convert a standard ar-15 to a larger caliber such as the .308 or even a .50bmg, but all of these that I'm aware of limit the use of the rifle to a single shot or some as a bolt action using a side located magwell in the upper. That is a big difference between the ar-15 and ar-10 lowers. The 10 is physically longer and has a larger magwell to accomodate the .308. But if the rifle is going to be used for hunting as well as casual shooting there are rounds like the 6.8 spc that will work in the standard ar-15 lower magwell and are much better suited for deer sized game than the .223.

johnny961
09-22-2010, 12:00 PM
A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Thats Why

My sentiment exactly. Just like any other choice in life. I don't NEED about half the toys I've accumulated over the years(firearms, boats, atv's etc) but choose to have them.

johnny961
09-22-2010, 12:05 PM
The more I think about it, the more I agree with this sentiment about the A1 upper. I think the long range benefits of flexibility with regard to upgrades outweighs the "comes with a sight" instant gratification.

I'll check out LaRue as well. Thanks.

Thats nother option in the AR platform you may not want to overlook is the
A3 flattop upper. these come with no sights, but a standard flip up sight isn't that expensive. And mounting a scope or red-dot sight to these later if you choose is a snap. There are tons of sight options with this upper combo.

PastorMikH
09-22-2010, 12:12 PM
Here's a blanket nlm for the refrigerator crowd. Bastards.

Yeah, I'm looking for something that'll put it down for good. :D

Read the thread title and I have to admit I was thinking that now your fridge would be taking multiple bullets instead of just one.

LMAO

MOhillbilly
09-22-2010, 12:12 PM
i have a warehouse of canons if you guys are lookin.

2bikemike
09-22-2010, 12:19 PM
My sentiment exactly. Just like any other choice in life. I don't NEED about half the toys I've accumulated over the years(firearms, boats, atv's etc) but choose to have them.

Exactly, I may not be able to drive a 180 mph but it sure would be nice to own an exotic italian sports car.

Pants
09-22-2010, 12:23 PM
So if society crumbles and everything goes to shit, what do you guys think would be the best rifle to protect your household/hunt for resources?

johnny961
09-22-2010, 12:24 PM
Exactly, I may not be able to drive a 180 mph but it sure would be nice to own an exotic italian sports car.

Not 180mph legally, anyway.:evil:

johnny961
09-22-2010, 12:30 PM
So if society crumbles and everything goes to shit, what do you guys think would be the best rifle to protect your household/hunt for resources?

I personally don't worry about everything going to hell in a handbag, but if I were limited to one gun and one gun only for everything, it would be a shotgun. Range is really limited but versatile enough for several types of hunting, target shooting, home defense, etc. Thats just my personal opinion though.

MOhillbilly
09-22-2010, 12:34 PM
I personally don't worry about everything going to hell in a handbag, but if I were limited to one gun and one gun only for everything, it would be a shotgun. Range is really limited but versatile enough for several types of hunting, target shooting, home defense, etc. Thats just my personal opinion though.

X2

tooge
09-22-2010, 12:37 PM
X2

pretty much. a nice shorter barreled gun (mine is a 22 inch browning BPS 12 gg.) can shoot small game shot, a slug for bigger game, and #2 shot if someones trying to come into the house. I have other guns, but none can do it all like that one.

2bikemike
09-22-2010, 12:42 PM

For me the AR is my SHTF weapon. Theres a reason the military uses them.

Pants
09-22-2010, 01:03 PM
For me the AR is my SHTF weapon. Theres a reason the military uses them.

But isn't the AK more reliable under shit conditions?

Fish
09-22-2010, 01:06 PM

AA12 auto shotgun....

<object width="480" height="385">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/hhstuvzMiB0?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></object>

With a Taurus Judge as a sidearm...

<object width="640" height="385">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ttFslPwNEuc&border=1&color1=0x6699&color2=0x54abd6&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always" width="640" height="385"></object>

Pants
09-22-2010, 01:07 PM
AA12 auto shotgun....

<object width="480" height="385">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/hhstuvzMiB0?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></object>

With a Taurus Judge as a sidearm...

<object width="640" height="385">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ttFslPwNEuc&border=1&color1=0x6699&color2=0x54abd6&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always" width="640" height="385"></object>

I can't watch the videos at work but I know the guns. LMAO

johnny961
09-22-2010, 01:14 PM
But isn't the AK more reliable under shit conditions?

The AR does require more TLC than the AK for pure functionality. But the AR is FAR more accurate. For each their own, but as far as rifles are concerned I'd rather have a single shot thats gonna put that single bullet EXACTLY where I aim it as opposed to something with a large capacity that I can't hold a group with.

NewChief
09-22-2010, 01:15 PM

On top of that, reloads are easier with them than a rifle. So you could fashion your own ammo a hell of a lot easier if self-sufficiency was required (of course, you're still going to need ammo and primer caps.

Demonpenz
09-22-2010, 01:15 PM
put that shit to work and take out some Steely dan fans

MOhillbilly
09-22-2010, 01:16 PM
pretty much. a nice shorter barreled gun (mine is a 22 inch browning BPS 12 gg.) can shoot small game shot, a slug for bigger game, and #2 shot if someones trying to come into the house. I have other guns, but none can do it all like that one.

i have a few guns. can count em one hand. nothing special except for my shotgun. Its as short as is legal and with a push of a button its in my palm.
and thats all i have to say about that.;)

MOhillbilly
09-22-2010, 01:17 PM
The AR does require more TLC than the AK for pure functionality. But the AR is FAR more accurate. For each their own, but as far as rifles are concerned I'd rather have a single shot thats gonna put that single bullet EXACTLY where I aim it as opposed to something with a large capacity that I can't hold a group with.

SKS v AK?

johnny961
09-22-2010, 01:26 PM
On top of that, reloads are easier with them than a rifle. So you could fashion your own ammo a hell of a lot easier if self-sufficiency was required (of course, you're still going to need ammo and primer caps.

Another good point for some if limited to factory ammo. I'm already set up to reload both though so it wouldn't matter to me.

Iowanian
09-22-2010, 01:28 PM
When the shtf I'm going with my favorite category.

M21 EBR with silencer and fmj
winchester 1887 with Akimbo and FMJ

and useful perks of Bling Pro, Lightweight and Scavenger

Dayze
09-22-2010, 01:42 PM

LMAO

as I started reading that, I was like "ok, yeah, that'll work nicely"...
then got to the 1887 and though "hmmm...ok. but, I guess so"

...then Akimbo and Bling pro and I lost it. lol

well played.

Pants
09-22-2010, 01:45 PM

Must have Cold Blood Pro for when the SHTF.

kepp
09-22-2010, 03:42 PM

We're marching on Lawrence again.

Frazod
09-22-2010, 03:45 PM
We're marching on Lawrence again.

Sweet. We left too many alive last time, and look what happened! :D

HC_Chief
09-22-2010, 04:06 PM
;)

Same lower receiver to chamber all cartridges. that's one of the biggest strengths of the AR... you can go from 5.56mm to .50cal in less than a minute.

My next purchase is the gas piston system (to replace the gas blowback). Improves performance /reliability(though i've never had an issue) and keeps it much cleaner (THIS FTW!).

TrebMaxx
09-22-2010, 04:15 PM
Same lower receiver to chamber all cartridges. that's one of the biggest strengths of the AR... you can go from 5.56mm to .50cal in less than a minute.

My next purchase is the gas piston system (to replace the gas blowback). Improves performance /reliability(though i've never had an issue) and keeps it much cleaner (THIS FTW!).

I have my AR setup with the gas piston. Makes for easy cleaning and reduces heat.

Chiefs Pantalones
09-22-2010, 04:20 PM
When glancing at the thread title I thought it said "Advice on getting AIDS."

Iowanian
09-22-2010, 04:35 PM
Some guy I know has built a handful, and the last 2 have had lowers by spikes and uppers by cmmg that I'm told are functioning just fine. They're not high end and ar snobs may turn up their nose, but they're affordable and functional..I'm told.

Buck
09-22-2010, 04:50 PM
Serious question.

Lets say you have a shotgun for home defense. I'm assuming you'd want buckshot, but really I don't know anything about guns...

Anyways, an intruder comes into your condo or apartment and you shoot at him, and some of the shot goes into the condo or house that shares a wall with you.

Who is responsible for the damage/injuries next door?

2bikemike
09-22-2010, 04:52 PM
Some guy I know has built a handful, and the last 2 have had lowers by cmmg and uppers by spike's that I'm told are functioning just fine. They're not high end and ar snobs may turn up their nose, but they're affordable and functional..I'm told.

Thats the beauty of the AR15 platform. Here in the FUBAR state I live in you have to be very careful about how you put your rifle together. First you have to get what is considered a OLL (off list lower) Which is not banned by the state. Mine is a JD Tech lower. Since the Lower is the functioning part of the firearm it is the only piece that has paper work. The Upper can be from any manufacturer.

If you want a good laugh or maybe throw up in your mouth a little check out this flow chart for what you can and can't have in the state of Cali.

http://www.calguns.net/caawid/flowchart.html

googlegoogle
09-22-2010, 04:53 PM
There's a website that shows how to make an automatic rifle out of pipes. pretty interesting. http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=5&ved=0CCsQFjAE&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.scribd.com%2Fdoc%2F3895312%2Fhome-made-9mm-machinegun&ei=pYiaTK_1AYiWnAec6rUf&usg=AFQjCNFGbIEE9hv2JKzAHos7BxvhETDQbA&sig2=RMqCQe6FgFUS5OAMwxjNLA

2bikemike
09-22-2010, 04:59 PM
Serious question.

Lets say you have a shotgun for home defense. I'm assuming you'd want buckshot, but really I don't know anything about guns...

Anyways, an intruder comes into your condo or apartment and you shoot at him, and some of the shot goes into the condo or house that shares a wall with you.

IANAL but if you are justified in shooting an intruder in the commission of a crime the way I understand it the intruder gets tagged with the extra. It would be no different than say the driver of the get away car at a bank job gone bad would still be charged with what ever murder happened in the bank even though he was sitting in the car.

The round penetrating a wall into an adjacent living space whether it be a house condo or apt is a very real concern in any home defense choice.

kepp
09-22-2010, 05:01 PM
Serious question.

I'm pretty sure that it would be the gun owner's fault.
Posted via Mobile Device

Frazod
09-22-2010, 05:53 PM
Serious question.

I'm not a shotgun guy, but for rifles and handguns they make these:

http://www.dakotaammo.net/Glaserandreg-Safety-Slug/500/500/dept

These rounds are designed to not penetrate walls, yet do even more damage than a normal round to tissue. Anybody who has common-wall neighbors should keep their first response weapon loaded with them. If you grease an intruder, you're okay - if the bullet whacks the lady next door, you're going to jail.

bevischief
09-22-2010, 06:26 PM
Whichever one I can common ammo for when the zombies attack...

Iowanian
09-23-2010, 09:12 AM
Serious question.

WHY ON EARTH WOULD YOU NEED A SHOTGUN? Don't you know how scary they look and sound?

Maybe you'd be better off choking out an intruder with a feather boa and whining them to death.

The advantage of using buck shot is that it's not likely to penetrate a wall like a .45 hollowpoint.

the truth is, if I'm in enough fear for the safety of my family and myself that I bring a fire arm into the equation, I'm perfectly fine with fixing a drywall patch on the neighbor's wall. It's better to be judged by 12 than help 6 carry a member of your family in my world.

bevischief
09-23-2010, 09:49 AM
http://zombiecombatclub.com/

MOhillbilly
09-23-2010, 10:21 AM
inside im using bird shot. buckshot will fuck you up no doubt. birdshot will cut you in half up close.

Iowanian
09-23-2010, 10:35 AM
I know at least 3 people who have been shot with a shotgun...2 with #4. one took a shot in the face and it ripped him up, the other in the back, shoulder and arm...you'd be amazed what 1 single #4 pellet will do to a thumb.

Pennywise
09-23-2010, 10:47 AM
I know at least 3 people who have been shot with a shotgun...2 with #4. one took a shot in the face and it ripped him up, the other in the back, shoulder and arm...you'd be amazed what 1 single #4 pellet will do to a thumb.

Or a Classic NV4, which is now holding up a tire swing now.

alanm
09-23-2010, 10:49 AM
I prefer the old school brand. And I'm partial to 9mm.
Is a .223 enough firepower for you Tim. ;)

The Pedestrian
09-23-2010, 10:55 AM

Well, he does live in a spot that's high risk to Canadian invasion...

Frazod
09-23-2010, 10:58 AM
At this point I think I'm going to go with the DPMS Panther - either the Oracle or the Sporticle. One has an A3 upper, the other an A4. Any real difference/advantage between A3 and A4?

MOhillbilly
09-23-2010, 11:35 AM
ive shot enough curs with a shotgun to know that point blank a 12 w#4 will blow a golfball size hole through a skull that you can see daylight through. With birdshot it takes the entire head off.
I also know that up close w/ hi vel. bird shot that itll make a hole in a 84 ford ranger i can stick my fist through.

johnny961
09-23-2010, 11:43 AM
At this point I think I'm going to go with the DPMS Panther - either the Oracle or the Sporticle. One has an A3 upper, the other an A4. Any real difference/advantage between A3 and A4?

Good choice. I think the A3 is a bit cheaper if cost is a concern. Not real familiar with the A4 though as the A3 did everything I needed it to do, so I never really looked into it. I think you'd be happy with that DPMS in the A3 upper.:D

TrebMaxx
09-23-2010, 12:14 PM
Good choice. I think the A3 is a bit cheaper if cost is a concern. Not real familiar with the A4 though as the A3 did everything I needed it to do, so I never really looked into it. I think you'd be happy with that DPMS in the A3 upper.:D

Good choice. You will be happier with the A3/A4. The A4 is the same beast as the A3, flat top upper. There is just some confusion with the names between civilian and military versions.

Frazod
09-23-2010, 12:18 PM

The difference is negligible - only about $30. But I may go with the Oracle just because Sporticle sounds retarded.

Frazod
09-25-2010, 02:17 PM
Went up to Cabellas today, and they actually had an Oracle on sale for $700, which was just over Bud's price, so I went ahead and got it, along with a laser site. I'll be able to pick it up tomorrow.

Ready for the zombie apocalypse. Woohoo!

Fairplay
09-25-2010, 02:47 PM
yahoo shoot those zombies up dude!

Watch out they can bite.

Frazod
09-25-2010, 02:49 PM
Rule No. 2 - Double tap. :D

Misplaced_Chiefs_Fan
09-25-2010, 02:51 PM
If I had unlimited funds, (*yeah right*), I'd look into getting the VZ-58, a VZ-61 and a CZ-75 for handguns and a Atchisson Assault Shotgun to back me up during a zombie apocalypse.

Actually, I do want to pick up a -58 and a -61 someday.

Just need to pay off some bills first.

rocks
09-25-2010, 03:12 PM
DPMS makes a quality weapon but I prefer the Colt. I've had mine now for 11 years and it has preformed very well without any problems. Be mindful to keep your weapon clean.

johnny961
09-25-2010, 09:38 PM
Went up to Cabellas today, and they actually had an Oracle on sale for $700, which was just over Bud's price, so I went ahead and got it, along with a laser site. I'll be able to pick it up tomorrow.

Ready for the zombie apocalypse. Woohoo!

Sweet! Thats not a bad deal at all. I think you'll really like it. When you get a chance to shoot it let us know what you think. I've had my DPMS A3 for around 7 yrs now and put around 5000 rounds through it with no problems. Hope you enjoy!

Frazod
09-25-2010, 10:33 PM
Sweet! Thats not a bad deal at all. I think you'll really like it. When you get a chance to shoot it let us know what you think. I've had my DPMS A3 for around 7 yrs now and put around 5000 rounds through it with no problems. Hope you enjoy!

I'm going to have to find a decent rifle range to take it to - I don't even know where one is in this area.

It's times like this I miss living in Kirksville.

JoeyChuckles
09-26-2010, 12:08 AM
Guns and butter fellas, guns and butter.