PDA

View Full Version : Nebraska Nebraska settles with Big 12

Braincase
09-22-2010, 06:40 AM
I remember someone posting that Nebraska wouldn't owe the conference anything over their early bolt. Looks like the suit won't hit the courts.

Link (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=5601182)

LINCOLN, Neb. -- Nebraska's departure from the Big 12 Conference will cost the university more than $9 million.
The Big 12 and the university announced a settlement on Tuesday in which the conference will withhold $9.255 million in conference distributions rather than the estimated $19.4 million the Big 12 had sought to withhold under its bylaws.
"We feel the long-term benefits of entering into the Big Ten, both academically and athletically, will make this a very good investment," athletic director Tom Osborne said.

Under the settlement mediated by Eric Green of Boston, Nebraska can reduce its penalty to $8.755 million if the Cornhuskers are one of two Big 12 teams to play in a BCS bowl game this season.
Chancellor Harvey Perlman said the BCS condition was negotiated because Nebraska would be creating a $4 million to $5 million windfall for the Big 12 if it and another conference team make it to one of the high-profile bowl games.
The $19.4 million the Big 12 originally wanted to keep from Nebraska represents 80 percent of the projected distributions that would have been paid to Nebraska for 2009-10 and 2010-11.
Nebraska becomes an official member of the Big Ten on July 1, 2011.
The Big Ten distributed $22 million to each of its schools last year. Over the past four years Nebraska received approximately $10 million annually in revenues from the Big 12.
Conference distributions are divided among member schools mostly from revenues derived from football and men's basketball television contracts, bowl games and the NCAA men's basketball tournament.
"I think everybody knew there was going to be a dispute," Big 12 commissioner Dan Beebe said in a teleconference Tuesday night. "They were firm in their positions, we were firm in ours, and we worked out the compromise."
When Nebraska's move to the Big Ten was announced in June, Perlman, a former law professor, said he didn't think Nebraska should be required to pay a penalty because the Big 12 was in a state of flux, with some schools negotiating with the Pac-10.
"I still think we had a very significant legal argument that would have prevented them from imposing any penalty," Perlman said Tuesday. "I'm also cognizant of the risks associated with litigation. What I think is the law may not turn out to be the law.
"I'm disappointed, as an academic, that my curiosity about the legal claims won't be resolved. But when you look at everything, I think it made sense in this setting to get this behind us and avoid the risks of litigation."
Colorado officials also negotiated an early exit with the Big 12 so the Buffaloes could play in the Pac-10 next season, instead of having to wait until 2012. Colorado agreed to have $6.863 million withheld from its conference revenue in order to leave on June 30, 2011.
"We are pleased that, with this issue behind us, the Big 12 is poised to begin the transition to its exciting future as a 10-member Conference beginning in July," Beebe said in a statement.
Beebe, who was to hold a teleconference with reporters Tuesday night, added that negotiations with Nebraska were "collegial and respectful."
"I appreciate the cooperation of chancellor Harvey Perlman and Nebraska staff," Beebe said. "The Big 12 has enjoyed its relationship with Nebraska and wishes it well in the future."

chris
09-22-2010, 07:35 AM
[QUOTE=Braincase;7026842]I remember someone posting that Nebraska wouldn't owe the conference anything over their early bolt. Looks like the suit won't hit the courts.

Perlman sounds like a typical lawyer...never wrong and pompous.

Goodbye Nebraska; take your sorry "I can't beat Oklahoma or Texas..so I quit" act to the Big 10.

Sam Hall
09-22-2010, 07:56 AM
So, what's everyone going to have for breakfast today?

Raiderhader
09-22-2010, 08:47 AM
Under the settlement mediated by Eric Green of Boston, Nebraska can reduce its penalty to $8.755 million if the Cornhuskers are one of two Big 12 teams to play in a BCS bowl game this season.

Well then, everybody in the Big 12 had better be gunning for these guys.

Saulbadguy
09-22-2010, 09:03 AM
Well then, everybody in the Big 12 had better be gunning for these guys.

It would actually be more beneficial to the Big XII if they DID make a BCS game, because they'd get the revenue from that + the exit penalty, which would be more than the exit penalty by itself.

big nasty kcnut
09-22-2010, 09:21 AM
Bye losers

Baconeater
09-22-2010, 09:21 AM

Goodbye Nebraska; take your sorry "I can't beat Oklahoma or Texas..so I quit" act to the Big 10.
I'm surprised that bothers you seeing that you're quite the pompous ass yourself.

Sam Hall
09-22-2010, 09:32 AM
Nobody should be upset at Nebraska and Colorado for leaving. Tex Beebe sent an e-mail to the conference athletic directors saying NU and CU leaving wouldn't hurt the conference. He even sent it to Tom Osborne:LOL:

Saulbadguy
09-22-2010, 09:34 AM
Nobody should be upset at Nebraska and Colorado for leaving. Tex Beebe sent an e-mail to the conference athletic directors saying NU and CU leaving wouldn't hurt the conference. He even sent it to Tom Osborne:LOL:

It doesn't hurt the conference. From a purely monetary standpoint, it is mutually beneficial.

Baconeater
09-22-2010, 09:38 AM
Meh, it's jealousy. Every fan of the other B12 north teams would've loved to have done the same thing.

chiefsnorth
09-22-2010, 09:39 AM
[QUOTE=Braincase;7026842]I remember someone posting that Nebraska wouldn't owe the conference anything over their early bolt. Looks like the suit won't hit the courts.

So you feel that Nebraska couldn't hack it in the Big 12, and that's why they are moving to a more difficult conference?

Sam Hall
09-22-2010, 09:44 AM
From what I hear, Texas A&M-Austin will fight hard to get most of this money. Nebraska will recover pretty quickly because of revenue generated by the Big Ten Network.

kchero
09-22-2010, 09:49 AM
Meh, it's jealousy. Every fan of the other B12 north teams would've loved to have done the same thing.

Absolutely, if Mizzou was chosen I would have jumped on it too. I do not blame Nebraska one bit for bailing, its just sad to see a team and a state that is tied so close to this region and conference leave. It is going to suck not having those games every year against our neighbor state.

Baconeater
09-22-2010, 09:55 AM
So you feel that Nebraska couldn't hack it in the Big 12, and that's why they are moving to a more difficult conference?
What's funny about his comment is that Nebraska just beat Oklahoma last year.

Baconeater
09-22-2010, 09:56 AM
Absolutely, if Mizzou was chosen I would have jumped on it too. I do not blame Nebraska one bit for bailing, its just sad to see a team and a state that is tied so close to this region and conference leave. It is going to suck not having those games every year against our neighbor state.
You'll still have the KU game. :D

But yeah, I was really hoping Mizzou would bolt with us and really leave the Big XII high and dry. Not to mention we had quite the rivalry brewing.

BWillie
09-22-2010, 10:04 AM
The Cornhuskers are sorry sacks of shit. They kept trying to get around this. Making excuses even publicly. They should even be paying more than this according to the Big 12 bylaws

Bearcat2005
09-22-2010, 10:11 AM

But yeah, I was really hoping Mizzou would bolt with us and really leave the Big XII high and dry. Not to mention we had quite the rivalry brewing.

Maybe in a couple years :hmmm:

As long as MU would keep KU on its schedule I would have been all for it.

chris
09-22-2010, 10:14 AM
I'm surprised that bothers you seeing that you're quite the pompous ass yourself.

Coming from you, I'll take that as a compliment. Thank you!

Sam Hall
09-22-2010, 10:14 AM
I look forward to seeing Mizzou, Iowa State, Pittsburgh and Notre Dame join the Big Ten in 2015.

chris
09-22-2010, 10:19 AM
What's funny about his comment is that Nebraska just beat Oklahoma last year.

Every mangy dog will get his "win a game" bite every so often.

And yes, I'm an OU fan. :) We lost to virtually everyone last year.

How many conference championships has NU won? ZERO.

If you can't win, whine, whine, whine and go elsewhere. Quitters

Sam Hall
09-22-2010, 10:22 AM

And yes, I'm an OU fan. :) We lost to virtually everyone last year.

If you can't win, whine, whine, whine and go elsewhere. Quitters

Last time I checked, Nebraska has won 46 conference championships. No one has won more games in the past 50 years than us. I would think an OU fan would know this.

chris
09-22-2010, 10:24 AM

Funny that you say North teams. Maybe so...as they can't win conference championships.

If you can't raise your game, quit and hopefully win somewhere else.

Huskers fan are so easy to get pissed off on this topic...as they know that NU admin are quitters. :)

This is a fun topic....five years from now, no one will care about NU quitters, but yanking Y'all chains is fun.

chris
09-22-2010, 10:26 AM
Last time I checked, Nebraska has won 46 conference championships. No one has won more games in the past 50 years than us. I would think an OU fan would know this.

Big 12 FOOTBALL championships. Not table tennis.

BWillie
09-22-2010, 10:27 AM
I look forward to seeing Mizzou, Iowa State, Pittsburgh and Notre Dame join the Big Ten in 2015.

If you think Iowa State is ever going to be in the Big 10, you might be retarded. No offense.

Sam Hall
09-22-2010, 10:28 AM

You're showing your ignorance. NU isn't exactly afraid to play another highly-ranked team.

Baconeater
09-22-2010, 10:29 AM
Oh, I'm sorry, I wasn't aware that last year's win doesn't count.

LMAO Seriously?

Baconeater
09-22-2010, 10:29 AM
97 & 99, you dumb motherfucker.

Sam Hall
09-22-2010, 10:30 AM
If you think Iowa State is ever going to be in the Big 10, you might be retarded. No offense.

It was a hypothetical based on geography. Of course, Iowa State wouldn't be the best program in the conference.

chris
09-22-2010, 10:35 AM
97 & 99, you dumb mother****er.

You mean 10-11 YEARS ago?????????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Whoopie do!

Sorry, that is not recent history. My mistake. I think my old university (MU-Rolla) won a football championship back in the 70s, so yes, I'm proud of my school.

You should be very proud of NU! Maybe they will win a championship in the next decade.

Baconeater
09-22-2010, 10:37 AM

Whoopie do!

You should be very proud of yourself!
Oh, I should've known that those don't count either. You just go ahead and keep moving the goal posts as you see fit.

Braincase
09-22-2010, 11:04 AM
I will miss their volleyball players.

chris
09-22-2010, 11:11 AM
I will miss their volleyball players.

Do they look like Suh?

Bowser
09-22-2010, 11:40 AM
I will miss their volleyball players.Indeed. On top of being hawt, they were fun to watch play. Those girls can mash.

And I will settle with Nebraska next time we go to visit relatives in Aurora and I take a honkin' fiberlicious dump in an authentic Nebraska toilet.

Bowser
09-22-2010, 11:41 AM
Do they look like Suh?Heh. No. Not even Saleamua's daughter looked like Suh.

vailpass
09-22-2010, 01:09 PM
97 & 99, you dumb mother****er.

LMAO

Valiant
09-22-2010, 01:44 PM

I think these superconferences are going to backfire unless we get a 10-16team playoffs.
Going to have too many great teams beating up each other giving out losses and dropping their bcs rankings since sos is not that important.

Well my opinion of what is going to happen.

Great money for the schools though.

Chocolate Hog
09-22-2010, 02:04 PM

I seem to remember Nebraska beating OU last year.

Sweet Daddy Hate
09-22-2010, 03:58 PM
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4046/4400033206_46e4636178_o.gif

Dartgod
09-22-2010, 04:36 PM
That doesn't count. Neither do any conference championships that did not occur this century. :rolleyes:

chris
09-22-2010, 04:40 PM
[QUOTE=chris;7026864]

Everyone beat OU last year. 1 or 2 times out of 10 still means you can't play with Texas or OU.

Face it, NU whined it's way out of it's 2nd tier football status.

Chocolate Hog
09-22-2010, 04:47 PM
[QUOTE=billay;7027943]

Everyone beat OU last year. 1 or 2 times out of 10 still means you can't play with Texas or OU.

Face it, NU whined it's way out of it's 2nd tier football status.

Is that why the Big Ten came to them?

chris
09-22-2010, 05:17 PM
[QUOTE=chris;7028294]

Is that why the Big Ten came to them?

It's all about $$$$.

When was the last time NDame was relevant on the field??

Baconeater
09-22-2010, 06:02 PM
I can't wait to tell KU and MU fans that their wins over Nebraska in 2007 didn't count since everyone beat them that year. I'm sure that will go over well.

Fucking dumbass.

chris
09-22-2010, 06:08 PM
I can't wait to tell KU and MU fans that their wins over Nebraska in 2007 didn't count since everyone beat them that year. I'm sure that will go over well.

****ing dumbass.

Yep, one win over OU. Zero championships since 99.

Quality program. Same tier up with OU and UT??

You NU fans are so easy to bait.

OK, I'm done having fun.

Peace.

Sweet Daddy Hate
09-22-2010, 06:08 PM

Fucking dumbass.

LMAO

So, next year you play in the 10 right? We get to kick the shit out of you one more time, right?:evil:

Baconeater
09-22-2010, 06:13 PM
Damnit, I forgot to ask him if Nebraska's win over OU in 2001 counts, that was this decade after all.

Baconeater
09-22-2010, 06:14 PM
LMAO

So, next year you play in the 10 right? We get to kick the shit out of you one more time, right?:evil:
Just remember, it doesn't count if we lose some other games too.

Bearcat
09-22-2010, 06:25 PM

Not sure how serious of a statement this is... in the long run, maybe, but from a fan's perspective, I'd rather stay in the B12 minus 2 than go to the Big 10 plus 3, especially as long as games stay at Arrowhead & the Sprint Center. It's definitely a great fit for Nebraska, for football and (as if anyone at Nebraska cares) basketball.... but watching KU get stomped in B10 football and driven into 50-49 games in basketball would kind of suck.

Sweet Daddy Hate
09-22-2010, 06:32 PM
Just remember, it doesn't count if we lose some other games too.

Of course, of course!

chiefsfan987
09-22-2010, 07:29 PM
I think these superconferences are going to backfire unless we get a 10-16team playoffs.
Going to have too many great teams beating up each other giving out losses and dropping their bcs rankings since sos is not that important.

Well my opinion of what is going to happen.

Great money for the schools though.

I don't think the superconferences of 16 teams are even going to happen because many of the conferences have network deals in some cases up until 2022 and the networks have already stated they aren't going to renegotiate those contracts if the leagues expand. Why would conferences want to expand beyond what they are if they aren't going to get more money? It would force their current member schools to take a paycut.

Sam Hall
09-22-2010, 07:32 PM
I guess we'll never live down Callahan, despite the fact that he only coached the team for four of the 120 years its played. I think this guy has forgotten the years when John Blake coached OU. The great programs come back. I don't count on Michigan being down much longer.

Saulbadguy
09-22-2010, 07:42 PM

Fucking dumbass.

Bill Snyder hasn't lost to Nebraska in Manhattan since 1996.
:evil:

kchero
09-22-2010, 08:31 PM

Yea it was a bit interesting the past few years...maybe sometime down the road we may be conference opponents once more...unfortunately by then we probably still wont have a defense :p
None the less though, I will now have an interest in the Big 10 and I will be rooting for them, but they will still be missed.

kchero
09-22-2010, 08:36 PM
I guess we'll never live down Callahan, despite the fact that he only coached the team for four of the 120 years its played. I think this guy has forgotten the years when John Blake coached OU. The great programs come back. I don't count on Michigan being down much longer.

They sure do, regardless of what people may think due to their football loyalties Nebraska is one of those programs. That reputation isn't build overnight and it doesnt fold up overnight either.

alanm
09-23-2010, 12:56 AM

Whoopie do!

Sorry, that is not recent history. My mistake. I think my old university (MU-Rolla) won a football championship back in the 70s, so yes, I'm proud of my school.

You should be very proud of NU! Maybe they will win a championship in the next decade.You know I don't usually jump into this type of argument but Oklahoma was quite irrelevant from 1989 to 1998. But Husker fans don't throw it in your face everyday. Course if you're only 12 like your post makes you out to seem I'll give you a pass. :shake:

Ebolapox
09-23-2010, 01:44 AM
I can see why chris' rep is disabled.