PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs How much do you think Weis wanted Clausen?

Goldmember
09-22-2010, 04:43 PM
Makes me wonder why he took the job with Cassel at QB.

The baby-faced, former Notre Dame star has had quite a week already.
On Monday, a day after a dismal 20-7 loss to Tampa Bay dropped Carolina to 0-2, coach John Fox made the switch to Clausen. Just a few hours later, Clausen got a call from Weis, now the offensive coordinator of the Kansas City Chiefs (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/teams/kan/).

“He was real fired up,” a beaming Clausen said. “He called me and the first thing he said was, ‘My day got brighter. Congratulations.’ My family and his family have a close relationship.”

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-panthers-clausen

kepp
09-22-2010, 04:44 PM
I'm liking our second round picks more and more, but I still would have liked to have gotten Clausen.

beach tribe
09-22-2010, 04:45 PM
I honestly don't think he wanted him too bad.
Nor did anyone else. Hence his Lienart topping slide out of the first round.

SNR
09-22-2010, 04:46 PM
Clausen sucks. Sanchez sucks. It's just a fact. Get over it. /Guardian

KCUnited
09-22-2010, 04:47 PM
And Barbaro is up!! He's gotten to his feet!! Barbaro is up and running!

Tribal Warfare
09-22-2010, 04:48 PM
A lot

Marcellus
09-22-2010, 04:49 PM
Print em.

OnTheWarpath58
09-22-2010, 04:50 PM
:facepalm:

Der Flöprer
09-22-2010, 04:51 PM
Sounds like he didn't want him at all. Not even a little bit. Charlie was hell bent on coming here to "fix the quarterback".

Dicky McElephant
09-22-2010, 04:51 PM
30 other teams didn't want him....so you know he sucks!! /Hootie

stevieray
09-22-2010, 04:52 PM
who cares?

kstater
09-22-2010, 04:52 PM
He wanted him so bad that Pioli had to tape him to his scooter in the corner so he wouldn't call the pick in.

blaise
09-22-2010, 04:53 PM
I know what he really wanted- lunch.

Goldmember
09-22-2010, 04:57 PM
I know what he really wanted- lunch.

ROFL

doomy3
09-22-2010, 04:57 PM
I have no idea how much Weis wanted him here. He obviously likes the kid and hopes he succeeds. That quote doesn't equate to him wanting him to play here though.

Goldmember
09-22-2010, 05:00 PM
who cares?

It just makes me wonder why he would put his reputation on the line, after failing miserably at ND, to be the OC for a team with a questionable QB unless he saw something in Cassel that could be fixed. He doesn't need the money, after that huge payday at ND, that's for certain.

I'm wondering if he put any pressure on Pioli to draft Clausen.

keg in kc
09-22-2010, 05:04 PM
I'm wondering if he put any pressure on Pioli to draft Clausen.I've never heard a solid rumor either way on that. Word is that Weis was the guy behind the scenes pushing hardest for McCluster, though. But that doesn't necessarily mean he didn't want Clausen.

threebag02
09-22-2010, 05:07 PM
I bet after working with cassel he would give his left nut to have anyone.

Goldmember
09-22-2010, 05:08 PM
He wanted him so bad that Pioli had to tape him to his scooter in the corner so he wouldn't call the pick in.

I'm laughing at that visual, stuck in the corner and can't move

-King-
09-22-2010, 05:08 PM
If he wanted him...why the fuck would Weis come to the Chiefs?

Heres how the interview would have went:

Weis: So, about the QB situation, will I be able to get Clausen?

Pioli: No

Weis: Well...http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_PmxExJ1vXtg/TBBDGvmcxkI/AAAAAAAAAJI/dFkN1txzSmw/s400/wellbye.jpg Bye.

That issue would have been settled at the interview, and if Weis wanted Clausen, then he would not have come here.

-King-
09-22-2010, 05:09 PM
I have no idea how much Weis wanted him here. He obviously likes the kid and hopes he succeeds. That quote doesn't equate to him wanting him to play here though.

This.

Weis coached Clausen, so why the fuck wouldn't he call him to congratulate him?

Rausch
09-22-2010, 05:10 PM

He wanted him and Tate so much that we passed up multiple chances to draft them...

kstater
09-22-2010, 05:14 PM
He wanted him and Tate so much that we passed up multiple chances to draft them...

To be fair, Pioli passed on them just to spite Weiss

Goldmember
09-22-2010, 05:31 PM
If he wanted him...why the fuck would Weis come to the Chiefs?

Heres how the interview would have went:

Weis: So, about the QB situation, will I be able to get Clausen?

Pioli: No

Weis: Well...http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_PmxExJ1vXtg/TBBDGvmcxkI/AAAAAAAAAJI/dFkN1txzSmw/s400/wellbye.jpg Bye.

That issue would have been settled at the interview, and if Weis wanted Clausen, then he would not have come here.

True, but many thought Clausen would go higher in the draft. He fell quite a bit and looked like a bargain to some.

Hug it Out Dan
09-22-2010, 05:40 PM
Well, I know this guy.....who saw Weis at Best Buy sporting a chiefs sweatshirt.

And he asked him up front if we were going to make an attempt to draft Clausen.

He then winked at my friend with a smile, shook his head yes and gave him a chest bump and a thumbs up as he walked out the front door.

Fish
09-22-2010, 05:41 PM
More than a 20 oz. porterhouse and a hot fudge sundae...

Brock
09-22-2010, 05:42 PM
Not very much.

Rausch
09-22-2010, 05:42 PM
To be fair, Pioli passed on them just to spite Weiss

Indeed.

He hates him and his opinion so much he hired him.

TWICE...

Rain Man
09-22-2010, 05:44 PM
If you're happy that a guy becomes the starter for a competitor, maybe that means you didn't want him.

Goldmember
09-22-2010, 05:46 PM
If you're happy that a guy becomes the starter for a competitor, maybe that means you didn't want him. ROFL

You talkin bout the Jamarcus syndrome?

Sweet Daddy Hate
09-22-2010, 06:47 PM
Sounds like he didn't want him at all. Not even a little bit. Charlie was hell bent on coming here to "fix the quarterback".

With Super Glue, Preparation H, Duct Tape, and Fried Chicken!

SenselessChiefsFan
09-22-2010, 07:21 PM
There is a difference between rooting for a player to succeed and believing he will.

I just think that if Weis wanted him, he would be here.

Goldmember
09-22-2010, 07:45 PM
There is a difference between rooting for a player to succeed and believing he will.

I just think that if Weis wanted him, he would be here.

I think a QB controversy would be the last thing Pioli would have wanted. It would also make him look foolish for investing in Cassel.

Mecca
09-22-2010, 09:02 PM
I think a QB controversy would be the last thing Pioli would have wanted. It would also make him look foolish for investing in Cassel.

I think the way Cassel speaks in interviews is why there is no competition at that position. He's fragile, they don't critique him at all, he throws 4 picks and has the balls to say he made no mistakes.

I also think there was 0 chance Pioli was going to admit he fucked up a year in.

OnTheWarpath58
09-22-2010, 09:03 PM
I think the way Cassel speaks in interviews is why there is no competition at that position. He's fragile, they don't critique him at all, he throws 4 picks and has the balls to say he made no mistakes.

I also think there was 0 chance Pioli was going to admit he fucked up a year in.

No way, dude.

The OC absolutely has the juice to overrule the GM. If Weis wanted him, we would have drafted him. /CP

-King-
09-22-2010, 09:30 PM
No way, dude.

The OC absolutely has the juice to overrule the GM. If Weis wanted him, we would have drafted him. /CP

Do you think Weis would have come here if he wanted Clausen? Why would he?

'Hamas' Jenkins
09-22-2010, 09:33 PM
He wanted him so little that he advocated for him being a franchise QB and gave a positive recommendation to people who inquired. Of course, when Clausen was drafted, Chris Mortensen mentioned that Weis was in contact with Carolina's OC and wholeheartedly endorsed the selection.

But it's not like it was on ESPN during the fucking draft or anything.

OnTheWarpath58
09-22-2010, 09:36 PM
Do you think Weis would have come here if he wanted Clausen? Why would he?

A job in the NFL?

Yeah, those are just getting offered to anyone and everyone.

Not like anyone else was beating down his door.

If you're unemployed, and an old friend offers you a shit ton of money to come work for him, you would, even if the conditions are less-than-optimal at the moment.

And who do you think is next in line when Haley gets shit-canned?

Someone from the outside, or one of Pioli's buddies?

Weis has a future here regardless of performance because of Pioli.

Pretty easy decision.

-King-
09-22-2010, 09:41 PM
A job in the NFL?

If you're unemployed, and an old friend offers you a shit ton of money to come work for him, you would, even if the conditions are less-than-optimal at the moment.

Pretty easy decision.

So Weis took this job, just hoping that Haley would get fired? So he didn't care if he had Cassel as his QB?

You're saying that he's trying to get a head coaching job right? Well a head coaching job will depend on his success on being an OC. So if he knew he would need another qb to run a successful offense, I ask again, why would he come here?

Having a bad qb = Bad offense = Not looking good to owners looking for a new coach.

Your whole point is just assumptions. Why do you even think that he wants to be a HC again? He could have took a year off and just wait for a good position to open up.

J Diddy
09-22-2010, 09:42 PM

I also think there was 0 chance Pioli was going to admit he ****ed up a year in.

1 year into an absurd contract. Yeah, I'd be fighting tooth and nail that I did no wrong either. That's the shit that gets you canned.

I'm surprised Pioli hasn't met him outback tony soprano style and "enlighten him" as to his need to succeed.

Sweet Daddy Hate
A job in the NFL?

Pretty easy decision.

Jeezus, I REALLY hate the idea of him as Head Coach, and I mean REALLY.

Totally serial.

-King-
He wanted him so little that he advocated for him being a franchise QB and gave a positive recommendation to people who inquired. Of course, when Clausen was drafted, Chris Mortensen mentioned that Weis was in contact with Carolina's OC and wholeheartedly endorsed the selection.

SHANAHAN TO THE CHIEFS!!!ONE!!

J Diddy
09-22-2010, 09:43 PM
SHANAHAN TO THE CHIEFS!!!ONE!!

Dude, that's a done deal.

Sweet Daddy Hate
09-22-2010, 09:43 PM

LMAO

OnTheWarpath58
09-22-2010, 09:44 PM
So Weis took this job, just hoping that Haley would get fired? So he didn't care if he had Cassel as his QB?

You're saying that he's trying to get a head coaching job right? Well a head coaching job will depend on his success on being an OC. So if he knew he would need another qb to run a successful offense, I ask again, why would he come here?

Having a bad qb = Bad offense = Not looking good to owners looking for a new coach.

Your whole point is just assumptions. Why do you even think that he wants to be a HC again? He could have took a year off and just wait for a good position to open up.

Nothing like ignoring the first half of my post.

I recently found out that you're like 17 years old. I have no idea why I'm surprised...

-King-
09-22-2010, 09:47 PM

I recently found out that you're like 17 years old. I have no idea why I'm surprised...

Dude, look at my profile, I'm not 17.

And you're saying that Weis had no options other than the Chiefs? The Chiefs were the only team that wanted a 3 superbowl winning offensive coordinator? Sure, if you say so. Do you and Dane alternate shifts as Weis' and Crennel's secretary because you two seem to know everything about teams that contacted them.

Mecca
09-22-2010, 09:48 PM

My brothers that age...the times I see him brought me to this realization. 17 year olds are in general in need of a good beating.

-King-
09-22-2010, 09:49 PM
My brothers that age...the times I see him brought me to this realization. 17 year olds are in general in need of a good beating.

RESISTING...URGE...TO...GO...HOOTIE...ON YOU

'Hamas' Jenkins
09-22-2010, 09:50 PM
If you don't believe Mortensen, here's another source:

"Clausen's a franchise quarterback," said NFL Network analyst Bucky Brooks, a former scout. "I think they'd want to take their time and groom him. But if Matt Moore falters, he'll get a chance.

"(Panthers offensive coordinator) Jeff Davidson (http://content.usatoday.com/topics/topic/Jeff+Davidson) runs the same offense (former Irish coach) Charlie Weis (http://content.usatoday.com/topics/topic/People/Sports+Coaches,+Team+Owners,+Execs,+Officials/NCAA/Charlie+Weis) did at Notre Dame. And Charlie Weis and (Panthers coach) John Fox are really good friends. In fact, Foxie wanted to hire Charlie as his offensive coordinator. So I'm sure Charlie blessed the pick.

-King-
09-22-2010, 09:52 PM
If you don't believe Mortensen, here's another source:

"Clausen's a franchise quarterback," said NFL Network analyst Bucky Brooks, a former scout. "I think they'd want to take their time and groom him. But if Matt Moore falters, he'll get a chance.

"(Panthers offensive coordinator) Jeff Davidson (http://content.usatoday.com/topics/topic/Jeff+Davidson) runs the same offense (former Irish coach) Charlie Weis (http://content.usatoday.com/topics/topic/People/Sports+Coaches,+Team+Owners,+Execs,+Officials/NCAA/Charlie+Weis) did at Notre Dame. And Charlie Weis and (Panthers coach) John Fox are really good friends. In fact, Foxie wanted to hire Charlie as his offensive coordinator. So I'm sure Charlie blessed the pick.

Hmmm, I think that kind of crushes OTWP's theory about KC being the only team that wanted him.

WTF does Charlie blessed the pick mean? And "so I'm sure" is nothing but assumption by him.

SenselessChiefsFan
09-22-2010, 09:54 PM

People keep projecting Carl Peterson's personality on Pioli. Pioli isn't Carl Peterson. He won't avoid admitting a mistake at the expense of losing games. Just won't happen.

And, he could have easily, EASILY, taken Clausen in the second round without any egg on his face. At that point, he could have just said it was too good of a deal to pass up.

He didn't have to trade up. He didn't have to do anything but take him after he fell to them.

As far as qb controversy, not this year. Let Cassel play and develop Clausen.

Sorry, just don't buy it.

OnTheWarpath58
09-22-2010, 09:54 PM
Hmmm, I think that kind of crushes OTWP's theory about KC being the only team that wanted him.

First I've heard of it.

'Hamas' Jenkins
09-22-2010, 09:56 PM

WTF does Charlie blessed the pick mean? And "so I'm sure" is nothing but assumption by him.

It is an assumption, but you also have Chris Mortensen reporting that he spoke to Jeff Davidson who spoke to Weis asking him about Clausen, and Weis gave a glowing recommendation.

OnTheWarpath58
09-22-2010, 09:56 PM
People keep projecting Carl Peterson's personality on Pioli. Pioli isn't Carl Peterson. He won't avoid admitting a mistake at the expense of losing games. Just won't happen.

No, this never happens. One of us had to get injured and another had to make homophobic slurs to come out of the starting lineup.

Sincerely,

Mike Brown, Mike Goff and Larry Johnson

-King-
09-22-2010, 09:58 PM
It is an assumption, but you also have Chris Mortensen reporting that he spoke to Jeff Davidson who spoke to Weis asking him about Clausen, and Weis gave a glowing recommendation.

Well of course, Weis was Clausens coach. Other than Pete Carroll, what college coach doesn't endorse their player? Coaches try to make their 7th round prospects sound players that should be drafted #1 overall.

stevieray
09-22-2010, 09:59 PM
...more draft day irrelevant spilt milk BS.

SenselessChiefsFan
09-22-2010, 10:00 PM

But it's not like it was on ESPN during the ****ing draft or anything.

Pete Carroll got a lot of crap when he said that Sanchez wasn't ready. Clausen and Weis are close. I am sure he did give a positive recommendation. I have been in line to be promoted at work, and gotten passed over. I then went to another company to move up the ladder. Guess what? The same guy that I worked for that didn't think I was good enough to get promoted, gave me a ringing endorsement.

Not the same thing, but the point is that college coaches typically speak very highly of their players. Especially if they like them as a person. Heck, remember how Ryan Sims' coach just LOVED him.

Again, the fact that Weis WANTS him to be successful, doesn't mean that he thinks he will be.

chiefzilla1501
09-22-2010, 10:00 PM

But it's not like it was on ESPN during the ****ing draft or anything.

Charlie Weis is a well respected coach in the NFL. He is the coach who gets a lot of credit for grooming Tom Brady.

If Weis was such a strong advocate for Jimmy Clausen then why did he plummet all the way down to the middle of the second round? We've seen QBs drop. But this was a downright freefall.

Unless you're saying that 32 teams completely don't trust Charlie Weis' wholehearted recommendation. It's not like it's uncommon for a coach to want what's best for his player.

Mecca
09-22-2010, 10:01 PM
RESISTING...URGE...TO...GO...HOOTIE...ON YOU

For what, saying that my the handful of times I'm around my brother or his friends I have to threaten to beat their asses to get them to act like normal people?

SenselessChiefsFan
09-22-2010, 10:02 PM
No, this never happens. One of us had to get injured and another had to make homophobic slurs to come out of the starting lineup.

Sincerely,

Whether you like it or not, those guys were started by Haley, not Pioli.

And, how can you possibly blame LJ on Pioli?

SenselessChiefsFan
09-22-2010, 10:04 PM

You are so gullible. This is nothing but media speculation./Dane.

Sweet Daddy Hate
09-22-2010, 10:08 PM
Well of course, Weis was Clausens coach. Other than Pete Carroll, what college coach doesn't endorse their player? Coaches try to make their 7th round prospects sound players that should be drafted #1 overall.

So...who are you taking to Prom this year?

-King-
09-22-2010, 10:10 PM
So...who are you taking to Prom this year?

Graduated HS.

But I took your wife to my senior prom :evil:

OnTheWarpath58
09-22-2010, 10:12 PM
Charlie Weis is a well respected coach in the NFL. He is the coach who gets a lot of credit for grooming Tom Brady.

If Weis was such a strong advocate for Jimmy Clausen then why did he plummet all the way down to the middle of the second round? We've seen QBs drop. But this was a downright freefall.

Unless you're saying that 32 teams completely don't trust Charlie Weis' wholehearted recommendation. It's not like it's uncommon for a coach to want what's best for his player.

Just curious, but how many teams needed a QB?

Better question: How many TEAMS thought they needed a QB?

I see a lot of teams that either had an established QB, or were content (in some cases, erroneously) in the QB they had.

The one team that desperately needed a QB, and said as much, took one 1st overall.

Could it be argued that KC, Cleveland, SF, etc should have taken him?

Of course.

But what happens when the GM's of those teams are content with their QB like Pioli is with Cassel?

It's not like another QB or two jumped him. He was the 2nd guy off the board.

Sweet Daddy Hate
09-22-2010, 10:12 PM
Graduated HS.

But I took your wife to my senior prom :evil:

LMAO I am not dissapoint.

OnTheWarpath58
09-22-2010, 10:13 PM
Whether you like it or not, those guys were started by Haley, not Pioli.

And, how can you possibly blame LJ on Pioli?

If you think Haley was running the show last year, I have some oceanfront property in STL I'd like to sell you.

And I can easily blame Pioli for not cutting LJ the minute he was hired.

'Hamas' Jenkins
09-22-2010, 10:13 PM

So the following teams were going to take him?

Dallas, Washington, Philly (after giving Kolb an Extension), NYG, Chicago, Detroit, Green Bay, Atlanta, New Orleans, Tampa, San Diego, Pittsburgh, Cincinnati, Baltimore, NYJ, Jacksonville, Tennessee, Indy, Houston, New England, Minnesota, Miami?

Those teams all thought they had their QBs.

So who passed on him? Really.

St. Louis
Arizona
San Francisco
Seattle
Kansas City
Oakland
Denver
Buffalo

Those teams all fucking suck dick and have been horribly mismanaged for several years, BTW.

Sweet Daddy Hate
09-22-2010, 10:14 PM

I see a lot of teams that either had an established QB, or were content (in some cases, erroneously) in the QB they had.

The one team that desperately needed a QB, and said as much, took one 1st overall.

Of course.

But what happens when the GM's of those teams are content with their QB like Pioli is with Cassel?

Valid point.

SenselessChiefsFan
09-22-2010, 10:16 PM

Of course.

Actually, Tim Tebow was taken before him.

But, I know it is hard to think about him as a QB. That said, Aaron Rodgers was taken by the Packers who still had Favre.

If a guy is viewed as a franchise QB, I don't think he falls the the middle part of round 2. QB is the most important position of the team. And, if Weis truly believed in him, then I don't see the Chiefs passing on him in the second round.

chiefzilla1501
09-22-2010, 10:18 PM

Of course.

Are we really using this argument?
KC
Cleveland
San Francisco
Carolina (round 1)
Oakland
Denver (who ended up drafting Tebow instead)
Buffalo
Jacksonville
Arizona
Minnesota (early second)

Uprights are being moved. For months and months, everyone claimed that we had to draft a first round QB... period. And that a second round pick wasn't good enough. Others have said unless you absolutely positively have a franchise QB, you must use a first round pick on a QB.

So #1, getting pissed we passed on a #50 pick is moving the uprights. #2, if a coach like Weis gave Clausen a glowing endorsement before the draft, there's no way he gets out of the first round. Hard to believe he'd fall out of the top 10 let alone the top 20.

'Hamas' Jenkins
09-22-2010, 10:19 PM
The Chiefs were so uncommitted to their QB this offseason that they signed a FA RB who had the best season of his career, drafted an offensive lineman, signed two others, drafted a WR/RB at the top of round 2, and traded up for a TE in round 3.

Looking at their moves, it's pretty damned clear that they weren't drafting him period. This offseason was about validating the Cassel acquisition, and nearly every move we made was done with that express purpose.

SenselessChiefsFan
09-22-2010, 10:20 PM
If you think Haley was running the show last year, I have some oceanfront property in STL I'd like to sell you.

And I can easily blame Pioli for not cutting LJ the minute he was hired.

Yeah, because I bet that Pioli wanted to keep and then fire Chan Gailey right before the season.

But, I know, I know.... Pioli is just like Carl Peterson and mandates everything. Oh, and Weis and Romeo would be working at McDonalds if Pioli wasn't GM of the Chiefs. Oh, and that of course Weis wanted Clausen, but Pioli was worried about looking bad.

Do you realize how ridiculous this point of view really is?

As far as LJ, even going into the season, Haley was sold on LJ being the best back on the team. Going into this season, Shanahan signed LJ and didn't cut him until his salary was guaranteed.

'Hamas' Jenkins
09-22-2010, 10:20 PM
Carolina had no Round 1 pick, zilla, and tried to trade up to #32 to take Clausen.

You don't know what you're talking about.

-King-
09-22-2010, 10:21 PM
The Chiefs were so uncommitted to their QB this offseason that they signed a FA RB who had the best season of his career, drafted an offensive lineman, signed two others, drafted a WR/RB at the top of round 2, and traded up for a TE in round 3.

Looking at their moves, it's pretty damned clear that they weren't drafting him period. This offseason was about validating the Cassel acquisition, and nearly every move we made was done with that express purpose.

Which means that Weis probably didn't want him. Weis knew from the second he interviewed with us whether or not he could get Clausen. He took the job knowing that he couldn't get him. If he was content with that, he must not have thought Clausen was so great.

OnTheWarpath58
09-22-2010, 10:23 PM
Are we really using this argument?
KC
Cleveland
San Francisco
Carolina (round 1)
Oakland
Denver (who ended up drafting Tebow instead)
Buffalo
Jacksonville
Arizona
Minnesota (early second)

Uprights are being moved. For months and months, everyone claimed that we had to draft a first round QB... period. And that a second round pick wasn't good enough. Others have said unless you absolutely positively have a franchise QB, you must use a first round pick on a QB.

So #1, getting pissed we passed on a #50 pick is moving the uprights. #2, if a coach like Weis gave Clausen a glowing endorsement before the draft, there's no way he gets out of the first round. Hard to believe he'd fall out of the top 10 let alone the top 20.

Read much?

You can argue that those teams needed a QB.

Who's to say the TEAMS THEMSELVES thought they needed a QB?

Every one of those teams either has a guy they like, (like us with Cassel) or went out and got someone they liked.

So who's left?

chiefzilla1501
09-22-2010, 10:23 PM
So the following teams were going to take him?

Dallas, Washington, Philly (after giving Kolb an Extension), NYG, Chicago, Detroit, Green Bay, Atlanta, New Orleans, Tampa, San Diego, Pittsburgh, Cincinnati, Baltimore, NYJ, Jacksonville, Tennessee, Indy, Houston, New England, Minnesota, Miami?

Those teams all thought they had their QBs.

So who passed on him? Really.

St. Louis
Arizona
San Francisco
Seattle
Kansas City
Oakland
Denver
Buffalo

Those teams all ****ing suck dick and have been horribly mismanaged for several years, BTW.

So now it's no longer about taking first round QBs. It's about taking first round QBs with an asterisk? I don't remember people getting nearly as riled up when Brian Brohm fell to #55.

'Hamas' Jenkins
09-22-2010, 10:24 PM
Which means that Weis probably didn't want him. Weis knew from the second he interviewed with us whether or not he could get Clausen. He took the job knowing that he couldn't get him. If he was content with that, he must not have thought Clausen was so great.

Or, perhaps like a lot of people, when offered a job that paid exceptionally well with people he knew vs. a job with people he was less familiar with, he decided to go with the familiar faces.

I know that this is tantamount to Galileo arguing against the Ptolemaic universe, so I'll grab you a chair and a glass of ice water to help ease the shock of such a statement.

SenselessChiefsFan
09-22-2010, 10:25 PM

Yeah, drafting Berry and Arenas with two of the top three draft picks will REALLY help Cassel.

And, not adding a premier WR sure makes him look better, huh?

The only thing that is clear is that they were trying to improve the team. Go figure. Who would have thought that they would try to improve the team on BOTH sides of the ball.

Heck, if making Cassel look good was a priority... why wait til this year? Crabtree was available last year. Why draft TJ?

J Diddy
09-22-2010, 10:26 PM

Sincerely,

I would think that pretty much this entire scenario is on Haley not Pioli.

'Hamas' Jenkins
09-22-2010, 10:27 PM
So now it's no longer about taking first round QBs. It's about taking first round QBs with an asterisk? I don't remember people getting nearly as riled up when Brian Brohm fell to #55.

When did I ever say or infer such a thing?

'Hamas' Jenkins
09-22-2010, 10:27 PM
Actually, Arenas was drafted because of his ability to sell the play action fake. We're going to start using him on Jet Sweeps after the bye.

J Diddy
09-22-2010, 10:28 PM
Or, perhaps like a lot of people, when offered a job that paid exceptionally well with people he knew vs. a job with people he was less familiar with, he decided to go with the familiar faces.

I know that this is tantamount to Galileo arguing against the Ptolemaic universe, so I'll grab you a chair and a glass of ice water to help ease the shock of such a statement.

Silly ass.

You can't email a glass of water it will fry the computer.

OnTheWarpath58
09-22-2010, 10:28 PM

Maybe because no one outside a few dipshits thought Brohm was anything resembling a 1st round pick.

OnTheWarpath58
09-22-2010, 10:29 PM

LMAO

SenselessChiefsFan
09-22-2010, 10:29 PM

The reason you take a job with familiar faces is that there is a mutual respect. Do you think that he would be here if he felt that Pioli didn't value his opinion?

He could have went to Chicago or Carolina.

Clearly, Carolina valued his opinion. And, he is friends with Fox. So, maybe, just maybe, he would have been okay with that 'familiar' face as well.

'Hamas' Jenkins
09-22-2010, 10:31 PM
Well, how is he going to Carolina when Jeff Davidson has been the OC since 2007?

SenselessChiefsFan
09-22-2010, 10:32 PM
Actually, Arenas was drafted because of his ability to sell the play action fake. We're going to start using him on Jet Sweeps after the bye.

I guess this is your answer to having your entire argument completely decimated. It's okay, I accept your apology for the perpetuation of total BS and speculation for which you had no logical basis.

OnTheWarpath58
The reason you take a job with familiar faces is that there is a mutual respect. Do you think that he would be here if he felt that Pioli didn't value his opinion?

He could have went to Chicago or Carolina.

Clearly, Carolina valued his opinion. And, he is friends with Fox. So, maybe, just maybe, he would have been okay with that 'familiar' face as well.

There's a Grand Canyon-sized difference between "valuing his opinion" and "letting him overrule the GM."

Pioli can hold Weis' opinion in the highest regard.

But if there's someone else Pioli wants with that pick, guess who we're taking?

OnTheWarpath58
Well, how is he going to Carolina when Jeff Davidson has been the OC since 2007?

D'oh.

SenselessChiefsFan
09-22-2010, 10:34 PM

I was just responding to something posted in this thread a while ago. I hadn't heard Carolina specifically until this thread. But, perhaps, Jeff Davidson would have been demoted, since Fox wanted him as the coordinator.

Again, I am just going off the piece that was provided to show that Weis really likes Cassel and gave him his full endorsement.

chiefzilla1501
09-22-2010, 10:35 PM
When did I ever say or infer such a thing?

Jimmy Clausen was #50. Brian Brohm was #55 in 2008. Claiming that one is first round value (and that somehow 32 teams, 7 or 8 of which needed a franchise QB whiffed) and that the other one belongs there is BS. And for that matter, why is it that the 7 or 8 teams that passed on him are stupid, but the Panthers are somehow this amazing voice of reason? How are they doing so far? How many franchise QBs has that organization groomed?

He's a second round QB. He was passed up 49 times. And passed many times by teams that needed QBs. You've seen top 5 QBs drop, but this was probably the most significant drop the draft has ever seen (minus injury/drug/etc... concerns). Come on, Hamas. I get in disagreements with you a lot, but this is a huge magic trick you're trying to pull here.

SenselessChiefsFan
09-22-2010, 10:36 PM
There's a Grand Canyon-sized difference between "valuing his opinion" and "letting him overrule the GM."

Pioli can hold Weis' opinion in the highest regard.

But if there's someone else Pioli wants with that pick, guess who we're taking?

But, if Weis doesn't feel that Cassel can cut it, and wants Clausen, why take THIS job? It will only make HIM look bad.

There is no logical reason. None.

Not when he had other jobs to choose from. At least the Chicago job..... and according to an article in this thread, the Carolina job.

OnTheWarpath58
09-22-2010, 10:37 PM
Jimmy Clausen was #50. Brian Brohm was #55 in 2008. Claiming that one is first round value (and that somehow 32 teams, 7 or 8 of which needed a franchise QB whiffed) and that the other one belongs there is BS. And for that matter, why is it that the 7 or 8 teams that passed on him are stupid, but the Panthers are somehow this amazing voice of reason? How are they doing so far? How many franchise QBs has that organization groomed?

He's a second round QB. He was passed up 49 times. And passed many times by teams that needed QBs. You've seen top 5 QBs drop, but this was probably the most significant drop the draft has ever seen (minus injury/drug/etc... concerns). Come on, Hamas. I get in disagreements with you a lot, but this is a huge magic trick you're trying to pull here.

YOU keep claiming that these teams needed QB's.

I think that KC needed a QB.

Guess what?

The team didn't think so.

No magic involved.

Mecca
09-22-2010, 10:37 PM
Yea and Green Bay picked Brohm showing that they have no problem taking a QB and that was the year Rodgers was going to be a 1st year starter...

That team and this team don't remotely operate the same just look at that move. Green Bay took another shot on a QB when they didn't even have to.

OnTheWarpath58
09-22-2010, 10:38 PM
But, if Weis doesn't feel that Cassel can cut it, and wants Clausen, why take THIS job? It will only make HIM look bad.

There is no logical reason. None.

Not when he had other jobs to choose from. At least the Chicago job..... and according to an article in this thread, the Carolina job.

Was he offered either job?

Didn't think so.

SenselessChiefsFan
09-22-2010, 10:38 PM
Valid point.

Tim Tebow Jumped in front of him.... so, not really.

Mecca
09-22-2010, 10:40 PM

Lets not try to make a point with Josh McDaniels stupidity.

Der Flöprer
It's absolutely retarded to assume that Weis has ANY say so over personnel issues, or that he has the ability to refuse job offers because he can't have guys he wants. What? Teams were knocking down his door to hire him? Half the league wanted that guy, really. Come on. I read shit like that, and just assume people have no fucking clue what they're watching every Sunday. He's a fucking OC. Head coaches don't always get to "shop for the groceries". Don't be fucking stupid.

Sweet Daddy Hate
Yea and Green Bay picked Brohm showing that they have no problem taking a QB and that was the year Rodgers was going to be a 1st year starter...

That team and this team don't remotely operate the same just look at that move. Green Bay took another shot on a QB when they didn't even have to.

I'd take their 2 or 3 right this instant. Yes, I'd take Scrub Harrell over our current situation.

Does he really even count? I mean, come on.

'Hamas' Jenkins
09-22-2010, 10:41 PM
Let's say that it's 2004 again. We trade up b/c we want...say, Sean Taylor, but he's taken in front of us.

Kellen Winslow is there, but we take DeAngelo Fall instead.

Did we really pass on The Fuckin' Soulja, or was there something about our personnel that made the option of selecting him pretty much a non-starter from the beginning?

Discuss.

-King-
09-22-2010, 10:42 PM

But in Carolina, with John Fox on the hot seat, he would be closer to being HC, which according to OTWP, he clearly wants.

But nope, he'd rather settle with a shitty job with a shitty QB, knowing he can't really be promoted because his offense will suck making him less attractive to owners.

Whoo! You got me there. Clearly you are the far smarter person, and clearly the Ptolemiac universe doohickey relates to football jobs. Go on with your bad self!

SenselessChiefsFan
09-22-2010, 10:43 PM
Was he offered either job?

Didn't think so.

Do you think he needed money THIS year? He was still getting paid by Notre Dame.

Successful coaches don't just take a job, the get the right job. This isn't some minimum wage flunkie that needs gas money.

The right job adds to a resume. The wrong job DESTROYS it.

HE will get blamed for Cassel's lack of production.

And, what jobs he was offered aren't made public. Teams don't like to look like they were turned down. It makes them look bad.

OnTheWarpath58
09-22-2010, 10:43 PM

And the rest of the league laughed.

Great point.

SenselessChiefsFan
09-22-2010, 10:44 PM
Lets not try to make a point with Josh McDaniels stupidity.

He is 'technically' a QB.

OnTheWarpath58
09-22-2010, 10:44 PM
It's absolutely retarded to assume that Weis has ANY say so over personnel issues, or that he has the ability to refuse job offers because he can't have guys he wants. What? Teams were knocking down his door to hire him? Half the league wanted that guy, really. Come on. I read shit like that, and just assume people have no fucking clue what they're watching every Sunday. He's a fucking OC. Head coaches don't always get to "shop for the groceries". Don't be fucking stupid.

Head Coaches RARELY get to shop for the groceries.

Which is why more and more ask for complete control, or don't take the job.

Der Flöprer
09-22-2010, 10:45 PM
Head Coaches RARELY get to shop for the groceries.

Which is why more and more ask for complete control, or don't take the job.

Coordinators on the other hand..........................

OnTheWarpath58
But in Carolina, with John Fox on the hot seat, he would be closer to being HC, which according to OTWP, he clearly wants.

But nope, he'd rather settle with a shitty job with a shitty QB, knowing he can't really be promoted because his offense will suck making him less attractive to owners.

Whoo! You got me there. Clearly you are the far smarter person, and clearly the Ptolemiac universe doohickey relates to football jobs. Go on with your bad self!

Reading is fundamental.

I never said that he clearly wants to be a HC again, only that taking this job is the best route to it should he want to be.

chiefzilla1501
Maybe because no one outside a few dipshits thought Brohm was anything resembling a 1st round pick.

And yet they were drafted at almost the same exact spot. I'm being facetious of course.

But trying to claim that a #50 pick fell a round and a half... because every NFL team was too stupid and somehow ignored his resume at NOtre Dame and somehow disregarded a glowing recommendation from an accomplished, well respected NFL coach? The shit don't smell right. He dropped for a reason and it wasn't character, intelligence, athleticism, physical ability, injuries, drugs, off-the-field issues... any of that. It was attitude. A lot of teams would be willing to take the bad attitude in exchange for all the other things Clausen brings to the table.

And a head coach can sure as shit correct a lot of scouts and front offices who think attitude is an issue. Especially one as well respected as Weis.

So you draw your own conclusions. My conclusion is that if Weis glowingly recommended Clausen, he's a surefire top 20 pick.

Mecca
Why are we even having this argument?

This teams QB fuckin sucks, we're at the point now where literally anything is a better option.

-King-
It's absolutely retarded to assume that Weis has ANY say so over personnel issues, or that he has the ability to refuse job offers because he can't have guys he wants.

So he took a job knowing he'd have no say so? Yeah...ok LMAO .

What? Teams were knocking down his door to hire him? Half the league wanted that guy, really. Come on. I read shit like that, and just assume people have no fucking clue what they're watching every Sunday. He's a fucking OC. Head coaches don't always get to "shop for the groceries". Don't be fucking stupid.

I forgot how strapped for cash he was. He couldn't pass up our job because if he did, he might go bankrupt.

Sweet Daddy Hate
09-22-2010, 10:46 PM
I like butter.

-King-
09-22-2010, 10:46 PM
Reading is fundamental.

I never said that he clearly wants to be a HC again, only that taking this job is the best route to it should he want to be.

No the Carolina job is.

SenselessChiefsFan
09-22-2010, 10:47 PM
And the rest of the league laughed.

Great point.

True, the rest of the league did laugh. But, it only takes one team to think a player is worth a first round pick.

The fact that Clausen fell to the second round speaks to what other teams thought about him.

Teams that think a guy is a franchise QB don't let him pass the first round. Even teams with QB's that they are comfortable with.

Not saying all the other teams are right, but it does say something about what many of them thought of him.

Mecca
And yet they were drafted at almost the same exact spot. I'm being facetious of course.

But trying to claim that a #50 pick fell a round and a half... because every NFL team was too stupid and somehow ignored his resume at NOtre Dame and somehow disregarded a glowing recommendation from an accomplished, well respected NFL coach? The shit don't smell right. He dropped for a reason and it wasn't character, intelligence, athleticism, physical ability, injuries, drugs, off-the-field issues... any of that. It was attitude. A lot of teams would be willing to take the bad attitude in exchange for all the other things Clausen brings to the table.

And a head coach can sure as shit correct a lot of scouts and front offices who think attitude is an issue. Especially one as well respected as Weis.

So you draw your own conclusions. My conclusion is that if Weis glowingly recommended Clausen, he's a surefire top 20 pick.

And Matt Schaub was the 90th pick, no chance he's any good right?

Der Flöprer
So he took a job knowing he'd have no say so? Yeah...ok LMAO .

I forgot how strapped for cash he was. He couldn't pass up our job because if he did, he might go bankrupt.

You can always tell the teenagers on the board. Think about it, kid. Just because he has money, he's going to fucking retire? Where else is he better suited to find some success and try to get back into a head coaching job? Go jump on Hootie's nuts.

Der Flöprer
09-22-2010, 10:48 PM
And dude, you're fucking retarded if you think coordinators have ANY say so over player personnel. And I mean fucking re-tar-ded. Name 1. Just 1.

-King-
09-22-2010, 10:48 PM
He took over a team with Matt fucking Cassel at qb. If he was after a promotion like OTWP says, then he made absolutely the worst fucking decision he could have made. What owner would say, "DAMN look at that bottom 5 ranked offense. I want that OC!"?

Mecca
09-22-2010, 10:49 PM
Pretty sure it was made pretty obvious to him Matt Cassel was part of taking this job.

OnTheWarpath58
09-22-2010, 10:49 PM
How the fuck did this kid graduate high school?

Der Flöprer
09-22-2010, 10:50 PM
He took over a team with Matt fucking Cassel at qb. If he was after a promotion like OTWP says, then he made absolutely the worst fucking decision he could have made. What owner would say, "DAMN look at that bottom 5 ranked offense. I want that OC!"?

Yeah, because no coach out there is a fucking egomaniac that thinks he can fix any problem around. Come on, dude. I've seen you show some football knowledge. You're grasping at straws tonight. Pro coaches, and athletes aren't egomaniacs? LMAO

He's trying to prove he's the fucking man so he can get another shot at head coaching. It's really not hard to see.

-King-
You can always tell the teenagers on the board. Think about it, kid. Just because he has money, he's going to fucking retire? Where else is he better suited to find some success and try to get back into a head coaching job? Go jump on Hootie's nuts.

Carolina for one?

How the fuck can he have success with Cassel here? WTF are you listening to yourself?

He's looking for success....so he goes to a team with Matt fucking Cassel. Thats like me trying to build military airplanes...so I go to Cessna.

chiefzilla1501
And Matt Schaub was the 90th pick, no chance he's any good right?

Good god. This game?

I would link to the 2000 threads on CP that say you draft a first round QB to be your franchise guy, no exception. And I'm pretty sure you're front and center in a lot of those discussions.

If we're talking about bringing in a franchise QB, shouldn't we be more worried about a 2011 first round pick than talking about a 2nd round QB whose stock free fell after scouts learned more about him?

-King-
09-22-2010, 10:51 PM
Yeah, because no coach out there is a fucking egomaniac that thinks he can fix any problem around. Come on, dude. I've seen you show some football knowledge. You're grasping at straws tonight. Pro coaches, and athletes aren't egomaniacs? LMAO

He's trying to prove he's the fucking man so he can get another shot at head coaching. It's really not hard to see.

He took this job as a challenge? Cmon man. You're the one grasping straws. What? Is he trying to impress other owners by having a miracle story?

SenselessChiefsFan
09-22-2010, 10:52 PM
It's absolutely retarded to assume that Weis has ANY say so over personnel issues, or that he has the ability to refuse job offers because he can't have guys he wants. What? Teams were knocking down his door to hire him? Half the league wanted that guy, really. Come on. I read shit like that, and just assume people have no ****ing clue what they're watching every Sunday. He's a ****ing OC. Head coaches don't always get to "shop for the groceries". Don't be ****ing stupid.

Two things.

#1) Coordinators often have a huge say in who gets drafted. Lets not forget Kris Wilson, or Junior Siavii. The scouting department is often undone by the coaches. The entire organization is involved in who gets selected...well, maybe not secretaries, but just about everyone else. Remember, the coordinators are the ones who will have to work these guys into their game plans. The GM can't do all the scouting, planning and evaluation. The scouts and coaching staffs are huge parts of the process. Now, they can't over rule the GM, but the GM relies heavily on all those involved.

#2) Even if Weis didn't have any other job offers, he didn't need a job this year. He could have sat out for a year and landed one next year. Good coaches know that the right job builds your resume and the wrong one destroys it.

Der Flöprer
09-22-2010, 10:52 PM
Carolina for one?

How the fuck can he have success with Cassel here? WTF are you listening to yourself?

He's looking for success....so he goes to a team with Matt fucking Cassel. Thats like me trying to build military airplanes...so I go to Cessna.

What the fuck? Carolina? Again, you're grasping at straws. No surprise. Teenage angst.

-King-
09-22-2010, 10:53 PM
I don't know why you guys are acting like the Chiefs were the only team Weis could be on. How many other 3 SB winning OCs are there? Do you really think he would have been out long if it wasn't for the Chiefs?

Mecca
Good god. This game?

I would link to the 2000 threads on CP that say you draft a first round QB to be your franchise guy, no exception. And I'm pretty sure you're front and center in a lot of those discussions.

If we're talking about bringing in a franchise QB, shouldn't we be more worried about a 2011 first round pick than talking about a 2nd round QB whose stock free fell after scouts learned more about him?

You do realize there are some people that aren't real sure the Chiefs will ever pick a QB with a high pick right?

-King-
What the fuck? Carolina? Again, you're grasping at straws. No surprise. Teenage angst.

Hey, take that up with Hamas. He's the one who posted the link.

Sweet Daddy Hate
When you fry SPAM in a skillet, it turns out pretty fucking tasty.

OnTheWarpath58

This kid's fumbling around like the "Boom goes the dynamite" clown.

Der Flöprer
09-22-2010, 10:54 PM
He took this job as a challenge? Cmon man. You're the one grasping straws. What? Is he trying to impress other owners by having a miracle story?

LMAO No, not at all.

"Hey Charlie, what's the first thing you're going to do in KC?"

"Fix the quarterback."

Nope. You're right. He's just here to coach the best QB he thinks is out there.

Mecca

His skinny jeans are to tight.

-King-
This kid's fumbling around like the "Boom goes the dynamite" clown.

LMAO and you're the one who thinks Weis wanted this job so he could get a promotion.

-King-
09-22-2010, 10:55 PM
His skinny jeans are to tight.

Yep, and I get pussy in them. When was the last time you got some?

/Hootie.

Mecca
NFL coaching is all about trees and retreads, it's not that hard to understand.

Der Flöprer
LMAO and you're the one who thinks Weis wanted this job so he could get a promotion.

Right, because as a failed head coach for Notre Dame, obviously Charlie has realized that he's just not head coach material and wants nothing to do with the position ever again. ROFL

chiefzilla1501
09-22-2010, 10:56 PM
Yeah, because no coach out there is a ****ing egomaniac that thinks he can fix any problem around. Come on, dude. I've seen you show some football knowledge. You're grasping at straws tonight. Pro coaches, and athletes aren't egomaniacs? LMAO

He's trying to prove he's the ****ing man so he can get another shot at head coaching. It's really not hard to see.

Pure conspiracy theory.

Why are you so convinced he even wants to be a head coach? Weis is a guy who loves coaching players and calling plays, he doesn't strike me as a guy who loves handling the media and organizational issues as part of his job. Or being the guy everyone points the finger at. I think there's as much reason to believe Weis will never head coach again as there is to believe that he will.

-King-
09-22-2010, 10:56 PM
LMAO No, not at all.

"Hey Charlie, what's the first thing you're going to do in KC?"

"Fix the quarterback."

Nope. You're right. He's just here to coach the best QB he thinks is out there.

What? When the hell did I say that? My whole point is that Weis didn't want Clausen. I don't know where you're getting all this other BS from.

-King-
09-22-2010, 10:57 PM
Right, because as a failed head coach for Notre Dame, obviously Charlie has realized that he's just not head coach material and wants nothing to do with the position ever again. ROFL

And the Chiefs was the best way to get one? Are you fucking serious? He's going to lead a bottom 5 offense and you think he's going to get a fucking promotion?

Der Flöprer
09-22-2010, 10:59 PM
What I'm contending is that we don't know what the fuck Charlie wanted. We do know what Scott Pioli wanted, because he's here. And all signs point to Charlie thinking that Jimmy is the real deal. There are plenty of quotes on it. So, to think that Charlie would rather have a college back up, who led the Patriots to a -5 ratio vs. the year before, over a kid who he thinks is a "15 year pro" in the NFL is just dumb shit. Du-umb. I'm sorry, it's not logical.

luv
09-22-2010, 10:59 PM
I wanted Clausen. Oh well. I'm looking forward to seeing how he does Sunday. I think he and Carolina are a good fit.

I completely realize my opinion will be overlooked as I'm commenting in the midst of a penis measuring contest. :D

-King-
09-22-2010, 11:01 PM
What I'm contending is that we don't know what the fuck Charlie wanted. We do know what Scott Pioli wanted, because he's here. And all signs point to Charlie thinking that Jimmy is the real deal. There are plenty of quotes on it. Duh, he's his college coach and obviously a good friend.

Pete Carroll is the only college coach who has chastised a former player.

So, to think that Charlie would rather have a college back up, who led the Patriots to a -5 ratio vs. the year before, over a kid who he thinks is a "15 year pro" in the NFL is just dumb shit. Du-umb. I'm sorry, it's not logical.

I don't think Charlie wants either one.

chiefzilla1501

Gregg Williams was an enormous failure in Buffalo. Romeo Crennel was an enormous failure in Cleveland--he even mentioned that he hated head coaching because he felt burnt out by all the off-coaching responsibilities. Long history of great coordinators who failed as head coaches and then found their love in pure coaching of players.

Not every coordinator is head coaching material nor wants to be. Do you really believe Charlie Weis is a guy who loves the media, loves the media shoving a microphone in the face and asking him constantly why he went for it on 4th and 1, or why he chose to run the ball in this situation or that? Do you really think he's a guy who would love to give up most of his playcalling responsibility or that he wants to be the guy that micromanages the team off the field? I don't know the answer to these things. But I don't think it's at all unreasonable to think that he went back to coordinating because it's what he loves to do, and because he hates some of the added responsibilities that come with being a head coach. A lot of great playcallers are not great head coaches.

Der Flöprer
And the Chiefs was the best way to get one? Are you fucking serious? He's going to lead a bottom 5 offense and you think he's going to get a fucking promotion?

Where the fuck else is he going to go? USC? Jesus man. How many Super Bowl contending teams are in the market for new coordinators? He has familiarity here, and a history of winning with these guys. Jesus.

chiefzilla1501
09-22-2010, 11:02 PM
penis :D

1" penis

Der Flöprer
09-22-2010, 11:03 PM

So Charlie can't lead a bottom 5 offense back from the dead? You think that doesn't play into the equation? How about with a bunch of guys that did the exact same thing in New England, which got him his head coaching gig in Notre Dame in the first place? No. Obviously he's just here for the long haul as an OC. You guys are dreamers.

-King-
09-22-2010, 11:03 PM
Where the fuck else is he going to go? USC? Jesus man. How many Super Bowl contending teams are in the market for new coordinators? He has familiarity here, and a history of winning with these guys. Jesus.

He doesn't have to go to a superbowl contender. But go to a team with a better qb that Matt Cassel.

And he has familiarity in Carolina where according to Hamas' quote, he's very good friends with John Fox and Fox wanted him to be his OC. He could have went there and been with Matt Moore AND Jimmy Clausen...

luv
09-22-2010, 11:05 PM
1" penis

With an 8" girth?

-King-
09-22-2010, 11:06 PM
So Charlie can't lead a bottom 5 offense back from the dead? You think that doesn't play into the equation?

So Charlie came here to be the miracle worker? Great. If that's his goal, then we might have Cassel for a long time while Charlie tries his magic on him.

How about with a bunch of guys that did the exact same thing in New England, which got him his head coaching gig in Notre Dame in the first place? No. Obviously he's just here for the long haul as an OC. You guys are dreamers.

The Patriots were 8th 11th and 20th in points before Weis came on as the OC...

But don't let that stop you.

Der Flöprer
09-22-2010, 11:06 PM
He doesn't have to go to a superbowl contender. But go to a team with a better qb that Matt Cassel.

And he has familiarity in Carolina where according to Hamas' quote, he's very good friends with John Fox and Fox wanted him to be his OC. He could have went there and been with Matt Moore AND Jimmy Clausen...

Umm. He signed well before Jimmy Clausen was drafted. It's all speculation, and that's all I'm trying to say. That, and it's silly to think he came here to retire as an OC. If you're not competitive, you don't last in football as long as Charlie has. He wants another shot at head coaching. I guaranfuckingtee it.

chiefzilla1501
09-22-2010, 11:07 PM
What I'm contending is that we don't know what the **** Charlie wanted. We do know what Scott Pioli wanted, because he's here. And all signs point to Charlie thinking that Jimmy is the real deal. There are plenty of quotes on it. So, to think that Charlie would rather have a college back up, who led the Patriots to a -5 ratio vs. the year before, over a kid who he thinks is a "15 year pro" in the NFL is just dumb shit. Du-umb. I'm sorry, it's not logical.

I'm just pointing to the obvious. That Charlie Weis is a well respected NFL coach with experience grooming and developing NFL QBs. Whether you agree or not, he's considered a QB guru. So again, you have this QB who has the arm, the athleticism, the brains, the mechanics to play the position. No drug problems. No off-the-field issues. Great track record for an accomplished college program.

If an NFL QB guru gives a glowing recommendation for a QB, don't you think that teams would be willing to overlook a few cockiness or attitude issues in exchange for the rest of the package? It just doesn't add up. I don't think Weis would dog one of his players, but for scouts to turn on Clausen in this way indicates there is something they really, really, really did not like about the kid in his evaluations. And if the scouts know it, Weis knows it too. Just because he recommended Clausen as a QB doesn't necessarily mean he wanted him as his own.

-King-
09-22-2010, 11:08 PM
Umm. He signed well before Jimmy Clausen was drafted. It's all speculation, and that's all I'm trying to say. That, and it's silly to think he came here to retire as an OC. If you're not competitive, you don't last in football as long as Charlie has. He wants another shot at head coaching. I guaranfuckingtee it.

I'm going with you. If he wants another shot at head coaching, then he's a stupid fuck. He's hitching his offense to Matt Cassel to try to get a HC position. That's not a wise decision.

luv
09-22-2010, 11:10 PM
I'm going with you. If he wants another shot at head coaching, then he's a stupid fuck. He's hitching his offense to Matt Cassel to try to get a HC position. That's not a wise decision.

Not if Cassel's not here. I'm hoping that's a possibility.

Der Flöprer
09-22-2010, 11:12 PM

Honestly though, if anyone can fix Matt Cassel, it's Charlie Weis. But Matt Cassel is what he is, and I think that's something we can both agree on. Unfixable. Yeah, I just made that word up.

And here's to hoping I eat a big load of shit on that, but I highly doubt it.

KcMizzou
09-22-2010, 11:12 PM
Disclaimer : The following post has nothing to so with the discussion being had in the thread.

Maybe he just likes the kid, and is happy to see him getting his shot. :shrug:

-King-
09-22-2010, 11:14 PM
Honestly though, if anyone can fix Matt Cassel, it's Charlie Weis. But Matt Cassel is what he is, and I think that's something we can both agree on. Unfixable. Yeah, I just made that word up.

And here's to hoping I eat a big load of shit on that, but I highly doubt it.

Eh, I agree. Theres no fixing him.

Disclaimer : The following post has nothing to so with the discussion being had in the thread.

NO WAY! THATS NOT POSSIBLE!!!

Der Flöprer
09-22-2010, 11:15 PM
I guess what it comes down to for me, is that I think Weis knows Cassel is dogshit. So of course he wanted Jimmy, or anyone else he thought he could work with. And who knows what was said behind the scenes before Charlie was hired? It's all speculation.

Even if he was told they were sticking with Matt, Charlie took a 6th round pick by the name of Tom Brady that wasn't on anyone's radar and turned him into a super star. He could've figured he could do the same with Matt. He's sure a helluva lot more comfortable with Scott, Romeo, and Todd (who he's worked with before as well), than he is with John Fox, or anyone else. Why? Because he's had success with those guys before. And all of these guys want to win.

luv
09-22-2010, 11:16 PM

STOP THE INSANITY!

chiefzilla1501
09-22-2010, 11:17 PM

I agree. People are making way too much of a glowing recommendation when we have no idea what that means. Ever fire somebody and then tell them you'll give them a good reference? Have you ever really heard a college head coach speak badly of a first round calibre player? It doesn't happen much. Just because he put in a good word doesn't mean he liked him.

Maybe he did. Maybe he didn't. All that I know is if he put in a good word, his word apparently isn't worth a shit.

chiefzilla1501
09-22-2010, 11:19 PM
I guess what it comes down to for me, is that I think Weis knows Cassel is dogshit. So of course he wanted Jimmy, or anyone else he thought he could work with. And who knows what was said behind the scenes before Charlie was hired? It's all speculation.

Even if he was told they were sticking with Matt, Charlie took a 6th round pick by the name of Tom Brady that wasn't on anyone's radar and turned him into a super star. He could've figured he could do the same with Matt. He's sure a helluva lot more comfortable with Scott, Romeo, and Todd (who he's worked with before as well), than he is with John Fox, or anyone else. Why? Because he's had success with those guys before. And all of these guys want to win.

I mean, nobody really knows the answer.

What I disagree with is the new argument in this thread that's developed that now all of a sudden we need to settle for #50 picks at QB.

Fuck that. Draft a first round QB in 2011. Eric Berry was the right first round pick in 2010. A QB is almost certainly the right pick in 2011.

-King-
09-22-2010, 11:21 PM

I think that Weis never had any intention of drafting Clausen. He would endorse him to other teams, but not see if he could draft him with the Chiefs.

If he really wanted Clausen, he wouldn't have come here. He wouldn't stick himself with a QB who he has to fix, just because all his old friends and buddies are here. That is just stupidity. Thats jumping on a sinking ship just because your friends on there. He wouldn't ruin his reputation like that.

But then again, I'm just a stupid college freshman. Ignore me. I have no clout on this board.

J Diddy
09-22-2010, 11:22 PM
I mean, nobody really knows the answer.

What I disagree with is the new argument in this thread that's developed that now all of a sudden we need to settle for #50 picks at QB.

**** that. Draft a first round QB in 2011. Eric Berry was the right first round pick in 2010. A QB is almost certainly the right pick in 2011.

Just stay away from the second pick in the first round.

Der Flöprer
09-23-2010, 01:17 AM
I think that Weis never had any intention of drafting Clausen. He would endorse him to other teams, but not see if he could draft him with the Chiefs.

If he really wanted Clausen, he wouldn't have come here. He wouldn't stick himself with a QB who he has to fix, just because all his old friends and buddies are here. That is just stupidity. Thats jumping on a sinking ship just because your friends on there. He wouldn't ruin his reputation like that.

But then again, I'm just a stupid college freshman. Ignore me. I have no clout on this board.

Alright dude. You got me. I shouldn't have brought up your age. It's irrelevant. We just have differing opinions, and ultimately we're both fans of the same team. I don't think I'm special around here even if it seemed like it tonight. I'm just passionate about this team. I acted like an ass and you have my apology for it.

Von Dumbass
09-23-2010, 03:25 AM
One of two things happened with Clausen and the Chiefs. Either Charlie Weiss didn't really want him and Pioli listened to him or, Weiss really wanted him and Pioli isn't planning on replacing Casshole.

Short Leash Hootie
09-23-2010, 05:53 AM
For what, saying that my the handful of times I'm around my brother or his friends I have to threaten to beat their asses to get them to act like normal people?

what do you know about normal?

NORMALLY 30 year olds have moved out and support themselves financially by having, you know, a job.

That's normal.

So what do you know about normal?

blaise
09-23-2010, 06:11 AM
And the Chiefs was the best way to get one? Are you ****ing serious? He's going to lead a bottom 5 offense and you think he's going to get a ****ing promotion?

If you take over a crappy team or offense or defense and turn it into something even decent people will say you're a genius for turning it around.